PDA

View Full Version : Ten years today

strapper
24th September 2015, 11:32 AM
Oh the memories , my first grand Final ,thanks Sydney Swans ,thanks Leo Barry

AnnieH
24th September 2015, 11:35 AM
I had a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green label to drink at this year's granny... you know, 10-year anniversary and all.

Oh well.

Mel
24th September 2015, 02:38 PM
Fun times. It was so much more emotional and just plain FUN than 2012. The atmosphere in 2005 will never be matched.

Sandridge
24th September 2015, 03:12 PM
Happy anniversary everyone!!!

mcs
24th September 2015, 04:19 PM
Fun times. It was so much more emotional and just plain FUN than 2012. The atmosphere in 2005 will never be matched.

I wasn't lucky enough to be at '05 but I was there in '12 - 2012 was a rollercoaster of emotions, but a wonderful day none the less, and for me and the guys next to me (who both also weren't at the 05 granny), the emotions were well and truly flowing late.

What a day that was 10 years ago - can't believe how quickly time passes. What a game and what a result!!

KTigers
24th September 2015, 04:33 PM
The part I always remember the best was me and bunch of other people around us chanting "blow the f-ing siren" as the final quarter got to about the 33 or 34 minute mark. The game had become completely unbearable by that time. I couldn't understand how a quarter with so few goals scored could go on for so long.

AnnieH
24th September 2015, 04:37 PM
The part I always remember the best was me and bunch of other people around us chanting "blow the f-ing siren" as the final quarter got to about the 33 or 34 minute mark. The game had become completely unbearable by that time. I couldn't understand how a quarter with so few goals scored could go on for so long.

It was the stoppages!!

KTigers
24th September 2015, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I know. But at the time I was way past being able to think coherently. I'd had enough of the game and needed it to stop. Fortunately it did.

It was the stoppages!!

Plugger46
24th September 2015, 04:55 PM
That last quarter felt like it went for three hours. I can still see my view of Leo taking that mark but at the time, I don't think I had a clue who it was. Don't think I heard the siren either.

I've always said 2005 was painful and just sheer relief. 2012 was unbridled joy.

KTigers
24th September 2015, 05:14 PM
I think the 2005 finals series is unrepeatable. The close loss in Perth, the Nick Davis game, blowing St Kilda away in the last quarter of the prelim, Barry's so called "love tap" on Matt Maguire, then the GF.... all in the space of four weekends. As a rollercoaster, it's unlikely to be topped.

That last quarter felt like it went for three hours. I can still see my view of Leo taking that mark but at the time, I don't think I had a clue who it was. Don't think I heard the siren either.

I've always said 2005 was painful and just sheer relief. 2012 was unbridled joy.

stevoswan
24th September 2015, 08:24 PM

Back then, we were still everybody's second team. Other fans tolerated our club at worst, loved us at best. They were great times. It was a joy to be a Swans fan. How times have changed. Love my club as much as ever, but there is a certain level of frustration and anger in being a Swans fan now. It's sad, especially as we know why, know that it's so wrong and feel powerless to change it. But I suspect that the next Premiership we win will bring the same unbridled joy of 2005, because of the injustice we now fight. There will be a lot of "F U AFL!" type of joy, and oh will we be joyous!!!!!

bloodsbigot
25th September 2015, 04:08 AM
2012 will always be better for me. I don't think it will ever be topped. It was the perfect win.

2005 was low-scoring, Maxwell wasn't present and they didn't show the team singing the club song after the game! What absolute horse@@@@! (By the way, if anyone has footage of the 2005 club song after the match, pm me). Also I'm a bit bitter Barry Hall lifted the cup after all the @@@@ he said about us later on. Saying he was a bulldog for life. etc. It should have been Kirk who hoisted the cup. Barry Hall's speech was pretty lacklustre too. Also, we didn't get to celebrate at Lakeside Oval.

2012 had it all, beating a scummy Melbourne team, McVeigh (A true blood) hoisting the cup, Maxfield's presence, a full rendition of the club song, a high-scoring affair, Nick Malceski kicking the winning goal, celebration at Lakeside Oval, Mummy being drunk, beating a heavily favoured side etc etc. I couldn't ask for a better win really.

Don't get me wrong, I still like 2005 though. Haha. I just find myself watching 2012 and enjoying it a hell of a lot more.

Let's snag a few more soon. Go swannies!

Swansinger
25th September 2015, 10:21 AM
I recall being sat up in 'the gods' with my boy. Previously,I had only been on the lower levels and was pleasantly surprised by the view up there.

My memories are Nicoski opening the scoring (waste of $10 - I picked Leo Barry!),Darren Jolly and Tadhg Kennelly's goals (Tadhg made it look easy , but it wasn't),Luke Ablett gifting Cousins a goal, Monty's brilliant last quarter , the seemingly endless "time off" calls (how long WAS the 4th quarter??) and not hearing the final siren.
And, in the finest tradition of Laurence Olivier in a Shakespeare performance , shouting out "We @@@@ing WON!"
There was water in my eyes - due to the breeze from being so high up in the stands , of course:wink:

Was the booing for the Norm Smith presentation anti-Judd ? Or pro-LRT ?

I wonder if we would still have won , if Kerr had not had to go off ? I suppose we could ask a similar question with teams reversed re Jolly/baby/2006. Oh well , if my aunty had balls , she'd be my uncle and all that.

Darren Goldspink officiated in three of our four finals in 2005. He copped a lot of flack from Swans fans , but it's worth pointing out that the only time he did not umpire us , we lost !

Much as I try not to , I remember Dame Edna as the star entertainer.Cringeworthy:frown::disgust:.

KTigers
25th September 2015, 10:53 AM
Yes, Barry has done himself no favours of late. Saying Adam's "war dance" had no place on the footy field showed Hall in all his boofhead glory.
Eye gouging & king hitting opponents are of course totally acceptable. Classy.

2012 will always be better for me. I don't think it will ever be topped. It was the perfect win.

2005 was low-scoring, Maxwell wasn't present and they didn't show the team singing the club song after the game! What absolute horse@@@@! (By the way, if anyone has footage of the 2005 club song after the match, pm me). Also I'm a bit bitter Barry Hall lifted the cup after all the @@@@ he said about us later on. Saying he was a bulldog for life. etc. It should have been Kirk who hoisted the cup. Barry Hall's speech was pretty lacklustre too. Also, we didn't get to celebrate at Lakeside Oval.

2012 had it all, beating a scummy Melbourne team, McVeigh (A true blood) hoisting the cup, Maxfield's presence, a full rendition of the club song, a high-scoring affair, Nick Malceski kicking the winning goal, celebration at Lakeside Oval, Mummy being drunk, beating a heavily favoured side etc etc. I couldn't ask for a better win really.

Don't get me wrong, I still like 2005 though. Haha. I just find myself watching 2012 and enjoying it a hell of a lot more.

Let's snag a few more soon. Go swannies!

Triple B
25th September 2015, 11:23 AM
.... a full rendition of the club song

Have we ever found out who that plonker was in the suit who 'circle bombed' the song??? I mean, who the @@@@ in their right mind would even consider pushing their way in during the team song on GF day and jump in the middle at the end??

bloodsbigot
25th September 2015, 12:49 PM
Have we ever found out who that plonker was in the suit who 'circle bombed' the song??? I mean, who the @@@@ in their right mind would even consider pushing their way in during the team song on GF day and jump in the middle at the end??

I heard it was Kenny's son?

Triple B
25th September 2015, 01:02 PM
I heard it was Kenny's son?

I don't believe he has a son, just a daughter. I could be wrong though...