PDA

View Full Version : Membership Numbers 2016

YvonneH
30th November 2015, 08:46 AM
Anyone have any idea how our membership numbers are stacking up?

Read somewhere that St Kilda had (or were hoping, as I can't recall which) 20,000 before Christmas.

Jenny
1st December 2015, 08:01 AM
Hi All,

We've got 18,277 members on board already for 2016 - this puts us almost 2,000 ahead of the same time last year. It's shaping up to be another big year, on and off the field!

Hope you're all well, and looking forward to a safe and happy festive season! If you're around this Saturday, pop by and see us at the EQ markets, Moore Park. The membership crew will be there if you have any questions, and you can have your Santa photo with Cyggy! Should be a great day!

Cheers,
Jenny

Conor_Dillon
1st December 2015, 08:25 AM
Thanks Jenny, that's great news! And I must admit, a little unexpected.

YvonneH
1st December 2015, 08:57 AM
Good to see that RWO is the best place to have our questions answered quickly by Jenny.

Sandridge
1st December 2015, 10:35 AM
Hi All,

We've got 18,277 members on board already for 2016 - this puts us almost 2,000 ahead of the same time last year. It's shaping up to be another big year, on and off the field!

Hope you're all well, and looking forward to a safe and happy festive season! If you're around this Saturday, pop by and see us at the EQ markets, Moore Park. The membership crew will be there if you have any questions, and you can have your Santa photo with Cyggy! Should be a great day!

Cheers,
Jenny

Thanks Jenny for that very encouraging update!

Can't help but think of those terrible years in the 90s when there seemed to be more people on the field than off it.

Anyone know our lowest annual membership figures?
Anyone know our smallest crowd at the SCG?

swansrob
1st December 2015, 12:18 PM

5272 v Brisbane in 1990, I believe

neilfws
1st December 2015, 12:39 PM
Anyone know our lowest annual membership figures?

I suppose we could dwell on the negatives...

Lowest SCG crowd: August 17 1990, round 20 versus Brisbane Bears, 5272.

For comparison: lowest ever crowd of the Swans era (post 1981) - August 22 1992, round 23 versus Brisbane Bears at Carrara, 4349.

There are reports of 3000 from 1922 (Geelong) and 1941 (Hawthorn) but I guess those are estimated.

The only site I know with historical membership data is this one (http://www.aflmembershipnumbers.com/sydney-membership-numbers.html); it only goes back to 1995 when there were 6088 members. I'd guess there were less in the early 1980s.

aguy
1st December 2015, 01:10 PM
I agree it's surprising. I thought member numbers would drop a little this year as a rebound to the massive Increase last year. Good news though :-)

Go Swans

Sandridge
1st December 2015, 04:36 PM
Thanks swansrob and neilfws.

Knew it was bad but didn't think it was that bad!

We've come a long way!

1st December 2015, 05:00 PM
I've renewed already.

Whilst dwelling on the bad times, I was in Sydney for business in 1993 and went to training at the SCG one afternoon, sat in the front row. I was the only spectator there and the players kept looking at me every time they came past so I assume no one ever went to training during that dark period.

Nico
1st December 2015, 05:24 PM
I suppose we could dwell on the negatives...

Lowest SCG crowd: August 17 1990, round 20 versus Brisbane Bears, 5272.

For comparison: lowest ever crowd of the Swans era (post 1981) - August 22 1992, round 23 versus Brisbane Bears at Carrara, 4349.

There are reports of 3000 from 1922 (Geelong) and 1941 (Hawthorn) but I guess those are estimated.

The only site I know with historical membership data is this one (http://www.aflmembershipnumbers.com/sydney-membership-numbers.html); it only goes back to 1995 when there were 6088 members. I'd guess there were less in the early 1980s.

1922 doesn't surprise me; not many people had cars to get to Geelong. Thos that went probably went by train, and it could have been one of those horror wet days.
In 1941 Hawthorn was the worst team for a long time. Again could have been a howler of a day and if at Glenferrie it would have been a bog.
We went to a game against North at Coburg oval in the 60's or 70's and it poured all day. Cant have been more than 5000 that day.

With Buddy back in town expect a spike in sign ups and renewals.

Sandridge
1st December 2015, 05:50 PM
1922 doesn't surprise me; not many people had cars to get to Geelong. Thos that went probably went by train, and it could have been one of those horror wet days.
In 1941 Hawthorn was the worst team for a long time. Again could have been a howler of a day and if at Glenferrie it would have been a bog.
We went to a game against North at Coburg oval in the 60's or 70's and it poured all day. Cant have been more than 5000 that day.

With Buddy back in town expect a spike in sign ups and renewals.

I was at that game against North at Coburg! The crowd was that sparse that we could clearly see ourselves on the TV replay that night. (South wasn't on the replay very often - must've been a split round with less game choices to televise.) My father said we went to the game even though the weather was atrocious to support Bobby Skilton - it was his first game as coach, I think.

neilfws
1st December 2015, 09:24 PM
I was at that game against North at Coburg! The crowd was that sparse that we could clearly see ourselves on the TV replay that night. (South wasn't on the replay very often - must've been a split round with less game choices to televise.) My father said we went to the game even though the weather was atrocious to support Bobby Skilton - it was his first game as coach, I think.

I guess, since there has only been one South Melbourne game ever at Coburg Oval, that it is this one (http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1965/121619650419.html). Crowd 13774, perhaps better than you recall :)

Sandridge
2nd December 2015, 06:31 AM
I guess, since there has only been one South Melbourne game ever at Coburg Oval, that it is this one (http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1965/121619650419.html). Crowd 13774, perhaps better than you recall :)

Big thanks for the link Neilfws. The fact that it was a round one game supports my thought that it was Skilton's first game as a coach. I'm surprised at the crowd but the excitement of the beginning of a new season might explain why so many people braved the weather. Honestly, it was the wettest day at the football I've ever had! My memory was that we won the game though and you've confirmed that as well. Thanks!

royboy42
2nd December 2015, 10:01 AM
I've renewed already.

Whilst dwelling on the bad times, I was in Sydney for business in 1993 and went to training at the SCG one afternoon, sat in the front row. I was the only spectator there and the players kept looking at me every time they came past so I assume no one ever went to training during that dark period.

I try to get to training as often as I can, about a dozen times during preseason and every couple of weeks during season. Pre season there can be twenty or more watching, occasionally more. During the season, sometimes there will be half a dozen..if school groups are in, obviously numbers are up.
It doesn't seem to be a Sydney thing to watch training.
The club doesn't seem bothered..they rarely advertise training times, esp during season. I have emailed them and called so many times asking for times to be on the website, but rarely a response. And even then, they may advertise times for a week or so then forget about it again.
But worst is when I've been told open training times after calling the club..twice last season..and I drive 30k to the SCG to be told training is not open today,,coaches have changed their minds.
It is one of the rare unprofessional things about Sydney, and I find it extremely disappointing.
Maybe someone from the club might see this and have a think.

The Big Cat
2nd December 2015, 05:37 PM
Big thanks for the link Neilfws. The fact that it was a round one game supports my thought that it was Skilton's first game as a coach. I'm surprised at the crowd but the excitement of the beginning of a new season might explain why so many people braved the weather. Honestly, it was the wettest day at the football I've ever had! My memory was that we won the game though and you've confirmed that as well. Thanks!
I see Max Papley played that day. One Robert Skilton had 36 possessions

gazza
2nd December 2015, 07:39 PM
I recall going in the 90s, when they introduced the crowd to the players. we wandered anywhere in the scg, usually in the ladies stand

AnnieH
3rd December 2015, 11:54 AM
I renewed two yesterday.

Gronk
3rd December 2015, 01:37 PM
Is there a Swans membership satuation point?

In other words, the maximum number of members the Swans can sign without failing to meet their membership obligations (not having a seat available at a venue).

Does anyone know the key target number?

Conor_Dillon
3rd December 2015, 01:56 PM

In other words, the maximum number of members the Swans can sign without failing to meet their membership obligations (not having a seat available at a venue).

I don't think there would be a fixed number...a lot would depend on how what states our members are based in etc. as well as things like 3 game memberships.

But it's obviously logical that there's a finite number of Sydney/NSW based members we could have that are actually guaranteed a seat at every single home game. Maybe something like 45ish k?

DamY
3rd December 2015, 04:51 PM

I remember reading about 50k members as being an achievable target, and 45k+ would be when the SCG would start coming close to capacity. There is 5% set aside for walk-up sales so new ppl can come along but I think they want to have a high number of paid-up members for financial stability and a fan engagement point of view.

liz
3rd December 2015, 05:58 PM
I remember reading about 50k members as being an achievable target, and 45k+ would be when the SCG would start coming close to capacity. There is 5% set aside for walk-up sales so new ppl can come along but I think they want to have a high number of paid-up members for financial stability and a fan engagement point of view.

I think the SCG capacity is a fair bit lower than that, due to SCG membership. While some Swans memberships permit the member to sit in the SCG members region, the number sold must be a fair few lower than total capacity of that area. Given total capacity of the SCG is only around 50k ish, that means the seats available to the Swans to sell must be lower.

I suspect the club is still some way short of that. A sizeable proportion of memberships would be for Melbourne and country based members, where they don't have guaranteed access to the SCG for all home games.

aguy
3rd December 2015, 11:35 PM
I think the SCG capacity is a fair bit lower than that, due to SCG membership. While some Swans memberships permit the member to sit in the SCG members region, the number sold must be a fair few lower than total capacity of that area. Given total capacity of the SCG is only around 50k ish, that means the seats available to the Swans to sell must be lower.

I suspect the club is still some way short of that. A sizeable proportion of memberships would be for Melbourne and country based members, where they don't have guaranteed access to the SCG for all home games.
I agree I think there is a sizeable proportion of memberships which are non reserved seating memberships. Who knows it could even be up to 50% are non reserved seating. I for one have only had reserved seating for the first time last year. Prior to that I was a red 3 member. I have to say that last season was awesome and I plan to keep our reserved seats forever. The real question Being asked is what is the maximum number of reserved seating memberships that could be sold at the SCG. My guess would be about 30000 - 35000. Capacity is 47000 I believe. I think ther must be around 15000 or so seats in the red zone and SCG members sections. The rest of the ground is available to the swans for reserved seating allocation although at the moment they also sell general admission seats which I'm guessing they could do away with if demand got high enough for reserved seats.

Jenny
9th December 2015, 04:57 PM
I try to get to training as often as I can, about a dozen times during preseason and every couple of weeks during season. Pre season there can be twenty or more watching, occasionally more. During the season, sometimes there will be half a dozen..if school groups are in, obviously numbers are up.
It doesn't seem to be a Sydney thing to watch training.
The club doesn't seem bothered..they rarely advertise training times, esp during season. I have emailed them and called so many times asking for times to be on the website, but rarely a response. And even then, they may advertise times for a week or so then forget about it again.
But worst is when I've been told open training times after calling the club..twice last season..and I drive 30k to the SCG to be told training is not open today,,coaches have changed their minds.
It is one of the rare unprofessional things about Sydney, and I find it extremely disappointing.
Maybe someone from the club might see this and have a think.

Hi royboy42,

Thanks for your feedback on this. After reading your comment, we've worked with the football department to pull together a list of upcoming dates for open training which has now been published on the website.
You can check it out now: Open Training - December 2015 - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-12-09/open-training-december-2015).

Hope this helps, I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether this format is useful when planning to visit.

Cheers,
Jenny

erica
9th December 2015, 08:44 PM
Hi royboy42,

Thanks for your feedback on this. After reading your comment, we've worked with the football department to pull together a list of upcoming dates for open training which has now been published on the website.
You can check it out now: Open Training - December 2015 - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-12-09/open-training-december-2015).

Hope this helps, I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether this format is useful when planning to visit.

Cheers,
Jenny

Jenny,
I'll probably never make it to a training session but I sure appreciate the responsiveness on this matter. Thanks so much for following up with this. Another reason I love our club. :clap:

Meg
9th December 2015, 09:45 PM
+1

Sandridge
10th December 2015, 10:23 AM
Jenny,
I'll probably never make it to a training session but I sure appreciate the responsiveness on this matter. Thanks so much for following up with this. Another reason I love our club. :clap:

I won't make it to training either - it's a long trip from Melbourne -but great to know that positive suggestions from fans are being listened to. Another reason why this is such a great club!

Conor_Dillon
10th December 2015, 10:56 AM
Jenny can you please use your position of power to ask Horse and co to play more attacking footy this year? Cheers :eek::clap:

Swansongster
10th December 2015, 10:59 AM
I won't make it to training either - it's a long trip from Melbourne -but great to know that positive suggestions from fans are being listened to. Another reason why this is such a great club!

Do they have open training sessions when visiting Melbourne?

If so, times and locations would be a good addition to the pre-match emails.

Thanks Jenny for keeping us informed.

Jenny
10th December 2015, 02:22 PM
Jenny can you please use your position of power to ask Horse and co to play more attacking footy this year? Cheers :eek::clap:

Ha! Sorry Conor, my realm of influence doesn't extend to the footy department! I'm not sure I'd have much luck there!

Do they have open training sessions when visiting Melbourne?

If so, times and locations would be a good addition to the pre-match emails.

Thanks Jenny for keeping us informed.

Hi Swansongster,

We don't usually have open training sessions in Melbourne, unfortunately. We are however planning a Fan Day and some great match day functions for next season, so hopefully there will be a few opportunities to see the team! Stay tuned to your member emails and the website for details over the next few months.

That being said, if an open training session is set for Melbourne - I'll come right back here and let you know!

Jenny

AnnieH
10th December 2015, 02:30 PM
Jenny,

Another reason I love Jenny!!!!
Nothing is too much for the membership department.
Pack of legends, the lot of them.
:)

- - - Updated - - -

Horse and I discuss this after every home game on his way out of the rooms.
Discuss probably isn't the right word.
I talk.
He listens.
(Then laughs and walks away. :) )

royboy42
11th December 2015, 11:20 AM
Hi royboy42,

Cheers,
Jenny

Hi Jenny,
You're a champion..thank you so much for your help. I noticed the open sessions advertised on the website, and they really help.
Now, if we can continue throughout the season once the boys get onto the SCG, I'll be a very happy puppy. I know only one session a week is open then, and even then, no guarantee if we're travelling that next weekend. But please continue to use your influence to try and advertise those sessions.
Again, thank you.

Gronk
17th December 2015, 09:24 PM
Hi Jenny.

Innovation is the buzz word in Australia at the moment.

This below image represents the ultimate in innovative spectator engagement:

jacksonville hot tub - Google Search (https://www.google.com.au/search?site=&source=hp&ei=7YZyVoatOqXCmwWVyrcQ&q=jacksonville+hot+tub&oq=jacksionvle+hot+t&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.0i13l4j0i13i30.2977.14434.0.15953.20.19.1.3 .3.0.437.6740.2-2j11j6.19.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..4.16.4480.0.jfYDnPsgZLE#q=jacksonville+jaguars +hot+tub&imgrc=RXPA1OYp3la82M%3A)

Can you see a time where a Swans member can upgrade their membership to the "Red and White Cabana Hot Tub Deluxe".

Bloods05
17th December 2015, 09:51 PM
Hi Jenny.

jacksonville hot tub - Google Search (https://www.google.com.au/search?site=&source=hp&ei=7YZyVoatOqXCmwWVyrcQ&q=jacksonville+hot+tub&oq=jacksionvle+hot+t&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.0i13l4j0i13i30.2977.14434.0.15953.20.19.1.3 .3.0.437.6740.2-2j11j6.19.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..4.16.4480.0.jfYDnPsgZLE#q=jacksonville+jaguars +hot+tub&imgrc=RXPA1OYp3la82M%3A)

Can you see a time where a Swans member can upgrade their membership to the "Red and White Cabana Hot Tub Deluxe".

Oh God. "Innovative spectator engagement". I can feel another linguistic discussion coming on.

jono2707
18th December 2015, 07:08 AM
Jenny does a great job in communicating directly to us when we have questions, concerns feedback etc. Please let's not waste her time with silliness.....

Gronk
18th December 2015, 02:27 PM
Jenny does a great job in communicating directly to us when we have questions, concerns feedback etc. Please let's not waste her time with silliness.....

My post was feedback. Looking at spectator engagement around the World.

I'm sure the example I cited has already been discussed by the SCG trust and the Swans membership department.

ANZ would probably benefit from putting in some Cabana's and Hot Tubs to boost their premium offering. I will let Barry advise on that.

Conor_Dillon
18th December 2015, 05:22 PM
I'm sure the example I cited has already been discussed by the SCG trust and the Swans membership department.

Surely you jest?

mcs
19th December 2015, 11:07 AM

ANZ would probably benefit from putting in some Cabana's and Hot Tubs to boost their premium offering. I will let Barry advise on that.

For goodness sake - Jenny does a fantastic job coming on RWO and helping us out with genuine questions/queries around Membership. Don't waste her time with ridiculous dribble like this :hmmmm2:

20th December 2015, 09:42 PM
Hi Jenny.

I can see a time when RWO members (member singular perhaps) will cease to try to Americanise our gray game, and will stop using buzz words ... like buzz word. Matt80 was stopped. 6'2",220,etc was stopped. Doesn't the AFL have a three strikes policy?

Bloods05
21st December 2015, 10:27 AM
I can see a time when RWO members (member singular perhaps) will cease to try to Americanise our gray game, and will stop using buzz words ... like buzz word. Matt80 was stopped. 6'2",220,etc was stopped. Doesn't the AFL have a three strikes policy?

Love it. But maybe a bit of a freak show every now and then can add spice to our conversations, especially in the off-season. This guy is really something.

YvonneH
11th January 2016, 07:51 AM
Any more information on how are our numbers are going so far?

I visited the Giants website and under their membership page (in the right hand corner up the top) is their membership total (7,408).
The Hawks on their home page has 59,325.

Why can't the Swans do something similar?

liz
11th January 2016, 08:12 AM
Any more information on how are our numbers are going so far?

I visited the Giants website and under their membership page (in the right hand corner up the top) is their membership total (7,408).
The Hawks on their home page has 59,325.

Why can't the Swans do something similar?

Jenny explained on here last year that the club prefers to think of members as individuals, rather than just numbers in a race for a big number. They did relent towards the end of the pre-season and posted total member numbers on the website.

barry
11th January 2016, 01:27 PM
What an enlightened approach. :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

I am pleased to announce that I have relinquished my ANZ membership for 2016, so no longer can my foes use it as a crutch for their misguided conspiracy theories.

I am still of the opinion that the SCG sucks.

AnnieH
14th January 2016, 11:47 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I am pleased to announce that I have relinquished my ANZ membership for 2016, so no longer can my foes use it as a crutch for their misguided conspiracy theories.

OHHHHHHHHHHH.

so NOW you've given up on ANZ too.

Wow. That's just friggen gobsmacking.

I'd call you the name that I want to call you, but it would get deleted.

"I am still of the opinion that the SCG sucks."

Maybe you shouldn't go there either.

Dosser
14th January 2016, 01:06 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Well done, Barry. You crack me up :)

YvonneH
26th March 2016, 08:51 AM
Latest number on the Swans' website is 42,646.
Well done guys, can we break the 50,000 this year?

aguy
26th March 2016, 11:29 AM
Latest count 43246

bloodsbigot
28th March 2016, 02:59 AM
After last night we'll surely get 50k.

What a long way our clubs come since the early 1990's. :five:

If there's any consolation for the horrid results in the last 2 years it's the boost in memberships. I would wager that if this growth keeps up we'll surpass the big clubs. We have the growth potential with Sydney's population. Added the following in South Melbourne. Other clubs I feel have pretty much peaked. The Melbourne market is saturated, that's why we see other clubs sponging off cities like Hawthorn are with Launceston. When will that town wake up?

YvonneH
28th March 2016, 08:41 AM
:If there's any consolation for the horrid results in the last 2 years it's the boost in memberships:

Bloodsbigot, I am sure there are plenty of clubs that would have liked the 'horrid results' in the last 2 years that we have had.

bloodsbigot
28th March 2016, 04:02 PM
Bloodsbigot, I am sure there are plenty of clubs that would have liked the 'horrid results' in the last 2 years that we have had.

Losing to the Hawks in 2014 was the most heartbreaking experience I've ever had watching football. This includes 1996 and 2006. I honestly would have preferred finishing 8th. The North loss wasn't as bad, but it was certainly a kick in the balls.

neilfws
8th April 2016, 11:32 AM
We're only about 500 short of 50K now. Great effort!

Help us reach 50,000 members! - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-04-08/help-us-reach-50000-members)

barry
8th April 2016, 12:13 PM
Losing to the Hawks in 2014 was the most heartbreaking experience I've ever had watching football. This includes 1996 and 2006. I honestly would have preferred finishing 8th. The North loss wasn't as bad, but it was certainly a kick in the balls.

Agreed. Getting thrashed in a grand final is the worst possible outcome for a season. At least finishing down the order you have the consolation of draft picks.

dimelb
8th April 2016, 05:16 PM
Agreed. Getting thrashed in a grand final is the worst possible outcome for a season. At least finishing down the order you have the consolation of draft picks.

I imagine the coach's last words before they run out: "I have only one thing to say to you all - 2014." But have to get there first!

Mug Punter
8th April 2016, 06:11 PM

From a fan's perspective I'd tend to agree but I doubt Longmire would agree with that assessment, I'd say they'd be thinking the closer they get to the flag the better season they've had. You can't win a flag if you aren't in the Grand Final, the possibility of losing one is an unfortunate reality of sport

bloodsbigot
11th April 2016, 12:37 AM
Word is it's about 300 to go for the big 50,000. And unlikely to be inflated like the lying Hawthorn scumbag membership base.

swansrob
11th April 2016, 10:04 AM
Word is it's about 300 to go for the big 50,000. And unlikely to be inflated like the lying Hawthorn scumbag membership base.

The Swans website is saying 49,492 this morning

stellation
11th April 2016, 01:04 PM
We're not members this year because we just couldn't identify a package that worked for us, I know a couple of other folks who are in a similar boat. To see these sort of numbers for the club really is absolutely wonderful.

Go Swannies
12th April 2016, 01:16 PM
Release today: "The Sydney Swans have reached 50,000 members for the first time in the Club�s history and in doing so have become the first sporting team in Sydney to achieve the milestone.The membership record follows the Swans return to the SCG for all home games in 2016 and comes on the back of three rousing wins in the opening three rounds of the season.
To celebrate and say thank you, the Swans have welcomed the 50,000th member into their home at the SCG.
10-year-old Zachary Redman was beaming as he was greeted by coach John Longmire and Swans players, who gave him a surprise tour of the Club�s inner sanctum."

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like Buddy has been a great investment both on and off the field. We do support a very clever club.

12th April 2016, 03:29 PM
Let's not underestimate the Buddy effect in getting fringe followers to join up. A great investment and from 2017 with the much increased cap he will look cheap!

Great that a 10yo was the 50,000th member, was never going to be any other way :-)

swanspant12
12th April 2016, 06:39 PM
Unbelievable effort. Bloody hell I love this footy club!

Mug Punter
12th April 2016, 09:29 PM
Release today: "The Sydney Swans have reached 50,000 members for the first time in the Club�s history and in doing so have become the first sporting team in Sydney to achieve the milestone.The membership record follows the Swans return to the SCG for all home games in 2016 and comes on the back of three rousing wins in the opening three rounds of the season.
To celebrate and say thank you, the Swans have welcomed the 50,000th member into their home at the SCG.
10-year-old Zachary Redman was beaming as he was greeted by coach John Longmire and Swans players, who gave him a surprise tour of the Club�s inner sanctum."

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like Buddy has been a great investment both on and off the field. We do support a very clever club.

Clearly heading back to the SCG permanently has been good for us

C'mon barry give us your worst.....

mcs
12th April 2016, 09:42 PM

Don't get your hopes up Mug - with all those people defecting to GWS, our 50K wont last :rofl:

Great effort from the club to reach a substantial milestone. Yes we are only one of two afl clubs in Sydney, but there is a multitude of competition for only limited $$$ membership wise. This is no small feat from the club.

barry
12th April 2016, 11:43 PM
50,000 is an amazing result and would have been hard to believe a few years ago. The buddy recruit is a masterstroke even if he doesn't win us a flag.

This must surely cement our long term future that we can stop fearing a bottom out and early1990s crowds again . I mean we could lose 20,000 bandwagoners and still have 30k members.

Swansongster
13th April 2016, 12:30 AM
Forgive me if I missed it earlier in the thread ... but ... do we know how many of that 50,000 are Melbourne/Victorian members?

bloodsbigot
13th April 2016, 12:59 AM
Let's not underestimate the Buddy effect in getting fringe followers to join up. A great investment and from 2017 with the much increased cap he will look cheap!

Great that a 10yo was the 50,000th member, was never going to be any other way :-)

I want to play down the Buddy effect because I like to think swans supporters are more than just supporting a celebrity/flashy/high profile player.

Though I guess Lockett and Capper are players that built the game in Sydney and helped generate the interest that led to the eventual 50k mark so who am I to judge?

- - - Updated - - -

50,000 is an amazing result and would have been hard to believe a few years ago. The buddy recruit is a masterstroke even if he doesn't win us a flag.

This must surely cement our long term future that we can stop fearing a bottom out and early1990s crowds again . I mean we could lose 20,000 bandwagoners and still have 30k members.

Yeah, exactly. Just the fact that our club has a solid financial base now is a relief.

- - - Updated - - -

In a sense I'm a bit saddened by moving away from ANZ, because it had cheaper tickets and made seats available for the average Joe. Gave people an opportunity to experience the game. I only discovered this last year as it was the first time I attended an SCG game or ANZ game.

Meg
13th April 2016, 02:32 AM
Forgive me if I missed it earlier in the thread ... but ... do we know how many of that 50,000 are Melbourne/Victorian members?

No I don't think that figure has been publicised. Several years ago it was said we had about 10,000 Victorian members. It would be interesting to know if that figure has grown as part of the overall growth.

barry
13th April 2016, 08:03 AM
The buddy effect is real. The swans stuggle for media in sydney and therefore need a glamor forward. Capper, lockett, hall, buddy have delivered spikes in support.

Post buddy its a no brainer to go after the next glamor forward

Sandridge
13th April 2016, 09:30 AM
50,000! Absolutely amazing!
Thank you so much to the numerous passionate and very smart people who have turned a club that nearly died in the 90s in to the club it is today.
So proud!

Triple B
13th April 2016, 10:17 AM
I want to play down the Buddy effect because I like to think swans supporters are more than just supporting a celebrity/flashy/high profile player.

Though I guess Lockett and Capper are players that built the game in Sydney and helped generate the interest that led to the eventual 50k mark so who am I to judge?

It's not that the extra numbers and recent joinups are just supporting Buddy, but the Buddy/Plugger/Capper effect does get people curious enough to actually go to a game.

As we know, the game live at the ground is 1000x better than on TV because you can actually see that unlike League etc. their is action off the ball that TV doesn't pick up and I've little doubt that you need to see the game live to appreciate it. My stock standard line to people who haven't been to a live game is 'You MUST see it live before passing judgement'. I've taken countless friends and work colleagues to games over the years and while not everybody falls in love with it and jump online to join, they nearly all enjoy it and comment how different the live experience was to how they imagined it from their limited TV watching.

Levii3
13th April 2016, 05:39 PM
No I don't think that figure has been publicised. Several years ago it was said we had about 10,000 Victorian members. It would be interesting to know if that figure has grown as part of the overall growth.

Andrew Ireland said a few weeks back when the membership count was around 43k that there were over 12,000 members in Vic so now some where between 12 and 14k

Meg
13th April 2016, 07:48 PM
Andrew Ireland said a few weeks back when the membership count was around 43k that there were over 12,000 members in Vic so now some where between 12 and 14k

That's great, I think the 'one club two cities' aspect of the Swans is very special.

I love the fact that the players guernseys have 'SMFC' on the back. And I noticed in a recent Swanshop booklet sent to me that there are about five different, very attractive shirts and jumpers for both men & women that you can buy which have 'South Melbourne Swans' written on them with the old-style Swans emblem. Great salute to our history.

Swansongster
14th April 2016, 01:22 AM

Chuckle. Probably more Swans members in Victoria than there are GWS members in the universe.

That said, I'll actually be happy if their support grows to rival ours.

YvonneH
11th May 2016, 09:23 AM
We have passed the 52,000 (52,075 according to the Swans membership site). Well done to us. Will it be reported anywhere else, probably not.

Sandridge
11th May 2016, 10:34 AM
We have passed the 52,000 (52,075 according to the Swans membership site). Well done to us. Will it be reported anywhere else, probably not.

Absolutely magnificent!!

dimelb
11th May 2016, 12:58 PM
Well done us!

And how much of it is down to Bud Franklin and the Sundance Kid?

barry
11th May 2016, 01:22 PM
This is the sort of number sydney should be getting in finals making years

ScottH
11th May 2016, 01:37 PM
Well done us!

And how much of it is down to Bud Franklin and the Sundance Kid?

If only they'd nicknamed him Butch!!

11th May 2016, 11:39 PM
Club is making serious progress off field. Buddy recruitment is a winner all round!

YvonneH
15th June 2016, 08:55 AM
Latest total is 53,846. The deadline must be coming soon, so will we make 54,000?

bloodsbigot
17th June 2016, 07:07 PM
We cracked 54k. What a fantastic achievement.

Oh and for reference, our memberships are actually way more expensive than the fake Hawthorn memberships:

No wonder they have 72k, *ahem*, 'members'... they give them out like candy.

jono2707
17th June 2016, 07:56 PM
Cool table - where did you find it?

Not wishing to start another GWS bashathon, but their revenue figure appears startlingly low. I wonder if that's an issue for the league or if it's as expected?

We look nice and healthy!

Mug Punter
17th June 2016, 09:44 PM
We cracked 54k. What a fantastic achievement.

Oh and for reference, our memberships are actually way more expensive than the fake Hawthorn memberships:

No wonder they have 72k, *ahem*, 'members'... they give them out like candy.

This really interesting.

It really does show we are starting to become very strong off the field. I'm very surprised by the Goald Coast numbers, surely they don't charge their members that much?

The GWS numbers are appallingly low, truly terrible and they prove exactly what many of us (jono2707 and me especially) have been suggesting but these numbers prove it. The vast vast numbers of their members are three game happy clappers, Swans members and Canberra guys. And whilst they'll be a bit better this year and crack seven figures they'll still be appallingly low. They just have so so far to go and it just proves that the AFL will be propping these guys up with 8 figure cheques for many many years to come. Will this be acceptable when the start winning flags, I don't think so.....

It's pretty impressive we are now above every Melbourne club instead of Collingwood in terms of revenue which makes their membership wars all look a bit silly. And it also shows how poor the Doggies are financially that with such an exciting team that they still generate such little cash. Hawthorn's per member numbers also surprise but I guess Tassie members water it down

Also, how string will the WA clubs be when they get their new stadium.

Mug Punter
17th June 2016, 09:51 PM
I was at the GWS match and went to a pre-game function and was chatting to some people involved at GWS. Gawd they were smug, all executive types who had only recently discovered AFL. What a bunch of tools.

They were gazing out at the crowd saying how it was all going to plan, notwithstanding it was only our members that made it a decent crowd, I wonder what they think of these numbers. That after five years of absolute media saturation here in Sydney they still can't even get a million dollars in ST renewals. Truly truly appalling when you realise that most of that parlously low number is fans of other clubs and mainly ours.....

barry
17th June 2016, 11:33 PM
Gws price per membership would be done due to canberra and 3 game passes.

Gold coast seems way high. Who would pay an average of $400?

R-1
18th June 2016, 02:33 AM
They just have so so far to go and it just proves that the AFL will be propping these guys up with 8 figure cheques for many many years to come.

Every club in the league gets an 8-figure distribution from the AFL every season. GWS have so far gotten 5-7m a year more than the standard distributions, and a smaller amount more than St Kilda or the Dogs get... and that extra funding is time limited and will diminish over time.

barry
18th June 2016, 08:56 AM
Dont let facts get in the way of attempts at creating a faux rivalry

aguy
18th June 2016, 11:13 AM
I'm thinking that maybe I should buy at three game GWS membership myself. I could just guarantee myself a grand final ticket that way. You would have to think that if GWS get into the gf then ALL GWS members would get a seat in the grand final ballot

dejavoodoo44
18th June 2016, 11:28 AM
I'm thinking that maybe I should buy at three game GWS membership myself. I could just guarantee myself a grand final ticket that way. You would have to think that if GWS get into the gf then ALL GWS members would get a seat in the grand final ballot
Hmmm, that opens up the interesting possibility of a Swans/Giants GF, where the areas set aside for Giants members, are largely filled by people wearing Swans colours. Long odds of course, but hey.

R-1
18th June 2016, 03:58 PM
On current membership numbers and without a Victorian base I'd expect GWS members (like me with my Canberra membership) have a good chance of getting two seats.

bloodsbigot
19th June 2016, 01:56 AM
Cool table - where did you find it?

Not wishing to start another GWS bashathon, but their revenue figure appears startlingly low. I wonder if that's an issue for the league or if it's as expected?

We look nice and healthy!

Bigfooty. But according to the guys source it's from the AFL Annual Report, page 78.

It really puts into perspective where we are as a club off the field, as far as I'm concerned. We are pretty much already a power club and a major moneymaker.

Those Hawthorn wankers can crap on about their 'significant' member numbers all they like, just show them how much their memberships are worth compared to ours. We make $3 million more in revenue despite them having 20k more 'members.'

I've long suspected Hawthorn are a hollow shell of a club and these figures prove it. The pokies revenue and their home game attendances versus other Victorian teams make them look deceptively good.

Heck, even though they won almost everything in the 1980s they almost folded in 1996.

The swans are deceptively strong. @@@@ the haters.

Faunac8
19th June 2016, 09:15 AM
Dont let facts get in the way of attempts at creating a faux rivalry

I think the time is coming if it isn't already here that a genuine rivalry will exist between us. Look at the SA and WA examples one team manufactured and lacking in history against a club ( or clubs in WA ) with an extensive and proud history.
The derbies are always a highlight no matter where the respective teams are on the ladder and I see that becoming the case in Sydney.
Make no mistake GWS are here for the long term and won't be going anywhere in a hurry.

barry
19th June 2016, 09:23 AM
I've long suspected Hawthorn are a hollow shell of a club and these figures prove it. The pokies revenue and their home game attendances versus other Victorian teams make them look deceptively good.

Heck, even though they won almost everything in the 1980s they almost folded

Its the colours. A person could only put up with p00 and wees colours if they were winning.

Mug Punter
19th June 2016, 04:47 PM
Every club in the league gets an 8-figure distribution from the AFL every season. GWS have so far gotten 5-7m a year more than the standard distributions, and a smaller amount more than St Kilda or the Dogs get... and that extra funding is time limited and will diminish over time.

What I was referring to was the losses the AFL pays to prop up GWS, of course I know that each club gets an 8 figure distribution.....

There's next to no chance of that club coming anywhere near breaking even for 30 years. That table confirms what we all suspect, that GWS are effectively giving away most of their tickets and still getting poor crowds. The numpties in their corporate box would say they are buying market share I suppose....

barry
19th June 2016, 04:52 PM
In that table the swans are up there with west coast and adelaide, so you can understand why the AFL thought it was time for a 2nd sydney team.

Mug Punter
19th June 2016, 05:03 PM
Bigfooty. But according to the guys source it's from the AFL Annual Report, page 78.

It really puts into perspective where we are as a club off the field, as far as I'm concerned. We are pretty much already a power club and a major moneymaker.

Those Hawthorn wankers can crap on about their 'significant' member numbers all they like, just show them how much their memberships are worth compared to ours. We make $3 million more in revenue despite them having 20k more 'members.'

Heck, even though they won almost everything in the 1980s they almost folded in 1996.

The swans are deceptively strong. @@@@ the haters.

We actually struggle to make a lot of cash at the moment but we are more viable than most. Most clubs are like us and re-direct surplus cash into their football operations but I can see us trying to bui;d some new income streams.

I'd like to say you are right about Hawthorn but I'm pretty sure they are on solid ground financially and one definitely one of the haves in the AFL.

I do think we have the potential to become a financial powerhouse but at the moment I'd have us in the second of five tiers

Tier 1 - West Coast, Freemantle, Collingwood, Crows
Tier 2 - Swans, Port Adelaide ,Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn
Tier 3 - Richmond, Melbourne North Melbourne
Tier 4 - Brisbane, Gold Coast, , St Kilda, Western Bulldogs
Tier 5 - GWS

Basically I think Tiers 1-3 are essentially viable clubs whose financial fortunes may change from time to time whereas Tier 4 will struggle to ever survive without AFL handouts. Tier 5 will never survive without Daddy covering their expenses

- - - Updated - - -

Mug Punter
19th June 2016, 08:00 PM
It's also interesting to see the 150-200 fans at Etithad all behind the two goals, friends and family from the Riverina I suspect. All decked out in their ridiculous orange t shirts so they stand out on TV.

It's a childish attempt of the AFL to paper over their low support

barry
19th June 2016, 08:43 PM
I think you are being very kind to gold coast. Lol

R-1
20th June 2016, 01:18 AM
What I was referring to was the losses the AFL pays to prop up GWS, of course I know that each club gets an 8 figure distribution.....

There's next to no chance of that club coming anywhere near breaking even for 30 years. That table confirms what we all suspect, that GWS are effectively giving away most of their tickets and still getting poor crowds. The numpties in their corporate box would say they are buying market share I suppose....
They need to find 5-6m more per season to run at breakeven on a St Kilda level budget recieving a typical small club distribution. Between their already quite strong sponsorship prospects, the likely increased crowd and member revenue, and the probable Manuka Green property venture, that's really not out of the question.

bloodsbigot
20th June 2016, 02:19 AM
I'd like to say you are right about Hawthorn but I'm pretty sure they are on solid ground financially and one definitely one of the haves in the AFL.

I read somewhere Hawthorn make $18 million in revenue from the pokies. More than any other club.

Hawthorn made something like a $4 million profit in 2015 compared to our $800k. Take away that pokies money (Feeding off people's misery and suffering) and they're a lightweight. They'd be so far in the red it's not even funny. They're very comparable to a club like North Melbourne, who turns a profit despite not using pokies. And North Melbourne is considered a lightweight club.

The only 'real-deal' revenue streams should be membership, ticket sales and sponsorship. Swans have a stronger sponsorship and a stronger membership base. As far as crowds go, their crowd figures are inflated by the attendances of other Mebourne clubs; it'd be like the swans playing another Sydney team every second week.

Ludwig
20th June 2016, 02:27 AM
I read somewhere Hawthorn make $18 million in revenue from the pokies. More than any other club.

Hawthorn made something like a $4 million profit in 2015 compared to our $800k. Take away that pokies money (Feeding off people's misery and suffering) and they're a lightweight. They'd be so far in the red it's not even funny. They're very comparable to a club like North Melbourne, who turns a profit despite not using pokies. And North Melbourne is considered a lightweight club.

They weren't satisfied just feeding off the misery and suffering of Swans supporters. They had to go after their own.

Go Swannies
1st July 2016, 09:59 AM
Tweeted by Pres. Pridham an hour ago. Yay!

barry
1st July 2016, 10:34 AM
They need to find 5-6m more per season to run at breakeven on a St Kilda level budget recieving a typical small club distribution. Between their already quite strong sponsorship prospects, the likely increased crowd and member revenue, and the probable Manuka Green property venture, that's really not out of the question.

Yes, success will bring more TV exposure, and more sponsorship dollars. and with the limitations at Spotless, you'd think once they get to the 20,000 membership mark they will have to cap it and be able to charge a premium (ala West Coast). Fair way to go, but not unthinkable.

bloodsbigot
1st July 2016, 05:24 PM

Good god...

I could just about cry. :tears_of_joy:

Sandridge
1st July 2016, 07:04 PM

Absolutely magnificent!!!

Untamed Snark
1st July 2016, 07:20 PM

That's a beautiful sight

bloodsbigot
1st July 2016, 09:52 PM
Could 60k be possible?

Mug Punter
1st July 2016, 11:57 PM

Amazing

Mel_C
2nd July 2016, 02:28 PM
Would love to see this highlighted in the media but of course it won't happen. Who would have thought after the dark days that we would now have so many members.

bloodsbigot
2nd July 2016, 04:07 PM
Would love to see this highlighted in the media but of course it won't happen. Who would have thought after the dark days that we would now have so many members.

No chance in hell. They tend to only highlight the front-runners.

They 'may' mention it a few years down the track when they do yet another NRL versus AFL article.