PDA

View Full Version : Pre Season Injury Update

Scottee
14th December 2015, 02:23 PM
The club has posted probably the most comprehensive injury update report on all of the player bar AJ on the website today. Hope they keep this up.

Conor_Dillon
14th December 2015, 02:57 PM
Quick wrap for those that haven't watched the video:

McGlynn having more calf issues...not a great sign for someone his age and with his history of soft tissue injuries.

Heeney's knee tendonitis has flared up again but nothing major.

Foote unable to run at the moment due to a shin complaint.

Talia had minor finger surgery after a training mishap.

Buddy having slightly more serious finger surgery next week, back in January. (I assume he will still be doing plenty of running though)

McVeigh had knee surgery post-season and is currently nearing of the end of 3 months without running, expected to start again at Christmas time.

Jones had similar but less serious surgery than McVeigh, first lot of running this week. Disappointing as I was hoping his pre-season would be massive.

Parker back doing 100% of the running.

K.Jack doing roughly 50% of the running.

Reid - running and kicking but not participating in full drills yet (cautious approach)

Naismith - only just started running recently...sounds like he is coming from a long way back. Explains the desperation at recruiting Sinclair.

Do we normally have this many issues in November? Seems like more than usual although I can't remember ever seeing a report this extensive so it may have just been that we were kept in the dark.

14th December 2015, 03:42 PM
............ Do we normally have this many issues in November? Seems like more than usual although I can't remember ever seeing a report this extensive so it may have just been that we were kept in the dark.

A depressing read given we have absolutely NO depth :-(

Gee we really need those fringe players to step up quickly!

rojo
14th December 2015, 07:54 PM
There's no need to rush McVeigh and McGlynn. It will enable Hanners, Parks and Mitchell to take on more responsibility and see who from the tier below can step up. I hope they don't rush Mills. It is unfortunate that Heeney has picked up so many injuries in his first year - you can almost make a case to say that he was not managed well. He started off with a bang in the forward line but by the end of the season he was back, forward, all over the park when Parks and Jack were out - was it too much for him?

giant
14th December 2015, 08:50 PM
That is a pretty nasty injury list for November!

Nico
14th December 2015, 09:20 PM
Quick wrap for those that haven't watched the video:

McGlynn having more calf issues...not a great sign for someone his age and with his history of soft tissue injuries.

Heeney's knee tendonitis has flared up again but nothing major.

Foote unable to run at the moment due to a shin complaint.

Talia had minor finger surgery after a training mishap.

Buddy having slightly more serious finger surgery next week, back in January. (I assume he will still be doing plenty of running though)

McVeigh had knee surgery post-season and is currently nearing of the end of 3 months without running, expected to start again at Christmas time.

Jones had similar but less serious surgery than McVeigh, first lot of running this week. Disappointing as I was hoping his pre-season would be massive.

Parker back doing 100% of the running.

K.Jack doing roughly 50% of the running.

Reid - running and kicking but not participating in full drills yet (cautious approach)

Naismith - only just started running recently...sounds like he is coming from a long way back. Explains the desperation at recruiting Sinclair.

Do we normally have this many issues in November? Seems like more than usual although I can't remember ever seeing a report this extensive so it may have just been that we were kept in the dark.

McGlynn - replaceable
Heeney - hope it stays minor
Foote - Rookie
Talia - Minor
Buddy - 2 weeks off for goodness sake
McVeigh- a seasoned player who has a hardened body so will come to hand quickly
Jones - Running already. No great setback. He won't take a break over the festive season to catch up.
Parker - why is he on the list
Jack - typical slow build up of a seasoned player
Reid - Doesn't mean he is not fit
Naismith - a 1 game player

Hardly a list of gloom and doom. Of that list Heeney is my only concern.

Conor_Dillon
14th December 2015, 10:12 PM
I just listed everyone that was mentioned in the video...they mentioned Parker because he's returning from a reasonably serious injury, same with Jack and Reid.

liz
14th December 2015, 10:39 PM
Better a list like that in November than in February. Or August.

I share Nico's view that none is too bad from a list point of view. From an individual player perspective, it is sad to read that McGlynn is having ongoing problems with soft tissues. It does sound like the end might be quite close for him, given his history and age. But from a team perspective, we have few champing at the bit to fill his role, and he barely played in the second half of last season anyway.

goswannies
14th December 2015, 11:50 PM
Parker - why is he on the list

Preseason running is often either endurance (for baseline fitness) or straight line sprinting.
After his injury, doing these uni-directional runs is different to agility & ball-work, which would exert more force on his recovering injury.
He could do the easier running at 100% but might not manage the more difficult stuff as comfortably or as well.

swansrob
15th December 2015, 09:19 AM
There's no need to rush McVeigh and McGlynn. It will enable Hanners, Parks and Mitchell to take on more responsibility and see who from the tier below can step up.

Hanners is a dual All Australian and the current of the Coaches Award Player of the Year - he is not a tier below anyone

Conor_Dillon
15th December 2015, 09:45 AM
Hanners is a dual All Australian and the current of the Coaches Award Player of the Year - he is not a tier below anyone

I think he was referring to the tier below Hannebery, Parker and Mitchell...i.e Lloyd, Cunningham, B.Jack, Robinson etc.

swansrob
15th December 2015, 10:12 AM
I think he was referring to the tier below Hannebery, Parker and Mitchell...i.e Lloyd, Cunningham, B.Jack, Robinson etc.

Ah yes, I see that now. Apologies, rojo, I take it back

Auntie.Gerald
16th December 2015, 10:09 PM
i just watched parts of the swans vs pies mid aug 2015 game today

can i suggest in the interest of ensuring that Heeney is a 10 yr midfielder for the bloods that he rarely plays a leading med/small forward anymore

i think he twinged muscles 3 times in the first qtr alone just flying thru the air for a mark and landing badly

17th December 2015, 05:05 PM
Agree, straight into the midfield for Heeney, Rose is our med/small forward :-)

YvonneH
18th December 2015, 07:33 AM
Looking forward to seeing James Rose play again.
He is so enthusiastic and that is infectious.

18th December 2015, 07:44 PM
Rose is enthusiastically infectious. I've got little doubt we have a player on our hands in Rose, reckon he will step up big time after another preseason. Just looks to have footy smarts and they are invaluable as a small/med forward.

We really need guys like Rose, BJ, Towers, Hewett to step up and I haven't included Mills in that list because from all reports he is almost a walk up starter like Heeney was last year. The NEAFL stats of Mills showed he was way in advance of the aforementioned guys as a 17yo!