PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the captaincy race may be more open than we'd thought

liz
15th January 2003, 12:46 AM
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/14/1042520615375.html

j s
15th January 2003, 12:49 AM
Everything Roos said is true of course.

We should know in a few weeks (assuming they name a captain before the NS game)

jude_boltons_babe
15th January 2003, 01:34 AM
i cant wait till they name the captain who do you think will be a good one

TheMase
15th January 2003, 09:41 AM
Should be interesting.

I still think we should go with someone like Maxfield, then look at handing it to a Ben Fixter/Kennelly/Saddington type of player in a couple of years ...

Charlie
15th January 2003, 11:20 AM
Did I imagine that Daryn Cresswell was playing this year? Did I miss the retirement announcement?

vagary
15th January 2003, 12:15 PM
where does it say that cressa is not playing this year charlie?

j s
15th January 2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by vagary
where does it say that cressa is not playing this year charlie?
I think Charlie meant that if Cressa were playing (which he is) then he should get mentioned as a possible candidate.

vagary
15th January 2003, 01:02 PM
sorry, i'm just having a blonde day today.

Bas
15th January 2003, 01:13 PM
I thought it makes a lot of sense of choosing a Captain who was not part of the "past".

I know the Club will make the right decision.

Charlie
15th January 2003, 02:18 PM
What I was referring to was the way they spoke about Maxi, Nicks and O'Loughlin being the last 3 players from an era that didn't reach it's potential.

Cressa isn't from that era???

Jimmy C
15th January 2003, 02:48 PM
I think Roos is on track with this one, and we as supporters need to have faith in his decision. Gotta look forward rather than back. Of the four possibles named in the article, I prefer Goodes, with Crouch as VC.

CARNA BLOODS!

desredandwhite
15th January 2003, 08:21 PM
Of those 4, I would probably personally go with Saddo - has scarcely put a foot wrong since his early debut and has IMHO put in a bit more work than Goodsey - Having said that, I would not complain if any of the 7 players mentioned are given the captaincy. Each is deserving in their own way.

liz
15th January 2003, 08:37 PM
I actually reckon its a bit unfair to label Nicks, O'Loughlin and Maxfield in that way - it sounds somehow as if they are personally responsible for the fact the Swans haven't won a flag in the past few years. Surely its to do with all 40 odd players that have been on the list at any one time plus coaching staff, off-field set-up etc.

In particular, O'Loughlin is only 25 and has played 7 seasons with the club. He could easily have another 7 seasons with the club and be an integral part of future success. I don't reckon any club can look to build towards a premiership more than 3 or so years to the future because there are too many imponderables that can fundamentally change the make-up of a squad over periods any longer than that. Surely he's not on the reject pile yet?

Charlie
15th January 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by lizz
I actually reckon its a bit unfair to label Nicks, O'Loughlin and Maxfield in that way - it sounds somehow as if they are personally responsible for the fact the Swans haven't won a flag in the past few years. Surely its to do with all 40 odd players that have been on the list at any one time plus coaching staff, off-field set-up etc.

In particular, O'Loughlin is only 25 and has played 7 seasons with the club. He could easily have another 7 seasons with the club and be an integral part of future success. I don't reckon any club can look to build towards a premiership more than 3 or so years to the future because there are too many imponderables that can fundamentally change the make-up of a squad over periods any longer than that. Surely he's not on the reject pile yet?

Very, very true.

Jimmy C
15th January 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by lizz
[B]I actually reckon its a bit unfair to label Nicks, O'Loughlin and Maxfield in that way - it sounds somehow as if they are personally responsible for the fact the Swans haven't won a flag in the past few years.

In particular, O'Loughlin is only 25 and has played 7 seasons with the club. He could easily have another 7 seasons with the club and be an integral part of future success

I'm wondering if Roos' is actually seeing past the "emotional" issues that may or may not be attached to these players. Maxi may well only have one season left in him (I hope not). Nicks can be very inconsistent, although like Maxi, is popular with the fans. I also think (and I can already hear the groans) that Roos is viewing Magic as a "wait and see" prospect, regardless of his age and prior service to the club.

I don't think Roos would be holding them accountable, I just think he's seeing the bigger picture. Maxi IS on short time, Nicks IS on borrowed time, and Magic IS worth 2 good picks (imho).

The least these players can do is prove Roos wrong, which I have no doubts that they all will.

CARNA BLOODS!

Xie Shan
15th January 2003, 09:22 PM
I read this in the realfooty article -

As candidates, vice-captains Stuart Maxfield, 30, Michael O'Loughlin, 26, and Matthew Nicks, 27, represent the last of a generation of a team that failed to reach its potential.

That's baggage the new regime wants to cast off.

Reading that, you'd think they were about to get axed! I agree with lizz that it's pretty unfair to label them as "excess baggage".

They can still add a lot to the team IMO - Nicks and O'Loughlin should only improve in 2003, and Maxfield will bring back much-needed experience in the midfield.

As for who should be captain - I'm not going to enter that debate because I really don't know myself!

vagary
15th January 2003, 09:33 PM
read that part too. it seems a bit unfair labeling them as baggage.

Ajn
16th January 2003, 08:38 PM
Way too tough on our champs, it would be a hard pill for them to swallow. May be the best decision for the future though. My personal feel is that a 2-3 year captain is not out of the question, yet!

18th January 2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy C
I don't think Roos would be holding them accountable, I just think he's seeing the bigger picture. Maxi IS on short time, Nicks IS on borrowed time, and Magic IS worth 2 good picks (imho).

Agreed. Roos isn't paying out on them. He's just acknowledging that the brains trust at Sydney will not stand any longer for favouritism. It's a case of perform or face repercussions. These guys are fair dinkum now. It's good for the club.

liz
18th January 2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Juicy
Agreed. Roos isn't paying out on them. He's just acknowledging that the brains trust at Sydney will not stand any longer for favouritism. It's a case of perform or face repercussions. These guys are fair dinkum now. It's good for the club.

I'm not sure I understand this. Was the club not "fair dinkum" under Eade, Barassi etc? Was Kelly only captain because of favouritism?

I'm as excited as the next person about our medium term prospects under Roos, but I'm not sure about painting everything the club has done previously as bad.

ROK Lobster
30th October 2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
Of those 4, I would probably personally go with Saddo - has scarcely put a foot wrong since his early debut and has IMHO put in a bit more work than Goodsey - Having said that, I would not complain if any of the 7 players mentioned are given the captaincy. Each is deserving in their own way. That would have thrown a cat amongst the pigeons.

desredandwhite
30th October 2005, 02:36 PM
Obviously, not getting the captaincy REALLY affected his game :D

ROK Lobster
30th October 2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
Obviously, not getting the captaincy REALLY affected his game :D LOL. I wish they had have listened to you Des, it could have been one of the most interesting appointments in Swans history - certainly one of the most talked about.

desredandwhite
30th October 2005, 02:43 PM
I wish I was Captain Hindsight.. but not to be :) To be fair though, at the time he was one of the young guns. That was before injury and apathy wrecked it all.

ROK Lobster
30th October 2005, 02:50 PM
Hindsight sucks. Life is more interesting when things come back as slightly foolish. I think he may yet produce some good football at Carlton. He was starting to look good again in 2004 before he popped his knee. Just looked as though he did not want to be at Sydney all last year. I hope the change does him good.

graystar
31st October 2005, 10:17 AM
im glad to see saddo go, he could never mark like he should been able to, thanks for the memories in front of the o'reily stand dropping those sitters.

woo
31st October 2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by graystar
im glad to see saddo go, he could never mark like he should been able to, thanks for the memories in front of the o'reily stand dropping those sitters.

here here....couldn't agree more. My dad and I have argued over him for years...massively overated.