PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Vs 2016

dejavoodoo44
7th June 2016, 06:49 PM
Since it is the midpoint of the season, I thought that it would be a good idea to have a look in the AFL Record Season Guide, to see how we were travelling compared to last year. That is, how far down were we last year, on this year's second placing and nine wins? And how did the teams up at the top of the table end up faring at the end of the year?
To my surprise, the team in second place with nine wins and two losses, was the Sydney Swans?? Which just doesn't really tally with my recall of last year. I mean, there just seems to be much more optimism about our chances, compared to this time last year: even though points wise, we're in exactly the same position. And I'm sure if I was to go back to the views being expressed on this forum a year ago, there would be a lot more negativity. So I was just wondering what the reasons for this would be?
Firstly, I think that there was with most people, a different perception of where the team was at coming into the respective seasons. In regard to 2015, I think that since we were favourites for the 2014 Grand Final, there was probably a feeling that we just had one bad game and that we were still right at the top of the tree. Also, it was probably assumed that any problems, such as skill levels, would have been fixed during the off-season. So when we were winning, but often not really winning well, this sparked a bit of negative feeling. In contrast, coming into this season, there was probably a feeling that we were on the slide and weren't going to be genuine premiership contenders. So this meant that our winning form has been a pleasant surprise.
And speaking of winning form, one reason that we are winning, is the contribution of our younger players. This also generates more optimism in comparison to 2015. This year, we have had six debutants, most of whom have looked like they belong in the top grade. At the halfway stage last year, we had two debutants: Heeney, who had already been sidelined with a knee injury, and Robinson, who looked serviceable, rather than exciting. Also, we had a few younger players who had previously debuted and we were hoping would step up. However, this wasn't really happening: Jones and Brandon Jack were running around in the NEAFL, Towers was getting a game, but looking ordinary, and Tom Mitchell was only just being selected again. In the first half of this year, Heeney and Mitchell have been starring, while Jones and Robinson have played their roles well.
In both structure and game style, there has probably been more cause for optimism this year. In regards to structure, last year we had Franklin, Goodes, Reid and Tippett/Pyke all playing up forward, which probably meant we were a bit top heavy and we weren't quite able to put on enough forward pressure. This year's forward line of Franklin, Heeney, Rohan, McGlynn/Papley, resting midfielder and resting ruckman, seems to be more balanced, more exciting and more capable of interfering with the opposition's rebound.
The ruck position is another area where there is more cause for optimism. This time last year, it was starting to become obvious that Pyke was carrying a chronic injury and wouldn't quite be the player that he was in previous years. While Tippett was starting to throw his weight around in the centre, he wasn't the top flight ruckman that he is this year.
In regards to the defence, while we have always been able to defend well, this year, we have seemed more assured bringing the ball out, with less of those infuriating and costly turnovers. Which brings me to game style. So far this year, we seem less likely to indulge in handball after handball, and more likely to kick the ball quickly to an attacking option. Which I think also leads to less turnovers and a more attractive brand of football.
Also, of course, this year we aren't dealing with Goodes booing controversy. But I don't really want to go over that again.
Anyway, what do other people think?

PS The team that was on top after round 11, 2015, was Fremantle with a 10 and 1 record. WTF has happened there!? And even though it seems that Hawthorn has slipped a bit this year, last year they were 6/4 (with a bye), compared to 8/3 this year.

7th June 2016, 07:01 PM
Some excellent observations. I would suggest the key differences are:
- speed from the clearances. We don't tend to over use the ball this yr
- our kicking skills do seem to have improved
- the defensive skills of our midfield in terms of being able to help out the defenders
- our young guys have brought enthusiasm and pace to the team
- Tippo and Buddy have both been exceptional

- - - Updated - - -

Also I wouldn't underestimate the Hawks - hodge is still to return and they are a much better side when he plays

Melbourne_Blood
7th June 2016, 08:53 PM
I think the main one is the lowered expectations coming in. I've said it before but it makes footy so much more enjoyable for me when less is expected and the team surprise us. Going into a season as premiership favourites is horrible. Every game that we don't play very good football , regardless of the result, is frustrating. I've loved this year so far, although expectation is building outside our club, we all know we are a side regenerating to an extent. We are in a good Position, but I don't expect us to win a flag this year, and if we do it will be an amazing bonus, rather than the only acceptable result.

dejavoodoo44
7th June 2016, 09:17 PM
Some excellent observations. I would suggest the key differences are:
- speed from the clearances. We don't tend to over use the ball this yr
- our kicking skills do seem to have improved
- the defensive skills of our midfield in terms of being able to help out the defenders
- our young guys have brought enthusiasm and pace to the team
- Tippo and Buddy have both been exceptional

- - - Updated - - -

Also I wouldn't underestimate the Hawks - hodge is still to return and they are a much better side when he plays

Yes, the speed away from the clearances has been very handy at times. In regards to this, Kieren Jack has somehow seemed to have gained extra pace and agility this year and is giving us some more drive. Hannebery has been superb. Hewett seems to find space in tight corners, and Lloyd has been tireless in getting to contest after contest, to continually provide an outside option.

dejavoodoo44
7th June 2016, 09:22 PM
I think the main one is the lowered expectations coming in. I've said it before but it makes footy so much more enjoyable for me when less is expected and the team surprise us. Going into a season as premiership favourites is horrible. Every game that we don't play very good football , regardless of the result, is frustrating. I've loved this year so far, although expectation is building outside our club, we all know we are a side regenerating to an extent. We are in a good Position, but I don't expect us to win a flag this year, and if we do it will be an amazing bonus, rather than the only acceptable result.

Yes, perception does have a lot to do with it...though I am starting to get just a bit optimistic about our chances this year. And speaking of bonuses: I bonded with the Swans during the dark days of the early nineties, so getting two premierships in my lifetime, is actually two more than I was really expecting.

Melbourne_Blood
7th June 2016, 10:31 PM
Yes, perception does have a lot to do with it...though I am starting to get just a bit optimistic about our chances this year. And speaking of bonuses: I bonded with the Swans during the dark days of the early nineties, so getting two premierships in my lifetime, is actually two more than I was really expecting.

As did I, was born in 88 and my first memories of watching the swans were of consistent 100 points drubbings. And both premierships are bonuses to me too ( my friends consist of saints, Dee's, Tigers and dogs supporters, lucky much ?) . And I never expect a premiership , but when everyone else does, and your team are in a seemingly great position to win one, it makes every game tough. This year not so much, which would make a flag that much sweeter. Long way to go, but our boys are a joy to watch this year and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season to come!

dimelb
7th June 2016, 11:19 PM
Really interesting thoughts dejavoodoo44. My expectations were lower this year than last year, so as you say, this year I expected less and have had a pleasant surprise.

I think the biggest factors in the change have been (not in any particular order): Tippett's maturity in the ruck added to his formidable contribution as a forward marking target, the more measured efforts of Heeney who is less crazy brave and an even better reader of the game, the new maturity of Dan Robinson and especially Jake Lloyd who pops up everywhere like a younger McVeigh, the startlingly mature contributions of Mills, Hewett and Papley, Rampe's rise to a new level, Reg's next step up to domination, the return of Rohan (sounds like something out of Tolkien, and just as spectacular), a next step or two up by Mitchell, the continued rise of one of the competition's very best in Hannebery, and last but not least the new found confidence and flexibility of Longmire who in my mind is currently the best coach in the business not only for his match day efforts but his connection with the players, especially Lance.

I know I haven't mentioned some stars here, but they have performed at their expected high level as they did last year, except that most of them are not currently on the injury list, which is very helpful. We are a real chance, and now I am nervous in a way I wasn't last year!

Mug Punter
8th June 2016, 12:20 AM
I was pessimistic going into the season but I did have a caveat that is the following happened that we could still be a contender

* Buddy to come back well, Tippett to be All Australian and for them to kick 100 goals between them - pretty ambitious targets but they are exceeding them to date
* Continued improvement from our young guns and mid to bottom list players - Towers was one I had high hopes for and he has disappointed to date but that has been more than offset by Mills and Hewett's debuts, Heeney's continued development along with Rampe, Laidler and Lloyd really stepping up
* A wildcard - Papley fits that bills for ne you could include Hewett there too
* A good run with injuries, touch wood all good there

But most of all I'm just so glad to be enjoying my footy again after the ugliness of last year

Mug Punter
8th June 2016, 12:24 AM
As did I, was born in 88 and my first memories of watching the swans were of consistent 100 points drubbings. And both premierships are bonuses to me too ( my friends consist of saints, Dee's, Tigers and dogs supporters, lucky much ?) . And I never expect a premiership , but when everyone else does, and your team are in a seemingly great position to win one, it makes every game tough. This year not so much, which would make a flag that much sweeter. Long way to go, but our boys are a joy to watch this year and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season to come!

Really? you were 8 when we made a Grand Final (1996) and we've missed one finals series since then. Unless you have exceptional memory recall you are being a bit over-dramatic. As a four year old those tough times must have had a clearly profound effect on your impressionable young mind....

Next you'll be reminiscing about when you watched us play in front of 3,000 people at the SCG on the 90s (we never got that low) and had a whole bay at the SCG to yourself:)

dejavoodoo44
8th June 2016, 08:00 AM
Really interesting thoughts dejavoodoo44. My expectations were lower this year than last year, so as you say, this year I expected less and have had a pleasant surprise.

I think the biggest factors in the change have been (not in any particular order): Tippett's maturity in the ruck added to his formidable contribution as a forward marking target, the more measured efforts of Heeney who is less crazy brave and an even better reader of the game, the new maturity of Dan Robinson and especially Jake Lloyd who pops up everywhere like a younger McVeigh, the startlingly mature contributions of Mills, Hewett and Papley, Rampe's rise to a new level, Reg's next step up to domination, the return of Rohan (sounds like something out of Tolkien, and just as spectacular), a next step or two up by Mitchell, the continued rise of one of the competition's very best in Hannebery, and last but not least the new found confidence and flexibility of Longmire who in my mind is currently the best coach in the business not only for his match day efforts but his connection with the players, especially Lance.

I know I haven't mentioned some stars here, but they have performed at their expected high level as they did last year, except that most of them are not currently on the injury list, which is very helpful. We are a real chance, and now I am nervous in a way I wasn't last year!
Yes, The Return of Rohan: the long awaited sequel to The Domination of the Reg.

neilfws
8th June 2016, 09:14 AM
But most of all I'm just so glad to be enjoying my footy again after the ugliness of last year

That's the difference for me too. I was looking over stats, when were we last 9/2 at half way - oh look, just last year - and it didn't tally with my perception of last season. For me, it began tainted with the 2014 GF experience and ended with the bad, ugly events (Goodes, Walsh) which have been much discussed already, plus the general sense of a dull and low-quality season overall.

This year has been great so far, let's hope the back half brings more of the same.

Go Swannies
8th June 2016, 10:29 AM
I just saw the Kangaroos game and what stood out for me was the genuine joyfulness of Buddy after each goal. He always celebrates but his smile this time was of a happy man having a ball. Bodes well.

Also, there's a time in each Premiership year (2005 and 2012) when the team begins to click - and theyinstinctively know where each other is. That seems to be happening. We need to reduce mistakes but the teamwork has risen greatly.

Last year was post GF 2014 disaster and turned into Goodes 2015 disaster. I'm rather surprised that I hung around but I'm glad I did as footy is fun this year. Maybe that's just lowered expectations but I think it's a lot to do with watching the kids develop. Will they get tired as the season goes on? Who knows but it's fun right now. Funny how we have a young team but seem to bully other teams with our maturity.

Doctor
8th June 2016, 11:01 AM

I actually had pretty high hopes going into this year. I don't think any of us really know just how much impact the ugly goings on of last year affected the team, and the late season injuries and illnesses only made things worse. We're back to playing with a bit of joie de vivre and it's making the world of difference. Having said that, we've generally done ok with injuries so far this year. Any team is a couple of bad ones away from a shift in expectations.

Doctor J.
8th June 2016, 11:33 AM
That's the difference for me too. I was looking over stats, when were we last 9/2 at half way - oh look, just last year - and it didn't tally with my perception of last season. For me, it began tainted with the 2014 GF experience and ended with the bad, ugly events (Goodes, Walsh) which have been much discussed already, plus the general sense of a dull and low-quality season overall.

This year has been great so far, let's hope the back half brings more of the same.

I think that sums up the Hawthorn three peat era. They are a very dull boring side. With the occasional bit of flair thrown in from Cyril and now Puopolo. The rest of the side is to football what an anorak is to fashion. With Buddys departure at the end of 2013 they are bereft of flair, and their football reflects that.

Unlike the Brisbane era of dominance, they were a great team and an exciting team to watch. Geelong the same from 07-11.

Hawthorn = Boring.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that sums up the Hawthorn three peat era. They are a very dull boring side. With the occasional bit of flair thrown in from Cyril and now Puopolo. The rest of the side is to football what an anorak is to fashion. With Buddys departure at the end of 2013 they are bereft of flair, and their football reflects that.

Unlike the Brisbane era of dominance, they were a great team and an exciting team to watch. Geelong the same from 07-11.

Hawthorn = Boring.

Zlatorog
8th June 2016, 12:19 PM
Really? you were 8 when we made a Grand Final (1996) and we've missed one finals series since then. Unless you have exceptional memory recall you are being a bit over-dramatic. As a four year old those tough times must have had a clearly profound effect on your impressionable young mind....

Next you'll be reminiscing about when you watched us play in front of 3,000 people at the SCG on the 90s (we never got that low) and had a whole bay at the SCG to yourself:)
Hm, we missed 3 finals since 1996: 2000, 2002 and 2009. I still think it's a fantastic achievement for our club.

dimelb
8th June 2016, 12:39 PM
I actually had pretty high hopes going into this year. I don't think any of us really know just how much impact the ugly goings on of last year affected the team, and the late season injuries and illnesses only made things worse. We're back to playing with a bit of joie de vivre and it's making the world of difference. Having said that, we've generally done ok with injuries so far this year. Any team is a couple of bad ones away from a shift in expectations.

You sure that stuff's not on the banned list?

dejavoodoo44
8th June 2016, 01:08 PM
Only in North Korea.

aardvark
8th June 2016, 01:13 PM
I spent most of 2015 recovering from that "day that must not be mentioned". I am enjoying this season however, especially the kids.

Beerman
8th June 2016, 01:57 PM
What was our percentage last year? I think a couple of uncharacteristic big wins early on helped set the tone.

Also, I feel like this year is the first time in years that we've demonstrated that we have a plan to beat the Hawks. Our recent victories have felt very much like flukes that relied on them having key outs. This year is different and it gives me hope.

I am still not overconfident about this year though. The kids will find it tough in finals and a few injuries could weaken us drastically.

Still, so far so good and the future does look bright.

Zlatorog
8th June 2016, 03:30 PM
What was our percentage last year? I think a couple of uncharacteristic big wins early on helped set the tone.

Also, I feel like this year is the first time in years that we've demonstrated that we have a plan to beat the Hawks. Our recent victories have felt very much like flukes that relied on them having key outs. This year is different and it gives me hope.

I am still not overconfident about this year though. The kids will find it tough in finals and a few injuries could weaken us drastically.

Still, so far so good and the future does look bright.
Our percentage was 138.4, which is lower than this year. WC (3rd on the ladder) and Hawthorn (6th) had the highest percentage: over 155. As we know those two teams played in GF later that year.

neilfws
8th June 2016, 03:33 PM

If my quick calculations are right, it's a little more this year than the same point last year: 146.47 versus 138.39. We did start with a couple of big margins.

Mean margin this year is 32.27 points, versus 25.09 for first 11 rounds last year.

penga
8th June 2016, 03:52 PM
For mine, a major influence on the game style has been the exit of Jetta. We would often try to play through him as a playmaker, and required him to put the jets on, but he would often double back and slow the progression up. He became a very lateral player in the last two seasons with the Swans. Lloyd has directly taken his role, and he is playing more run and gun.

Two other things:
- We seem to have really worked on our "handles". We don't need a lace out handball these days, it can be to the toes, but Kennedy (unbelievable in this facet), Mitchell, Parker, and Hannebery seem to be able to snatch it one grab. So instead of giving the opposition the opportunity to close us down, where other teams have a little fumble, the play flows on.
- Breaking tackles to break the lines: that is, we seem to be able to shake off the first tackler a lot more than other teams, and it instantly creates an overlap. With quick ball movement by hand, it creates a free runner, and the forwards have been given excellent service this year as a result of the initial wiggle of the hips.

And thirdly, long down the line is no longer the go-to play.. #thankful

Nico
8th June 2016, 04:17 PM
The differences; less injuries, improvement of less experienced players and young players who have been able to slot straight in.

Industrial Fan
8th June 2016, 05:01 PM
Biggest difference is expectations for mine, followed by not dealing with the booing every week.

Still not expecting us to really challenge at the pointy end, but we've done well so far.

dejavoodoo44
8th June 2016, 05:28 PM
For mine, a major influence on the game style has been the exit of Jetta. We would often try to play through him as a playmaker, and required him to put the jets on, but he would often double back and slow the progression up. He became a very lateral player in the last two seasons with the Swans. Lloyd has directly taken his role, and he is playing more run and gun.

Two other things:
- We seem to have really worked on our "handles". We don't need a lace out handball these days, it can be to the toes, but Kennedy (unbelievable in this facet), Mitchell, Parker, and Hannebery seem to be able to snatch it one grab. So instead of giving the opposition the opportunity to close us down, where other teams have a little fumble, the play flows on.
- Breaking tackles to break the lines: that is, we seem to be able to shake off the first tackler a lot more than other teams, and it instantly creates an overlap. With quick ball movement by hand, it creates a free runner, and the forwards have been given excellent service this year as a result of the initial wiggle of the hips.

And thirdly, long down the line is no longer the go-to play.. #thankful
Possibly a little bit harsh on Jetta? But hey, since he is now an Eagle. And I have been impressed by Lloyd this season and his ability to continually get to the edges of packs.
And good point about the ability of many of our players to break tackles. If the first player misses, then somebody has to leave their man and this creates another immediate option. Possibly a benefit of having a midfield core that are largely in their prime playing years.

8th June 2016, 05:48 PM
Someone mentioned the dark days of the early 90s, I remember going to a Thursday training session at the SCG in about 1993 and I was the ONLY supporter there. Players looked at me as they jogged around the oval as if I was an oddity.

Remember players breaking from training routines to do boxing with some old boxer, Simon Garlick is the player I remember doing it.

Yes, dark days indeed :-( But this year is looking :-) Just need to put away GWS this week.

Doctor
8th June 2016, 09:18 PM

Yep. The banned one is joie de vivre Beta 4.

dawson
8th June 2016, 10:33 PM
As was said booing was hard for the whole team but also:
Jetta and Towers were dead weight
Losing Buddy was enough but then to lose Parker and Jack on top was just too much.

Having said that, still should have beaten Freo but then would have been smashed by Hawthorn.

dejavoodoo44
8th June 2016, 11:02 PM
Yep. The banned one is joie de vivre Beta 4.

A marketing idea for men's fragrances that may not quite work: Joie de Vivre, by Dank.

penga
9th June 2016, 11:44 AM
Possibly a little bit harsh on Jetta? But hey, since he is now an Eagle.

Jetta and Towers were dead weight

Hmm. That is a little harsh on Jetta, but spot on for Towers (yes, apart from that one game). 2012 Jetta was amazing, when he had the bit between his teeth, but he seemed to be going through the motions since that season.

Doctor
9th June 2016, 01:38 PM
A marketing idea for men's fragrances that may not quite work: Joie de Vivre, by Dank.

"Inject yourself with the joy of life!"

dejavoodoo44
9th June 2016, 01:52 PM

"Is banned. Is good."

"Danke, Dr Dank!"

Untamed Snark
9th June 2016, 02:59 PM

"Joie de Vivre, by Dank."
Inject yourself into any situation
or
"Joie de Vivre, by Dank."
Have the Pep to tide you over

DA_Swan
9th June 2016, 03:08 PM
I think a major difference is the overall defensive pressure is greater this year and the players that have come in or have improved their fitness have been able to provide pressure around the ground than those that they have replaced could not sustain for a whole game - hope it stays that way

Crusty
9th June 2016, 03:40 PM
I was pessimistic going into the season but I did have a caveat that is the following happened that we could still be a contender

* Buddy to come back well, Tippett to be All Australian and for them to kick 100 goals between them - pretty ambitious targets but they are exceeding them to date
* Continued improvement from our young guns and mid to bottom list players - Towers was one I had high hopes for and he has disappointed to date but that has been more than offset by Mills and Hewett's debuts, Heeney's continued development along with Rampe, Laidler and Lloyd really stepping up
* A wildcard - Papley fits that bills for ne you could include Hewett there too
* A good run with injuries, touch wood all good there

+1

And I'd add the improvement of Jones

Sandrevan
9th June 2016, 04:00 PM
I see more enthusiasm in the games - right from the start. To me it looks like a big focus on the first quarter to get a good start and make the opposition play catch-up footy. Fremantles plummet from 2015 has been mentioned so what has changed for Freo. Brett Kirk. Can 1 bloke make such a difference to us?

At this time last year I thought we're doing well but it was a struggle. The Goodes booing issue and the injuries towards the end of the season were a real drain on the team. This year I see more energy and less distractions. We have to hope that injuries don't hobble us at the pointy end of the season.

I also think Lewis Jetta's departure has played it's part. Last year we looked to Jetts to provide a spark. He did some good things against the poorer teams but went missing against the stronger teams. I got the impression he checked out half way through last year.

Other positives this year - Hanners is even better than last year (so far) - he's inspirational. The improvement in Mitchell, Rampe, Laidler and Heeny to name a few is noticeable. If we can keep Buddy, Rohan, Heeny and McGlynn (or Papley) fit and firing we have many options for goals.

Of course, we need to take it game at a time but I'm very positive about 2016.

dejavoodoo44
9th June 2016, 04:33 PM
I see more enthusiasm in the games - right from the start. To me it looks like a big focus on the first quarter to get a good start and make the opposition play catch-up footy. Fremantles plummet from 2015 has been mentioned so what has changed for Freo. Brett Kirk. Can 1 bloke make such a difference to us?

At this time last year I thought we're doing well but it was a struggle. The Goodes booing issue and the injuries towards the end of the season were a real drain on the team. This year I see more energy and less distractions. We have to hope that injuries don't hobble us at the pointy end of the season.

I also think Lewis Jetta's departure has played it's part. Last year we looked to Jetts to provide a spark. He did some good things against the poorer teams but went missing against the stronger teams. I got the impression he checked out half way through last year.

Other positives this year - Hanners is even better than last year (so far) - he's inspirational. The improvement in Mitchell, Rampe, Laidler and Heeny to name a few is noticeable. If we can keep Buddy, Rohan, Heeny and McGlynn (or Papley) fit and firing we have many options for goals.

Yes, some good points there. I also have wondered about the Kirk influence. Certainly it does seem that our defensive pressure, especially our forward defensive pressure, has picked up this year. While with Fremantle it has fallen away and now they seem to have a lot of trouble containing sides. Though of course, one big problem for the Dockers, is the loss of Fyfe and Sandilands, as a lot of their drive last year, was supplied by Sandilands tapping it on to the chest of Fyfe.
And Hannebery has been superb this season. He is justifiably leading the AFLCA votes, and if I was a betting man, I'd be backing him to win the Brownlow.

dimelb
9th June 2016, 05:14 PM
I'm not going to quote you all but dejavoodoo44, Doctor and Untamed Snark all got a genuine LOL for Joie de Vivre!

Sandrevan
9th June 2016, 06:20 PM
Dank - banned by the AFL for life. However, he just found a new gig with the Russian Olympic team

bloodsbigot
9th June 2016, 08:33 PM

A very good point.

I liked Lewis Jetta, but his form for West Coast eagles shows that we've been carrying him in the past few years. He had 8 touches in the WAFL. I think his exclusion and the inclusion of a player that actually fights in the center has made all the difference. It's bad to say, but we were almost playing a man down with Jetta in the side.

Mug Punter
9th June 2016, 10:24 PM
+1

And I'd add the improvement of Jones

Yep, he's flying below the radar but he's coming along well. Every top team needs hard nuts who are just good honest AFL footballers who go about their job with a minimum of fuss. You can't have 18 superstars, even if you did you'd never keep them but kids like him are very valuable and he's going to have a very good and long AFL career if he keeps on going.

The way we have developed him is a real testament to our development program. You look at who we have in the wings - O'Riordan, Aliir, Marsh, Rose and even BJ (he's still quite young) and you realise we have a very good pipeline. The interesting one for me is Xav R, he's kicked a few bags now, if he can kick 35-40 goals in the second half of the NEAFL season then maybe he can demand a new contract.

Our problem this year is going to be who we let go, especially if AJ's surgery is a success as we all hope for, though best case is late next season so we get a LTI upgrade out of him (O'Riordan I suspect but perhaps even Papley is things get tight). TDx is a def out and I think Ted will retire. On form Harry is demanding a senior list spot. Hiscox would seem out of his depth but I think he is on a three year deal as an academy kid and I respect that. So, you'd think we'll look at trading a player out possibly for a 2017 draft pick. That would leave three out (four with Xav) so you'd think we'll look at two in and one/two upgrades

Billericay
9th June 2016, 11:37 PM
I remember last year the Swans went into the bye looking comfortably like a contender (we were 2nd on the ladder with a 9-2 record). Came out of the bye, lost to Richmond, then got totally smashed by Hawthorn and West Coast (lost by 89 and 52 points) and looked like we were making up the numbers. I think those defeats knocked a lot of confidence out of the team.

This year I think we are travelling quite a lot better. I'm not sure we should be favourites, but...

Hotpotato
9th June 2016, 11:43 PM
There just seems to be a much higher level of confidence within the team , possibly given to them by Kirk.
So as fans, we have more confidence . I believe they will account for GWS quite easily.
It's a pretty good ingredient.

KTigers
10th June 2016, 12:52 AM
It's a pity we're not going into the finals now, there is still such a long way to go in the home & away season anything
can happen. Last year I'm not sure we really recovered from that disaster against Hawthorn at ANZ, then the injuries
at the end of the season finished us off. Just got to go at least 7-4 from here and stay relatively unscathed. Fortunately we
still have six SCG games up our sleeve, where we are pretty much unbeatable these days (only lost three games there since 2013). Not sure if ANZ is still in the picture for our home finals, but another two (finals) games at the SCG would be nice. Anyway, there are plans, and there is reality.

dimelb
10th June 2016, 08:43 AM
It's a pity we're not going into the finals now, there is still such a long way to go in the home & away season anything
can happen. Last year I'm not sure we really recovered from that disaster against Hawthorn at ANZ, then the injuries
at the end of the season finished us off. Just got to go at least 7-4 from here and stay relatively unscathed. Fortunately we
still have six SCG games up our sleeve, where we are pretty much unbeatable these days (only lost three games there since 2013). Not sure if ANZ is still in the picture for our home finals, but another two (finals) games at the SCG would be nice. Anyway, there are plans, and there is reality.

I don't think we'll be back at ANZ. And there is a precedent for a final at the SCG ...

barry
10th June 2016, 09:54 AM
When they were taking about all sydney finals a few weeks ago, ANZ was mentioned but the AFL didn't seem interested.

I'd say ANZ is already a rectangular sport only venue

penga
10th June 2016, 03:03 PM
Yes, some good points there. I also have wondered about the Kirk influence. Certainly it does seem that our defensive pressure, especially our forward defensive pressure, has picked up this year. While with Fremantle it has fallen away and now they seem to have a lot of trouble containing sides. Though of course, one big problem for the Dockers, is the loss of Fyfe and Sandilands, as a lot of their drive last year, was supplied by Sandilands tapping it on to the chest of Fyfe.

As much as I love the bloke, I don't think you can put Freo's downfall, and our improved style, at the feet of Kirky. I think Freo are the most effected side by the new rules this season. Yes, Sandilands and Fyfe going down are huge influences, but the interchange cap has required more positional play this year rather than following the football around like a bunch of Auskick kids, which was pretty much Freo's gameplan in a nutshell.

aguy
11th June 2016, 11:41 AM
One of the things that feels different to me this year is that so far we've beaten north Melbourne, GWS, Hawthorn and West Coast. That's 4 out of the top 8. The only top 8 team we've lost to was Adelaide in a cracker of a game and even then it was a narrow loss at their home ground.

This weekend is a real litmus test for us. And then just Bulldogs and Geelong to go from the current top 8. If we can beat both those teams that will be pretty encouraging

My recollection of last year was that we lost to more top 8 teams than we won so our win loss record relied on beat of lower teams