PDA

View Full Version : Rnd 19 MDT Fremantle V Sydney. 13.20 pm. D.S.

aardvark
31st July 2016, 10:11 AM

Swans should win comfortably but? Swans by 17. Go Swannies!

dejavoodoo44
31st July 2016, 11:38 AM
Yes, should be win, as long as we cope well with the slightly tricky weather and a Fremantle side that will probably be fired up for the Pav.
I think that Ballantyne being out is a big loss for the Dockers. Which should mean that Nick Smith can focus all his attention on shutting down Walters: who, in my opinion, is their most dangerous forward. The other match ups could be interesting. Aliir on Pavlich?
I also think that our forwards have a pace advantage. So if our midfielders can hit targets, or even just put it in the general direction of a one on one, then we should kick a winning score.

stellation
31st July 2016, 02:16 PM
Happy for Pav to kick a bag in a Swans win. Excited to see how the ruck divisions go.

Levii3
31st July 2016, 02:27 PM
We haven't reached a 100 points since round 9 i think hope we can get 100 today

aardvark
31st July 2016, 02:46 PM
Sorry should be 15.20 pm. Perth time gets me every time.

Wardy
31st July 2016, 04:07 PM
Have to say how impressive in presenting and interview is Peter Bell? You can tell by the way he holds himself and speaks so eloquently that his parents got their money's worth and then some with his education!!! I could listen to him all day.

- - - Updated - - -

I hopeAllir isn't intimidated by Pav - and the redneck crowd.

Markus26
31st July 2016, 04:11 PM
Love the credit Lethal just gave to the academies re: Mills and the likes of Heeney. Let's go boys!!!!

bodgie
31st July 2016, 04:33 PM
Hanners! Just started to type how we dominate but don't put them away.

RogueSwan
31st July 2016, 04:50 PM
Someone needs to be there for Buddy's crumbs when he goes deep as his hands are not clean today

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Swans500
31st July 2016, 04:51 PM
So many free kicks to us....Most unusual....All deserved of course....

neilfws
Liking the effort and intensity, not so much the finishing :) but I'd say early signs are good.

Mel_C
Should have made more of our opportunities with the wind. Kicking into our 50 is still frustrating!

dejavoodoo44
31st July 2016, 04:57 PM
Loving the work of our defence. The quick decision making, the constantly getting to contests to support each other and the rapid fire disposals.

Cheer_Cheer
31st July 2016, 05:04 PM
That one was for you Barry :-)

undy
31st July 2016, 05:06 PM
Love AA taking them on to bust out of defence. Nice goal Parkerrrr

Wardy
31st July 2016, 05:24 PM
AA is just so composed - I'm more and more impressed with him every week!!

RogueSwan
31st July 2016, 05:28 PM
AA is just so composed - I'm more and more impressed with him every week!!
I smile every time the ball goes near him because I know his touches well be as good as a 150 game footballer.

liz
31st July 2016, 05:30 PM
I'm loving the work of Naismith. He's getting his hands to so many balls at stoppages but then also follows up once the ball hits the deck. Good to see him starting to get more involved around the ground too.

Scottee
31st July 2016, 05:38 PM
I'm loving the work of Naismith. He's getting his hands to so many balls at stoppages but then also follows up once the ball hits the deck. Good to see him starting to get more involved around the ground too.
I would like to see him get it to a Swan a bit more often. Loving seeing him finally making the 22 though.

Papley on the other hand is looking out of his depth atm. Neafl beckons.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

bodgie
31st July 2016, 05:41 PM
Papley struggling, but Towers had a good 1st half. Mitchell plenty of useful handballs.

31st July 2016, 05:43 PM
Whatever happens for the rest of this year we need to be happy with finding a few new players out of almost no where.

AA was being touted as a delist but now looks highly promising, Naismith injuries were being lamented but in just a few games is showing us why the ruck whisperer spoke so highly of him. Papley looks to have hit a flat spot and Heeney is just going at present. Mills is in a class of his own.

Need to put Freo away now, I notice on the stats that they are saving their interchanges for the second half, probably hoping for a late run.

Mel_C
31st July 2016, 05:44 PM
Yeah not sure about Papley. He needs to learn not to just let the ball go when he is tackled.

I'm loving AA as well. I don't stress when he gets the ball.

Hope the bad weather goes away. Let's make use of the wind this quarter.

Wardy
31st July 2016, 05:53 PM
I think I just saw a chicken wing on Buddy!!!

- - - Updated - - -

And Lloyd is still doing my head in!

undy
31st July 2016, 06:03 PM
Good assist by Papley hope that boosts his confidence

Wardy
31st July 2016, 06:06 PM
Me too - he is a real revelation and you just know, even after just a few weeks, he's going to do something sensible. Love him!!!

- - - Updated - - -

CMON BOYS PERCENTAGE!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

CMON BOYS PERCENTAGE!!!!

RogueSwan
31st July 2016, 06:06 PM
And to think an hour ago was a little concerned about this game????

Wardy
31st July 2016, 06:09 PM
CMON BOYS PERCENTAGE!!!! (Didnt mean to say it twice - but PERCENTAGE!!!!)????????

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't it nice to watch a game against Freo when there is no Ballantyne or Crowley??????????

RogueSwan
31st July 2016, 06:09 PM
And Lloyd is still doing my head in!
He is kicking it like Pebbles in his last two years, just kick and hope from the back of the pack. When he takes that extra half a second his disposal is a lot better.

Wardy
31st July 2016, 06:10 PM
Mitchell has redeemed himself for me today! ????

31st July 2016, 06:17 PM
Mitchell has redeemed himself for me today! ????

He redeem himself when he signs, for me

Maltopia
31st July 2016, 06:21 PM
The call has actually been enjoyable - no BT, no McAvaney. McChins or Brereton spewing their rubbish.

31st July 2016, 06:23 PM
The call has actually been enjoyable - no BT, no McAvaney. McChins or Brereton spewing their rubbish.
Was just thinking that myself. Just magnifies what @@@@ those other tools constantly spew forth. Really don't know why network execs can't see this for themselves!

undy
31st July 2016, 06:31 PM
Was just thinking that myself. Just magnifies what @@@@ those other tools constantly spew forth. Really don't know why network execs can't see this for themselves!
Commentators phrase for the day 'takes something off the kick'

stevoswan
31st July 2016, 06:36 PM
Live percentage.....140.64% We need a few more goals!

stevoswan
31st July 2016, 06:40 PM
Dawson the p***k, Heeney all silk!!!!!! Percentage 141.1! Oh @@@@, Pav.....!!! ..140.4%

RogueSwan
31st July 2016, 06:41 PM
Poor Lloydy, looked bad and Dawson showed no remorse unlike Gaz only moments before. Rohan > great bloke
Dawson > dodgy @@@@er

Untamed Snark
31st July 2016, 06:42 PM
I'm rather liking the score line!

RogueSwan
31st July 2016, 06:48 PM
I have been impressed with the length of some of Rohan's kicks into the forward 50. Just like the one Heeney got on the end of.

stevoswan
31st July 2016, 06:49 PM
141.5% Two more goals!!

ugg
31st July 2016, 06:54 PM
I'm watching without sound. What's happened to Naismith? Why is X rucking?

stevoswan
31st July 2016, 06:54 PM
It's got to be said.....again, Hanners can really butcher the ball!

Swans500
31st July 2016, 06:55 PM
Robbed of percentage in the last five minutes....

neilfws
31st July 2016, 06:57 PM
Bit disappointed with the junk time stuff, hoping for the 100+. Still, can't complain too much about that!

stevoswan
31st July 2016, 06:59 PM
Well that was a great win, and the margin, just what the doctor ordered! We're still third!:wink:

barry
31st July 2016, 07:13 PM
Dawson is a sniper. Always has been. Disguises it as "clumsy".

Amazingly good win, I thought it was a bit of a danger game, but almost zero pressure from Freo. I think, like Richmond, they have put the que in the rack and shut up shop for 2016.

If only Hawthorn would drop a game soon!

dimelb
31st July 2016, 07:17 PM
An emphatic win - as it needed to be. Good work all over the park, despite Lance's attack of the dropsy, and his goal from the 50, kicking around his opponent, was marvellous.

The defence was terrific all day, the mids did the job and nice to be reminded what a boot Heeney has. I was particularly encouraged by the work of the "bottom six" - worked hard, kicked goals and helped set them up, tackled with determination. Loved the general work of the on ball brigade, especially our ruckmen.

Hotpotato
31st July 2016, 07:56 PM
Franklin is an awesome stab kick into the bread basket . Peplexed about his overhead marking , but I guess you can't expect total perfection .
Great to see Heeney get his Mojo again. Loved how the two N's stepped up.
Not many players take a half second sum-up like McVeigh , wish more could .
AA continues his splendid run of form .
Hanners needs to work on his disposal .
Very good win .

Pmcc2911
31st July 2016, 08:11 PM
Hanners disposal is awful, has it ever been good?

barry
31st July 2016, 08:24 PM
There is a thread thats come back to life on bigfooty which has a title like "Hannerbry the ball butcherer" which was started back when he won the rising star.

If bigfooty is the official historical record for opinions, then No, he has never been any good.

RogueSwan
31st July 2016, 08:32 PM
I don't remember it being consistently poor

Doctor
31st July 2016, 08:51 PM
There is a thread thats come back to life on bigfooty which has a title like "Hannerbry the ball butcherer" which was started back when he won the rising star.

If bigfooty is the official historical record for opinions, then No, he has never been any good.

His handballs are outstanding, but he's better by hand than by foot. Some of our handball work generally today was very slick.

Ludwig
31st July 2016, 08:57 PM

If bigfooty is the official historical record for opinions, then No, he has never been any good.Has anyone on there ever called him 'Mick Hackebery?'

It could be an interesting commentary on the game next week. Maybe we'll see a headline like John The Butcherer versus Dan Mick Hackebery.

Matt79
31st July 2016, 09:01 PM
Certainly a solid win! Most pleasing was the consistent 4 quarter effort. Our midfield was simply outstanding and our backline water tight when required. Still tough 4 round to go...Port still playing for finals this Saturday!

mcs
31st July 2016, 09:13 PM
A good performance today - it was a danger game, but Freo have fallen so far off the perch this year it isn't funny. Feel sorry for Pavlich, holding out in hope of a flag and seeing the team fall like it has. They were really really poor, but we played well.

Some great performances, but very happy in particular to see Naismith continue to improve, and Nankervis did some good stuff as well. I honestly think Naismith is in front of Sinclair in the pecking order now, and if all 4 ruckmen are fit going into finals, surely our 2 to select would be Tippo and Naismith.

Papley is a worry,although he had a good couple of moments in the second half. I would keep him in, unless McGlynn absolutely belts the door down in reserves - I think he provides better forward pressure than McGlynn can, and therefore can contribute even if he is quiet. He still made I believe 6 tackles today and had a couple of nice assists.

A good win but we have to keep it going. At least Port's and St Kilda's finals hopes are basically dead in the water for all intensive purposes, which hopefully might mean they aren't really up for it over the next two weeks. Norf in Tassie will be tough, and who knows with Richmond - if they are anywhere near as bad as they were yesterday against GWS, then they'll be an easy beat, but that rarely happens when we play them.

All in all, wherever we end up in the 8, there has been an awful lot to love about our footy in 2016, and the great contribution the younger guys continue to make. It was quite a contrast today - seeing Freo who plenty of experts tipped to be there or there abouts at the end of the season being towelled up by a young and hungry swans team, who so many said would slide down the ladder in 2016, even potentially miss the finals.

stevoswan
31st July 2016, 09:30 PM
Yes, some of our arch enemies must be thinking "they just don't go away!"........well, no we don't........and we won't! :wink: :five:

dejavoodoo44
31st July 2016, 09:35 PM

Yes, I was also thinking that. Cometti will be sorely missed by me when he retires at the end of the year. While I haven't heard much of Mark Readings before, he does seem more competent than most, and the insights provided by Leigh Mathews and Peter Bell were to the point.

dejavoodoo44
31st July 2016, 09:39 PM
Certainly a solid win! Most pleasing was the consistent 4 quarter effort. Our midfield was simply outstanding and our backline water tight when required. Still tough 4 round to go...Port still playing for finals this Saturday!

I suspect that they'll be playing for a finals spot for about a quarter, but by the second half, the cue will be going in the rack.

dejavoodoo44
31st July 2016, 09:47 PM
A good performance today - it was a danger game, but Freo have fallen so far off the perch this year it isn't funny. Feel sorry for Pavlich, holding out in hope of a flag and seeing the team fall like it has. They were really really poor, but we played well.

Some great performances, but very happy in particular to see Naismith continue to improve, and Nankervis did some good stuff as well. I honestly think Naismith is in front of Sinclair in the pecking order now, and if all 4 ruckmen are fit going into finals, surely our 2 to select would be Tippo and Naismith.

Papley is a worry,although he had a good couple of moments in the second half. I would keep him in, unless McGlynn absolutely belts the door down in reserves - I think he provides better forward pressure than McGlynn can, and therefore can contribute even if he is quiet. He still made I believe 6 tackles today and had a couple of nice assists.

A good win but we have to keep it going. At least Port's and St Kilda's finals hopes are basically dead in the water for all intensive purposes, which hopefully might mean they aren't really up for it over the next two weeks. Norf in Tassie will be tough, and who knows with Richmond - if they are anywhere near as bad as they were yesterday against GWS, then they'll be an easy beat, but that rarely happens when we play them.

All in all, wherever we end up in the 8, there has been an awful lot to love about our footy in 2016, and the great contribution the younger guys continue to make. It was quite a contrast today - seeing Freo who plenty of experts tipped to be there or there abouts at the end of the season being towelled up by a young and hungry swans team, who so many said would slide down the ladder in 2016, even potentially miss the finals.

Yes, I would have Naismith in front of Sinclair now, even though I think that Sinclair has been useful. And I do like Papley in the side, his harassment skills are very good and he often does something that really shows off his potential. Like forcing Hodge off the ball the other week and then goaling.
With Richmond, how competitive they will be, may depend on whether they get a new coach in the next week or two?

aardvark
31st July 2016, 10:25 PM
Harry C played his best game for a while. He might have found his spot in the back pocket.

- - - Updated - - -

I too vote for Naismith over Sinclair.

Doctor
31st July 2016, 11:11 PM
Sinclair will definitely find it hard to get his spot back when he returns, unless he gets back before Tippett.

jono2707
31st July 2016, 11:17 PM
That was a pretty good performance by us, but I was more struck by how far Freo have fallen. They were mostly awful.

barry
31st July 2016, 11:19 PM
When tippet returns he is no 1 ruck. So is nainsmith better than sinclair as a forward ?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

MattW
31st July 2016, 11:22 PM
When tippet returns he is no 1 ruck. So is nainsmith better than sinclair as a forward ?

He'd be close up forward. Competes better at ground level and is quicker. Obviously more dangerous at centre square bounces. I'd pick him over Sinclair.

Cheer_Cheer
31st July 2016, 11:31 PM
I would give the bulk of the rucking to Naismith. I think Naismith gives us the option of leaving Tippet up forward a lot more.

barry
31st July 2016, 11:33 PM
Tippet doesn't work as a forward. He 10x better roaming the ground.

I think sinclair is the better forward.

Cheer_Cheer
31st July 2016, 11:37 PM

Really ?

Maltopia
31st July 2016, 11:39 PM
Apart from the obvious standouts out of our stars and top draft picks, I was also impressed with Cunningham, Towers, Aliir, Richards and Naismith from our lesser lights. Rohan was hot and cold, and missing for long stretches, and Papley had more bad patches than good ones.

I think we are in a good place with Tippet, Reid, Tahlia (maybe), Laidler, Sinclair, Foote, Richards, Robinson, BJ, McGlynn and Newman (did I miss anyone) who could slot into the team (after recovering from injury for some of them).

barry
1st August 2016, 12:00 AM
Our best wins come when our bottom 6 play well.

It may be That when tippet comes back he won't have the match fitness to be no 1 ruck, in which case nainsmith stays.

MattW
1st August 2016, 12:08 AM

Tippett is very dangerous forward - he plays forward better than our other ruckmen. He's easily a better mark and kick forward than Sinclair. He's also better around the ground and will play predominantly out of the centre whomever his ruck partner is.

Doctor
1st August 2016, 12:18 AM
The challenge will be getting Tippett and Naismith to play together, as they are clearly our two best ruckmen. For the rest of this year at least, Tippett's lack of match fitness on return from injury will probably make it a decent combination, as he'll have to spend more time in the forward 50 as he gets back into footy.

bodgie
1st August 2016, 12:19 AM
I think it will take Tippet a few games to run into his better form so we'll need Naismith to keep running around. Der. as above!

1st August 2016, 12:28 AM
Tippett proved to be a very good ruckman but Naismith is proving that too, he is on a Gawn like trajectory. Think it will be Naismith number one ruck and Tippett afdter a long lay off and struggling for condition will play FF where he is more competent and dangerous than any other option.

Our players around Tippett in the fwd line are much better than last time he played there so he will not only give us a genuine target but the fwd entries will be better. Heeney Rohan and Papley are three different small/mediums that make Tippett a better FF this time around and our fwd line much better.

Liking that thought.

barry
1st August 2016, 07:31 AM
The only worry is that it's fairly disruptive to the 2016 balance to suddenly play tippet as a FF.
We need to be careful we don't fall back into 2015 mode.

RogueSwan
1st August 2016, 07:56 AM
I think Naismith has shown here can hold down the ruck duties for us but I think we forget how good Sinclair was at the start of the season until he injured his knee. I think that injury had hampered him more than we realise.
Isn't it great to have a number of quality ruckmen to choose from.

Nico
1st August 2016, 09:49 AM
I don't know that Sinclair will get back for the season. 4 weeks from operation before he can play and will lose condition and can only play one position. I expect him to be the back up ruckman come finals. Naismith playing way too well. This bloke has given us a serious boost.

Primmy
1st August 2016, 09:59 AM
I am almost wishing he didn't give himself a grownup haircut! I like the long haired slobby look. Looks like we have a keeper.

Sheeze hats off to the ressies coaches (I mean you Shawry). They are coordinated, cohesive, mostly smart, and confident. That smacks of some serious coaching. One or two yes, but all of them at once??? nah, that's a bit special.

YvonneH
1st August 2016, 10:14 AM
I am almost wishing he didn't give himself a grownup haircut! I like the long haired slobby look. Looks like we have a keeper.

Sheeze hats off to the ressies coaches (I mean you Shawry). They are coordinated, cohesive, mostly smart, and confident. That smacks of some serious coaching. One or two yes, but all of them at once??? nah, that's a bit special.

So glad Shawry decided to stay with us as a coach. Who would have thought that when he came to us from the Pies.

mcs
1st August 2016, 10:14 AM

Naismith in terms of a tap ruckman has been ready for a while in my opinion, it really just is his body that has held him up in my opinion. Now he is having a run of good fitness, he is showing us what he can do in the big time :)

The development of our younger players this year has been superb - we are doing a lot of things right in that space, long may it continue!

Aaron
1st August 2016, 10:32 AM
JOHN BLAKEY started in the newly created role of HEAD OF DEVELOPMENT after KIRK returned. It may be a factor too.

Nico
1st August 2016, 11:03 AM
That Mark he took in the forward pocket was that of a man with very good hands. Sinclair drops those. If Sam continues like this he will be one of top rucks in the comp next year. With he and Tippett resting up forward come finals, we come a much more formidable side. Might be worth taking the flag odds right now.

neilfws
1st August 2016, 11:28 AM
That was a pretty good performance by us, but I was more struck by how far Freo have fallen. They were mostly awful.

It is startling. I read somewhere that they are missing 8 of the players from their win over us last September...but we were missing 11. So it seems deeper than a personnel issue.

Mind you, that journo also refers to "Martin Pyke" in this otherwise good, short article about our "rebuild on the run" skills:

AFL season 2016: Sydney Swan's young stars take flight (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-sydney-swans-young-stars-take-flight-20160731-gqhvbt.html)

undy
1st August 2016, 11:34 AM
Sinclair looked as though he had his marking mojo back in his last game.
Bring em all in (even TD). 5 ruck-men at the bounce.

bloodspirit
1st August 2016, 11:41 AM
I think we are in a good place with Tippet, Reid, Tahlia (maybe), Laidler, Sinclair, Foote, Richards, Robinson, BJ, McGlynn and Newman (did I miss anyone) who could slot into the team (after recovering from injury for some of them).

Rose, AJ, Jones, Marsh.

Derickx anyone? :)

Sandrevan
1st August 2016, 12:31 PM
Did we play well or were Freo really bad? I was surprised how much space and time our players had around the ground. Outside of the stoppages we had lots of space. I haven't seen what our disposal efficiency was but I'm guessing it was quite good (even with the low efficiency by Hannebery).
When you have low pressure around the ground it's easier for our bottom 6 players to look good - and they did. However, I hope they take some confidence from this to do it against the better teams. Towers got a lot of the ball and was pretty good I thought.

Sam Naismith - For those who watched on Ch7 would have heard Dennis Cometti's comments on Sam. Very positive. I think Sam has jumped the queue; IMO he's now ahead of Sinclair.

Zac Dawson is a turkey. He has a history of doing that sort of stuff. Does he ever learn? I hope Lloyd is ok.

Industrial Fan
1st August 2016, 12:33 PM
Did what we had to, no injuries, big win. Good result.

From what they served up in games against us, it's hard to believe freo are ahead of the lions. They were terrible, with a lot of our scores coming from basic handling errors.

CureTheSane
1st August 2016, 12:52 PM
Sam Naismith - For those who watched on Ch7 would have heard Dennis Cometti's comments on Sam. Very positive. I think Sam has jumped the queue; IMO he's now ahead of Sinclair.

Was ahead of Sinclair for me after his first game this year.
I'm well and truly on the "we have tonnes of depth, if a player isn't performing they get replaced and sent to the two's to find form" bandwagon.
It's Nankervis vs Sinclair at the moment.
And when Tippo returns, it will be him and Naismith locked in unless one of the other two start to star.

moocher
1st August 2016, 01:08 PM
So glad Shawry decided to stay with us as a coach. Who would have thought that when he came to us from the Pies.

What's emerging from the resies is the story of the year. Not in wildest dreams did I think so many would play so well. Great coaching & development

barry
1st August 2016, 01:12 PM
Was ahead of Sinclair for me after his first game this year.
I'm well and truly on the "we have tonnes of depth, if a player isn't performing they get replaced and sent to the two's to find form" bandwagon.
It's Nankervis vs Sinclair at the moment.
And when Tippo returns, it will be him and Naismith locked in unless one of the other two start to star.

That bandwagon has worked out so far this year, but we need to start consolidating on a finals squad so they can get used to working together. Injuries have played havoc I know.

I still think the Sinclair of the first 6 or so rounds (prior to Brisbane game) is better as a forward/ruck than Nainsmith of last few rounds.

Assuming all fit and firing, horse has to decide his optimal combination. These would be my order or pref.

1. Tippet first ruck, Sinclair forward and 2nd ruck
2. Nainsmith first ruck, Tippet forward and 2nd ruck.

Sinclar/Nainsmith are backups to either combo, and Nanker is backup to the backups. Derrickx is backup to the backups to the backups.
Allir is backup to the backups to the.....

crackedactor
1st August 2016, 01:14 PM
Naismith in terms of a tap ruckman has been ready for a while in my opinion, it really just is his body that has held him up in my opinion. Now he is having a run of good fitness, he is showing us what he can do in the big time :)

The development of our younger players this year has been superb - we are doing a lot of things right in that space, long may it continue!

I am glad that Naismith is starting to be recognised. I thought his last 3 weeks have been very good and he is well ahead of Sinclair. Evidentially there is a problem with him running out a full game but hopefully he has reached the fitness level now. Though quite in the second half, AA's game in the first half was quite outstanding. The future is looking quite bright and its great to have some backup players that can step up when required. Unlike last year when we had all those injuries during our finals campaign.

aardvark
1st August 2016, 01:16 PM
Eddie will want us banned from the NEAFL or want a pies team included.....

KTigers
1st August 2016, 01:26 PM
I agree. We must be investigated. Any team that is winning games with almost half the team having only played an average
of thirteen games each is clearly up to no good. Maybe we should be banned from playing any more debutants this year and forced to play injured senior players.

Eddie will want us banned from the NEAFL or want a pies team included.....

i'm-uninformed2
1st August 2016, 06:17 PM
Big Sam was sensational. You can see him start to throw his weight around in the way Mummy does, clearing a path for the players around him. Did anyone see his shepherd on Sutcliffe (I think it was) ahead of Rohan's goal in the third quarter. Oomph!

Triple B
1st August 2016, 06:33 PM
Did anyone see his shepherd on Sutcliffe (I think it was) ahead of Rohan's goal in the third quarter. Oomph!

Play of the day for mine. Couldn't happen to a nicer @@@@@ too, Sutcliffe scragged, kicked and punched Heeney all game in the final last year and looked to be in the same mindset yesterday until Heeney moved into the mids and tore them a new one....

barry
1st August 2016, 06:42 PM
Big Sam was sensational. You can see him start to throw his weight around in the way Mummy does, clearing a path for the players around him. Did anyone see his shepherd on Sutcliffe (I think it was) ahead of Rohan's goal in the third quarter. Oomph!

No doubt, Naimsmith is the find of the year for me. I think he's just an ok ruckman now, but enormous upside in the coming years. We dont have to worry about recruiting a ruckman for the next 8 years.

RogueSwan
1st August 2016, 09:33 PM
No doubt, Naimsmith is the find of the year for me. ...

Second for me, AA definitely the find of the year considering our concerns over lack of key backs with AJ's chances slim, Teddy fading and Talia being dazed and confused.

AnnieH
2nd August 2016, 10:22 AM
I've only watched half the game.
So far, so good.

liz
2nd August 2016, 11:32 AM
I've only watched half the game.
So far, so good.

Which half? If you're watching chronologically, it's gonna get a whole lot better. (Hope I haven't spoilt things by hinting at the ending.:wink:)

AnnieH
2nd August 2016, 12:22 PM
Which half? If you're watching chronologically, it's gonna get a whole lot better. (Hope I haven't spoilt things by hinting at the ending.:wink:)

Bless!
I've watched the first half. Looking very forward to watching the second half tonight.
My niece picked Sunday to get married. My brother is a quokka supporter, and we both weren't happy before the wedding. We had one eye on the wedding and one on the score.
At least one of us is happy now.

mattybloods
2nd August 2016, 12:56 PM
Second for me, AA definitely the find of the year considering our concerns over lack of key backs with AJ's chances slim, Teddy fading and Talia being dazed and confused.

Agreed, the fact AA is keeping Teddy out of the team speaks volumes

RogueSwan
2nd August 2016, 01:22 PM
Even though Buddy didn't kick many goals against the Dockers I loved his field kicking.
I would be happy for him to play between the centre and 50m arc for the rest of the season. He can pick out targets in the F50 but also kick goals from out there. He is also less likely to be triple-teamed. Then again, Towers goal showed what should happen when Buddy has three defenders hanging of him.

Agreed, the fact AA is keeping Teddy out of the team speaks volumes
Welcome to RWO Matty.
May your contributions be many and profound.

mattybloods
2nd August 2016, 01:35 PM
Thanks Rogue, long time viewer time to get involved!

Flying South
2nd August 2016, 05:37 PM
Or the two chase downs he did after centre square clearances by Fremantle. I believe they were both in the 4th quarter. One he caused enough pressure to result in a turn over and the other a great tackle resulting in another turnover. Something Sinclair is not capable of. It's those 2nd efforts that i really measure a player on. I remember saying to myself at the time "he'll do me. Welcome to the bloods!"

Doctor
2nd August 2016, 05:44 PM
Not sure if we have a "Swans on TV" thread or not, so I'll just throw this in here as I'm sure this relates to his performance on the weekend. JPK will be a guest on AFL360 tonight. Just FYI.

Ludwig
2nd August 2016, 09:09 PM
I noticed that Aliir made the AFL Team of the Week (at CHB), along with JPK and Heeney. Quite an achievement for someone who has only played a handful of games.

The comments from the article:

ALIIR ALIIR (Sydney Swans) � Showing more and more confidence with every outing, the athletic big man had 18 touches and four tackles against the Dockers.

It was nice seeing him up there with Alex Rance at FB. Maybe Aliir really will be something special.

I also noticed that Callum Mills is now the bookies' favourite for the rising star. Caleb Daniel is next. Weitering down to sixth. Callum is already something special. In a way you can't blame other clubs being a bit upset that we may have gotten the 2 best players in the past 2 drafts because of our academy.

I have a nice friend who is a long time Richmond supporter (not Caroline Wilson or KB). It must feel like an eternal sadness.

liz
2nd August 2016, 10:59 PM
I noticed that Aliir made the AFL Team of the Week (at CHB), along with JPK and Heeney. Quite an achievement for someone who has only played a handful of games.

The comments from the article:

ALIIR ALIIR (Sydney Swans) � Showing more and more confidence with every outing, the athletic big man had 18 touches and four tackles against the Dockers.

It was nice seeing him up there with Alex Rance at FB. Maybe Aliir really will be something special.

I also noticed that Callum Mills is now the bookies' favourite for the rising star. Caleb Daniel is next. Weitering down to sixth. Callum is already something special. In a way you can't blame other clubs being a bit upset that we may have gotten the 2 best players in the past 2 drafts because of our academy.

I have a nice friend who is a long time Richmond supporter (not Caroline Wilson or KB). It must feel like an eternal sadness.

Along with everyone else on here, I am thrilled with how AA is tracking. Team of the week is stretching things a bit though (unless you employ the handicap system that the Swans' coaching staff appear to when listing their best players for the NEAFL side each week). Rampe, on the other hand, was sensational on Pavlich. Yes, I realise Pavlich scored a couple of goals and was far from being amongst the worst contributing of the Dockers team out there on Sunday. But that says a lot about the quality of Pavlich, even in the twilight of his career. His contribution could be have been significantly greater had it not been for the immense one-on-one defensive work of Rampe against a bigger, stronger opponent. It's not a surprise in that Rampe's been doing it all season. But it is another exhibit in the portfolio of performances that Rampe has delivered this year to show how he has developed into one of the most reliable and versatile defenders in the competition.

On the Mills-Heeney envy, I too can understand why fans of other clubs might be a little peeved. The Swans have struck it incredibly lucky to unearth two players of such quality in back-to-back drafts. But if you want to mollify those supporters, you can point out that there's hope for all clubs and that high draft choices are extremely over-rated. After all, of far more importance to the Swans' current success (as opposed to future) than Heeney and Mills are midfield trio of Parker, Hanners and JPK. You can point out that one was lured cheaply from a strong club because his prospects were limited there and the Swans could offer greater opportunities (and that we've been on the end of this too, with the Saints and Dogs currently benefitting from the contributions of Membrey and Biggs, both of whom we lost for close to zilch return because we recognised we couldn't keep them if we couldn't offer them a decent chance at senior footy), The other two would be rated by most neutral pundits as amongst the top 5 in their draft cohorts (probably higher than top 5,in all likelihood), yet were chosen with picks 30 and 40. Point out that the support class surrounding this trio includes the likes of Jack, Lloyd and Cunningham, and they may shut up bemoaning draft picks and realise that development and club cohesion are far more important factors in success. (You'll probably want to gloss over Mitchell, given he was another draft bargain - it will get them frothing around the mouth again and distract them from the reality that the draft is a relatively minor element of building a successful club.)

barry
2nd August 2016, 11:23 PM
Will AA get a late rising star nomination?

Ludwig
3rd August 2016, 12:31 AM
Along with everyone else on here, I am thrilled with how AA is tracking. Team of the week is stretching things a bit though (unless you employ the handicap system that the Swans' coaching staff appear to when listing their best players for the NEAFL side each week). It does seem the selectors do use a system similar to the NEAFL best. Nonetheless, it must do wonders for his confidence, which was already looking very high.

Now, if we can only find a way to get Dean Towers a Team of the Week selection. :hmmm

liz
3rd August 2016, 01:12 AM
Will AA get a late rising star nomination?

No. He's too old.

troyjones2525
3rd August 2016, 01:23 AM
Hi all, not sure if we have any torrenters here on RWO but if so I'm hoping that someone might be able to offer me an invite to an AFL torrent site called aussierul.es. I missed the Freo game due to work on the weekend and also moved house last week so don't have foxtel to record it! I'm hoping that it will be on that site so I can download and watch the magnificent victory!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Maltopia
3rd August 2016, 01:42 AM
Hi all, not sure if we have any torrenters here on RWO but if so I'm hoping that someone might be able to offer me an invite to an AFL torrent site called aussierul.es. I missed the Freo game due to work on the weekend and also moved house last week so don't have foxtel to record it! I'm hoping that it will be on that site so I can download and watch the magnificent victory!

Not the greatest quality, but you can always watch using this -> Smart Replay - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay)

Ludwig
3rd August 2016, 03:32 AM
Hi all, not sure if we have any tormentors here on RWO but if so I'm hoping that someone might be able to offer me an invite to an AFL torment site called Aussie Rules. Sorry, but it wasn't clear to me what your post meant until I realised that you made a few spelling errors, which I have taken the liberty to correct.

I thought that RWO had plenty of tormentors, but I can understand that some fans are looking for some more serious action. I do know of a bar that specializes in tormenting Swans' supporters (you can PM me for the location):

http://www.alternet.org/files/styles/story_image/public/images/managed/storyimages_1334605810_shutterstock25854019.jpg

But if you're into serious torment, I recommend the following website:

Official AFL Website of the Richmond Football Club (http://www.richmondfc.com.au/)

ugg
3rd August 2016, 07:51 AM
It does seem the selectors do use a system similar to the NEAFL best. Nonetheless, it must do wonders for his confidence, which was already looking very high.

Now, if we can only find a way to get Dean Towers a Team of the Week selection. :hmmm
He already made the TOTW in one of the bye rounds.

AnnieH
3rd August 2016, 09:49 AM
What a magnificent second half.
Chandelier is such a lovely young man. He gifted Pav one of his goals. There was a big smile on his face when Pav got the mark. Nice one.
Pity we let them in at the end.
Percentage is most important.

There's talk that if the bogans have a home final, it'll be moved to ANZ.
Barry, that'll brighten your day.

RogueSwan
3rd August 2016, 09:56 AM
Hi all, not sure if we have any dementors here on RWO but if so I'm hoping that someone might be able to offer me an invite to an AFL torrent site called aussierul.es. I missed the Freo game due to work on the weekend and also moved house last week so don't have foxtel to record it! I'm hoping that it will be on that site so I can download and watch the magnificent victory!

Sorry, but it wasn't clear to me what your post meant until I realised that you made a few spelling errors, which I have taken the liberty to correct.
I thought that RWO had plenty of dementors

My turn :p

Dosser
3rd August 2016, 02:21 PM

If I was ever into that sort of thing I would have sent you a message. ????

troyjones2525
3rd August 2016, 02:56 PM
If I was ever into that sort of thing I would have sent you a message. ????
I would be very appreciative of that! ????

Auntie.Gerald
3rd August 2016, 09:57 PM
what is considered by the coaches as more gutsy and respected

1. a player running 50m with the ball in hand and setting up play?

or

2. or a player running 70m as a decoy player (no ball in hand) to open up space for his team?

Did anyone see lloyd in the 10th minute of the 2 qtr run from one wing across to the other when our backline was under pressure........he ran 70m plus to drag a player in the midfield across to the far wing boundary and then AA could run thru into the middle of the field and feed Buddy

That played was a amazing gut running with no reward personlly, no stat but massive team first points by fellow players

dimelb
3rd August 2016, 10:45 PM
AG, I enjoy reading the details you see in play.

aguy
3rd August 2016, 11:20 PM
AG, I enjoy reading the details you see in play. here here or should I say cheer cheer

Meg
4th August 2016, 12:04 AM
AG, I enjoy reading the details you see in play.

Me too. Makes me feel obtuse though when I realise how much I miss.

AG, I assume you play/have played footy? I think (and probably the case in any sport which someone has played, particularly if one has been coached) you see more than the enthusiastic non-playing fan - the latter being me in the case of footy.

So please keep up these observations.