PDA

View Full Version : Peter Schwab - Great Ploy

Swansinger
11th April 2004, 05:52 PM
Is Schwab a genius , having today lulled the other 15 teams into a false sense of security ?

Or is the reassessment due after just three rounds , not eight ?

"Hawthorn coach Peter Schwab has explained his bold remarks at a club function on Wednesday night, during which he said the Hawks would win the 2004 premiership.

Schwab said his club, which finished ninth last year, was unashamed about setting such lofty ambitions.

?Right at the moment, with where we?re at, we?re more than capable (of winning the premiership)?..On our day I think we can beat anyone.?

?The point I was making last night is that you may as well set your standards high. There?s no point going into a season saying we?re going to finish ninth or 10th,? he said at Glenferrie Oval on Thursday morning.

?We?re not down the bottom, we?re not in a re-building phase. We?re in a phase where we?ve added to the list because we?re serious about making a challenge.?

Schwab denied he had created a millstone for his players or unnecessary pressure, saying the worst thing that could happen was that he was simply proved wrong.

?We?re saying we want to be in the competition to win it. That?s what we?re saying. I might have to reassess that after eight rounds, or after ten. Fine. If I have to, I have to. Right at the moment we want to play in this competition to try and win it.?

liz
11th April 2004, 10:57 PM
After 4.75 games a year ago the Swans were getting worse by the minute and we were starting to ask who the top draft picks were likely to be. Five months later were were one quarter away from a GF berth. Port made the Hawks look decidedly ordinary today but winning in September is what counts, not April.

That said, I don't rate the Hawks...

Swansinger
12th April 2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by lizz
Port made the Hawks look decidedly ordinary today but winning in September is what counts, not April.

OK , guess we can at least scratch Port then !

TheHood
13th April 2004, 11:18 AM
IMO the Hawks play the least accountable brand of footy I have ever seen.

It can be free wheeling at times and enjoyable to watch if the opposition aren't up to it, can also be successful.

Should they lose a few players to suspension this week and a few more injuries do not go their way, I expect they will miss the 8 and Schwab will have coached his last game at AFL level.