PDA

View Full Version : Papley signed new two year deal

Maltopia
24th July 2016, 10:02 PM
Just got the alert on my Sydney Swans app.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-07-24/papley-signs-on

Markus26
24th July 2016, 10:22 PM
Excellent news! He has been a find for us. I love his attack and acts of pressure. Another young excitement machine. Go Swannies!!!

dejavoodoo44
25th July 2016, 10:08 AM
Yes, well done, Tom. It's certainly a case of seizing an opportunity when it is finally presented. Also a demonstration that the recruiters don't always get it right. That is, he sat through two drafts and a rookie draft, before we finally took him at number 14 in last year's rookie draft. So there was certainly a lot of players taken before him, many of whom won't make it. So it seems a bit mystifying now?
I wonder what the knock on him was? Was he considered too small? Did he have endurance problems? Or did he just have poor interview skills? Who knows?

ScottH
25th July 2016, 10:33 AM
He reminds me so much of a past player, but I still haven't nailed who that is yet.
His look, they way he moves. It's got me beat. Just very familiar!!

Good to hear!!!

dimelb
25th July 2016, 10:56 AM
He reminds me so much of a past player, but I still haven't nailed who that is yet.

Good to hear!!!

Reminds me a bit of Amon Buchanan. I'm pleased he's there anyway - seems to be a naturally clever footballer.

aardvark
25th July 2016, 10:56 AM
Swans royalty. He was never going anywhere else.

royboy42
25th July 2016, 11:12 AM
Amon Buchanan

ScottH
25th July 2016, 12:27 PM
Reminds me a bit of Amon Buchanan. I'm pleased he's there anyway - seems to be a naturally clever footballer.

Amon Buchanan

Ahh, Maybe that is it.
I'll have to look closer next week.

goswannies
25th July 2016, 01:20 PM
Swans royalty. He was never going anywhere else.
Id have thought Barry Mitchell would have some claim to a degree of Swans royalty ...

annew
25th July 2016, 09:05 PM

Yep definitely like Amon Buchanan

bloodsbigot
25th July 2016, 11:26 PM
Papley reminds me a bit of Kirk.

You can tell he truly believes in the swans cause. Plays with conviction.

I believe Mills will be the same as he grew up loving the swans.

YvonneH
26th July 2016, 09:52 AM
I like his statement 'This is not a job. I love what I do'. Maybe I am paraphrasing a little but that was pretty close.
You can see he lives this by the joy on his face when he plays.

26th July 2016, 03:00 PM
Always great to find a best 22 player out of nowhere. Well done to a young guy that is red and white through and through. He really must pinch himself every so often to remind him he really is living his boyhood dream. More upside to come with Tom as well.

With every team basically having the same number of picks, to rise up the ladder you need to be able to out draft them and out trade them. We've done both of these very well in the recent past which is why we have risen.

Also got high hopes for guys coming through like O'Riordan, Dawson etc that are mid/late draft picks or rookies.

Meg
26th July 2016, 03:47 PM
�It�s a bit more than an apprentice�s wages,� Papley told The Daily Telegraph. "I don�t call footy a job because I love doing it.�

�I always wanted to play in the AFL for the Swans, I dreamt about it and grew up running around in the back yard pretending I was Brett Kirk. It is a dream come true and I�m very happy to sign on to 2018.�

Papley enjoying life as an AFL footballer (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans/tom-papley-enjoying-life-as-an-afl-footballer-after-serving-his-time-as-an-apprentice-plumber/news-story/4b74782f903860bb6542a2269f1e0f1b)

Bloods05
26th July 2016, 03:55 PM

Good to hear!!!

Reminds me of a bloke called Max Papley.

Doctor
26th July 2016, 07:00 PM
Nice signing! More good Swans news today. :-)

Sandrevan
28th July 2016, 11:47 AM
Great news - really pleased for the club and for Tom