F: Rankine Burgess Ainsworth
Foll: Witts Swallow Martin

Int: AhChee Collins Dawson Bowes Joyce MacPherson Day Fiorini
Emg: Powell Heron Young Miles

In: Hanley Hombsch Day Dawson
Out: Lemmens Miles Horlin-Smith Powell

wolftone57
8th March 2019, 09:29 AM
Be interesting to see what Longmire does if Sun's get a run on like they did last year. Longmire's response last year was to just shut the game down.

I am a bit skeptical about Rose but I suppose he has to give those who have been knocking at the door a try. I am also a bit disappointed we did not get to see more of Rowbottom.

In theory this should be a pretty good and competitive side. I won't be able to see this as I have a birthday party tto attend. So will be looking at updates. Unfortunately that will not give me any idea who is playing well and how our set ups are working.

Winning these games is not the be all and end all. It is how you go about winning and losing that is the key. We need to play a certain brand of footy. The dour, negative, lots of stoppages, hard fought score is a frightening and energy sapping style to play. Always losing the clearances and having to attack from deep in defence all the time must drain the energy reserves.

I hope we see some form of system and attacking footy Sunday

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

mattybloods
8th March 2019, 09:58 AM
We're fielding a strong side. I know JLT means nothing but you would expect that side to dominate the suns

Rod_
8th March 2019, 11:10 AM
IMO if we play ‘strong’ will it be a strong side. On paper agree 100%.
My thoughts are the no injuries, systems and structures game plan will be on offer.

While I am hopeful for a ‘stronger’ effort and serve up a reminder that we are more than capable.

However we seem to offer less than this in most pre seasons. (And in September who give a hoot on who won pre season games.)

ugg
10th March 2019, 12:12 PM
Sinclair and Lloyd out replaced by Wicks and Rowbottom

Firstly I hope it’s just precautionary. Secondly, I guess Aliir will be the main ruck today

Starting benches

Rose Clarke Thurlow Rowbottom Jones McInerney Fox Wicks

Miles Bowes Fiorini AhChee Young King Heron Macpherson

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 12:22 PM
Sinclair and Lloyd out replaced by Wicks and Rowbottom

Firstly I hope it’s just precautionary. Secondly, I guess Aliir will be the main ruck today

Starting benches

Rose Clarke Thurlow Rowbottom Jones McInerney Fox Wicks

Miles Bowes Fiorini AhChee Young King Heron Macpherson

That's unfortunate. And yes, I suppose that Aliir will be our main ruckman today, even though the AFL site has Reid listed there. Don't know if I want to see the seemingly fragile Reid, spending too much time in the middle. Aliir might provide a bit of dash, though.

MattW
10th March 2019, 12:39 PM
I wonder whether Sinclair was withdrawn for precautionary reasons, given Naismith and Cameron (likely, from what we can tell) are unavailable in round 1. The fact that a reason was given for Lloyd's withdrawal (illness), but not Sinclair's withdrawal may support this.

bloodspirit
10th March 2019, 12:50 PM
1. What's up with Cameron?

2. Still no Tom McCartin. Despite the fact that he's meant to be fine.

ugg, your suggestion about why Sinclair has been withdrawn makes sense. Suddenly we feel very skinny in the ruck department.

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 01:03 PM
Why Wicks has been added to the team and not Toby Pink is mind boggling considering our ruck options and his height and ability to pinch hit in there.

But I guess I must have no idea...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mel_C
10th March 2019, 01:07 PM
1. What's up with Cameron?

2. Still no Tom McCartin. Despite the fact that he's meant to be fine.

ugg, your suggestion about why Sinclair has been withdrawn makes sense. Suddenly we feel very skinny in the ruck department.

Cameron injured his knee in the GWS practice match a couple of weeks back. McCartin only started back training during the week so he is probably not match ready yet.

It will be interesting how we go in the ruck today.

ugg
10th March 2019, 01:13 PM
Heeney off after falling awkwardly in the first play of the game.

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 01:16 PM
On the AFL website Keiren Jack is listed amongst our noticeable absentees (along with Buddy, Nick Smith etc).

I'm curious to hear what other RWOers think of this as I'm leaning of the belief that Jack should no longer be considered a best 22 player if we are serious about becoming a better team in 2019.

Of note Menzel isn't listed amongst our noticeable absentees...lol.

ugg
10th March 2019, 01:22 PM
The youngsters shining early on. Blakey, Rowbottom, and McInerney.

Foreign Legion
10th March 2019, 01:22 PM
Few bad fumbles so far. Blakey looking very balanced for a big bloke.

MattW
10th March 2019, 01:23 PM
Blakey will play round 1; reckon he'll at least match McCartin's 15 games.

Foreign Legion
10th March 2019, 01:27 PM
Blakey will play round 1; reckon he'll at least match McCartin's 15 games.

Yep he is a certainty for round 1.

ugg
10th March 2019, 01:27 PM
Heeney back. Looks like Mills in defence today with Jones playing inside midfield

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 01:30 PM
The youngsters shining early on. Blakey, Rowbottom, and McInerney.And it's no surprise to see our skill level up as its these young guys who seem to be our most skilled and best decision makers coming through, which sadly, a lot of our regular senior players lack.

Foreign Legion
10th March 2019, 01:32 PM
Would be good to see Reid take a few marks on the lead - he is not making great position now.

Mel_C
10th March 2019, 01:34 PM
Aliir and Fox have been in the ruck so far.

I really don't understand how we turn the ball over under no pressure. Can't they see the Gold Coast player is there?

Heeney is back on after having his ankle strapped but I haven't seen him much.

A few dropped marks from both sides.

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 01:37 PM
Aliir and Fox have been in the ruck so far.

I really don't understand how we turn the ball over under no pressure. Can't they see the Gold Coast player is there?

Heeney is back on after having his ankle strapped but I haven't seen him much.

A few dropped marks from both sides.Some woeful skill execusion so far. Luckily we are playing a very young inexperienced Gold Coast as they are not making us pay for the most part.

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 01:44 PM
Some woeful skill execusion so far. Luckily we are playing a very young inexperienced Gold Coast as they are not making us pay for the most part.

Sent from my SM-G975F using TapatalkI guess they have made us pay after all...

Auntie.Gerald
10th March 2019, 01:45 PM
Hard to watch

Positive Justin McInerney - smooth decision maker and a surprising bonus for our squad ...... he could apply serious pressure for a best 22 spot as he is making the most of it

AB Swannie
10th March 2019, 01:48 PM
Melican is no round 1 certainty. He’s a good player but looks to lack confidence so far in these JLT games and may need a few games dominating in NEAFL.

rb4x
10th March 2019, 01:49 PM
If Fox is in ruck he has zero hit outs plus Witts-Aliir is now 17-4

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 01:50 PM
Good first half of the quarter, not so good second half. I liked Jones spending more time as an outside mid. Sort of like Hannebery, but able to run and maneuver. Papley was good and McInerney looks like being a good pick up.

Foreign Legion
10th March 2019, 01:50 PM
Melican is no round 1 certainty. He’s a good player but looks to lack confidence so far in these JLT games and may need a few games dominating in NEAFL.

Melican and Reid are both bordeline for round 1. If Reid can't ruck its hard to pick him if Buddy is fit. Mills just starting to look better.

frankee
10th March 2019, 01:52 PM
Seems like a deliberate plan to kick to targets. Lowering the eyes. Not coming off, But pleasing to see.

Is this a change in game plan?

Nico

Agree. Their first 3 goals came from his mistakes. Slow, dropping marks, turnovers. Not the only one in the backline. Thurlow doesn't seem to read the ball coming in a did a woeful turnover for a goal. O'Riordan continues to drop marks and fumble. Backline problems abound. Clark gets it but slaughters the footy by foot. Rest were ok.

Mel_C
Bad turnovers again have cost us goals.

We seem slow in the backline.

Reid is still rusty. Seems to be dropping marks that he normally takes.

Very hot conditions by the looks of things.

aardvark
10th March 2019, 01:54 PM
How dumb is Clarke? I hope Horse hasn't promised him a game.

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 01:56 PM
Melican and Reid are both bordeline for round 1. If Reid can't ruck its hard to pick him if Buddy is fit. Mills just starting to look better.Really disappointed we have moved Mills back to the half back flank. If we are going to improve as a team he MUST play in the position he dominated in as a junior, and the reason he was selected as a pick 2, an inside midfielder!

And Papley has looked fantastic so far, except when it's been time to dispose of the ball.

ugg
10th March 2019, 01:58 PM
Grundy now on Wright after Melican's struggles.

stevoswan
10th March 2019, 02:00 PM
Well.....it only took the Suns half a quarter to work us out.....as opposed to a full quarter like last season and we all know how that turned out. Extremely disappointing after a promising start.

Time to extract thy collective digit.....

stevoswan
10th March 2019, 02:05 PM
We're 50 disposals ahead atm.....and just two goals up. Lots of ineffective disposals? Sounds familiar.....

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 02:05 PM
Well, that's one way to get Reid into the game. Thanks, Charlie.

MattW
10th March 2019, 02:08 PM
Neat play from Clarke in the pocket. We are looking good out of centre clearances.

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 02:09 PM
McInerney gave a lovely little shepherd then in the pocket to clear the way for Clarke to gather and kick it to Papley. Really smart kid!

MattW
10th March 2019, 02:09 PM
McInerney gave a lovely little shepherd then in the pocket to clear the way for Clarke to gather and kick it to Papley. Really smart kid!

He is. I really like him already.

Foreign Legion
10th March 2019, 02:12 PM
Clarke can certainly find the ball. Good goal by Blakey

Melbourne_Blood
10th March 2019, 02:19 PM
Papley looks good on the ball, his run has been excellent. I can see him becoming an elite midfielder of the competition over the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattW
10th March 2019, 02:22 PM
Jones looks sharp. I like him much better in the midfield.

- - - Updated - - -

Papley looks good on the ball, his run has been excellent. I can see him becoming an elite midfielder of the competition over the next few years.

Yep, lack of maturity has held him back a bit, but he's growing up.

Foreign Legion
10th March 2019, 02:29 PM

Agreed. Papley looking very skilled and has always had good pace.

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 02:32 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIf he can work on his dipsosal he could be a real weapon. But I think we msy just have to live with the fact that he is inconsistent at best with his use of the ball, similar to many of our recent great midfielders in Hanners, Kennedy and even Parker at times.

Agree that Jones has looked good in there too. Hopefully he can lift to another level this year also. I remember him having a period a few years ago dominating at NEAFL level as a pure midfielder so hopefully he can do it at AFL level now too.

liz
10th March 2019, 02:38 PM
Jones, Aliir and Papley have been my highlights thus far. Aliir, in particular, is showing some real nous as a makeshift ruckman.

However, I think we need to bear in mind that the contrast between this week and last has a lot to do with the opposition. Gold Coast have the pace and skill to punish us when we turn the ball over (as we did, poorly,on several occasions in the first quarter). But their midfield pressure and defensive structures/nous are a long way short of GWS's.

jono2707
10th March 2019, 02:38 PM
Clarke's disposal is currently not up to AFL standard. He finds it well - he just needs to do a lot of work on what he does with the ball once he has it.

Auntie.Gerald
10th March 2019, 02:40 PM
“If” Clarke makes the 22.....he needs to play in tight initially so his decision making is instinct only because the more time he has the worse his disposal .......his tagging fitness and run would free up a midfield player like Hewett to influence the game in multiple roles like a Toby Greene role that Hewett played in 2017 very well

Interesting watching Papley who is taking the game on well but not there yet with the long kicks especially

Overall the 6/6/6 is making it tough for the way we like to set up in the past and even more important we have some run and carry to counter the forced fast long kick into our backline

crackedactor
10th March 2019, 02:40 PM
Jones looks sharp. I like him much better in the midfield.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, lack of maturity has held him back a bit, but he's growing up.

It might be Paps year, he is looking good. Dawson will be a regular in the side and Allir is not doing too bad in the ruck for a small ruckman. He ground work in the centre has been good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 02:42 PM
Jones, Aliir and Papley have been my highlights thus far. Aliir, in particular, is showing some real nous as a makeshift ruckman.

However, I think we need to bear in mind that the contrast between this week and last has a lot to do with the opposition. Gold Coast have the pace and skill to punish us when we turn the ball over (as we did, poorly) on several occasions in the first quarter. But their midfield pressure and defensive structures/nous are a long way short of GWS's.Exactly right Liz.

Foreign Legion
10th March 2019, 02:43 PM
Dawson could be a real forward factor this year. He is a beautiful kick and if he finds enough of the ball could kick 30-40 goals.

Hewett going well - hardly ever plays a bad game this bloke. Aliir is our most versatile player and shows how valuable he will be to us this year. Sinclair needs to be put in cotton wool and wrapped in bubble wrap though.

10th March 2019, 02:46 PM
I know it's only GC but we have a lot of best 22 players not playing and no rucks, although Aliir is doing some great stuff at the centre bounces.

Need Jones to play midfield, Mills too. Dawson looks a starter for R1. I know lots of people want to retire them but Grundy and McVeigh really do read the ball well and make good decisions.

Let's see what the second half brings, another 14 goals, cough cough!

Foreign Legion
10th March 2019, 02:49 PM
The living legend Barry Round.

"Mid strength - its all you can get"

rb4x
10th March 2019, 02:53 PM
How is Aliir doing so well in the ruck when we are losing the hit outs 33-9. I can't see it live as we have had a Foxtel outage since Wednesday.

ugg
10th March 2019, 02:56 PM
How is Aliir doing so well in the ruck when we are losing the hit outs 33-9. I can't see it live as we have had a Foxtel outage since Wednesday.
He's doing well after the ruck contest, getting some clearances from the middle.

Melbourne_Blood
10th March 2019, 02:56 PM
Allie is having a fair game in the ruck, he is going to have a big year I sense

MattW
10th March 2019, 03:14 PM
Blakey is our most exciting draftee since Heeney.

aardvark
10th March 2019, 03:24 PM
I like Blakey, McInerney and Rowbottom. I don't mind Dawson and Thurlow. I'm not impressed with Rose or Clarke. Good to see Reid back, I hope he can manage an injury free season.

Melbourne_Blood
10th March 2019, 03:26 PM
I like Blakey, McInerney and Rowbottom. I don't mind Dawson and Thurlow. I'm not impressed with Rose or Clarke. Good to see Reid back, I hope he can manage an injury free season.

Clarke has been a lot more involved today , his disposal has looked a lot better at Times and he’s done some really good thing. Rose not so much

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 03:29 PM
I know it's only GC but we have a lot of best 22 players not playing and no rucks, although Aliir is doing some great stuff at the centre bounces.

Need Jones to play midfield, Mills too. Dawson looks a starter for R1. I know lots of people want to retire them but Grundy and McVeigh really do read the ball well and make good decisions.

Let's see what the second half brings, another 14 goals, cough cough!
I think that our backline always looks calmer when McVeigh is there.

- - - Updated - - -

Blakey is our most exciting draftee since Heeney.

He's going to be a gun, once he bulks up past his current praying mantis phase.

ugg
10th March 2019, 03:31 PM
Not a Rose fan but the guy has only had 23% time on ground (and has an assist) so I think you’re being harsh on him.

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 04:01 PM
It was a bit of an uneventful 2nd half but overall there was a lot of good signs from a few new faces and a few that look to be emerging in new roles.

Now bring on the real stuff and lets see how we go!

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 04:06 PM
I don't recall seeing Reid on the field after halftime. I hope that was a planned thing and not some innocuous injury, that lasts for most of the season?

Foreign Legion
10th March 2019, 04:07 PM
Blakey will play round 1. His sure handling of the ball and general athleticism helps plus he is a very good kick!

Couple of negatives - Ronke just average, Reid needs more time, and I think Hayward is a bit lazy - but he can play for sure.

Positives - Aliir shows his versatility again, Clarke is very handy - not great - but can play a role, Dawson and O'Riordan were good.

stevoswan
10th March 2019, 04:08 PM
I don't recall seeing Reid on the field after halftime. I hope that was a planned thing and not some innocuous injury, that lasts for most of the season?

They said on MMM that he was not injured and was rested.....

The Big Cat
10th March 2019, 04:09 PM

In his civvies at end of the game. Pointing to his ribs

liz
10th March 2019, 04:16 PM
Did Jones also sit out the second half? He was still in his playing gear at the final siren (unlike the polo shirt clad Reid) but I don't recall seeing him much - if at all - after half-time.

MattW
10th March 2019, 04:29 PM
Blakey will play round 1. His sure handling of the ball and general athleticism helps plus he is a very good kick!

Couple of negatives - Ronke just average, Reid needs more time, and I think Hayward is a bit lazy - but he can play for sure.

Positives - Aliir shows his versatility again, Clarke is very handy - not great - but can play a role, Dawson and O'Riordan were good.

Blakey is a great kick, courageous, and a good decision maker - my favourite characteristics in a footballer.

Agree with your positives.

Some others:
- Parker played very well
- Thurlow looks like he can do a job
- McInerney is the kind of intelligent utility we've needed. Kind of reminds me of Mattner.

I feel that Hayward and Ronke haven't quite found (or been given) their role.

ugg
10th March 2019, 04:35 PM
Did Jones also sit out the second half? He was still in his playing gear at the final siren (unlike the polo shirt clad Reid) but I don't recall seeing him much - if at all - after half-time.

Reid Jones McVeigh and Heeney did not play the last quarter.

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 04:37 PM
I think that he played a few minutes in the third quarter? But I could be wrong?

rb4x
10th March 2019, 04:56 PM
Reid and Jones both 51% TOG

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 05:03 PM
I don't recall seeing Reid on the field after halftime. I hope that was a planned thing and not some innocuous injury, that lasts for most of the season?Me too. I see his brother Ben has again picked up another soft tissue injury hurting his quad today in a VFL practice match! Geez those brothers are unlucky!

Legs Akimbo
10th March 2019, 05:10 PM
Clarke knows how to find the ball. Also butchers it a lot but his disposal improved as the game progressed. I don't see him as a step down from Hannebery last few years so feels like a win even before factoring in age.

Rowbottom looks like a player. Blakey could be anything. Has so much presence.

Weak opposition so thard to judge our performance.

Melbourne_Blood
10th March 2019, 05:30 PM
Heaps of positives this week compared to last week. Blakey , COR and Dawson my standouts and should all be in the side for round 1 IMO.

Allirs effort in the ruck was awesome , it’s nice to know he can play that role , perhaps we will throw him on the ball from time to time to give us a different set up at centre bounces. I just feel he is in for s massive year , an AA year (pun intended ).

Clarke was very good today , in everything and disposal improving. A Real goer, good pick up for us .

Rowbottom will tear up the NEAFL and will get a chance at senior footy this year, mcinerney also.

Oh and Papley. What a star this kid is going to be. From what we saw today this guy could win a Brownlow, quick, attacks the footy at full tilt, links up , bursts away from the contest. Just needs to tidy up the disposal but his addition to our midfield mix gives us a different dimension we’ve sorely needed.

On the negative side , Melican still looks a bit off the pace of senior footy and may need a bit of NEAFL time o build his confidence up.

Reid was okay but needs to be clunking more of those grabs.

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 05:35 PM
Me too. I see his brother Ben has again picked up another soft tissue injury hurting his quad today in a VFL practice match! Geez those brothers are unlucky!

Yes, though the match report lists our injuries from the game as, nil, so I guess that Sam isn't injured. But then again, I probably would have listed Heeney's ankle as an injury.

Meg
10th March 2019, 05:42 PM
From what Longmire said in his ‘press’ conference (no journalists turned up) it sounds as if Reid was a bit sick in the stomach, hence he was taken off early (particularly given the heat).

Also Heeney rolled his ankle right at the start of the match, was able to keep playing but was taken off early. Doesn’t sound like a longer-term issue.

Longmire was very praising of Aliir. Said Blakey not a certainty for week 1, depends on what develops over the next two weeks (usual caginess by the coach).

Nico
10th March 2019, 05:44 PM
What I like about Clark is he knows where to run and put himself into the play. Is both an inside and outside player.

Melican is way off the pace.

Most impressed with Papley and Jones in the midfield. Was that Jones's first hit out. They are both very hard at the footy. Don't agree on a comment on Ronke. I thought he worked his way into the game. I think he will predominately be a small forward.

It looked like Mills went back in the second half. It might be his best fit if Paps and Jones play a lot more midfield. I prefer him back there than Jones (less risky).

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 05:45 PM
Heaps of positives this week compared to last week. Blakey , COR and Dawson my standouts and should all be in the side for round 1 IMO.

Allirs effort in the ruck was awesome , it’s nice to know he can play that role , perhaps we will throw him on the ball from time to time to give us a different set up at centre bounces. I just feel he is in for s massive year , an AA year (pun intended ).

Clarke was very good today , in everything and disposal improving. A Real goer, good pick up for us .

Rowbottom will tear up the NEAFL and will get a chance at senior footy this year, mcinerney also.

Oh and Papley. What a star this kid is going to be. From what we saw today this guy could win a Brownlow, quick, attacks the footy at full tilt, links up , bursts away from the contest. Just needs to tidy up the disposal but his addition to our midfield mix gives us a different dimension we’ve sorely needed.

On the negative side , Melican still looks a bit off the pace of senior footy and may need a bit of NEAFL time o build his confidence up.

Agree with almost all of that. Though I would have mentioned Parker; who looked a class above, at times. I'm also yet to be convinced by Clarke. It depends on what I want to take most into account. On the positive side, the contested ball wins and the tackling? Or on the negative, the strange disposal decisions? The choice to lob it to a contest between Witts and Papley, was particularly ambitious.

And speaking of Papley, he was excellent. His breakaway pace from the contest, should be very useful this year.

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 06:07 PM
From what Longmire said in his ‘press’ conference (no journalists turned up) it sounds as if Reid was a bit sick in the stomach, hence he was taken off early (particularly given the heat).

Also Heeney rolled his ankle right at the start of the match, was able to keep playing but was taken off early. Doesn’t sound like a longer-term issue.

Longmire was very praising of Aliir. Said Blakey not a certainty for week 1, depends on what develops over the next two weeks (usual caginess by the coach).

No journalists? Was there an awkward moment at the end, when he asked if there were any questions and then realised, that he was just talking to someone hiding behind a camera and a sound operator?

Meg
10th March 2019, 06:17 PM
There was a bit of a joke about it at the beginning and then I think it was a Swans staffer who asked the questions (all of which were pertinent).

Mel_C
10th March 2019, 06:19 PM

That explains why Reid was rubbing his torso area at the end of the game when he was talking to a swans official. I have to admit that I thought it might be his ribs...although he was smiling while he was talking so I didn't think it was serious.

Meg
10th March 2019, 06:23 PM
Not ‘our’ McCartin, but this is terrible news. I feel for McCartin’s parents, must be dreadful watching this happen over & over. And of course dreadful for both brothers.

“PADDY McCartin will be sidelined for the remainder of St Kilda's JLT Community Series clash with the Western Bulldogs after yet another concussion scare.

McCartin fell to the turf just two minutes before the main break after copping the brunt of teammate Ben Long's hip in a marking contest on the wing.

After taking several seconds to regain his feet, McCartin was helped to the nearby bench by Saints trainers before removing his helmet and undergoing assessment.”

St Kilda forward sits outs second half after concussion scare Saints take cautious approach after McCartin head knock - AFL.com.au (http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-10/saints-take-cautious-approach-after-mccartin-head-knock)

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 06:34 PM
That explains why Reid was rubbing his torso area at the end of the game when he was talking to a swans official. I have to admit that I thought it might be his ribs...although he was smiling while he was talking so I didn't think it was serious.
Possibly saying, 'I was throwing up so much, I might have done an ab.'

TheMase
10th March 2019, 06:34 PM
It looked like Mills went back in the second half. It might be his best fit if Paps and Jones play a lot more midfield. I prefer him back there than Jones (less risky).

Mills started the game in defence and was there most of the game from what I saw.

(I live in Lismore and was at the game).

dejavoodoo44
10th March 2019, 06:37 PM
Not ‘our’ McCartin, but this is terrible news. I feel for McCartin’s parents, must be dreadful watching this happen over & over. And of course dreadful for both brothers.

“PADDY McCartin will be sidelined for the remainder of St Kilda's JLT Community Series clash with the Western Bulldogs after yet another concussion scare.

McCartin fell to the turf just two minutes before the main break after copping the brunt of teammate Ben Long's hip in a marking contest on the wing.

After taking several seconds to regain his feet, McCartin was helped to the nearby bench by Saints trainers before removing his helmet and undergoing assessment.”

St Kilda forward sits outs second half after concussion scare Saints take cautious approach after McCartin head knock - AFL.com.au (http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-10/saints-take-cautious-approach-after-mccartin-head-knock)
Yes, and each one can become more worrying, as the damage tends to accumulate.

ugg
10th March 2019, 07:06 PM
Mills started the game in defence and was there most of the game from what I saw.

(I live in Lismore and was at the game).

Mills definitely spent all game in defence. I just wonder if it was just for this game to replace Lloyd. Jones played midfield.

moocher
10th March 2019, 07:17 PM
I was at the game and I came away feeling that our back six might struggle with McVeigh, Grundy and Melican included. They all looked slow. Not just leg speed but McVeigh always seems to create time for himself which seems to settle the backline. Didn't see that today. He fumbled a bit and looked off the pace. Same for Grundy and Melican. Hopefully they all improve over the next few weeks but I think we may be seeing Grundy in NEAFL a bit this year.
If I had to choose between Reid and Blakey for round 1 I'd go for Blakey. He is offering more atm. He's great when the ball hits the ground as well as being a good mark and kick. Reid looks like he needs more time.
Really impressed with Allir. He gave away a huge amount of height in the ruck contest but did very well especially around the ruck when the ball came to ground. He is really good at involving others in the play. Papley and Jones were good. Papley like Jones last year goes for the hero play too often and takes it just a little too far but probably just maturity needed. He certainly gives us great thrust and speed around the midfield.
Clark is interesting. As others have said he's good at getting the ball but then his disposal lets him down. Looks like he struggles from lack of confidence in his decision making so hopefully a dose of good coaching and support will see him grow. Not surprising with his injury history and the rejections he had at Norths. Same for Jackson Thurlow. Showed enough to suggest he'll be useful.
Given the 35 degree plus temperature and not having a recognised tap ruckman for the whole game I thought it was a good hit out.
Does anyone know whether a decision has been made on replacing Maibaum? After what I saw today a tall key position back would be a good addition

10th March 2019, 07:34 PM
About time to resurrect the Best 22 thread, will be some interesting positional changes, Jones, Papley, Mills midfield? A lot of best players to add to today's hit out.

Clarke went at 79% disposal rating today, he's booked himself for R1.

Dawson looks to have cemented a spot, gee his kicking is a delight to watch.

Ronke hasn't done much in the JLT but couldn't see him miss given what he gave us last year, albeit he got tired towards the end.

Reid will be there, so important for forward structure.

Thurlow done enough to grab a HBF?

Blakey, looks to have all the tools, how's his ground level pick ups, will be a very good player very quickly IMO but R1 quickly? Might depend on Bud.

A good hit out, selection headaches for R1, we've built playing and list depth and got some exciting kids to develop. Might/could be a development year but the ride will be good fun.

AB Swannie
10th March 2019, 08:42 PM
Yep, the Round 1 team will be very interesting. At the very least, there is Buddy, Florent, Lloyd, and Sinclair to come back into the team.

For me, Melican and Ronke are under the most pressure.

Auntie.Gerald
10th March 2019, 08:42 PM
It’s certainly a jigsaw for us all to work out between now and rd 1

who will get enough game time in ressies etc prior to two weeks from now ??

9 Snr level players out right now :

Franklin
Sinclair
Ollie
Smith
Jack
Naismith
McCartin
Menzel
Lloyd

—————

What I do know is that the below 6 players who didn’t play Snrs for the swans last year except Dawson will be in and out of our best 22 this year.

McInerney
Blakey
Clarke
Thurlow
Menzel
Dawson

The tricky part is who will be the next Hayward or Ollie or Papley or Mills or Heeney ie the players that have come straight in Snrs first year?

For me Blakey and McInerney look likely to have serious AFL careers

Blakey will get his chances for sure due to tall forwards so often in and out of the side due to injury therefore he wil no doubt get his opportunities......more then that though, Blakey is very talented with a strong work ethic

Justin McInerney is a great surprise and is so cool under pressure , with some seriously good scanning of options, short kicks and handballs and he just loves finding the footy and putting on good pressure........he also appears to be not to far off in surviving 4 qtrs of afl snr footy

I rate justin as a real talent and that is only after a small sample to go on , but he has a lot potential and I think a fair bit of upside for 2019. The kid is only going to get better and thrive thru the year in my humble opinion

Dawson lifted a notch again and his decision making and execution looked sharp.......his work rate is lifting more every time I watch him play. I still find it amazing he can’t be a cut off defender like a Luke Hodge style player

Dawson has a great mark and an awesome kick

Imagine Dawson coming off the HBF kicking to buddy

Two 60m kicks for a goal ! Dawson to buddy goal !!

The Runner
10th March 2019, 09:04 PM
I'm not really buying in to the "Blakey for Round 1" hype, if McCartin is fit. He's clearly talented and will be a gun, but he's a long way off. He hasn't shown consistent forward pressure or hitting contests. Things he'll develop in the system.

Clarke was impressive with his gut running, but will frustrate with decision making.
Papley was great at breaking lines, but his disposal was terrible - would have been about 35% by foot today.

The back 6 are fine. Melican was very physical live, and will be better for the hit out.

Real uncertainty over what to do with Heeney and Mills. Clearly both thought of as on ballers, but both were spending a lot of time at their usual ends.

Some positive signs with Dawson looking strong and comfortable, and some of the newbies looking like they'll be alright. Hewitt will step up to a new level as well.
But man, that forward line is a mess. Hopefully Franklin and McCartin provide the structure it's missed the last two weeks, because it's looked shambolic at times.

stevoswan
10th March 2019, 09:40 PM

.....then followed up with he won't be playing NEAFL next week, so I reckon Blakey is a lock.

On Reid, someone said earlier he was seen post match pointing at his ribs.....most likely pointing at his stomach. They did say it was mid 30's up there today. He should be fine.:five:

Hotpotato
10th March 2019, 11:10 PM
Lots of excellent link-up attacking footy today (compared to last week) which they can do really well (the commentators mostly bang on about our ‘trench warfare’ style).

Well done Swans.

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 11:38 PM
I'm not really buying in to the "Blakey for Round 1" hype, if McCartin is fit. He's clearly talented and will be a gun, but he's a long way off. He hasn't shown consistent forward pressure or hitting contests. Things he'll develop in the system.

Clarke was impressive with his gut running, but will frustrate with decision making.
Papley was great at breaking lines, but his disposal was terrible - would have been about 35% by foot today.

The back 6 are fine. Melican was very physical live, and will be better for the hit out.

Real uncertainty over what to do with Heeney and Mills. Clearly both thought of as on ballers, but both were spending a lot of time at their usual ends.

Some positive signs with Dawson looking strong and comfortable, and some of the newbies looking like they'll be alright. Hewitt will step up to a new level as well.
But man, that forward line is a mess. Hopefully Franklin and McCartin provide the structure it's missed the last two weeks, because it's looked shambolic at times.I think Heeney will play a lot of midfield, today may have been different as he started there and then got injured in the first contest so probably why he played more forward?

But the real key to us not needing Heeney in the forward line in my opinion will be a fit Menzel. If he can hold down a medium forward position and kick regular goals like we are hoping from him then there will be less reliance on Heeney to go down there when we need a goal or 2 and hopefully he'll only spend a few rests forward which will also add to another element of danger for the opposition.

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 11:41 PM

Longmire was very praising of Aliir. Said Blakey not a certainty for week 1, depends on what develops over the next two weeks (usual caginess by the coach).I'm pretty sure I read somewhere earlier in the week that Reid and another player had a bout of gastro so that may explain it?

troyjones2525
10th March 2019, 11:50 PM
Just scoured through a couple of articles of found one from the telegraph on the 7th that stated that Longmire was hopeful the that Reid and Thurlow would recover from a bout of gastro to play this week.

May explain a bit about there performance and is a relief that there probably isn't anything more serious considering his injury history. Knowing how contagious gastro is it may have effected others (Lloyd, Sinclair?) so hopefully they are all good in a couple of weeks!

stevoswan
10th March 2019, 11:53 PM

I feel for him.....he seemed primed to really 'arrive' this season. I hope he's ok.

wolftone57
11th March 2019, 04:18 AM
Yep, the Round 1 team will be very interesting. At the very least, there is Buddy, Florent, Lloyd, and Sinclair to come back into the team.

For me, Melican and Ronke are under the most pressure.If Buddy makes round 1.

wolftone57
11th March 2019, 04:23 AM

But man, that forward line is a mess. Hopefully Franklin and McCartin provide the structure it's missed the last two weeks, because it's looked shambolic at times.I know against the Giants it looked really disorganised. But surely the forward line must have looked better this week. We kicked 122 so that was a, bonus. I have not seen the game. I will rectify that today.

The Runner
11th March 2019, 07:06 AM
I know against the Giants it looked really disorganised. But surely the forward line must have looked better this week. We kicked 122 so that was a, bonus. I have not seen the game. I will rectify that today.

It looked ugly. No real structure or order, and lacked leadership. We generally kicked goals from quick transitions forward (large amount of midfield goals) and Suns errors.
When we had structured opportunities to enter, we flooded the 50 and had no real strategy other than hit the hot spot.

caj23
11th March 2019, 07:11 AM
Mills definitely spent all game in defence. I just wonder if it was just for this game to replace Lloyd. Jones played midfield.

Or a leopard can’t change its spots

Auntie.Gerald
11th March 2019, 07:57 AM
Interestly Jones and Rampe I felt were heavily involved in our exits yesterday

Longmire said that Jones was involved with our exits

Kafka's Ghost
11th March 2019, 08:34 AM
Or a leopard can’t change its spots

Or it was 35 degrees in stifling humidity and the coaches didn’t want to wipe out young players before the season even starts?

Blood Fever
11th March 2019, 08:50 AM

Opposition was a lot weaker than last week with a lot less pressure. Hopefully all the good signs during this game carry over to proper season but we really don't know yet.

Melbourne_Blood
11th March 2019, 09:37 AM
Opposition was a lot weaker than last week with a lot less pressure. Hopefully all the good signs during this game carry over to proper season but we really don't know yet.

True , but I though In the spirit of balance and fairness I should point out the positives I saw when I called out the giants performance as displaying almost a complete lack of positives for our side.

Mountain Man
11th March 2019, 10:41 AM
Longmire reported there would be a Reserves game this weekend and that Blakey would not play in it.
I notice that Melbourne played some A graders in their Reserves team this weekend (rather than the top team) on their way back from injury.
Franklin McCartin and Menzel would make a nice forward line in NEAFL grade competition!
Any info on where, when and opponent this weekend

Aprilbr
11th March 2019, 10:47 AM
My take on the game was that we showed a lot more positive signs than the previous game. Our midfield was much more effective resulting in far more inside 50s than last week. Our ball movement was also much better although we still managed to butcher the final kick into the forwards too often. Papley and Clarke certainly got plenty of the ball and the former showed a lot of dash. I was interested to see that Mills did not play in the midfield given he had been training to do that in the offseason. He certainly seemed more at home being back in defense. Blakey looks a real talent. Reid looked rusty struggling to hold his marks. He just needs more games under his belt. Melican really struggled and for the second time in two weeks was beaten by his opponent. I would imagine that Alir will slot back into defense when Sinclair returns so Melican may start the season in the Reserves. I was disappointed that Rose once again failed to show anything. He is a real letdown. On a more positive note, I thought that some of those newer players fitted in well.

My prediction on the forthcoming season is that if we can have some luck with injuries and have our best players available most weeks then we can play finals again. But we are also vulnerable to injury and could easily slip out of contention.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ugg
11th March 2019, 11:46 AM
Longmire reported there would be a Reserves game this weekend and that Blakey would not play in it.
I notice that Melbourne played some A graders in their Reserves team this weekend (rather than the top team) on their way back from injury.
Franklin McCartin and Menzel would make a nice forward line in NEAFL grade competition!
Any info on where, when and opponent this weekend
Sydney Uni
Sat 11am
Henson Park

NEAFL Practice Match Schedule Released (http://neafl.com.au/neafl-practice-match-schedule-released-2/)

Beerman
11th March 2019, 01:13 PM
About time to resurrect the Best 22 thread, will be some interesting positional changes, Jones, Papley, Mills midfield? A lot of best players to add to today's hit out.

Clarke went at 79% disposal rating today, he's booked himself for R1.

Be careful with those disposal numbers, as I believe kicking to a contest is counted as an effective disposal, even when the contest is Papley vs Witts (as previously mentioned).

Melbourne_Blood
11th March 2019, 01:21 PM
Be careful with those disposal numbers, as I believe kicking to a contest is counted as an effective disposal, even when the contest is Papley vs Witts (as previously mentioned).

Disregarding the stats , he was visibly improved yesterday on previous efforts with his disposal. It doesn’t have to be pretty , as long as it is effective and I believe more after than not yesterday he was effective. I think he has the potential to be a very solid player for us.

Ralph Dawg
11th March 2019, 01:45 PM
Given GC are favourites for the spoon and lacking in quality and/or experience across the park, I don't think too much can be read from yesterday's performance. I think Dawson looks like he's ready to become a regular 1st team player. His left boot is just elite - he would have to be the second best kick in the club. Jones looked at home in the midfield. Watching Aliir ruck was reminiscent of the year Goodes was our ruckman. If Melican can get up to speed, we can use Aliir as 2nd ruck, freeing Sinclair to move forward when resting. Other then these 3 performances, the rest was a bit patchy against a GC team which will be lucky to win more than a few matches this year.

stevoswan
11th March 2019, 02:24 PM
Given GC are favourites for the spoon and lacking in quality and/or experience across the park, I don't think too much can be read from yesterday's performance. I think Dawson looks like he's ready to become a regular 1st team player. His left boot is just elite - he would have to be the second best kick in the club. Jones looked at home in the midfield. Watching Aliir ruck was reminiscent of the year Goodes was our ruckman. If Melican can get up to speed, we can use Aliir as 2nd ruck, freeing Sinclair to move forward when resting. Other then these 3 performances, the rest was a bit patchy against a GC team which will be lucky to win more than a few matches this year.

They matched us on the scoreboard for three quarters....we really only played one decent quarter. Our consistency and effort across an entire match is slightly worrying.

KSAS
11th March 2019, 02:37 PM
They matched us on the scoreboard for three quarters....we really only played one decent quarter. Our consistency and effort across an entire match is slightly worrying.

Ross Lyon has a interesting take on how supporters should view practice matches. Ross reckons don't judge how your team performed over the entire 4 quarters, but rather focus on the best the minutes they produced during the game as this is what they can bring into the season proper.

bloodspirit
11th March 2019, 03:40 PM

That makes sense to me. And to give the likes of Papley and Rowbottom the chance to play more midfield. I expect to see Mills in the mids come round 1.

Will you be giving us a thread for the NEAFL reserves this weekend? I'm crossing my fingers.

Is a replay of the full game available anywhere? I see highlights have been posted on the Swans website.

baskin
11th March 2019, 08:41 PM
I noticed the players had a type of chant happening in the pregame huddle. I haven’t noticed it before. Does anyone know what they were saying or have seen it before?