PDA

View Full Version : More stadium talk

churry
15th November 2014, 10:45 AM
Seems like a lot of powerbrokers are at odds over homebush's development.

Future of Sydney�s ANZ Stadium under threat
(http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/future-of-sydneys-anz-stadium-under-threat-as-bigmoney-sports-war-heats-up/story-fnniow7v-1227123591373)
"Meanwhile, NRL boss Dave Smith has hardly been a vocal supporter of ANZ, while the Swans are almost certain to move games back to the SCG beyond 2016."

JPK12
15th November 2014, 01:40 PM
I think a bigger issue would be Mike Fitzpatrick and his massive COI with ANZ stadium. But hey thats one of the many COI in the AFL.

churry
15th November 2014, 10:24 PM
Wow I didn't know that about Fitzpatrick and ANZ stadium... Mike Fitzpatrick’s tricky ANZ stadium conflict of interest | Crikey (http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/06/26/mike-fitzpatricks-tricky-anz-stadium-conflict-of-interest/)

dimelb
16th November 2014, 08:57 AM
Wow I didn't know that about Fitzpatrick and ANZ stadium... Mike Fitzpatrick�s tricky ANZ stadium conflict of interest | Crikey (http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/06/26/mike-fitzpatricks-tricky-anz-stadium-conflict-of-interest/)

That's a very interesting article, written five years ago and quite prophetic in the quoted comments about soccer. It doesn't augur well for the Giants either, let alone Mike Fitzpatrick.

erica
18th November 2014, 09:37 AM
Another article about the propsed changes to ANZ: http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/olympic-venues-new-field-of-dreams-anz-stadiums-350-million-redevelopment-plan/story-fni0cx12-1227126339600

AnnieH
18th November 2014, 10:42 AM
I think our contract runs out at the end of next year anyway, doesn't it?
If the swans were as smart as what I think they are, they'd do away with ANZ all together.
As convenient as it is for me to get there, I like the cauldron atmosphere of the SCG.

jono2707
18th November 2014, 11:20 AM
I think our contract runs out at the end of next year anyway, doesn't it?
If the swans were as smart as what I think they are, they'd do away with ANZ all together.
As convenient as it is for me to get there, I like the cauldron atmosphere of the SCG.

That's the problem - the Swans clearly want out of the arrangement, but with the Fitzpatrick conflict of interest in play, there's still a risk the AFL will sign another contract to our detriment. If so Swans management will have no choice but to continue the "we're happy to play there" line as has been the case in the last few years.

swansrob
18th November 2014, 11:51 AM
That's the problem - the Swans clearly want out of the arrangement, but with the Fitzpatrick conflict of interest in play, there's still a risk the AFL will sign another contract to our detriment. If so Swans management will have no choice but to continue the "we're happy to play there" line as has been the case in the last few years.
This. It's not the Swans' call.

wolftone57
18th November 2014, 12:24 PM
The problem with the negotiating of stadium deals is that if you commit to one operator and suddenly the other operator is defunct you face the real possibility of a huge price rise in the new deal. SCG has been the home of the swans for a long time now but when the World Cup was touted all the stadiums, including the SCG Trust were happy to jump ship. There is no way Soccer could fill the SCG for 'A' league matches except maybe the local derby. But internationals, friendlies, Asian championships etc would be a definite risk to our tenure. But the point is do we want to use ANZ? If it is redesigned it could be a good stadium, especially if done under modern overhanging terraces so the view would be intense even from the top. Enclosing the stadium would also have huge benefits in the years to come, not only for sport but as an entertainment venue. I hate ANZ at this time due to the terrible view from Red Zone. but if the stadium were redesigned on modern grounds I would have no problem going there even though it is a long way for me.

DamY
18th November 2014, 04:46 PM
Agreed wolfie

Untamed Snark
18th November 2014, 06:00 PM
My concern is still the condition of the ground, if they can sort that out as well as improve the seating issues I'm happy.
I sat up in the premium members area for the prelim and I have to admit I can see why Barry likes it there. Pity the view & facilities at the rest of the venue falls short.

churry
18th November 2014, 07:40 PM
If it is redesigned it could be a good stadium, especially if done under modern overhanging terraces so the view would be intense even from the top. Enclosing the stadium would also have huge benefits in the years to come, not only for sport but as an entertainment venue. I hate ANZ at this time due to the terrible view from Red Zone. but if the stadium were redesigned on modern grounds I would have no problem going there even though it is a long way for me.

My concern is still the condition of the ground, if they can sort that out as well as improve the seating issues I'm happy.
I sat up in the premium members area for the prelim and I have to admit I can see why Barry likes it there. Pity the view & facilities at the rest of the venue falls short.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like anything with the top tiers will change. From looking at the video nothing on the top tier will change. The major changes with the stands looks like there will be 2 tiers at both ends of the ground now and all the bottom stands move closer into the ground when soccer or rugby is played so that it is entirely enclosed around the whole ground. So the surface will have to be even worse than it is currently as more turf will be covered and removed each time all the stands move in towards the center...

WolfGang
18th November 2014, 10:02 PM
With the ANZ stadium deal - do GWS have any "home" games at ANZ ??
Or are all the ANZ games - per year - Swans games ??

erica
19th November 2014, 08:10 AM
With the ANZ stadium deal - do GWS have any "home" games at ANZ ??
Or are all the ANZ games - per year - Swans games ??

GWS didn't exist when the contract was signed with the AFL. If they earn a home final, I guess it will be at ANZ.

aardvark
19th November 2014, 09:24 AM
If they earn a home final, I guess it will be at ANZ.

I can just see it, GWS V Freo. Crowd 6029. What an atmosphere! They'd only have to open 2 Bays.:frown

Jewels
19th November 2014, 10:08 AM
I can just see it, GWS V Freo. Crowd 6029. What an atmosphere! They'd only have to open 2 Bays.:frown

That's mean.....

True, but mean.

Industrial Fan
19th November 2014, 11:13 AM
So, the roof is going ahead. I know the contract has been awarded but not sure of the program or if the stadium will be closed over a winter to build it.

JPK12
19th November 2014, 11:22 AM
That's mean.....

True, but mean.

Mean and insulting to freo.

GWS can play in front of 10 support staff and two real fans for all i care and i wont feel one bit of sympathy.

ernie koala
19th November 2014, 06:19 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't look like anything with the top tiers will change. From looking at the video nothing on the top tier will change. The major changes with the stands looks like there will be 2 tiers at both ends of the ground now and all the bottom stands move closer into the ground when soccer or rugby is played so that it is entirely enclosed around the whole ground. So the surface will have to be even worse than it is currently as more turf will be covered and removed each time all the stands move in towards the center...

This is right.
The existing stands and general structure will remain as is. The only change to seating will be the bottom tier of end stands moving in for Rugby and soccer.
The only change AFL fans will notice will be the roof.....And the added substandard surface close to goals at both ends, that these moving stands will cause.
Throwing hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars at this crap venue is, IMO, a shortsighted, disgraceful, decision.
It will only marginally improve what is presently a poor viewing experience for most seats, in one of the most uninspiring, soulless, venues in the country.

jono2707
19th November 2014, 10:38 PM
This is right.
The existing stands and general structure will remain as is. The only change to seating will be the bottom tier of end stands moving in for Rugby and soccer.

Actually Rugby League will be the biggest users of the ground post restructure, as it is now, with a good number of NRL games there. Rugby and soccer will continue to play plenty of internationals there, plus the odd big Super Rugby game and the Sydney FC v Wanderers derby would probably be a good fit too. The changes should suit all 3 of those codes quite well, to the detriment of AFL. Surely they'd stop playing AFL games there after they've finished?

ernie koala
20th November 2014, 10:29 AM
Actually Rugby League will be the biggest users of the ground post restructure, as it is now, with a good number of NRL games there. Rugby and soccer will continue to play plenty of internationals there, plus the odd big Super Rugby game and the Sydney FC v Wanderers derby would probably be a good fit too. The changes should suit all 3 of those codes quite well, to the detriment of AFL. Surely they'd stop playing AFL games there after they've finished?

I was being lazy when I wrote "rugby & soccer"....I meant both rugby codes.

Anyway the point is, as you and I both say, there will be no improvement to viewing distances, angles etc, for AFL games.

stevoswan
20th November 2014, 09:05 PM
Personally, I would love it if we never played at ANZ again. That is purely a club oriented opinion, but we always play better at the SCG, and the atmosphere is heaps better there. On TV as well. Soccer can have ANZ, and stay away from the SCG! Cricket and the Swans only.....

mcs
20th November 2014, 09:53 PM
Personally, I would love it if we never played at ANZ again. That is purely a club oriented opinion, but we always play better at the SCG, and the atmosphere is heaps better there. On TV as well. Soccer can have ANZ, and stay away from the SCG! Cricket and the Swans only.....

I think you should look at our overall record at ANZ before you conclude 'we always play better at the SCG' - its certainly nowhere near that clear cut. We have a very good overall record at ANZ - especially when you consider a hell of a lot of the losses has come at the hands of Collingwood.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for more swans games at the SCG, but that isn't to say our record at ANZ is not pretty decent.

aardvark
21st November 2014, 07:17 AM
Personally I don't care where we play so long as we never again play like we did in the Grand Final.:frown

YvonneH
21st November 2014, 07:46 AM
Personally I don't care where we play so long as we never again play like we did in the Grand Final.:frown

I agree with that.

Also a lot of our wins at ANZ were in Finals, so they should count for more (if you know what I mean).

chuckie
21st November 2014, 08:50 AM
Tadhg Kennelly on ABC radio before the last game against Richmond said that playing on ANZ Stadium is like playing 6 quarters of footy, it's that draining on your legs. He also mentioned during the game that with the Swans playing consecutive games there that if they lose to Freo they will probably not make the Grand Final.
Maybe playing 3 games in four weeks at the @@@@@@ heap was a small reason for looking so flat in the grand final.
It might be interesting to check how we have fared in the past after playing there.
The sooner we leave that ground the better.

barry
21st November 2014, 09:26 AM
ANZ is a superb venue, and anyone who witnessed the preliminary final this year, would testify to that. Schedule planning to avoid AFL straight after league games is the key.

ANZ v Moore park is a classic sydney contest. The blue bloods dont want any tax payers money "wasted" out west. Fact is, most marginal seats are out west, so thats where the money is starting to go these days.

As far as ANZ plans, the are aiming high and expecting low. They want a roof, retractable end stands, and restaurant precinct.

They will get, a roof, and a gradual build up of entertainment options around the ground.

A roof will be AWESOME.

mariachi
21st November 2014, 10:43 AM
Interesting admission from the power brokers that Homebush is broken. And that the taxpayers need to fork out to try to fix a privately run business. Did taxpayers fork out for the new SCG stand? (Not sure) I don't like Homebush but does a roof and more turf damaged by rolling stands help? What next? Air-con? Soft. Personally in these times of "budget emergency" (not) I'd rather the money went to public transport or social services.

aardvark
21st November 2014, 12:59 PM
A roof will be AWESOME.

A pity everything else about the ground will still suck! It's like shutting the lid on a toilet.....just my opinion.:smile:

ernie koala
22nd November 2014, 08:26 AM
A pity everything else about the ground will still suck! It's like shutting the lid on a toilet.

Excellent analogy aadvark...But you're being a little unfair on toilets.

mcs
22nd November 2014, 02:48 PM
Interesting admission from the power brokers that Homebush is broken. And that the taxpayers need to fork out to try to fix a privately run business. Did taxpayers fork out for the new SCG stand? (Not sure) I don't like Homebush but does a roof and more turf damaged by rolling stands help? What next? Air-con? Soft. Personally in these times of "budget emergency" (not) I'd rather the money went to public transport or social services.

I agree- I'm pretty ropable as a taxpayer that they want basically 2/3rds of the funding from the Government for the project. As good as a roof on ANZ could be, why should taxpayers be forking out for it in all honesty when, despite it being a crap venue in the large part for AFL, it still is a pretty high quality stadium compared to some of the rest . A lot of better things for the Government to spend the money on - let the private sector fund it, if there is a genuine return on the investment, they'll soon find the money.

Matt80
22nd November 2014, 03:08 PM
ANZ is a superb venue, and anyone who witnessed the preliminary final this year, would testify to that. Schedule planning to avoid AFL straight after league games is the key.

ANZ v Moore park is a classic sydney contest. The blue bloods dont want any tax payers money "wasted" out west. Fact is, most marginal seats are out west, so thats where the money is starting to go these days.

As far as ANZ plans, the are aiming high and expecting low. They want a roof, retractable end stands, and restaurant precinct.

They will get, a roof, and a gradual build up of entertainment options around the ground.

A roof will be AWESOME.

Dave Smith and the NRL are lobbying the State Government to build a new rectangle stadium at Moore Park to hold 65,000. They are also lobbying for an upgrade of Parramatta Stadium to hold 40,000. This is in today's Daily Telegraph.

If the State Government backs the Dave Smith plan then ANZ will be doomed.

cos789
24th November 2014, 05:49 PM
Sydney certainly is the best example of shelling out good money on poor stadia.
A host of rl suburban grounds, RU, SFS next to the SCG and ANZ.
Now they want to throw more money at an under utilised and sufficiently large SFS.
They want to throw even more money at an over utilised but poorly supported vacuous ANZ stadium that has less good viewing seats than the SCG.
Wait a while and the case for a better WS stadium will probably disappear as well.
You'd have better chance of GWS becoming a powerhouse and providing a return on ANZ.

top40
25th November 2014, 11:10 PM
Tadhg Kennelly on ABC radio before the last game against Richmond said that playing on ANZ Stadium is like playing 6 quarters of footy, it's that draining on your legs. He also mentioned during the game that with the Swans playing consecutive games there that if they lose to Freo they will probably not make the Grand Final.
Maybe playing 3 games in four weeks at the @@@@@@ heap was a small reason for looking so flat in the grand final.
It might be interesting to check how we have fared in the past after playing there.
The sooner we leave that ground the better.

Interesting analysis by Tadhg. Gives weight to this stat: since 2004 the Swans have played 7 finals games at Homebush where they went on to play the next final game the very next week. And their record for those 7 succeeding games played one week later? 6 losses and just one win, being the 2012 Grannie.

barry
26th November 2014, 07:16 AM
Interesting analysis by Tadhg. Gives weight to this stat: since 2004 the Swans have played 7 finals games at Homebush where they went on to play the next final game the very next week. And their record for those 7 succeeding games played one week later? 6 losses and just one win, being the 2012 Grannie.

What's the post final record like for the SCG.?

0 wins?

mariachi
26th November 2014, 04:04 PM
Umm. 2005 ring a bell?

barry
26th November 2014, 04:51 PM
1 win.

churry
26th November 2014, 10:47 PM
What a historic win that win was.

liz
27th November 2014, 12:09 AM
1 win.

100% record (since we started playing at Homebush and thus have any comparison at all).

barry
27th November 2014, 10:26 AM
100% record (since we started playing at Homebush and thus have any comparison at all).

Why would you exclude 1996 and other home finals at the SCG ?

As an aside, the greatest inequality in AFL is the grand final is always played at the home of Collingwood, Hawthorn, and Richmond. We need to be able to offer a viable alternative on the assumption that the AFL grows some balls, and stops behaving like the VFL. Who knows when that will happen, certainly not with Gillion McGuire in charge, but when it does happen, things move quickly. Will the SCG be suitable. No. Will a roofed 85,000 seat stadium be.. yes.

sprite
27th November 2014, 11:58 AM
Umm Barry - the AFl has a contract with MCC/MCG that the GF will be held at the"G" for many many years to come.

So forget about any chance of the GF being moved.

aardvark
27th November 2014, 12:46 PM
Where's Big Al with his "flogging a dead horse" jpeg when you need him?

barry
27th November 2014, 02:53 PM
Umm Barry - the AFl has a contract with MCC/MCG that the GF will be held at the"G" for many many years to come.

So forget about any chance of the GF being moved.

The AFL, or the leftovers of the VFL. ?

MCG contracts can and have been broken.