PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Changes for round 14 v Hawthorn

Markwebbos
10th June 2019, 06:41 PM
There's some tough decisions to be made with so many players potentially available after the bye: Kennedy, Jones, Cunningham, Hayward and Fox. McVeigh out helps a little. I can see Menzel getting dropped again. I really can't see any of Clarke, Dawson, Florent etc making way.

I suspect that at least one of these players won't be ready.

IN: JPK, Jones, Cunningham, Hayward
OUT: Rose, McVeigh, Menzel, Thurlow

barry
10th June 2019, 07:23 PM
You can almost put it down to paira of players fighting for same position.
Hayward v menzel.
McVeigh v Jones
Cunningham v rose.
Jpk comes in automatically, and probably thurlow or Clarke make way.

Blood Fever
10th June 2019, 07:38 PM
You can almost put it down to paira of players fighting for same position.
Hayward v menzel.
McVeigh v Jones
Cunningham v rose.
Jpk comes in automatically, and probably thurlow or Clarke make way.

McVeigh will be out injured I reckon. Sadly, I think he should give it away. Too risky now to select him

Blood Fever
10th June 2019, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=barry;777046]You can almost put it down to paira of players fighting for same position.
Hayward v menzel.
McVeigh v Jones
Cunningham v rose.
Jpk comes in automatically, and probably thurlow or Clarke make way.[/QUOTE

Agree Thurlow goes and Oriordan stays. Jones in. Jpk in. Like to see Menzel stay. Clarke now important tagger. Hayward can have a run in the twos.before he gets back. Like to see Rose get another run. Useful, versatile game apart from one horrible changer.

Ralph Dawg
10th June 2019, 09:41 PM
Clarke's selection or otherwise is tricky. His disposal is just so poor, either missing the mark or putting a team mate under pressure. BUT he has a massive tank on him and is tagging really well. One area we really struggled was a good match up for Liam Ryan. Hawks have Puopulo and Wingard to contain so Cunningham is a must. I liked Menzel's game on the weekend and thought Rose was good enough to deserve another chance.
Ins: JPK Cunningham
Outs: McVeigh Thurlow

Markwebbos
10th June 2019, 10:16 PM
Clarke's selection or otherwise is tricky. His disposal is just so poor, either missing the mark or putting a team mate under pressure. BUT he has a massive tank on him and is tagging really well. One area we really struggled was a good match up for Liam Ryan. Hawks have Puopulo and Wingard to contain so Cunningham is a must. I liked Menzel's game on the weekend and thought Rose was good enough to deserve another chance.
Outs: McVeigh Thurlow

Thought Clarke's disposal has improved significantly. His stats for the game say 95.5% disposal efficiency! Doesn't Wingard have a hamstring injury? One of the mercies of Macca being injured is he won't be (mis)matched up on Puopolo.

10th June 2019, 10:41 PM
Outs: McVeigh ThurlowYou don't guard Puopolo, he's almost cooked and Wingard is out with a hammy.

No way Clarke is demoted now he's found his role as an effective tagger, his disposal seemed much better on Sunday, he stays in for sure. O'Riordan also stays in.

Thurlow and Menzel as last men in and neither reaching great heights Sunday are the ones under the pump. Doubt they'll bring back three from injury, JPK & Jones likely, Cunningham to come back via a run in the NEAFL, Macca unlikely to be available anyway.

Edit: Just read your post Markwebbos, we're on the same page :-)

barry
10th June 2019, 11:32 PM
I think a young team needs a tagger, so there is a strong reason to keep Clarke in.

top40
11th June 2019, 07:27 AM
There's some tough decisions to be made with so many players potentially available after the bye: Kennedy, Jones, Cunningham, Hayward and Fox. McVeigh out helps a little. I can see Menzel getting dropped again. I really can't see any of Clarke, Dawson, Florent etc making way.

I suspect that at least one of these players won't be ready.

IN: JPK, Jones, Cunningham, Hayward
OUT: Rose, McVeigh, Menzel, Thurlow

Not that I’m disagreeing with you here, but it’s interesting to reflect the Swans, 14th on the ladder, omitting three players after 45 point win over the reining premier who are also 4th on the ladder.

11th June 2019, 09:19 AM
Not that I’m disagreeing with you here, but it’s interesting to reflect the Swans, 14th on the ladder, omitting three players after 45 point win over the reining premier who are also 4th on the ladder.Dropping players who only had modest input to the win and bringing in proven high production players strengthens the line up of course.

Still a couple of weeks away and maybe none of the injured are fit to be selected so then it's just finding a replacement for McVeigh.

caj23
11th June 2019, 09:40 AM
Clarke will almost certainly be tagging O'Meara or Henderson, he won't be playing NEAFL

Captain
11th June 2019, 09:43 AM
Jones in for McVeigh.

Kennedy in for Clarke.

Cunningham for Thurlow.

Menzel stays but will need a good game. Haywood to play reserves.

Blood Fever
11th June 2019, 10:42 AM
Jones in for McVeigh.

Kennedy in for Clarke.

Cunningham for Thurlow.

Menzel stays but will need a good game. Haywood to play reserves.

Given our improved form and method, Clarke is a lock.

aguy
11th June 2019, 10:52 AM
I think:

Jones In for McVeigh.
Kennedy In for thurlow.

Rose was good and deserves another game. MenZel was also good esp in the 2nd half and his skill and vision was important setting up goals.

11th June 2019, 11:06 AM
Given our improved form and method, Clarke is a lock.Clarke has been very good the last month negating and in some cases completely shutting down the oppositions key mid, a vital role that makes him best 22 going forward. Do not underestimate the negating role in winning games, Cripps not shut down, Neale shut down, Blues shock win.

AnnieH
11th June 2019, 11:43 AM
I'm available, but after last Sunday, I don't think I'm gunna get picked.
Pity we have injured, I otherwise wouldn't make one change.

Auntie.Gerald
11th June 2019, 12:45 PM
Clarke in lockdown form like on the weekend gives our playmakers so much more freedom

What did everyone think or rose on the weekend ?

He fairly composed and nicely predictable for his team mates

Markwebbos
11th June 2019, 01:11 PM
Thought Rose was OK. 15 touches no tackles. Kicked that great goal in the first quarter and seemed to play all over the ground. I suspect if we get all those cattle back after the bye, he'll end up back in the NEAFL.

stevoswan
11th June 2019, 02:30 PM
Not that I’m disagreeing with you here, but it’s interesting to reflect the Swans, 14th on the ladder, omitting three players after 45 point win over the reining premier who are also 4th on the ladder.

I agree with this....no need to make wholesale changes after a great win. Injuries may decide some changes for the MC but four in, four out is too many under the current circumstances.

I'm with Ralph Dawg on this one:

Ins: JPK, Cunningham (or Jones)
Outs: McVeigh, Thurlow

Menzel and Rose to stay and Hayward back via NEAFL. Healthy competition for senior spots is a good thing.

dimelb
11th June 2019, 03:33 PM
Clarke in lockdown form like on the weekend gives our playmakers so much more freedom

What did everyone think or rose on the weekend ?

He fairly composed and nicely predictable for his team mates

There's a great little segment - I think in Q2 - of Rose handing off to Heeney as he gallops past and making sure he puts it a good metre in front of him. You can't buy that kind of small but invaluable touch. It's one mark of a mature footballer.

stevoswan
11th June 2019, 03:46 PM
There's a great little segment - I think in Q4 - of Rose handing off to Heeney as he gallops past and making sure he puts it a good metre in front of him. You can't buy that kind of small but invaluable touch. It's one mark of a mature footballer.

That handball from Rose was sublime....Heeney didn't have to break stride and he was moving! I was greatly impressed....

chalbilto
11th June 2019, 06:01 PM
That handball from Rose was sublime....Heeney didn't have to break stride and he was moving! I was greatly impressed....

Agreed re Rose. On another player, Clarke should take heed as he wants to handball as soon as he gets it and puts his team mates under immediate pressure. Notwithstanding this he is doing a great job as a lock down player.

Blood Fever
11th June 2019, 08:23 PM
Thought Rose was OK. 15 touches no tackles. Kicked that great goal in the first quarter and seemed to play all over the ground. I suspect if we get all those cattle back after the bye, he'll end up back in the NEAFL.

I wonder if it might be a good idea to give Blakey a spell for three weeks or so. looks very sore and to be feeling the pinch. Think we did this with Heeney in his first year. Would enable Hayward to come back in if he's fit.

Auntie.Gerald
11th June 2019, 08:42 PM
I thought Rose adapted reasonably well to a very challenging day for him

Run with roles on lots of amazing players from Shuey to Sheede etc

But he did make 3 very basic mistakes under no pressure

I think he can evolve from this but there could be other players we should persist with in this rebuild stage

rojo
11th June 2019, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't mind McCartin, along with Hayward having a few games in the NEAFL in order to spread their wings a bit. With Buddy and Reid back in the team up forward and Blakey seemingly finding a little supporting niche for himself and with Dawson flourishing in a marking role around the ground McCartin has sort of been squeezed out. As he is part of our future it would not hurt his development to step back for a few games. Hayward needs to regain confidence especially in front of goal.
I would leave Menzel in if he has pulled up okay. He could add another exciting dimension to our forward line as he gains match fitness. I would also give Rose another opportunity.. So for me Macca and McCartin out and Hayward if fit in the 2's. JPK and Jones in if fit.

barry
11th June 2019, 11:27 PM
A step backward is not a step forward.

rojo
12th June 2019, 03:29 PM
What about a step sideways! He was flung into the team because there was no Reid, no Buddy, (and no Blakey) available. Apart from Sinclair he was just about the only tall in the forward half. He did a great job despite his age and lack of experience. A stint in the reserves would not necessarily be a step backwards for him even in taking a step back.

rojo
12th June 2019, 03:50 PM
What about a step sideways! He was flung into the team because there was no Reid, no Buddy, (and no Blakey) available. Apart from Sinclair he was just about the only tall in the forward half. He did a great job despite his age and lack of experience. A stint in the reserves would not necessarily be a step backwards for him even in taking a step back.

Markwebbos
14th June 2019, 10:55 PM
Hawks play 2 genuine ruckman. Is there any chance Darcy Cameron might get a game?

The Runner
14th June 2019, 11:19 PM
McCartin plays as a true CHF, which is crucial for contests across the middle third of the ground. He also demands a good tall defender, which helps stretch defences trying to cover him, Reid, Buddy and to a lesser extent Blakey.
Plus, we're not going to challenge this year, so learning his craft alongside 21 other AFL quality players is better than NEAFL opponents.

Blood Relative
15th June 2019, 11:28 AM
Out; Mc Veigh
In; JPK

rojo
15th June 2019, 01:23 PM
McCartin plays as a true CHF, which is crucial for contests across the middle third of the ground. He also demands a good tall defender, which helps stretch defences trying to cover him, Reid, Buddy and to a lesser extent Blakey.
Plus, we're not going to challenge this year, so learning his craft alongside 21 other AFL quality players is better than NEAFL opponents.

Yes, I agree with you in that but for such a young player a couple of games here and there in the reserves where he is more or less the 'main man', he gets the opportunity to develop the 'true CHF' side of his game as well.

Mountain Man
15th June 2019, 04:16 PM
McCartin playing on Sicily would be my preferred match up.

The TV last night showed Stratton (who is their Captain!!) continually pinching his opponent on the upper arm. One shot had at least 5 bruises showing on (I think) Fantasia.

rb4x
15th June 2019, 04:53 PM
Stratton is a dirty thug. Was it two weeks ago that we saw TV footage of him continually hitting his opponent in front of the umpire with the umpire apparently amused by it. The report on AFL said that the umpire should have paid a free and then he would stop doing it.The hits were below the force required to make a report but are a horrible look on the game. Pinching falls into the same category and should merit an immediate free kick.

stevoswan
15th June 2019, 05:52 PM
Stratton is a dirty thug. Was it two weeks ago that we saw TV footage of him continually hitting his opponent in front of the umpire with the umpire apparently amused by it. The report on AFL said that the umpire should have paid a free and then he would stop doing it.The hits were below the force required to make a report but are a horrible look on the game. Pinching falls into the same category and should merit an immediate free kick.

He has been sent straight to the tribunal.....also for 'stomping'.....and was also fined for an obscene gesture to the crowd. Some 'captain'.....

Hawk sent straight to Tribunal for pinching and stomping - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-15/hawks-skipper-straight-to-tribunal-for-pinching-and-stomping)

Mel_C
15th June 2019, 08:36 PM
He has been sent straight to the tribunal.....also for 'stomping'.....and was also fined for an obscene gesture to the crowd. Some 'captain'.....

Hawk sent straight to Tribunal for pinching and stomping - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-15/hawks-skipper-straight-to-tribunal-for-pinching-and-stomping)
I saw the stomping incident and I would be very surprised if he didn't miss our game. What great leadership from the captain...he should be copping it way more than Rampe did.

Meg
15th June 2019, 08:41 PM
I saw the stomping incident and I would be very surprised if he didn't miss our game. What great leadership from the captain...he should be copping it way more than Rampe did.

Just saw the vision of the stomp on the AFL site. What a childish, bully-boy action. I agree with both your points Mel.

rb4x
16th June 2019, 12:41 PM
I have now seen vision of the stomp. That should be a multiple week offence. Vision has now been put up of the Hawks v Lions game where Stratton was repeatedly hitting Charlie Cameron and now also seen pinching Cameron leaving bruises similar to what he gave Fantasia. Is Clarko happy for Stratton to continue to represent the club as captain after this? I am disgusted that these niggling offences have crept into the game. I hope the tribunal send a real message that this behaviour is totally unacceptable and that Stratton gets a very long suspension.

Bloods05
16th June 2019, 03:58 PM
I have now seen vision of the stomp. That should be a multiple week offence. Vision has now been put up of the Hawks v Lions game where Stratton was repeatedly hitting Charlie Cameron and now also seen pinching Cameron leaving bruises similar to what he gave Fantasia. Is Clarko happy for Stratton to continue to represent the club as captain after this? I am disgusted that these niggling offences have crept into the game. I hope the tribunal send a real message that this behaviour is totally unacceptable and that Stratton gets a very long suspension.

This stuff has been going on for a very long time. David Rhys-Jones made a career out of it.

rb4x
16th June 2019, 04:30 PM
Rhys-Jones made 42 tribunal appearances and all up was suspended for 22 games. At least we exported him to Carlton. Anything less than four games for Stratton would mean he has gotten off very lightly.

Blood Fever
16th June 2019, 05:15 PM
Rhys-Jones made 42 tribunal appearances and all up was suspended for 22 games. At least we exported him to Carlton. Anything less than four games for Stratton would mean he has gotten off very lightly.

Rhys Jones was a gun and a great team player. He was a bit out of control with us but he was very young. Pity he went to the Blues where he matured and won a Norm Smith.

Bloods05
16th June 2019, 06:25 PM
Rhys Jones was a gun and a great team player. He was a bit out of control with us but he was very young. Pity he went to the Blues where he matured and won a Norm Smith.

But he was always a dirty bugger.

Blood Fever
16th June 2019, 06:28 PM
But he was always a dirty bugger.

Severe case of white line fever

Blood Relative
16th June 2019, 07:16 PM
Out; Mc Veigh
In; JPK

stevoswan
16th June 2019, 07:35 PM
Severe case of white line fever

Rhys Jones motto seemed to be "get them before they get you.":wink:

dejavoodoo44
16th June 2019, 08:54 PM
Rhys Jones motto seemed to be "get them before they get you.":wink:
Strange that he never played for Hawthorn, then?

16th June 2019, 09:06 PM

Hawk sent straight to Tribunal for pinching and stomping - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-15/hawks-skipper-straight-to-tribunal-for-pinching-and-stomping)The kind of stuff you'd expect from the Hawks, they've made an art of this type of low life niggling, remember Sam Mitchell deliberately corking players. Poo and piss scum, hope we flog them. They've got serious list problems too - beautiful!

Kafka's Ghost
17th June 2019, 09:24 AM
The kind of stuff you'd expect from the Hawks, they've made an art of this type of low life niggling, remember Sam Mitchell deliberately corking players. Poo and piss scum, hope we flog them. They've got serious list problems too - beautiful!

I remember Burgoyne deliberately corking Lewis Jetta in the 2012 GF, effectively ending much of his influence until that last wonderful minute of play. It happened right in front of us, and can just be picked up on the Channel 7 footage. The commentators keep saying Jetta “has cramp”; no, he had an almighty corky in his right quad, and played the game out with it. So yes, well-known for their “unsociable football”, the Hawks. Stratton should get at least a couple of weeks.

neilfws
17th June 2019, 09:37 AM
The kind of stuff you'd expect from the Hawks, they've made an art of this type of low life niggling

Stratton has always been one of my least favourite Hawks, if ranking them that way even makes any sense...how he's considered captain material is quite puzzling.

Pinching is a reportable offence according to rule 21.2.2 (t) so I don't know why umpires aren't all over it. Then again disputing an umpires decision is supposedly reportable too ( 21.2.2 (k) ) and that happens every call, so maybe they just don't take it very seriously.

Anyway, changes for Hawks, yes Stratton out, absolutely :)

AnnieH
17th June 2019, 10:30 AM
I'm available.
They're beatable if last weeks' team turns up.

Markwebbos
17th June 2019, 11:23 AM
I'm available.
They're beatable if last weeks' team turns up.

I watched them against the Bombers. If that team turns up then we are in with a shot against our Kryptonite side. They didn’t appear to have a forward line. Wonder if Roughy might reappear this week?

dejavoodoo44
17th June 2019, 11:52 AM
I watched them against the Bombers. If that team turns up then we are in with a shot against our Kryptonite side. They didn’t appear to have a forward line. Wonder if Roughy might reappear this week?

Apparently Roughead was mediocre for Box Hill on the weekend. Only 10 touches and no goals; so not really demanding a return.
And I was thinking much the same as you, watching them against the Bombers. That is, if their delivery into the forward line is the same against us, then Rampe, Aliir and Mills will have a fun night at the SCG. And if I remember rightly, they were also getting done in the clearances; so all up, I'm feeling confident.

caj23
17th June 2019, 12:35 PM
Apparently Roughead was mediocre for Box Hill on the weekend. Only 10 touches and no goals; so not really demanding a return.
And I was thinking much the same as you, watching them against the Bombers. That is, if their delivery into the forward line is the same against us, then Rampe, Aliir and Mills will have a fun night at the SCG. And if I remember rightly, they were also getting done in the clearances; so all up, I'm feeling confident.

Jack Gunston usually towels Mills up so I doubt he'll be having much fun on Friday night win lose or draw

Markwebbos
17th June 2019, 12:46 PM

Hawks dominated everywhere in the first quarter, 19 inside 50s and a million uncontested marks, but 0 marks inside 50 and only 2 goals to show for it. Essendon got things back on their terms, particularly in the second half. I would even go as far as to say Woosha outcoached Clarko!

dejavoodoo44
17th June 2019, 01:41 PM
Hawks dominated everywhere in the first quarter, 19 inside 50s and a million uncontested marks, but 0 marks inside 50 and only 2 goals to show for it. Essendon got things back on their terms, particularly in the second half. I would even go as far as to say Woosha outcoached Clarko!
Yes, I was finding their chip chip game pretty tiresome, but I did enjoy it, when it constantly broke down going forward. And I was also enjoying, the thought of Clarkson's mood growing darker and darker.

Markwebbos
17th June 2019, 01:47 PM
Yes, I was finding their chip chip game pretty tiresome, but I did enjoy it, when it constantly broke down going forward. And I was also enjoying, the thought of Clarkson's mood growing darker and darker.

Everyone time they showed the coaches box he looked more enraged.

Markwebbos
17th June 2019, 05:19 PM
JPK, Jones, Kizza and Hayward are all in the mix to take on he Hawks. Cunningham not.

Swans quartet in mix - sydneyswans.com.au (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-06-17/swans-quartet-in-mix)

17th June 2019, 07:46 PM
JPK, Jones, Kizza and Hayward are all in the mix to take on he Hawks. Cunningham not.

Swans quartet in mix - sydneyswans.com.au (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-06-17/swans-quartet-in-mix)Minimal changes I'd reckon, JPK & Jones are must inclusions regardless, Hayward needs to be a better option than who he would replace, KJ to the NEAFL.

We should win this, Hawks are just staggering along, Clarke to tag O'Meara and Hawks don't have much left. Hope I'm not regretting writing this at 11pm Friday!

Mel_C
17th June 2019, 08:29 PM
I'm never confident beating Hawthorn at the SCHEDULE. We seem to struggle against us there. Normally someone like Cyril, Burgoyne or Roughead kick a goal right at the end to beat us. Hopefully we can break the hoodoo.

Aprilbr
17th June 2019, 08:49 PM
Yes I'm going to the game and hoping that we can obtain some revenge for those past losses! I would think that only one to two changes will occur given they played so well last game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

bandwagon
17th June 2019, 09:08 PM
Jones hasn't played a full game for 5 weeks, so a game to get up to speed in the NEAFL would be sensible. Hayward wasn't in great touch so I'd be loathe to turf out any of the team that performed so well against WCE.
In: JPK Out: McVeigh

Ruck'n'Roll
18th June 2019, 12:45 AM
I'm not sure Heyward was actually out of form, he's been scoring less, certainly, but seemed to be more focussed on doing defensive stuff rather than being his elusive self.

Markwebbos
18th June 2019, 10:02 AM
Wonder if they’ll play Clarke on Scully. That would be a pretty serious test of his tank! And let Hewett handle the Jaeger bomb?

caj23
18th June 2019, 10:07 AM
Wonder if they’ll play Clarke on Scully. That would be a pretty serious test of his tank! And let Hewett handle the Jaeger bomb?

Why bother tagging Scully? He's averaging 20 possessions a game and isn't that damaging.

O'Meara and maybe Henderson are the two that need to be shutdown

longmile
18th June 2019, 03:35 PM
my bets are kennedy and jones in for mcveigh and thurlow/O'riordan

wouldn't mind seeing jones come back thru the ressies but highly doubt it'll happen

rb4x
18th June 2019, 04:50 PM
Hayward has only missed one game and he is the coaches pet.

18th June 2019, 04:55 PM
Why bother tagging Scully? He's averaging 20 possessions a game and isn't that damaging.

O'Meara and maybe Henderson are the two that need to be shutdownScully never has been damaging. O'Meara has been providing a lot of their drive in the middle but you're right, Henderson has been a surprise packet this year (for a Crows cast off!)

barry
18th June 2019, 05:14 PM
Scully never has been damaging.

Spot on.

18th June 2019, 07:29 PM
Stratton got two games, one for each offence so I doubt Hawks will pinch the game from us this week!

Blood Fever
18th June 2019, 07:41 PM
my bets are kennedy and jones in for mcveigh and thurlow/O'riordan

wouldn't mind seeing jones come back thru the ressies but highly doubt it'll happen

O'riordan to stay

18th June 2019, 07:48 PM
O'Riordan MUST stayFixed that for you :-) COR doesn't need more NEAFL, he has all the attributes to be a significant player for us going forward, must be backed in so he gets comfortable at the level.

chalbilto
18th June 2019, 07:57 PM
Fixed that for you :-) COR doesn't need more NEAFL, he has all the attributes to be a significant player for us going forward, must be backed in so he gets comfortable at the level.

I would like to see COR groomed as a permanent replacement for Nick Smith.

dejavoodoo44
18th June 2019, 08:23 PM
Stratton got two games, one for each offence so I doubt Hawks will pinch the game from us this week!
Yes, it seems that Stratton's game has been nipped in the bud. Which I much prefer, to him spending the game nipping Bud.

Ralph Dawg
18th June 2019, 11:30 PM
With the emergence of Dawson, Hewett and Oli as solid midfield contributors, Mills' best spot for us is as a medium defender, perhaps in the Mattner mould. He's certainly playing much better of late and perhaps this could be because he has more certainty to where he will be playing now that the midfield is performing well.
Speaking of playing well, Paps is reminding me of Paul Chapman. Crafty up forward then moving into the midfield, pinch hitting to devastating effect.
One change this week for me. JPK for Macca. The others can come back through NEAFL - the team deserves another go after their last cracking performance.

crackedactor
18th June 2019, 11:54 PM
With the emergence of Dawson, Hewett and Oli as solid midfield contributors, Mills' best spot for us is as a medium defender, perhaps in the Mattner mould. He's certainly playing much better of late and perhaps this could be because he has more certainty to where he will be playing now that the midfield is performing well.
Speaking of playing well, Paps is reminding me of Paul Chapman. Crafty up forward then moving into the midfield, pinch hitting to devastating effect.
One change this week for me. JPK for Macca. The others can come back through NEAFL - the team deserves another go after their last cracking performance.

Agree 100%. Great effort last game and a virtual unchanged side should be their reward. Even give Rose another run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

caj23
19th June 2019, 09:04 AM

No disrespect to Marty as he's a premiership hero and was a great soldier for us, but if that's Mills ceiling as a player then that would be extremely disappointing given the way he was talked up prior to his draft

barry
19th June 2019, 10:02 AM
No disrespect to Marty as he's a premiership hero and was a great soldier for us, but if that's Mills ceiling as a player then that would be extremely disappointing given the way he was talked up prior to his draft

Expectations on a player at 17 are unfair. I pity the high draft picks who go top 5 and fans are disappointed if they dont become the next Chris Judd. Just look at GWS and the number of top picks they have which have never eventuated to much (at GWS or who moved on to other clubs)

Forget for a moment what the expectations were at 17. If you could only judge Mills by his last 3 years of work, Marty Mattner would be a realistic goal.

Ralph Dawg
19th June 2019, 10:04 AM
I know we all dislike him but how about Luke Hodge then? I'm thinking someone who can play on most sorts of forwards, run and carry and spend a bit of time when required in the midfield.

caj23
19th June 2019, 10:40 AM
I know we all dislike him but how about Luke Hodge then? I'm thinking someone who can play on most sorts of forwards, run and carry and spend a bit of time when required in the midfield.

Now that would be nice, but your talking about a player with 2 Norm Smiths, 4 All Australian Selections, and 2 club B&Fs (not to mention 4 premierships, 3 as captain).

Mills is still only 22 and has time on his side, but at his current trajectory he isn't anywhere close to the standard of Luke Hodge (very few are)

dimelb
19th June 2019, 11:05 AM

Agree with this, and I don't think we are in a position to judge until he has a decent go in the middle, especially when that was the widely accepted reason for picking him.

Captain
19th June 2019, 11:37 AM
I really hope Rose gets another game.

He was a big part in making us more attacking, which in turn made us a better team.

rb4x
19th June 2019, 12:00 PM
Our attacking mindset was caused in part by having three defenders, McVeigh, Thurlow and COR off the ground. Agree Rose has earned another chance but with Kennedy, Jones and Hayward all to come in, who do you leave out. McVeigh, Thurlow and ?

Jeynez
19th June 2019, 12:42 PM
Scully never has been damaging. O'Meara has been providing a lot of their drive in the middle but you're right, Henderson has been a surprise packet this year (for a Crows cast off!)

Clarke has gone to the outside runners previously (Sidebottom, Higgins, Gaff etc.) so I would expect him to go to Henderson, who is more damaging with the ball than O'Meara. Hewett can go head-to-head with him.

Agree Rose has earned another chance but with Kennedy, Jones and Hayward all to come in, who do you leave out. McVeigh, Thurlow and ?

I would only bring Kennedy and Jones in. Hayward can play through the NEAFL and earn his spot back.

Ralph Dawg
19th June 2019, 01:36 PM
I really hope Rose gets another game.

He was a big part in making us more attacking, which in turn made us a better team.
I've got a big wrap on Rose. He has all the skills, can pretty much play anywhere. That goal he kicked against the Eagles just sums up what he is capable of. He dominates NEAFL even more than Mitchell did. He just needs a decent stint in seniors to get his confidence up, very much in the same way as Dawson.

19th June 2019, 02:18 PM
I've got a big wrap on Rose. He has all the skills, can pretty much play anywhere. That goal he kicked against the Eagles just sums up what he is capable of. He dominates NEAFL even more than Mitchell did. He just needs a decent stint in seniors to get his confidence up, very much in the same way as Dawson.

I'm prepared to run with this idea - let's find out what he can do

Ludwig
19th June 2019, 02:27 PM
It's taken a bit of time for Rose to work through some weaknesses in his game, but it seems like he's done it. He had a very good 2nd half to the season last year and has continued on this year. He does a lot of things well and has a nice bag of tricks, which can separate the ordinary players from the better ones.

If we count the addition of Barry O'Connor, we now sit at 48 players on our list. Since we can only have a max of 47, there will have to be a fair bit of culling, especially if we have any thoughts of adding a high quality player through trade or free agency. If we project the retirements of McVeigh, Jack and Smith, we still have 45 players.

The point of this being that we need to take a good look at Rose and decide if we want to extend his contract. He'll need a stint in the seniors to give it a fair chance. I'm leaning toward keeping him, but would like to see him get a run of games in the AFL.

royboy42
19th June 2019, 03:15 PM

I saw what you did there, 707.

Auntie.Gerald
19th June 2019, 04:47 PM
Rose actually made a few totally unforced errors vs the eagles ie especially that 40m kick across field 3rd qtr to space the eagles ran into and scored

But

I must say he had to jump from role to role in that game against a serious team

So I’ll cut him a little slack

I liked his contribution overall and gives us serious depth for multiple roles

You almost wonder (after some more tight run with roles if needed in the Snr team) whether he could adapt to a role like Sicily has done at the Hawks ?

Ie Loose med tall high marking defender that takes the game

ernie koala
19th June 2019, 11:07 PM
OUT : McVeigh, Thurlow

IN : Jones, Kennedy

Dropping Rose now would all but end his time at the Swans...He's got plenty to offer and deserves a good run at it.

Hayward's form has been below par so no reason to rush him back in.

The point of difference, from our established players, with COR and Rose, is they look to attack with ball in hand.

Sure they'll make some mistakes, but it makes us a far less predictable team....And much more fun to watch.

Snork
19th June 2019, 11:19 PM
I know some posters keep mentioning Rose's cross into the centre that was turned over but there were two major positives which we all harp on about, (a) the kid was taking a risk to open the game up on the other side of the ground and (b) he absolutely hurtled back on the turnover to spoil the Eagles pack which to me says the kid has a bit of character. Let's give him a run instead of Jack or McVeigh to see if he cuts the mustard as my fear is that we may be lost like Darcy Cameron will be lost to us without actually being given a fair crack at it. I still believe that Luke Vogels would have been a good player for us!! Membrey is the one for me that burns!

Markwebbos
20th June 2019, 12:33 AM
IN: Jack, Hannebery ... no hang on, that was 2018. I think Horse has learnt that lesson.

caj23
20th June 2019, 09:32 AM
IN: Jack, Hannebery ... no hang on, that was 2018. I think Horse has learnt that lesson.

We'll see

Captain
20th June 2019, 01:01 PM
Rose actually made a few totally unforced errors vs the eagles ie especially that 40m kick across field 3rd qtr to space the eagles ran into and scored

He was trying to take the game on with that kick, yes it didn't come off, but I like the fact he tried. So much better than the boring long down the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Spot on.

Given JPK and Jones are the only likely ones back (Haywood to play reserves), I would suggest the changes be:

In: JPK, Jones
Out: McVeigh, Thurlow

rb4x
20th June 2019, 03:16 PM
I think Hayward will come in before Jones. We will see tonight but if fit I expect both Hayward and Jones to be named.

Odysseus
20th June 2019, 05:47 PM
I know some posters keep mentioning Rose's cross into the centre that was turned over but there were two major positives which we all harp on about, (a) the kid was taking a risk to open the game up on the other side of the ground and (b) he absolutely hurtled back on the turnover to spoil the Eagles pack which to me says the kid has a bit of character. Let's give him a run instead of Jack or McVeigh to see if he cuts the mustard ...

Snork is one of a number who have argued for Rose being given another go. I'm also in that camp. He seems to have character attributes as well as skills that could make him a useful player at the top level. And as others have argued, even if he were given a chance and it was then seen that he couldn't deliver at that level, the process would let the club and the player know where he's at and so be consistent with fairness when decisions have to be made at the year's end. So I hope he runs around with the firsts again tomorrow night, and that he does well.

stevoswan
20th June 2019, 06:11 PM
I agree with all those saying Rose should stay for now.....he deserves a more extended run for his contracts sake!

ugg
20th June 2019, 07:22 PM
Hayward Jones Kennedy for McCartin McVeigh Thurlow

No clear replacement for Thurlow in defence. Jones, Dawson, Florent, or Clarke the possibilities.

Mark26
20th June 2019, 07:25 PM

Gee you're quick Ugg. Maybe we can add you into our midfield mix? Good changes imo.

Hotpotato
20th June 2019, 07:26 PM
Thanks Ugg, you are always right on the GO button for us !
Don’t you ever have to cook dinner !

stevoswan
20th June 2019, 07:33 PM

The 'in's' make sense , even if I wouldn't have minded Hayward returning via the two's and I don't mind those 'outs'.....Tom has been quietish of late and to fit three in, Thurlow had to go. Had the match not been after a bye, COR would have been rested after the head knock. Thurlow out now makes sense.

20th June 2019, 07:38 PM
Sensible ins and outs, makes us a stronger side.

Nico
20th June 2019, 07:51 PM
Thurlow is stiff. He was going alright until he was poleaxed.

Blood Fever
20th June 2019, 08:06 PM
Thurlow is stiff. He was going alright until he was poleaxed.

Happy with chages, especially retaining COR and Rose

dejavoodoo44
20th June 2019, 08:32 PM
I'm a little bit surprised by McCartin going out, but maybe it's a weather thing. With the ground likely to be slippery, a medium sized forward, should be more effective than a tall.

Ralph Dawg
20th June 2019, 09:14 PM
Jones and Will are in our best 22 so if they are fit and firing, then get them in. JPK is a given. So all up, happy with the changes, although it would've been a bee's dick between COR and Thurlow and McCartain and Menzel.

Bloody Hell
20th June 2019, 11:05 PM
I thought they changed from three emergencies to four so everyone could name a spare ruckman? Who will ruck from these guys:

EMERGENCIES
30 Tom McCartin
6 Jackson Thurlow
8 James Rowbottom
25 Ben Ronke

S.S. Bleeder
21st June 2019, 08:39 AM

No clear replacement for Thurlow in defence. Jones, Dawson, Florent, or Clarke the possibilities.

Surely Clarke has to tag O'Meara doesn't he?

He's looking like being a great pick up for us. Many supporters wanted his and Thurlows heads up until a few weeks ago and whilst Thurlow is struggling, Clarkes results as a shutdown tagger have been excellent. I just hope he can improve his disposal so that he can become a good in and under midfielder as well rather than a one trick pony.

I see Jones as being the Thurlow replacement. He might be lacking match fitness and touch to go straight into the midfield.

21st June 2019, 09:11 AM
O'Meara doesn't cope with a tagger but Henderson surprisingly has been their best mid of late.

Always pays to watch a replay of our games so you don't have to worry about the result but can concentrate on what individuals actually did, and rewind to double check. I thought clarke was a bust but give him credit, he has done some very good tagging jobs of late, best 22 currently as you need a tagger. Rose was quite good last game under very tough fatigue conditions, pleased he stayed in.

Ruck'n'Roll
21st June 2019, 09:38 AM
I wonder if Clarko's inclusion of Roughy, despite his poor form in the VFL, is about souping up their players to "do it one more time for roughie".

Ralph Dawg
21st June 2019, 10:22 AM
I wonder if Clarko's inclusion of Roughy, despite his poor form in the VFL, is about souping up their players to "do it one more time for roughie".
There's certainly that angle as well as the fact he seems to play well against us!

Markwebbos
21st June 2019, 11:51 AM
There's certainly that angle as well as the fact he seems to play well against us!

Also Hawks had a mountain of inside 50s against Essendon and no marks inside 50 for the first 3 quarters. They lacked a tall target to kick to.

Aaron
21st June 2019, 12:14 PM
It is always a dangerous game after the Bye. Historically, we only won 4 times after the Bye round. In 2017 and 2011, we had lost before but won after. In 2012, we had a win / win before winning the flag. In 2014, we did the saame before winning the minor premier. So we need all players selected to perform well.

aardvark
21st June 2019, 01:28 PM
In 2014, we did the same before winning the minor premier.

Did we play in 2014? I seem to have erased all memory of that year.

Sandrevan
21st June 2019, 02:01 PM

Roughy was named in Defence - which makes me think you're probably right.

- - - Updated - - -

Roughy's farewell game?

Markwebbos
21st June 2019, 02:23 PM
Roughy was named in Defence - which makes me think you're probably right.

Last week they played Sicily forward, which failed. I reckon they'll try both of them forward and see if either works out.