PDA

View Full Version : Best Sydney Swans Team (1982 - Present)

Mug Punter
27th October 2015, 01:26 AM
Bayes Carter Barry
Carroll Roos Browning
Goodes Williams Hanneberry
Morwood Franklin Bolton
O'Loughlin Lockett Hall

Foll: Jolly Healy Kelly
Int: Kennedy Kirk O'Keefe McVeigh

It's a fair side.

Ruck I struggled with, I was close to putting Ball ahead of Jolly....

Would have also loved to have found a spot for Stevie Wright

goswannies
27th October 2015, 01:31 AM
Bayes Carter Barry
Carroll Roos Browning
Goodes Williams Hanneberry
Morwood Franklin Bolton
O'Loughlin Lockett Hall

Foll: Jolly Healy Kelly
Int: Kennedy Kirk O'Keefe McVeigh

It's a fair side.

Ruck I struggled with, I was close to putting Ball ahead of Jolly....

Would have also loved to have found a spot for Stevie Wright

Capper won't be happy - can't make the Team of the Century, can't even make the team of the last 3 decades

Mug Punter
27th October 2015, 01:37 AM
Capper won't be happy - can't make the Team of the Century, can't even make the team of the last 3 decades

He was massively under-rated as a footballer but I couldn't find space.....

goswannies
27th October 2015, 01:56 AM
He was massively under-rated as a footballer but I couldn't find space.....
I must confess, it's a hard task, especially when you're forced to leave out other players who actually made our Team of the Century (David Murphy, Tony Morwood, Barry Round, Daryn Creswell, Mark Bayes)

Mug Punter
27th October 2015, 02:03 AM
I must confess, it's a hard task, especially when you're forced to leave out other players who actually made our Team of the Century (David Murphy, Tony Morwood, Barry Round, Daryn Creswell, Mark Bayes)

Bayes and Morwood made my team too :)

But I'd back Hanners as a better player than Murphy and JPK as a better on-baller than Cressa. I thought about Round too and I guess I am a bit biased because he'd probably struggle now as he wasn't that mobile but in all fairness could have claims on Jolly's spot

RogueSwan
27th October 2015, 02:17 AM
Personally, I would put Maxfield in before McVeigh. Maxfield was one the best ever wings to play for the Bloods.

goswannies
27th October 2015, 02:30 AM
Bayes and Morwood made my team too :)
Oops ... I'm distracted (read that as procrastinating!) while trying to prepare a talk for a bunch of GPs for tomorrow night ... my apologies.

I thought about Round too and I guess I am a bit biased because he'd probably struggle now as he wasn't that mobile but in all fairness could have claims on Jolly's spot
I think you have to compare players by the dominance they displayed in their own time. If they played today, their training & professionalism would be different. Roundy was a great tap ruckman for his height, great mark & hansballed further than many could kick. No matter when you win a Brownlow, you earn it over the course of a whole season.

dejavoodoo44
27th October 2015, 02:54 AM
Of course, we could be slightly creative and put Goodesy in the ruck. Even though he didn't play there for all that long, he did win a Brownlow while doing so.

grarmy
27th October 2015, 01:09 PM
Seriously difficult to omit Barry Mitchell from this side, especially after you have included Kirk and Micky O. As much as we loved them, they did not have skills of Barry. When you say ' Bolton', I assume you mean Jude, but Craig and David would not be out of this company.

Conor_Dillon
27th October 2015, 01:27 PM
Heeney stiff.

ernie koala
27th October 2015, 02:37 PM
I'd have Barry Mitchell and Stuart Maxfield in this team, ahead of Bolton & McViegh.

For balance probably should have a second ruck....Round, Ball or Mummy

Mug Punter
27th October 2015, 02:57 PM
I'd have Barry Mitchell and Stuart Maxfield in this team, ahead of Bolton & McViegh.

For balance probably should have a second ruck....Round, Ball or Mummy

Yep, leaving a Brownlow Medallist out is a bit stiff innit, Mitchell ahead of McVeigh is fair too

lwjoyner
27th October 2015, 03:05 PM
I have been updating my teams of the century (no changes obviously to SMFC) but I look at Sydney every year. My parameters are 75 games or 50 and a F&F ,capt or coach.
here goes
crouch carter Dunkley
carroll roos browning
murphy Williams maxfield
morwood bayes Kelly
micky o lockett wright
Stafford healy Mitchell
int goodes jude and craig Bolton kirk
stiff hall okeefe jolly and mummy
I didn't select B Round as he played more games with SMFC ,
coach Roos ,Longmire and eade assistants

Plugger46
27th October 2015, 03:12 PM
N.Smith, Dunkley, C.Bolton
Barry, Bayes, Kennelly
Goodes, Diesel, Hanners
O'Loughlin, Hall, Moorwood
Franklin, Lockett, J.Bolton
Round, Healy, Kelly
Kennedy, McVeigh, Kirk, O'Keefe

The club has been at its best for the last decade. Makes sense to have more of those players in.

Mug Punter
27th October 2015, 03:52 PM
Barry, Bayes, Kennelly
Goodes, Diesel, Hanners
Round, Healy, Kelly

The club has been at its best for the last decade. Makes sense to have more of those players in.

Reckon Carter was a much better fullback than Dunkley (IMO) Know we got him at the end of his career but reckon Roos was a better CHB than Bayes but you'd need Bayes in there somewhere

Leaving Round out was my bad. Hard to argue about Nick Smith either, a massively under-rated player

Plugger46
27th October 2015, 04:10 PM
Reckon Carter was a much better fullback than Dunkley (IMO) Know we got him at the end of his career but reckon Roos was a better CHB than Bayes but you'd need Bayes in there somewhere

Leaving Round out was my bad. Hard to argue about Nick Smith either, a massively under-rated player

Roos was a star but ran around without an opponent for much of the second half of his career. Quite ironic, given how he coaches. I'd definitely say he was a better player than Bayes but Bayes did some great jobs on star CHFs when the club was at its lowest point. He played his whole career with us too which has to count for something.

Carter was just before my time so I can't comment on him.

Doctor
27th October 2015, 04:35 PM
Mummy in the ruck. When fully fit, he was better than Jolly.

Conor_Dillon
27th October 2015, 04:43 PM

Agree, comprehensively.

RogueSwan
27th October 2015, 04:49 PM
Reckon Carter was a much better fullback than Dunkley (IMO) ..
Andrew Schauble was a better full back than Dunkley, IMO. Pity he didn't hang around for a few more years.

Vonsteinman
27th October 2015, 06:03 PM
Dunkley being sold a little short here.

If Bayes was around today, Jetta would have been playing as a small forward and Franklin would have been forced to retire from two years of chronic chest pain.

RogueSwan
27th October 2015, 06:33 PM
... and Franklin would have been forced to retire from two years of chronic chest pain.
Love it:clap:

Melbournehammer
27th October 2015, 06:48 PM
Dunkley being sold a little short here.

If Bayes was around today, Jetta would have been playing as a small forward and Franklin would have been forced to retire from two years of chronic chest pain.

If Bayes was around today he'd be playing for Hawhtorn. Rolls onto his left foot spears a pass 50 metres.

My son's coach (in a grossly overrating moment) said there was a touch of the Mark Bayes about my son's kicking style. Didnt mean anything to him but i walked around with my head pretty high for a week.

Young Blood
30th October 2015, 12:31 AM
Barry, Bayes, Kennelly
Goodes, Diesel, Hanners
Round, Healy, Kelly

Agree with C.Bolton - would be the first picked in my back six. Gun.

RogueSwan
30th October 2015, 08:59 AM
N.Smith, Dunkley, C.Bolton ...

Jared Crouch >> Nick Smith? Crouch could break the lines as well as stop his man

Plugger46
30th October 2015, 10:40 AM
Jared Crouch >> Nick Smith? Crouch could break the lines as well as stop his man

I'd have Smith ahead of Crouch but it's all very subjective.

Velour&Ruffles
30th October 2015, 02:02 PM
Some short memories showing I think.

Any 82+ team lacking Denis Carroll, Tony Morwood and Stevie Wright is hard to take seriously.
I also think a few posters are forgetting (or never knew) just how influential Barry Round could be. The idea of putting Jolly (Jolly FFS!) ahead of him is laughable, despite big Barry only having 4 seasons in Sydney. The only other serious ruck candidate is Jason Ball.
As for back pockets, David Ackerly was the Nick Smith of the early '80s, only better. Toss up between him and Crouch for the back pocket IMHO.

Mug Punter
30th October 2015, 02:17 PM
Some short memories showing I think.

Any 82+ team lacking Denis Carroll, Tony Morwood and Stevie Wright is hard to take seriously.
I also think a few posters are forgetting (or never knew) just how influential Barry Round could be. The idea of putting Jolly (Jolly FFS!) ahead of him is laughable, despite big Barry only having 4 seasons in Sydney. The only other serious ruck candidate is Jason Ball.
As for back pockets, David Ackerly was the Nick Smith of the early '80s, only better. Toss up between him and Crouch for the back pocket IMHO.

Ackers was indeed a great player. I'd defmnitely slot Round in instead of Jolly now and I agree about Stevie Wright needing to be found a spot

Velour&Ruffles
30th October 2015, 11:02 PM

True, but hardly a recommendation. In my opinion, my auntie was better than Darren Jolly. She was 153 cm when she died in 1968, but her heart was far larger than his. It was (as far as I recall) the size of a budgerigar's testicle.