PDA

View Full Version : Swans and the Social Pages

Matt80
24th January 2015, 06:19 AM
http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/how-sydney-swans-deal-with-social-pages-especially-lance-franklin-kurt-tippett-and-dane-rampe/story-e6frf3e3-1227195089013

Interesting article. I would be interested to hear people's views on whether the social pages appearances are helping the Swans membership drive. Are these social pages articles attracting a new and younger "hipster crowd" to the SCG?

It appears from the article that Rampe has been "held accountable by his team mates".

JPK12
24th January 2015, 09:48 AM
I blame the gossip hungry culture that corporations have created. They have created a new industry to exploit and have fooled and manipulated first the ladies and now the males into believing everyone has a right to know of other peoples affairs, especially celebs, regardless of fact. Its a massive money spinner for these multi national publishing houses. Now they have moved into the online domain with click baiting techniques.

I blame people like Matt80 for willingly enabling corporations to act and manipulate society like they have.

And whats this hipster reference? Do you even know what a hipster is?

24th January 2015, 12:07 PM
I blame the gossip hungry culture that corporations have created. They have created a new industry to exploit and have fooled and manipulated first the ladies and now the males into believing everyone has a right to know of other peoples affairs, especially celebs, regardless of fact. Its a massive money spinner for these multi national publishing houses. Now they have moved into the online domain with click baiting techniques.

I blame people like Matt80 for willingly enabling corporations to act and manipulate society like they have.

In Matt's defence, often his original post to this thread would often have been randomly inserted into an unrelated topic causing it to incite a multitude of responses either stating the fact or arguing a point that had nothing to do with the original thread & having him being accused of trolling or hijacking.

He did the right thing. Started a new Swans related thread with an accurate title that we can contribute to, or ignore, as we see fit. He's as entitled to his opinion as anyone else, & he's expressed it in a way that doesn't go off topic.

Shouldn't be criticised for this ... just my opinion (to borrow an oft used phrase)

And whats this hipster reference? Do you even know what a hipster is?

The hipster subculture typically consists of white millennials living in urban areas. The subculture has been described as a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior" and is broadly associated with indie and alternative music, a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility (including vintage and thrift store-bought clothes), generally progressive political views, organic and artisanal foods, and alternative lifestyles. Hipsters are typically described as affluent or middle class young Bohemians who reside in gentrifying neighborhoods.

Ludwig
24th January 2015, 12:40 PM
Matt80 is a victim of corporate manipulation. I'm sure he didn't do it willingly. It demonstrates how difficult it is these days to overcome years of brainwashing and forced submission to corporate dominance in our society. I think eventually Matt will see the light. Give it time.

JPK12
24th January 2015, 02:21 PM

sharp9
25th January 2015, 07:49 AM
The hipster subculture typically consists of white millennials living in urban areas. The subculture has been described as a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior" and is broadly associated with indie and alternative music, a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility (including vintage and thrift store-bought clothes), generally progressive political views, organic and artisanal foods, and alternative lifestyles. Hipsters are typically described as affluent or middle class young Bohemians who reside in gentrifying neighborhoods.I went to University in the 80s...back then we were just called "students." Everything else applies.
The food was organic because we couldn't afford to buy from supermarkets - but most old people had vege plots out the back of their 1/4 acre (and were asleep by 9pm).

AnnieH
27th January 2015, 12:53 PM
Is this thread for real?

No, the players appearing in the social pages don't make one iota of difference to the swans membership base.
Most of us real fans don't care who is in the social pages. Especially if it's in the daily terror.

We only need to worry if one of our players appears on the front page.

Bloods05
27th January 2015, 01:36 PM
Is this thread for real?

No, the players appearing in the social pages don't make one iota of difference to the swans membership base.
Most of us real fans don't care who is in the social pages. Especially if it's in the daily terror.

A bit of robust good sense. Good on you Annie.

Matt80
27th January 2015, 01:36 PM
Is this thread for real?

AnnieH, you and most Swans supporters are the "real fans" who provide the biggest contribution to the Swans membership drive.

Like any business, The Swans need to be looking at growth opportunities for their membership and merchandising businesses.

Frequent appearances in the social pages will show the younger, cooler audiences in Sydney, that the Swans are the sexiest show in town. This will help to grow the membership drive.

Imagine how famous the Swans could become World wide if a Swans player was able to date a star like a Kendall Jenner. It would be serious boom times for the club. Imagine all the new fans that would be attracted to the club in that scenario.

All publicity is important whether front page, back page or the social pages.

Ludwig
27th January 2015, 02:04 PM
Frequent appearances in the social pages will show the younger, cooler audiences in Sydney, that the Swans are the sexiest show in town.
http://cdn.scahw.com.au/cdn-1ce8f4c6297e010/ImageVaultFiles/id_180754/cf_3/warwick-image.jpg

JPK12
27th January 2015, 03:22 PM
I like it both ways.

Bloods05
27th January 2015, 06:40 PM
Matt, Tony Abbott has already killed satire by being funnier than any satirist could ever be. You can't kill a thing twice. Let it rest in peace. It seems indecent to dig it up.

Kelpie_X
28th January 2015, 01:20 AM
be still my quivering loins