PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Bob Hawke - s Swans man

Sandridge
17th May 2019, 10:15 AM
Was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny my memory that ex-PM Bob Hawke was a South Melbourne supporter and might have even been number 1 ticket holder at some stage?

Fully realise my ageing brain may be playing tricks on me.

neilfws
17th May 2019, 10:18 AM
and might have even been number 1 ticket holder at some stage?

Number 1 in 1982.

Mr Hawke passes peacefully - sydneyswans.com.au (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-05-16/mr-hawke-passes-peacefully)

KSAS
17th May 2019, 10:49 AM
I recall seeing a photo of Bob Hawke with Bobby Skilton post game in the South Melbourne change rooms.

Roadrunner
17th May 2019, 11:11 AM
Being a top bloke, I’m sure he was! Can’t see him supporting any other team.....

Doctor J.
17th May 2019, 01:01 PM
Definitely a South Melbourne supporter and was no 1 ticket holder in our first year in Sydney

liz
19th May 2019, 07:31 AM
This thread had meandered away from its initial connection to the Swans. I've split the thread off. The non- Swans related discussion can be continued in Open Chat.

Foreign Legion
19th May 2019, 10:09 AM
As he was No. 1 ticket holder why weren't the players wearing black armbands last night? Seems a bit strange to me when they wear them for lesser reasons at times.

KSAS
19th May 2019, 10:23 AM
As he was No. 1 ticket holder why weren't the players wearing black armbands last night? Seems a bit strange to me when they wear them for lesser reasons at times.

Thought the same. Did Carlton wear black armbands after Malcom Fraser's passing in 2015? He was also their No.1 ticket holder.

Blood Fever
19th May 2019, 10:26 AM
Thought the same. Did Carlton wear black armbands after Malcom Fraser's passing in 2015? He was also their No.1 ticket holder.

Fair point but Hawke's association with the club was fairly fleeting IIRC

Foreign Legion
19th May 2019, 10:35 AM
He used to regularly attend games at the Lake Oval - confirmed by Barrie Cassidy on radio yesterday.

KSAS
26th May 2019, 02:30 PM
:redface::redface:
I recall seeing a photo of Bob Hawke with Bobby Skilton post game in the South Melbourne change rooms.

Found the photo! It was in the book "In The Blood". Taken in 1971 after Skilton played his last game, with his dad & Bob Hawke by his side

This is my first attempt at attaching a photo so i hope everyone can access/open it. Had trouble with my previous attempts as you can see! Sorry about that!:redface: