PDA

View Full Version : Sammy re-signs

liz
3rd September 2015, 10:41 AM
Not Reid, but Naismith. There's a small article in the print copy of the Terrograph today with the news that the Swans have signed Naismith for the next three years. Presumably that comes with a guaranteed (permanent)promotion to the senior list for 2016.

YvonneH
3rd September 2015, 10:54 AM
Good news Liz. Where is Sam Reid's contract at?

Untamed Snark
3rd September 2015, 11:02 AM
Pretty sure he's contracted till '17.

YvonneH
3rd September 2015, 11:10 AM
End or beginning of '17?

ugg
3rd September 2015, 11:23 AM
Not Reid, but Naismith. There's a small article in the print copy of the Terrograph today with the news that the Swans have signed Naismith for the next three years. Presumably that comes with a guaranteed (permanent)promotion to the senior list for 2016.
Third year rookies have to be delisted or upgraded to the senior list so yes that means he'll be on the senior list 2016 and onwards.

Untamed Snark
3rd September 2015, 11:39 AM
End or beginning of '17?

End of.
He signed a 5 year extension in '11 with a year still on his contract.

Ludwig
3rd September 2015, 12:43 PM
This signing indicates to me that the club is not worried about Naismith's current OP problem and think he has a long term future at the club, and players usually make a full recovery with enough rest and conditioning. I think it would be crazy to chase someone like Leuenberger under these conditions. We already have too many ruckmen on our list. Another one, especially one with a history of injury, seems a waste of money, better used to make sure players like Jetta stay at the club.

mcs
3rd September 2015, 12:50 PM
This signing indicates to me that the club is not worried about Naismith's current OP problem and think he has a long term future at the club, and players usually make a full recovery with enough rest and conditioning. I think it would be crazy to chase someone like Leuenberger under these conditions. We already have too many ruckmen on our list. Another one, especially one with a history of injury, seems a waste of money, better used to make sure players like Jetta stay at the club.

I really do think he will make it if his body is right. I think he is a better prospect than Nankervis (who did decent in his seniors games), and clearly in front of Donkey Derricx. Good to see him commit, and hopefully 2016 will see him injury free and hopefully achieving a break out season!

Mug Punter
3rd September 2015, 01:46 PM

You'd have to think there's no way we'll recuit another ruckman now and I hope we don't.

Tippett has found his best position as our number 1 ruckman cum KPF but as a result of dual role we need a genuine second ruckmen in the squad.

Pyke is doing the job well now the pressure of being Number 1 ruckman is gone and I expect him to still contriubute next year. That gives Naismith and Nankervis another year each to develop.

2017 will be a defining year for our ruck direction - you'd hope Tippett re-signs past next year and you'd think Pyke will be finished at the end of next season which hopefully has two very good number twos fighting for one spot with a youngster developing in the twos and possibly a rookie as an emergency

bloodspirit
3rd September 2015, 02:52 PM
I really do think he will make it if his body is right. I think he is a better prospect than Nankervis (who did decent in his seniors games), and clearly in front of Donkey Derricx. Good to see him commit, and hopefully 2016 will see him injury free and hopefully achieving a break out season!

I agree - I think Naismith is promising but still basically untried. We want him to come good but we don't know for sure yet if he will. Nankervis is not a long term number one ruck prospect for mine. I think he is more of a ruck-forward in the vein of Tippett and for the time being we have Tippett and will only need to call on Nankervis in case of injury (as this year). Once Pyke is finished - and I don't know if that is soon or not (he looked in trouble this season but he was playing injured and that might be the only reason) - there is only Naismith as a serious contender for our #1 ruck spot and that is the reason we might consider another ruck. McLaren, Nankervis, Derickx et. al. are not genuine contenders for the long term #1 ruck spot in my opinion and based on what I've seen of them (although Tippett has been doing a fabulous job in his current role over the past few weeks and trending up).

And I'm not sure I rate N & N as highly as MP, not yet anyway. I think GWS have better depth with Lobb, Philips and Downie in the 2s ready to cover for Mummy.