PDA

View Full Version : Nine point goals

vagary
10th March 2003, 09:43 AM
found an article on real footy about nine point goals and how the writer is against them. what does every one think of 9 point goals?
personally i'm not for them but i'm just wondering about what other people think of them.
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/09/1047144870785.html

Mike_B
10th March 2003, 10:12 AM
I don't mind them for pre-season, just to trial some different things, but would definitely prefer that they stuck to the 6 pointers no matter where the ball is kicked from for the real stuff.

NMWBloods
10th March 2003, 10:51 AM
I quite like the 9-pointer. I think adds an extra dimension to the game, but I don't think it will ever catch on in the regular season.

I think the argument used in this article is specious. In basketball there are 3-pointers and 2-pointers. Many 3-point attempts are straight-forward open shots, whereas a lot of 2-pointers are leaping, spinning, turning frap-doodles and dunks. Yet the former get more points than the latter. So what? Doesn't undermine the game of basketball, nor would it undermine the game of AFL.

penga
10th March 2003, 12:53 PM
i only have one problem with it, the fact that modern scores would have no relation to previous years with the traditional 6 pointer, otherwise i like the idea...

NMWBloods
10th March 2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by penga
i only have one problem with it, the fact that modern scores would have no relation to previous years with the traditional 6 pointer, otherwise i like the idea...

Same!

As for those orange maggots, you should hear my Dad complaining about how non-traditional that is!! :)

TheHood
10th March 2003, 05:31 PM
I reckon the 9 pointers are average. I don't like the way they are called Super Goals either. KB calls a great goal from a crumber from 15 meters out a "super goal". So which one is it?

I also reckon there is too much reward just because it is a big kick as opposed to a well crafted goal from inside 50m.

For the initiated, these new rules are easy enough to digest but trying to explain the rules to my mum a couple of weeks ago was just useless. Plus we always get an overseas guest of two over footy season and it's hard enough to explain our game without marks not being marks or when a behind is a rushed behind as opposed to a run of the mill punch over the line. Geesh!

Thats my 9 cents worth anyway!

NMWBloods
10th March 2003, 07:02 PM
I also reckon there is too much reward just because it is a big kick as opposed to a well crafted goal from inside 50m.

But by extension that would mean that an easy goal from the square should worth be less than a beautifully threaded one from the boundary line.

Charlie
10th March 2003, 08:19 PM
Simply, there is no good reason to change the rules in the ways they have for this pre-season. So, AFL, have a bit of respect for the traditions of the game that is under your control, AND LEAVE IT HOW IT'S ALWAYS BEEN!!!!

tez
10th March 2003, 09:31 PM
If there is one part of our game that does not need
tampering with it is the scoring system. One of the
spectacles of our game is well timed lead running on
to a great foot pass, which I feel would be lost to long
bombs.

penga
10th March 2003, 10:58 PM
i think that they should introduce the play on after being kicked backwards for this very simple reason:

when we try to do it at the end of a game, we always screw up and end up costing us a win!!!

Cheer Cheer
11th March 2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by penga
i think that they should introduce the play on after being kicked backwards for this very simple reason:

when we try to do it at the end of a game, we always screw up and end up costing us a win!!!

I dont think it has cost us that many times in terms of losing a game - last years st.kilda game in melbourne was the closest it came too but we still didnt lose.
But definately in general play through out the game we are at fault with this ploy.

Diego
12th March 2003, 01:23 PM
Why has AFL become the improvised football league. Every year there a new rules made up on the fly.

Leace things how they are!

NMWBloods
12th March 2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by tez
If there is one part of our game that does not need
tampering with it is the scoring system. One of the
spectacles of our game is well timed lead running on
to a great foot pass, which I feel would be lost to long
bombs.

Didn't really affect the Wizard Cup games enormously. Still plenty of passes inside 50.