PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat #AFL Round 18 Weekly Discussion Thread

Hotpotato
20th July 2019, 06:01 PM
At the Giants V Pies game.
When the Giants slick play-on game works, they are terrific .
Fab evening for footy here.

stevoswan
20th July 2019, 06:30 PM
Beat be by a few minutes HP. Well done!:five:

Interesting round so far. Bombers show the footy world just how bad Adelaide can be, Richmond do the same with the Power and Carlton, as expected, defeat the Suns.

Now the Giants are doing a job on Collingwood, 36 pts up at the moment. Now the obvious question: Can they do it for four quarters?

Blood Fever
20th July 2019, 06:34 PM
Beat be by a few minutes HP. Well done!:five:

Interesting round so far. Bombers show the footy world just how bad Adelaide can be, Richmond do the same with the Power and Carlton, as expected, defeat the Suns.

Now the Giants are doing a job on Collingwood, 36 pts up at the moment. Now the obvious question: Can they do it for four quarters?

Essendon looked outstanding in the second half. Probably the quickest team in the comp
A real threat on that form.

Mel_C
20th July 2019, 06:38 PM
The Giants were killing Collingwood in the first quarter. It's turned around in the second quarter but Collingwood can't score.

20th July 2019, 07:26 PM
Wow Pies are very ordinary as were Crows. Playing havoc with my footy tipping.

stevoswan
20th July 2019, 07:35 PM
Wow Pies are very ordinary as were Crows. Playing havoc with my footy tipping.

Yeah, I tipped the Crows....but I did tip GWS.:wink: We'll see....I think they should be safe, 40 up late in the third.

I'm listening to the ABC radio feed now.....Howe has just taken a screamer....a real 'hanger'. Have to look out for that one!

Ralph Dawg
20th July 2019, 07:36 PM
This time last year lions were I think 3/4 last and we were top 4. Completely reversed this and some are now talking up Lions as premiership contenders. Shows you that with a few key additions, we could be back in the mix as soon as next year. Form is such a fickle thing in the AFL these days!

Markwebbos
20th July 2019, 07:44 PM
Tipped the first 3 games, but went for the Pies. They do seem to be mounting some sort of comeback

stevoswan
20th July 2019, 07:45 PM
This time last year lions were I think 3/4 last and we were top 4. Completely reversed this and some are now talking up Lions as premiership contenders. Shows you that with a few key additions, we could be back in the mix as soon as next year. Form is such a fickle thing in the AFL these days!

Exactly right, although you could see something building at the Lions, even though they weren't getting many wins. It has all come together for them this season and this article (originally on the AFL site but now I can only find it on the Lions site) explains how that unfolded in the off season....a lot went right for them but they knew what they wanted and cleverly ticked all the boxes. I hope we can do the same after this season is over.....

Science and luck: How the Lions' list has come together - lions.com.au (https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-07-17/rise-shaped-by-decisive-recruiting-)

Meg
20th July 2019, 08:03 PM
Genuine question - why does Grundy wear one sock pulled up, the other down?

Hotpotato
20th July 2019, 08:07 PM
Pies are cooked .
Attendance : 15,647
I thought Collingwood fans travelled anywhere?
Pleasant experience here.
Met a physical trainer with a team here from Darwin (where I grew up) called Renae.
Her team is THE CROCS ... there’s just been a carnival in Sydney.
She mentioned an 18yr old kid up there (not in her team) called Cobden I think .. she said he’s outstanding .
Bought her a coffee and a donut for the info .

Hotpotato
20th July 2019, 08:15 PM
Genuine question - why does Grundy wear one sock pulled up, the other down?

It’s a sign to his GF he won’t be home for dinner, he’s heading to the Lord Nelson to forget another drubbing .

Markwebbos
20th July 2019, 08:18 PM
Exactly right, although you could see something building at the Lions, even though they weren't getting many wins. It has all come together for them this season and this article (originally on the AFL site but now I can only find it on the Lions site) explains how that unfolded in the off season....a lot went right for them but they knew what they wanted and cleverly ticked all the boxes. I hope we can do the same after this season is over.....

Science and luck: How the Lions' list has come together - lions.com.au (https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-07-17/rise-shaped-by-decisive-recruiting-)

Brisbane finished bottom 4 five years in a row, and received a priority pick in 2016. Even if a lot of those high draft picks ran away during the Leppitsch era, they still got access to the top end of the draft for 5 years in a row.

I agree they've been really bold in the moves they've made - as per Callum Twomey's article. You'd hope that the Swans will do something similar if there's a player they want this year?

Brisbane also did extremely well at the trade table last year - giving up a first round draft pick for Lachie Neale and receiving two first rounders for Beams.

Mel_C
20th July 2019, 08:37 PM
Meg I think it's because the ruckmen wear a guard to protect their leg for when they jump in the ruck. So the sock covers the guard.

Meg
20th July 2019, 08:42 PM
It’s a sign to his GF he won’t be home for dinner, he’s heading to the Lord Nelson to forget another drubbing .

[emoji38]

Meg I think it's because the ruckmen wear a guard to protect their leg for when they jump in the ruck. So the sock covers the guard.

Ah ha, that makes sense. Most ruckmen wear both socks up so I suppose there is a guard under one, just more discreet.

Markwebbos
20th July 2019, 09:06 PM
Norf up 30-10 at start of Q2! Go Rhyce Shaw

Markwebbos
20th July 2019, 09:39 PM
50-31 now

Mel_C
20th July 2019, 10:34 PM
Brisbane by 10 in the last quarter.

Markwebbos
20th July 2019, 11:01 PM
scores level

Mel_C
21st July 2019, 12:26 AM
North lose another close one. I feel for Shaw but I'm happy for Brisbane. They are second now.

Blood Fever
21st July 2019, 12:22 PM
North lose another close one. I feel for Shaw but I'm happy for Brisbane. They are second now.

Ordinary decision put Lions in front.

Melbourne_Blood
21st July 2019, 12:39 PM

True but there was an equally ordinary decision prior ( in the ruck against the big O ) that led to Browns goal that drew the Roos level or thereabouts . Can’t say it cost them the game . If They both got adjudicated correctly the lions still win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blood Fever
21st July 2019, 12:49 PM
True but there was an equally ordinary decision prior ( in the ruck against the big O ) that led to Browns goal that drew the Roos level or thereabouts . Can’t say it cost them the game . If They both got adjudicated correctly the lions still win.

Wasn't aware of that. Fair enough.

Mel_C
21st July 2019, 04:18 PM
I'm at the Geelong game and they are not playing like a top team. Plenty of turnovers and they have missed their last 4 shots at goal.

Markwebbos
21st July 2019, 05:11 PM

AFL admits blunder after awarding match-winning free kick

AFL admits blunder after awarding match-winning free kick - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-21/afl-admits-blunder-after-awarding-matchwinning-free-kick)

stevoswan
21st July 2019, 05:13 PM

It was there....as was the last free they got.:smile: Besides, an even more ordinary decision before the Lions one put North in front. The result was fair.

stevoswan
21st July 2019, 05:18 PM
I'm at the Geelong game and they are not playing like a top team. Plenty of turnovers and they have missed their last 4 shots at goal.

Despite the Cats being on top all season, I actually don't think that at any time they've looked like a likely premiership team. Their form over the last few weeks is no surprise to me.....

Hotpotato
21st July 2019, 07:23 PM
In round 11 , a rebuilding team in 14h nearly beat them at The Cattery .

Sandridge
21st July 2019, 08:00 PM
I'm not a huge lover of St.Kilda at all but am enjoying watching them put a big dent in the Bulldog's finals hopes!

Markwebbos
21st July 2019, 08:39 PM
I'm not a huge lover of St.Kilda at all but am enjoying watching them put a big dent in the Bulldog's finals hopes!

And go above us on the ladder

MattW
21st July 2019, 09:07 PM

It is interesting how all three teams who have ditched their coach have immediately performed better. In all cases it did seem before the sackings as though they'd stopped playing for their respective coaches and that appears to have the case.

stevoswan
21st July 2019, 11:23 PM
In round 11 , a rebuilding team in 14th nearly beat them at The Cattery .

Yes exactly.....I was there that night and went home thinking that the Cats performance didn't reflect their ladder position at all.....and I was quite satisfied with our performance and trajectory. That's what makes the last three weeks so disappointing.

Meg
22nd July 2019, 02:33 AM
I loved watching the Melbourne v West Coast match in Alice Springs. With the beautiful red background of the MacDonnell Ranges and the enthusiastic crowd hanging over the fence, predominantly it seemed indigenous supporters of the two clubs, it was like a high quality country match.

Both teams wore their indigenous jumpers and the indigenous players from both teams came together at the end. I particularly liked the embrace and swap of jumpers by Neville and Lewis Jetta.

I was a bit puzzled when these AS & Darwin matches first started but I now think they are great.

MattW
22nd July 2019, 08:34 AM
I loved watching the Melbourne v West Coast match in Alice Springs. With the beautiful red background of the MacDonnell Ranges and the enthusiastic crowd hanging over the fence, predominantly it seemed indigenous supporters of the two clubs, it was like a high quality country match.

Both teams wore their indigenous jumpers and the indigenous players from both teams came together at the end. I particularly liked the embrace and swap of jumpers by Neville and Lewis Jetta.

I was a bit puzzled when these AS & Darwin matches first started but I now think they are great.

+1, good post.

barry
22nd July 2019, 11:05 AM
It is interesting how all three teams who have ditched their coach have immediately performed better. In all cases it did seem before the sackings as though they'd stopped playing for their respective coaches and that appears to have the case.

I think it's because a coach under pressure employs a more defensive game plan, because an offensive, daring style can lead to a 100 point loss which equals instant dismissal.

Hotpotato
22nd July 2019, 03:50 PM

Thanks for this, Like Paul Kelly (singer) I was born in The Alice ... listen to “A bastard from the bush.”
They would love these games. A huge event.

KTigers
22nd July 2019, 04:57 PM

My theory is the players pull their finger out for the first few weeks under the new coach, because if they kept losing,
it would be very easy to deduce that it was them (the players) that were the problem, not the old coach. After a few
weeks honeymoon with the new coach, they usually run out of puff and revert to their old losing ways.

Meg
22nd July 2019, 05:32 PM
Thanks for this, Like Paul Kelly (singer) I was born in The Alice ... listen to “A bastard from the bush.”
They would love these games. A huge event.

Thank you for the Paul Kelly reference - I love his singing and didn’t know he was from Alice Springs. I listened to his song ‘A bastard like me’ which I think is what you meant: great, nice video here:

Paul Kelly - A Bastard Like Me (Official Video) - YouTube (https://youtu.be/actrvYz7jSM)

(First I listened to a reading of Henry Lawson poem ‘A bastard from the bush’ - wow, the language nearly made me blush! Still a great poem though.)

Hotpotato
22nd July 2019, 06:18 PM
Thank you for the Paul Kelly reference - I love his singing and didn’t know he was from Alice Springs. I listened to his song ‘A bastard like me’ which I think is what you meant: great, nice video here:

Paul Kelly - A Bastard Like Me (Official Video) - YouTube (https://youtu.be/actrvYz7jSM)

(First I listened to a reading of Henry Lawson poem ‘A bastard from the bush’ - wow, the language nearly made me blush! Still a great poem though.)

Loved the video , yes, that’s the one!
I play music (all sorts, but lots of Ozzie) on my bicycle Tours (this is not an ad, primarily international tourists).

Meg
22nd July 2019, 06:45 PM
Loved the video , yes, that’s the one!
I play music (all sorts, but lots of Ozzie) on my bicycle Tours (this is not an ad, primarily international tourists).

OT but - a few years ago I went to a wonderful concert here in Sydney by the late, great Leonard Cohen - and the warm-up act was Paul Kelly. What a treat, perhaps the best concert I’ve ever been to.

Melbourne_Blood
22nd July 2019, 09:06 PM
More Head scratchers from the MRO. Harris Andrews gets a week for that incident ? There have been far worse this year that only attracted fines . Should challenge and should get off .

Blood Fever
22nd July 2019, 09:21 PM
More Head scratchers from the MRO. Harris Andrews gets a week for that incident ? There have been far worse this year that only attracted fines . Should challenge and should get off .

Shambles. Barass concusses Viney after bumping him in head. Nothing to see here.

MattW
22nd July 2019, 09:34 PM
My theory is the players pull their finger out for the first few weeks under the new coach, because if they kept losing,
it would be very easy to deduce that it was them (the players) that were the problem, not the old coach. After a few
weeks honeymoon with the new coach, they usually run out of puff and revert to their old losing ways.

May be the case with St Kilda, but the improvement has sustained over a period longer than a honeymoon with North.

Meg
22nd July 2019, 10:17 PM
Shambles. Barass concusses Viney after bumping him in head. Nothing to see here.

Agree, don’t understand that at all.

Melbourne_Blood
23rd July 2019, 07:51 PM
Harris 1 week suspension upheld ! They hardly rub anyone out for a strike all year and then this incident , of all of them , gets a week . I’m gobsmacked

Hotpotato
24th July 2019, 11:08 PM
It’s always illuminating to get know a player better by sitting him down in front of an inquisitive and probing panel.
Toby Green on The Back Page Live came across as quite a down to earth and likeable lad really.

bloodspirit
25th July 2019, 02:32 PM
This week Rhylee West, son of club great Scott West, is going to debut for the Dogs. The club has posted a video of the coach announcing the selection to the playing group: Bevo surprises Rhylee West - westernbulldogs.com.au (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-07-24/bevo-surprises-rhylee-west). Why is that the Swans don't do likewise? Last week Hayden McLean debuted for us. He had a bit of a back story and our coach got him up in front of our players too. Would love to get some of that behind the scenes stuff that helps you to feel closer to the players and the team, which as a fan I imagine we all want. Clearly the video footage exists - they excerpted a snippet of it a little package the media team made up to celebrate the debut. Why not let us see it? It's great that they made the other package and gave us an interview with Hayden but would still love to see how the coach communicates to the players behind closed doors (albeit the doors are less "closed" once you start publishing the video).

Go Swannies
25th July 2019, 03:25 PM
It’s always illuminating to get know a player better by sitting him down in front of an inquisitive and probing panel.
Toby Green on The Back Page Live came across as quite a down to earth and likeable lad really.

So true - Phil Davis is always all over Buddy when they play so my dislike was strong. That was ruined when he hosted On the Couch and turned out to be intelligent, thoughtful and nice. How do I match the two Phil Davises? Next I'll find out that Razor Ray is a stand up comic who cares for orphaned puppies.

25th July 2019, 03:36 PM
Toby Green on The Back Page Live came across as quite a down to earth and likeable lad really.Still has the most punchable face in the AFL!

Roscoe
25th July 2019, 04:17 PM
So true - Phil Davis is always all over Buddy when they play so my dislike was strong. That was ruined when he hosted On the Couch and turned out to be intelligent, thoughtful and nice. How do I match the two Phil Davises? Next I'll find out that Razor Ray is a stand up comic who cares for orphaned puppies.

Don't mind Razor as an umpire. We get screwed by the maggots, see the stats over the past 20 years.
Razor is from ACT and gives us a fair go compared to that filthy cheat Stevic who wears a hawthorn jumper
under his maggot shirt

stevoswan
25th July 2019, 05:38 PM
Still has the most punchable face in the AFL!

+1 :five:

Mel_C
25th July 2019, 07:57 PM
Still has the most punchable face in the AFL!
Hmm I think Sicily is close to taking that honour!

Hotpotato
25th July 2019, 10:14 PM
When they gave Toby Greene a quick test of the times tables (his legendary other skill set) he was like a kid in a lolly shop with lightning answers hoping to win another licorice bullet .

Meg
31st July 2019, 10:14 PM
Wrong thread.