PDA

View Full Version : Match Thread #AFL Round 23 Swans v Saints Sat 24-Aug at SCG #AFLSwansSaints @sydneyswans

ugg
24th August 2019, 10:45 AM
Sydney Swans (7W14L 15th) v St Kilda Saints (9W12L 14th)
Saturday 24th August 2019 1:45pm AEST
Sydney Cricket Ground

Not that we any extra motivation with the farewells today, but a win against the Saints would prevent them from possibly jumping to 12th. Since we hold their second round pick this year this has direct consequences for our draft position.

Sydney
|||
B:|30. Tom McCartin|24. Dane Rampe|43. Lewis Melican|
HB:|44. Jake Lloyd|14. Callum Mills|3. Jarrad McVeigh
C:|13. Oliver Florent|26. Luke Parker|29. George Hewett
HF:|34. Jordan Dawson|23. Lance Franklin|22. Nick Blakey
F:|11. Tom Papley|36. Aliir Aliir|5. Isaac Heeney
Foll:|20. Sam Reid|12. Josh P. Kennedy|15. Kieren Jack
Int:|8. James Rowbottom|42. Robbie Fox|2. Daniel Menzel
|25. Ben Ronke
Emg:|4. Ryan Clarke|1. James Rose|32. James Bell
|41. Hayden McLean

In: Franklin, McVeigh
Out: James Bell, Ryan Clarke

St Kilda
|||
B:|5. Shane Savage|2. Jake Carlisle|22. Nathan Brown
HB:|16. Jack Newnes|17. Sam Rowe|11. Hunter Clark
C:|16. Jack Billings|6. Seb Ross|40. Nick Hind
HF:|26. Josh Battle|27. Josh Bruce|8. Blake Acres
F:|13. Jack Lonie|28. Tim Membrey|21. Ben Long
Foll:|19. Rowan Marshall|3. Jack Steven|9. Jack Steele
Int:|7. Luke Dunstan|10. Dan Hannebery|35. Jack Sinclair
|44. Callum Wilkie
Emg:|30. Ed Phillips|33. Ben Paton|37.Bailey Rice
|46. Doulton Langlands

In: Rowe
Out: Ben Paton

Umpires: Jeff Dalgleish (7), Robert Findlay (23), Andre Giafagna (27) Em: Eleni Glouftsis (34)

Selected stats from the Footy Live app:

The Swans have allowed their opposition to average nine marks inside 50 across the season - ranked No. 1 defensively.
Sydney has recorded a shot at goal accuracy of 55% from a set shot this season - ranked third
Sydney has lost five matches decided within 10 points or less this season - the most of any side
Tom Papley has recorded a total of 59 uncontested marks in the forward half this season - ranked seventh in the AFL

Across the past month, the Saints have won the clearance count by six per game - ranked third.
St Kilda has conceded a goal from 26% of its opposition’s inside 50 this season - ranked 17th
The Saints have recorded a shot at goal accuracy of 43% across the season - ranked 18th
Jack Steele has recorded a total of 157 tackles across the season - ranked No. 1 in the AFL

Head-to-head
J.​Longmire 1 B.Ratten 2 (0-1 at SCG)

giant
24th August 2019, 12:19 PM
Nice stuff Ugg - fascinated by this stat and wonder if Lions and Tigers have been the previous owners of this mantle:

Sydney has lost five matches decided within 10 points or less this season - the most of any side

Mountain Man
24th August 2019, 01:56 PM
What is the wind like down there? There doesn't seem much in the Ressies Tramway game, but plenty up here in the Blue Mountains

liz
24th August 2019, 02:03 PM
What is the wind like down there? There doesn't seem much in the Ressies Tramway game, but plenty up here in the Blue Mountains

About as still as it gets. Occasionally just a whisper of a breeze but about as close to perfect conditions as you can get for a game of footy.

ugg
24th August 2019, 02:14 PM
No late changes. Starting bench Menzel Rowbottom Ronke Dawson which would Suggest Dawson in the backs Today.

neilfws
24th August 2019, 02:14 PM
Beautiful day. Very close-knit warm-up, everyone out together. Hug for McVeigh from Hanners. Going to be a special day.

ugg
24th August 2019, 02:38 PM
McVeigh warming up with the mids

Jack and Dawson with the backs

dejavoodoo44
24th August 2019, 02:39 PM
Feeling pretty confident for this one. Last week's win was a confidence booster and we probably have more to play for than the Saints.

Meg
24th August 2019, 02:44 PM
Macca wearing black armband for his baby Luella who died 8 years ago today.

longmile
24th August 2019, 02:51 PM
Wish we could duplicate Aliir. So lively in the ruck.

longmile
24th August 2019, 03:03 PM
Amazing kicking this quarter, which is something you never say about the swans. Dropped marks are frustrating tho

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 03:13 PM
JPK prominent today.....up to 11 disposals already. Swans looking sharp (even though I'm not watching the game!:tongue:). Keep it up....this could be a really enjoyable day.

Mel_C
24th August 2019, 03:21 PM
McCartin injured with a cork thigh 😞. Blakey didn't look good at the end of the quarter.

longmile
24th August 2019, 03:33 PM
Amazing kicking this quarter, which is something you never say about the swans. Dropped marks are frustrating tho

Kicking back to normal now lol

I like Fox in defence

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 03:36 PM
Getting shellacked in the clearances this quarter.....lift at the coalface needed.

Mel_C
24th August 2019, 03:38 PM
Can Reid please stop handballing 20 metres in the air!

Foreign Legion
24th August 2019, 03:45 PM
God this is horrible. Lucky we are playing a bottom side.

Florent read too much media about himself I think.

AND scores are level.

Crowd - absolutely ZERO impact on the game.

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 03:46 PM
JPK prominent today.....up to 11 disposals already. Swans looking sharp (even though I'm not watching the game!:tongue:). Keep it up....this could be a really enjoyable day.

....or not.:hmmmm2:

Foreign Legion
24th August 2019, 03:52 PM
Heeney no impact. Blakey been in a few hard impacts which hasn't helped.

Fox OK I reckon he doesn't make many mistakes. 3-4 ruckmen in the reserves but none here.

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 03:52 PM
Did we think it was just a matter of showing up for the rest of the game...post quarter time? Lift you lazy lot....

crackedactor
24th August 2019, 03:54 PM
Heeney no impact. Blakey been in a few hard impacts which hasn't helped.

Fox OK I reckon he doesn't make many mistakes. 3-4 ruckmen in the reserves but none here.

That was embarrassing. It looks like they have 4 to 5 extra players. Where is our running and contests? Papley looks a bit disinterested, maybe he is going to a Victorian side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mel_C
24th August 2019, 03:54 PM
What a crap quarter. McVeigh's miss demonstrated how bad we are going. They need a rocket up them at halftime!

Mel_C
24th August 2019, 03:55 PM
Crowd - absolutely ZERO impact on the game.

Well there was nothing to get excited about that quarter so I don't blame them!

Nico
24th August 2019, 03:56 PM
Our inability to read the footy off the pack is so poor. Particularly up forward where our forward pressure is non existent and our kicking into the forward line that quarter wasn't even little league standard.

Foreign Legion
24th August 2019, 03:57 PM
Well there was nothing to get excited about that quarter so I don't blame them!

Yes it was a poor quarter. BUT, sometimes the crowd can lift a side too. I have been disappointed by the crowds at the SCG this year - they used to be very vocal. Not many there either.

dejavoodoo44
24th August 2019, 04:03 PM
Looks like a classy first quarter lulled ourselves into a false sense of security. Consequently, the running and work rate seemed to drop off, and we played some very stagnant football. Hopefully, we'll wake up in the second half. On the positive side, I've quite liked the games of a couple of our lesser lights, in Ronke and Fox. Aliir's was good in the first, especially in the middle.

Nico
24th August 2019, 04:09 PM
Looks like a classy first quarter lulled ourselves into a false sense of security. Consequently, the running and work rate seemed to drop off, and we played some very stagnant football. Hopefully, we'll wake up in the second half. On the positive side, I've quite liked the games of a couple of our lesser lights, in Ronke and Fox. Aliir's was good in the first, especially in the middle.

We slaughtered the footy going forward. We insist on short kicks around midfield instead of moving it quickly forward. It has happened all year and the opposition simply get players back. The opposition play book is the same against us every week because we allow it to happen.

Nico
24th August 2019, 04:17 PM
Why didn't Heeney just kick for goal.

troyjones2525
24th August 2019, 04:19 PM
This is terrible football all round...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Foreign Legion
24th August 2019, 04:21 PM
Why didn't Heeney just kick for goal.

Something wrong with Heeney for sure - he must be injured. Going at about 70%

- - - Updated - - -

Good goal Kennedy.

Dawson imposing himself on the game.

longmile
24th August 2019, 04:21 PM
Melican getting dominated by Bruce

longmile
24th August 2019, 04:28 PM
Parker and Kennedy looking strong. Heeney's forgotten how to kick

Foreign Legion
24th August 2019, 04:28 PM
Great pass by Parker to McCartin

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 04:33 PM
Well, this is better. Tommy McC having a good one....

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 04:41 PM
Is there a strong wind to one end?

Ralph Dawg
24th August 2019, 04:42 PM
JPK having a good game, in particular it's the most bullish I've seen him at the contest for a while.
Also best game I've seen Hanners play in a while. Moving freely, hitting targets. I think he's done enough for another contract - hang on, he doesn't play for us anymore........

dejavoodoo44
24th August 2019, 04:46 PM
Good that we woke up and started showing some class again. Kennedy and Parker most responsible for the wake up call. Hope they keep on pounding in, in the last. Rowbottom had some really nice passages as well. And it looks like McCartin can handle playing deep forward.

Ralph Dawg
24th August 2019, 04:46 PM
Tom McCartain looks like the more likely 2nd tall target for us, Reid just having a shocking time with his hands. I think with a fit Buddy, McCartain, Blakey, Sinclair and maybe Menzel we can swing Sam back to play KPD. It will help Melican not having to take the number 1 tall forward.
Ronke looking good today, especially his general energy, attack on ball and disposal. Best game from him all year.

longmile
24th August 2019, 04:56 PM
So unselfish by Papley. Great stuff. On ya McVeigh!!

Big smile moment

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 04:57 PM
Great stuff! Go Macca!

longmile
24th August 2019, 04:57 PM
Parker and Kennedy are back to form. Amazing games by both

longmile
24th August 2019, 05:09 PM
Kieran jack's goal!! Poetry

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 05:09 PM
....and now Jack gets one.....beautiful!:five:

Can't wait to watch the game highlights.

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 05:14 PM
Over 33,000 at the game today.....second highest home ground attendance this season. Nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Go Buddy! Eight weeks out and he's starring today. With a full pre season....anything is possible next year.

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 05:27 PM
JPK can take this form through to next season.....from the AFL game feed.

"Captain Josh Kennedy led the way with a game-high 32 disposals, 15 contested possessions, 11 clearances, nine tackles as well as two goals."

The bull is back.:five:

Meg
24th August 2019, 05:36 PM
What a wonderful emotional day!

(I’ve wiped the 2nd quarter out of my memory.)

Meg
24th August 2019, 05:40 PM
And now we’ve got kick-to-kick + Sweet Caroline.

Bliss! [emoji1787]

Foreign Legion
24th August 2019, 05:41 PM
Good win in the end. Parker stepped up - Kennedy already good.

Dawson will be a star. Glad to see Ronke and Fox do a bit as they are the most susceptible to being delisted.

I reckon Mills is a champ. Great judgement and guts. Very good disposal.

Bob Skilton medal for me - Dane Rampe.

bloodspirit
24th August 2019, 05:45 PM

Dawson will be a star. Glad to see Ronke and Fox do a bit as they are the most susceptible to being delisted.

Ronke won't be delisted - he's got a contract.

I'd love to see Ramps win the B&F. He's had a great year and nobody else stands out especially. Better Ramps than Lloyd.

Rising Star will be a tussle between Dawson and Blakey. I'd give it to Dawson if he's eligible. They are both wonderful.

Best clubman??

dejavoodoo44
24th August 2019, 05:47 PM

Yes, Rampe is definitely my favourite for the Bob Skilton. And Kennedy and Parker were great in awaking us from our slumber, Hewett, also.

mcs
24th August 2019, 05:48 PM
Wish I could of been there! But what a bludy magnificent way to send out our champions - bravo Kizza, Macca, Reg and Nick - thankyou for all the joy you have bought to us!

So glad we lifted in the 3rd and 4th and got the job done - a win was the very least the champions retiring toda

And I'll finish with - despite a tough old season, this year has reminded me just how much I love our footy club :)

Cheer Cheer!:clap:

dejavoodoo44
24th August 2019, 05:50 PM
What a wonderful emotional day!

(I’ve wiped the 2nd quarter out of my memory.)

Yes, it was an emotional ending, what with Macca and Kizza both grabbing final quarter goals. And the parade of retiring premiership champions after full time.

dejavoodoo44
24th August 2019, 05:53 PM
Wish I could of been there! But what a bludy magnificent way to send out our champions - bravo Kizza, Macca, Reg and Nick - thankyou for all the joy you have bought to us!

So glad we lifted in the 3rd and 4th and got the job done - a win was the very least the champions retiring toda

And I'll finish with - despite a tough old season, this year has reminded me just how much I love our footy club :)

Yes, but it is strange that our season has finished in August. I'm not really used to that. But hey, maybe our reserves can win a final or two, and give me further optimism for next year. I'm already feeling pretty optimistic.

Melbourne_Blood
24th August 2019, 05:56 PM

Likewise ! Was a a perfect celebration for our retiring champions and our milestone superstar ! A packed SCG too which I don’t think we’ve seen all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcs
24th August 2019, 06:10 PM
Yes, but it is strange that our season has finished in August. I'm not really used to that. But hey, maybe our reserves can win a final or two, and give me further optimism for next year. I'm already feeling pretty optimistic.

A long way to go to get back into premiership contention, but there are a lot of young guys in our team that could become genuinely very good footballers. The ingredients are there, and there will be pain to come no doubt - but I don't think it will be long lasting. How many teams will probably finish 15th with a percentage of 97.7%. Another year we would of nabbed 4 or 5 of the close ones and played finals football. Fill some of the obvious gaps and we are on the right track.

The Big Cat
24th August 2019, 06:12 PM
Best clubman??

Dan Hannebery?

longmile
24th August 2019, 06:22 PM
Best clubman??

Sinclair or Kennedy?

Mel_C
24th August 2019, 06:29 PM
What a great last quarter. McVeigh and Jack kicked a goal and Buddy was able to add to his tally. I loved the celebrations after the goals!

So much emotion after the game. Loved the exchanges between Hanners and our players as well as with Longmire.

It was funny how Grundy didn't want to be carried off. I was worried that Reid and Aliir were going to drop Buddy!

It's a strange feeling that our season is over before the finals. I guess we will start hearing about list changes once they complete the reviews. And we'll probably find out about Jones and Papley.

Markwebbos
24th August 2019, 06:37 PM
Loved that Hanners chaired one of our retiring players off. But Macca looked like his heart was broken.

Foreign Legion
24th August 2019, 06:38 PM
So glad Jack got a last goal. I didn't think he would get a chance. I remember the checkside snap he did against Richmond in about 2016/17 that put us in front after being 5 down at half time.

Great guts from him as always. LOL have to say I like his brother's notes in The Age/SMH too.

Congrats to all our retirees.

Meg
24th August 2019, 07:04 PM
That was our second highest score (109 pts) of the season (WCE 116 pts) and only the 2nd time we’ve kicked more than 100 pts.

Good vibe for 2020!

Ralph Dawg
24th August 2019, 07:52 PM
What a great way to finish 2019. Certainly enough happened today to reflect upon (Macca, Lizza, Reg and Smooch - what amazing careers, Buddy 300 Aliir 50) and also to look forward to.
Re the future a few of my thoughts:
- JPK showed that he still has it - parity in the ruck seemed to help for sure. Marshall v Aliir / Reid more even than recent weeks
- Still on above, today highlighted what we can do at the contest if we can compete in the ruck.
- I think I wrote off Ronke too early. Looked really good today and should enter 2020 full of confidence.
- Dawson if he's not already will be a gun. The next Luke Hodge.
- We got the best McCartain.
- Reid might struggle for a spot in our forward line. If we don't recruit a KPD, that may be his place in 2020.
- Papley lacked no passion. Even singing the team song! Paps, please tell the girlfriend you're going no where and that she will love living in Sydney

- - - Updated - - -

Lizza = Kizza. I think as good as Blakey has been this year, it's a bit too early to make a call on his career!

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 07:52 PM
Buddy off to have ankle surgery now according to Seven News:hmmmm2:......just hope he can do a full pre season.

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 07:56 PM
- We got the best McCartin.

Or the luckier one......hopefully Tom keeps his head out of harms way.....definitely a potential gun.

Hotpotato
24th August 2019, 07:57 PM
Well that was a memorable day at the SCG that went pretty much according to script including idyllic weather and the club would have been chuffed. We all were. It was a like a feel good movie and the Saints contribution was genuine and moving.
I did keep thinking it would have been a therapeutic experience if Adam Goodes had joined the celebrations : for him, for us, the club and the vast majority who support him.
I get it wasn’t about him (and he’s not in the right space yet) but he was deeply connected to this group of retirees.
One day .

Ralph Dawg
24th August 2019, 07:58 PM
Or the luckier one......hopefully Tom keeps his head out of harms way.....he is a potential gun.
True. Poor Paddy has never really had the opportunity to showcase his talents.

stevoswan
24th August 2019, 08:02 PM
Well that was a memorable day at the SCG that went pretty much according to script including idyllic weather and the club would have been chuffed. We all were. It was a like a feel good movie and the Saints contribution was genuine and moving.
I did keep thinking it would have been a therapeutic experience if Adam Goodes had joined the celebrations : for him, for us, the club and the vast majority who support him.
I get it wasn’t about him (and he’s not in the right space yet) but he was deeply connected to this group of retirees.
One day .

I'm sure he was there with them in spirit......and in text on their phones.:five:

- - - Updated - - -

True. Poor Paddy has never really had the opportunity to showcase his talents.

A real sad story is Paddy.....he may never play again. Really sad.....

Mel_C
24th August 2019, 09:07 PM
Buddy off to have ankle surgery now according to Seven News:hmmmm2:......just hope he can do a full pre season.
Longmire said he will be ready for the start of preseason.

top40
24th August 2019, 09:14 PM
That was our second highest score (109 pts) of the season (WCE 116 pts) and only the 2nd time we’ve kicked more than 100 pts.

Good vibe for 2020!

Another interesting stat: only the second time in club history that the very last game for the entire season is a win at the SCG-the only other time was in 1995 against Collingwood. (Other last game victories were at the Olympic Stadium in 2002, and at the MCG in 2005 and 2012).

Mark26
24th August 2019, 10:19 PM
We just got back home from the game. There was so much to love about our final game today (apart from the second quarter). We started well, pushed ahead after half time and finished the game well.

I'm stoked that our retirees got to finish like that and to see Smooch and Reg afterwards was a thrill too. Hannebery is a class act. He wasn't far from the Swans after the siren and I loved too how he chaired off Macca.

I feel as though we are stepping into a new era with so much experience out. It's up to the young guns to shine and we have had a hell of a lot of players out injured this year. If we can add the right players around our existing ones and knock out a killer preseason, then anything is possible next year.

neilfws
24th August 2019, 10:27 PM
Aside from the second quarter, just a great day out.

Loved the crowd response when they realised Papley had dished off to McVeigh. Then you could see Jack edging up the ground thinking "I can get one of those too!" There's a great photo online of 5 Swans in the 50 and 4 of them pointing towards the goals as he runs in. "No you take it!"

Good day out for Buddy too, especially liked the tackle, HTB and goal. And McCartin was great too.

So we are done...feels strange, but a good way to go out and a lot of hope for next year. Days like this remind me why I keep coming back every new season.

Markwebbos
24th August 2019, 10:46 PM
Longmire said he will be ready for the start of preseason.

Yes. Horse said playing today was like a full road test of Buddy’s body. And that he will be back in November after his two surgeries.

Markwebbos
24th August 2019, 11:00 PM
I didn’t make it to the game today. Wish I had made it. the perfect sendoff for 4 premiership players

I can’t remember back to the last time we missed the finals. But there have been years when we’ve played finals and I’ve felt way less optimistic than I do about the Swans in 2020.

I’m really excited about next year and what this group can deliver.

Danzar
25th August 2019, 12:44 AM
Wow that was quite a game. Felt like a grand final, but with nostalgia and pride at its centre. There was this elevated level of energy with the team and it was echoed by the crowd. Mcveigh and Kizza kicking goals gave it a whole different shine.

It was as good a way to end a home and away season as we could have gotten without making finals.

aardvark
25th August 2019, 01:00 AM
A great day. A few tears. Back bigger and stronger next year. Well done Swannies.

25th August 2019, 09:37 AM
If you wanted to write a script for yesterday's game you would have written that! Everything you wanted happened.

I was glued to my seat in front of the telly and absolutely loved that last quarter, it became electric and then I got a bit teary through the post match stuff, so much emotion and goodwill, so many people handled it all with feeling and warmth.

Hanners chairing off Macca, the fact Reg and Smooch were there to join in and get a proper send of was great, the players calling in the whole squad for the song shows the feeling and buy in at the club, a proud Bloods moment. I'll watch again later.

If you're going to miss finals, that's the way to send off the season. Well done to everyone, including the crowd who were fantastic.

Sandridge
25th August 2019, 09:39 AM
My son and I flew up from Melbourne for the game.
An expensive day at the footy but worth every cent!
Seeing Kizza and Macca kick final quarter goals and the reaction of the players and the crowd to those goals - absolutley priceless! And winning helped! :smile:

A magnificent day at the SCG - a memory my son and I will have forever.

Go you mighty Bloods!

KTigers
25th August 2019, 10:11 AM
My son and I flew up from Melbourne for the game.
An expensive day at the footy but worth every cent!
Seeing Kizza and Macca kick final quarter goals and the reaction of the players and the crowd to those goals - absolutley priceless! And winning helped! :smile:

A magnificent day at the SCG - a memory my son and I will have forever.

Go you mighty Bloods!

Great call Sandridge to make the trip with your boy. As a mate of mine said afterwards, "That wasn't a football game, that was a movie".
Just an awesome day at the SCG.

Swanny40519
25th August 2019, 11:11 AM
Like all the other posters on here - it was a fantastic day at the SGC yesterday. Very emotional, very happy the way the game finished and very glad that Kizza, Macca, Smithee, Reg and Buddy got to enjoy the day more with a win.

Looking forward to a quiet September and a great summer pre season to see how the young swans will perform in 2020.

Ruck'n'Roll
25th August 2019, 11:45 AM
I found the whole thing very moving, a day in the sun, seeing the ressies then off to the main game. I'd still prefer to see the ressies back in the SCG but you can't have everything. Still hate the loud, converstaion impeding public address system at each break but I guess the club doesn't want the conversationally incompetent to feel excluded.
Then after the final siren, I actually teared up when I saw Hannaberry incorporated into the farewell celebrations. A wonderful day.

It was very strange to hear the very different perception of the day expressed by David King and some of the commentators who began the broadcast you saying how the day was all about Buddy, and that's the reason the crowd showed up. :hmmmm2:

top40
25th August 2019, 12:56 PM
I didn’t make it to the game today. Wish I had made it. the perfect sendoff for 4 premiership players

I can’t remember back to the last time we missed the finals. But there have been years when we’ve played finals and I’ve felt way less optimistic than I do about the Swans in 2020.

I’m really excited about next year and what this group can deliver.

Couldn’t help but notice that since 1990(the year the competition became the ‘AFL’), every season that the Swans have ended the year with a win in their very last game, they have made it to at least the Preliminary Final the next year, (in 1996, 2003, 2006, and 2013), as well as two Grand Finals, (‘96 and ‘06).

Not a bad omen?

Meg
25th August 2019, 01:33 PM

Loved the crowd response when they realised Papley had dished off to McVeigh. Then you could see Jack edging up the ground thinking "I can get one of those too!" There's a great photo online of 5 Swans in the 50 and 4 of them pointing towards the goals as he runs in. "No you take it!"

Here are the goals of McVeigh and Jack. As Neil has said, you can see the other Swans players pointing to take the shot to Jack.

Longmire said that the coaches were thinking about moving Jack to give him a chance for a goal but in the meantime Kennedy made the decision himself and sent Jack forward and McCartin back. With a brilliant result and a brilliant photo!

What a day!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1im-6inJ-J/?igshid=i52xfv1i7v6y

O'Reilly Boy
25th August 2019, 02:10 PM
The saddest aspect of the day is that we didn't ever get to see Adam off in such a glorious, joyous, spirited way.

royboy42
25th August 2019, 02:24 PM
Yes it was a poor quarter. BUT, sometimes the crowd can lift a side too. I have been disappointed by the crowds at the SCG this year - they used to be very vocal. Not many there either.
33,000 isn't too untidy for two bottom sides at the end of the season.

Meg
25th August 2019, 02:36 PM
The saddest aspect of the day is that we didn't ever get to see Adam off in such a glorious, joyous, spirited way.

I too have been sadly reflecting on that.

Meg
25th August 2019, 02:54 PM
More on Jack’s goal:

‘Jack was stationed in defence, but said Josh Kennedy had told him to send Tom McCartin down back and get himself further up the ground so he could be a chance of hitting the scoreboard one last time. It turns out a fan planted the idea in Kennedy's head.

"It was actually a supporter who told me when I was on the bench," Kennedy said. "They said, 'can you get Kieren a goal?'

"I said we've got to get him out of the back pocket first, which we were able to do, and then for him to kick a goal... he's kicked a few of them in his career, rolling into the left-hand pocket and bringing it back through the goals. It was pretty special."’

Swans fan sparks farewell goal A fan gave Josh Kennedy the idea of sending Kieren Jack into attack in the last quarter.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-a-swans-fan-helped-a-retiring-legend-get-his-farewell-goal-20190824-p52kec.html?btis

KTigers
25th August 2019, 03:03 PM
33,000 isn't too untidy for two bottom sides at the end of the season.

It's very tidy, and the third highest SCG crowd for the year.

ugg
25th August 2019, 03:13 PM
More on Jack’s goal:

‘Jack was stationed in defence, but said Josh Kennedy had told him to send Tom McCartin down back and get himself further up the ground so he could be a chance of hitting the scoreboard one last time. It turns out a fan planted the idea in Kennedy's head.

"It was actually a supporter who told me when I was on the bench," Kennedy said. "They said, 'can you get Kieren a goal?'

"I said we've got to get him out of the back pocket first, which we were able to do, and then for him to kick a goal... he's kicked a few of them in his career, rolling into the left-hand pocket and bringing it back through the goals. It was pretty special."’

Swans fan sparks farewell goal A fan gave Josh Kennedy the idea of sending Kieren Jack into attack in the last quarter.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-a-swans-fan-helped-a-retiring-legend-get-his-farewell-goal-20190824-p52kec.html?btis

Finally all those years of being an armchair coach pays off for that supporter.

dimelb
25th August 2019, 03:45 PM
Terrific day, with all the comments people have made, and especially that the Saints got back into the game and we had to fight for it.
A wonderful send-off for all our retirees - what a collection of stars - with an appropriate all-in singalong in the room.
Bring on 2020.

stevoswan
25th August 2019, 05:19 PM

+1

jcroz29
25th August 2019, 05:23 PM
- Still on above, today highlighted what we can do at the contest if we can compete in the ruck.
- I think I wrote off Ronke too early. Looked really good today and should enter 2020 full of confidence.

I agree on the above two sentiments. The first was the same back in 2016 even before the 6-6-6 rule and why Naismith got the run in the GF. The new rule makes it even more important.

On Ronke I was impressed with the foot skills he gave us today which matched the effort he put in. A couple of times earlier this year I had said the same about him - but with his body not right this was because his effort had not been good and his disposal and decision aligned. His fitness and effort are key to him being a contributor in the future as he just isn’t the most natural footballer - but if you look back at 05 and 12 we had a few of them as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevoswan
25th August 2019, 05:34 PM
There's two great photo's in the article linked by Meg in her above post.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/h...2kec.html?btis

In the first one (post Kizza's goal) Buddy is on the left.....he's either spent or he's just realising his need for a couple of off-season surgeries.:tongue:

The second one at the bottom is a beauty!:five:

giant
25th August 2019, 06:31 PM
Lovely to see Hanners so involved - social media suggests the fraternisation lasted long into the night.

Meg
25th August 2019, 06:35 PM
Lovely to see Hanners so involved - social media suggests the fraternisation lasted long into the night.

Lol, I thought that might happen!

stevoswan
25th August 2019, 07:00 PM

Brilliant! :five:

Mel_C
25th August 2019, 07:48 PM
Was Jones at the game yesterday? I noticed the NEAFL players and those that are out injured were out on the ground at end...(and singing the song)... but I couldn't see Jones on the tv.

Ludwig
25th August 2019, 08:45 PM
Was Jones at the game yesterday? I noticed the NEAFL players and those that are out injured were out on the ground at end...(and singing the song)... but I couldn't see Jones on the tv.Yes. He was there in the circle singing the song.
y

ugg
25th August 2019, 08:47 PM
Was Jones at the game yesterday? I noticed the NEAFL players and those that are out injured were out on the ground at end...(and singing the song)... but I couldn't see Jones on the tv.
He was watching the NEAFL game

26th August 2019, 12:46 AM
Yes. He was there in the circle singing the song.
y

Jones was there in the circle singing strongly!

tasswan
26th August 2019, 08:04 AM
Great game with a great finish!
After many disappointing TV games regarding the commentary etc, I though Foxtel did a great job and was very happy that they continued the coverage until after the song etc, made it memorable for those that couldn't get to the game/

KTigers
26th August 2019, 08:34 AM
Jones was there in the circle singing strongly!

Will re-sign for certain then. It's well known that there is a strong link between boisterous singing of the team song and
being a one team player. Likewise any player found guilty of just mouthing the words and not tickling the ear or ruffling the
the hair of the player next to him should be put on the trade table immediately.

Ralph Dawg
26th August 2019, 09:01 AM
Will re-sign for certain then. It's well known that there is a strong link between boisterous singing of the team song and
being a one team player. Likewise any player found guilty of just mouthing the words and not tickling the ear or ruffling the
the hair of the player next to him should be put on the trade table immediately.
Imagine if they let Hanners in. I reckon he would've belted our the song louder than most. Would that have warranted us trading him back in 😉?

26th August 2019, 09:14 AM
the hair of the player next to him should be put on the trade table immediately.Dawson gone then!

dejavoodoo44
26th August 2019, 09:22 AM
Imagine if they let Hanners in. I reckon he would've belted our the song louder than most. Would that have warranted us trading him back in 😉?
Well, now that he seems to be fit again. Though I was a bit disappointed with his game on the weekend. I don't think that he managed to kick it straight to one of our players even once.

neilfws
26th August 2019, 09:30 AM

He hung back after the Saints warm-up, spent a lot of time with the Swans coaches then jogged over to McVeigh for a hug. It was almost like he never left, just had the wrong jumper on!

https://i.postimg.cc/RhnzKYnc/2019-08-24-12-57-07.jpg (https://postimg.cc/wRHPd02v)

KTigers
26th August 2019, 09:34 AM

Absolutely. In fact if that had happened, and Dan was in there a belting out the song, crying because it brought back so many great
memories, Longmire and the list guys would have noticed and I'd say would have been in a meeting right now working out how they can
get Dan back to his spiritual home.

AnnieH
26th August 2019, 09:44 AM
He hung back after the Saints warm-up, spent a lot of time with the Swans coaches then jogged over to McVeigh for a hug. It was almost like he never left, just had the wrong jumper on!

...yeah no. He didn't spend the game kicking it to "the opposition".

What a big bang finish to an otherwise sombre year.
St Kilda hanging around until every swans player/official/hanger-on-er left the ground was a pure class act.
As much as I've bagged Hanners over the last few years, joining in to carry Macca off the field was, to me, a little presumptuous, but, considering he played 200-odd games with us, noice.
End. Of. An. Era.
So glad I got a ticket to the BnF.

S.S. Bleeder
26th August 2019, 10:33 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/RhnzKYnc/2019-08-24-12-57-07.jpg (https://postimg.cc/wRHPd02v)

He'll always be a blood. He could have dug his heals in about last years trade but was willing to go to help us out of a pickle. Top bloke.

Ralph Dawg
26th August 2019, 10:58 AM
Absolutely. In fact if that had happened, and Dan was in there a belting out the song, crying because it brought back so many great
memories, Longmire and the list guys would have noticed and I'd say would have been in a meeting right now working out how they can
get Dan back to his spiritual home.
Watching Saturday's game just made me feel so sentimental. All of the poor disposals of his last few seasons were forgotten and he really looked good. It just doesn't seem right that when Dan retires, it will be in front of fans who don't have that affection for him like we do. As a premiership player he should get the same send off as our fab four. But, I guess that's footy...........

Go Swannies
26th August 2019, 11:33 AM
Watching Saturday's game just made me feel so sentimental. All of the poor disposals of his last few seasons were forgotten and he really looked good. It just doesn't seem right that when Dan retires, it will be in front of fans who don't have that affection for him like we do. As a premiership player he should get the same send off as our fab four. But, I guess that's footy...........

At the siren I watched Hanners through binoculars. His meeting with each of his former team mates was warm, especially Kizza and Macca. But the bit the TV cameras cut away from was when he first met up with Horse. There was a very big hug and they walked arms around each other with lots of bum taps (the last of. hat was when the camera cut back) I'd heard it wasn't a pleasant parting but if so, the wounds seem to have well and truly healed - it was a meeting of two best mates.

neilfws
26th August 2019, 12:56 PM
Another nice story from Saturday by Cynthia Banham, who you will remember from earlier in the season:

Simple acts of grace - sydneyswans.com.au (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-08-26/simple-acts-of-grace)

Captain
26th August 2019, 02:02 PM
Great article!

dimelb
26th August 2019, 02:16 PM
Lady can sure write. Get your hanky out!

stevoswan
26th August 2019, 03:54 PM
St Kilda hanging around until every swans player/official/hanger-on-er left the ground was a pure class act.
As much as I've bagged Hanners over the last few years, joining in to carry Macca off the field was, to me, a little presumptuous, but, considering he played 200-odd games with us, noice.

I'm sure he was invited by the Swans to do so, with open arms....and it was entirely appropriate.:five: It also added to the Saints class that they were happy for him to be part of it. Magic stuff!

stevoswan
26th August 2019, 03:58 PM

Let's hope his final game is a fairytale match against the Swans, so we can add something special to his send off.

stevoswan
26th August 2019, 04:04 PM
Lady can sure write. Get your hanky out!

+1 She sure can....

MattW
26th August 2019, 09:24 PM
Loved this moment on Saturday: Sydney Swans on Twitter: "When Rowy is on a mission 👊🏾

(This determination resulted in a Parker goal)

#ProudlySydney… " (https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/1165815483611791365?s=09).

I'm excited about Rowbottom. Breaks tackles, sticks his, elite field kick.

Markwebbos
26th August 2019, 09:55 PM
Loved this moment on Saturday: Sydney Swans on Twitter: "When Rowy is on a mission 👊🏾

#ProudlySydney… " (https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/1165815483611791365?s=09).

He's had a very impressive first year. He's quick, good inside and a beautiful kick. It does feel like the Swans have tried to recruit faster and more skilful players in the last few years. Which bodes very well for the future.

Meg
26th August 2019, 09:56 PM
Like everyone else I loved Hannebery’s input into the post-game celebrations.

Did anyone see either Henry Playfair or Ben McGlynn, both of whom I think are on the coaching staff at the Saints?

Markwebbos
26th August 2019, 10:09 PM
Like everyone else I loved Hannebery’s input into the post-game celebrations.

Did anyone see either Henry Playfair or Ben McGlynn, both of whom I think are on the coaching staff at the Saints?

Playfair was there after the game. Didn't see McGlynn.

MattW
26th August 2019, 10:41 PM
Also, career high marks (8; 4 contested, which was game high and equal round high) and goals (3) from McCartin on the weekend. Another who benefits from Buddy playing.

mcs
27th August 2019, 12:02 AM

Mark my words. Paddlebutt is going to be a star. Kid did so well in his first year - going to be a very fine player I think.

AnnieH
27th August 2019, 09:44 AM
Saturday's game was really special... from the closeness of it at half-time (yes, after we gave away another lead), to the massacre in the second half... to the special milestones and to the teary goodbye celebrations.
So glad and grateful that I was there to share it all.
We won't see that again.

AnnieH
27th August 2019, 09:48 AM
Another nice story from Saturday by Cynthia Banham, who you will remember from earlier in the season:

Simple acts of grace - sydneyswans.com.au (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-08-26/simple-acts-of-grace)

Bring your tissues!! Where's the warning?
Noice.

Bloods05
27th August 2019, 10:54 AM
Mark my words. Paddlebutt is going to be a star. Kid did so well in his first year - going to be a very fine player I think.

Yes, he is. Great all-round game.

sprite
27th August 2019, 01:29 PM

If only we can work out a way to avoid the second year blues, he has the talent and ability to be a top liner.

Mel_C
27th August 2019, 08:24 PM
Agree with the praise for Rowbottom. He impresses me more every week. One thing I have noticed is that even though he is only a first year player he gives instructions to other players.

ScottH
28th August 2019, 09:29 AM

Took a couple of games, but then he really started to look like he fitted in.
Going to be really good next year!!!

mcs
28th August 2019, 12:27 PM
Took a couple of games, but then he really started to look like he fitted in.
Going to be really good next year!!!

Yeh his first couple of games were a bit rough, and as with every young player he was a bit up and down - but in most games (similar to Blakey) there were a few moments that just make you think he has 'class' stamped all over him. Some of his footy towards the end of the year was very, very good for a first year player. Can't wait to see what he can do in time - though as always, we should be patient if there are signs of 2nd year blues.

mcs
28th August 2019, 12:33 PM
If only we can work out a way to avoid the second year blues, he has the talent and ability to be a top liner.

We just need to accept them if they come along, and be willing to wear the pain. It'll be worth it in the end - that I have little doubt about.

Ollie Florent is a good example of 2nd year blues/even arguably 3rd year blues. But his last 8 weeks were very, very good and he will only build from here and is starting to hit the sweet spot.

Rowbottom's first dozen games reminds me of Hanners int he way h burst onto the scene and has had a genuine early impact.

bloodspirit
28th August 2019, 01:34 PM
Yeh his first couple of games were a bit rough, and as with every young player he was a bit up and down - but in most games (similar to Blakey) there were a few moments that just make you think he has 'class' stamped all over him. Some of his footy towards the end of the year was very, very good for a first year player. Can't wait to see what he can do in time - though as always, we should be patient if there are signs of 2nd year blues.

Hear, hear!

Auntie.Gerald
28th August 2019, 02:58 PM
Very much a Luke Parker first season for me

Strong enough for contested footy and really getting smarter and smarter on the field for a guy who didn’t kick that well in his AFL draft year

His kicking and decision making has improved tremendously in yr 1

He will be more and more in the midfield rotation next year based on his current trajectory

bloodspirit
2nd September 2019, 10:42 AM
Richmond really excelled in grabbing a couple of players from nowhere that look like they will be something in first Sydney Stack and now, Marlion Pickett: BARRETT: Shades of Dermie in Tiger rookie's bid for finals debut - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-01/barrett-shades-of-dermie-in-tiger-rookies-bid-for-finals-debut). All players overlooked by every club (including the Tigers) at the 2018 ND and rookie draft. Incidentally, given some recent debate on RWO about Harley Bennell, also both players with off-field disciplinary issues/troubled pasts.