PDA

View Full Version : Team List Changes for Round VII Lions

Blood Relative
28th April 2019, 04:57 PM
If we consider that in previous seasons when we called on the reserves for replacements, we had Towers, Marsh, Robinson, Foote etc. They were just insurance players. If none or all of Rose, Fox & COR are not called upon soon then they may have been given this tag as well.

Perhaps Stoddart replaces Ronke.

Aprilbr
28th April 2019, 06:28 PM
We are soon coming to the point where we need to play COR, Rose, Cameron, Fox for 2-3 games just to see if they are worth keeping on the list for next season. Are they up to it? If not, move on!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Markwebbos
28th April 2019, 06:41 PM
Surely we would be better off without Clarke and replacing him with COR - either he allows Mills to move to the midfield or he plays there himself. Ronke has to go. And lets hope Buddy does come back. I'm keen for Rowbottom to stay in the side. Either Melican, Blakey or McCartin needs to make way. McCartin.

OUT: Ronke, Clarke, McCartin
IN: COR, Franklin, Rose

Foreign Legion
28th April 2019, 07:11 PM
Surely we would be better off without Clarke and replacing him with COR - either he allows Mills to move to the midfield or he plays there himself. Ronke has to go. And lets hope Buddy does come back. I'm keen for Rowbottom to stay in the side. Either Melican, Blakey or McCartin needs to make way. McCartin.

OUT: Ronke, Clarke, McCartin
IN: COR, Franklin, Rose

As much as I like Blakey's foot skills I think he was returned to the Seniors too early. McCartin is a year ahead and offers a bit more flexibility. Otherwise I agree 100% with your changes.

AB Swannie
28th April 2019, 07:17 PM
I think it would be unwise to play Buddy. Regardless of how minor the strain is, 1 week is not enough time for any hamstring - they quickly become repetitive if not managed well.

OUT: Ronke, Clarke
IN: COR and either Fox or Stoddart.

Ralph Dawg
28th April 2019, 07:37 PM
I think it's time Sinclair had a spell, play full forward giving Cameron chop out. Lions have 3 mobile talls. I wonder whether Reid would actually be best matchup for big O, Rampe on Hipwood and Aliir on McStay? Melican just seems off the pace. Ronke and Clarke definite outs for me. McCartain over Blakey as the final out as Blakey seems to offer more.
Ins: Cameron, Rose, COR, Franklin
Outs: Melican, McCartain, Clarke, Ronke

O'Reilly Boy
28th April 2019, 08:40 PM
Mills into the middle for Clarke—Mills is completely wasted playing key position defender (and Clarke adds not a thing). Last night Mills was starting out of the defensive goal square most of the night. Ridiculous. O'Riordan into the back set-up and move Reid back permanently (I thought that he was pretty good last night, playing everywhere. Move Lloyd up onto the wing and play Dawson off half-back for some penetration. We need to develop play-makers off half back with Macca gone, and I think that Lloyd's disposals have been diabolical. Cunningham was willing last night, and quite prepared to engage (I know Nico is not a fan, but I thought he was among the best). I'd rather have him off half-back than Lloyd. Rose in for Ronke. Stoddard for Thurlow, to add some spark.

Rampe Aliir Reid
Dawson Melican Cunningham

Sinclair Kennedy Jones
Florent Heeney Lloyd

Parker Rose Rowbottom
Papley McCartin Blakey

O'Riordan, Mills, Hewitt, Stoddard

O'Reilly Boy
28th April 2019, 09:06 PM
Maybe I'm being harsh on Lloyd, looking at his stats. But I also think that this may be a case where the raw stats don't actually capture what I saw. His 'efficiency' seems high, but I wonder about the situations that efficiency creates. The stat itself without game context doesn't mean much, and my experience of the game was repeated frustration at disposals to teammates in terrible situations who then immediately turned the ball over.

Markwebbos
28th April 2019, 09:41 PM
Maybe I'm being harsh on Lloyd, looking at his stats. But I also think that this may be a case where the raw stats don't actually capture what I saw. His 'efficiency' seems high, but I wonder about the situations that efficiency creates. The stat itself without game context doesn't mean much, and my experience of the game was repeated frustration at disposals to teammates in terrible situations who then immediately turned the ball over.

There were a couple of times Lloyd kicked the ball inside 50 on Saturday night and both were the opposite of a bullet, floating balls that gave the intended recipient no chance. Not sure why he does that and whether it's a confidence issue. There do seem to be a lot of Swans down on confidence. But I would rather he kicked like that in defence.

I'm a big fan of Cunningham playing in defence. I don't know how well he defends, but we need what run and carry he does have.

Blood Fever
28th April 2019, 11:21 PM
There were a couple of times Lloyd kicked the ball inside 50 on Saturday night and both were the opposite of a bullet, floating balls that gave the intended recipient no chance. Not sure why he does that and whether it's a confidence issue. There do seem to be a lot of Swans down on confidence. But I would rather he kicked like that in defence.

I'm a big fan of Cunningham playing in defence. I don't know how well he defends, but we need what run and carry he does have.

Cunningham has become one of our most valuable players. Very reliable with good character. One of our very few quick players.

liz
28th April 2019, 11:35 PM
Cunningham has become one of our most valuable players. Very reliable with good character. One of our very few quick players.

He's also out of contract. As is Jones. How optimistic we can be about rebounding fairly quickly up the ladder (after this year) will depend a lot on re-signing those two. I know Jones is prone to a few errors but I think he, along with Cunningham, have been two of our better and more consistent players this year. We are developing a young group of runners (mostly still at NEAFL level) but those two lead the way in the senior side.

ernie koala
28th April 2019, 11:35 PM
I'm surprised reading here that some think McCartin should be dropped.

He competes all game, attacks the ball, is an excellent mark...He's tracking really well for a 19 year old playing CHF.

IMO he's one of the few shining lights in our team right now.

OUT : Clarke, Ronke

IN : COR, Rose

These 2 should be given at least 3 games to settle in at AFL level.

Cameron also should be given an extended run at some stage.

If Buddy is fit, then Blakey or Reid to make way.

liz
28th April 2019, 11:59 PM
I'm surprised reading here that some think McCartin should be dropped.

He competes all game, attacks the ball, is an excellent mark...He's tracking really well for a 19 year old playing CHF.

IMO he's one of the few shining lights in our team right now.

OUT : Clarke, Ronke

IN : COR, Rose

These 2 should be given at least 3 games to settle in at AFL level.

Cameron also should be given an extended run at some stage.

If Buddy is fit, then Blakey or Reid to make way.

I'd omit one of Blakey or McCartin even if Buddy isn't fit to return. I think they are both fine prospects, and in time will become good forwards. But at the moment they are playing in a young and dysfunctional forward line. It was evident yesterday (especially in the second half), how static our forward line was. Pretty much every entry was kicked long towards the top of the goal square where all our forwards (and all the Giants' defenders) stood watching. There was no movement to create free options. Now I acknowledge that this might be a chicken and and egg situation - ie did all the entries go there because that's where all the forwards had stationed themselves? Or did all the forwards station themselves there because they knew that's where all the entries were going? But even if it's the latter, one or more of the forwards leading away from that area (and taking a defender with them) would have somewhat improved the chances of taking a mark, or at least bringing the ball to ground even if the ball continued to be kicked there.

Someone, on some thread, bemoaned our lack of a forward able to take a mark. I actually think that's a long way from reality, and one reason why I think we can rebound quite quickly if the midfield woes can be sorted (and again, I'm not necessarily talking about this season). Yesterday alone we saw Blakey, McCartin, Reid, Dawson, Parker and Heeney take contested marks in our forward line under a lot of pressure. Sure, none of them took very many, but they can all do it. And then there's Franklin to add back in. I know he's marking is perceived as a weakness but he's a lot better than many give him credit for - it's just a relative weakness compared to some of the other freakish things he does.

I realise that anyone else who comes into the forward line at their expense is going to be just as inexperienced (if Buddy is not available) but changing the balance between talls and smalls might help somewhat. Alternatively, we need Johnson to work overtime this week in teaching the talls how to spread out and create space for each other.

mattybloods
29th April 2019, 03:05 AM
As others have mentioned we should bring Cameron in to free Sinclair up to play deep forward. Blakey is a first year key forward, needs more time to develop in the NEAFL. My changes

Ins: Cameron, Rose (or Fox), O'Riordan

Outs: Blakey, Ronke, Clarke

I feel sorry for Clarke, he's still a young player and it looks like he hasn't been given a defined role. Low game time puts more pressure on him to make every touch count. I wouldn't mind keeping Clarke in for a few more weeks but giving him more game time and a more defined role. He could be used as a tagger and free Hewitt up . This is a year of development, time to find out which players are worth sticking with

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Auntie.Gerald
29th April 2019, 08:27 AM
Let’s all be honest

2019 is a rebuilding season

Let’s measure progress rather then results if we want to enjoy this season

We can all see how dependant we are on a full squad and experienced players being out on the ground

It appears due to significant injuries we are fast tracking certain players into roles they are growing into massively

We have -

1. Oli learning how to play as a true inside outside mid

2. Jones playing inside more so then outside and letting of his HBF role

3. McCartin learning how to play as a true defender as well as helping up in the forward line

4. Thurlow playing an intercept role off HBF in a new team with a fairly brittle backline right now

5. Papley adapting to playing more midfield minutes

6. Rowbottom definitely learning but like Parker, Mills and Heeney young Rowbottom should be given a decent amount of runs in snrs to help our hunt and aggression on the contested ball

7. Blakey - learning his craft which is bloody hard for a 18yr old skinny tall in ur first season and if we want him good for 2020 we need to perisher with him in snrs I feel / Menzel will put pressure on blakey and or ronke I feel but for now blakey

8. Dawson - definitely progressing and I’m happy he is being given game time in a season that really is about rebuilding in the snrs with new players new roles

9. Melican - finding his feet again with only 20 something games two years ago

10. AA - 30 game player now becoming a key defender and a true voice in the backline

Etc

I truly feel it’s time to give COR the role that Mills plays and let Mills get more midfield minutes now - even if only 50/50

Mills is not that good in the role he plays off HBF - I mean look at the way the gws backline counter attacks. Mills should be a genuine 50/50 midfield / HBF......... not just a HBF

GWS just moved so quickly out of their backline that it puts so much pressure on our defence to reset

We need to create that pressure also on the opposition

That means we need to rotate thru our backline some more exit speed

In : COR
Out : Clarke

I will persist with Blakey given we are rebuilding for 2019 and given buddy carrying a hammy

Maybe give him a rest here and there and or give him some more time off HBF using his field kicking and height and run

waswan
29th April 2019, 10:15 AM
Clarke touted as one of the fittest players all preseason yet playing the least minutes ?
Mills still in defence with a terrible midfield
Lloyd still deep and ineffective

Some real head scratching stuff in that coaches box

Swanny40519
29th April 2019, 10:52 AM
I think we also need to look at our game style along with personnel changes.

For sure Ronke, Clarke and maybe one more need to go back to NEAFL. I would add Cameron, COR and possibly Stoddard/Rose to give us more pace (which we desperately need).

We need to move the ball more quickly and yes I know we will make mistakes, but we have to change the style of our game. The Bloods football of the past is gone and now we have a much younger group, our older players are mostly injured or out of form, and all the other AFL teams have changed their game plans and we are being left way behind.

Hopefully Horse is up for the changes, but if not then the club should look elsewhere at the end of the year for a coach that can deliver the required changes.

waswan
29th April 2019, 11:38 AM
We were once the club that found gems from other clubs nowadays
Hawks get a Brownlow medallist off us who was lowballed (understandably at the time)
Newman doing well running off the HBF kinda where we suck
Rohan killing it in a team that isolates him deep with quick ball movement

aardvark
29th April 2019, 12:23 PM
Out. Ronke, Clarke. Clarke should be banished to the lower depths of the NEAFL never to return.

Ins. COR, Rose, but only if they're going to play him as a mid, or Stoddart.

waswan
29th April 2019, 12:36 PM
Longmire should lobby to change the 6 6 6 to 2 3 13
Fwd line us shambles
Midfield is a 5yr apprenticeship
Happy to play everyone as a stationary defender

29th April 2019, 12:48 PM
Clarke 11 disposals @ 27% "efficiency". There was a reason he wasn't getting games last year at LOLNorf, we are now seeing why. Only possible role would be as an endurance tagger. You cannot possibly leave him in the seniors at the expense of a developing player.

Time to rethink how we line up, if we need a major reshuffle let's do it because the season is gone. Mills into the mids where he trained all summer. COR & Fox to the backline. Ronke has to go back to redevelop his game, why not try Wicks? he has obviously looked good in recent NEAFL games, get him in while he's hot.

Just accept we're gone and start 2020 now! You listening match committee?

Ludwig
29th April 2019, 01:53 PM
We are missing the value of having a small defender like Nick Smith. Lloyd is a playmaker, but not a good defender. We don't see Cunningham in the back line regularly, but he seems a better defender than Lloyd.

I think bringing in COR is a must. He brings a bit more defence as well as rebound. I've said before, that I would prefer seeing Lloyd in the midfield (wing); I think we can use a good link man through the middle where things seems to be breaking down for us.

I've been impressed with Stoddart's defensive skill. We haven't seen much, but he seems a good one on one defender and has great closing speed. He's a bit skinny, but doesn't play skinny. I'd bring him in this week as well.

Clarke and Ronke are the most obvious ones to drop. There could be others. I would continue to play Rowbottom.

Clarke 11 disposals @ 27% "efficiency". There was a reason he wasn't getting games last year at LOLNorf, we are now seeing why. Only possible role would be as an endurance tagger. You cannot possibly leave him in the seniors at the expense of a developing player.

The strange thing is that Clarke was getting games at North. He played 19 of 22 games last year, up from 15 in 2017, with close to 20 disposals a game. So why did NM let him go for next to nothing? We can see why. His disposal is terrible. Perhaps it was worth the risk of picking him up, but he has to improve his disposal before he can play senior footy.

liz
29th April 2019, 02:00 PM
The strange thing is that Clarke was getting games at North. He played 19 of 22 games last year, up from 15 in 2017, with close to 20 disposals a game. So why did NM let him go for next to nothing? We can see why. His disposal is terrible. Perhaps it was worth the risk of picking him up, but he has to improve his disposal before he can play senior footy.

They seemed to be playing him in mostly an outside role, where disposal skills are a bit more critical. I don't pay that much attention to North, but I thought when he first emerged he was a genuine ball winner, rather than an outside user. They got upgrades over the offseason for those outside roles in Hall, Polec and Pittard (questionable).

I haven't written him off yet. It can't be easy coming into a new side as an emerging but experienced player trying to make your mark, particularly in a team down on confidence and a bit dysfunctional. I do think there's merit in letting him learn a bit more about the Swans style of play in the NEAFL for a few weeks, with no expectation of immediately trying to win a midfield spot back. On the evidence of Saturday, I'd much prefer someone like Fox to get a chance in Clarke's role (whatever that is, exactly).

waswan
29th April 2019, 02:22 PM
sounds about right
Like what he did as an inside mid and play him as an outside mid

Markwebbos
29th April 2019, 02:40 PM
Firstly, after Horse's press conference, I am prepared to cut him and the team some slack. He finally admitted, in his own words, that we need to lower our expectations with such a young, developing team. So I'm officially writing this year off, and accepting the Swans aren't going to be as competitive as we'd like in 2019.

It's a year of development, to figure out what's what with the list, and I suspect the game plan too.

That doesn't mean chucking every player over 30 out of the team, but I think some older players may be less likely to get a game in this scenario.

I'm all in favour of:

* (as others suggested) playing Cameron for the next 4-6 weeks until Naismith comes along, which would give us a more experienced forward line when Sinkers is in it.
* dropping Clarke, and giving his spot to COR to share with Mills or let Mills move directly to the midfield. I wonder if Mills is frustrated with how he is being played, and its affecting his performance.
* dropping Ronke, not sure who gets his spot, probably Rose.
* sticking with Rowbottom, he looks like he belongs already
* playing Cunningham in defence.

OUT: Ronke, Clarke, Blakey
IN: Rose, COR, Cameron

MattW
29th April 2019, 02:45 PM
They seemed to be playing him in mostly an outside role, where disposal skills are a bit more critical. I don't pay that much attention to North, but I thought when he first emerged he was a genuine ball winner, rather than an outside user. They got upgrades over the offseason for those outside roles in Hall, Polec and Pittard (questionable).

I haven't written him off yet. It can't be easy coming into a new side as an emerging but experienced player trying to make your mark, particularly in a team down on confidence and a bit dysfunctional. I do think there's merit in letting him learn a bit more about the Swans style of play in the NEAFL for a few weeks, with no expectation of immediately trying to win a midfield spot back. On the evidence of Saturday, I'd much prefer someone like Fox to get a chance in Clarke's role (whatever that is, exactly).

I understood they were playing him as a rebounding defender.

Clarke rapt to be back - NMFC.com.au (https://m.nmfc.com.au/news/2018-03-21/clarke-rapt-to-be-back)
Swans recruit ready to fill vacant Hannebery role - AFL.com.au (https://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-12/swans-recruit-clarke-ready-to-fill-vacant-hannebery-role)

waswan
29th April 2019, 03:01 PM
Id say with a Disposal eff of less than 30% he is doing perfect in the Hannabery role

AnsweredPrayers
29th April 2019, 03:51 PM
Let’s all be honest

2019 is a rebuilding season

Let’s measure progress rather then results if we want to enjoy this season

We can all see how dependant we are on a full squad and experienced players being out on the ground

It appears due to significant injuries we are fast tracking certain players into roles they are growing into massively

We have -

1. Oli learning how to play as a true inside outside mid

2. Jones playing inside more so then outside and letting of his HBF role

3. McCartin learning how to play as a true defender as well as helping up in the forward line

4. Thurlow playing an intercept role off HBF in a new team with a fairly brittle backline right now

5. Papley adapting to playing more midfield minutes

6. Rowbottom definitely learning but like Parker, Mills and Heeney young Rowbottom should be given a decent amount of runs in snrs to help our hunt and aggression on the contested ball

7. Blakey - learning his craft which is bloody hard for a 18yr old skinny tall in ur first season and if we want him good for 2020 we need to perisher with him in snrs I feel / Menzel will put pressure on blakey and or ronke I feel but for now blakey

8. Dawson - definitely progressing and I’m happy he is being given game time in a season that really is about rebuilding in the snrs with new players new roles

9. Melican - finding his feet again with only 20 something games two years ago

10. AA - 30 game player now becoming a key defender and a true voice in the backline

Etc

I truly feel it’s time to give COR the role that Mills plays and let Mills get more midfield minutes now - even if only 50/50

Mills is not that good in the role he plays off HBF - I mean look at the way the gws backline counter attacks. Mills should be a genuine 50/50 midfield / HBF......... not just a HBF

GWS just moved so quickly out of their backline that it puts so much pressure on our defence to reset

We need to create that pressure also on the opposition

That means we need to rotate thru our backline some more exit speed

In : COR
Out : Clarke

I will persist with Blakey given we are rebuilding for 2019 and given buddy carrying a hammy

Maybe give him a rest here and there and or give him some more time off HBF using his field kicking and height and run

I agree this is a rebuilding season. Blakey is averaging a goal a game. If he lifts a bit might finish with 30 goals for the year. Learning on the job with an ok return. I'd only drop him if I felt he was losing confidence.

Jeynez
29th April 2019, 05:07 PM
I guess it is good to see that we are trying a different game plan at the very least, which is why we are seeing higher turnover goals by going through the corridor, compared to the boundary line in 2017-18.

This is the best crop of young players we have had in years though, so we only need to rejuvenate our list and work out the best structures and who fits into our best 22 for next year. But Mills really needs to get midfield time this year though, his talent is being wasted in his current role.

liz
30th April 2019, 01:20 AM
I understood they were playing him as a rebounding defender.

Clarke rapt to be back - NMFC.com.au (https://m.nmfc.com.au/news/2018-03-21/clarke-rapt-to-be-back)
Swans recruit ready to fill vacant Hannebery role - AFL.com.au (https://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-12/swans-recruit-clarke-ready-to-fill-vacant-hannebery-role)

Which I would classify as a mostly outside role.

Ludwig
30th April 2019, 10:47 AM
On the evidence of Saturday, I'd much prefer someone like Fox to get a chance in Clarke's role (whatever that is, exactly).There's a video interview with Fox on the Swans' website today. He mentioned that the coaches had a talk with him about getting back to basics and it's improved his game, at least it did on Saturday. He's played some good football and he has a well rounded game, in that his skills are quite good, he runs well and does the physical stuff too, so his best footy is AFL quality. For some reason his game fell away the back half of last year. I hope Saturday was his resurrection. He's someone who can come right into the side if needed.

I think we have the right personnel to improve. We need to get the defense settled so they get used to working together. Every good team has a well oiled back line to move the ball quickly out of defense. Without Reg, Macca and Smith, we're playing like a school yard pick-up team. Getting COR and Stoddart into the side and deciding on the 3rd key defender (Melican, Reid or McCartin) should be done asap. Then just play them together for a string of games and hopefully we'll see some improvement.

Maybe by June, Ling will have build his game up enough to make an AFL debut. I like what I see so far. He's another player with pace and precision kicking that should make a big difference.

COR, Stoddart and Ling make for a significant boost in running and kicking power compared to the side we put out last week.

ugg
30th April 2019, 11:24 AM
Buddy ruled out but Hayward may return.

Ralph Dawg
30th April 2019, 11:46 AM
Buddy ruled out but Hayward may return.
Surely we must play Cameron this week. Sinclair can play FF, give us a genuine target. Stef Martin is an undersized ruck, Cameron should have a good shot at the stoppages. Plus he has shown he can clunk a mark and is a good kick. The only doubt is whether he had the tank to run with Stef but with Sinclair and Reid to give him a break, I think he will be fine and this is the ideal week to bring him in.

longmile
30th April 2019, 12:15 PM
Surely we must play Cameron this week. Sinclair can play FF, give us a genuine target. Stef Martin is an undersized ruck, Cameron should have a good shot at the stoppages. Plus he has shown he can clunk a mark and is a good kick. The only doubt is whether he had the tank to run with Stef but with Sinclair and Reid to give him a break, I think he will be fine and this is the ideal week to bring him in.

Agreed. Also we have to play COR. I'd bring in Rose for Ronke if Hayward doesn't get up.

Any news on Menzel? I saw he didnt return and play ressies last week.

chalbilto
30th April 2019, 01:11 PM
Agreed. Also we have to play COR. I'd bring in Rose for Ronke if Hayward doesn't get up.

Any news on Menzel? I saw he didnt return and play ressies last week.

Menzel is out until maybe next week in the reserve as per Longmire's press conference yesterday.
Listening to Longmire he gave me the impression that he sounded really positive and relieved as if the weight of expectation has been lifted viz; making the finals, rebuilding and maintaining the status. He sounded really excited about having a proper training oval next to the SCG, taking into consideration the construction works in the area viz; Allianz Stadium rebuild and the light rail works.
As a supporter I can accept that the club will not achieve finals this year and that the next wave of young footballers are to come through. I am optimistic that this will happen and I would like to see Mills and Florent playing in the midfield, Cor and Stoddart brought in. Stick with McCartin up forward, persist with Melican, Thurlow and Allir down back, play Dawson half back, Lloyd on a wing. Parker and Kennedy a mix of forward/midfield.
Back to the reserves for Clarke and Ronke to get confidence and form.

MattW
30th April 2019, 02:22 PM
There's a video interview with Fox on the Swans' website today. He mentioned that the coaches had a talk with him about getting back to basics and it's improved his game, at least it did on Saturday. He's played some good football and he has a well rounded game, in that his skills are quite good, he runs well and does the physical stuff too, so his best footy is AFL quality. For some reason his game fell away the back half of last year. I hope Saturday was his resurrection. He's someone who can come right into the side if needed.

I think we have the right personnel to improve. We need to get the defense settled so they get used to working together. Every good team has a well oiled back line to move the ball quickly out of defense. Without Reg, Macca and Smith, we're playing like a school yard pick-up team. Getting COR and Stoddart into the side and deciding on the 3rd key defender (Melican, Reid or McCartin) should be done asap. Then just play them together for a string of games and hopefully we'll see some improvement.

Maybe by June, Ling will have build his game up enough to make an AFL debut. I like what I see so far. He's another player with pace and precision kicking that should make a big difference.

COR, Stoddart and Ling make for a significant boost in running and kicking power compared to the side we put out last week.

Good one, agree with all of this.

Markwebbos
30th April 2019, 02:27 PM
Menzel is out until maybe next week in the reserve as per Longmire's press conference yesterday.
Listening to Longmire he gave me the impression that he sounded really positive and relieved as if the weight of expectation has been lifted viz; making the finals, rebuilding and maintaining the status. He sounded really excited about having a proper training oval next to the SCG, taking into consideration the construction works in the area viz; Allianz Stadium rebuild and the light rail works.
As a supporter I can accept that the club will not achieve finals this year and that the next wave of young footballers are to come through. I am optimistic that this will happen and I would like to see Mills and Florent playing in the midfield, Cor and Stoddart brought in. Stick with McCartin up forward, persist with Melican, Thurlow and Allir down back, play Dawson half back, Lloyd on a wing. Parker and Kennedy a mix of forward/midfield.
Back to the reserves for Clarke and Ronke to get confidence and form.

Lets see what this week brings at selection and at the Gabbatoir?
I can handle a down year if it will be used to set us up for the future.

Markwebbos
30th April 2019, 02:32 PM
According to the AFL, Kizza is "in the mix" to return this week?

In the mix: Who's pushing for selection for round seven? - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-30/in-the-mix-whos-pushing-for-selection-for-round-seven)

What do others feel about that?

I really don't think Jack should come back. I think the club should continue with the (admittedly enforced - well pointed out Liz) youth policy. The only argument I can think of would be for Jack to lead the forward line in the absence of Buddy. But why can't Sam Reid do that?

AnnieH
30th April 2019, 02:37 PM
I'd say change them all, but...

Mark26
30th April 2019, 03:04 PM

In the mix: Who's pushing for selection for round seven? - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-30/in-the-mix-whos-pushing-for-selection-for-round-seven)

I really don't think Jack should come back. I think the club should continue with the (admittedly enforced - well pointed out Liz) youth policy. The only argument I can think of would be for Jack to lead the forward line in the absence of Buddy. But why can't Sam Reid do that?
I'd much rather Jack can stay in the seconds and help the next gen with some onfield leadership and coaching. It's time to give another player a decent run in our squad. COR, Fox and Rose should all come in ahead of Jack as they have upside (maybe).

Ralph Dawg
30th April 2019, 03:14 PM
I'd much rather Jack can stay in the seconds and help the next gen with some onfield leadership and coaching. It's time to give another player a decent run in our squad. COR, Fox and Rose should all come in ahead of Jack as they have upside (maybe).
If Jack is brought in, it makes a mockery of rebuilding for the future. As well, the form of others such as Fox, Rose, COR, Stoddart and Cameron is far superior.

dimelb
30th April 2019, 03:16 PM
I love Kieren and have great respect for what he has achieved, especially in our most recent flag, but if he is running into old age fragility he should stay in the Seconds as Mark26 suggests. It's an arena where he still has a lot to offer.

Ruck'n'Roll
30th April 2019, 03:48 PM
I think Ronke may have forgotten what got him into the team in the first place, he's only making 1.6 tackles per game this year
His 7 goals against the Hawks was astonishing, but tricky to repeat, perhaps he should aim to equal the 10 tackles he made during that game instead - a more achievable goal?

Matty10
30th April 2019, 04:10 PM
If Jack is brought in, it makes a mockery of rebuilding for the future. As well, the form of others such as Fox, Rose, COR, Stoddart and Cameron is far superior.

I don't think the process of rebuilding necessitates the removal of veterans from the list or just playing youth. There has to be a balance and a plan to carry it out. Having said that, you also have to be getting value from your senior players. I am not sure we are getting much value from Jack and expect that this is his last year of AFL. Other senior players, like McVeigh for instance, can add stability and leadership that is needed across all lines. I hope he comes back into the side soon, and given his form, I hope he also runs around for us next year.

Jack should only play if the coaches (and other players) believe he is offering something that is needed on-field other than what the stat sheet shows.

Swanny40519
30th April 2019, 06:49 PM
I would hope to see some team and positional changes that will enable us to win a game - which would provide a great pressure valve relief for the players, improve the negative attitude of a lot of supporters and be damned good overall for the club.

Agree with above - we need to find the right balance and based on our injury list and current form of some of the younger players is not easy. I have been critical of Horse many times in the past, but I think the penny has dropped and he is trying to play a more attacking style of football, however the talent list and form is not good.

30th April 2019, 07:46 PM
Jack did little before being injured to warrant auto selection. Reward those performing in the NEAFL IF they are seen as part of our future.

On last weeks showing COR, Fox & maybe Wicks should feature this week.

Old S.M.Blood
30th April 2019, 07:58 PM
Horse not taking a "RISK" with Buddy this week. Still a bit sore . Channel 7 melb.

aguy
30th April 2019, 08:47 PM
I too have breathed a sigh of relief after horses press conferences this week.

I am completely ok with not making finals this year. We get to play the kids and her games into them. Then we add some top end talent with high draft picks.

That is a terrific basis for the future

Markwebbos
30th April 2019, 09:17 PM
I too have breathed a sigh of relief after horses press conferences this week.

I am completely ok with not making finals this year. We get to play the kids and her games into them. Then we add some top end talent with high draft picks.

That is a terrific basis for the future

I hate to say it, but Ross-the-boss did it pretty well at Freo. A couple of disastrous years on field, which yielded high draft picks, supplemented by some very shrewd trading (Lachie Weller in particular comes to mind) and some bold moves for top end talent... That and a less defensive gameplan.

Wonder if we might burn some future trades this year to bring in the best talent via trade, draft and free agency we can.

I see talk of Brandon Ellis changing clubs at the end of year. I'm not saying he's what we need, but he may be available.

S.S. Bleeder
30th April 2019, 11:01 PM

As far as I'm concerned, unless a player is going to be playing with us next year then they should be playing ressies. Jacks been poor for a couple of years now and Grundy is too slow for the modern game. Both of them should provide some guidance for the youngsters in the NEAFL. Smith might actually play another year so I'm happy for him to players seniors if that's the case. I'm undecided about McVeigh. He's still a good player and provides great leadership but he'll be taking the spot of COR or another youngster so I'd probably err on the side of putting him in the NEAFL too. We should rest the other players at times during the season to minimise injuries and give other players opportunity. Rest Buddy if necessary to make sure he is 100% ready for round 1 next year and hopefully prolong his career.

You need to be careful not to get rid off too much experience from the seniors as the youngsters learn from these guys. I'd like to see the club experiment a little and give the youngsters at least a few games in a row to see how they settle and to try them in different positions as well. Continue to play Clarke and Thurlow to see how they settle and adapt.

Although this year is gone for us it exciting to see people, including some at the club acknowledge this. I'm happy for us to bottom out this year low enough that we can select the best young gun, ie Rowell, that we have our eyes on. We've got a great young list but we just need that elite midfielder to cap it off. I'd also like to see us target a good tap ruckman from another club, as we did with Mummy, Jolly and Ball.

1st May 2019, 09:11 AM
After Longmire's statement, selection this week will be the most interesting for quite some time.

Kumarangk
1st May 2019, 11:40 AM
Funny how some players have a shorter playing life than others.Jack is not yet 32 but is past it, same as Hannebury. Something to do with their high intensity work rate & meters when at their peak ? Lack of true ball skills and elite vision haven't helped as well. Just interesting

Markwebbos
1st May 2019, 01:29 PM
Funny how some players have a shorter playing life than others.Jack is not yet 32 but is past it, same as Hannebury. Something to do with their high intensity work rate & meters when at their peak ? Lack of true ball skills and elite vision haven't helped as well. Just interesting

Hannebery breaking down so young is unusual. Maybe they will be able to "rebuild" him at the Saints?

- - - Updated - - -

This on the AFL website today, talking about COR in an article entitled "Why can't he get a game?"

Why can't he get a game? Your club's missing men - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-01/why-cant-he-get-a-game)

Irish defender Colin O'Riordan showed some positive signs in three games last year but he was dropped after his only appearance this season against Adelaide in round two, when he gave away a costly 100m penalty. The 23-year-old has dominated at reserves level but surprisingly can't crack into the backline set-up in the AFL side, despite the absence of Jarrad McVeigh and Nick Smith. His speed and dash off half-back would be important for the Swans.

How does he get back in?

O'Riordan's decision-making lets him down at times, but he's skilful and loves to take the game on, so if he can clean up that area of his game, he should get more opportunities. He's averaged more than 30 possessions per game in four reserves games so far, and had 42 against GWS last week, but needs to ensure he's got the mix right between defending his opponent and providing an attacking option. - Adam Curley

Melbourne_Blood
1st May 2019, 02:02 PM
Hanners has pumped out 200 games at 27 years of age and his put his body on the line in most of those , as well as racking up big km’s. Not surprising at all really. There’s only so much a body can take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st May 2019, 02:08 PM
"His speed and dash off half-back would be important for the Swans" - I want Adam Curley on the Match Committee!

If COR doesn't offer lots more right now than Clarke, plus lots more upside, then I'm watching our games with my eyes closed.

wolftone57
1st May 2019, 03:37 PM
"His speed and dash off half-back would be important for the Swans" - I want Adam Curley on the Match Committee!

If COR doesn't offer lots more right now than Clarke, plus lots more upside, then I'm watching our games with my eyes closed.I agree. Clarke is hopeless. Last week they actually had to play Clarke forward to manage the damage. His decision making and basic skill errors were extremely costly. Then early in the third he gave away three balls in a row through under 9's clangers. He's gone as far as I'm concerned.

Ronke, Clarke, Blakey were all pretty bad. But I will say it is hard to play against a back line that is so talented and has an extra. Only one marking forward, McCartin was easy to counter. Reid thrown down back. The forwards had no chance with Horse's game plan.

I'm quite willing to persevere with Thurlow and Melican. COR needs to come in. By the way I'm not sure what Blakey's role really is? Is it leading tall forward? High marking target? If that the idea the it is a @@@@ up. Play Rowbottom and Dawson through the guts they may just surprise. Take risks. Nobody who didn't take risks achieved anything

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

longmile
1st May 2019, 05:42 PM
I agree. Clarke is hopeless. Last week they actually had to play Clarke forward to manage the damage. His decision making and basic skill errors were extremely costly. Then early in the third he gave away three balls in a row through under 9's clangers. He's gone as far as I'm concerned.

Ronke, Clarke, Blakey were all pretty bad. But I will say it is hard to play against a back line that is so talented and has an extra. Only one marking forward, McCartin was easy to counter. Reid thrown down back. The forwards had no chance with Horse's game plan.

I'm quite willing to persevere with Thurlow and Melican. COR needs to come in. By the way I'm not sure what Blakey's role really is? Is it leading tall forward? High marking target? If that the idea the it is a @@@@ up. Play Rowbottom and Dawson through the guts they may just surprise. Take risks. Nobody who didn't take risks achieved anything

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Agreed with this.

I'd drop Ronke, Clarke and Blakey and bring in Cameron (Sinclair to play forward), Rose and COR

MattW
1st May 2019, 07:19 PM
Agreed with this.

I'd drop Ronke, Clarke and Blakey and bring in Cameron (Sinclair to play forward), Rose and COR

I agree with wolftone's post, too. Also agree with your outs, but I'm not convinced Rose would improve us. I'd like to see Fox in.

Ralph Dawg
1st May 2019, 07:25 PM
Agreed with this.

I feel that Blakey is not a marking forward. He's too light a frame and easily gets worked over by older and physically more solid opponents. He seems to be at his best with a bit of room to move, where his speed and evasion comes into play. I know many disagree, but he needs to play on a wing. That's where I ultimately see him doing most for us. He's not going to turn into Lockett in the short or long term but may become our version of Bont or Cripps.

Markwebbos
1st May 2019, 08:59 PM
I agree with wolftone's post, too. Also agree with your outs, but I'm not convinced Rose would improve us. I'd like to see Fox in.

How about Hayward for Ronke?

MattW
1st May 2019, 09:02 PM
How about Hayward for Ronke?

Oops, yes.

dejavoodoo44
2nd May 2019, 07:29 AM
Just checked the weather. Looks like it's going to rain for most of Saturday. Better pick some wet trackers.

dejavoodoo44
2nd May 2019, 07:34 AM
Hanners has pumped out 200 games at 27 years of age and his put his body on the line in most of those , as well as racking up big km’s. Not surprising at all really. There’s only so much a body can take

I tend to think, that if the umpires didn't turf the contact below the knees rule, in the 2016 GF, then we still might have a fit and firing Hannebery. He never seemed to be the same, after being taken out in the final quarter.

caj23
2nd May 2019, 08:49 AM
Just checked the weather. Looks like it's going to rain for most of Saturday. Better pick some wet trackers.

Which of the talls go out for a small?

Blakey for mine

dejavoodoo44
2nd May 2019, 10:46 AM

Blakey for mine

Probably, though it would be handy if he didn't keep yoyoing, between the firsts and the NEAFL. Perhaps leave him in the NEAFL, until he starts to dominate. From Saturday's game, I think Fox deserves a promotion.

It will be interesting to see if the weather saves Ronke? On NEAFL form, Wicks is pushing for a small forward role. But as Liz has pointed out, as a category B rookie, he may not be eligible. I'd also go O'Riordan for Clarke.

Markwebbos
2nd May 2019, 10:48 AM

Blakey for mine

I already had Blakey or McCartin making way, but also Ronke.
Didn't Stoddart play in this game last year. Maybe it's time for another game.

I worry this means we will be more likely to see the return of KJ and less likely to see Cameron get a run

barry
2nd May 2019, 11:25 AM
Cameron would have to be the most over-hyped NEAFL player weve ever had.
He is a tall forward who can ruck. Much like Sinclair.
He is like for like replacement for Sinclair, and the only way he would get a game would be if both Sinclair and Naismith were injured at the same time.

Our desperate need is a pure ruckman.

2nd May 2019, 12:20 PM
Just checked the weather. Looks like it's going to rain for most of Saturday. Better pick some wet trackers.Well that's it settled then, I'll get my wish, who better to play in the wet than COR, grew up playing in the wet all year round!

Markwebbos
2nd May 2019, 01:33 PM
Cameron would have to be the most over-hyped NEAFL player weve ever had.
He is a tall forward who can ruck. Much like Sinclair.
He is like for like replacement for Sinclair, and the only way he would get a game would be if both Sinclair and Naismith were injured at the same time.

Our desperate need is a pure ruckman.

I thought it was the other way round. Cameron is tall enough to be a genuine ruckman at 205cm (c.f. Sinkers who is "only" 200cm). And the Swans website describes him that way.

"The young ruckman is eyeing more senior footy in 2019 after carving out a brilliant 2018 campaign. The 23-year-old finished runner-up in the NEAFL MVP award, was selected for the NEAFL Team of the Year, helped the Swans book a ticket to the NEAFL Grand Final and was rewarded his AFL debut. Not only is Cameron a handful for opposition ruckmen, he’s proven he can impact on the scoreboard when rotating through the forward line."

Sandrevan
2nd May 2019, 05:41 PM
agree with others above

out: Clarke, Ronke, Blakey
In : Rose (for Ronke), COR (for Clarke), Cameron (for Blakey)

Mills to play midfield replacing Clarke and COR into defence. Cameron to be main ruckman and Sinclair to play mostly forward. Rose for Ronke as a straight swap.

The Lions haven't beaten the Swans for 10 years - I think that might change on Saturday but I hope not.

The Big Cat
2nd May 2019, 06:26 PM
If it's wet it might suit us for once. Lions are a fast, play-on, move the ball quickly, and switch across the half back line. Plus if the ball is slippery, there's a chance some of our passes might inadvertently hit a target.

ugg
2nd May 2019, 07:23 PM
in Fox Hayward Jack
Out Clarke Ronke Rowbottom

Emg O’Riordan Rowbottom McInerney Reynolds

lwjoyner
2nd May 2019, 07:25 PM
at last a genuine help for Sinclair. hope rose accepts game and makes getting him dropped impossible, really shown nothing in snrs before.

stevoswan
2nd May 2019, 07:26 PM
I agree with Ronke and Clarke out.....do not agree with Rowbottom out.

I agree with Hayward and Fox in.....do not agree with Jack back in.

Again, poor COR.

AB Swannie
2nd May 2019, 07:31 PM
at last a genuine help for Sinclair. hope rose accepts game and makes getting him dropped impossible, really shown nothing in snrs before.

Say again? Is it possible that you’ve looked at the wrong team list?

Markwebbos
2nd May 2019, 07:33 PM

Again, poor COR.

Agree with all of this except I'd rather have seen COR ahead of Fox
Yes almost anyone rather than Jack... But I'm trusting the coaches to get the mix of youth and experience right. Lets see how they go on Saturday?

Hotpotato
2nd May 2019, 07:33 PM
Who’s going to help Sinclair?

AB Swannie
2nd May 2019, 07:36 PM

Again, poor COR.

These are my exact initial thoughts.

My only guess is that they want Rowbottom to work on very specific things of his game and it is easier to do that in the NEAFL than in first grade. It is somewhat a fallacy that a player will develop more in first grade than the NEAFL.

Markwebbos
2nd May 2019, 07:37 PM
Who’s going to help Sinclair?

I guess Sam Reid / AA again

Mel_C
2nd May 2019, 07:41 PM
It feels like lately every time we play in Queensland it rains. I remember one game it looked like we were playing on a lake!

2nd May 2019, 07:41 PM
Glad that the worse performers have been dropped and Rowbottom had a taste but didn't set the world alight.

Absolutely pissed about no COR and Gold Pass Jack glides back in! If Jack doesn't perform to a much higher standard than recently then he has to go.

COR, what more can he do? This is Dawson late 2017 all over again and before him Tom Mitchell. COR be asking for a trade.

Jeynez
2nd May 2019, 07:42 PM
Kennedy is our only player above 30 in the side. While it is a rebuilding year, I still think it's good to have veterans like Jack out there to mix with the youth.

ernie koala
2nd May 2019, 07:45 PM
Bringing Jack in purely because of "experience" (can't be any other reason) is a crap decision...

He's been totally ineffective for a long time now, and I expect the same on Saturday.

If we're rebuilding.... then let's rebuild..... stop fluffing around.

Ralph Dawg
2nd May 2019, 07:46 PM
in Fox Hayward Jack

I just don't get it with Jack. There's minimal upside to having in the side at this point of his career, given his recent form and run of injuries. The only thing I can come up with is that with the restrictions of runners, his experience helps with the younger players tactical play. If that's the case, maybe we drafted Stevie J or Nick Davis in the midseason and put them out there!

2nd May 2019, 07:56 PM
Nick Davis has never been fitter and boy he can kick!!!

longmile
2nd May 2019, 08:05 PM
Wtf does COR have to do to get a game. Ridiculous. Not only is he in our best 22 and offers the run and defensive skills that we'reing but also allows mills to play midfield.

It'll also be interesting to see what role Fox plays. He's a bit of a licorice allsorts player

AB Swannie
2nd May 2019, 08:06 PM
I'm not exactly sure what forum is the best to post this but thought it was interesting nonetheless:

Ralph Dawg
2nd May 2019, 08:10 PM
I'm not exactly sure what forum is the best to post this but thought it was interesting nonetheless:

As well as on field coaching, McVeigh can justify his position on his current playing form (when not injured). Jack, other than a cracker of a game v GWS late last season, hasn't shown great form in recent times.

dejavoodoo44
2nd May 2019, 08:52 PM
It feels like lately every time we play in Queensland it rains. I remember one game it looked like we were playing on a lake!
Yes, that was at Carrara in 2016. I couldn't get to the ground, because of the flooded roads. Last real dry game was probably also there in 2014 or 15? The last couple at the Gabba were wet. While the previous one at the Gabba was clear skies for most of the time, except for a brief, unexpected, squally shower, that demonstrated that the stand roof design, didn't offer much protection from the rain.
Lucky I'm an atheist, otherwise I'd be feeling cursed by karma, or something.

Melbourne_Blood
2nd May 2019, 09:26 PM
Can’t wait for COR to get traded for pick 76 next year ...

waswan
2nd May 2019, 10:36 PM
Say again? Is it possible that you’ve looked at the wrong team list?

The way Horse is picking the team id say he has Hayward off the back flank Fox in the Ruck and Jack doing the kick ins......absolute muppet

3rd May 2019, 08:05 AM
Can’t wait for COR to get traded for pick 76 next year ...Probably ask to be traded in the Mid Season draft via a new rule created on the run by the AFL! Yep, we'll get nothing for him and he'll become a best 22 somewhere else. Match Committee is doing my head in, I need to take a break from footy

lwjoyner
3rd May 2019, 08:45 AM
what would the selectors (Longmire) do if Naismith was available. leave Sinclair our no play the both of them what have they got against Cameron.

Ruck'n'Roll
3rd May 2019, 09:20 AM
Nick Davis has never been fitter and boy he can kick!!!

I whimsically suggested that on another thread, the Swans do have a tradition of turning to a middle aged Davis when on the slide: Craig post Edelsten, Nick post Ireland - it's got symmetry.

In all seriousness, I can't see why Cameron and especially COR aren't getting a game

barry
3rd May 2019, 11:05 AM
what would the selectors (Longmire) do if Naismith was available. leave Sinclair our no play the both of them what have they got against Cameron.

The problem with Cameron is he has shown nothing at AFL level, and on occation been beaten by NEAFL standard ruckmen.
He is a forward who can ruck. We have Sinclair, Reid, McCartin who can all do that. We need a ruckman who can ruck.
All our eggs are in the Naismith basket.

Sinclair was played as a forward with Naismith before, and I think that would be the setup with a fully fit list.
It does mean that one of Reid or McCartin would need to play down back as we would be too tall with a forward line of Sinclair, Buddy, Reid and McCartin.

Melbourne_Blood
3rd May 2019, 11:35 AM
The problem with Cameron is he has shown nothing at AFL level, and on occation been beaten by NEAFL standard ruckmen.
He is a forward who can ruck. We have Sinclair, Reid, McCartin who can all do that. We need a ruckman who can ruck.
All our eggs are in the Naismith basket.

Sinclair was played as a forward with Naismith before, and I think that would be the setup with a fully fit list.
It does mean that one of Reid or McCartin would need to play down back as we would be too tall with a forward line of Sinclair, Buddy, Reid and McCartin.

Nothing at AFL level, in the single solitary game he has played at AFL level , a game in which our whole team sucked .. can’t speak on the NEAFL stuff other than he clearly goes alright in there judging by his accolades last year

bloodspirit
3rd May 2019, 12:02 PM
I am as surprised as the next person to see Jack selected ahead of O'Riordan. Nothing in his formline shows he warrants it and, unlike Colin, he is the past not the future. I feel badly for COR. However, on the flipside:

1. I do get that it particularly makes sense to play experienced senior leaders who can direct the play, especially while developing a young team and more especially with the new rules regarding runners. In fact I think it makes more sense to give games to young promising players and veterans than journeymen who aren't likely to be long term best 22 at a time when we're not contending for finals. Arguably Fox fits into this journeyman category - great depth to call on but someone with perhaps not enough upside to hold promise of a long AFL career. I haven't seen enough of Fox to really suggest this applies to him (haven't been watching reserves as much as I used to) but it is an impression I have gleaned from reading threads and posts on RWO.

2. I am not too worried about losing COR from the club unless we want to let him go (like Newman). Note we did keep Dawson (who does now play seniors) and we did get Mitchell into the seniors and only let him go much later when we were in a salary cap squeeze.

3. Given the match committee has shown a willingness to blood new talent I think there are specific reasons COR has not been selected more and, despite his good form in the NEAFL, he hasn't yet done enough and/or there aren't enough spots to reward him with a spot yet. The spaces that were available (Clarke, Ronke) have been given to others who have been deemed more worthy. We should be glad that the Match Committee was willing to dump the players who were widely perceived to be underperforming and trust that their greater knowledge of the players outside the 22 has led them to choose the right replacements.

Really hope COR gets a run soon. Possibly at the expense of Thurlow. But also glad Thurlow is being given an extended run to try and settle in the side.

longmile
3rd May 2019, 12:07 PM
Really hope COR gets a run soon. Possibly at the expense of Thurlow. But also glad Thurlow is being given an extended run to try and settle in the side.

Or put Mills in the midfield and give them both a run?

ugg
3rd May 2019, 12:18 PM
It will be interesting to see where they play Fox. He played mainly midfield in the last NEAFL game (15 clearances!) but he's unlikely to be used there in the seniors. His senior games last year were mainly as a forward (I remember that great mark he took in the forward line against Geelong(?)) and sometimes ruck but in the preseason and in earlier NEAFL games he's been played as a tallish running halfback. He's reasonably pacy although not express and could be the running option we are looking for.

It could allow Cunningham to move from defence where he's played the last week games back to the wing and take Clarke's spot.

Markwebbos
3rd May 2019, 12:47 PM
Or put Mills in the midfield and give them both a run?

It's been noted elsewhere before, that moving Mills into the midfield is going to make it slower, unless you move out at least one of Parker / Kennedy, which I think Horse will be very reluctant to do.

I'd be happy to go down the Geelong path, and give the younger mids a chance (by moving the older players out of the centre square), especially at this point in time. Kennedy can't go on a whole lot longer in there.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be interesting to see where they play Fox. He played mainly midfield in the last NEAFL game (15 clearances!) but he's unlikely to be used there in the seniors. His senior games last year were mainly as a forward (I remember that great mark he took in the forward line against Geelong(?)) and sometimes ruck but in the preseason and in earlier NEAFL games he's been played as a tallish running halfback. He's reasonably pacy although not express and could be the running option we are looking for.

It could allow Cunningham to move from defence where he's played the last week games back to the wing and take Clarke's spot.

I'm really keen to keep Harry C in defence as he's virtually the only running player we've got in there.

bloodspirit
3rd May 2019, 02:22 PM
in Fox Hayward Jack

What do you make of Reynolds as an emergency? Does this mean we can spare him from the NEAFL? Is it a recognition and pat on the back for good work? Are we meant seriously to think he might be selected for seniors if the right person gets injured?

- - - Updated - - -

How has Reynolds been going in the Reserves? I haven't watched so far and I haven't noticed much in the way of commentary about his efforts either.

MattW
3rd May 2019, 02:30 PM

Yes, Geelong. The most memorable win of last year. Watched on my phone from a motel room at 6am the next morning after a wedding the night before. Maguire called that last quarter really well - his call on Hayward's 'banana bender' winner was particularly rousing.

I agree, his bounce out of defence could be helpful.

longmile
3rd May 2019, 02:43 PM
Yes, Geelong. The most memorable win of last year. Watched on my phone from a motel room at 6am the next morning after a wedding the night before. Maguire called that last quarter really well - his call on Hayward's 'banana bender' winner was particularly rousing.

I agree, his bounce out of defence could be helpful.

Last year had so many great close games. We were punching well above our weight which made those tight wins so exciting. I can count at least 5 games like that last year.

crackedactor
3rd May 2019, 09:32 PM
I am as surprised as the next person to see Jack selected ahead of O'Riordan. Nothing in his formline shows he warrants it and, unlike Colin, he is the past not the future. I feel badly for COR. However, on the flipside:

1. I do get that it particularly makes sense to play experienced senior leaders who can direct the play, especially while developing a young team and more especially with the new rules regarding runners. In fact I think it makes more sense to give games to young promising players and veterans than journeymen who aren't likely to be long term best 22 at a time when we're not contending for finals. Arguably Fox fits into this journeyman category - great depth to call on but someone with perhaps not enough upside to hold promise of a long AFL career. I haven't seen enough of Fox to really suggest this applies to him (haven't been watching reserves as much as I used to) but it is an impression I have gleaned from reading threads and posts on RWO.

2. I am not too worried about losing COR from the club unless we want to let him go (like Newman). Note we did keep Dawson (who does now play seniors) and we did get Mitchell into the seniors and only let him go much later when we were in a salary cap squeeze.

3. Given the match committee has shown a willingness to blood new talent I think there are specific reasons COR has not been selected more and, despite his good form in the NEAFL, he hasn't yet done enough and/or there aren't enough spots to reward him with a spot yet. The spaces that were available (Clarke, Ronke) have been given to others who have been deemed more worthy. We should be glad that the Match Committee was willing to dump the players who were widely perceived to be underperforming and trust that their greater knowledge of the players outside the 22 has led them to choose the right replacements.

If you want draft picks and the wooden spoon, not giving a game to COR makes sense. 40 possessions last week and 3 BOGs in a row. Starting to sound like the Tom Mitchell story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troyjones2525
4th May 2019, 02:38 AM
Or put Mills in the midfield and give them both a run?Yes! Yes! Yes! It seems so simple yet the match committee feels otherwise....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

troyjones2525
4th May 2019, 02:44 AM
What do you make of Reynolds as an emergency? Does this mean we can spare him from the NEAFL? Is it a recognition and pat on the back for good work? Are we meant seriously to think he might be selected for seniors if the right person gets injured?

- - - Updated - - -

How has Reynolds been going in the Reserves? I haven't watched so far and I haven't noticed much in the way of commentary about his efforts either.He looks like a player! For a first year player he's been reasonably reliable down back, has neat skills and competes hard! I see a future in him as a solid medium defender, who can actually defend! That seems to be a position we are struggling in hence the reason Mills is still playing back there.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

bloodspirit
4th May 2019, 10:14 AM
Thanks for your thoughts Troy.

MattW
19th May 2019, 02:04 PM
Last year had so many great close games. We were punching well above our weight which made those tight wins so exciting. I can count at least 5 games like that last year.

Since this exchange, the Swans have managed to tight wins punching above our weight; both fun. Fair play to Longmire.

Blood Fever
19th May 2019, 02:22 PM
Since this exchange, the Swans have managed to tight wins punching above our weight; both fun. Fair play to Longmire.

There is no doubt that the players, young and old, still want to play for him. Respect is a powerful virtue.

MattW
19th May 2019, 02:31 PM
There is no doubt that the players, young and old, still want to play for him. Respect is a powerful virtue.

Yes, and he's found apt roles for Dawson, Florent, Blakey, McCartin and now maybe Clarke. Settled on a defence and it's improving.