aardvark
16th February 2016, 05:13 PM
Where is Tom Wills Oval?

Sydney Olympic Park.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-05-06/giants-honour-tom-wills

ugg
11th March 2016, 04:35 PM
Don't forget the match tomorrow!

A team list provided here NEAFL: Saturday's dress rehearsal - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-03-11/neafl-saturdays-dress-rehearsal)

doesn't have the 3 omitted from today's NAB Challenge Game. Not sure if they can't make it back in time.

9. Abe Davis
19. Tom Derickx
30. Tyrone Leonardis
31. Harry Marsh
34. Jordan Dawson
38. Colin O'Riordan
36. Aliir Aliir
42. Xavier Richards
43. Lewis Melican
47. Kyle Galloway
41. Eli Prescott*
44. Jaad Matesic*
48. Will Gowers*
49. Harrison Carr*
50. Sam Wilson*
51. Tom Chichester*
52. Jacob Hennessy*
53. Lachlan Behagg*
54. Ryan Hebron*
55. Ned Reinhard*
56. Jake Veale*
57. Jake Bartholomaeus*

rb4x
11th March 2016, 05:25 PM
Where is Naismith

liz
11th March 2016, 05:36 PM
Where is Naismith

Where he generally is - in rehab :frown

ugg
12th March 2016, 10:19 AM
Very hot and muggy morning. Tom Wills Oval is an awful place to watch as there is no elevation

I see Robinson and Hiscox warming up. I assume BJ is also here.

Updating on Twitter @swansreserves

undy
12th March 2016, 10:51 AM
Where is Tom Wills Oval?

And for those who haven't seen one of my gratuitous Neil Murray plugs before - here's his great song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCUm2IZMrbc) about about Tom Wills. The last few verses remind me of ROK, PK, Jude.

...and for balance, here is Mick Thomas' song about Tom Wills (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wFF1fZl4M), on Marngrook (and I never knew Marngrook's Grant Hansen was a musician until a few weeks ago when I saw him playing in a support act).

ugg
12th March 2016, 11:00 AM
BJ confirmed playing and had quite a bit of it. O'Riordan looks to have nice kicking skills and Galloway working in tandem with Derickx in the ruck and up forward. Marsh playing midfield from what I can tell

Haven't seen Abe Davis though

ugg
12th March 2016, 11:35 AM
Giants won that quarter 47-0

Robbo walked out of the dressing rooms a few minutes into the second quarter and walked over to the bench. Didn't come on but walked to the rooms with rest of the team at half time

We really missed him as we lack midfielders in this team. We ended up trying Dawson, Marsh and Veale in there at times.

Thought the defence played well in the first quarter but struggled with their disposal in the second term and the Giants pressure paid off with repeat entries into their forward fifty.

ugg
12th March 2016, 12:16 PM
Better effort that quarter but giants still won it 26-13

Jack battling hard in the midfield and kicked a nice solo goal while Dawson started forward but switched back and provided a long option out of defence.

3Q @swansreserves 4.3 (27) WSU giants 12.14 (86) goals: Jack 2 Derickx WSU: #53 3 Patton 2 Pickett Kennedy Barrett Flynn Lloyd Reid #48

ugg
12th March 2016, 12:37 PM
Full time @swansreserves 5.4 34 Giants 13.21 99 goals: Jack 2 Hiscox Derickx Chichester

WSU goals: #53 3 Patton 2 Kennedy 2 Pickett Barrett Flynn Lloyd Reid #48

Highlight for the swans was Jordan Dawson playing the spare man in defence and launching attacks with his raking long left kicks

WolfGang
12th March 2016, 01:34 PM
Is there a list of best players ??

dejavoodoo44
13th March 2016, 08:32 AM
I'm just wondering which side had the most top ten draft picks? Our Friday night side, or the GWS reserve side that went around on Saturday?

ugg
17th March 2016, 08:02 PM
Hewett Jones Nankervis Rose and Newman granted special permission to play the NEAFL practice game

Im guessing they are in that group who played some NAB matches and hence require the permission whereas someone like Ted didn't play any so doesn't require permission

Meg
17th March 2016, 10:32 PM
Hewett Jones Nankervis Rose and Newman granted special permission to play the NEAFL practice game

Im guessing they are in that group who played some NAB matches and hence require the permission whereas someone like Ted didn't play any so doesn't require permission

Good point, seems likely to be the explanation. Would there be some other players whom you would expect to play in this match but have not been granted "permission" but who are in similar position to Ted - that is, didn't play in NAB? Aliir Aliir? Abe Davis?

ugg
17th March 2016, 10:43 PM
Davis didn't play last week's NEAFL practice match, even though he was named. Off the top of my head the guys who didn't play NAB but played NEAFL last week are Derickx, Aliir, O'Riordan, Melican and Galloway

troyjones2525
18th March 2016, 09:02 PM

I'm not sure it works that way. I believe you have to get permission for any senior listed players to play the week before the season meaning Ted would have to be on that list. But i could be wrong...

ugg
18th March 2016, 09:12 PM
So you're saying Dawson BJ XR leonardis Aliir Derickx and Hiscox won't be playing tomorrow?

liz
18th March 2016, 10:41 PM
My guess is that you need to seek permission for anyone who played in NAB 3. Players are meant to have a week off before the season starts- hence the need for "permission" if they don't get that week off. Nankervis is the odd one out of that group given permission as the only one who played in all three NAB games. Presumably the club has argued he's not really in the running for a round 1 senior game, and hence it is to his benefit to keep playing as much footy as possible.

It would certainly be a bit pointless the Swans playing a practice game with only five players.

Meg
18th March 2016, 10:45 PM
The AFL is a bit clueless putting out the list of names with "permission" without bothering to explain what the term means. Typical of the AFL's poor communication skills in my view.

Meg
18th March 2016, 11:50 PM
Ted indicates here that he hopes to be playing in Reserves match.

'"We've got a reserves game so I'm hoping to play in that, but at the same time if I do get ruled out of that I'm not sure what that means for round one," Richards said.'

Swans veteran disappointed with AFL tardiness on Goodes - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-18/swans-veteran-disappointed-with-afl-tardiness-on-goodes)

Steve
19th March 2016, 12:07 PM
It is confusing as Joel Selwood is on Geelong's 'permission' list (and did play yesterday) but is in the same boat as Richards re: missing the NAB Challenge.

Scottee
19th March 2016, 12:27 PM
Any RWOers going to this game?

aguy
19th March 2016, 12:37 PM
I'm not there. But teddy isn't playing

From the Twitter feed it sound like the swans are edging having the better of a physical game with the swans names that keep popping up being hewett nankervis rose leonardis

Ludwig
19th March 2016, 12:37 PM
Someone is giving updates of the match on the Reserves twitter: Swans Reserves (@swansreserves) | Twitter (https://twitter.com/swansreserves)

Doesn't seem that Ted is playing. I assume that means he's out for round 1.

ugg
19th March 2016, 12:54 PM
Jones not playing either

aguy
19th March 2016, 12:57 PM
Interesting ugg. Are you at the game ? Hopefully they are just managing jones from the knee knock last week. He was starting to look promising.

If jones and teddy don't play next week then you would think Newman has to be elevated.

annew
20th March 2016, 09:21 PM
Very disappointing that very few reserves games are played at SCG prior to seniors games. Why play Gold Coast at Newcastle??? Why play at Drummoyne Oval.

Pmcc2911
25th March 2016, 04:53 PM
Is there are team list for the game any where

ugg
25th March 2016, 05:08 PM
Take the players who played last week's game, add Ted and McGlynn, subtract the players who called up to the seniors (and most likely Hiscox as the emergency) and you get

Rose
Davis
Nankervis
Derickx
McGlynn
T.Richards
Newman
Leonardis
Marsh
B.Jack
Dawson
Aliir
O'Riordan
X.Richards
Melican
Galloway

A bit light on true inside mids, B.Jack and McGlynn are the obvious choices. Davis will probably return there after playing forward last week while Rose, Dawson and Marsh have been used there already this pre-season.

Not sure why Sam Murray hasn't played, he's not on the official injury list.

Pmcc2911
25th March 2016, 08:03 PM
I was interested in which Acadamy boys played

ugg
26th March 2016, 05:12 PM
What a turnaround from two weeks ago when the Giants (who admittedly were slightly stronger then compared to today) beat us up by about the same margin, so to turn the tables and give them a touch up was particularly sweet. The tackling and pressure applied by the Swans was top notch and most noticeably our skills improved considerably, especially in the last quarter when kick and handball targets found their men whereas GWS were uncharacteristically sloppy and turned the ball over across their half forward time and time again.

James ROSE - Continued where he left off last week with a brilliant display across half forward. Like any good forward he had the ability to create space for himself and he used it the ball smartly with well directed kicks to teammates instead blazing away wildly. His first 2 goals were great crumbs - the first he was at the drop of the ball and snapped the goal with his left, the second he was front and square at the drop of the ball and kicked with his right. The third goal was a disputed contested mark with Patfull, Patfull (rightly) complaining that he touched it first so it shouldn't have been a mark but the umpire pinged him for abuse and let Rose kick the easy goal from the goalsquare. Besides his 3 goals, he set up plenty of forward 50 marks - chip kicks, long kicks, high kicks, low drilled kicks - they all seemed to find its mark. Not afraid to take the play on (and sometimes ran himself into trouble but that's to be expected when you play that way) and create on the run.
Abe DAVIS - Played forward with short spells in the midfield. Quiet in the first half but provided a strong marking target inside 50 and ran out the game well kicking 2 in the last quarter.
Tom DERICKX - Another strong outing against Dawson Simpson, taps were probably even but I believe Derickx offered more around the ground. As usual, when in the ruck, sat a kick behind play to aid the defence rather than pushing forward. Some athletic marks (and attempts at marks) today
Ben McGLYNN - Sat out the first quarter and was couldn't wait to get on at the start of the 2nd quarter. It was your typical Benny McG game, attacking contests at pace, running and tackling hard, drawing a few head high free kicks mixed in with some poor kicking. He split time between midfield and forward (more forward time) and presented well as a forward. He'll be happy with this hitout but having been managed for 3 quarters I doubt he will get back in the seniors next week.
Ted RICHARDS - Like McGlynn, sat out the first quarter and when he came on had the big job on a hungry looking Patton. Unfortunately he looked real rusty, was slow off the marks a few times and allowed Patton a few marks on the lead. Very vocal in arranging the defenders. I would expect a few more weeks in the NEAFL to get his match fitness back.
Nic NEWMAN - Solid game from Newman, I particularly liked that he stuck a few tackles today but I thought his impact of the game was minimal.
Tyrone LEONARDIS - Leonardis was rotated through a few positions today, adding inside midfield and forward time to his usual half-back and wing roles. Again his pace and line breaking were eye catching with his ability to shrug tackles away a highlight of his game. Showed quick and clean hands in the forward line and used his pace to chase down a quick Jarrod Pickett who was about to kick for goal. Was shouted at by Teddy a few times for not marking his man, but on the whole another promising outing for the youngster.
Harry MARSH - One of the best games I have seen from Marsh. Playing midfield and resting forward he was very effective in the defensive aspects of his game, tackling hard and causing Giants to turnover the ball. Hurt himself twice and limped off once but ran out the game so it was most likely a cork than any serious injury.
Brandon JACK - Played more outside today compared to previous 2 weeks and while he did some very good things going forward he was also frustratingly wasteful with the ball at times, either making a poor decision or taking too long to dispose of the ball.
Jordan DAWSON - Used all over the ground again, splitting time mainly between forward and midfield this week. Showed glimpses of class at times but also very quiet for patches of the game. Snapped a difficult goal out of a ball up.
Aliir ALIIR - Surprisingly given the task on Patton in Quarter 1, usually XR gets this unenviable task and he rose to the occasion, playing well on the whole on Patton who was keen to get up and down the ground. He would be disappointed in giving away 1 goal to Patton during his time on him (Patton finished with 5) when he failed to keep enough body contact during a wrestling marking contest and allowed Patton to easily push back and bump Aliir off position and mark uncontested. Disappointing he wasn't given the chance to continue this battle with Patton for the rest of the game, but understandable given Teddy's need to return to full fitness.
Colin O'RIORDAN - Will be entertaining watching his development, he definitely does not shy away from chasing the ball and backs his ability to kick the football. However his decision making isn't on par with some of his kicking (handballing isn't that flash either), and will make a more than his fair share of mistakes while learning in the NEAFL. There was an amusing moment when he received a 50m penalty just outside our defensive 50, he sprinted with the umpire to the mark, left his Giant opponent his wake while running past the mark, approached 50 and with the goals in his sights, hit it 15m off the side of his boot
Xavier RICHARDS - With Patton playing up the ground, Richards was our deepest lying defender marking the resting ruckman and was relatively untroubled for the day.
Lewis MELICAN - Defence in the first quarter and released to the wing when Teddy came on at quarter time. Not a bad user of the ball further up the field but lacked the speed to go with their quicker players in open space.
Jordan FOOTE - Started the game in the middle, playing opposite either Coniglio or Barrett. Memorable tackle on Coniglio when the Giant looked clear and aiming for goal. He didn't play out the game, but this was probably a tactic to manage his return from injury (I'm guessing he went off at half time)
Kyle GALLOWAY - With his big frame and ability to move well for his size, he causes problems for the shorter defenders. At the moment he competes well to bring the ball to ground, but when he adds marking to his game, will be a genuine goal threat as a forward. As a ruckman, relieved Derickx in a couple of short spells during the game.
Topups - #50 Matt Wilson kicked 3 goals 3 behinds and impressed all round with his reading of the play and skills, followed up on his equally impressive performance last week. #51 Lachlan Behagg competes well for a tall forward, works hard on leads and was rewarded with 2 goals. #56 Jake Veale again received time in the middle and looks a natural there

Swans 4.2 8.8 12.11 19.13 (127)
Giants 3.4 6.8 10.8 10.8 (68)

Goals: Rose 3 Wilson 3 Davis 3 Behagg 2 McGlynn Marsh Jack Dawson Galloway Gowers Reinhard McFadden

liz
26th March 2016, 06:30 PM
Ever so slightly off topic, but what on earth is Conglio doing playing NEAFL?

ugg
26th March 2016, 06:47 PM
A bit like Ted and Ben he was injured for most of the preseason and they didn't think he was fully fit. In addition they had strong alternatives although after today I think that thinking might change.

26th March 2016, 06:50 PM
Ever so slightly off topic, but what on earth is Conglio doing playing NEAFL?
Coming back from injury

Plugger46
26th March 2016, 07:02 PM
Coniglio, Patton, Haynes, Hoskin-Elliott and Patfull all playing NEAFL. Haven't they got some depth.

26th March 2016, 11:07 PM
Coniglio, Patton, Haynes, Hoskin-Elliott and Patfull all playing NEAFL. Haven't they got some depth.

Sure have, 19 players selected in the top 10, some teams have 1 or 2.

Thanks Ugg for your excellent report.

dimelb
26th March 2016, 11:19 PM
Thanks ugg, helpfully informative report.

Meg
27th March 2016, 12:28 AM
Thanks from me as well Ugg, I enjoyed reading your report, really informative.

dejavoodoo44
27th March 2016, 05:33 PM

Which is sort of interesting. Without knowing who else was playing, there are respectively, a pick one, a pick two, a pick seven and a pick four, running around in their reserves. In contrast, our team that thrashed Collingwood last night, had two top ten picks; Buddy, who was taken at five and young Mills, who cost us a number three pick.

Mug Punter
27th March 2016, 09:59 PM
Which is sort of interesting. Without knowing who else was playing, there are respectively, a pick one, a pick two, a pick seven and a pick four, running around in their reserves. In contrast, our team that thrashed Collingwood last night, had two top ten picks; Buddy, who was taken at five and young Mills, who cost us a number three pick.

Logic says that their talent must result in success but it's no guarantee of a flag. My personal view is that if they don't make the finals in season 5 (this year) then the predictions of a GWS dynasty may not eventuate. I can't help but think the completely artificial set up of the place, the plastic fans (the away section on Saturday was sad and pathetic) and the general apathy towards them can't but provide a holiday camp atmosphere. And I think the Stevie J experiment could go horribly wrong.

They may well rue the loss against the Dees, not too many top 8 teams will lose to them. Their game against Geelong will be crucial for GWS, lose that and they could well be 0-3 if we beat them.

dejavoodoo44
30th March 2016, 08:37 AM
Logic says that their talent must result in success but it's no guarantee of a flag. My personal view is that if they don't make the finals in season 5 (this year) then the predictions of a GWS dynasty may not eventuate. I can't help but think the completely artificial set up of the place, the plastic fans (the away section on Saturday was sad and pathetic) and the general apathy towards them can't but provide a holiday camp atmosphere. And I think the Stevie J experiment could go horribly wrong.

They may well rue the loss against the Dees, not too many top 8 teams will lose to them. Their game against Geelong will be crucial for GWS, lose that and they could well be 0-3 if we beat them.

Yes, and if you look at Carlton, many people thought that three number one picks and Chris Judd, guaranteed them a place at the top of the table. Instead, they went in the other direction. And I do think that with GWS, it could become a situation where most of their high draft picks, once they get a few years into their contracts, will decide that they are entitled to contract upgrades, and with the salary cap, this could lead to a lot of bitterly clashing egos.

Mug Punter
30th March 2016, 12:24 PM
Yes, and if you look at Carlton, many people thought that three number one picks and Chris Judd, guaranteed them a place at the top of the table. Instead, they went in the other direction. And I do think that with GWS, it could become a situation where most of their high draft picks, once they get a few years into their contracts, will decide that they are entitled to contract upgrades, and with the salary cap, this could lead to a lot of bitterly clashing egos.

If they don't make the finals this year then the wheels could really fall off.

I also think the fact that they have put their young players, highly promising young players but as yet unproven, on massive over the top multi year contracts will come back to bite them. I just think it makes them feel they've made it before they have. Plus there's the go home factor, I can see why playing for the Swans with our history and culture is exciting but I see nothing exciting about playing for that club. I cannot wait until I hear the first GWS player wanting out because "they want to play for a proper football club".

dejavoodoo44
30th March 2016, 02:35 PM
Or, "Yeah, but when I signed up, I thought there'd be beaches".

Mug Punter
30th March 2016, 03:14 PM
Or, "Yeah, but when I signed up, I thought there'd be beaches".

Or, I thought there would be fans that know the difference between a Sherrin and an easter egg...

And yes, I know that comment is a bit silly but I think the lack of any fan base to speak of and a highly uneducated and docile one at that does have an impact. It leads to an absolute lack of accountability and connectivity to the players and club. Like that games at the MCG, I can guarantee 90% of the GWS fans were strategically placed behind the goals there, all 50 of them, so that they could pan the cameras there. the number of times the same GWS fans came on the telly was ridiculous. And I strongly suspect they have a rent-a-crowd happening for those matches and that even those fans are all expenses paid just to give that mob some credibility.

How embarrassing is it going to be when they play a bit final in Melbourne and take 200 supporters? Because, seriously, that is going to happen