PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Next gen

Simo
23rd January 2015, 10:47 PM
Long time supporter, 40 yrs, frustrated, confused, angry......realist

We will be ok, the crap we are going through, re afl, Eddie, punished for what.....?
We have some of the best players in the afl, and they are hurting. If we get mills next year , our mid field is set for the next 10'yrs, the fwd line is the best in the afl..this year they will be fit. Huge upside. Back line...issues yes, if AJ can come back on 2016 , he was almost our best player for his time, the biggest steal. But that our danger... Tall back, although allir moves with silk, get reid back, rohan, the new drafts look ok.....btw nankervis..is an animal, waiting to go

YvonneH
24th January 2015, 08:31 AM
Love your optimism. Hope all goes according to what you have posted.

Matt80
24th January 2015, 08:50 AM
I'm looking forward to the Heeney V Mitchell battle for a place in the senior midfield.

Judging by Heeney's video appearance, he is not looking for a developing year in the reserves.
He wants a senior place and is not afraid to say so.

If all the senior midfield are fit, it could come down to a battle between these two for a midfield place.

Ludwig
24th January 2015, 12:46 PM
Rohan Connelly, for what it's worth, recently suggested that it was time to play Reid in defence, something I have supported for some time. I think Mitchell will be a certain starter if he remains fit; the battle for next spot may be between Heeney and Jones. Towers may also find a spot at HF if Reid goes to defence.

wolftone57
26th January 2015, 06:45 PM
I think the midfield will be tweaked a bit. I think there is a place for both Heeney and Mitchell. I also think Lloyd could be used as another Ryano, a half forward with a license to roam. The doubt for me is the viability or our elder statesmen for a whole season. I don't think Goodes and Shaw will last a whole season without injury. Goodes always starts the preseason in the rehab group even if he isn't still injured so that tells me they nurse him along. Shaw started that way last year but I think is with the main group this year.

Will Teddy be able to sustain his form? He was incredible at times last year. Reg is more of a worry as I think he has lost the grunt. I think he is looking for a Retirement Fund at another club at the end of this year, same as Mal did this year. will he have the drive to win another premiership if he is leaving at the end of the year? Will Dane Rampe be able to repeat his year? Who does slot into the backline? A lot of vexing questions. The day I was at training I didn't see Macca playing in a defensive role but that may change. Maybe Harry back?

Reid is the problematic one. He has so much potential as a CHF. His marking can be sublime. When Tip was out he bagged 3 & 4 goals in matches and was travelling really well. When tippet & Pyke came back I think he lost his identity. No role for Sammy, just a second ruck get out of the way of the big boys. Sad as he was playing really well. I think Longmire stuffed up and should have given him a specific forward role not just dummy. His marking is too good to waste. He is not LRT. While I like LRT he wasn't anything but a makeshift defensive forward/ruck. If we got a few goals out of him good. But Sammy is different, he can be a match winner both forward and back.

Bring on the NAB Challenge. I can't wait to get to Drumoyne (Good Scottish name) Oval.

Ludwig
26th January 2015, 07:18 PM
If Reid plays back, then we are well covered there. I prefer to see Reid playing on someone like Gunston rather than Rampe, and let Rampe assume more of the rebound Malceski type role. I don't think Macca needs much practice to play HB. He can just slot right in if needed. We should have plenty of options down back with Rohan there now. We also have Jones and Heeney who would more likely start at HB than in the midfield.

Reid playing back also opens up a spot for either Towers or BJ in the forward line. It's time for at least one of them to challenge for a spot this year. We can rethink the positions once Goodes retires. But for now Reid would be a 4th tall forward, which is something we really don't need, especially when the 1st 3 are so strong.

I thought Reg had a solid year in 2014. I know he's a free agent, but I doubt if he will command the same kind of interest that Mal did, although I can see Adelaide having some interest if the loss of Truck hurts a lot this year. We should be well positioned now for a transition in the backline with the addition of 3 KPPs added to the stable through the draft.

wolftone57
26th January 2015, 07:31 PM
If Reid plays back, then we are well covered there. I prefer to see Reid playing on someone like Gunston rather than Rampe, and let Rampe assume more of the rebound Malceski type role. I don't think Macca needs much practice to play HB. He can just slot right in if needed. We should have plenty of options down back with Rohan there now. We also have Jones and Heeney who would more likely start at HB than in the midfield.

Reid playing back also opens up a spot for either Towers or BJ in the forward line. It's time for at least one of them to challenge for a spot this year. We can rethink the positions once Goodes retires. But for now Reid would be a 4th tall forward, which is something we really don't need, especially when the 1st 3 are so strong.

I thought Reg had a solid year in 2014. I know he's a free agent, but I doubt if he will command the same kind of interest that Mal did, although I can see Adelaide having some interest if the loss of Truck hurts a lot this year. We should be well positioned now for a transition in the backline with the addition of 3 KPPs added to the stable through the draft.

I agree we are not short of defenders. That is why I prefer Reid in the forward line for structure. Goodes is not getting any younger and I believe this will be his last season. I don't think we will play the same back strategy we have with Mal. I think we played that too long anyway. It was so bloody obvious what we were going to do. Mal to Macca, Macca back to Mal. Mal to Shaw, Shaw tries to run, Shaw back to Mal. Shaw to Mal, Mal to Shaw or Macca. Each time we used the same players to run the ball. Then Rampe did it when Shaw was out. He was in the end a player in the band too. Too obvious. But so was the placement of the ball, left hand or defensive side every time except when there was a player so free he could have had a cut lunch and an ice cream. Then we don't follow up quickly we hold the ball up and try to centre it. If we get a run on we always try to open up the corridor, so does everybody else really. But We need to criss cross the centre to free up forwards sometimes not just bomb in willy nilly.