PDA

View Full Version : Team List Changes for Rd. 5 vs West Coast Eagles

MattW
30th June 2020, 10:14 PM
IN: Stoddart; Melican; Gray
OUT: Fox; Naismith; Blakey

There is no point persevering with Fox in that running defender role - too many mistakes under pressure and I just don't see the improvement. He reminds me of Rose/Brandon Jack in his apparent fear of taking possession. I also think there is a pretty low ceiling on O'Riordan, although I understand that may be a minority view - too many kicking and awareness errors at the top level. So let's give Stoddart a go - properly, for at least a few weeks. He's been an emergency the last couple of games. I note barracuda's comment that he is not AFL standard, but it's his third year and I think it's time to give him another shot.

Either McCartin or Melican in for Naismith. I went for Melican to play on either Darling or Kennedy, while Rampe takes the other. I can't see Aliir really matching either for body strength. But, we might need him to match up on one if Ryan gets loose against... *checks notes* ... Cunningham(?) and Rampe needs to take Ryan. The absence of a shut-down small defender in the Smith mould is a real liability. Please not Mills, he's a decent loose man type defender, but it's actually kind of painful to watch him defend one-on-one and Ryan will be too quick and the others too big. (Of course, John's comments in today's presser are not cause for optimism although he did readily acknowledge Mills played well in midfield.) I notice Brand is listed as injured for the next two weeks. Looks like we're waiting for O'Connor.

Again, suspect this is a minority view, but Blakey looks really lost and down on confidence at the moment, and in my view needs a spell and a chance to build confidence playing at reserves level. It worked last year. Gray needs to up his work-rate, but at least he's a good kick and smart with the ball (yes, when he gets it).

waswan
30th June 2020, 11:18 PM
Stephens to play on Gaff

Got to play a top 5 pick.

waswan
30th June 2020, 11:23 PM
Stephens the 1 of 2 top 10 picks
yet to get a game, the other is from Freo who have played 2 of their3 top ten picks

Nico
30th June 2020, 11:33 PM
Please not Melican. As loose as granny's teeth and gives NO run out of the backline.

Markwebbos
1st July 2020, 12:11 AM
Someone needs to come in if Mills is to be allowed to move to the middle. Why not McCartin? Agree about Fox.

TheBloods
1st July 2020, 01:03 AM
Out: take your pick - McLean, Blakey, Taylor, Fox, Ronke, McInerney, Hayward, Cunningham

In: anyone who can perform for more than a quarter and a half. and who actually give a damn about the jumper they're wearing and the great club it represents.

bloodspirit
1st July 2020, 08:21 AM
Good intro, MattW. And some interesting ideas.

On paper we look outgunned but it's not a bad time to have drawn the Eagles. Maybe their hub-itis will give us a chance. Or maybe they'll finally get their act together.

I don't have many bright ideas about selection. It's hard to judge without being able to watch reserves. Could be good to regain McCartin but I won't be surprised if they spell him another week. Gray seems a likely inclusion although it will mean we're getting shorter and shorter. In fact, if we select as you suggest, won't we only have three players 190+ cm? (Sinclair, McLean & Aliir unless McCartin is available.) Actually, I'm overlooking the addition of Melican, which goes to show why we need him.

I'm not sure what to think about COR. He's such a hard worker. Does that reinforce your point about him having a low ceiling (otherwise wouldn't he be better by now?) or does it suggest he will be able to remedy his deficiencies if given enough opportunity?

Last random thought: it bears remembering that these are strange and difficult times. There are a lot of people who are struggling. Players are not immune. Do we need to make some allowance for this before making long term judgments about their worth? The coaches and welfare staff are fortunately better placed to assess this.

waswan
1st July 2020, 09:17 AM
Probably the tallest injury list ever, Mccartin aside everyone is 196cm Plus

waswan
1st July 2020, 11:30 AM
Someone needs to come in if Mills is to be allowed to move to the middle. Why not McCartin? Agree about Fox.
Just read that article from Longmire about who replaces Mills down back, must be the only coach in the comp worried about losing a lockdown defender instead of a ball winning midfielder

He is our top 3 onballer or our 3rd best defender

Absolute madness

Mountain Man
1st July 2020, 11:41 AM
IMHO Mills is not well suited to match either Darling or Kennedy (too small) OR Ryan (too slow). Surely Mills to mid field for this match.

If McCartin is available, it will be interesting to see if he is played down back or in the forward line - good experience if on say Darling.

1st July 2020, 03:11 PM
IMHO Mills is not well suited to match either Darling or Kennedy (too small) OR Ryan (too slow). Surely Mills to mid field for this match.

If McCartin is available, it will be interesting to see if he is played down back or in the forward line - good experience if on say Darling.

Darling will snap Big Tommy in half

Ralph Dawg
1st July 2020, 06:40 PM
Given how important it is to rebound quickly out of defence, especially when you have an undersized forward line, I feel we need to free Aliir and Rampe from tackling the big KF. Aliir is much better playing loose, intercepting attacking forays and Rampe can be potent with his run and carry, finished off with a penetrating left boot. Plus Aliir then more able to give a chop out in the ruck. Would it not be worth trying 2 of Melican, Brand and Maibaum to match up on Darling and Kennedy? Our back half could look like Melican, Brand (if fit), Aliir, Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham. Mills plays out of the middle, Dawson on a wing / HF.

Ins Melican Brand (Maibaum) McCartain
Outs Naismith Fox Hayward

waswan
1st July 2020, 07:08 PM
Brand is unavailable
He "hurt himself in the final session and couldnt get up for the game" which is 3 weeks min at Sydney

longmile
1st July 2020, 07:12 PM
In: Melican, Gray
Out: Naismith, Blakey

Hayward to try a more midfield or defensive role.

KSAS
2nd July 2020, 07:52 AM
Given how important it is to rebound quickly out of defence, especially when you have an undersized forward line, I feel we need to free Aliir and Rampe from tackling the big KF. Aliir is much better playing loose, intercepting attacking forays and Rampe can be potent with his run and carry, finished off with a penetrating left boot. Plus Aliir then more able to give a chop out in the ruck. Would it not be worth trying 2 of Melican, Brand and Maibaum to match up on Darling and Kennedy? Our back half could look like Melican, Brand (if fit), Aliir, Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham. Mills plays out of the middle, Dawson on a wing / HF.

Ins Melican Brand (Maibaum) McCartain
Outs Naismith Fox Hayward
+1
This also has been my thinking with our defensive structure & where players might be best suited for their game/team. With Brand still being unavailable, Maibaum comes into selection consideration as the 3rd tall. McCartin and McLean being our tall targets up forward, with the latter also able to provide as a ruck chop out alongside Allir in assisting Sinclair. Not sure where Knoll is at with his injury recovery, but look forward to see him being given a decent run in Naismith's absence.

My only point of difference is Blakey going out instead of Hayward, who appears to be suffering from the 2nd year blues. Agree with Longmile above for Hayward to be given more of a midfield/defensive role to see if it helps improves his game.

wolftone57
2nd July 2020, 11:27 AM
IN: Stoddart; Melican; Gray
OUT: Fox; Naismith; Blakey

There is no point persevering with Fox in that running defender role - too many mistakes under pressure and I just don't see the improvement. He reminds me of Rose/Brandon Jack in his apparent fear of taking possession. I also think there is a pretty low ceiling on O'Riordan, although I understand that may be a minority view - too many kicking and awareness errors at the top level. So let's give Stoddart a go - properly, for at least a few weeks. He's been an emergency the last couple of games. I note barracuda's comment that he is not AFL standard, but it's his third year and I think it's time to give him another shot.

Either McCartin or Melican in for Naismith. I went for Melican to play on either Darling or Kennedy, while Rampe takes the other. I can't see Aliir really matching either for body strength. But, we might need him to match up on one if Ryan gets loose against... *checks notes* ... Cunningham(?) and Rampe needs to take Ryan. The absence of a shut-down small defender in the Smith mould is a real liability. Please not Mills, he's a decent loose man type defender, but it's actually kind of painful to watch him defend one-on-one and Ryan will be too quick and the others too big. (Of course, John's comments in today's presser are not cause for optimism although he did readily acknowledge Mills played well in midfield.) I notice Brand is listed as injured for the next two weeks. Looks like we're waiting for O'Connor.

Again, suspect this is a minority view, but Blakey looks really lost and down on confidence at the moment, and in my view needs a spell and a chance to build confidence playing at reserves level. It worked last year. Gray needs to up his work-rate, but at least he's a good kick and smart with the ball (yes, when he gets it).Grey did not play last week and his average possessions are far greater than Hayward & Blakey put together. I think you mix him up with Taylor, averaging disposals.

Fox as far as I am concerned was no worse than most last week. In fact I thought him OK and he did try things. As for him not taking possession well that may have been because all our players were under the pump as soon as they got the ball as Dogs fought in packs. We did not protect the man with the ball, something we are renowned for not doing. We do not shepherd. We do not practice shepherding at training. Both Roos & Longmire are not fans of the shepherd. They believe the man doing the team thing could be used as an extra receiver. That is all good if you don't have a team hunting you in packs. Then it comes unstuck. Lost us two GF.

I think Hayward, Taylor, Blakey, O'Riordan are needing to get some form up. Naismith is injured. Sinclair will get slaughtered by NicNat. We tried Aliir against him some time back and he was quite good. Matched him for athleticism. But we need Aliir back. So it looks like Sinclair & McLean. Too many of our players are up and down in form. Some are not running both ways, being lazy. We need to fix our contested footy and set plays. They were non existant against Dogs.

I think we NEED to make some drastic changes.

In: Out of McCartin, Gould, Stephens, Ling, Wicks, Bell

Out: Naismith, Hayward, Blakey, O'Riordan, Taylor

We are not going to win a premiership this year so let's play some youngsters and watch them develop. I would love to know how the Scratch Match went as that would be an indicator as to which players are ready to go.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

wolftone57
2nd July 2020, 11:40 AM
Please not Melican. As loose as granny's teeth and gives NO run out of the backline.Nico, not all defenders are running defenders. Smithy & Reg certainly were not. Every team needs hard lock down defenders like them. The unfortunate thing is I believe Melican is unsuited to playing on the monsters. He is more comfortable playing on the players Rampe generally gets. Brand is better suited to the monsters. But in reality neither Kennedy nor Darling are monsters. But they do play a second ruck. So Brand, if fit may come back.

We have to look at O'Riordan's role. He looks out of sorts. His normal role in the reserves has been as a running defender or mid. Now he is being asked to play the Smithy role as a lock down defender. I think he is highly unsuited to this role and gets totally out positioned. I believe Fox would be far more suited ala Sydney Stack at Richmond. Both take species, both lock down really well and both are pretty good in a tight spot. I think Colin is not any of those. What's more on the small, big marking targets like Ryan I think Fox is far more suited as he can match them in the air. O'Riordan cannot.

wolftone57
2nd July 2020, 11:45 AM
Out: take your pick - McLean, Blakey, Taylor, Fox, Ronke, McInerney, Hayward, Cunningham

In: anyone who can perform for more than a quarter and a half. and who actually give a damn about the jumper they're wearing and the great club it represents.I think you are a bit hard on Ronke. His forward pressure was good. He looked a bit rusty but I think after a game under his belt he will be much better. You must remember the reserves did not have a hit out the week before so his game was going to be a bit out of sync. McLean did not do a lot wrong. The ball was coming down like like a Dresden Donut. Some of the worst delivery to a forward line ever. Not to mention the fact it hardly went in there in the first half (19 times).

Markwebbos
2nd July 2020, 11:48 AM
Nico, not all defenders are running defenders. Smithy & Reg certainly were not. Every team needs hard lock down defenders like them. The unfortunate thing is I belive Melican is unsuited to playing on the monsters. He is more comfortable playing on the players Rampe generally gets. Brand is better suited to the monsters. But in reality neither Kennedy nor Darling are monsters. But they do play a second ruck. So Brand, if fit may come back.

We have to look at O'Riordan's role. He looks out of sorts. His normal role in the reserves has been as a running defender or mid. Now he is being asked to play the Smithy role as a lock down defender ala Smithy. I think he is highly unsuited to this role and gets totally out positioned. I believe Fox would be far more suited ala Sydney Stack at Richmond. Both take species, both lick downrealky well and both are pretty good in a tight spot. I think Colin is not any of those. What's more on the small, big marking targets like Ryan I think Fox is far more suited as he can match them in the air. O'Riordan cannot.

Interesting observations

Colin Hounsell
2nd July 2020, 03:08 PM
In. McCartin, Melican
Out. Naismith, Fox

Hoping McCartin is fit and Melican can show some form even though it doesn’t sound like he is firing in the ressies. Changes needed for team balance. Thought fox looked terrible even though I’d hoped he could take the nick smith role. Aliir not working as a man on man defender. Another tall in defence could release aliir into the mills playmaker role. Liked the look of mills on the ball and Hayward into defence as a runner. Why we couldn’t recruit a cheap nick smith replacement instead of multiple fwd/mids who aren’t two way runners I don’t know. Our season rests on Reid getting fit. Someone (please) from stoddart/ling/oriordan/Hayward standing up. Someone from ronke/Taylor/gray doing well at 25% tine in midfield. Melican/brand solidifying as a tall stopper. Our solid performers are plugging too many gaps at the moment.

Ludwig
2nd July 2020, 03:08 PM
WCE as a team are way out of form this year. Both Kennedy and Darling are having a poor start to the year. So we have 2 teams that are both out of form playing each other. Who knows what will happen? The team that works the hardest is likely to win, but who knows in this crazy season which players will be up to the task and which team will click as a coordinated unit, if either.

I don't care who comes into the side this week, although I would like to see a couple of new faces.

mcs
2nd July 2020, 03:12 PM
WCE as a team are way out of form this year. Both Kennedy and Darling are having a poor start to the year. So we have 2 teams that are both out of form playing each other. Who knows what will happen? The team that works the hardest is likely to win, but who knows in this crazy season which players will be up to the task and which team will click as a coordinated unit, if either.

I don't care who comes into the side this week, although I would like to see a couple of new faces.

I predict we will go alright. Only on the basis that so many teams are working on a 'week on' 'week off' timetable it seems, and we were rank off last week, so due to be back on tomorrow. WCE have been utterly awful this year, but with our ruck looking a mess, Nic Nat should give their midfield good service you'd think.

Colin Hounsell
2nd July 2020, 03:20 PM
True. But last week our midfield looked like they didn’t know how to rove for a ruckman winning the tap. With Sinclair back in the hit outs we will be back to normal service

Blood Fever
2nd July 2020, 03:23 PM
In. McCartin, Melican
Out. Naismith, Fox

Hoping McCartin is fit and Melican can show some form even though it doesn’t sound like he is firing in the ressies. Changes needed for team balance. Thought fox looked terrible even though I’d hoped he could take the nick smith role. Aliir not working as a man on man defender. Another tall in defence could release aliir into the mills playmaker role. Liked the look of mills on the ball and Hayward into defence as a runner. Why we couldn’t recruit a cheap nick smith replacement instead of multiple fwd/mids who aren’t two way runners I don’t know. Our season rests on Reid getting fit. Someone (please) from stoddart/ling/oriordan/Hayward standing up. Someone from ronke/Taylor/gray doing well at 25% tine in midfield. Melican/brand solidifying as a tall stopper. Our solid performers are plugging too many gaps at the moment.

Well put CH- another very good player wearing No 23!

Scottee
2nd July 2020, 03:41 PM
Good intro, MattW. And some interesting ideas.

On paper we look outgunned but it's not a bad time to have drawn the Eagles. Maybe their hub-itis will give us a chance. Or maybe they'll finally get their act together.

I don't have many bright ideas about selection. It's hard to judge without being able to watch reserves. Could be good to regain McCartin but I won't be surprised if they spell him another week. Gray seems a likely inclusion although it will mean we're getting shorter and shorter. In fact, if we select as you suggest, won't we only have three players 190+ cm? (Sinclair, McLean & Aliir unless McCartin is available.) Actually, I'm overlooking the addition of Melican, which goes to show why we need him.

I'm not sure what to think about COR. He's such a hard worker. Does that reinforce your point about him having a low ceiling (otherwise wouldn't he be better by now?) or does it suggest he will be able to remedy his deficiencies if given enough opportunity?

Last random thought: it bears remembering that these are strange and difficult times. There are a lot of people who are struggling. Players are not immune. Do we need to make some allowance for this before making long term judgments about their worth? The coaches and welfare staff are fortunately better placed to assess this.

I would swap Hayward and COR. Hayward finally started to show some confidence when shifted back last week and COR has shown he has some goal kicking talents in the past. His defensive skills would not go astray in the forward line any way. Low risk, potentially high reward strategy IMHO.

dimelb
2nd July 2020, 04:29 PM
I would swap Hayward and COR. Hayward finally started to show some confidence when shifted back last week and COR has shown he has some goal kicking talents in the past. His defensive skills would not go astray in the forward line any way. Low risk, potentially high reward strategy IMHO.

Interesting suggestion and well worth a try. We would be making next year's future, not this year's present.

Sandrevan
2nd July 2020, 04:34 PM
Was our poor performance last week due to a 5 day turnaround? This week it's a 9 day turnaround

We need another tall; Melican is the only fit tall we have unless Maibaum is ready.

The Mills conundrum - easy answer. Hayward to defence with Mills to stay in the midfield.

With the season basically a write-off I'd like to see the MC get games into just about everyone. Clarke, Bell, Stoddart, Ling, Warner, Stevens, Gould, Thurlow, Grey

Somehow I don't think this will happen...I think it will be

Out: Naismith
In: Melican

Markwebbos
2nd July 2020, 04:48 PM
Think it’s season on the line stuff for the WCE. But we have a really good record against them, particularly away from Perth.

Hard to know with a very young side, loss of coaching staff, restrictions on training (and socialising), a number of key position players injured, no NEAFL and a 5 day turnaround where it went wrong last week. Or more to the point how to put it right this week.

But please please (1) Mills to mids (2) bring in at least 1 probably 2 tall defenders (3) Aliir to play loose or in the ruck, not in a lockdown role (4) keep experimenting with out-of-form players namely Blakey, Hayward, Fox, Dawson etc (5) get games into those that would normally be playing NEAFL as much as possible.

Ralph Dawg
2nd July 2020, 06:09 PM
Think it’s season on the line stuff for the WCE. But we have a really good record against them, particularly away from Perth.

Hard to know with a very young side, loss of coaching staff, restrictions on training (and socialising), a number of key position players injured, no NEAFL and a 5 day turnaround where it went wrong last week. Or more to the point how to put it right this week.

But please please (1) Mills to mids (2) bring in at least 1 probably 2 tall defenders (3) Aliir to play loose or in the ruck, not in a lockdown role (4) keep experimenting with out-of-form players namely Blakey, Hayward, Fox, Dawson etc (5) get games into those that would normally be playing NEAFL as much as possible.
1) Yes 2) Yes 3) Yes 4) Yes
5) Definite yes. I think our chances of a top 1-6 finish are very low. We are rebuilding and season 2020 will always be viewed as a tainted season. With that in mind, I'd love to see 1-2 spots on the team reserved for our the players that we need to get games into. Stephens, Gould, Warner, Stoddart and Ling are some who come to mind. Players like Fox, Thurlow, Clarke, Bell and Wicks have all reached their respective ceilings and are not going to propel us to our next serious tilt at a flag, so best not to pick them, even if they are best 22 for that particular game.

TheBloods
2nd July 2020, 06:19 PM
1) Yes 2) Yes 3) Yes 4) Yes
5) Definite yes. I think our chances of a top 1-6 finish are very low. We are rebuilding and season 2020 will always be viewed as a tainted season. With that in mind, I'd love to see 1-2 spots on the team reserved for our the players that we need to get games into. Stephens, Gould, Warner, Stoddart and Ling are some who come to mind. Players like Fox, Thurlow, Clarke, Bell and Wicks have all reached their respective ceilings and are not going to propel us to our next serious tilt at a flag, so best not to pick them, even if they are best 22 for that particular game.

Fox was very impressive just two weeks ago. He will never receive a Brownlow vote but he can perform roles asked of him more often than not. Wicks was also one of our best performers in the NEAFL last year. I would much rather persist with those two than a Stoddart who has been mediocre at reserves level and poor at senior level.

Odysseus
2nd July 2020, 06:55 PM
Well put CH- another very good player wearing No 23!

Nice to read that Colin had the ability both to turn the fortunes of a football game AND to annoy the Collingwood Football Club in a clearance dispute: http://https://news.google.com.au/newspapers?id=_fFUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Q5IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4863,6316713 (https://news.google.com.au/newspapers?id=_fFUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Q5IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4863,6316713)

Blood Fever
2nd July 2020, 07:21 PM
Nice to read that Colin had the ability both to turn the fortunes of a football game AND to annoy the Collingwood Football Club in a clearance dispute: http://https://news.google.com.au/newspapers?id=_fFUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Q5IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4863,6316713 (https://news.google.com.au/newspapers?id=_fFUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Q5IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4863,6316713)

He was a very useful player. Needed every bit of my reading glasses! Thanks Odysseus. Reminded me of microfiche!

ugg
2nd July 2020, 07:22 PM
In: Clarke Gray Melican O'Riordan
Out: Fox (omitted) Naismith (injured) Sinclair (injured) Taylor (omitted)

Emg: Fox Taylor Foot Warner

waswan
2nd July 2020, 07:40 PM
Happy enough with the changes but still want to see someone debut.
I wonder if there is anything to read into the Emergencies
Warner the only 1st yr listed

jono2707
2nd July 2020, 07:47 PM
What on earth are we doing to our ruckmen???

(Although will be happy to see Aliir in the centre)

Blood Fever
2nd July 2020, 07:52 PM
Taylor getting closer

Bexl
2nd July 2020, 07:54 PM
Taylor getting closer

I think you got your Taylors mixed up. its Lewis Taylor Emergancy

Ludwig
2nd July 2020, 07:59 PM
What on earth are we doing to our ruckmen???

(Although will be happy to see Aliir in the centre)Some may say a curse has been put upon them. Maybe even by a RWO member. But I don't believe in those kind of stories.

Blood Fever
2nd July 2020, 08:05 PM
I think you got your Taylors mixed up. its Lewis Taylor Emergancy

Thx B.Got a bit excited after hearing he impressed in scratch match!

Markwebbos
2nd July 2020, 08:14 PM
In: Clarke Gray Melican O'Riordan
Out: Fox (omitted) Naismith (injured) Sinclair (injured) Taylor (omitted)

Emg: Fox Taylor Foot Warner

Ok so AA goes to the ruck and is replaced by the Pelican. Gray for Taylor. O’Riordan for Fox... is Clarke able to play a lockdown role as a defender rather than a tagger or will we see Mills lining up in the backline yet again?

- - - Updated - - -

Could Thurlow be the messiah to free up Mills?

Mel_C
2nd July 2020, 08:24 PM
Some may say a curse has been put upon them. Maybe even by a RWO member. But I don't believe in those kind of stories.
Yes Ludwig you are to blame! 2 years in a row can't be a coincidence 😋.

MattW
2nd July 2020, 08:35 PM
Ok so AA goes to the ruck and is replaced by the Pelican. Gray for Taylor. O’Riordan for Fox... is Clarke able to play a lockdown role as a defender rather than a tagger or will we see Mills lining up in the backline yet again?

- - - Updated - - -

Or McLean rucks in centre and front half, Aliir stays back with Melican and rucks in the back half, Mills moves into the centre, Hewett moves a little forward and Clarke tags Shuey.

dejavoodoo44
2nd July 2020, 09:28 PM
Yes Ludwig you are to blame! 2 years in a row can't be a coincidence 😋.

Yes, two years in a row. It must be voodoo. Dejavoodoo.

dejavoodoo44
2nd July 2020, 09:38 PM
Looks like Sinkers has a knee injury, but it's more bone bruising, rather than anything major. Should be back in 2 or 3 weeks. Which I think is when Knoll is due back? What's Mike Pyke doing these days?

waswan
2nd July 2020, 10:09 PM
Longmire said Sinkers in minor, didnt quite get up....... 5 weeks

aardvark
3rd July 2020, 10:25 AM
Every time we pick Clarke I feel like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Markwebbos
3rd July 2020, 10:34 AM
Every time we pick Clarke I feel like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Or that someone else with more upside should be playing

aguy
3rd July 2020, 10:52 AM
Clarke will tag gaff. I think that’s a pretty smart selection myself. Let’s hewett be the midfielder we know he can be.

- - - Updated - - -

I also hope that they use Aliir as the main ruck and leave Maclean mostly forward.

Swanny40519
3rd July 2020, 11:06 AM
Not impressed with the team selection.

Both Gray and Clarke have been tried before - Gray dropped due to bad performance, played in a scratch match and straight back in the side. Last year Clarke was in and out of the team and found it difficult to consolidate a position.

Where are the young guys we drafted last year and the years before - Stoddard, Gould, Stephens, Warner, Ling, Bell. I would have thought the way we are going, some of those guys would be given a chance.

I think Horse is too afraid to take a chance on the younger guys, but unless we give them a try we will never know.

This year is looking very bleak.

Blood Fever
3rd July 2020, 11:10 AM

- - - Updated - - -

The messiah would have performed his miracle by now. Thurlow is a false prophet.

The Big Cat
3rd July 2020, 11:25 AM

Both Gray and Clarke have been tried before - Gray dropped due to bad performance, played in a scratch match and straight back in the side. Last year Clarke was in and out of the team and found it difficult to consolidate a position.

Where are the young guys we drafted last year and the years before - Stoddard, Gould, Stephens, Warner, Ling, Bell. I would have thought the way we are going, some of those guys would be given a chance.

I think Horse is too afraid to take a chance on the younger guys, but unless we give them a try we will never know.

Horse has said people won’t be gifted games. Obviously the blokes you quote are not tearing it up on the track.

waswan
3rd July 2020, 11:25 AM

5yr apprenticeship at Sydney, Mills in his last year, Zak Jones funished and left.

Got to play kids, Ling should be in Stephens should be in

Western Bulldogs young blokes seem to be able to handle it

3rd July 2020, 04:53 PM
Ling didn't play in the scratch match last week i think i read somewhere on here. he will be lucky to survive year end

Ralph Dawg
3rd July 2020, 05:17 PM
Looks like the draft class of 2017 hasn't yielded too much. We took Ling, McCartin and Stoddart in the main draft, followed by Angus Styles, Amartey, Jake Brown, James Bell and Alex Johnson.

Markwebbos
3rd July 2020, 11:11 PM
Looks like the draft class of 2017 hasn't yielded too much. We took Ling, McCartin and Stoddart in the main draft, followed by Angus Styles, Amartey, Jake Brown, James Bell and Alex Johnson.

I think right now 2017 is being judged as a weak draft. Not many stars have shone yet

ernie koala
3rd July 2020, 11:49 PM
Ling didn't play in the scratch match last week i think i read somewhere on here. he will be lucky to survive year end

Add him to the list....

Willoughby
Johnston
Vespremi
D O'Keefe
Lamb
Towers
Ling

History shows, our recruiters have a very ordinary strike rate with mid to late 1st round draft picks.

Hereitis
3rd July 2020, 11:51 PM

Yes, we had picks 14, 33 and 51 in a weak draft, taking a punt on a fast half back with a beautiful kick, but also an injury. Ling is 21 and McCartin 20, so not giving up on them yet. Anything after 40 is a massive bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Markwebbos
4th July 2020, 02:42 AM
Eagles' season on the line against Swans: Simpson

West Coast coach Adam Simpson says his club can't afford to lose against Sydney

Eagles' season on the line against Swans: Simpson (https://www.afl.com.au/news/460412/eagles-season-on-the-line-against-swans-simpson)

"That's a challenge for us this week, Sydney are a really good, tight-knit side that rely on the contest and they use the ball well. It's going to be a massive challenge for us this week to get up."

bloodspirit
4th July 2020, 06:22 AM
I saw a few Swans standing in Bronte pool yesterday, presumably for the benefits the cool water has for their muscles. Hayden McLean was wearing a puffy down jacket but only knee deep in the water. Reminded me of the time I saw Aliir there for an "icy" recovery swim and he lasted less than 60 seconds even though the water was about 18 degrees. Anyway I said g'day and wished them well for the game. I asked Lewis Melican why he hadn't been playing and he said he had been out of form. I asked him whether he felt daunted to be picked while he was out of form which got a laugh from the others (not my intention) and he clarified that he had had some recent good form since his earlier poorer form. So hopefully that bodes well.

bloodspirit
4th July 2020, 06:39 AM

I used to think that too but Horse proved me wrong. To provide a few examples: he played AJ from Round 3 in his first year (2011) and kept him in the team all year. He played Papley from first game, first season when he had been drafted as a rookie. Florent and Hayward played rounds 1 and 2 after being drafted respectively. He played McCartin as a KPP while he was an 18 year old. He blooded Hayden McLean to all our surprise last year. Even Stoddart got his debut in his first year. Conversely, other players have been made to serve time in the ressies before getting a run (Dawson, Hewett, T.Mitchell). I'm not sure exactly how Horse (and the match committee) decide, but I'd say it's a combination of when they think the player is ready and have earned a go, and the needs of the team. That is the message you typically get out of the players when you see them interviewed.

Auntie.Gerald
4th July 2020, 09:08 AM
form
fitness
game sense
etc

but matchups also make a significant difference for blooding a player in AFL

if you get a shot to debut and it is primarily against another emerging player or you have him for speed and or reach etc you may get a shot

beat your player and if all 22 do its hard to loose week in week out

Captain
4th July 2020, 11:31 AM
Not thrilled about the team selections.

COR and Melican make sense and offer a bit however we know what Gray and Clarke can do, not a lot.

Would have much preferred someone like Warner, Gould or Stephens be given a run.

Hayward should consider himself lucky. I did like how he looked playing now back, so if he is in the team he needs to play behind the ball.

caj23
4th July 2020, 02:15 PM
Selections seem a bit all over the place, not a fan of the weekly switching in and out of the same old players, when favoured underperformers don't get the same treatment. I think it's particularly important in this season that the players get some continuity into their game.

The criticisms of recruits Taylor and Gray after a couple of games each is well over the top, Taylor has been far from our worse, and I'd like Gray to have a few games to settle in.

The calls for upgrading all of the rookies is a little premature when we really have no idea how they are travelling at "scratch match" level

Injuries to the rucks is unfortunate, but the team balance is much better this week, we should have much more run than against the Dogs

Mel_C
4th July 2020, 02:44 PM
I saw a few Swans standing in Bronte pool yesterday, presumably for the benefits the cool water has for their muscles. Hayden McLean was wearing a puffy down jacket but only knee deep in the water. Reminded me of the time I saw Aliir there for an "icy" recovery swim and he lasted less than 60 seconds even though the water was about 18 degrees. Anyway I said g'day and wished them well for the game. I asked Lewis Melican why he hadn't been playing and he said he had been out of form. I asked him whether he felt daunted to be picked while he was out of form which got a laugh from the others (not my intention) and he clarified that he had had some recent good form since his earlier poorer form. So hopefully that bodes well.

You were allowed to get close enough to talk to them?? Don't let the AFL find out!

bloodspirit
4th July 2020, 03:35 PM
Those posters who bagged out Rowbottom after the Essendon loss should be hanging their heads. He's all class. Very promising young player. I love him.

TheBloods
6th July 2020, 04:19 PM
Those posters who bagged out Rowbottom after the Essendon loss should be hanging their heads. He's all class. Very promising young player. I love him.

Was anyone bagging him out? I don't recall. I stated he was a good young player but he would never be a superstar, and I stand by that. He will never dominate a game.

wolftone57
6th July 2020, 04:24 PM
Was anyone bagging him out? I don't recall. I stated he was a good young player but he would never be a superstar, and I stand by that. He will never dominate a game.Sorry to disagree but his in and under work can break games open. Just needs a few mates to get onboard. Has a lot of potential and I think he is only just getting started

TheBloods
6th July 2020, 04:40 PM
Sorry to disagree but his in and under work can break games open. Just needs a few mates to get onboard. Has a lot of potential and I think he is only just getting started

I would concur with all that,, but he has only had two games with 20+ possessions. Hardly dominant. Now look at what players of a similar age have done .. Walsh, Rowell, Smith, Taranto, Worpel, Hopper all in their first or second years had managed plenty like that. That is superstar material. Doing some nice things en route to a 15 possession game is not.

dimelb
6th July 2020, 04:42 PM
Sorry to disagree but his in and under work can break games open. Just needs a few mates to get onboard. Has a lot of potential and I think he is only just getting started

Them's my view too.

Markwebbos
6th July 2020, 04:59 PM
I'm jumping on the NOBt-train

wolftone57
6th July 2020, 07:19 PM
I would concur with all that,, but he has only had two games with 20+ possessions. Hardly dominant. Now look at what players of a similar age have done .. Walsh, Rowell, Smith, Taranto, Worpel, Hopper all in their first or second years had managed plenty like that. That is superstar material. Doing some nice things en route to a 15 possession game is not.All those you mention were top 10 draft picks. He was not. It will take him a little longer because he is less developed. All of those are also older than he is their draft years. They were top age not bottom age. All of them were far more physically developed for their roles. Walsh is not non and under player. He might play inside mid but he plays the inside receiver role more often than not.

Rowell is just a freak. Smith? Must have missed that one. Not Devon? Archie? Taranto and Worpol are both much bigger as in around 190 and again older in their first year.