PDA

View Full Version : Mills & Dunkley train with us

1st December 2014, 07:20 AM
I notice that Callum Mills and Josh Dunkley are training with us this week as part of their NAB AFL Academy program.

Really nervous that Edd, I mean VF, I mean AFL will conspire against us next year so we can't take both in the draft.

Conor_Dillon
1st December 2014, 08:57 AM
Hopefully they just make us use 2 picks on each...our first 4 picks for those two jets is a huge bonus!

ernie koala
1st December 2014, 09:59 PM
Emma Quayle sticking up for the Northern Academies..Keep it up Emma !

Early days, but northern academies start boosting the AFL draft pool (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/early-days-but-northern-academies-start-boosting-the-afl-draft-pool-20141201-11xxmr.html)

Hope she's right, and "tinkering" is all that happens...But I doubt it.

I get the feeling we'll be made to pay through the nose for Mills and Dunkley

1st December 2014, 11:40 PM
Good balanced article, please take note Eddie you histrionic one eyed moron.

I see Jordan Foote will be pre listed by us, anyone got any info on him?

Auntie.Gerald
2nd December 2014, 06:31 AM
Draft prospect: Jordan Foote - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-21/draft-prospect-jordan-foote)

182cm and 74kg - inside mid

I think he is a very solid young player..........with out being outstanding........has a high work rate........not overly quick but has very good vision and a solid kick.........similar to Lloyd

S.S. Bleeder
7th December 2014, 03:42 PM
I'm not confident in getting both players (Mills and Dunkley). The VFL, McGuire, Newbold and Gordon clearly don't want us to have them. Look at what happened with the trade ban. There was no logic to it and I suspect that there will be no logic to the new f/s rule.

You would have heard McLachlan talking about "phantom trialing" a new f/s system during the draft; Shake up possible for father-son and academy bidding - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-27/fatherson-shakeup).

I'm not sure of the intricate details but I believe that all father/son (including academy) selections will be graded somehow. I suspect he will get McGuire, Newbold, Gordon and a few other together to vote on their value. The higher the graded value of a player, the less chance that he will be able to make his way to a top club. For example, the top half a dozen clubs on the ladder will be unable to draft a player if he is rated as being a top 30 selection (I don't know the figures BTW just guessing). The next half a dozen clubs will be unable to draft a player rated in the top 10. I believe that this will be the VFL's way of making it hard for us to get Mills and/or Dunkley without affecting the abilities of The Suns or GWS to get their good academy players (whilst they are in the lower half of the ladder).

There must be someone out their who has read about or knows the full details of the proposed method to be used. If you know I would love to hear the details about it.

What p&*$^s me off is that this was never an issue when Danihers, Hird, Viney, McDonald, Moore, Ablett, Watson, Fletcher, Hawkins, Scarlett, etc, etc. were drafted but it only seems to be an issue when the Swans are likely to get some benefit. Vic clubs have benefitted the most;
861 Geelong 9 (M Scarlett 284, G Ablett 192)
637 Richmond 5 (M Richardson 282, J Bowden 253)
612 Collingwood 9 (T Cloke 153, H Shaw 174)
553 Essendon 4 (D Fletcher 365, J Watson 154)
526 West Coast 4 (A McIntosh 242, B Cousins 238)
405 Carlton 4 (L Whitnall 216, J Waite 154)

ernie koala
7th December 2014, 03:55 PM
I don't know the details but read something about it a while back..

It was something along the lines of grading players with a point score, which then relates back to the draft pick, or picks,

required(by giving them a score value),.

So for example if a player is rated as a No.5 pick.....value 80 points

And your 1st pick is 18....value 45 points

Then you would have to come up with another 35 points from later, or traded, picks. Possibly even from the next years draft.

But Ican't remember where I read this scenario, so may be complete bull.

Bloods05
7th December 2014, 04:31 PM
I'm not confident in getting both players (Mills and Dunkley). The VFL, McGuire, Newbold and Gordon clearly don't want us to have them. Look at what happened with the trade ban. There was no logic to it and I suspect that there will be no logic to the new f/s rule.

You would have heard McLachlan talking about "phantom trialing" a new f/s system during the draft; Shake up possible for father-son and academy bidding - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-27/fatherson-shakeup).

I'm not sure of the intricate details but I believe that all father/son (including academy) selections will be graded somehow. I suspect he will get McGuire, Newbold, Gordon and a few other together to vote on their value. The higher the graded value of a player, the less chance that he will be able to make his way to a top club. For example, the top half a dozen clubs on the ladder will be unable to draft a player if he is rated as being a top 30 selection (I don't know the figures BTW just guessing). The next half a dozen clubs will be unable to draft a player rated in the top 10. I believe that this will be the VFL's way of making it hard for us to get Mills and/or Dunkley without affecting the abilities of The Suns or GWS to get their good academy players (whilst they are in the lower half of the ladder).

There must be someone out their who has read about or knows the full details of the proposed method to be used. If you know I would love to hear the details about it.

What p&*$^s me off is that this was never an issue when Danihers, Hird, Viney, McDonald, Moore, Ablett, Watson, Fletcher, Hawkins, Scarlett, etc, etc. were drafted but it only seems to be an issue when the Swans are likely to get some benefit. Vic clubs have benefitted the most;
861 Geelong 9 (M Scarlett 284, G Ablett 192)
637 Richmond 5 (M Richardson 282, J Bowden 253)
612 Collingwood 9 (T Cloke 153, H Shaw 174)
553 Essendon 4 (D Fletcher 365, J Watson 154)
526 West Coast 4 (A McIntosh 242, B Cousins 238)
405 Carlton 4 (L Whitnall 216, J Waite 154)

What is even more annoying is that we haven't even got that benefit yet, and it is far from certain that we will.

The worst thing I heard Gillon say (in fact the only "justification" I have heard from him) was that "the Swans can't have everything". Of course we have nothing of the sort, but the fact that he thinks we do is enormously concerning.

Auntie.Gerald
7th December 2014, 11:15 PM
ps ernie - great shot of you and ted :)

Conor_Dillon
8th December 2014, 08:19 AM
Paige Cardona TAC Cup Expert and AFL Talent Scout (http://www.paigecardona.com/#!30-Players-to-Watch-in-2015/c1iqa/FEFB38BD-D9BE-49C8-B6FF-D9E41FE0FFCA)

Good little write up on both boys here!

For anyone that can't be bothered following the link...

Callum Mills
North Shore
Midfielder
Height: 186cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 04/02/2997

On the open market Callum Mills would already have one hand on the coveted title as next year�s No.1 prospect, that is how special he is. Eligible to Sydney as a Swans academy player, Mills burnt off all that came near him in 2014 and put in a strong showing at the National Championships and lit up the TAC Cup competition in his several appearances. Mills ticks a lot of boxes, and it�s why some recruiters think he�s a step ahead of Heeney; if that�s possible. He is a prolific accumulator, a strong mark, an elite kick, handy in traffic, sound in front of goal, his defensive work rate is first class, and he brings others into the game. He is every bit a ball-magnet, and has a great blend of his contested and uncontested side, whilst his versatility, pace and leadership are also highly regarded. Arguably the toughest player of next year�s draft class to find a weakness in. Averaged 21 disposals at 67 per cent disposal efficiency, including four marks, five tackles and five clearances over three games.

Josh Dunkley
Gippsland Power
Midfielder
Height: 187cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 9/1/1997

The son of club great Andrew Dunkley, Josh Dunkley�s year at the Gippsland Power and for Vic Country had recruiters around the country believing he was capable of being drafted this year rather than waiting until 2015. Dunkley is a man-child, his nous around the stoppages and in front of goal has him presenting almost as a �complete package� midfielder who does everything well. Dunkley�s versatility is his greatest gift, he�s been used all over the ground and has played each position with distinction. He navigates his way through traffic with ease, and is rarely pressured into coughing up the ball. He makes good decisions by hand and foot and is a strong mark overhead, tackles with a ferocity and is regarded by his peers at both Vic Country and Gippsland as a strong leader. Averaged 16 disposals at 65 per cent disposal efficiency, including four marks, four tackles and four clearances over five games.

sharp9
8th December 2014, 01:23 PM
So Dunkley might be a first rounder too?? (on Open market). Strewth!

Conor_Dillon
8th December 2014, 03:30 PM
I think a lot of people are rating him a top 10 at this stage! Most of the other 17 year olds would have much more scope for physical development than him though so that might bring him back to the pack slightly.

Stew Maxfield's son Jesse has also been added to the (Dandenong?) underage development squad...I'm not sure if it is Dandenong or not but one of the TAC cup teams!

jono2707
8th December 2014, 04:06 PM
From what I saw of the national championships this year, I was very excited we were landing Heeney in this draft, but even happier about Mills for next year. He was an absolute star in the making.

If we need to forego some later draft picks, or some other fair 'penalty' to land Mills and Dunkley, we'll still be well ahead after next years draft with those two added to Heeney this year.

ernie koala
8th December 2014, 04:18 PM
ps ernie - great shot of you and ted :)

That's daughter of Ernie.

S.S. Bleeder
8th December 2014, 04:43 PM
That's daughter of Ernie.

Hubba, hubba. My sons looking for a GF. Do you live in Melb?

ernie koala
8th December 2014, 05:06 PM
Hubba, hubba. My sons looking for a GF. Do you live in Melb?

I'm starting to get a little uncomfortable with this topic....

Though, I always thought Ted would make an excellent son in law...

Auntie.Gerald
8th December 2014, 07:22 PM
LOL

i was guessing that wasnt you Ernie and full marks for trying !!!!

:clap:

Doctor
14th December 2014, 10:33 PM
Meanwhile the rest of the Academy boys from 15-17 (next year's 16s-18s) had the last session of their six week benchmarking program today. There is some serious talent coming through folks.

aardvark
14th December 2014, 10:52 PM
Meanwhile the rest of the Academy boys from 15-17 (next year's 16s-18s) had the last session of their six week benchmarking program today. There is some serious talent coming through folks.

Shhhh, fat Eddie has ears everywhere!

Auntie.Gerald
15th December 2014, 07:40 AM
doctor do you mean athletically or skill wise or both ?

goswannies
15th December 2014, 11:32 AM
Meanwhile the rest of the Academy boys from 15-17 had the last session of their six week benchmarking program today. There is some serious talent coming through folks.

doctor do you mean athletically or skill wise or both ?

Auntie G, I'm glad you typed athletically & not aesthetically ;)

Doctor
17th December 2014, 06:39 PM
I mean both. These kids in the 16s, for example, have been in the Academy for 4 years now. They have had 4 years of learning skills at the top level, but also the way the club wants them to play. Leaving individual players aside, the groups are getting deeper in terms of talent IMO, and that's what this whole process was about.

S.S. Bleeder
17th December 2014, 09:12 PM
I mean both. These kids in the 16s, for example, have been in the Academy for 4 years now. They have had 4 years of learning skills at the top level, but also the way the club wants them to play. Leaving individual players aside, the groups are getting deeper in terms of talent IMO, and that's what this whole process was about.

I don't think there are any potentials in the next couple of years that will be worth our 1-2 round picks (unless there is a very late developer that springs up). That's why it is so important that we get Mills and Dunkley. Apparently there are some potential guns in the under 15 bracket however.

Doctor
19th December 2014, 11:20 AM
It's the 15s I was referring to (ie - next year's 16s).

annew
4th January 2015, 01:33 PM
I noticed that Scott Pendlebury thanked Josh Dunkley for helping him train over the off season

Dosser
4th January 2015, 05:23 PM
Can we start a rumor that Pendles us heading up north now? I wanna see Eddie.

dimelb
5th January 2015, 09:07 AM
Can we start a rumor that Pe:Dndles us heading up north now? I wanna see Eddie.

:D

barry
5th January 2015, 10:21 AM
One draft pick = one player.

Anything more complicated than that is just BS.

ugg
5th January 2015, 11:16 AM
Mills 'embedded' with GWS and Dunkley with Hawthorn.

Academy youngsters head to clubs before US trip - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-05/academy-players-at-clubs)

churry
5th January 2015, 01:25 PM
Mills 'embedded' with GWS and Dunkley with Hawthorn.

Academy youngsters head to clubs before US trip - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-05/academy-players-at-clubs)

Woah Mills training with GWS is interesting...

Conor_Dillon
5th January 2015, 01:29 PM
Woah Mills training with GWS is interesting...

It is purely because he couldn't train with the Swans again and GWS are the next closest for him.

churry
5th January 2015, 01:41 PM
Ahhh... Thanks for clarifying. Wouldn't be surprised if they are thinking of potentially throwing a big offer his way to try and shake things up like they did with Tom Mitchell.

liz
5th January 2015, 01:51 PM
Ahhh... Thanks for clarifying. Wouldn't be surprised if they are thinking of potentially throwing a big offer his way to try and shake things up like they did with Tom Mitchell.

Unless they are already planning to tank to secure the number one draft pick, they can't really do that. In the year that Mitchell was drafted, they were guaranteed the first three picks in the draft so they knew they could take him if he chose to turn down his FS rights.

aardvark
5th January 2015, 01:52 PM
I'm not so sure GWS would want Mills that badly. Besides a week with them will just reinforce how much better our club is.

baskin
5th January 2015, 05:08 PM
I was a little worried when I first read the article as the Swans were listed as 'nil' players attending. I suspected players weren't allowed to train with us because Eddie had complained again. I notice the list has been changed since then. I will think no further bad thoughts of Eddie ....... for today.

WauchopeAnalyst
8th January 2015, 09:44 PM
A kid from Coffs Harbour, Jake Brown, could be a gun. Great kick, good vision, runs all day, smart and speed. Won the first 3km and 2nd in the second. North Academy smashed the city kids in all running tests. Possibly moving to Sydney and 2 more years in the Academy. Could be anything. Needs a bit of beef and muscle.

RogueSwan
8th January 2015, 10:26 PM
A kid from Coffs Harbour, Jake Brown, could be a gun.
What local club does/did he play for?

liz
13th January 2015, 01:09 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-13/draft-prospect-goes-west

Another fluff piece from the AFL about Mills. But good enough to make us feel warm and fuzzy about snaring another quality midfielder in this year's draft.

Conor_Dillon
14th January 2015, 09:56 AM
Ahhh he's going to be a gun! Will be good if he can sneak in another 5 or 6 NEAFL games this year

Skeparovic
14th January 2015, 08:51 PM
Josh Dunkley has a blog:

Tough start for top AFL draft prospects at Florida training camp - M.afl.com.au (http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-14/tough-start-for-top-talent)

As well as the players and staff, there are 14 clubs represented on the tour by AFL recruiters, and we were introduced to them this morning.

Having spent last week training at Hawthorn and some time at the Sydney Swans late last year, I know a few of the recruiters and the tour will be a good chance to get to know them better.

Scott Clayton from Gold Coast spoke to us and said they see the trip as a valuable exercise in observing how we interact, behave and conduct ourselves, and I think we all understand that.

A lot of people have asked me about the Swans and whether I would like to go there as a father-son player if the opportunity comes up later in the year.

At this point in time there's still so much water to flow under the bridge and so many things to work on, and I haven't really thought about it too much.

14th January 2015, 08:56 PM
Josh Dunkley has a blog:

Tough start for top AFL draft prospects at Florida training camp - M.afl.com.au (http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-14/tough-start-for-top-talent)

A lot of people have asked me about the Swans and whether I would like to go there as a father-son player if the opportunity comes up later in the year.

At this point in time there's still so much water to flow under the bridge and so many things to work on, and I haven't really thought about it too much.

A simple "yes" would have been nice :p

liz
14th January 2015, 09:55 PM
A simple "yes" would have been nice :p

To be fair to Josh, his chances of getting to the Swans have been put into question by Eddie's pouting. He will realise that there is a chance that the Swans might be forced to choose between him and Mills, so a circumspect response is not out of place.

It's a pretty well written piece for an 18 year old. Assuming it hasn't had a thorough editing from someone, it restores my faith in the Australian education system. Not a grammatical error in sight (that I could spot). And decently composed too - informative, respectful yet still with a little humour.

Ludwig
14th January 2015, 11:52 PM
To be fair to Josh, his chances of getting to the Swans have been put into question by Eddie's pouting. He will realise that there is a chance that the Swans might be forced to choose between him and Mills, so a circumspect response is not out of place.
:miserable: Don't say that, even if it is true.

I agree that Josh was properly diplomatic with his answer.

But what surprised me was the part about Bob Hawke:

With some time to kill, we had a walk around Sydney Airport and happened to spot former Prime Minister Bob Hawke exchanging money.
It is really shocking that a former PM still has to work at the foreign exchange desk at his age. You would think that he would have enough money to retire. Unless .............. Josh meant that Bob Hawke was the customer doing the currency exchange. But surely Bob would know you get the worst rates changing money at the airport. Certainly a former Prime Minister, in charge of the finances of an entire nation, wouldn't be so wasteful with his own money. Unless ..................... well, that would explain why the budget is always in deficit. Unless .............. maybe Josh's ghost-writer made the whole thing up just to fill space. I once had a job doing that sort of stuff. Now I doubt that Bob Hawke was even at the airport.

Here's Bob in his usual pose at the cricket, not at the airport:
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2012/01/06/1226238/452073-bob-hawke-skolling-beer-at-cricket.jpg

And here's Bob on his day off from working the foreign exchange desk at the airport, making a little extra cash doing vaudeville:
http://www.shockmansion.com/wp-content/myimages/2013/09/823837-bob-hawke.jpg

Hard not to like Bob.

wyatt
15th January 2015, 05:18 AM
Looks like Eddie's sent in the big guns to try too woo Dunkley Jr. away from the Swans. Will he stop at nothing to destroy us???

"Over summer, Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury texted me when he was in Sale during Christmas break asking if I was up for some training with him, and of course I was never going to knock back that opportunity."

To be fair, he followed with this...

"As I've played all my local footy in Sale, we're pretty close friends with the Pendlebury family and it was great to get some training in with him to prepare for this camp and the year to come."

15th January 2015, 01:17 PM
Looks like Eddie's sent in the big guns to try too woo Dunkley Jr. away from the Swans. Will he stop at nothing to destroy us???

"Over summer, Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury texted me when he was in Sale during Christmas break asking if I was up for some training with him, and of course I was never going to knock back that opportunity."

"As I've played all my local footy in Sale, we're pretty close friends with the Pendlebury family and it was great to get some training in with him to prepare for this camp and the year to come."
Wonder what Chins would've said if we'd had Hanners drive Buddy down to Darcy Moore's place for some training before Moore accepted the father son selection

S.S. Bleeder
15th January 2015, 01:26 PM

Pendels and Dunks have been friend for years. They are from the same area and I think club.

I wouldn't be too concerned about someone trying to woo him. I'd definately be concerned about what F/S and academy rules the VFL introduce.

18th January 2015, 01:58 PM
Pendels and Dunks have been friend for years. They are from the same area and I think club.

I wouldn't be too concerned about someone trying to woo him. I'd definately be concerned about what F/S and academy rules the VFL introduce.

If Josh Dunkley can get to the Swans via F/S he won't say no.

Collingwood have 1/18th of a chance of getting him via the ND, make that 1/17th because our first rounder will definitely be used on Mills.

Primmy
18th January 2015, 02:43 PM
Sheeze I hope he doesn't kick like dunks! Goal Square, three meters, kicks out on the full......practice match I have never forgotten. Love Big Dunks hands and body density, couldn't be moved, but ....

Remember the little tacker at training though......1997ish