PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat AFL and mental illness

YvonneH
18th December 2018, 09:06 PM
My thoughts go out to Majak Daw.
What more can the AFL do for mental illness? A genuine question.

Moriarty
18th December 2018, 09:19 PM
Personally I believe it is up to all of us, society, to do more, not just the employer of an individual.
We make up the fabric of society of which everyone is a part, regardless of what kind of work they do. We need to look out more for one another.

stevoswan
18th December 2018, 10:49 PM
My thoughts go out to Majak Daw.
What more can the AFL do for mental illness? A genuine question.

Maybe not the AFL (because they usually @@@@ things up) but all clubs must have a full time psychologist and a dedicated programme to address these issues when they arise. The players must know if they have any issues they can immediately turn to someone, without fear of judgement, for support and assistance.

The issue of mental health requires far more resources dedicated to it in footy clubs and even more in society in general. We can't have young footballers dealing with things in silence and jumping off bridges. It's not good enough.....

It came as little surprise to me that not all AFL clubs have a full time psychologist according to an ABC report. In this day and age in a high stakes professional sport, that just doesn't make sense. If Majak Daw's plight doesn't shake things up in this area, there's something wrong.

CureTheSane
19th December 2018, 01:52 AM
I was very critical of the swans not having a psychologist on board years ago.
Not even for serious issues, but just to be able to bring out the best in players. Work with them and help them get to their best.
No idea if the Swans ever got one...

As far Schwass and his comments, didn't he deal with some mental health issues?
Not sure if this allows him to be the best person to present his POV, as it is biased from this as well as his PUKA UP association.
Daw playing for North also doesn't help.
Or maybe all of that makes what he has to say more relevant?
I'm not sure.

Regardless, I don't know what responsibility the AFL bears in this area.
People, including myself, love to say "this is their workplace, which just happened to put them in the public eye"
So should the AFL have more responsibility to mental health then other businesses? And what degree should the clubs have?
What plans are in place? Are allocated funds being spent wisely? Should there be someone to oversee this and make sure all clubs are ticking the right boxes?

bloodspirit
19th December 2018, 07:05 AM
As far as I am aware, most clubs employ psychologists, usually sports psychologists. In the Swans case I believe we prefer a clinical psychologist.

YvonneH
19th December 2018, 07:26 AM
As far as I am aware, most clubs employ psychologists, usually sports psychologists. In the Swans case I believe we prefer a clinical psychologist.

If this is the case maybe the club should do a video on him/her. This would be perfect timing.
A few years ago I think they did videos on some of the club staff (i.e. physio etc) but I could be wrong.

AnnieH
19th December 2018, 09:08 AM
My heart is breaking for Majak. I just hope he gets all the help he needs.
Aliir re-posted a photo of them after the game this year, and it's still one of my favourite photos of the year.

barry
19th December 2018, 12:06 PM
When the media reports it as a "fall" and not a suicide attempt, it shows how far we still have to go.

Odysseus
19th December 2018, 12:44 PM
When the media reports it as a "fall" and not a suicide attempt, it shows how far we still have to go.

I understand where you're coming from on this, Barry, but don't agree. It's a difficult matter. There is, properly, sensitivity about broadcasting too loudly and clearly the idea of suicide; the possibility that this may become a factor in others, perhaps especially younger people, copying the example is a legitimate concern. I tend to think that media have become more careful, rightly, about this over a number of years.

Where I think the media is reprehensible is when a news outlet reveals personal details that they have become aware of, and within a few paragraphs, simply quote North president Ben Buckley's appeal for privacy, as if they themselves were being responsible and not acting in a spirit exactly to the contrary of that appeal.

AnnieH
19th December 2018, 01:03 PM

I understand where you're coming from on this, Barry, but don't agree. It's a difficult matter. There is, properly, sensitivity about broadcasting too loudly and clearly the idea of suicide; the possibility that this may become a factor in others, perhaps especially younger people, copying the example is a legitimate concern. I tend to think that media have become more careful, rightly, about this over a number of years.

Where I think the media is reprehensible is when a news outlet reveals personal details that they have become aware of, and within a few paragraphs, simply quote North president Ben Buckley's appeal for privacy, as if they themselves were being responsible and not acting in a spirit exactly to the contrary of that appeal.

You've put me between a rock and hard place.
I can see both your points (OMG... what's happening!!).
The media should report it as a suicide attempt (which is what it is) instead of sweeping it under the carpet and calling it something else. This doesn't help the mental health cause.
Sometimes we need to point out the obvious so that people can talk about it freely and remove the stigma attached to it.
On the other hand, copy-cat is a legitimate concern... but I don't think a concern enough that it will sway someone one way or the other.
Society needs to talk about these things honestly and openly - remove the stigma - and try to help people who desperately need it.

If it was someone other than Majak, that is, an ordinary Joe Blow like you and I, we probably wouldn't be talking about it.
The more we talk, the more we can do.

Odysseus
19th December 2018, 01:09 PM
Personally I believe it is up to all of us, society, to do more, not just the employer of an individual.
We make up the fabric of society of which everyone is a part, regardless of what kind of work they do. We need to look out more for one another.

I think this is a great comment.

At my own workplace I recently wrote to the OH&S committee to draw its attention to the fact that every time OH&S issues are spoken of, it's always at the level of "make sure the cables aren't a tripping hazard, don't climb unless you've got a ladder license..." and never a word about mental health. At a conference I attended a few weeks ago, a speaker pointed out that even acknowledging "stress" within a workplace can be problematic, because the implication may be that it's the fault of the individual if they aren't coping with the stress. I think Moriarty is spot on, that we can't leave it to others (even to the psychologist).

I thought the way the club handled Buddy's mental health a couple of years back was exemplary. From my vantage point on the outside, they put no pressure on him to resume playing in a hurry, and likewise with "Reg" this year. This is one thing Longmire gets right - even if we are critical of his tactical nous. Dane Rampe referred to his own emotional intelligence, and it's great that his leadership is acknowledged.

Those with an interest in the GO foundation will probably be aware of the region where the highest suicide rates in the country are found. https://theconversation.com/indigenous-suicide-rates-in-the-kimberley-seven-times-national-average-61502

Odysseus
19th December 2018, 01:15 PM
You've put me between a rock and hard place.
I can see both your points (OMG... what's happening!!).
The media should report it as a suicide attempt (which is what it is) instead of sweeping it under the carpet and calling it something else. This doesn't help the mental health cause.
Sometimes we need to point out the obvious so that people can talk about it freely and remove the stigma attached to it.
On the other hand, copy-cat is a legitimate concern... but I don't think a concern enough that it will sway someone one way or the other.
Society needs to talk about these things honestly and openly - remove the stigma - and try to help people who desperately need it.

If it was someone other than Majak, that is, an ordinary Joe Blow like you and I, we probably wouldn't be talking about it.
The more we talk, the more we can do.

Fine post, Annie. Even if you don't completely agree with me! I work with teenagers, so that probably skews my thinking. I just don't know how we can remove the stigma that attaches to mental health issues, and at the same time cater for younger people whose ability to process life problems may not be as well-formed as it will become in full adulthood.

barry
19th December 2018, 01:32 PM

I dont buy it really. The media use sensationlism all the time. "Murder", "Rape", etc. Young people can copy that too right ?

wedge.maverick
19th December 2018, 01:49 PM
I dont buy it really. The media use sensationlism all the time. "Murder", "Rape", etc. Young people can copy that too right ?

Our Psychologist received a Life Membership this year. We've obviously been over this for quite a while.

Grant Bercht
Brecht is a pioneer in the mental wellbeing space in the AFL industry having started with the Swans as Club Psychologist in 2001, a position he held until 2017. His role within the Club was elevated in 2007 when he became an in-house consultant working closely with players and their families on mental health issues.

CureTheSane
19th December 2018, 01:50 PM

Nah.
If anything it makes it more 'taboo' and possibly brings a mystique to it, but avoiding dealing with the word.
Suicide is suicide. If that word is going to condemned as somehow inciting others, then simply say "attempt to take his own life"
It's just the media trying to appear sensitive whilst also relishing in being the bearer of bad news.
I find it fascinating when the media sensitively state that 'the family requests privacy', as they are saying this while drawing attention to what has happened.

Anyway, I'm sure it was initially labeled as a fall because people didn't know at the time, and there was a chance that there were shenanigans afoot and horseplay and a fall, as remote as that would have been even at the time.
It seems to be an attempted suicide, likely the end of him as a player, if not through the injuries, then other reasons.
It's sad, but no sadder than any other person who does the same thing that is unreported or a footnote somewhere.

Odysseus
19th December 2018, 03:41 PM

They can copy those, too. Whether they can cope is another matter. That the media use sensationalism all the time is hardly out of consideration for community mental health; I'm merely saying that in relation to the question of suicide, I think it is good that the media has shown greater sensitivity in regard to using the word "suicide", because I think words matter. At the same time, while I'm not in the "suicide is suicide" camp in regard to the use of language, I deplore their use of sensationalism on this issue:

I find it fascinating when the media sensitively state that 'the family requests privacy', as they are saying this while drawing attention to what has happened.

Agreed. For "fascinating" in an earlier post I used the word "reprehensible".

CureTheSane
19th December 2018, 04:46 PM
Agreed. For "fascinating" in an earlier post I used the word "reprehensible".

Yes, poor choice of words. Nothing is surprising or fascinating any more.
TBH, I don't read the papers or watch the new at all any more.
Only way I know what's going on in the world if word of mouth or Facebook.
For instance that Laverne & Shirley actor died today. I know because a few people posted it. :)

stevoswan
19th December 2018, 06:05 PM
Only way I know what's going on in the world is word of mouth or Facebook.

Whoa! That will really give you an accurate and balanced view of the world.......not! :tongue: :wink:

CureTheSane
19th December 2018, 06:14 PM
Whoa! That will really give you an accurate and balanced view of the world.......not! :tongue: :wink:

100% it won't
But my life is happy.
The news is full of bad news. Why get depressed for half an hour every night.
Sometimes I wonder what new laws and road rules have come in that I should know about :)

ScottH
20th December 2018, 08:53 AM

The two you mention are crimes.
Suicide is not a crime. It is the last hope for some people. Which is pretty sad that things can get to that. And it is never publicised, but it is always obvious as they have the usual Lifeline, Beyodblue phone numbers at the end of the article.

We have been dealing with the mental health system for the 4 years now.
It is the worst experience. Not just for the person going through it, but the lack of real care and help.

Lifeline, Headspace etc can only do so much, and in our experience have not been of great help. one stating there was nothing more than could do. WTF????
The MHS is broken in a big way and everone knows it, but no one wil fix it.
There is a long way to go to fix it, but there are some very obvious fixes from our perspective that could be implemented quite easily.
Not sure why some of the health professionals can't get things changed.

Even Travel Insurance has a diclaimer for mental health as we found out when we needed it.

It always saddens me to hear young (or any age) people getting to this stage.
I hope he recovers physically and gets the right care for his mind.

dimelb
20th December 2018, 10:30 AM
A friend of mine is a child psychiatrist and trainer of psychiatrists. He says the single biggest issue with the MHS is that they are not funding early enough with the result, to use an old comparison, that the emphasis is on the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff instead of the fence at the top. I'm pleased to know - according to another comment on this site - that the Swans have a clinical psychologist rather than a sports psychologist. No offence to sports psychologists, they can do a lot of good, but it seems to me that many of the problems are triggered long before the youngster gets into organised sport.

The other possibility is psychotherapy, which is not restricted to medically trained therapists. The main discouragement is often the length of time taken, but perseverance aided by support from the club could achieve significant change.

barry
20th December 2018, 10:35 AM
Lifeline, Headspace etc can only do so much, and in our experience have not been of great help. one stating there was nothing more than could do. WTF????

You get that in all streams of medicine. They reach a limit of what they are prepared to do.

Even Travel Insurance has a diclaimer for mental health as we found out when we needed it.

This is where the real stigma lies. The risk of asking for help is that it will effect other parts of your life.

It always saddens me to hear young (or any age) people getting to this stage.
I hope he recovers physically and gets the right care for his mind

Very true.

barry
20th December 2018, 10:40 AM
100% it won't
But my life is happy.
The news is full of bad news. Why get depressed for half an hour every night.
Sometimes I wonder what new laws and road rules have come in that I should know about :)

Old media is in a death spiral. Even old blokes like me rarely read a paper or watch tv news. Used to be daily occurances back in my youf. Old media gets more sensational and more morbid to try and retain viewers.

A healthy society has a broad selection of news sources. This is getting almost impossible as now the internet tailors the news shown to you by your preferences. Which just polorised people's view even more.

Blood Fever
20th December 2018, 10:43 AM
You get that in all streams of medicine. They reach a limit of what they are prepared to do.

This is where the real stigma lies. The risk of asking for help is that it will effect other parts of your life.

Very true.

Notice some very disturbing reports about the side effects, in some cases, of stilnox which apparently he had been using.

rb4x
20th December 2018, 12:10 PM
Stillnox was the drug that our swimmers played up with at the London Olympics and which probably cost The Missile a gold medal. Melatonin was the drug that cost Sharapova a ban in tennis. Both drugs need to be treated with respect and certainly not used in combination.

In the Mental Health First Aid course I did we were advised to talk to people that you believe are suicidal and that it is OK after establishing a rapport to ask them directly if they are considering suicide. Most apparently are happy to talk about it and you can then show them how to get help. Fortunately I have never had to put this into practice.

ScottH
20th December 2018, 12:13 PM

Unfortunately, being turned away from MHS doesn't end well in many cases.

The issue I had is that if you seek medical assistance for a physical issue, the claim would be paid.
Once Mental health is mentioned, sorry you are on your own. The claim was under $200 and they still refused.

I lost a plastic piece of camera equipment on a recent trip worth $50, got paid out within a week.
This is just wrong on so many levels.

ScottH
20th December 2018, 12:23 PM
Notice some very disturbing reports about the side effects, in some cases, of stilnox which apparently he had been using.

As I found out recently some people metabolise drugs in different ways.
A DNA test will assess what drugs your body can and can't cope with.

We found Valium had no effect, as it was metabolised too quickly.
It was the first drug of choice issued. Makes sense now why it had no effect.
Where as other people will be knocked out for hours by it.

And yes, side effects are less than what they used to be years ago, but some people will be different.

Blood Fever
20th December 2018, 02:37 PM
As I found out recently some people metabolise drugs in different ways.
A DNA test will assess what drugs your body can and can't cope with.

We found Valium had no effect, as it was metabolised too quickly.
It was the first drug of choice issued. Makes sense now why it had no effect.
Where as other people will be knocked out for hours by it.

And yes, side effects are less than what they used to be years ago, but some people will be different.

There was a case in Sydney some years ago where a young woman jumped off harbour bridge and died. Her family were adamant that stilnox payed a big role in that people sleep walk and are not fully aware of what they are doing. Not an isolated case as I understand it. Only speculating, but may have similarities.

ScottH
20th December 2018, 03:15 PM
There was a case in Sydney some years ago where a young woman jumped off harbour bridge and died. Her family were adamant that stilnox payed a big role in that people sleep walk and are not fully aware of what they are doing. Not an isolated case as I understand it. Only speculating, but may have similarities.

Very, very scary.
I'm sure there have been other cases for Stilnox in recent years as well.

I have always been wary of these drugs. Glad we have had to deal with that one.
The ones in use for our circumstances seem to be doing there job without side effects...... So Far.

AnnieH
21st December 2018, 10:22 AM

The news people only tell you the news that THEY think you should know.
I don't watch the news either.
I read Fairfax online and get the rest of my "news" from other people's feeds.
It's the way of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

The two you mention are crimes.
Suicide is not a crime. It is the last hope for some people. Which is pretty sad that things can get to that. And it is never publicised, but it is always obvious as they have the usual Lifeline, Beyodblue phone numbers at the end of the article.

Suicide IS a chargeable offence in NSW - if you survive the attempt.
I know... what the what????

barry
21st December 2018, 12:46 PM

If it is, that is the weirdest law Ive heard of. Are they trying to discourage suicide by making it unlawful ? lol.

What I have heard, and this may not be correct, is that life insurance policies do not pay out on Suicide. Another anomaly.
Correction: This may be a myth. After a bit of googling, apparently most life insurance policies do pay out on suicide in australia.

Bloods05
21st December 2018, 01:31 PM
If it is, that is the weirdest law Ive heard of. Are they trying to discourage suicide by making it unlawful ? lol.

What I have heard, and this may not be correct, is that life insurance policies do not pay out on Suicide. Another anomaly.
Correction: This may be a myth. After a bit of googling, apparently most life insurance policies do pay out on suicide in australia.

Suicide has been removed from the criminal code only in relatively recent times in most Australian jurisdictions.

ScottH
21st December 2018, 02:32 PM

Really????

So you are screwed either way??

AnnieH
21st December 2018, 02:48 PM
Really???? So you are screwed either way??

Yep. It's awful.

S.S. Bleeder
21st December 2018, 09:30 PM
Why is it the responsibility of the employer to look after the psychological welfare of their employees? Employers are responsible for the interactions within the workplace, ie. harassment, bullying, etc. They are not responsible for the general mental health of employees.

As the owner of a small business, the opinion of society that employers are responsible for their employees outside the workplace is a worrying trend. Of course the AFL is a large and profitable entity, but how long will it be before this expectation spreads to small and medium businesses as history has shown?

S.S. Bleeder
21st December 2018, 09:40 PM
Nah.
If anything it makes it more 'taboo' and possibly brings a mystique to it, but avoiding dealing with the word.
Suicide is suicide. If that word is going to condemned as somehow inciting others, then simply say "attempt to take his own life"
It's just the media trying to appear sensitive whilst also relishing in being the bearer of bad news.

Anyway, I'm sure it was initially labeled as a fall because people didn't know at the time, and there was a chance that there were shenanigans afoot and horseplay and a fall, as remote as that would have been even at the time.
It seems to be an attempted suicide, likely the end of him as a player, if not through the injuries, then other reasons.
It's sad, but no sadder than any other person who does the same thing that is unreported or a footnote somewhere.

+1. There seems to be a belief that this incident is more important than the 50 others that occur each week because he is either an AFL player or a high profile Sudanese.

I'm sure that it was initially labelled as a fall as to label it as suicide if it wasn't the case would have been very problematic.

Meg
22nd December 2018, 11:56 AM
Just to correct something said earlier in this thread - attempted suicide is not a criminal offence in NSW (or in any other state in Australia). It was decriminalised in NSW sometime in the last 50 years (although I don’t know exactly when).

See: CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 31A

The rule of law that it is a crime for a person to commit, or to attempt to commit, suicide is abrogated.

‘Suicide and attempted suicide are no longer crimes in NSW, so the survivor of a suicide pact will not be guilty of murder or manslaughter. However, there are two offences connected with suicide. One offence is aiding or abetting a suicide or attempted suicide; a person found guilty may be liable to up to 10 years’ imprisonment. The other offence is inciting or counselling someone to commit suicide; the penalty is up to five years’ imprisonment. It is legal to use ‘reasonable’ force to prevent another person from committing suicide.’

Suicide | State Library of NSW (https://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/rest-assured-legal-guide-wills-estates-and-funerals/suicide)

I also came across an article which I think makes some interesting points about the importance of the language we use in discussing suicide and the impact such language can have on anyone who is suffering with suicidal thoughts.

This includes not using the word ‘commit’ as in ‘he attempted to commit suicide’, a verb which implies doing something criminal (e.g. compare with ‘he attempted to commit murder’). Various alternative phrases which don’t imply doing something shameful are suggested, such as ‘he attempted to take his own life’.

http://www.southsydneyherald.com.au/language-matters-when-it-comes-to-suicide/

Bloods05
22nd December 2018, 02:14 PM
Why is it the responsibility of the employer to look after the psychological welfare of their employees? Employers are responsible for the interactions within the workplace, ie. harassment, bullying, etc. They are not responsible for the general mental health of employees.

As the owner of a small business, the opinion of society that employers are responsible for their employees outside the workplace is a worrying trend. Of course the AFL is a large and profitable entity, but how long will it be before this expectation spreads to small and medium businesses as history has shown?

The sooner the better. We're all responsible for each other. Whether that expectation needs to be expressed through legislation and institutional change is another matter entirely. Personally I would prefer it to be achieved through cultural change, which is a far more amorphous concept, and harder to achieve . But it can't happen soon enough. The idea that we are all little self-sufficient islands is incredibly destructive, to both social cohesion and psychological health.

Nico
24th December 2018, 09:26 AM

I worked in the life insurance industry for 28 years. My memory is the policy has to be going for at least 13 months to pay out on suicide. I would reckon these days suicide would be much more scrutinised at the underwriting stage. On the publishing of suicide and attempted suicides; my daughter works in the mental health sector, specialising in adolescent psychosis, and she told me that the media have not been allowed for many years to publish anything to do with suicide. On radio they will say there is a "police incident" on a freeway or railway line etc

Nico
24th December 2018, 09:30 AM
+1. There seems to be a belief that this incident is more important than the 50 others that occur each week because he is either an AFL player or a high profile Sudanese.

I'm sure that it was initially labelled as a fall as to label it as suicide if it wasn't the case would have been very problematic.

This one got prominence because it was deemed newsworthy,

ScottH
24th December 2018, 10:32 AM
This one got prominence because it was deemed newsworthy,

I think it would have been deemed newsworthy regardless.
It got traction due to the person being known publically.

stevoswan
11th February 2019, 02:59 PM
Majak Daw making positive progress which is nice to see.:smile: All the best to him.

Daw takes part in Kangaroos' 2019 team photo - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-11/daw-takes-part-in-kangaroos-2019-team-photo)

stevoswan
1st March 2019, 05:32 PM
Now it's Brian Lake.....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/brian-lake-receiving-treatment-for-ongoing-mental-health-challenges-20190228-p510x0.html

I know he's not too popular amongst Swans fans and I don't like him too much either but I still wish him well with this battle.....as I do anyone facing mental health challenges.

Melbourne_Blood
2nd March 2019, 05:42 PM
Now it's Brian Lake.....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/brian-lake-receiving-treatment-for-ongoing-mental-health-challenges-20190228-p510x0.html

I know he's not too popular amongst Swans fans and I don't like him too much either but I still wish him well with this battle.....as I do anyone facing mental health challenges.

The thing that worries me , and without presuming to know what is going on , is that there seems to be a pattern recently of people with some Fame getting involved in pretty average behaviour , and then coming out as suffering a mental illness as some sort of justification for that behaviour . There is two reasons it concerns me . 1. Is mental health being used a scapegoat for people exhibiting poor behaviour / choices / self control? and 2. It now creates a connection between mental illnesses and drunken violence , infidelity etc. etc. - mental illness is something pretty close to my heart , I have lived with family, friends and partners ( and myself ) who suffer from it in different ways and varying levels of severity for my whole life . It certainly can contribute to other behaviours , no question. The thought that it is potentially being used by some to shield them from criticism and consequences of their wayward behaviour makes me pretty angry . Again, not saying this is the case here , but it does seem to be more common for someone behaving poorly and getting heat from the media to come out and reveal their struggles with mental health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meg
2nd March 2019, 07:17 PM
I understand what MB is saying above. Equally and possibly relevant to the Lake story, there is a lot of evidence that a large number of high profile sports people who do not have strong post-playing career plans in place, suffer depression, and sometimes turn to undesirable lifestyles, after retirement.

rb4x
2nd March 2019, 08:33 PM
I saw a report that players who are pinged for recreational drug taking have a loophole whereby they can escape sanction if they can get a doctor to certify a mental illness. Leads me to wonder if some of these short holidays for mental health issues are not sometimes a cover for a drug strike.

Melbourne_Blood
2nd March 2019, 08:47 PM
I understand what MB is saying above. Equally and possibly relevant to the Lake story, there is a lot of evidence that a large number of high profile sports people who do not have strong post-playing career plans in place, suffer depression, and sometimes turn to undesirable lifestyles, after retirement.

Thanks Meg , I Completely understand that as well , which is why it is tricky thing to comment on. I don’t want to believe people would stoop so low to exploit something that effects so many lives and , frankly , ends many lives. I have no evidence to suggest anyone has done so , I just fear it is something that could be happening in some cases. For example the Garry Lyon situation . To be involved in something pretty poor morally and to then in that controversy reveal a mental health struggle , as some sort of justification for said behaviour ?? Really ? If he is battling mental demons , why choose that moment to reveal it , as if it justifies that behaviour ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevoswan
4th April 2019, 09:29 PM
It gets worse for Brian Lake.....

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/hawthorn-premiership-winner-brian-lake-arrested-held-in-custody-20190404-p51ayo.html

stevoswan
3rd July 2019, 07:04 PM
Great to see Majak Daw returning to footy via the VFL this week.....congratulations and continued good health to him.

On the other hand, not good to see Dayne Beams struggling at the moment.....indeed, all the best to him, I hope he gets to a far better place in life (and secondly, back to footy).

UPDATE: Injured Magpie 'a broken man', takes mental health break - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-03/magpies-star-steps-away-from-the-club-for-mental-health-break)

stevoswan
14th November 2019, 10:08 PM
Nice piece on former Swan and Magpie Sam Murray on his attempts to return to AFL and his own battle with mental health.

Ex-Pie opens up on drug ban, family tragedy and mental health battle - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-14/delisted-pie-sam-murray-opens-up-on-drug-ban-family-tragedy-and-mental-health-battle)

I hope he gets picked up but if he doesn't, it sounds like he'll be ok.

Ruck'n'Roll
15th November 2019, 09:50 AM
There's a tendency to equate mental illness with depressive conditions. So that depression sucks up the majority of media attention, support services and funding.

Even with that concentration of effort, it seems to be insufficient too deal with that aspect of mental illness.

Other conditions get even less attention. And some of them are far more debilitating and pose a greater threat to society as a whole.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder, for example.

While the actions of Anders Breivik eventually caught up with him, and perhaps so too will Donald Trump's. Such examples are just the tip of an iceberg. Most of us have probably run across bosses/co-workers/partners that exhibit the classic symptoms, indeed a single narcissist can have an extremely divisive effect in a football team - or even a tiny community like RWO.

Bloods05
15th November 2019, 11:29 AM
There's a tendency to equate mental illness with depressive conditions. So that depression sucks up the majority of media attention, support services and funding.

Even with that concentration of effort, it seems to be insufficient too deal with that aspect of mental illness.

Other conditions get even less attention. And some of them are far more debilitating and pose a greater threat to society as a whole.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder, for example.

While the actions of Anders Breivik eventually caught up with him, and perhaps so too will Donald Trump's. Such examples are just the tip of an iceberg. Most of us have probably run across bosses/co-workers/partners that exhibit the classic symptoms, indeed a single narcissist can have an extremely divisive effect in a football team - or even a tiny community like RWO.

We've had a few on RWO over the years, but fortunately we've weeded out nearly all of them.