PDA

View Full Version : Brett Kirk's match report

bricon
21st April 2004, 06:49 PM
Brett Kirk has taken over from Jared Crouch as the weekly columnist for Optusnet subscribers. Here's his report for the North Melbourne match.

Round 4

"Let!"
"Let!"
"Let!"
"Let!"
For the fifth time, "Let!"
I was sure in a game you could yell out "let" and that meant that the last play was voided because you couldn't reach the ball or get to the bounce or something like that. It's used in games like squash, wall tennis and handball on the front drive. But unfortunately not in AFL and if we were allowed to, all Swans team members, coaching staff and supporters would have been crying out for the almighty "Let!" on Sunday. The Kangaroos came flying out of the blocks and with the clock ticking over just five minutes the blue and white were up by five goals and the red and white were looking at each other scratching our heads and hoping if we called for a timeout we could start the game again on the basis that we weren't ready.

Quarter time could not have come fast enough. Where to from here? Well you didn't have to be a brain surgeon to work out that we had to be more accountable, work hard not for your self but for each other and start getting the ball forward so we could at least have a crack at kicking a few goals.

Slowly we started to put the wheels in motion and began to win the contested footy, gain multiple centre bounce clearances and from this came plenty of opportunities for our forwards. We hunted in packs, had numbers around the ball and were composed picking the right option on most occasions. Big Baz was on fire as was our new found forward Jason Saddington. 'Saddo' has played the majority of his 100+ games down in the backline however the move up front has definitely created a spark for his footy possibilities this year. We went in to the half time break three goals up, accumulating a massive 200 possessions. The break was welcomed, a time to regroup and rehydrate. It was far from over with the common message being to maintain pressure.

Hold up... Is this the same game... It's three quarter time and the Swannies are ten goals up and the Kangaroos have been kept goalless since the first 20 minutes thanks to an extremely disciplined backline. The final siren blew in our favour, a comfortable nine goal win and the myth of the Manuka Oval dismissed. Our midfield were like energizer batteries, they just kept going and going and going. Hall, Goodes and Saddington finishing with 20 marks and 10 goals between them! A good days work.

While our defense still has its vocal doubters, no one can cloud the amazing growth, over such a short period, of young Paul Bevan. A local Sydney boy, hailing from out west, Paul was elevated from the Rookie list during the pre season and continues to improve and mature with every round. This week he has been nominated for the Nowrich Rising Star Award. Paul puts his body on the line, no questions asked. A well deserved honour for a young kid working hard and living his dream.

Reality check...
Good win boys, yes, but that's over and done with now and it's full steam ahead to the Anzac clash against the mighty Melbourne Demons. This game has enormous significance in my family as my Grandfather served in the 39th Battalion in Kokoda during the Second World War. I have been fortunate enough to walk and experience the demands of the Kokoda track. I have so much respect and gratitude for every person that has served in any war that has enabled us to live freely and have a voice in such a beautiful country. Maybe if you visit at Homebush on Saturday night or watch the game from the comfort of your own home, take time to reflect as the bugle sounds and give thoughts and praises to the men and women who have fought so you can enjoy footy! Lest we forget.
Tickets are still available so call Ticketek on (02) 9266 4800 and reserve your seat now.

"Winning breeds confidence, and confidence breeds winning"
- Pro golfer Hubert Green

Cheers Kirky #31

dawson
21st April 2004, 07:03 PM
This week he has been nominated for the Nowrich Rising Star Award.

Old habits die hard!

stellation
21st April 2004, 07:09 PM
National Rising Star Award not Nowrich (sic) Rising Star Award Kirky. With all the troubles at the NAB at least you could name drop properly!

d'oh!

beat me to it dawson :)

dawson
21st April 2004, 07:11 PM
These things take a while..........

It was only recently that people stopped called Brisbane the Bears.

stellation
21st April 2004, 07:12 PM
I am actually still guilty of both (Norwich and Bears) at times so Kirky's note made me smile.

monopoly19
21st April 2004, 07:13 PM
When did it stop being the Norwich Rising Star Award?

Thanks for the article bricon :)

stellation
21st April 2004, 07:15 PM
maybe just last year?

with the wonders of the Internet it is easy enough to find out, but I prefer the thrill of trying to remember from time to time.

pretty sure it was last year that national took over. i was wearing an onion on my belt.

dawson
21st April 2004, 07:15 PM
Talking about syntax clangers.............

What about the guy in todays SMH who when writing about Bevo against the Roos said he had x kicks and y handpasses

floppinab
21st April 2004, 09:03 PM
Was going to post this prior to seeing this here.
Must admit Kirky is adding an interesting dimension to these reports this year, a little more 'out there' than Crouchy.

Maybe we can all try that one this week if Neiter is pulling down a few too many.

Let... Let......LET

Reggi
21st April 2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by dawson
These things take a while..........

It was only recently that people stopped called Brisbane the Bears.

I think the Bears should make a comeback......as should that thing were their supporters put their knuckles against the side of their head and rock their heads back and forth after kicking a goal.

The Bears was a classy name

Bleed Red Blood
21st April 2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by bricon
Brett Kirk has taken over from Jared Crouch as the weekly columnist for Optusnet subscribers. Here's his report for the North Melbourne match.

Optusnet subscirber here, where do you get these from?

undy
21st April 2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Reggi
I think the Bears should make a comeback......as should that thing were their supporters put their knuckles against the side of their head and rock their heads back and forth after kicking a goal.

The Bears was a classy name

I love The Brians - makes me think of magic roundabout.

Talking of name changes - does anyone else struggle with the bloody grounds changing names all the time ? I haven't been to the wrong ground yet, but its only a matter of time. (Actually that's not true, I went to Waverly once by mistake...)

bricon
22nd April 2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
Optusnet subscirber here, where do you get these from?

It's a weekly newsletter distributed by email; you can sign-up for it here (http://www.optusnet.com.au/newsletter/20040406). I'll try to remember to post Kirk's article here each week.