PDA

View Full Version : Rnd.2 Match Day Thread Carlton V Sydney. 4.40pm Etihad Stadium.

aardvark
3rd April 2016, 11:08 AM
19 Deg and a little cloudy with a gentle south westerly breeze. Carlton $4.33 Swans $1.23.

Plenty of upsets already this weekend, hope we're not another one. Go Swannies!

Zlatorog
3rd April 2016, 12:32 PM
There will be no upset if Carlton is taken seriously. Melbourne players thought that their win over Essendon is a given, but they received a spanking confirming that you should never underestimate your opponent.

Danzar
3rd April 2016, 01:30 PM
Even with Carlton's gigantic ten day rest, they are toast.

Ludwig
3rd April 2016, 01:47 PM
This game will determine who is better, Carlton or

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wGv0gDsPmXc/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAJk/eUikgVVTegw/photo.jpg

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............Collingwood.

ScottH
3rd April 2016, 03:47 PM
Anyone keen for a beverage before the game?
In or around etihad?

Danzar
3rd April 2016, 04:44 PM
Late scratching for Carlton - Walker out, Rowe in. Final teams: Sunday - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-03/final-teams-sunday-round-two)

Untamed Snark
3rd April 2016, 05:08 PM
Considering my horrendous tipping this weekend I'm now concerned

Cheer_Cheer
3rd April 2016, 05:33 PM
Eddie.. NOOOOOO !

Levii3
3rd April 2016, 05:38 PM
WTF EDDIE why!!

troyjones2525
3rd April 2016, 06:00 PM
Cunningham!!! I keep saying it to all those that want him out of the side, the best deliverer in the team!

Mel_C
3rd April 2016, 06:12 PM
Bit scrappy. We have kept the forward line open however when we get it there is no one to kick to. Buddy is being double teamed so we need to look for better option.

Gee the Carlton supporters around me are whingers!!!!

Danzar
3rd April 2016, 06:14 PM
I think it's the Fox commentary team, hence Eddie.

troyjones2525
3rd April 2016, 06:29 PM
This umpiring is starting to piss me off! They miss a number of obvious free kicks for us and then pull out some shocking decisions for them!

Untamed Snark
3rd April 2016, 06:31 PM
This umpiring is starting to piss me off! They miss a number of obvious free kicks for us and then pull out some shocking decisions for them!

Somethings never change ????

goswannies
3rd April 2016, 06:32 PM
Sneeky @$$ hole Carlton 50m! Tommy Mitchell threw it to where the Carlton player WAS but he kept backing back so it fell short!

Danzar
3rd April 2016, 06:50 PM
Good finish. Really loving Sinclair's form tonight.

Scottee
3rd April 2016, 06:51 PM
Carlton players very grumpy today.

bodgie
3rd April 2016, 06:51 PM
Great to see us hitting leading forwards after years of floaters and hopers!

Levii3
3rd April 2016, 06:53 PM
Tippett and Sinclair what a ruck combo can get hitouts and go forward and kick goals beautiful to watch and Robbos goal was parker-esque

troyjones2525
3rd April 2016, 06:55 PM
Carlton players very grumpy today.
They have hit us with a number of cheap shots! Glad the boys aren't standing for it and are giving it back!

Good first half from us considering we aren't getting looked after by the umpires. They stats may say so but its the many they've missed that you don't see and the soft ones Carlton have recieved in return. Hopefully we blow them away in the 2nd half!

dejavoodoo44
3rd April 2016, 06:57 PM
Sneeky @$$ hole Carlton 50m! Tommy Mitchell threw it to where the Carlton player WAS but he kept backing back so it fell short!

Yes, just to add to the insult of plucking out a non-existent ruck free.

Ludwig
3rd April 2016, 06:57 PM
Sneeky @$$ hole Carlton 50m! Tommy Mitchell threw it to where the Carlton player WAS but he kept backing back so it fell short!Goswannies, since you're on here now, what's your take on the Talia Lisfranc injury? Is he going to need surgery? Or not enough info to determine?

Good finish. Really loving Sinclair's form tonight. I noticed that Jetta had 8 disposals, 3 effective, today. So far the trade is looking good.

dejavoodoo44
3rd April 2016, 07:01 PM
Tippett and Sinclair what a ruck combo can get hitouts and go forward and kick goals beautiful to watch and Robbos goal was parker-esque

Yes, our ruck duo have been throwing their weight around nicely. And I was pleased that Robbo put it through after the umps missed a fairly blatant 50.

- - - Updated - - -

Goswannies, since you're on here now, what's your take on the Talia Lisfranc injury? Is he going to need surgery? Or not enough info to determine?

I noticed that Jetta had 8 disposals, 3 effective, today. So far the trade is looking good.

Yes, Jetta and West Coast may not be a marriage made in heaven.

Danzar
3rd April 2016, 07:08 PM
I noticed that Jetta had 8 disposals, 3 effective, today. So far the trade is looking good.

I think the test of he trade will be solely dependant on Sinclair's form, not Jetta's. Jetta never got back to his 11/12 best. I thought on that basis alone it was a good trade. If Jetta ever becomes the gun he could have been, it would be due to his move West. It wasn't going to happen at Sydney I don't think.

Scottee
3rd April 2016, 07:15 PM
Is this Waterhouse rules or something?

goswannies
3rd April 2016, 07:25 PM
Goswannies, since you're on here now, what's your take on the Talia Lisfranc injury? Is he going to need surgery? Or not enough info to determine?.

The latter.

If un-displaced & no neuro vascular compromisation, it's usually conservatively managed. Moonboot, non-weight bearing

If displaced, try for closed reduction.

If unstable, open reduction, internal fixation.

If neuro vascular compromise ... problems.

Far as I've heard, the club hasn't revealed the severity.

Likely similar time out whether operated or not. Although, often the metalwork is removed at 6 weeks - a few months. More surgery. More time off.

Problem with Lisfranc injury is he will lose general fitness. Can run until it's well healed. Also, as a primary weight bearing joint of the foot it's pretty painful with running or even walking until it's healed a fair bit.

Hmmm actually, I think they might be going conservative (based on no known facts, just that they expected him to be back before season's end - that might imply that they have a projected recovery time which is probably easier when you can eliminate the uncertainties of surgery). Again, that is just supposition only.

Sandridge
3rd April 2016, 08:18 PM
Have smashed Pies and Blues in the first 2 rounds!! Does it get any better than this?

GO THE MIGHTY BLOODS!!

mcs
3rd April 2016, 08:30 PM
I think the test of he trade will be solely dependant on Sinclair's form, not Jetta's. Jetta never got back to his 11/12 best. I thought on that basis alone it was a good trade. If Jetta ever becomes the gun he could have been, it would be due to his move West. It wasn't going to happen at Sydney I don't think.

Well so far so good, sinclair had a very decent game today!

Good performance again today, carlton are not going to be walkovers this season and gave us a good run for our money early.

Cat wait for the derby next week, should be a cracker!!!

dejavoodoo44
3rd April 2016, 08:38 PM
One thing that I was wondering after Boekhort's blatant staging: is there actually the capacity for the umpire to reverse a decision? I mean, can they look up at the replay screen, realise that they've been conned and give the ball back to the team that has been cheated?

bodgie
3rd April 2016, 08:56 PM
Very encouraging to see the new guys back up their efforts of the 1st week.

i'm-uninformed2
3rd April 2016, 08:57 PM
Watching today I'm reminded why I'm still recovering from the decision to exclude Laidler late in the year in 2014. And I say that as a fan of Horse.

He's a hard competitive more skilful than recognised footballer.

aguy
3rd April 2016, 09:03 PM
A very encouraging game.

Terrific game from Sinclair and Tippett in the ruck. They've become a formidable pair.

The new guys from last week backed up well. I especially liked papley taking his mark against Simpson before goaling.

Cunningham played a very good game. Towers was a Bit quiet today and Lloyd wasn't as active as last week but still played a very important link job. Mills looking solid for a very young guy. A few poor decisions from him but that's to be expected for his early games.

Like I said overall very pleased

neilfws
3rd April 2016, 09:12 PM

Really liking Tippett's attitude this year and I'm liking him with Sinclair even more. Great to have a working ruck/forward combination again. Different to the Mumford days (enjoyed watching him crash and bash in the Geelong game today), but different in a good way.

Two solid wins to start the season, pretty good. Hope they don't let down their guard next week.

liz
3rd April 2016, 09:19 PM
Very hard to pick the best players. Most of the senior players were excellent, and the youngsters contributed well too.

I especially like the look of steely determination on Tippett's face. Even though the game was already won, there was no way he was going to miss any of those final quarter shots at goal.

Papley's going to face tougher challenges, but he's a young man with a heap of confidence in his ability at this level. To even attempt that mark was one thing. To complete it, against a significantly taller and very experienced opponent, was classy.

Jack seems to be the forgotten player in the media amongst our senior midfield core. Kennedy, Hannebery and Parker all get plenty of recognition but Jack's putting his hand up and saying "What about me?" in the best possible way.

Melbourne_Blood
3rd April 2016, 09:27 PM
Very hard to pick the best players. Most of the senior players were excellent, and the youngsters contributed well too.

I especially like the look of steely determination on Tippett's face. Even though the game was already won, there was no way he was going to miss any of those final quarter shots at goal.

Papley's going to face tougher challenges, but he's a young man with a heap of confidence in his ability at this level. To even attempt that mark was one thing. To complete it, against a significantly taller and very experienced opponent, was classy.

Jack seems to be the forgotten player in the media amongst our senior midfield core. Kennedy, Hannebery and Parker all get plenty of recognition but Jack's putting his hand up and saying "What about me?" in the best possible way.

Agree about Jack, is it just me or does he seem to have regained that agility and explosiveness that seemed to have dropped off the past couple couple of seasons? It makes such a difference to our midfield when we have someone who can explode or quick step out of a pack rather than just bullock through and shoot a scrappy handball out of a tackle.

Mug Punter
3rd April 2016, 09:32 PM
Was a bit distracted watching the game so I'll be interested in others' opinions here.

A good all-round performance, winning the games you should.

I like the Tippett-Sinclair combo and I was thrilled to see the three newbies back up last week's performances, they look like keepers to me:) If Papley can be a small forward who contributes 25-30 goals this season he'll be worth his spot for the full year.

Robbo looks to have improved, he'd be miles ahead of BJ, whose elder bro had another good game. It will be the improvement in the bottom six of our 22 this year that will determine how far we go in September and from two rounds I'd say that the following players have improved significantly this season over 2015 - Jones, Heeney, Lloyd, Robbo and Mitchell.

Buddy looks great doesn't he, back to his best and I reckon he's got a bit left in him too.

Thought Towers had another game where he contributed well. One passage of play in the 4th was great from him where he made a tackle then backed up to deliver the ball upfield for a goal. I love the fact that him and blokes like Hewett just do a role for the team and they both look every inch AFL footballers.

Today we did what good teams do, put weaker teams away and Carlton, despite being an improved side with some good young talent, are still weak. Next week will be our sternest test and I'm really looking forward to it.

Isn't it great to be enjoying the footy again after all the bad energy of last year

And the other good news is the form of the twos with a big win over the Lions, our depth really is starting to improve

Cheer_Cheer
3rd April 2016, 09:39 PM
My overall impression of our side now is that we are very well balanced. A really nice mix of players across the whole park. Our handballing has been exceptional so far and our kicking has improved. Still needs more improvement but very pleasing to see it heading in the right direction. Kizza is looking fantastic. Moving better than he has for quite a while. Listening to Eddie was hard.

Nico
3rd April 2016, 09:41 PM
KJ was very good out of the centre again. We had many clean centre clearances and boy has it made a difference to our game. It puts so much pressure on the opposing defence and 0ur mids just swarm forward to pick up any spills.

Both Tippett and Sinclair were excellent at centre bounces. Sinclair takes the ruck duel and then continues forward to win the footy. Tippett was sensational around the ground and a lot of his grunt work below his knees goes unnoticed. Really, really strong in the packs. BOG for mine.

I just love the way we play the corridor and how players immedaitely go on the move to find space there. Exciting footy to watch and we can get better. A few times we went that one extra handpass when we had them dead to rites with an open forward line, and caused a turnover. I reckon a couple resulted in turnover goals.

barry
3rd April 2016, 09:48 PM
No weak links. Good signs

Mug Punter
3rd April 2016, 09:51 PM
KJ was very good out of the centre again. We had many clean centre clearances and boy has it made a difference to our game. It puts so much pressure on the opposing defence and 0ur mids just swarm forward to pick up any spills.

Both Tippett and Sinclair were excellent at centre bounces. Sinclair takes the ruck duel and then continues forward to win the footy. Tippett was sensational around the ground and a lot of his grunt work below his knees goes unnoticed. Really, really strong in the packs. BOG for mine.

I just love the way we play the corridor and how players immedaitely go on the move to find space there. Exciting footy to watch and we can get better. A few times we went that one extra handpass when we had them dead to rites with an open forward line, and caused a turnover. I reckon a couple resulted in turnover goals.

I'd rate Kizza as our most improved and he was by no means poor last year

Panttz
3rd April 2016, 09:56 PM
You know everyone is happy when there are only a couple of pages on these kinds of posts!

Looking ahead, who makes way for Rohan and Reid when they return?

I'm guessing McVeigh comes in for Hewitt or Robinson. Who else makes way?

giant
3rd April 2016, 10:07 PM
Very good performance. Mitchell is turning into an outstanding AFL midfielder. Are Tippet and Sinclair becoming the blueprint for the new ruck regime? Early days, but good signs.

Tougher test next week - bring it on!

Industrial Fan
3rd April 2016, 10:07 PM
McVeigh in jones out.

Carlton were good in patches but couldn't sustain the effort.

Big men ripped them apart, youngsters were good again. Mills had a fair few clangers and poor decisions this week.

giant
3rd April 2016, 10:09 PM
One thing that I was wondering after Boekhort's blatant staging: is there actually the capacity for the umpire to reverse a decision? I mean, can they look up at the replay screen, realise that they've been conned and give the ball back to the team that has been cheated?

No but you'd hope the tribunal has the balls to lighten his wallet by a few $.

mcs
3rd April 2016, 10:18 PM
You know everyone is happy when there are only a couple of pages on these kinds of posts!

Don't forget that the first one likely to be back is McGlynn, who had a strong game in ressies yesterday. I think he comes in for Robinson probably as the first change, but no idea who drops out for Reid and Rohan when they are fit. Our team is looking really balanced at the moment, and playing some great early season footy.

On a broader note, the lower interchange limit is certainly helping to open up the play - the footy over the first two rounds has been excellent in general, I'm actually sitting and enjoying watching not involving the Swans for the first time in a few years.

Scottee
I think one or two of the youngsters were feeling a bit sore after the game.

Mug Punter
McVeigh in jones out.

Carlton were good in patches but couldn't sustain the effort.

Big men ripped them apart, youngsters were good again. Mills had a fair few clangers and poor decisions this week.

You could we be right there but I'd like to see us persist with Jones so I guess that means Robinson would make way which also seems grossly unfair.

No idea where you'd fit Reid in, clearly there is a place for him in the best 22 but we may ease him back through the twos to defer the decision I'd think.

So, out of the 22 we have the following knocking on the door by my reckoning - BJ, Rohan (when fit) McGlynn and Rose. We'll still be still be stretched at times depth wise, and I suspect all these guys will get some senior footy this year, but no I see it as more of an opportunity.

barry
3rd April 2016, 10:25 PM
I think all the first year players will be rotated in and out of the team over the year. They won't be able to sustain 22 games in a row

Levii3
3rd April 2016, 10:27 PM
Is it just me or did Hewett look a bit tired half way through the third

Umpires were trying to please the crowd it seemed at times the two most infuriating ones were Blaine DiCaprio Boekhorst and Ed Curnow grabbing Sinclairs arm and hitting himself in the head until he got a free kick i mean seriously what the hell...

You can't take jones out of the side, McVeigh is good but Jones has the speed needed to play HB even Robbo looked better today. Mills tried to squeeze the ball into some places which i don't mind practice makes perfect Malceski didn't get good overnight

Is Heeney injured or something seemed off today?

Levii3
3rd April 2016, 10:32 PM
Hope Tippet gets some positive media this week everyone is quick to jump on him when he has a bad game but no one acknowledges him when he's playing well and no one talks about his tackling and harassing around the ball I don't understand why people seem to think he's soft

We did a great job stopping Cripps and Murphy today props to the midfield great effort

dejavoodoo44
3rd April 2016, 10:43 PM
No but you'd hope the tribunal has the balls to lighten his wallet by a few $.
Or maybe as a means of public shaming, there needs to be a new category created at the Logies: Best Performance By A Staging Footballer.

Industrial Fan
3rd April 2016, 10:47 PM
Jones is too much of a walking clanger for my liking.

He is quick but his temperament is rubbish and his kicking needs some work.

Will get found out at the pointy end like he was last year. Pallet and Hewitt are much more our style of player.

dejavoodoo44
3rd April 2016, 10:47 PM
Hope Tippet gets some positive media this week everyone is quick to jump on him when he has a bad game but no one acknowledges him when he's playing well and no one talks about his tackling and harassing around the ball I don't understand why people seem to think he's soft

We did a great job stopping Cripps and Murphy today props to the midfield great effort
Yes, that's one thing that impressed me today; how well the midfielders, especially Mitchell, harassed and locked down their opponents.

mcs
3rd April 2016, 10:52 PM

Will get found out at the pointy end like he was last year. Pallet and Hewitt are much more our style of player.

Jones needs time and patience - we surely all remember when many people (myself included) referred to McVeigh as McHack. Yes he needs to work on his kicking, but he is coming on, and needs to be given an extended run in the team, as there is potentially a very decent footballer in there. The temperament side is not such an issue to me - yes he has the odd brainfart, but you need a few players will to play a bit on the edge, and he will improve in that respect over time.

I love what Papley and Hewitt have done so far - Papley in particular is a real little livewire, and our forward line looks so much better with the structure we've had so far. Hewitt was a bit quieter today compared to last week I felt, but still had some really good moments. These young guys will be up and down a bit, but we need to have some faith, take the good and the bad, and enjoy the ride. That extends to Mills and Heeney as well.

dimelb
3rd April 2016, 10:55 PM
The usual suspects played well, as we expect them to: KJ, Parker, Hannebery, Josh K, Mitchell, Buddy, Reg, Laidler, Rampe etc. etc. Not taking them for granted, just pleased with everyone's contributions. And the youngsters are going well.

The ones who haven't played for us until this season are particularly important and are contributing to what is shaping as a very formidable team. Callum the Large had a top game, as others have noted the strength of his combination with Tippett - what a pair - and although Callum the Less had his share of clangers, he still shows brilliance at times to make the mouth water. I was particularly impressed with the ongoing development of George Hewett and Tom Papley. It is a huge advantage to have genuine first grade ready contributors like that, and while they may need a break as the season wears on, I hope to see them there at the pointy end.

The future looks exciting. Bring on GWS, and we'll need to be firing on all cylinders to get over them.

ugg
3rd April 2016, 11:01 PM
A lot has been made about the debutants from last week - Hewett, Mills and Papley - and rightly so as they've deserved the plaudits going their way (In particular, Papley was again excellent today). However I was also just as impressed by some of the experienced but lower stature players from the past few years - Lloyd last week and Cunningham this week - who before the season began I felt would have to improve if the team was going to replace the loss of the experienced Goodes, Shaw and Pyke.

Cunningham's left foot pass on the run to a leading forward, was as Bruce McAvaney would say, simply delicious.

longmile
3rd April 2016, 11:02 PM
Reading the west coast bigfooty forum right now is some of the most fun I've had at other people's despair for a lil while. I know its very early on but they're absolutely putrid over the Jetta and Sinclair trade. Cant help but feel we had a massive win there

wolftone57
3rd April 2016, 11:05 PM
I'd rate Kizza as our most improved and he was by no means poor last year

While Kizza got heaps of the ball last year even he would admit his disposal was really crap. He is normally very good in that department but seemed to be always rushed last year. that was in part due to his rib soreness and in part due to psychological effects of his rib injury

Mug Punter
3rd April 2016, 11:10 PM
I think all the first year players will be rotated in and out of the team over the year. They won't be able to sustain 22 games in a row

You're probably right there but it would only if their form warranted it. Of the three I can see George being the most likely to have a spell, probably for Reid he's almost there but he looks like he needs just one more pre-season in the weights to handle the rigours of a full AFL season

On the other hand we're only a couple of injuries away from our supposed depth being a bit of an illusion. BJ is a long way off and I don't know how Rohan will go this year tbh. Sure we've got Jarrad and Reid to come back and McGlynn will challenge fore a spot but we'll get injuries and rotating players won't be an option.

Industrial Fan
3rd April 2016, 11:11 PM
Jacks movement and particularly his change of direction has improved moreso than his kicking

Cheer_Cheer
3rd April 2016, 11:18 PM
Did anybody else develop a case of tourettes when Eddie called us an "all star" team ?

Levii3
3rd April 2016, 11:20 PM

Rhyce Shaw... Hes quicker than shaw a more accurate kick stronger tackler and he's got a bit of mongrel in him which i like

He's played 17 games so hold of until he's played atleast 50 games

Mug Punter
3rd April 2016, 11:45 PM
Rhyce Shaw... Hes quicker than shaw a more accurate kick stronger tackler and he's got a bit of mongrel in him which i like

He's played 17 games so hold of until he's played atleast 50 games

I agree, I'd like to see him given an extended run and let him develop.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Rampe had a great game today, took a crazy brave mark flying with the flight of the footy and used the ball well.

He is a bit of a quiet achiever, a bit like Laidler, never gets huge plaudits but would be one of the first in the teamsheet

CureTheSane
3rd April 2016, 11:54 PM
Laidler was one of the stand outs for me.

What I took out of the game was that when Carlton made an error they were made to pay, usually through errant handballs etc
When we made the same errors, we scrimmaged around and managed to get possession back.

Also I thought Eddie was tolerable today.
His comment "Wright - wrong!" was pretty funny.

Ludwig
4th April 2016, 12:28 AM
Also I thought Eddie was tolerable today.
His comment "Wright - wrong!" was pretty funny.As was when he used the term old 'campaigners' when referring to some Carton players, a term others often used to describe Eddie himself.

wolftone57
4th April 2016, 02:33 AM
Did anybody else develop a case of tourettes when Eddie called us an "all star" team ?

More 'What was that Lewis'?

Rob
4th April 2016, 07:19 AM

Doesn't Papley as the rookie upgrade for Rohan being on the LTI list have to make way? Are we able to swap him over to taking AJ's list spot when Rohan returns?

Primmy
4th April 2016, 08:42 AM
I was getting pretty annoyed that Eddie was ok at calling this game. He did that to annoy the Swans I am sure.

Agree that Jeremy is turning up his game this season, I have always liked him, but now I really like him.
Loved Mills getting kick in duties once or twice, talk about learning on the job!
Love Jones. He is a fiesty little firebrand, reminds me of Geelong's Paul Chapman.
Looks like Callum Sinclair is going to make the most of his move to Sydney.

I'd like to acknowledge the seniors and the leadership group. They have obviously helped the transition of the first year/first season players into Sydney Swans at a high level, this is not a team of 'who is left in the pot' players.

Doctor J.
4th April 2016, 09:12 AM
I think one or two of the youngsters were feeling a bit sore after the game.

That kick by Hewett (or was it Robinson) late in the last where he kicked the ground was the sign of a very tired person.

I think Papley was definitely suffering from cramp in the last.

Nico
4th April 2016, 09:18 AM
Hewett seemed quiet early but was prominent in the second half. Got right into the play and got a few frees for head high tackles, after he put his body in and won the ball, a bit like Joel Selwood.

Our ball use has been so good that I question automatically bringing back McGlynn. He is hard and all that goes with that, but his disposal has always been poor and turns it over a lot. I think he should be a depth player who easily steps into the 1's. Also Reid; has little speed and is slow to move the footy on. If he plays he plays FF out of the square. People say he is a CHB but that goes against the very slick movement from defence we are displaying. Opponents would target him for forward pressure. I can't see him spreading quickly like Rampe, Laidler and Grundy. Plus our forwards are very accurate from set shots right now.

It appears we are handling the fatigue factor very well.

Also thought Lloyd came good in the second half. Was he running with Cripps or maybe Murphy.

ugg
4th April 2016, 09:43 AM
Reid is actually one of our quickest players at the club. In the draft testing for his year he beat guys like Jetta and Rohan in the 20m sprint and was highly placed in the beep test. He certainly would have guys like Grundy and Laidler covered for pace.

RogueSwan
4th April 2016, 10:17 AM
Reid is actually one of our quickest players at the club. In the draft testing for his year he beat guys like Jetta and Rohan in the 20m sprint and was highly placed in the beep test. He certainly would have guys like Grundy and Laidler covered for pace.

Yep, Reid is pretty quick, a reason I would like to him play on the wing and through the midfield (not that his bulk is needed there right now). Kind of like Blicavs?

ScottH
4th April 2016, 10:18 AM
That kick by Hewett (or was it Robinson) late in the last where he kicked the ground was the sign of a very tired person.

I think Papley was definitely suffering from cramp in the last.

Pretty sure it was Hewett.
He at least chased down the player and forced a turn over.
There was another one, not quite as bad coming into the forward line.

Papley was hobbling for quite a while in the last qtr.
Was even hunched over with the ball coming towards him only metres away.
I think some of the young boys may be getting a rest sooner, rather than later.

AnnieH
4th April 2016, 10:26 AM
Laidler should do every single kick in... no exceptions.

Whew... just won that one.
Bulldogs are still ahead of us on percentage.

They need to bring an A+ game next week if they want to beat GWS.

bloodbloods
4th April 2016, 10:31 AM

I agree Reid has some speed.

In regards to team selection i think its like for like, a loose policy I think selectors have used in the past when we are doing ok. Mcglinn should get a go for Robinson I think as Papley might also be the like there but is playing too well. Reid's a few weeks off and well see what happens but i think Towers is the like there. McV for Mills or Hewitt but I think we will persist with Mills as he is developing in that half back position which looks as if hes been granted some responsibility there to develop the role (Id say Jones is also being granted this in the same way but more as a speedier half back) and not sure we can say the same about Hewitt. Maybe a little too far off to speculate on Rohan at this stage.

barry
4th April 2016, 10:55 AM
GWS looked very very tired in the 4th quarter against Geelong. They either dont have the required fitness or arent pacing themselves for the whole game.

I suspect they are going too hard too early., and therefore we need to lock them down early, then overrun them later.

Swansongster
4th April 2016, 11:10 AM
A few obs from the grandstand.
* The Budster should have kicked 8-10 goals yesterday (and I suspect he will one game soon). A bit of Budder fingers seemed to be occurring. He juggled a few and defenders were able to interfere with his second grabs at the ball.
* Great to have our ruling rooster strut about. It takes attention off very good second fiddles, Tippo and Sinclair.
* As much as I loved him, WCE can have Jetts. We got Sinclair. Good trade.
* Love Tom Papley (and Mills, Hewett)
* With consistency, Harry is clearly in our best 22 for mine. Need to use his pace more - there was one sitch where everyone had pushed forward to Carlton's goal and Sydney's forward was empty. Someone kicked to space for Harry and he ran straight past Carlton defenders to regather. A bad bounce beat him, I think.
* Umps gave us the raw prawn.
* Hope Buddy does not become the replacement target of bogan racism and booing. Carlton fans gave it to him big time all day.
* Disposal is definitely better this year by hand and foot but there is still a too many fluffs, shanks and brain farts.
* Do opposition coaches think Sydney are susceptible to physical intimidation after the 2014 GF? Seems to be a pattern of teams trying to disrupt us with cheap shots.

Really enjoyed taking the family out to the footy again yesterday after the bitterness of last year where we didn't enjoy a single game in Melbourne (except maybe beating Hawthorn - but even that had a horrible experience with dickhead Hawks fans booing and making monkey noises at the great man).

dejavoodoo44
4th April 2016, 11:24 AM

With Papley hobbled over in the last quarter, that was after he got a poke/whack in the eye. No free kick. Not long after Boekhorst's blatant staging. Grrrrr!
However, I was wondering if Heeney was injured in the last quarter, as he seemed to be getting some sort of attention on the sidelines?

WauchopeAnalyst
4th April 2016, 11:48 AM

Got poked in the eye[emoji15]

baskin
4th April 2016, 12:14 PM
GWS looked very very tired in the 4th quarter against Geelong. They either dont have the required fitness or arent pacing themselves for the whole game.

I suspect they are going too hard too early., and therefore we need to lock them down early, then overrun them later.

I was looking at the interchange stats for all of the games. The GWS/Geelong game was the only one where less than 90 rotations were used. All the others were over 90 and some over 100. Not sure how the system works but it could explain the tiredness.

Triple B
4th April 2016, 12:15 PM
With Papley hobbled over in the last quarter, that was after he got a poke/whack in the eye. No free kick. Not long after Boekhorst's blatant staging. Grrrrr!

It was incidental contact, just bad luck and no free kick was warranted.

ugg
4th April 2016, 12:32 PM
I was looking at the interchange stats for all of the games. The GWS/Geelong game was the only one where less than 90 rotations were used. All the others were over 90 and some over 100. Not sure how the system works but it could explain the tiredness.
The limit is 90 and the Crows were the only team to hit 90 for the weekend. GWS had 81 and Geelong had 72.

MattW
4th April 2016, 12:39 PM
A few obs from the grandstand.
* The Budster should have kicked 8-10 goals yesterday (and I suspect he will one game soon). A bit of Budder fingers seemed to be occurring. He juggled a few and defenders were able to interfere with his second grabs at the ball.
* Great to have our ruling rooster strut about. It takes attention off very good second fiddles, Tippo and Sinclair.
* As much as I loved him, WCE can have Jetts. We got Sinclair. Good trade.
* Love Tom Papley (and Mills, Hewett)
* With consistency, Harry is clearly in our best 22 for mine. Need to use his pace more - there was one sitch where everyone had pushed forward to Carlton's goal and Sydney's forward was empty. Someone kicked to space for Harry and he ran straight past Carlton defenders to regather. A bad bounce beat him, I think.
* Umps gave us the raw prawn.
* Hope Buddy does not become the replacement target of bogan racism and booing. Carlton fans gave it to him big time all day.
* Disposal is definitely better this year by hand and foot but there is still a too many fluffs, shanks and brain farts.
* Do opposition coaches think Sydney are susceptible to physical intimidation after the 2014 GF? Seems to be a pattern of teams trying to disrupt us with cheap shots.

Really enjoyed taking the family out to the footy again yesterday after the bitterness of last year where we didn't enjoy a single game in Melbourne (except maybe beating Hawthorn - but even that had a horrible experience with dickhead Hawks fans booing and making monkey noises at the great man).

I was sitting above the Collingwood fans last weekend and they were also booing Buddy, and it also occurred to me their previous harassment of Goodes had been transferred.

I also think Buddy is still searching for a little touch. Got himself into the game yesterday with some spirited chases and goals after 50m penalties.

Untamed Snark
4th April 2016, 12:59 PM
I was sitting above the Collingwood fans last weekend and they were also booing Buddy, and it also occurred to me their previous harassment of Goodes had been transferred.

I also think Buddy is still searching for a little touch. Got himself into the game yesterday with some spirited chases and goals after 50m penalties.

You could hear them booing on the TV as he went for goal, were they booing him at other times too?

Mountain Man
4th April 2016, 01:01 PM
Looking at Time on Ground, only Heath Grundy did the 100%. (Franklin 93% and Nick Smith 90%)

The lowest was Hewitt at 70%.

All others were in the 70+ to 89- range.

It must be a wonderful help to the coaches to trust all players to do their job throughout a game and manage fatigue.

I see on AFL site that Eade is predicting that players will need more resting this year with the lower rotations - he says after 6 games the younger players will need time out.

dimelb
4th April 2016, 02:12 PM

I think the booing of Buddy only really got going after the half-time melee which started when Buddy hung on to a Carlton player after the siren went.

ScottH
4th April 2016, 02:27 PM
However, I was wondering if Heeney was injured in the last quarter, as he seemed to be getting some sort of attention on the sidelines?

Got poked in the eye[emoji15]

Ahh, I didn't know that. We were at the other end.

And Yes, Heeney was hobbling late in the game too.

ScottH
4th April 2016, 02:28 PM

I think the booing of Buddy only really got going after the half-time melee which started when Buddy hung on to a Carlton player after the siren went.

Agree.
There was nothing before that except the usual one eyed support.

baskin
4th April 2016, 02:43 PM
The limit is 90 and the Crows were the only team to hit 90 for the weekend. GWS had 81 and Geelong had 72.

I know the limit is meant to be 90 but these are the stats from The Age for seven of the games:
Melb 97 - Essendon 102, Adelaide 103 - Port 98, Brisbane 98- North 96, Collingwood 97 - Richmond 91, GWS 88 - Geelong 82, Hawthorn 102 - West Coast 92, Sydney 94 - Carlton 100

Perhaps there are some interchanges which don't count (quarter time breaks??).

I checked the interchange numbers after our pre-season games and I think they were all close to 90.

barry
4th April 2016, 02:50 PM

I felt a tingle of exasperation with the booing of Buddy, and it was definitely caused by the late tacked after the siren..... but has the potential to turn into a Goodes like situation easily. I'd say it could go either way, especially if Buddy called out someone on it.

i fear the worst.

Meg
4th April 2016, 02:55 PM
I know the limit is meant to be 90 but these are the stats from The Age for seven of the games:
Melb 97 - Essendon 102, Adelaide 103 - Port 98, Brisbane 98- North 96, Collingwood 97 - Richmond 91, GWS 88 - Geelong 82, Hawthorn 102 - West Coast 92, Sydney 94 - Carlton 100

I checked the interchange numbers after our pre-season games and I think they were all close to 90.

Yes, the break changes don't count (wording from original AFL announcement below). So I think that makes the effective cap 102 (90 + 3x4) - which I see is the maximum for some teams that you have quoted from The Age.

"THE SUBSTITUTE will be removed and the interchange cap reduced from 120 to 90 rotations per game in 2016 under changes announced to clubs on Thursday."

"The game will return to four interchange players with clubs allowed to also make changes at quarter breaks."

Sub rule abolished, interchange cap reduced - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-03/sub-rule-abolished-interchange-cap-reduced)

Meg
4th April 2016, 02:57 PM
Actually re-reading I see your numbers had 103 for Adelaide. Don't know how they managed that!

Mug Punter
4th April 2016, 02:59 PM
I felt a tingle of exasperation with the booing of Buddy, and it was definitely caused by the late tacked after the siren..... but has the potential to turn into a Goodes like situation easily. I'd say it could go either way, especially if Buddy called out someone on it.

i fear the worst.

I wouldn't think this is something that will escalate, Buddy is one of those players that pushes a few boundaries and there was clearly an incident that sparked it.

It would be interesting what would happen though if Buddy called someone out in the crowd as Goodes did. I would hope that every player in the AFL will now call out such behaviour if they knew exactly who racially abused them. It will be an interesting litmus test, Goodes was already outspoken (and rightly so) and an easy target but it will be interesting if an indigenous player who fits the quiet sterotype was to call out such behaviour.

Mug Punter
4th April 2016, 03:05 PM
Looking at our list we will have an additional 7 players by finals next year moving into that crucial 50 - 100 games bracket.

I expect we'll only have one net our with Ben and Ted retiring this year with us recruiting an experienced replacement for Ted.

I know flags aren't one on stats alone but the list development project built around Buddy will really come to play in 2017

Meg
4th April 2016, 03:05 PM
I agree the Buddy booing started after Buddy kept on with his tackle of Tuohy after the half-time siren had sounded. But it was a pretty innocuous tackle no different than all players do when they tackle an opposing player over the boundary line (which I think is unnecessary but it seems to be accepted by all). Buddy certainly did NOT throw Tuohy into the behind post as one report has stated.

And Tuohy's retaliatory thump on Buddy's back was potentially worse as Buddy did not see it coming. The resulting melee might lead to some fines from the MRP.

CureTheSane
4th April 2016, 03:26 PM
Actually re-reading I see your numbers had 103 for Adelaide. Don't know how they managed that!

Blood Rule?
Stretcher?
Not sure if there are exemptions, but you'd think the blood rule wouldn't count as usually the player doesn't want off, and neither does the coaching staff, but the umpires do.

4th April 2016, 03:37 PM
I think Papley had corkie in thigh or hip. He was doing a range of stretches under the watchful eye of Buddy just before start of last qtr. the subsequent poke in the eye didn't help in the last qtr

WauchopeAnalyst
4th April 2016, 03:43 PM

Good call. Managing players during/after 1/4 and 3/4 breaks is good management. I/C does not count during/after breaks.

Maybe every break Swans should give 4 players longer breaks[emoji3] .

WauchopeAnalyst
4th April 2016, 03:49 PM
Magic. You only have 4 interchange players to change. Maybe TRIGG has called tge AFC and told them how to count, but don't tell the AFL.????

Meg
4th April 2016, 04:11 PM
Magic. You only have 4 interchange players to change. Maybe TRIGG has called tge AFC and told them how to count, but don't tell the AFL.[emoji6]

Same official who was counting that match when Roos was the coach and we had a 50-metre penalty awarded against us for having one too many on the field - despite the fact there were four players sitting on the bench!

dejavoodoo44
4th April 2016, 04:46 PM
After yet another loss to the Swans, the Carlton management team gave a concise PowerPoint presentation, that clearly demonstrated, how their four number one picks had once again made them an AFL powerhouse.

(Sorry, Scott, I just couldn't resist).

Meg
4th April 2016, 06:06 PM
Franklin, Parker and Hannebery all fined for the melee at the half-time break but only Tuohy and Rowe from Carlton. H'mmm!

Some of the Swans' cheer squad should donate to help pay for the Swans' fines. If you watch the video the front row is cheering and applauding as the wrestling goes on right in front of them!

Nico
4th April 2016, 07:16 PM
The free kick stats at half time were 16 to 9 in our favour. Carlton got a run of frees in the 3rd quarter. Final count; 23 each. Watching on TV it was only that time in the 3rd Q one could say we "was robbed".

ScottH
4th April 2016, 08:56 PM
After yet another loss to the Swans, the Carlton management team gave a concise PowerPoint presentation, that clearly demonstrated, how their four number one picks had once again made them an AFL powerhouse.

(Sorry, Scott, I just couldn't resist).

Cheeky!!!

Danzar
4th April 2016, 09:08 PM
Cheeky!!!

Funny!

Beerman
4th April 2016, 09:15 PM
I agree the Buddy booing started after Buddy kept on with his tackle of Tuohy after the half-time siren had sounded.

I thought it was after he got the 50m penalty and easy goal. It�s really frustrating as a fan when your defender is penalised like that, but honestly, he was no-where near the contest and it�s a 50 every day of the week. I doubt it will go on next week.

I thought our kids struggled with their skills a bit tonight. Papley was in everything in the first quarter, but just couldn't seem to execute effectively. He played himself into it though which was great to see. Heeney & Mills also quite a few errors, although Robbo was much improved. Their consistency will come with time and experience.

I was really impressed with how Mitchell�s kicking has improved. He seemed to be finding targets by foot with skill.

Zak Jones must be persevered with. He does much more good than harm and the alternative is Rampe running the ball out of defence so�pick your poison!

giant
4th April 2016, 10:47 PM
A lot has been made about the debutants from last week - Hewett, Mills and Papley - and rightly so as they've deserved the plaudits going their way (In particular, Papley was again excellent today). However I was also just as impressed by some of the experienced but lower stature players from the past few years - Lloyd last week and Cunningham this week - who before the season began I felt would have to improve if the team was going to replace the loss of the experienced Goodes, Shaw and Pyke.

Cunningham's left foot pass on the run to a leading forward, was as Bruce McAvaney would say, simply delicious.

Cunningham was exceptional early and that pass...well, who knew?

giant
4th April 2016, 10:51 PM

Both those teams looked absolutely shattered. The Suns/Dockers game too. Everyone is patting themselves on the back for the interchange limitations, but it's a bit awkward watching two teams out on their feet for the last 10 mins.

Primmy
5th April 2016, 10:30 AM
Franklin, Parker and Hannebery all fined for the melee at the half-time break but only Tuohy and Rowe from Carlton. H'mmm!

Some of the Swans' cheer squad should donate to help pay for the Swans' fines. If you watch the video the front row is cheering and applauding as the wrestling goes on right in front of them!
How Jones missed out on the sanctions I don't know. Fiesty little bugger.

Levii3
5th April 2016, 02:12 PM
Mitchell played a good game 9 votes in the coaches this week with Parks, Parker and Mitchell leading coaches award early with 19 and 15 votes

was i the only one that was relieved that Collingwood didn't have any first round picks next year so they couldn't make a play for Mitchell

Doctor J.
5th April 2016, 02:27 PM
Mitchell played a good game 9 votes in the coaches this week with Parks, Parker and Mitchell leading coaches award early with 19 and 15 votes

was i the only one that was relieved that Collingwood didn't have any first round picks next year so they couldn't make a play for Mitchell

Probably not, but Mitch isn't going anywhere, if he is its for a massive contract, that someone like the Pies wont be able to pay.

Saw an article about Peter Daicos' son, may be a possible FS selection for the Pies. This along with Gavin Browns son in the same draft.

How good would it be if these kids develop to be genuine talent, other clubs pick them up, then Collingwood having used all their petrol tickets to get Treloar and Aish, have no selections to match another clubs bid with. Please God, or whoever/whatever it is that makes this stuff happen, make this happen.

Mug Punter
5th April 2016, 02:33 PM

Carlton will be the smokey with Mitchell.

He is the only required player coming off contract if we ignore Jack who I am sure will re-sign.

With the new TV deal coming in I'd be pretty confident we will be able to come up with a very competitive offer for him and I doubt he'd really want to leave, because I think Sydney is a great environment to play footy, but I suspect if a club like Carlton really wanted him the could make a serious offer that blew us out of the water. Ultimately it's what motivates Tom and how much he loves living in Sydney.

IF the unthinkable happened we'd have some pretty serious cards at the trade table. I'd think a possible scenario could be for Tom to re-sign until he hits 8 years and becomes a restricted free agent - if we won a flag in that time he'd probably be tempted by a massive pay day and he'd go with my blessings as I don't begrudge any of these young kids the chance to set themselves up financially

Mug Punter
5th April 2016, 02:42 PM
Probably not, but Mitch isn't going anywhere, if he is its for a massive contract, that someone like the Pies wont be able to pay.

Saw an article about Peter Daicos' son, may be a possible FS selection for the Pies. This along with Gavin Browns son in the same draft.

How good would it be if these kids develop to be genuine talent, other clubs pick them up, then Collingwood having used all their petrol tickets to get Treloar and Aish, have no selections to match another clubs bid with. Please God, or whoever/whatever it is that makes this stuff happen, make this happen.

It would be ideal but alas I cannot see it happening - the penalties re the Academy and F/S Bidding really only affect elite talent as in to9 5. Even if they both went top 10 then they could probably manage to get them but they would be going into deep deficit the following year and that is not good.

Eddie has a lot of power and people fear him so they's be fearful. It's like the farcical way that young Silvagni went through the rounds.

Mel_C
5th April 2016, 03:49 PM
I didn't notice live at the game until I watched the replay how ridiculous the "high" free paid against Rampe in the last quarter to number 12 for Carlton was (sorry can't remember his name). That is the worst display of staging I have seen in awhile...Rampe's arm was across the player's chest! Can you imagine if that was Goodes or Lindsay Thomas? They would have copped so much @@@@ for that.

I thought that players could receive a fine for staging...has this changed? Also is it possible for another umpire to overrule such an erroneous decision?

On another topic does anyone who our runner is now? I didn't recognise him on Sunday. All I know is that I don't notice him on the ground as much as I did Davis ????.

CureTheSane
5th April 2016, 04:33 PM
I didn't think he was staging.
More like reacting to the imminent whack to the face that never eventuated.

Dosser
5th April 2016, 05:26 PM
I didn't notice live at the game until I watched the replay how ridiculous the "high" free paid against Rampe in the last quarter to number 12 for Carlton was (sorry can't remember his name). That is the worst display of staging I have seen in awhile...Rampe's arm was across the player's chest! Can you imagine if that was Goodes or Lindsay Thomas? They would have copped so much @@@@ for that.

I thought that players could receive a fine for staging...has this changed? Also is it possible for another umpire to overrule such an erroneous decision?

On another topic does anyone who our runner is now? I didn't recognise him on Sunday. All I know is that I don't notice him on the ground as much as I did Davis ??.

That was Bloekhorst(sp?). I thought they did a few of those things - including when Curnow grabbed Sinclair's arm and held it over his shoulder for a free. I have to give them points for trying...

aguy
5th April 2016, 05:35 PM
That was Bloekhorst(sp?). I thought they did a few of those things - including when Curnow grabbed Sinclair's arm and held it over his shoulder for a free. I have to give them points for trying...

I noticed that too. As soon as a Carlton player was tackled across the front of their chest the Carlton player would lift their arms up to push the swans players arm up to the neck area. Very clearly coached to do that.

Beerman
6th April 2016, 06:20 AM

Mark Robinson has an article on this in today's herald-sun. The title is "Blaine Boekhorst was caught staging and the AFL must act" (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/blaine-boekhorst-was-caught-staging-and-the-afl-must-act-writes-mark-robinson/news-story/a699846a039271e4743363c7ea314daf).

How good would it be if these kids develop to be genuine talent, other clubs pick them up, then Collingwood having used all their petrol tickets to get Treloar and Aish, have no selections to match another clubs bid with.

As much as I hate the pies and Eddie McGuire in particular, it's hard to wish anything bad to Peter Daicos' son. He seems like a nice person and was a great player to watch. A similar thing goes for Shane Wakelin - I have a lot of respect for him. I *want* to hate everything Collingwood-related, but (un?)fortunately the world isn't that simple.

jono2707
7th April 2016, 01:11 PM
I was getting pretty annoyed that Eddie was ok at calling this game. He did that to annoy the Swans I am sure.

I missed the game on the weekend but IQ'd it - I too have been struck by how reasonably well Eddie has commentated this game. Normally he makes my skin crawl but he did a pretty good job.

crackedactor
7th April 2016, 02:03 PM
I think they were coached to stage for frees despite what Brendan Bolton said in the press. I was sitting in the forward pocket and twice I noticed a carlton player diving to the ground (Face first) waiting for an impeding tackle that never happened from an approaching Swans player. May them look a bit silly and thank god the umps did not fall for it. I am glad that the Herald sun ran an article regarding the Boakhurst staged free kick.

Levii3
7th April 2016, 04:34 PM
Excelent article in The Age by Rohan Connolly today on our list compared to carltons Unseasoned Sydney Swans making the AFL critics look silly (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/unseasoned-sydney-swans-making-the-afl-critics-look-silly-20160407-go0m8h.html)

Pmcc2911
7th April 2016, 06:16 PM
This article underscores how most of the Melbourne media simply doesn't do their research, Rohan excepted.

7th April 2016, 11:19 PM
This article underscores how most of the Melbourne media simply doesn't do their research, Rohan excepted.

and to be honest, many readers here !

mcs
8th April 2016, 10:39 AM
I missed the game on the weekend but IQ'd it - I too have been struck by how reasonably well Eddie has commentated this game. Normally he makes my skin crawl but he did a pretty good job.

The problem for Eddie was he didn't know who to hate more when commentating..:rofl

mcs
8th April 2016, 11:00 AM
Excelent article in The Age by Rohan Connolly today on our list compared to carltons Unseasoned Sydney Swans making the AFL critics look silly (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/unseasoned-sydney-swans-making-the-afl-critics-look-silly-20160407-go0m8h.html)

The stat that has to get one excited from that article is:

The numbers suggested a different story, however. Not only was last Sunday's 22 the equal fifth-youngest team Sydney had put on the park since 1999, it was a line-up actually younger across the board than Carlton's, the Swans still coming in under a 25-year-old average, the Blues a touch over.

:)

tasswan
8th April 2016, 11:05 AM

I was pleasantly surprised too. I thought he was the best commentator on the night, and Im not a fan at all of him.

Auntie.Gerald
8th April 2016, 04:06 PM
No weak links. Good signs

to be honest i thought Mills and Jones struggled a little in their decision making but there was very good pressure by Carlton and it wasn't a soft touch game

Great to see Ted straight back into it !

Lastly i thought our back line transitions were very different to the structures we used the previous week.........Getting out of your own half against the best teams needs a plan A, B and C and it was interesting to see Sydney putting pressure on different players to make it count out of the backs

ie Llloyd dominated the week prior and was given the loose role but this week he appeared to be given a run with type role for large mins