PDA

View Full Version : Tyrell mayfield

Auntie.Gerald
11th July 2016, 10:28 PM
Mayfield sets sights on AFL - sydneyswans.com.au (http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-11-04/mayfield-sets-sights-on-afl)

Any updates ?

Mug Punter
12th July 2016, 02:41 PM
Well he isn't in the NSW-ACT Under 16 Squad so not sure what to read into that.

Both Shaydon Close and Chris Holten, two indigenous kids from the Macleay Valley now at Endeavour Sports High, are in there and Holten seems to have player quite well. Also see young Nick Blakey, John Blakey's lad, is there.

A look at the list makes for interesting reading.

GWS have 14 players, we have 11 (Two from Macleay Valley and nine from Sydney)

We have 9 from Sydney across a nice spread of our zone. GWS have a Big Fat Zero. Yes, some of it is because the Swans heartland has some traditionally strong clubs but GWS has Baulkham Hills and the fastest growing areas of Sydney. Penrith had their own junior comp at one stage, not sure they still do. And Parramatta and the Campbelltown areas used to be strong. But 9-0 is an indictment on GWS.

After being in existence for five years and with a mandate to win the hearts and minds of Western Sydney this is a disgraceful number from GWS and quite frankly it's inexcusable. It shows both what we are doing right for the game in Sydney (heaps) at the grassroots level and precisely what they are doing (NOTHING!!!)

Whilst we have been developing the junior clubs in our zone they have neglected theirs because they just know they can mine the NSW-Victorian Border Towns and Riverina.

Now lets have a look at GWS. Three Canberra boys and one South Coast which is fair enough. One kid who plays for the Northern Jets (WTF, how is he academy?) and six from Albury and other border towns who clearly are not development areas and who I bet will line up for TAC Cup teams next year if they are not already. Then you get to the more contentious areas of Griffith (no dramas from me) and Wagga as the balance.

How a kid from a Victorian border town can be an academy kid is absolutely beyond me.

But let's focus on the main stat hear. ZERO kids from their Western Sydney zone. I know from playing footy in Sydney that those areas do produce decent footballers, Baulko used to be a production line of talent. Even now they have the following clubs under in their zone

* Baulkham Hills
* St Clair
* Hawkesbury
* Kellyville-Rouse Hill
* Emu Plain-Glenmore Park
* Quakers Hills
* Holroyd-Parramatta
* Rooty Hill RSL
* Blue Mountains
* Katoomba
* Wollondilly
* Camden
* Ingleburn
* Campbelltown
* South Campbelltown
* South West Tigers
* Bankstown (And ask anyone involved with that club what they think of GWS and Sydney Development)
* Penrith Giants
* Liverpool

GWS has had these clubs in its bossom for five years and they can't deliver ONE kid of decent standard when we get NINE. I challenge anyone to say this is not a disgrace.

It can't just be that the kids are inherently better from the North Shore and Eastern Suburbs can it? The Swans invest and believe in development, GWS just cherry pick a recruitment zone. The sooner GWS are forced to do their job properly, and the only way they'll do it is if they get the Border towns and then Riverina taken away, the better for the game's sake.

Bloods05
12th July 2016, 03:06 PM
Well he isn't in the NSW-ACT Under 16 Squad so not sure what to read into that.

Both Shaydon Close and Chris Holten, two indigenous kids from the Macleay Valley now at Endeavour Sports High, are in there and Holten seems to have player quite well. Also see young Nick Blakey, John Blakey's lad, is there.

A look at the list makes for interesting reading.

GWS have 14 players, we have 11 (Two from Macleay Valley and nine from Sydney)

We have 9 from Sydney across a nice spread of our zone. GWS have a Big Fat Zero. Yes, some of it is because the Swans heartland has some traditionally strong clubs but GWS has Baulkham Hills and the fastest growing areas of Sydney. Penrith had their own junior comp at one stage, not sure they still do. And Parramatta and the Campbelltown areas used to be strong. But 9-0 is an indictment on GWS.

After being in existence for five years and with a mandate to win the hearts and minds of Western Sydney this is a disgraceful number from GWS and quite frankly it's inexcusable. It shows both what we are doing right for the game in Sydney (heaps) at the grassroots level and precisely what they are doing (NOTHING!!!)

Whilst we have been developing the junior clubs in our zone they have neglected theirs because they just know they can mine the NSW-Victorian Border Towns and Riverina.

Now lets have a look at GWS. Three Canberra boys and one South Coast which is fair enough. One kid who plays for the Northern Jets (WTF, how is he academy?) and six from Albury and other border towns who clearly are not development areas and who I bet will line up for TAC Cup teams next year if they are not already. Then you get to the more contentious areas of Griffith (no dramas from me) and Wagga as the balance.

How a kid from a Victorian border town can be an academy kid is absolutely beyond me.

But let's focus on the main stat hear. ZERO kids from their Western Sydney zone. I know from playing footy in Sydney that those areas do produce decent footballers, Baulko used to be a production line of talent. Even now they have the following clubs under in their zone

* Baulkham Hills
* St Clair
* Hawkesbury
* Kellyville-Rouse Hill
* Emu Plain-Glenmore Park
* Quakers Hills
* Holroyd-Parramatta
* Rooty Hill RSL
* Blue Mountains
* Katoomba
* Wollondilly
* Camden
* Ingleburn
* Campbelltown
* South Campbelltown
* South West Tigers
* Bankstown (And ask anyone involved with that club what they think of GWS and Sydney Development)
* Penrith Giants
* Liverpool

GWS has had these clubs in its bossom for five years and they can't deliver ONE kid of decent standard when we get NINE. I challenge anyone to say this is not a disgrace.

It can't just be that the kids are inherently better from the North Shore and Eastern Suburbs can it? The Swans invest and believe in development, GWS just cherry pick a recruitment zone. The sooner GWS are forced to do their job properly, and the only way they'll do it is if they get the Border towns and then Riverina taken away, the better for the game's sake.

That's it of course. GWS does no development in western Sydney because they don't have to. Why would you bother when you have such an embarrassment of riches? If it is a disgrace, the disgrace lies with the AFL.

barry
12th July 2016, 03:09 PM
So sydney with 9 players is not a developed zone but murray towns with 6 is?

If ww conceed riverina , they will come after sydney next.

WauchopeAnalyst
12th July 2016, 05:35 PM
Back to Tyrell and the news does not look good.

3 games of AFL this year on 24 Apr, 1 & 29 May at Maroubra U17s Div 2.

2 games of Rugby League on 26 Jun and 3 Jul this year at Botany Rams.

Was fit enough to play league after a month out of AFL.

Maybe and just maybe gone back to league.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

bloodspirit
13th July 2016, 12:07 AM
A good point well made, MP.

Bloods05
13th July 2016, 12:20 PM

That's one impenetrable defence right there.

Mug Punter
13th July 2016, 06:25 PM

I normally ignore you boring, mono-syllabic and argumentative posts that add nothing to the debate here barry but due to the extreme stupidity of this post I'll make an exception.

The simple reason is that Sydney's nine players come from a population of 5,250,000 and the four Albury players come from a population of 40,000. Even if you include the Albury surrounds and make it 100,000 (very generous) then we have 50 times the population and 2.25 times the representation. That's why Sydney is a development zone and why a border town in Victoria representing a Victorian TAC Cup team is not.

Can you understand that or are you just going to keep on making silly arguments on here for the sake of it?

- - - Updated - - -

That's one impenetrable defence right there.

Please read above

barry
13th July 2016, 06:35 PM
I can tell by your personal attacks that youve run out if ideas again. Population has nothing to do with it

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Auntie.Gerald
13th July 2016, 07:09 PM
MP that info above would be good in the hands of Caroline or Emma

- - - Updated - - -

Draftees: How Five Boys Made It To The Afl National Draft, The | Penguin Books Australia (https://www.penguin.com.au/products/9781921901645/draftees-how-five-boys-made-it-afl-national-draft)

Mug Punter
13th July 2016, 07:14 PM
MP that info above would be good in the hands of Caroline or Emma

- - - Updated - - -

Draftees: How Five Boys Made It To The Afl National Draft, The | Penguin Books Australia (https://www.penguin.com.au/products/9781921901645/draftees-how-five-boys-made-it-afl-national-draft)

Thanks Auntie

I am going to send them something actually because as far as I am concerned it is the issue at stake.

Regards
Paul

TheMase
13th July 2016, 09:52 PM
I've coached in the western Sydney juniors at the top age level for the past four years (not this year I have moved away).

I will start by saying that the Harbour comps is a much stronger than the Western competition.

Gws do have Sydney academies but they are starting from a much lower base. Though they due treat local clubs as an opportunity to gain members over developing football IMO.

Mug Punter
13th July 2016, 10:08 PM
I've coached in the western Sydney juniors at the top age level for the past four years (not this year I have moved away).

I will start by saying that the Harbour comps is a much stronger than the Western competition.

Gws do have Sydney academies but they are starting from a much lower base. Though they due treat local clubs as an opportunity to gain members over developing football IMO.

This is true to an extent, clubs like Manly, Forest, Easts, Penno, Ramsgate and Penshurst, amongst others are very well run clubs. But Baulko are very strong and there is just so, so much untapped potential in the west of Sydney where is where the family belt reside.

But GWS have had five years now to get this right and, quite frankly it is not good enough. The word tokenism comes to mind. And given that AFL HQ are the puppeteers at the club it ultimately lands on Gillon's desk. But I think we all know the Swans have a much stronger appetite for junior development in Sydney than the AFL.

TheMase
13th July 2016, 10:16 PM
This is true to an extent, clubs like Manly, Forest, Easts, Penno, Ramsgate and Penshurst, amongst others are very well run clubs. But Baulko are very strong and there is just so, so much untapped potential in the west of Sydney where is where the family belt reside.

But GWS have had five years now to get this right and, quite frankly it is not good enough. The word tokenism comes to mind. And given that AFL HQ are the puppeteers at the club it ultimately lands on Gillon's desk. But I think we all know the Swans have a much stronger appetite for junior development in Sydney than the AFL.

Agreed.

Up until recently though the likes of Baulko have played through the harbour comps. Yes they still aren't producing AFL players.

There are a couple of St Clair boys that were in the academy and one that was then played seniors for East Coast and a NEAFL game (St Clair played him against us and we manage to shut him down!). One of the St Clair boys I noticed in their NEAFL team recently as a toppy.

The problem with GWS is from 16 upwards most of the Sydney boys get wiped by the Riverina kids when places are limited.

Needs to be scaled back if they are going to develop it properly.

Bloods05
13th July 2016, 10:32 PM
Please read above

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I meant the mind was impenetrable. Reasoning with Barry is like wrestling a rhinoceros.

Mug Punter
13th July 2016, 10:39 PM
Agreed.

Up until recently though the likes of Baulko have played through the harbour comps. Yes they still aren't producing AFL players.

There are a couple of St Clair boys that were in the academy and one that was then played seniors for East Coast and a NEAFL game (St Clair played him against us and we manage to shut him down!). One of the St Clair boys I noticed in their NEAFL team recently as a toppy.

The problem with GWS is from 16 upwards most of the Sydney boys get wiped by the Riverina kids when places are limited.

Needs to be scaled back if they are going to develop it properly.

I don't blame GWS for taking the easy option but I think they've misread the play on this issue and it really comes down to having a Chairman in Shepherd who is a businessman and political mover and shaker rather than a proper football person.

GWS should have known that nothing south of Wagga Wagga would ever have been acceptable once they became successful. And if Shepherd and co really understood the Academy System and what it is for, and I believe they don't because all they are is businessmen, then they should have known why.

There's absolutely no reason kids in those border towns need an academy because they have one already, it's called the Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup Team and it's been providing a very successful AFL pathway for years now.

They should have demanded funding for state of the art multiple site operations in Western Sydney (I'm talking million dollar facilities) and one for Canberra. They should have demanded they be funded with the best coaches and the best support staff. Had they done that I have no doubt you'd have 3-5 Western Sydney boys in that side. Because growing up in Sydney playing junior and senior footy there were some cracking junior footballers that became senior footballers that came from Campbelltown and Baulko and Parramatta.

Problem now is they have left five years go with a half-hearted effort and the Swans have thrown everything at their area. But they have to bite the bullet and do it because if they want to truly represent Western Sydney they need boys from that area playing for them

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I meant the mind was impenetrable. Reasoning with Barry is like wrestling a rhinoceros.

Hehe , I agree:) I try and not read his posts now he is on block but you quoted him so I had no choice:)

barry
13th July 2016, 11:12 PM

Dont lower yourself to pauls level with comments like that.

GWS arent exactly flush with cash compared to the swans, so it stands to reason they may look to maximize every $ spent. Its a long bow to draw that we need to punish them by removing the riverina from their academy. A gross over reaction.

They have no father-son opportunities and they have great trouble retaining non NSW boys. The academy system gets locals on your list and negates the go home problem.

Lets npt forget in all the hyperbole they have yet to actually play a final.

That is my opinion, you are welcome to disagree but i do not like the nasty personal attacks directed my way.

graemed
14th July 2016, 11:07 AM
It's some time since I've been involved in club footy since I have Saturday obligations with my school and my kids have no connection (waiting on grandkids). But I've worked with Neil Brunton for many years trying to get footy into independent schools and some of you may remember Neil as a swans stalwart during the dark days.
Neil is from the Parramatta club and still does a lot of work for them in development but it is interesting that the swans are the team that is helping the NSWAFL to promote the code in this area. I realise most of the schools are part of the swans zone but the students come from everywhere.