PDA

View Full Version : [Offical Swans cant play in the Rain]

tasmania60
3rd May 2015, 05:26 AM
Well cut the legs from under neath me people but ifs its not perfect conditions , they cant win! Watching them is so painful ,its hurts , cant they find a ground close by flood it a practice ? 3 OR 4 play wet weather footy , watched jetta /towers there disgraceful . wont run tackle ! I was thinking maybe this year, but the Dogs tried harder ,did everything better for longer !

]

3rd May 2015, 09:13 AM
Well cut the legs from underneath me people, but if it's not perfect conditions, they can't win! Watching them is so painful, it hurts. Can't they find a ground close by and flood it at practice? 3 OR 4 play wet weather footy, watched Jetta/Towers they'redisgraceful. Won't run or tackle! I was thinking maybe this year, but the Dogs tried harder, did everything better for longer!

Tas, you butchered the punctuation and spelling in your post worse than they butchered many of the disposals last night :)

lwjoyner
3rd May 2015, 09:22 AM
Try telling the "so called" experts that. They all insist the Swans are winners in the wet, its suits them. How do I get a job like that not knowing about a teams performance in the wet.

Ampersand
3rd May 2015, 09:28 AM
There should be a moratorium on trying to find a target inside the back 50 from a kick out in the wet. Like there should be a legit one week ban.

mcs
3rd May 2015, 10:15 AM
There should be a moratorium on trying to find a target inside the back 50 from a kick out in the wet. Like there should be a legit one week ban.
That was so infuriating yesterday. Wet weather footy is about playing the percentages, which often means going long down the line and forcing the ball forward. So many of their goals came after such low percentage plays from us that led to turnovers.

For all the wonderful footy we play at times, we still do such dumb elementary mistakes too often.

RogueSwan
3rd May 2015, 11:00 AM
That was so infuriating yesterday. Wet weather footy is about playing the percentages, which often means going long down the line and forcing the ball forward. So many of their goals came after such low percentage plays from us that led to turnovers...

Nail->head.

They need practice kicking a wet ball in the rain to have an understanding of how far the ball will actually travel.

snajik
3rd May 2015, 11:27 AM
Certainly the Dogs' overall disposal and decision making was superior in the wet, however it could be argued that this game was lost when the conditions were comparatively dry. The turnovers in the second half of the first quarter put them in a position where they needed to really fight for the rest of the game. They actually outscored the Dogs from the time the rain came until the end of the game, and it was pretty hard to get back from there in those kind of conditions.

Doctor J.
3rd May 2015, 11:40 AM
The couple of pieces of play that summed up the day late in the last. Ball deep in our forward line, 2 players slip over, dogs clear. Next foray fwd. we fumble stumble and can't get clean possession whilst Bob Murphy waltzes in grabs the ball cleanly, evades a few Swans, even has a bounce and delivers the ball deep into the Dogs fwd line.
We are simply the worst wet weather team I have ever seen

Hotpotato
3rd May 2015, 11:53 AM
It's wet today, so let's kick the ball towards the Bulldogs end .... Duh.. !

Wardy
3rd May 2015, 01:21 PM
Note to coach - training all this week to be held on grounds where all sprinklers are going full tilt.

GongSwan
3rd May 2015, 01:41 PM
when Reis went out I was happy enough because I thught we were too tall for a wey game, but Tippo is kust about a liability in the wet, I'd rather see Reid pinch hit in th eruck and leave Tippo out when it;s wet. Also Jetta, without his acceleration to burn off players he's average, Towers had an awful game, and some of our blokes over estimate their skills

mcs
3rd May 2015, 02:11 PM
when Reis went out I was happy enough because I thught we were too tall for a wey game, but Tippo is kust about a liability in the wet, I'd rather see Reid pinch hit in th eruck and leave Tippo out when it;s wet. Also Jetta, without his acceleration to burn off players he's average, Towers had an awful game, and some of our blokes over estimate their skills

Is tippo really such a liability in the wet. He was by far the cleanest of our talls yesterday, in particular with the two.snapped goals.

aguy
3rd May 2015, 03:02 PM
Is tippo really such a liability in the wet. He was by far the cleanest of our talls yesterday, in particular with the two.snapped goals.
Agreed. He picked up some balls very cleanly yesterday. What what really shown was the lack of a genuine small forward aka heeney

CureTheSane
3rd May 2015, 10:12 PM
It don't rain as much in September :)

tasmania60
3rd May 2015, 10:27 PM
Sorry very angry?

Bexl
3rd May 2015, 10:28 PM
It's wet today, so let's kick the ball towards the Bulldogs end .... Duh.. !
Not a good move and we did it a number of times.

3rd May 2015, 11:47 PM
Cute handballs and precise kicks don't cut it in the wet - why do we persist with this game style in the wet ? I learnt this in my 1st yr of footy in u9's ! Surely our coaches can see this

Meg
4th May 2015, 02:21 AM
Cute handballs and precise kicks don't cut it in the wet - why do we persist with this game style in the wet ? I learnt this in my 1st yr of footy in u9's ! Surely our coaches can see this

Precise kicks? By the Swans? In the wet? In the dry? Anytime? Oh I just wish! (But I get your drift ......)

neilfws
4th May 2015, 09:27 AM
I was just thinking back to 2012 (http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2012/071620120603.html). Bulldogs at the SCG, Swans won 20 goals to 5 in one of their best ever wet weather performances (and before a pitiful crowd).

What worries me is not so much the wet, but the inconsistency in skills from week to week. They go from fast, slick and pinpoint (Port Adelaide) to...the opposite, you never know which one it's going to be. I can only assume the main factor is opposition pressure, rather than suddenly forgetting how to play.

aguy
4th May 2015, 09:29 AM
The first game I took my then 6 year old daughter to was last years game at the SCG against The Kangaroos which we all know we lost in the rain.

My daughter stated at the end of the game the swans need to practice more in the rain. How wise she is !!!

Untamed Snark
4th May 2015, 10:41 AM
What frustrates me is that rainy games in Sydney are not a rare occurrence, you would think the team would have learnt to deal with the weather conditions by now.

AnnieH
4th May 2015, 10:58 AM
Playing catch up footy rarely works.
It never works in the rain.

Doctor
4th May 2015, 11:59 AM
What frustrates me is that rainy games in Sydney are not a rare occurrence, you would think the team would have learnt to deal with the weather conditions by now.

Exactly. I'm surprised we know how to play in the dry with the number of home games we have in the wet.

jono2707
5th May 2015, 02:28 PM
I see rain is forecast for Melbourne for Saturday. Oh hooray.

At least we'll get a chance to see what the boys have learnt from last Saturday.....

S.S. Bleeder
7th May 2015, 12:27 AM
Try telling the "so called" experts that. They all insist the Swans are winners in the wet, its suits them. How do I get a job like that not knowing about a teams performance in the wet.

Just goes to show how much they (Dunstall, etc) know about the game. That was back 3-4 years ago when we were the kings of stoppages.

S.S. Bleeder
7th May 2015, 12:32 AM
It don't rain as much in September :)

I think that may be the consensus amongst our coaches too. I get the feeling that they are more concerned about us being in form come September than winning home and away matches in the wet.

CureTheSane
7th May 2015, 11:54 AM
I think that may be the consensus amongst our coaches too. I get the feeling that they are more concerned about us being in form come September than winning home and away matches in the wet.

And I'm ok with that.
It's a long 22 rounds and a very pointy end to the season.
2 grace finals then out out out.

I suppose H&A losses aren't as demoralising as they used to be.
Ladder position is all that matters, and no point worrying about that until found 12 when movement is still achievable.

but then I don't follow the Swans around the country watching them play. I'd be kinda depressed if I fly up to see them lose to the dogs.

Bloody Hell
8th May 2015, 03:45 AM
Has been this way for a long, long time.

I blame Sydney's immaculate weather compared to that of our southern counter parts.

chalbilto
8th May 2015, 11:06 AM
I am starting to get worried about the Melbourne game especially if it is going to rain. Roosey likes to play a defense orientated style with plenty of stoppages and bodies around the ball. This will not suit us.

CureTheSane
8th May 2015, 02:28 PM
Has been this way for a long, long time.

I blame Sydney's immaculate weather compared to that of our southern counter parts.

Was the VFL for a long, long, time as well.
Had 12 teams for a long, long time.
15m penalty was around for a long long time.
Things change, and evolve...

sharp9
8th May 2015, 10:32 PM
I've said it before and started threads before so why does no one at Swnas HQ listen to me?? we are THE WORST team in the comp in the wet by a MILE.

As soon as I heard it was wet I changed my tip....as it happens the wet was the reason we lost....or to put another way - would have beena solid/comfortable win in the dry.

Clearest example ever was rnd 1 2014 v GWS - complete inabilty to pick up the ball whereas they had no trouble. we led comfortably all day and then half way through Q3 they won 6 or 7 contested possessions in a row and in EVERY one of them we had a chance to grab the pill and failed. we were about 14 points ahead and I had a sudden realisation - turned to the wife and said "Oh my God we're going to lose!" she said "don't be stupid - you're such a drama queen."

I WAS RIGHT. I believe that we have won 2 of the last 12 games in the wet - and one of those we trailed by 41 points in the 3rd Q so that was (morally) a loss. we managed to lose to Carlton and Essendon at their worst....so long as it was wet...and Richmond

goods78
8th May 2015, 10:49 PM
Does anyone have any reasons why the bulk of modern day players shun the long sleeve jumper in the wet?

Not so long ago, half the team would come out with the long sleeves in the wet. I can't remember the last Swan that wore one.

ernie koala
9th May 2015, 12:11 AM
Does anyone have any reasons why the bulk of modern day players shun the long sleeve jumper in the wet?

Not so long ago, half the team would come out with the long sleeves in the wet. I can't remember the last Swan that wore one.

That's a teaser, here are a few I can remember.....Mark Bayes ...Robby Ahmat.....One of my favourites - Wade Chapman, Simon Arnott (I think)

Doctor
9th May 2015, 12:33 AM
Brad Seymour wore the sleeves a bit too.

Meg
9th May 2015, 12:59 AM
Nick Malceski wore long sleeves a lot in earlier years with the Swans.

RogueSwan
9th May 2015, 01:02 AM
That's a teaser, here are a few I can remember.....Mark Bayes ...Robby Ahmat.....One of my favourites - Wade Chapman, Simon Arnott (I think)

Luke Vogels?

O'Reilly Boy
9th May 2015, 08:40 AM
Luke Vogels?

Lewis Jetta on occasion

ernie koala
9th May 2015, 10:17 AM
It seems since Jonathan Brown, On The Couch, discredited the myth that, "the Swans are a top wet weather side", other commentators have finally twigged.

Neil Cordy in a recent article, Brereton and others on league teams....

I suspect the way these lemming commentators operate, all we'll hear now is how poor the Swans are in the wet...

Which is true, they just missed the boat by about 10 years.

Meg
9th May 2015, 11:16 AM
I suspect the way these lemming commentators operate, all we'll hear now is how poor the Swans are in the wet...

Which is true, they just missed the boat by about 10 years.
Except for Jude Bolton and he played so well in the rain he made up for a lot of the other players. It's since he retired that we have looked particularly poor in the wet.

mcs
9th May 2015, 11:23 AM
Except for Jude Bolton and he played so well in the rain he made up for a lot of the other players. It's since he retired that we have looked particularly poor in the wet.

I still reckon he could do a job for us in the wet.... should stick him on the rookie list and use him as a super sub haha!