PDA

View Full Version : NAB Challenge Pride Match - Sydney v Freo

swansrob
5th March 2015, 08:16 AM
I haven't seen it reported anywhere yet (apart from the NAB Intranet), but the Sydney v Freo NAB Challenge match will be the first AFL Pride match, raising awarenes of the LGBTI community

Sydney Swans ruckman Mike Pyke said equality throughout the community and in sport is something we should all strive for.

�We think the Swans provide a really inclusive environment for fans at our games and we know we have significant support from the LGBTI community,� he said. "This is just another way of getting the message across that professional sport encourages an inclusive environment.�

Update: found a report - http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-set-to-launch-gay-pride-game-to-tackle-homophobia-during-nab-challenge/story-fnelctok-1227248255109

iigrover
5th March 2015, 02:38 PM
...the Sydney v Freo NAB Challenge match will be the first AFL Pride match, raising awarenes of the LGBTI community

I think these kind of initiatives are hugely important for the Swans and AFL.

Just as the Swans Academy brings juniors into the game that might otherwise play Rugby, Soccer, etc, this too will encourage some boys to continue to play AFL where they might otherwise drop out due to feeling like they dont belong - or worse, that a culture develops within a team where they are not welcome.

And its pleasing is see how the drive for equality is being proactively led by the Swans players rather than just administrators. In particular, Mike Pyke's done a lot for equality in sport. No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/sydney-swans-and-waratahs-stars-named-as-ambassadors-for-gay-rugby-world-cup/story-fni0cvc9-1226839655693)

Yet another reason why Im proud to be a Swans member.

Meg
5th March 2015, 03:07 PM
Yep, good bloke is Mike Pyke. So pleased he is a Swan.

Untamed Snark
5th March 2015, 03:33 PM
I think it is a fantastic idea and I hope the Swans stay involved with it in the long term

DamY
5th March 2015, 03:38 PM
Yah proud Sydney are in the inaugural pride cup game. Good on both clubs for putting themselves out there

goswannies
5th March 2015, 10:29 PM
I haven't seen it reported anywhere yet (apart from the NAB Intranet), but the Sydney v Freo NAB Challenge match will be the first AFL Pride match, raising awarenes of the LGBTI community

Update: found a report - AFL set to launch gay pride game to tackle homophobia during NAB Challenge (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-set-to-launch-gay-pride-game-to-tackle-homophobia-during-nab-challenge/story-fnelctok-1227248255109)

They call him Martin Pyke at the end of the article :-/

DamY
5th March 2015, 11:45 PM
They call him Martin Pyke at the end of the article :-/

Haha it made me chortle!

stellation
6th March 2015, 07:32 AM
Really happy that this is happening and that the Swans are involved.

S.S. Bleeder
6th March 2015, 07:33 AM
Yep, good bloke is Mike Pyke. So pleased he is a Swan.

I wonder if his parents really knew what they were doing when they named him? Maybe it was just a mistake and didn't realise until they stated calling him Mike.

swansrob
6th March 2015, 08:48 AM
St Kilda are lobbying for an annual Pride Match - apparently will be at Etihad every year against the Swans
St Kilda lobbying the AFL to host annual gay pride game for premiership points (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-lobbying-the-afl-to-host-annual-gay-pride-game-for-premiership-points/story-fndv8ufg-1227250041334)

Conor_Dillon
6th March 2015, 08:56 AM
Does anyone else think that the Syd/Freo pride match seems condescending? Doesn't involve any big Melbourne clubs and is one of only 5 of 26 games that isn't being televised.

Seems more like a token gesture rather than a genuine effort...hopefully the pride match for premiership points becomes an annual event sooner rather than later.

DamY
6th March 2015, 08:58 AM
For all their problems, St Kilda do appear to be working hard on improving their culture. Having the AFL's first woman coach (highly-qualified, nonetheless) is a significant step for their club and the AFL to become more inclusive and demonstrate equality.

DamY
6th March 2015, 09:06 AM
Does anyone else think that the Syd/Freo pride match seems condescending? Doesn't involve any big Melbourne clubs and is one of only 5 of 26 games that isn't being televised.

Seems more like a token gesture rather than a genuine effort...hopefully the pride match for premiership points becomes an annual event sooner rather than later.

I don't think it's tokenism, you have to start somewhere to gauge fan reaction to it and I'm sure more will come soon. I think it's important for the league to address some community concerns and demonstrate what they believe in and their values. I don't even care about the big Melbourne clubs, I think it's more important that two clubs have decided that they want to make the game more inclusive and demonstrate that through this round. Believe it or not, Collingwood have a gay supporters group which is pretty impressive!

S.S. Bleeder
6th March 2015, 09:35 AM
For all their problems, St Kilda do appear to be working hard on improving their culture. Having the AFL's first woman coach (highly-qualified, nonetheless) is a significant step for their club and the AFL to become more inclusive and demonstrate equality.

Is this her on the left; St Kilda lobbying the AFL to host annual gay pride game for premiership points (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-lobbying-the-afl-to-host-annual-gay-pride-game-for-premiership-points/story-fndv8ufg-1227250041334)

S.S. Bleeder
6th March 2015, 09:39 AM
St Kilda are lobbying for an annual Pride Match - apparently will be at Etihad every year against the Swans
St Kilda lobbying the AFL to host annual gay pride game for premiership points (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-lobbying-the-afl-to-host-annual-gay-pride-game-for-premiership-points/story-fndv8ufg-1227250041334)

It probably makes some sense. Sydney has a large LGBT population (and I'm sure a lot of them are supporters) and St.Kilda does as well.

baskin
6th March 2015, 09:52 AM
Sorry, this is unrelated to the main topic but I will be in Sydney for this game and was wondering what seating, if any, is available at Drummoyne. Is it a byo chair / blanket scenario?
Thanks for letting me hijack the thread.

JPK12
6th March 2015, 09:56 AM
Is this her on the left; St Kilda lobbying the AFL to host annual gay pride game for premiership points (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-lobbying-the-afl-to-host-annual-gay-pride-game-for-premiership-points/story-fndv8ufg-1227250041334)

I umm don't know what to say..but are you being serious..umm..yeah i'lll zip it i am already skating on thin ice around here.

This is Peta Searle:

Great initiative by the AFL.

dimelb
6th March 2015, 10:48 AM

No.

But I strongly approve of the idea.

ScottH
6th March 2015, 01:13 PM
I umm don't know what to say..but are you being serious..umm..yeah i'lll zip it i am already skating on thin ice around here.

This is Peta Searle:

Great initiative by the AFL.

If you looked at the article image you would see it is a joke.
Not hard.

ScottH
6th March 2015, 01:14 PM

Good way to fill a stadium.

JPK12
6th March 2015, 03:20 PM
If you looked at the article image you would see it is a joke.
Not hard.

I know what it was, but it was a very stupid joke. No wonder women find it hard to land a job in the footy industry.

jono2707
6th March 2015, 04:32 PM
Back to the Pride game...... It's a wonderful initiative and will gain more fans and broader community respect. I'm glad my Swans are on board.

I too look forward to St Kilda, or whoever else, devoting a regular season game to this important cause.

Bravo.

Meg
6th March 2015, 06:14 PM
There is a thread on The Roar site about the AFL Gay Round now under consideration. I had to copy this comment for everyone's enjoyment:.
Ads said | March 6th 2015 @ 10:23am |
"I really dont care what colour you are, what your sexual preferance is or what other minority you feel proud to be a part of.
The only thing that should get you openly mocked in Australia these days is if you are a Collingwood supporter because, well, you muppets just deserve it. :)"

Untamed Snark
6th March 2015, 07:27 PM
There is a thread on The Roar site about the AFL Gay Round now under consideration. I had to copy this comment for everyone's enjoyment:.
"I really dont care what colour you are, what your sexual preferance is or what other minority you feel proud to be a part of.
The only thing that should get you openly mocked in Australia these days is if you are a Collingwood supporter because, well, you muppets just deserve it. :)"

A sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with

goswannies
7th March 2015, 07:41 PM
I wonder if his parents really knew what they were doing when they named him? Maybe it was just a mistake and didn't realise until they stated calling him Mike.

They new more than the parents of former West Adelaide player Richard Head (yup, his Christian name was abbreviated by his teammates!)

Or the parents of 2 brothers who were captains of either football or cricket (I can't remember which) at Scotch College in consecutive years. Their names on the Captains honour boards in the school assembly hall read:

A.Ness
P.Ness

I kid you not!

S.S. Bleeder
8th March 2015, 11:57 AM
They new more than the parents of former West Adelaide player Richard Head (yup, his Christian name was abbreviated by his teammates!)

Or the parents of 2 brothers who were captains of either football or cricket (I can't remember which) at Scotch College in consecutive years. Their names on the Captains honour boards in the school assembly hall read:

A.Ness
P.Ness

I kid you not!

Haha. My son is at Scotch. I'll have to look next time I'm there. Are you an old boy?

Doctor
8th March 2015, 06:52 PM
I think P.Ness was probably an old fella rather than an old boy.

8th March 2015, 09:18 PM
I think P.Ness was probably an old fella rather than an old boy.

Poor old P.Ness was a bit stiff getting that initial
A.Ness probably got the s--ts with his parents for his initial

O'Reilly Boy
9th March 2015, 10:21 AM
Poor old P.Ness was a bit stiff getting that initial
A.Ness probably got the s--ts with his parents for his initial

I can do better. I had a rugby coach named Peter Nuss. His brother was Andrew.

S.S. Bleeder
9th March 2015, 01:05 PM
Getting off track here but; My mates surname is Dick and his wifes maiden name is Quick. Lucky she didn't decide to have a hyphenated surname. We call him Ophelia (amongst many other names that I can't repeat here).

jono2707
9th March 2015, 02:55 PM
How about a few posts in support of a great community initiative and less of the juvenile 'humour'??

Dosser
9th March 2015, 03:46 PM
How about a few posts in support of a great community initiative and less of the juvenile 'humour'??

Yeah, you people. Stop having fun!

Doctor
10th March 2015, 06:59 PM

Nailed it.

Jenny
11th March 2015, 01:08 PM
Hi All,

A quick community service announcement from me!

We've just been told there there are less than 500 tickets remaining for Sunday's match at Drummoyne Oval. If you're planning on coming, make sure you upgrade your membership to a ticket to guarantee access. Entry via membership card will only be available if space remains, so it's definitely best to lock in your spot now.

To upgrade or buy tickets, here's the link: http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=NABCDRO15

Hope to see you all there (with your pre-purchased/upgraded tickets!).

Jenny

aardvark
11th March 2015, 02:09 PM
Hi All,

We've just been told there there are less than 500 tickets remaining for Sunday's match at Drummoyne Oval. If you're planning on coming, make sure you upgrade your membership to a ticket to guarantee access. Entry via membership card will only be available if space remains, so it's definitely best to lock in your spot now.

To upgrade or buy tickets, here's the link: http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=NABCDRO15

Jenny

Hey Jenny I don't suppose there's any chance of a live video stream?

Jenny
11th March 2015, 02:39 PM
Hey Jenny I don't suppose there's any chance of a live video stream?

Hi aardvark,

Our media team are just working through the final details now, but yes, we hope to be able to live stream the match for all those who can't be there. Stay tuned to the website tomorrow for more details!

Jenny

Scottee
11th March 2015, 05:36 PM
Hi aardvark,

Our media team are just working through the final details now, but yes, we hope to be able to live stream the match for all those who can't be there. Stay tuned to the website tomorrow for more details!

Jenny

Fabulous news!

aardvark
11th March 2015, 06:26 PM
Hi aardvark,

Jenny

Sensational news! Thanks heaps.:smile:

Industrial Fan
11th March 2015, 08:51 PM
Hi All,

Jennywhat do you mean upgrade to a ticket. I'm a full member and was planning to go. Do I need to buy tickets or are they part of the membership?

Meg
11th March 2015, 09:17 PM
Membership will get you in if the ground is not full. But it seems it is likely to be full. If you upgrade to a ticket (cost just over $9 from memory) you are guaranteed entry. We were told this some time ago, can't remember how but probably by email. I've got a mobile ticket so I'm expecting that I just get my phone scanned on entry.

Meg
11th March 2015, 09:20 PM
In other words, Drummoyne ground capacity is less than the number of Swans members interested in going to this match.

DamY
11th March 2015, 09:27 PM
Thank you for clarifying Meg!

Matt80
12th March 2015, 09:27 AM
Hi All,

Jenny

Hi Jenny. My four year old loves running onto suburban football fields during the quarter time and half time breaks to have a kick and tackle Dad. Is this Sundays game the sort of game where you can go onto the playing field and have a kick at the intervals?

RogueSwan
12th March 2015, 10:01 AM
Hi Jenny. My four year old loves running onto suburban football fields during the quarter time and half time breaks to have a kick and tackle Dad. Is this Sundays game the sort of game where you can go onto the playing field and have a kick at the intervals?

Going on the game last week up here in Coffs it would highly unlikely. We got kick-to-kick at the end of the game though.

aardvark
12th March 2015, 10:32 AM
NAB Challenge live stream - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-03-12/nab-challenge-live-stream)

swansrob
12th March 2015, 11:09 AM
Will there be a replay available? My girlfriend is having friends over to watch multiple episodes of Real Housewives of Melbourne on Sunday night - would be a perfect opportunity for me to catch the replay...

ugg
12th March 2015, 12:12 PM
In: Derickx, Franklin, Goodes, McVeigh, Richards, Lloyd
Out: Davis, Marsh, McGlynn, Reid, Melican, Hewett

ScottH
12th March 2015, 12:21 PM
In: Derickx, Franklin, Goodes, McVeigh, Richards, Lloyd
Out: Davis, Marsh, McGlynn, Reid, Melican, Hewett

Big outs compared to the ins!!!!

DamY
12th March 2015, 12:28 PM
Y'all going?

ugg
12th March 2015, 12:39 PM
Y'all going?
Yep ticket booked last week.

ugg
12th March 2015, 12:40 PM
Who's the senior coach this week - Dew or Playfair?

ugg
12th March 2015, 12:46 PM
1. Hayden Ballantyne, 5. Garrick Ibbotson, 7. Nathan Fyfe, 8. Nick Suban, 9. Matt De Boer, 10. Michael Walters, 11. Tom Sheridan, 12. Jon Griffin, 13. Tendai Mzungu, 14. Lachie Weller, 16. David Mundy, 17. Hayden Crozier, 18. Luke McPharlin, 19. Connor Blakely, 22. Tanner Smith, 23. Chris Mayne, 24. Max Duffy, 27. Lachie Neale, 28. Brady Grey, 29. Matthew Pavlich, 30. Zac Clarke, 31. Aaron Sandilands, 32. Stephen Hill, 33. Cam Sutcliffe, 35. Michael Apeness, 36. Alex Silvagni, 37. Michael Johnson, 38. Jack Hannath, 46. Clancee Pearce

In: Ibbotson, Fyfe, Weller, Duffy, Grey, Sandilands, Hannath
Out: Matt TABERNER, Michael BARLOW, Lee SPURR, Paul DUFFIELD

rb4x
12th March 2015, 01:07 PM
Lloyd not named on the AFL website but they have only 28 names so the may have missed him.

chuckie
12th March 2015, 03:48 PM
Ted Richards is doubtful with a hamstring tear according to Gerard Healy and co on 3aw last night, may not be ready until round 1.
I hope it is not an Andrew Schauble 2 week hammy that kept him out for 14 weeks.

O'Reilly Boy
12th March 2015, 07:37 PM
any word on Aliir Aliir? He was so impressive at intraclub, and now not selected again.

giant
12th March 2015, 10:36 PM
So is this game now sold out? Not really clear?

Meg
12th March 2015, 11:59 PM
Just looked on Ticketek website and it says " Allocation Exhausted".

wolftone57
13th March 2015, 01:43 AM
Membership will get you in if the ground is not full. But it seems it is likely to be full. If you upgrade to a ticket (cost just over $9 from memory) you are guaranteed entry. We were told this some time ago, can't remember how but probably by email. I've got a mobile ticket so I'm expecting that I just get my phone scanned on entry.

$6.00 Actually for me anyway.

wolftone57
13th March 2015, 01:47 AM
Haha. My son is at Scotch. I'll have to look next time I'm there. Are you an old boy?

I worked with a Peter Head whose father was Richard and you guessed it they called him Dicky.

wolftone57
13th March 2015, 02:00 AM
I was surprised Aliir didn't get a spot. The outs are only injured and players who didn't either play last week or were Subs.The reserves don't play any practice matches until the 28th which is a little under the average as most of their rivals will have played at least two matches by then.

I think we could have made it that the younger blokes are getting a run and are in good nick for the season to come.

A much stronger line up this week. As much as Freo have picked a lot of young players in their extended line up they may not play their youngest at all as three have to drop out. looking forward to this one and have had my ticket for ages. for those who are taking public transport there are so many buses that you can get them on average every 4 minutes. If you are driving it is not as good as taking public transport due to parking availability.

Have a great day every one. For those watching the stream I hope the quality is high.

ugg
13th March 2015, 08:12 AM
$6.00 Actually for me anyway.

Plus $3.50 booking fee so Meg is right about $9

Conor_Dillon
13th March 2015, 08:59 AM
Surely Richards, McVeigh and Buddy will all be outs? If they're still carrying any sort of injury then it's pointless risking them...they're all seasoned campaigners and will be be able to get by on only 1 pre-season game if necessary.

wolftone57
13th March 2015, 12:21 PM
Plus $3.50 booking fee so Meg is right about $9

I always forget their EXTRAS.

seaweedstu
13th March 2015, 02:11 PM
Hi there, I have some tickets booked but a friend from overseas lands on Sunday, so if anyone is looking to sell a spare ticket please let me know.

Many thanks

Mel_C
13th March 2015, 02:27 PM
So is this game now sold out? Not really clear?

Yes I received an email from the AFL saying the game was sold out.

Meg
13th March 2015, 07:00 PM
Grump grump. As I sit watching rain fall on covered pitch at SCG I looked at weather forecast for Sunday. Windy with showers. Huh! Those watching online might be pleased with themselves in the end.

Doctor
13th March 2015, 10:17 PM
Who's the senior coach this week - Dew or Playfair?

Playfair

swanwolf
14th March 2015, 10:45 AM
Update: found a report - AFL set to launch gay pride game to tackle homophobia during NAB Challenge (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-set-to-launch-gay-pride-game-to-tackle-homophobia-during-nab-challenge/story-fnelctok-1227248255109)

Soon as hearing of this, I knew The Terrorgraph would be all over it after ignoring us all summer. Anything to portray Australian Rules in, what they consider, a bad light. Take note from the General Restrictions and Conditions for this match:

Patrons must not to engage in any conduct, act towards or speak to any player, umpire or other official or other patron in a manner which offends, insults, humiliates, intimidates, threatens, disparages or vilifies that other person on the basis of that other person�s race, religion, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin.

Fantastic! So we can all yell out Fyfe's a faggot with impunity!
I'll believe clubs are serious about this issue when they start cancelling memberships for homophobic abuse as they do for racial abuse. Ain't gonna happen.

DamY
14th March 2015, 02:41 PM
If you don't have a ticket, are there ways to watch it at the Oval still?

swanwolf
14th March 2015, 02:58 PM
If you don't have a ticket, are there ways to watch it at the Oval still?

Climb a tree. :tongue:

wolftone57
14th March 2015, 05:21 PM
Should be a good day some experienced players in. Generally the second match is more light on the experienced players but there is not extra practice match this year after the NAB. Look forward to seeing Buddy kick a few from some great delivery from the mids. I want to see Heeney, Llloydy, Parks & Macca kicking to Buddy. It will be interesting to see who comes out tomorrow morning. I hope Hiscox plays. Want to see him break the lines and get his skills right

DamY
14th March 2015, 05:41 PM
Yep ticket booked last week.

Really looking forward to it!

ugg
14th March 2015, 06:01 PM

Which tree will you be in, I'll be sure to wave hi!

DamY
14th March 2015, 06:42 PM
Which tree will you be in, I'll be sure to wave hi!

Lel nah I was going bring a mate but maybe not if he has to climb a tree!

S.S. Bleeder
14th March 2015, 08:30 PM

I am too. Just don't expect too much from us. We have always been slow starters and this match will be no different.

Cheer_Cheer
14th March 2015, 10:53 PM
With all this talk of climbing trees I hope nobody gets called a monkey :smile:

Zlatorog
15th March 2015, 01:00 PM
It's raining at the moment so I doubt anybody will climb a tree.

Untamed Snark
15th March 2015, 02:56 PM
Can someone at the game update by the quarter?

The Big Cat
15th March 2015, 03:21 PM
No Macca. Hamstring still sore?

Zlatorog
15th March 2015, 03:33 PM
McVeigh, Hiscox and Derickx out of the squad for today's game. Nankervis and Xavier Richards start subs

ugg
15th March 2015, 03:55 PM
For those who don't have a ticket, you can still watch quite well from the area outside the fence. In fact there are a few spectators doing that

troyjones2525
15th March 2015, 03:55 PM
Hope the live feed works well! Has anyone watched any of the other NAB challenge games online this pre-season and can comment if they drop out much and quality etc?

JPK12
15th March 2015, 03:58 PM
Expect a drop out or two.

Is there going to be one camera and commentator? Is it going to be like last years swans vs bris match?

JPK12
15th March 2015, 04:03 PM
I really hope the quality improves..watching 144p streaming is not ideal.

wyatt
15th March 2015, 04:28 PM
Terrible stream. Haven't watched more than 10 seconds of play at a time. Keeps dropping out and buffering. Refresh, refresh, refresh.

stellation
15th March 2015, 04:29 PM
The stream is quite good.

Rohan looks a bit bigger than last season.

JPK12
15th March 2015, 04:32 PM
Its ok for what it is.

stellation
15th March 2015, 04:33 PM
Heeney seems to be a clever player, looks like he knows where to go (and when) to create space or get the footy.

JPK12
15th March 2015, 04:35 PM
Nothing a bit of WD40 cant fix, enjoyable 1st qrt.

Wazza
15th March 2015, 04:36 PM
stream good for me not one drop out, liked Towers work rate that qtr

stellation
15th March 2015, 04:39 PM
stream good for me not one drop out, liked Towers work rate that qtr

Yep, just based on that quarter he looks like he'll compete for a seniors spot.

aguy
Naismith is doing most of the ruck work and is looking good. Heeney hasn't had many disposals but is playing really well and really good off the ball work. Robinson is also getting a fair bit of it. Some of the skills of the regular midfielders needs to improve

Wazza
Cunningham already more involved than last week, Midfield all on top

ugg
15th March 2015, 04:40 PM
Quarter time Swans 3.6 24 Dockers 0.3 3

Goals Cunningham Hannebery Bird

Old Royboy
15th March 2015, 04:40 PM
Stream ok even with south coast snail Internet. Looks like the view from outside the fence is just as good as inside. Heeney looks much more at home this week.

tasswan
15th March 2015, 04:41 PM
Seems a much better display than last week

JPK12
15th March 2015, 04:43 PM
good too see a mr whippy van on the hill at a swans game.

Wazza
15th March 2015, 04:48 PM
Jetta missed the tackling sessions in preseason

Matt80
15th March 2015, 04:52 PM
I hope people can see why Sam Reid must play on Fyfe. Reid can go with him for pace and endurance. He is killing us in the air!

- - - Updated - - -

Heeney is starting to demonstrate my vision.

Wazza
15th March 2015, 04:55 PM
Towers looking good has impressed me the most out of the non regs today

ugg
15th March 2015, 04:59 PM
Wind certainly favouring the dockers this quarter

goods78
15th March 2015, 05:02 PM
The match day sponsors are getting their moneys worth from the commentators!

Wazza
15th March 2015, 05:05 PM
Was Rohan the loose in defence that qtr?

aguy
15th March 2015, 05:08 PM
Worried about jetta. I'm not sure he's in the best 22 at the moment. Defensive acts aren't up to it and his disposal has been poor.

Melbourne_Blood
15th March 2015, 05:10 PM

^ not wrong there! Mitchell, Towers, Heeney all been impressive for mine. Rohan just needs to be a bit cleaner but his effort can't be faulted.

Wazza
15th March 2015, 05:11 PM
Worried about jetta. I'm not sure he's in the best 22 at the moment. Defensive acts aren't up to it and his disposal has been poor.
I agree with you He has had plenty but I think looks more composed fwd of the wing

satchmopugdog
15th March 2015, 05:11 PM
So pleased with the stream via the Swans website. Thank you to all concerned. The commentary isn't too bad either.

Kennedy is amazing.

Wazza
15th March 2015, 05:14 PM
Kennedy 16 Lachie Neale 19 for freo
Parker 14 Hanners 13 Jetta 11 towers 10 Jack 10 smith 10 cunningham 9

JPK12
15th March 2015, 05:15 PM

Its radio style commentary with every play and goal being a contender for {insert commercial sponsor here} of the day. Annoying but bearable.

ugg
15th March 2015, 05:16 PM
Jetta has taken most of the kick ins. Did one beautiful 60m pass to the wing

Heeney has really impressed too. How was that tackle? I think he will play from Round 1

JPK12
15th March 2015, 05:17 PM
looking like another stellar year for JPK.

troyjones2525
15th March 2015, 05:18 PM
Much better first half compared to last week! Great goal by Heeney that qtr, calmly slotting it from an angle in blustery conditions. We need to keep up the intensity this qtr with the wind and hopefully put this one out of their reach by 3 qtr time!

aguy
15th March 2015, 05:21 PM
Yes but being shown up with defensive acts. He looks slimmer than last year to me

Wazza
15th March 2015, 05:22 PM
Heeney and Towers doing really well, Mitchell not done a lot.

Matt80
15th March 2015, 05:28 PM

Where have you been? I really enjoy your posts?

goswannies
15th March 2015, 05:36 PM
I'm actually loving the streaming! No drop outs for me. mirroring it from my iPad to my AppleBox to my 50" TV. Quality is ok (not super sharp, but I'll take it). Can't wait to watch streamed NEAFL Swans games like this. Don't mind radio style commentary either, as I grew up listening to radio commentary. Wish they'd stream ges that are only on Fox in SA too.

troyjones2525
15th March 2015, 05:37 PM
Say what you like about Birdy and his spot in the 22 but he's always dangerous around goals!

DamY
15th March 2015, 05:38 PM
Jetta has taken most of the kick ins. Did one beautiful 60m pass to the wing

Heeney has really impressed too. How was that tackle? I think he will play from Round 1

Yeh Heeney's been very impressive although his defensive match up is a bit tall for him. Towers looks alright, and really good to have Mitchell out there. Parker again consistently good and JPK looks good too.

goods78
15th March 2015, 05:39 PM
Where have you been? I really enjoy your posts?

Always lurking, but pleased that the regular season is close to starting!

goswannies
15th March 2015, 05:39 PM
Say what you like about Birdy and his spot in the 22 but he's always dangerous around goals!
Ok, I will ... he has a spot!

Wazza
15th March 2015, 05:42 PM
Heeney and Towers doing really well, Mitchell not done a lot.

Mitchell huge 3 rd qtr to date haha

goods78
15th March 2015, 05:44 PM
Was B Jack off during the 2nd QTR?

Wazza
15th March 2015, 05:46 PM
Was B Jack off during the 2nd QTR?didnt see him or hear his name called

15th March 2015, 05:49 PM
Watching the stream, nice to see lots of JPK12 positivity

sharp9
15th March 2015, 05:53 PM
Stream surprisingly excellent in NZ. Missed 3rd Q but things looking up so far!

Still would love to see my 2 bugbears of 2014 addressed 1) Pick up the ball don't fumble it! and 2) When kicking into 50 DO NOT KICK TO THE GIBSON

JPK12
15th March 2015, 05:54 PM
Watching the stream, nice to see lots of JPK12 positivity

You want harsh? Go read the BF equivalent thread. Same old fans thriving on negativity there.

Old Royboy
15th March 2015, 05:54 PM
Lovely clean hands in traffic by Heeney to set up a goal. Johnson has bodied him out in aerial contests but everything else super positive.

ugg
15th March 2015, 06:13 PM
Teddy on the bench icing his left knee

15th March 2015, 06:19 PM
You want harsh? Go read the BF equivalent thread. Same old fans thriving on negativity there.

I meant the JPK12 who's playing ... plenty of positivity from Josh

As for harsh, enough of it here at times ... I'll skip BF, thank you very much ;)

goswannies
15th March 2015, 06:22 PM
Nooooo! After half a perfect game of streaming it drops out with 5 mins to go?! :(

Apart from the last minute dropout (which I will attribute to multiple devices using the wifi), I'm very Bull-ish about the streaming!

Thanks Swans, AFL & NAB :)

ugg
15th March 2015, 06:28 PM
I am drenched. Hope we won!

Melbourne_Blood
15th March 2015, 06:29 PM
I agree with Ugg, Heeney looks like he'll be hard o keep out of the round 1 side. I don't know at who's expense that is, but he's gotta be in there.

Zlatorog
15th March 2015, 06:35 PM
It was a good game, notwithstanding the last quarter fadeout.

dimelb
15th March 2015, 06:35 PM
Good hit out, played at a reasonably intense level too. We are doing OK considering it's still a couple of weeks to the off.

Matt80
15th March 2015, 06:37 PM
What about Brandon Jack? He got only four possessions, but nailed seven tackles.

Longmire would love that game from Brandon Jack.

stellation
15th March 2015, 07:00 PM
Teddy on the bench icing his left knee
Did you notice if it seemed specific to something from today or just old guy business as usual?

Melbournehammer
15th March 2015, 07:02 PM
Matt, I find your views somewhat refreshing but if you think Longmire would love that game you are deluding yourself.

He would be pleased with the pressure acts and disappointed his lack of impact. He is not tagging their best player. He is a hff pushing back to midfield. He has to find the ball.

ugg
15th March 2015, 07:03 PM
Did you notice if it seemed specific to something from today or just old guy business as usual?

Didn't see any particular incident involving Ted. Bird was the other one subbed out he wore the best over his Guernsey whereas Ted had the (horrible) polo shirt on

Meg
15th March 2015, 07:10 PM
I like that (hideous/horrible,/insert adjective here) polo! Wouldn't like it for a casual shirt but for a football club with the colours of red and white I think it looks great. Very distinctive. (Yeah, yeah, I know you will say 'distinctively horrible'). This season's cap clearly designed to complement the shirt, so I think the players will be wearing it for the rest of the year. So you better get used to it!

stellation
15th March 2015, 07:12 PM
I was extremely impressed by Heeney in the few quarters I saw, primarily with where I saw him running to/away from- he seemed to be constantly creating space for himself and for his teammates. Who else do we have competing for a small forward spot (apart from rotating midfielders!)? At a minimum he looked like he could be a starter there and play a valuable role.

rojo
15th March 2015, 07:17 PM
I can see Lloyd or Cunningham having to give way for Heeney, especially if Towers gets a regular spot. Whatever happens, I think it would be wise to 'manage' both Heeney and Mitchell, no matter how well they play. Mitchell because of his injury history and Heeney because we don't want him to develop an injury history!

Nico
15th March 2015, 07:29 PM
What was the result?

Matt80
15th March 2015, 07:36 PM
Can anyone shed in light on why we have not seen Zac Jones, George Hewitt or Aliir in the NAB games so far? Are they injured?

stellation
15th March 2015, 07:36 PM
What was the result?
It's not really been settled yet- on one hand a lot of people don't like the polo, on the other hand Meg is adamant that it's not that bad. This could go on all seaosn!

sharp9
15th March 2015, 07:37 PM
99% sure we won by a goal 66 to 56 or thereabouts...after leading by 30 odd early in last.

ugg
15th March 2015, 07:44 PM
The margin was 9 points. Not sure about the exact score

chalbilto
15th March 2015, 07:46 PM
65-56.

Meg
15th March 2015, 07:47 PM
It's not really been settled yet- on one hand a lot of people don't like the polo, on the other hand Meg is adamant that it's not that bad. This could go on all seaosn!

Love it!

aguy
15th March 2015, 08:06 PM
I think the regular midfielders stood up today. Kennedy Parker Hanners and k Jack all looked fine. Like others have said the outside mids was interesting. Towers played well as did Robinson. Heeney is gonna be all class. He looked like the player that we missed in the grand final last year. During that game we want to forget hawthorn always had a man running into space or creating space for themselves. That was what I saw Heeney doing. He knows how to find space. Very excited to see how he develops.

I agree with others it will be interesting to see what team settles put as the best 22 because with mitchell towers Robinson Lloyd Heeney and Cunningham all pressing for spots some have to miss out.

aguy
15th March 2015, 08:14 PM
Oh and goodes looked good. Even his side step was working.

YvonneH
16th March 2015, 08:28 AM
Not sure if this is the correct post for this comment but seeing as it is the Pride Match I will anyway.

St Kilda want an annual Pride match and apparently talks have been held with Essendon. Wouldn't it make more sense for Sains Vs Swans to be held in Sydney (as least every 2nd year)seeing the Mardi Gras is held here each year.

Essendon already have a couple of annual blockbuster games (Anzac day, dreamtime etc)

dimelb
16th March 2015, 09:07 AM
Not sure if this is the correct post for this comment but seeing as it is the Pride Match I will anyway.

St Kilda want an annual Pride match and apparently talks have been held with Essendon. Wouldn't it make more sense for Sains Vs Swans to be held in Sydney (as least every 2nd year)seeing the Mardi Gras is held here each year.

Essendon already have a couple of annual blockbuster games (Anzac day, dreamtime etc)

I would go the same way as you, but I suspect that membership numbers will prevail over other possibilities. Nevertheless, a Saints/Swans Pride match would not only match the natural order of things but send an important message in a big market.

JPK12
16th March 2015, 09:13 AM

The only reason Essendon exists AFTER THE DRUG SCANDAL is becasue they have a very stupid yet well off loyal membership base which brings in a lot of money to the league and whoever plays against them. So poorer clubs wants to play an away game with them as much as possible, the same as the pies.

They are the AFLs cash cow as much as Eddie thinks its the pies. Its the reason why this whole drug saga has lasted so long with the AFL slapping the bombers with a limp wet lettuce all the time. I dont think any other team would have lasted the whole drug saga.

chalbilto
16th March 2015, 11:19 AM
The only reason Essendon exists AFTER THE DRUG SCANDAL is becasue they have a very stupid yet well off loyal membership base which brings in a lot of money to the league and whoever plays against them. So poorer clubs wants to play an away game with them as much as possible, the same as the pies.

They are the AFLs cash cow as much as Eddie thinks its the pies. Its the reason why this whole drug saga has lasted so long with the AFL slapping the bombers with a limp wet lettuce all the time. I dont think any other team would have lasted the whole drug saga.

What about Hawthorn & Collingwood?

Doctor J.
16th March 2015, 11:43 AM

Now this is what the off season is all about.

Very good.

wolftone57
16th March 2015, 11:50 AM
I was extremely impressed by Heeney in the few quarters I saw, primarily with where I saw him running to/away from- he seemed to be constantly creating space for himself and for his teammates. Who else do we have competing for a small forward spot (apart from rotating midfielders!)? At a minimum he looked like he could be a starter there and play a valuable role.

Towers. He had 10 to half time. He was very good gave off 2 goal assists.

wolftone57
16th March 2015, 12:33 PM
Oh and goodes looked good. Even his side step was working.

I actually thought he looked very rusty. Had very little impact. On moving forward with the ball he was his usual wonderful self. But on defensive as a forward they ran off him and he was unable to chase. Towers, Heeney, BJ & Robbo all had to mop up. I thought all the young boys were very hard at the ball, led by one Luke Parker. The tackling was fearful and at one stage someone hit Fyfe and I thought he would have to be removed from the turf by an earthmover.

Some points;

Naismith was very good in the ruck but needs to do more around the ground and while resting forward. I don't know who did the stats but Naismith certainly had more HO than 7. I would suggest more like 20. He had three in a row just near us and four centre taps in the first. Stats are @@@@e if the people taking them are no bloody good.

Heeney was very good. He tackles like he is trying to kill you. He is also a very good mark and kick. Looked very comfortable at this level.

Towers; Looked good, 15 disp and 2 goal assists. good day for Deano. Has now settled into senior footy I think.

Rooster; He ran off the back flank well. needs to learn how to play players like Fyfe and Gunstoin though, got caught out a few times by Fyfe. Other than that really good.

Jetts; A lot of criticism here of Jetts but he was ok trying to fit into a new position is never easy. Especially when it is defence. his kick outs were super.

BJ; Boy I don't know what is wrong with this kid but he needs to get some confidence. On several occasions he had the chance to take the ball and stuffed up and then when he did get it he gave a useless HB instead of kicking. Needs to play Twos to get confidence.

Xav; was ok when he came on. Gave a wonderful pass to Heeney in the last. Very tight on his player and kept him quiet when they were rampaging.

Harry; He was ok. Kicked 1.1 could have easily been 2 and 1 goal assist. A little too much HB because his greatest weapon is his long kicking.

Tommy; He was really good in and under he extracted well and was on top of it. Will do far better than this.

Dan; He did some really good things. His mark on the wing was super. A very strong mark in between two opponents. I knew he would mark it as soon as the ball was kicked. There is a look a player gets when he is determined to do something and he had it and nobody was getting between him and the ball. Had 14 but needs to impact the scoreboard.

Toby; Came on and provided a presence. Pity our delivery was so poor in the last. He could have picked up several marks if he wasn't made third in line due to poor length on delivery. Broke a few packs and thought he was going to break Silvagni's ribs in the last he hit him so hard.

Lloydy; didn't look like he was getting much of the ball but picked up a quiet 18. Nice. Delivery really good. He is the quiet achiever and this ground definitely didn't suit him as it was too narrow. Getting into space is his forte and it is very hard to do on Drumoyne Oval because there isn't much. But still a good game. Can't see him being left out of round one as is being suggested by some.

Of the older more seasoned players; Teddy, Joey, Birdie, Parks, Reg, Hannas, Ramps ( a few clangers), Smithy (a few clangers) were all good.

Buddy just had a run. First for the season . He didn't play Intra.

Rhyce got caught a lot early so he changed his tack and stopped taking them on. Not sure if he has the pace to play the role they expect from him anymore. Was a bit sus last season and his two hit outs so far have not convinced me.

I like the new stoppages and clearance strategies. They didn't quite work last week but this week they worked for the most part. Helps if you get first use of the ball from good tap outs not gut crunchers.

graemed
16th March 2015, 12:36 PM

He was very damaging in the first half while Franklin was on the field and competitive as they were double teaming him so that left Towers free to roam and be a target. After half time he was shut down more as Franklin became less influential. Towers really looked good in patches but felt that Heeney seems better suited to the role as a high half forward when all the talls are available.

Meg
16th March 2015, 12:57 PM
Re Goodes not being able to chase. I was standing on the fence and at one stage he thundered past me chasing to run down a Freo player near the boundary just as the player was kicking. Adam looked great to me.

The Big Cat
16th March 2015, 01:05 PM
I like the new stoppages and clearance strategies.

Please elaborate. It's hard to see on the TV/

Ampersand
16th March 2015, 01:09 PM
So I'm finally dry after staying until the end (thank god for ponchos!).

Pretty much agree with wolftone's analysis.

Was disturbed to see the same old floating kicks to 2-on-1 contests with Buddy. He was lucky to end up with the one goal he got. Noticed they brought him up to CHF in the second half but by then the skies opened up and it turned into an ugly scrap.

Laidler looked half-dead out there fitness wise, though was happy to see him bust a gut to make up for an error.

Saw Hanners go for his hammy after a kick in the second but it might have just been cramping.

Meg
16th March 2015, 01:22 PM
Agree with all the positive comments here about Heeney. He not only displays stacks of skill and game sense, he is also remarkably mature for such a young man. At one point Ballantyne (predictably) was having lots of niggles at him and Heeney simply shrugged him off with the aplomb of a 100 game player.

aguy
16th March 2015, 01:46 PM
Yep. Towers was very good I agree

Matt80
16th March 2015, 02:27 PM
Brandon Jack has every chance of making it due to his tackling pressure. Seven tackles playing in open field in incredible. Longmire loves tackles and loves defensive pressure. The offensive side of his game will come. His teammates must love the opportunity he creates for them with his pressure.

I don�t think Shaw or Laidler will make the round one team. I think versatile players like Cunningham, Towers, Rohan, Jetta, McVeigh, Heeney and Kieran Jack will rotate through the defensive, midfield and forward lines. Longmire loves versatility almost as much tackling and Shaw and Laidler are not as versatile as these other guys.

16th March 2015, 02:48 PM
I think Laidler is only a depth player and not a best 22.

If Heeney is good enough he should play R1, no point just making him wait because he's a first year player. If he is better than the player at number 23 he must play.

Good to hear encouraging reports about Towers, he has a lot of positive physical attributes, just need him to step up to the level.

Still worried about our depth, a few of the young guys must step up or we'll be in trouble with just a few injuries.

Anyone know if Jones is injured, I don't think he's played yet? Hewitt, what's the go with him too?

goods78
16th March 2015, 04:46 PM
Thanks Wolf for the great summary.

I agree that BJ needs some confidence and I would extend the same assessment to Garry and Jett's.

I think the commentator mentioned in the 3rd QTR that BJ had only one possession for the match at that stage. Matt80 mentions his first rate tackling, but needs to have more impact than that to be considered in my top team.

Garry & Jetta are natural wingmen learning new positions and both tend to drop their heads when they make a clanger. Unfortunately, they play in tough roles where it happens more than most. I just hope they can accept the mistake and move on when it happens at crucial times.

wolftone57
16th March 2015, 05:00 PM
Please elaborate. It's hard to see on the TV/

The idea of leaving all our players on one side of the stoppage expecting to get the ball out that side, the defensive side generally, is gone. Players now set up in a more circular pattern around the stoppage. This is a more classical set up but where we differ is we have outriders on the defensive side and offensive side ready to run and carry. Other sides do this but now we are actually setting up this way the strength of our mids is more noticeable and they are now blocking and shepherding. This allows one or two players to free up and get the clearance.

Previously we left opposition players free and this destroyed us in the GF. We don't do that anymore.

wolftone57
16th March 2015, 05:07 PM
Brandon Jack has every chance of making it due to his tackling pressure. Seven tackles playing in open field in incredible. Longmire loves tackles and loves defensive pressure. The offensive side of his game will come. His teammates must love the opportunity he creates for them with his pressure.

I don�t think Shaw or Laidler will make the round one team. I think versatile players like Cunningham, Towers, Rohan, Jetta, McVeigh, Heeney and Kieran Jack will rotate through the defensive, midfield and forward lines. Longmire loves versatility almost as much tackling and Shaw and Laidler are not as versatile as these other guys.

Very easy on Drumoyne Oval to apply tackling pressure as it is only 150m long and about 100 wide. It is an egg shape which means it is narrower at one end, the Southern end. It is still good to get 7 tackles but he did little else. Sorry he is not in my best 22 for the opener so far. towers & Heeney are way ahead. As to Laids and Shaw they were both exposed for lack of pace yesterday.

wolftone57
16th March 2015, 05:40 PM
He was very damaging in the first half while Franklin was on the field and competitive as they were double teaming him so that left Towers free to roam and be a target. After half time he was shut down more as Franklin became less influential. Towers really looked good in patches but felt that Heeney seems better suited to the role as a high half forward when all the talls are available.

Graeme I'm not sure Shaw or Laidler will play the first game. Macca, Benny, Sammy & Tip have to come back. For a start I think Sammy will play CHB. Macca will be the other in defence with Ramps, Teddy, Reg, Smithy & Rooster.

Take out Robbo, Xav, Naismith, Nankervis, BJ, Laids & Shaw. That would be a pretty good side in my opinion.

B Smith Richards Grundy

HB Rohan Reid Jetts/Macca

C Hannas Parker Lloyd

HF Cunningham Franklin Heeney

F Goodes Tippett McGlinn

R Pyke, Kennedy, K Jack

Bench; Jetta, Mitchell, Bird, Rampe. Em; Towers

Although Towers could replace any of two or three players in the line up. Towers got 15 disposals, so yes only 5 in the second half but then again he won't have to play a key position in our line up during the season proper. BJ & Harry collected 11 & 12 respectively. Towers also has 2 goal assists. I think it all depends on the last match against GWS as to who gets a guernsey. They also might look at Jones, Hewett & Aliir in that game too. Watch to see who they give a rest this week, if they are best from last years best 22 then they are in. If they aren't as in Laids then they definitely aren't in.

swanwolf
16th March 2015, 05:45 PM
Liked most of what I could see, through the rain and bubbling stream that is. Swan's pre-season games often seem chaotic but at least our madness had more method this week compared to last. Heeney the Wunderkind continues on his merry way with a set shot routine like a young ROK, number 5 is alive. Towers always hints at just how good he could be then... isn't. Despite that, there's something different about him this year, don't know... finally looks like a senior player or something.

Not too concerned about Brandon building his game. Does seem a little unsure and off kilter at the moment but I trust our coaches can get him in sync. This year I'd play him as a crumber, a vital role with Tippett rucking while Franklin is double teamed. As for his brother, Kieran's missed shot wasn't nearly as dissapointing as another opportunity he lost. Benny didn't play in the Pride Cup because he has a tight bottom and not one wisecrack from Jack? Losing his touch, is Kizza.
Still, the match was worth it for this photo alone:

Funny how life works out sometimes, hey Garry!

Ludwig
16th March 2015, 06:29 PM
Very easy on Drumoyne Oval to apply tackling pressure as it is only 150m long and about 100 wide. It is an egg shape which means it is narrower at one end, the Southern end. It is still good to get 7 tackles but he did little else. Sorry he is not in my best 22 for the opener so far. towers & Heeney are way ahead. As to Laids and Shaw they were both exposed for lack of pace yesterday.

Pretty much agree with your general assessment and round 1 side. Not much change from the GF side, with Mitchell coming in for Mal, and Shaw making way. My 1st preference at this stage is Towers, perhaps because he is a 3rd year player and mature aged player as well. It's his year to make the 22. It will be hard to keep Heeney out of the side for long. There's something about him that reminds me of Judd.

I'm okay with Jetta's game. I think he will stick more tackles in the regular season. We need him or Macca to take the kick-ins. Lloyd looks settled and should continue on with his improvement this year. Although young, he has the maturity to take on a small defender role if needed.

We also have Jones as another possibility to make a push for the 22, so I don't see too much problem with depth if we've go guys like Shaw, Laidler, Jones and Heeney waiting in the wings.

AnnieH
16th March 2015, 07:50 PM
Who gave them permission to win??
I hope we don't have to play another Ansett Cup game or, god forbid, a final.
I want everyone fit and healthy for Round 1.

Matt80
16th March 2015, 08:06 PM
Graeme I'm not sure Shaw or Laidler will play the first game. Macca, Benny, Sammy & Tip have to come back. For a start I think Sammy will play CHB. Macca will be the other in defence with Ramps, Teddy, Reg, Smithy & Rooster.

Take out Robbo, Xav, Naismith, Nankervis, BJ, Laids & Shaw. That would be a pretty good side in my opinion.

B Smith Richards Grundy

C Hannas Parker Lloyd

F Goodes Tippett McGlinn

R Pyke, Kennedy, K Jack

Although Towers could replace any of two or three players in the line up. Towers got 15 disposals, so yes only 5 in the second half but then again he won't have to play a key position in our line up during the season proper. BJ & Harry collected 11 & 12 respectively. Towers also has 2 goal assists. I think it all depends on the last match against GWS as to who gets a guernsey. They also might look at Jones, Hewett & Aliir in that game too. Watch to see who they give a rest this week, if they are best from last years best 22 then they are in. If they aren't as in Laids then they definitely aren't in.

Wow. What a team! Well done.

I would move Towers to sub with Bird as emergency.

aguy
16th March 2015, 08:56 PM

B Smith Richards Grundy

C Hannas Parker Lloyd

F Goodes Tippett McGlinn

R Pyke, Kennedy, K Jack

Yep I can't argue with that team. Looks good to me. I can envisage Cunningham and towers battling out their spots. But I like the overall balance and skill of that team.

Bring on the season proper. Can't wait :)

troyjones2525
16th March 2015, 11:52 PM
Shaw will play round 1. While I agree with most who think he probably shouldn't be out there, he is a coaches favourite and his experience and leadership will get him the start at Heeney's expense I predict from the side posted earlier. But hey, I'd be happy to be wrong! :)

Matt80
17th March 2015, 07:04 AM
Shaw will play round 1. While I agree with most who think he probably shouldn't be out there, he is a coaches favourite and his experience and leadership will get him the start at Heeney's expense I predict from the side posted earlier. But hey, I'd be happy to be wrong! :)

Heeney has to play in round one. He is the new Sam Mitchell. His decisions in traffic are superb. He also has the bravery and leadership strength of a Luke Hodge.

Put him in the centre square with Parker, Kennedy and Pyke. Do it now and watch him develop, then dominate. Have Jack and Hanners swarming in of the wing.

That is the combination!

Conor_Dillon
17th March 2015, 09:09 AM
The round 1 team will be intriguing either way...let's just all keep our fingers and toes crossed that there's no injuries at all this week

Conor_Dillon
17th March 2015, 09:16 AM
And also, has anyone heard anything about Jones/Hewett/Allir ?

I remember a poster (wolftone I think?) mentioned that Hewett had come back in unsatisfactory shape for the pre-season so it could be that he hasn't reached a high enough fitness level yet?

Jones and Allir are both mysteries.

Auntie.Gerald
17th March 2015, 09:38 AM
B Smith Richards Shaw

HB Rampe Grundy Macca

C Hannes Parker Lloyd

HF Cunningham Franklin Bird

F Goodes Tippett McGlynn

R Pyke, Kennedy, K Jack

Bench; Jetta, Bird, Mitchell, Reid

Em; Towers, Heeney, Rohan, Laidler

Obviously the back 6 that i have chosen probably wont be a final back 6 at the end of the season but we have to win the first 3 games not the opposite like last year.......we can not loose against the Bombers in rd 1 !!!!!

Rohan, Towers and Heeney for me can start in the ressies and continue their development for the first few weeks unless one of the above is having a shocker

I just dont feel Rohan has shown enough

I dont think Heeney nor Towers so far have shown they are certain starters but in saying that Heeney is on the rise and Towers has improved a lot in 2015 and playing more a Swans style of footy

Laidler for Rampe is the only swap i could see but Rampe is well ahead of Laidler in my opinion

ugg
17th March 2015, 10:22 AM
B Smith Richards Shaw

HB Rampe Grundy Macca

C Hannes Parker Lloyd

F Goodes Tippett McGlynn

R Pyke, Kennedy, K Jack

Bench; Jetta, Bird, Mitchell, Reid

Em; Towers, Heeney, Rohan, Laidler

Obviously the back 6 that i have chosen probably wont be a final back 6 at the end of the season but we have to win the first 3 games not the opposite like last year.......we can not loose against the Bombers in rd 1 !!!!!

Rohan, Towers and Heeney for me can start in the ressies and continue their development for the first few weeks unless one of the above is having a shocker

I just dont feel Rohan has shown enough

I dont think Heeney nor Towers so far have shown they are certain starters but in saying that Heeney is on the rise and Towers has improved a lot in 2015 and playing more a Swans style of footy

Laidler for Rampe is the only swap i could see but Rampe is well ahead of Laidler in my opinion

It's nice to see someone who values Bird's role in the side but I think he'd be hard pressed to fill two positions

RogueSwan
17th March 2015, 10:49 AM

B Smith Richards Grundy

C Hannas Parker Lloyd

F Goodes Tippett McGlinn

R Pyke, Kennedy, K Jack

Rohan to the bench and Rampe into the back six.

ScottH
17th March 2015, 11:11 AM
It's nice to see someone who values Bird's role in the side but I think he'd be hard pressed to fill two positions

Unless we are playing in the bush

southsideswan
17th March 2015, 11:18 AM
Unless we are playing in the bush

Now that is funny

penga
17th March 2015, 11:24 AM
Now that is funny

+1

Jewels
17th March 2015, 01:17 PM
Heeney has to play in round one. He is the new Sam Mitchell. His decisions in traffic are superb. He also has the bravery and leadership strength of a Luke Hodge.

Put him in the centre square with Parker, Kennedy and Pyke. Do it now and watch him develop, then dominate. Have Jack and Hanners swarming in of the wing.

That is the combination!

Wow, Mitchell, Hodge, someone else said Judd and another ROK - if Heeney is as good as any of these players I'll be a happy little member but holy crap if he ends up as a combo of all four combined!!!! The mind boggles at the possibilities.

aardvark
17th March 2015, 01:19 PM
Wow, Mitchell, Hodge, someone else said Judd and another ROK - if Heeney is as good as any of these players I'll be a happy little member but holy crap if he ends up as a combo of all five combined!!!! The mind boggles at the possibilities.

Nah there will never be another Leigh Matthews.:wink:

Matt80
17th March 2015, 01:29 PM
Wow, Mitchell, Hodge, someone else said Judd and another ROK - if Heeney is as good as any of these players I'll be a happy little member but holy crap if he ends up as a combo of all four combined!!!! The mind boggles at the possibilities.

Judd years of 2002-2006 were out if this world. Heeney does not have the pace or breakaway speed to match Judd's early years. I don't think any player had been able to match Judd's early years.

He is like Mitchell due to his vision and skills. Some of those handballs were superb. He looks to have courage in the air of a Hodge. I would take the combination of the two.

Conor_Dillon
17th March 2015, 01:37 PM
I think he's much more like Fyfe than any of the above listed players...especially considering his willingness to launch himself for marks and his mixture of inside/outside midfield work...but most of all just the fact that he is a competitive beast!

Primmy
17th March 2015, 02:06 PM
I'll get on the Heeney bandwagon here. Watched him side muscle a Freo player over the boundary with his shoulder at exactly the right moment in the play. He has that elusive quality of timing. Oooh goody. Not that I a want to add to the pressure, but.....

Auntie.Gerald
17th March 2015, 05:33 PM
REVISED

B Smith Richards Shaw

HB Rampe Grundy Macca

C Hannes Parker Lloyd

F Goodes Tippett McGlynn

R Pyke, Kennedy, K Jack

Bench; Jetta, Mitchell, Reid, Rohan

Em; Towers, Heeney, Laidler

Matt80
17th March 2015, 06:16 PM
It seems that most people's round one team is centred on the discussion of four players:

Heeney
Shaw
Bird
Towers

It appears that two of those four players will win the game of thrones for round one.

Matt80
17th March 2015, 08:37 PM
Nah there will never be another Leigh Matthews.:wink:

But Heeney looks more like He-Man than Leigh Matthews does.

he man - Google Search (https://www.google.com.au/search?site=&source=hp&ei=TPMHVaGnO8zo8AWWnoJ4&q=he+man&oq=he+ma&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.0l5.2169.4298.0.5780.6.6.0.1.1.0.402.1978.2-2j2j2.6.0.msedr...0...1c.1.62.mobile-gws-hp..1.5.1315.0.j4Ja2ky0X_I#imgrc=WOFv3lBf69eNtM%25 3A%3Bundefined%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fvignette4.wiki a.nocookie.net%252Fdeathbattle%252Fimages%252F4%25 2F4c%252FHe-Man.png%252Frevision%252Flatest%253Fcb%253D2014070 6005807%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fdeathbattle.wikia.com %252Fwiki%252FHe-Man%3B900%3B2013)

troyjones2525
17th March 2015, 11:00 PM
REVISED

B Smith Richards Shaw

HB Rampe Grundy Macca

C Hannes Parker Lloyd

F Goodes Tippett McGlynn

R Pyke, Kennedy, K Jack

Bench; Jetta, Mitchell, Reid, Rohan

Em; Towers, Heeney, Laidler

Agree that this will be the round 1 team if all players are fit as we all know how conservative our selection committee is. It'll be just the one change from the GF, out - Malceski and in - T. Mitchell. Heeney and the others will get there chance later on through injury and poor form from a couple no doubt (yes I mean you G. Rohan) but we will go in predictable for round 1.

Melbourne_Blood
18th March 2015, 07:52 AM
I disagree, I think one of Heeney or towers will be there round 1, most likely at Shaws expense. With Rohan and or Jetta going back, I don't think there's a spot for Shaw.

aguy
18th March 2015, 08:38 AM
I disagree, I think one of Heeney or towers will be there round 1, most likely at Shaws expense. With Rohan and or Jetta going back, I don't think there's a spot for Shaw.
I think that's what most of us think is best but the question is really what will the selection committee value more. Experience and on field leadership or form ?

I personally would go for Heeney over shaw. The other variables will be if we have any injuries after next weekends nab challenge game and we are also assuming Tippett mcglynn Reid Etc will all be fit to go round one. Yes we mostly all agree they should play if fit. So the door is open for shaw towers and I will add Robinson depending on injuries. I would place Robinson ahead of laidler but again I think the selectors may thinK the opposite

Auntie.Gerald
18th March 2015, 11:19 PM
only other comment i have is that god it will be hard to stop Heeney

the kid had a very good hit out against Freeo and I would like to see him string a little more together but if Rohan isnt playing that well which he hasnt so far this pre season then we may see Heeney get straight into the 22

Wazza
19th March 2015, 12:07 AM
only other comment i have is that god it will be hard to stop Heeney

the kid had a very good hit out against Freeo and I would like to see him string a little more together but if Rohan isnt playing that well which he hasnt so far this pre season then we may see Heeney get straight into the 22

Hmm I would place Towers ahead of Heeny at this stage and if it is a swap for Rohan (who needs to do more over next couple of weeks) Towers would be my pick. I think Heeny will be a great player and get his chance later in the season.

Auntie.Gerald
19th March 2015, 12:17 AM
NAB: Syd v Frem Q3 - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2015-03-16/nab-syd-v-frem-q3)

13mins 30 seconds on this video is interesting

Heeney gets a away a kick out on the full under pressure
He then pushes around 2 players immediately after
he has fire