PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Swans Official Website

rickmat
2nd December 2018, 04:50 PM
Can we take bets on how long it takes for the Swans management and social media gurus to delete delisted, traded and retired players and replace with new incoming traded, drafted and rookie players for the 2019 season. Most teams are progressive and at least deleted all 2018 players no longer with their club. Not Swans!!!!!!

stevoswan
2nd December 2018, 05:23 PM
It is disappointing.....does our club even have an IT/Website co-ordinator/team? If they do and I would assume they do, whoever it is needs a rocket up their proverbial.:tongue:

Markwebbos
2nd December 2018, 06:15 PM
It is disappointing.....does our club even have an IT/Website co-ordinator/team? If they do and I would assume they do, whoever it is needs a rocket up their proverbial.:tongue:

Someone could write to the club about this. Who’s up for it?

liz
2nd December 2018, 06:42 PM
Can we take bets on how long it takes for the Swans management and social media gurus to delete delisted, traded and retired players and replace with new incoming traded, drafted and rookie players for the 2019 season. Most teams are progressive and at least deleted all 2018 players no longer with their club. Not Swans!!!!!!

My money would be on a week or so before the new season starts.

The club does so many things well but its website is definitely not one of them. Not only are they slow with content update, like playing lists, they frequently load videos that simply don't play. And a good chunk of the content they put up is pretty banal.

Another of my bug bears is the person they get to interview players. It's nice to hear from the new players but would be even better if they didn't have to field questions like "how exciting was it for you to be drafted?" "How exciting is it to come to training with Buddy Franklin?"

I mean, how is a person meant to answer a question that begins "how exciting is it".

Interviews with players post game aren't any better. "How good was it to win tonight?" "How did you feel playing your role?"

2nd December 2018, 07:26 PM
When are guernsey numbers handed out? Maybe they're waiting for that to happen?

Or maybe they're waiting for Xmas, or the New Year, or the start of the AFL season or ......

Just really annoying that others clubs are onto it straight away.

sharp9
2nd December 2018, 08:24 PM
When are guernsey numbers handed out? Maybe they're waiting for that to happen?

Or maybe they're waiting for Xmas, or the New Year, or the start of the AFL season or ......

Just really annoying that others clubs are onto it straight away.If I’m not mistaken Menzel is listed as number 10 already. This could be news to our former number 10, Zak Jones who is apparently no longer in the list 😱. Nice one I.T. Department 👍

rojo
2nd December 2018, 11:27 PM
It is totally weird that COR and Toby Pink still don't have a bio. Not one word after being on the list for how many years? It is not only slack but seems in a way disrespectful to those players.

rickmat
3rd December 2018, 08:27 AM
I agree, Rojo, most bios either don't have anything or are so dated, they are useless. But most importantly, it is disrespectful to the players, agree 200%. Last year, I contacted Swans and asked why the info on new players wasn't there, they said they were waiting for Champion Data. I found that excuse lame as even basic background info on draft players wasn't there. Its not getting better unfortunately every year we complain but no change. I feel sorry for the players

rb4x
3rd December 2018, 09:37 AM
It is extremely disappointing. We have Hannebery and Rohan still listed with number 0 as the same rank as Clarke and Thurlow, two number 10's Jones and Menzel while Newman is still number 28, talk about all over the place. The draftees are not worth mentioning while Toby Pink does not even rate a head shot but AJ and Brown are still there in all their glory. The main reason why I watch redandwhiteonlline.com is that there is more news and it is more up to date and balanced than the clubs own website.

barry
3rd December 2018, 10:00 AM
I honestly never go to the official swans website. Very little of value there. I only go to the AFL.com.au website for match-day scores, and fixture.

I can see why the AFL guard the fixture so carefully. Its the only thing of value

rickmat
10th December 2018, 05:07 PM
For all those interested why the Swans website player profiles and numbers are not current, here is the official response from the Swans

"The players list in our CMS system is controlled by the AFL and relies on updated information from Champion Data so there’s nothing that can be done to fix it unfortunately. All clubs are in the same boat and all experience the same frustrations.

It’s an issue that happens every year that the AFL still hasn’t been able to resolve unfortunately but we have communicated our frustrations to the AFL."

I've had a look at several other AFL club sites and most have their delisted, traded, retired players taken down

Auntie.Gerald
10th December 2018, 05:33 PM
700 or so player entries to update players stats

Copy and paste and check

Might take an 18 year old two days to data entry

It’s quite honestly unbelievable

They put a man on the moon in the 1960s !!!

Legs Akimbo
10th December 2018, 06:20 PM
For all those interested why the Swans website player profiles and numbers are not current, here is the official response from the Swans

"The players list in our CMS system is controlled by the AFL and relies on updated information from Champion Data so there’s nothing that can be done to fix it unfortunately. All clubs are in the same boat and all experience the same frustrations.

It’s an issue that happens every year that the AFL still hasn’t been able to resolve unfortunately but we have communicated our frustrations to the AFL."

I've had a look at several other AFL club sites and most have their delisted, traded, retired players taken down

This ia pure BS.

Legs Akimbo
10th December 2018, 06:25 PM

This ia pure BS.

Senior - essendonfc.com.au (http://m.essendonfc.com.au/teams/profiles/senior)

That is updated

liz
10th December 2018, 06:39 PM
I've had a look at some other clubs' sites. There is a bit of variation. Carlton have integrated their entire playing list into the headshots view, including players just drafted. St Kilda are behind Sydney in that they have removed departed players but haven't even added traded in players (like Hannebery), even without numbers. Other clubs (eg Hawthorn, Gold Coast) have integrated traded in players but not draftees.

Clearly the suggestion that cleaning up the front page of the players' section is dependent on Champion Data stats is, as Legs observes, BS.

And no amount of using Champion Data as a scapegoat can explain why no-one at the club has ever managed to muster the enthusiasm or energy to write even a basic bio for either Pink (two completed years on the list) or O'Riordan (three completed years on the list and three senior games played).

lwjoyner
11th December 2018, 10:51 AM
I think it did however tell us that Ronke and Fox on main list therefore we have 39. Does antone else read this.

The Big Cat
11th December 2018, 02:19 PM
Another of my bug bears is the person they get to interview players. It's nice to hear from the new players but would be even better if they didn't have to field questions like "how exciting was it for you to be drafted?" "How exciting is it to come to training with Buddy Franklin?"

I mean, how is a person meant to answer a question that begins "how exciting is it".

Interviews with players post game aren't any better. "How good was it to win tonight?" "How did you feel playing your role?"

Couldn't agree more, Liz. Questions like "How important was that goal that gave us the win?" "How important was it to snap that losing streak?" "How important was finishing with a higher score than them?" "How good was Buddy's six goals?" "How disappointing was it to lose to Gold Coast?" "How is AJ feeling after doing his sixth knee?" "How excited were you kicking seven goals on your first visit to the MCG?"

Meg
11th December 2018, 03:22 PM
I think it did however tell us that Ronke and Fox on main list therefore we have 39. Does antone else read this.

Yes, my arithmetic says the same so I think you are right.

ScottH
11th December 2018, 03:45 PM

We get real time stats during game time, but can't get players lists updated weeks after the draft??
Call me cynical!!

rickmat
11th December 2018, 03:57 PM
Here is the official reply from the AFL

Unfortunately, the information provided is not quite correct.

Clubs always have the ability to create and edit profiles. The information from Champion Data is mainly used for the stats, which would be empty for newly drafted players.

Please see Collingwood as an example, they created profiles for all their new drafted players.

Seniors - collingwoodfc.com.au (http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/players/seniors)

I've sent it onto the Swans but bet nothing will happen

Swanny40519
11th December 2018, 05:52 PM
Also if you look at the Club link and the Staff Listing - Andrew Ireland is still CEO, Tom Harley is still Football Manager and Rheece Shaw still with us coaching.

I would guess this would take a couple of minutes to update but it looks like when the season finishes so do all the staff ???

I don't think Champion Data control that stuff. But based on some of their ratings and recent press releases, I think they pull that info out of their proverbial.

rickmat
11th December 2018, 06:05 PM
Well, our complaints seem to have partly worked. All the traded, delisted and retired players are off the site, but there is still new recruits on senior list with 0 as their number and there are only 3 rookies now listed. Now we wait for the the whole site to be up-to-date. Swans really need a better social media / PR team to keep the coach and player info up to date. No excuse for what has happened on Pink profile for example

11th December 2018, 06:18 PM
If they are too short staffed I'm sure one of our IT savvy Sydney based people wouldn't mind going in for a few hours a couple of times over trade and drafting period and updating everything? I dare say that whoever volunteers could write a suitable piece for some of those players that don't have write ups!

I too have noticed some clubs delete players as soon as they are delisted/traded and add new ones as they come on board.

This is something that is so easy and basic, ffs Swans, just get it right in a timely manner!

CureTheSane
11th December 2018, 06:22 PM
Crazy that the club doesn't take advantage of fans with skills.
That said, I've looked into putting on volunteers (in ACT) and it's a pain in the ass.
A lot of paperwork and painfulness to endure, and then a bunch of conditions to adhere to.

Meg
11th December 2018, 06:39 PM
Yes they seem to be scrambling to update the website. But they’ve forgotten that the Swans app also lists the players. And the delisted players are still in the app list but the new players are not.

And to add to the sense that this is managed in a shambolic way, Toby Pink and Colin O’Riordan DO have (now out-of-date) bios in the app.

Meg
11th December 2018, 06:56 PM
Whoever writes the bios also needs a lesson in writing material which is not time specific.

For example Jackson Thurlow’s bio reads ‘Thurlow joined the Swans during the recent trade period in exchange for pick 70 with the Geelong Cats’.

That makes sense to the reader right now (just, the trade period already seems long ago). But in 6 months time ‘the recent trade period’ has no meaning. It should be written stating the specific year of the trade period so it is clear when read now and also when read much later.

liz
11th December 2018, 07:03 PM
And to add to the sense that this is managed in a shambolic way, Toby Pink and Colin O’Riordan DO have (now out-of-date) bios in the app.

Have they recently appeared? Or always been there. Still nothing in the main website. (I've never used the app). That, combined with your observation about the app still not reflecting the players who have left or joined during the trade period suggests that whoever manages the web content doesn't have a clue how to synchronise between the two versions (and/or doesn't give a @@@@). And either way, it doesn't reflect well how much of a @@@@ the club cares about its web content and delivery.

When I press "submit" I'll find out if the swear filter has edited out a two uses of a certain word in my paragraph (no swear filter evasion applied here) or whether it's determined that it's an OK word to use in polite company.

Meg
11th December 2018, 07:40 PM
Have they recently appeared? Or always been there. Still nothing in the main website. (I've never used the app). That, combined with your observation about the app still not reflecting the players who have left or joined during the trade period suggests that whoever manages the web content doesn't have a clue how to synchronise between the two versions (and/or doesn't give a @@@@). And either way, it doesn't reflect well how much of a @@@@ the club cares about its web content and delivery.

When I press "submit" I'll find out if the swear filter has edited out a two uses of a certain word in my paragraph (no swear filter evasion applied here) or whether it's determined that it's an OK word to use in polite company.

I can’t recall ever trying to read the bios before but they must have been written or updated before the beginning of last season. See wording below:

Toby Pink

‘The 19-year-old will be looking to take his game to a new level in season 2018 after showing promise in his first season with the Swans last year. Sydney picked up Pink in the 2017 Rookie Draft and he bagged 24 goals in 20 NEAFL games last season as the Swans charged to the grand final. The defensive pressure he displays in the forward line is an asset of his game but the Swans are looking to develop Pink into a more versatile player. He sometimes played as a backman in 2017 and held his own against a number of key forwards.

Draft history: 2017 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 54’

Colin O’Riordan

‘The Irishman and former Gaelic footballer will be pushing for his senior debut in 2018 after turning in two impressive seasons in the NEAFL. He hadn’t played AFL before he signed with the Swans at the end of 2015 but has since gone from strength-to-strength.

Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft international selection (Sydney) No. 69.’

And now I’m musing about which particular four-letter swear word/s you used! [emoji1787]

liz
11th December 2018, 08:05 PM
Sounds like the Pink and COR profiles are the same vintage as all the other player profiles that are up on the website. Since they can't even update the player page properly I very much doubt anyone will have gotten around to updating any of the profiles for the upcoming season.

And the word wasn't one of the especially naughty (or crude) ones. One that, had the swear filter not blanked it out, I wouldn't have been too embarrassed to be in my post, though nor am I disappointed it's been censored out.

dejavoodoo44
20th December 2018, 11:55 AM
Well, the good news is, we now have the current players on the app. The various pieces of bad news are: most of the bios, still seem to be written prior to the 2018 season; the players taken in the latest draft don't have pictures; some of them don't have bios, and for rookies, it states that they're rookie elevations, instead of being taken in the rookie draft.

I'm not sure why the club can't get this right? Did this year's work experience kid turn out to be a dud?

Meg
20th December 2018, 12:37 PM
It must be a current work in progress. I looked at app very recently (yesterday?) and the old players were still there. So the changes are very recent and presumably not finished. We should probably give them a break for a short while.

Although might be a good idea if they took Rhyce Shaw off the coaches list on the website ...... [emoji3525].

liz
31st December 2018, 08:11 AM
Does anyone get something other than a blank grey screen when they try to play the various highlights videos that the club has up on the website? The advertisement plays for me (usually those ultra-irritating Dexus ads), and then nothing.

ScottH
31st December 2018, 08:48 AM
Does anyone get something other than a blank grey screen when they try to play the various highlights videos that the club has up on the website? The advertisement plays for me (usually those ultra-irritating Dexus ads), and then nothing.

They don't work for me at all.

Meg
31st December 2018, 12:08 PM

Do you mean ‘the best of’ videos? They work just fine for me (except for some annoying background music).

liz
31st December 2018, 12:26 PM
Yes, them. What browser are you using? I'm using Microsoft Edge, which is hardly an obscure one.

It's not the first time I've had problems with playing videos from the site. None of the backstage interviews at the B&F dinner worked for me either. Yet it's not a consistent problem either. For example, the pre-season training videos, and the Andrew Ireland interview work fine.

Meg
31st December 2018, 12:38 PM
I’m viewing on iPad with default browser Safari. Just tried Chrome, works fine there as well. Also working for me in Firefox.

Ps: great videos! Roll on 2019!

liz
31st December 2018, 02:04 PM
Just tried with Chrome and still they don't work. So don't think it is a browser issue. No idea...

Meg
31st December 2018, 03:03 PM
Try the Swans app on your phone.

ScottH
31st December 2018, 03:49 PM
Just tried with Chrome and still they don't work. So don't think it is a browser issue. No idea...

I was using Chrome too, and they don't work.

EDIT: I've now tried Firefox and IE to no avail either.

firsty
31st December 2018, 03:51 PM
not working for me in Firefox or Chrome on a mac

dimelb
31st December 2018, 04:58 PM
Works fine on Safari on a Big Mac.

Meg
31st December 2018, 05:04 PM
Works fine on Safari on a Big Mac.

Do they also work on KFC?

Mel_C
31st December 2018, 11:33 PM
I tried one of the videos via the swans app using my android phone and it worked. It took awhile to load though.

dimelb
1st January 2019, 02:30 PM
Do they also work on KFC?

Nah. Chickened out.

rickmat
10th January 2019, 04:25 PM
Finally Rhyce Shaw is taken off the coaches on the website. I now asked when the pics for all the new players will be up as well as updated bios for all players. I guess I will be asking the same question this time next season, I did say that it was disrespectful to the players and showed the Swans were not up with the use of social media to promote and market the team to supporters, sponsors and followers

Meg
10th January 2019, 07:30 PM
Well done rickmat, stay on their backs. I agree with you that the Swans online presence is sloppy and unprofessional. Not acceptable in today’s digital world and should be easily improved with a suitably qualified staff member .... or even a young enthusiastic amateur who loves the online world.

I note that Kurt Tippett has disappeared altogether from the website although we know he is officially a member of the 2019 rookie list. Yet he remains listed as a player (with number 0) on the Swans app player list. Go figure!

bloodspirit
10th January 2019, 09:51 PM
I agree that generally Swans media team are disappointing. However to give them their due I have been impressed that they have been averaging at least one new item on their website daily even though it is a super quiet time of year. At the moment they are doing better than afl.com.au who presumably have many more staff.

Also today they were spruiking something ostensibly new called 'My Swans' which will apparently have additional exclusive content for dedicated fans. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it actually new? Is it any good?

Meg
10th January 2019, 11:36 PM
Also today they were spruiking something ostensibly new called 'My Swans' which will apparently have additional exclusive content for dedicated fans. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it actually new? Is it any good?

I’ve accessed that through the Swans app (link at bottom of screen). You actually log in through your Swans e-account. At the moment it’s a very limited selection of Swans-related emojis, wallpaper, ringtone (the Club song). Perhaps it will be added to over time but currently very little of interest to me.

I think it is Telstra-sponsored and so I suspect has been rolled out to each club, with content tailored accordingly. I don’t think it is a Swans initiative.

(I already have the classic photo of Adam Goodes sinking to his knees immediately after the 2012 GF siren as my phone wallpaper and I’m not changing that for quids!)

Mark26
22nd January 2019, 07:31 PM
Shoot me down now, but I'm enjoying the articles by Zach recently. Some of the lesser known players are getting due respect i.e. Maibaum (yesterday) and McInerney today. It's a good move to showcase other voices and hear their backstories. It might even instill confidence and a greater sense of belonging in some peripheral players too. Bring on the season!

S.S. Bleeder
22nd January 2019, 09:24 PM
Shoot me down now, but I'm enjoying the articles by Zach recently. Some of the lesser known players are getting due respect i.e. Maibaum (yesterday) and McInerney today. It's a good move to showcase other voices and hear their backstories. It might even instill confidence and a greater sense of belonging in some peripheral players too. Bring on the season!

I've never had an issue with the content of website. For the last few years I've had an issue with the player updates and to lesser extent the injury updates.

Nico
22nd January 2019, 10:33 PM
I find twitter pretty good. Get these stories on there very quickly. Better than checking the website, even if Sydney Swans is the only Twitter feed you have.

YvonneH
30th January 2019, 07:20 AM
no membership numbers up yet for 2019. Still showing last years total.
Not good enough in my opinion.

30th January 2019, 07:58 AM
no membership numbers up yet for 2019. Still showing last years total.
Not good enough in my opinion.Like a lot of outdated, or lack of on the website :-(

Wardy
3rd February 2019, 08:27 AM
Have they said why Allir wasn’t in the team photo yet??

stevoswan
3rd February 2019, 06:52 PM

Got there late and was banished to the NEAFL team photo......:rofl:

Aaron
3rd February 2019, 06:58 PM

Yes, Allir was not seen in any of these team photos on Twitter too. All the other 44 players were there. (Tippet not there though for the second time ). Wow, another alarm clock malfunction? It is serious ! Will the Club explain?

rickmat
13th February 2019, 11:56 AM
Yeah, all the pics of the new players are up on website, even Pink's pic is showing. Now to wait for all the bios to be updated. But that could take another lifetime!!!

bloodspirit
13th February 2019, 01:31 PM
I note that bouquets and brickbats on this front appear to be due to Shane Potter, Digital Media Mangler, and the person who appears to be his boss, Jordan Laing, Media and Public Relations Mangler. Maybe they tripped over in the Moore Park Triangle and have been having graduated returns to work.

Meg
13th February 2019, 02:35 PM
Yeah, all the pics of the new players are up on website, even Pink's pic is showing. Now to wait for all the bios to be updated. But that could take another lifetime!!!

But no photos for Reynolds, Tucker & Wicks on the app. Tippett still listed on app (number 0 no photo) but not on website.

And nearly all the bios have been updated - so perhaps they are getting close to the finish of the updating ....

Auntie.Gerald
14th February 2019, 03:10 PM
It is absolutely remarkable

They put a human in the moon in the 1960s but the Sydney swans site can not dedicate a person for a couple of days to cut and paste and edit the player profiles