PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat Round 10: the other games. Festival of the Boot (part 2).

dejavoodoo44
3rd August 2020, 10:41 AM
Thought I'd start this thread already, as the second round of the AFL's festival of footy actually starts tonight, with the Port v Bulldogs game. Until Friday, the round has a game each night. We play Collingwood at the Gabba on Thursday.

Tonight's game seems like a tipster's nightmare to me. Both side have looked excellent when winning and ordinary when losing. Could be a frenetic, highly entertaining and closely fought contest. Or it could be a 40 or 50 point win: to either side.

dejavoodoo44
3rd August 2020, 10:44 AM
Actually, now that I've checked, Wednesday and Thursday both have two matches.

neilfws
3rd August 2020, 10:57 AM
Tonight's game seems like a tipster's nightmare to me. Both side have looked excellent when winning and ordinary when losing. Could be a frenetic, highly entertaining and closely fought contest. Or it could be a 40 or 50 point win: to either side.

The modelers are going with Port, and may that indeed be the case :)

Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs @ Adelaide Oval (https://squiggle.com.au/game/?gid=5399)

Adelaide v Melbourne could be interesting. At Adelaide Oval, Melbourne woeful last round, could be a chance for Adelaide's first win. If not they truly are woeful.

dejavoodoo44
3rd August 2020, 11:49 AM

Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs @ Adelaide Oval (https://squiggle.com.au/game/?gid=5399)

Adelaide v Melbourne could be interesting. At Adelaide Oval, Melbourne woeful last round, could be a chance for Adelaide's first win. If not they truly are woeful.

Yes, and I notice that they're predicting Collingwood to beat us, with much the same degree of unanimity. Though I am curious how much the predictions are amended, once the teams are announced? I mean, if I was a dedicated stats person, I think I would be loathe to make a prediction, until I knew who was running out. As in, did the star player for Team A get over his hamstring niggle. Or was there a couple of unexpected outs for Team B. Or even, does the advantage swing away from the taller and heavier team A, now that rain is predicted.

3rd August 2020, 01:31 PM

Melbourne may be woeful but have you watched the Crows, would struggle in the SANFL right now. If the Dees lose to the Crows then Goodwin is gone, way too much talent to get beaten by the hapless Crows.

neilfws
3rd August 2020, 02:56 PM
Though I am curious how much the predictions are amended, once the teams are announced? I mean, if I was a dedicated stats person, I think I would be loathe to make a prediction, until I knew who was running out.

Good questions! I don't know the details of the models and which, if any, use individual player stats. One issue might be that the predictions need to be submitted well ahead of time, so perhaps don't use player data because late changes would invalidate the models.

I know there is some interest in that area though, for example this blog post (http://www.matterofstats.com/mafl-stats-journal/2018/10/7/a-first-attempt-at-combining-afl-team-and-player-data-in-a-predictive-model?rq=player%20data%20model).

KTigers
3rd August 2020, 02:59 PM
Melbourne may be woeful but have you watched the Crows, would struggle in the SANFL right now. If the Dees lose to the Crows then Goodwin is gone, way too much talent to get beaten by the hapless Crows.

"Woeful"? I believe Melbourne are two spots higher (with a game in hand) than us on the ladder right now...
I know he is a South Australian but you have to wonder if Matthew Nicks is wishing he never left the assistant gig
at GWS right now.

dejavoodoo44
3rd August 2020, 08:44 PM
Enjoyable first quarter in the Port v Bulldogs game. Some good skills and hard contests. Had to feel for Port first gamer Boyd Woodcock, though. First shot for goal, first goal celebration, only to be denied by the AFL equivalent of snicko.

Nico
3rd August 2020, 11:04 PM
Did anyone see the 20 metre throw by Libba? Got pinged for one right in front of the ump a few minutes earlier, but how that got missed has me puzzled.

dejavoodoo44
3rd August 2020, 11:10 PM
Did anyone see the 20 metre throw by Libba? Got pinged for one right in front of the ump a few minutes earlier, but how that got missed has me puzzled.
Yes, of all the blatant chuckers in the Bulldogs, he's become the most blatant. And when they do get pinged, they have the nerve to loudly remonstrate with the umpires.

KTigers
4th August 2020, 06:34 AM
Yes, of all the blatant chuckers in the Bulldogs, he's become the most blatant. And when they do get pinged, they have the nerve to loudly remonstrate with the umpires.

Well, Libba Jnr is really disappointed with the inconsistency of the umpiring, because let's face it they won a flag for throwing.
Also, he doesn't like to be singled out for ridicule. The Bulldogs are all about inclusion. They all throw together, as one. In fact
at training the traditional hand pass has been banned since the 2016 pre season and it's been edited out of all footage they use.
They are in the process of expunging all images of the hand pass from the clubs historical records and photos, even going so
far as burning very valuable footy cards of the great EJ hand passing. They are hand pass deniers.

Mark26
4th August 2020, 08:02 AM
Well, Libba Jnr is really disappointed with the inconsistency of the umpiring, because let's face it they won a flag for throwing.
Also, he doesn't like to be singled out for ridicule. The Bulldogs are all about inclusion. They all throw together, as one. In fact
at training the traditional hand pass has been banned since the 2016 pre season and it's been edited out of all footage they use.
They are in the process of expunging all images of the hand pass from the clubs historical records and photos, even going so
far as burning very valuable footy cards of the great EJ hand passing. They are hand pass deniers.

Haha.

And now the Pigs have distilled an easy-to-remember slogan created by the Dogs of the kennel, "4 throws good, handballs bad".

Blood Fever
4th August 2020, 01:37 PM
Notice Caroline Wilson has sprung to the defence of Eddie McGuire concerning the Covid breach involving Nathan Buckley. If it was any other president of a club that was and is continually in the news about player and other indiscretions, then she and the rest of the Melbourne footy media would be howling for he/she to be sacked. Same goes for the embarrassing number of conflicts of interests Mcguire is involved in. When it comes to the crunch, she is still a member of the buddy club that ensures he is a protected species. Farcical and infuriating.

barry
4th August 2020, 02:41 PM
Notice Caroline Wilson has sprung to the defence of Eddie McGuire concerning the Covid breach involving Nathan Buckley. If it was any other president of a club that was and is continually in the news about player and other indiscretions, then she and the rest of the Melbourne footy media would be howling for he/she to be sacked. Same goes for the embarrassing number of conflicts of interests Mcguire is involved in. When it comes to the crunch, she is still a member of the buddy club that ensures he is a protected species. Farcical and infuriating.

I actually think mcGuire is right on this. Buckley should be suspended and sent home. Its no accident. You suddenly dont start a game of tennis with randoms if you are in a hub.
Its the spineless AFL which slapped him with a wet lettuce.

This pandemic has really exposed Gill and the administation as a fraud. Dont get me started on firing of the journo!

snajik
4th August 2020, 05:51 PM
Wearing my best neutral hat, tonight's match definitely looking like match of the round.

KTigers
4th August 2020, 06:49 PM
I actually think mcGuire is right on this. Buckley should be suspended and sent home. Its no accident. You suddenly dont start a game of tennis with randoms if you are in a hub.
Its the spineless AFL which slapped him with a wet lettuce.

This pandemic has really exposed Gill and the administation as a fraud. Dont get me started on firing of the journo!

What did King Kong McGuire actually say about Buckley? Anything?

Re Buckley.... did he seriously think it was OK to play tennis with people outside the hub? Is he that stupid? It's possible he is
of course. Or did he just think, @@@@ it, I'm famous I can do whatever I want?

MattW
4th August 2020, 08:34 PM
Cheap and dirty from Lynch. I didn't realise he was that type of player.

Melbourne_Blood
4th August 2020, 08:54 PM
Cheap and dirty from Lynch. I didn't realise he was that type of player.

Yeah that was pissweak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbourne_Blood
4th August 2020, 08:56 PM
Classic Dimma, flooding the corridor, not letting the Lions play their favoured game style. He’s Ruining the spectacle of the game !

Markwebbos
4th August 2020, 08:59 PM
Classic Dimma, flooding the corridor, not letting the Lions play their favoured game style. He’s Ruining the spectacle of the game !

75000 in the corridor

Melbourne_Blood
4th August 2020, 09:05 PM
75000 in the corridor

Haha!

Blood Fever
4th August 2020, 09:10 PM
Getting sick of Nick Riewoldt as a commentator. Knows everything and never shuts up.

Nico
4th August 2020, 09:32 PM

Works for the same TV station.

Nico
4th August 2020, 09:40 PM
Brisbane look a year off a premiership.

Nico
4th August 2020, 09:46 PM
Riewolt is so critical Bellengen was out of the contest/ball kicked over his head.

Blood Fever
4th August 2020, 09:57 PM
Riewolt is so critical Bellengen was out of the contest/ball kicked over his head.

Arrogant know all

dejavoodoo44
4th August 2020, 09:59 PM
Lions fans must be headbutting the walls: 3-15 at three quarter time.

dejavoodoo44
4th August 2020, 10:08 PM

I know. Footy fans want to see goals kicked, not behinds. Especially in these troubled times. Damien, you're letting Australia down.

Melbourne_Blood
4th August 2020, 10:08 PM
Lions fans must be headbutting the walls: 3-15 at three quarter time.

At least half of those extremely gettable to. Should be 10-8 or better

Nico
4th August 2020, 10:16 PM
At least Ricmond are getting penalised for holding up the play.

Richmonds kicking is sublime.

Blood Fever
4th August 2020, 10:32 PM

2020 GF Richmond v West Coast

KTigers
5th August 2020, 09:00 AM

I can't stand them, but must admit when they are on they are pretty good. Their skill level is off the charts sometimes, and
their defence really disciplined. It's a pity we can't go back to the old days when they came ninth every year.

barry
5th August 2020, 11:20 AM
Richmond are amazing. A few years ago Hardwick was going to be sacked. Couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag.
Then the list matured, and they had a good list, and did well. Hardwick survives, but is it the list or him?
Now they have lots of injuries and still winning. Must be coach and tactices, not list.

If I didnt know better, I would say, in around 2014, Hardwick sold his soul to the devil in exchange for the keys to the vault which holds the game plan to beat all game plans.

Markwebbos
5th August 2020, 12:58 PM
Richmond are amazing. A few years ago Hardwick was going to be sacked. Couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag.
Then the list matured, and they had a good list, and did well. Hardwick survives, but is it the list or him?
Now they have lots of injuries and still winning. Must be coach and tactices, not list.

If I didnt know better, I would say, in around 2014, Hardwick sold his soul to the devil in exchange for the keys to the vault which holds the game plan to beat all game plans.

They had a review, kept Hardwick but made wholesale changes around him and completely changed the game plan. It wasn’t Hardwick’s, might have come from Caracella.

dejavoodoo44
5th August 2020, 01:32 PM
They had a review, kept Hardwick but made wholesale changes around him and completely changed the game plan. It wasn’t Hardwick’s, might have come from Caracella.

And further to that, I think they found that Hardwick was being to much of a control freak, so it was decided to broaden the power structure. This gave the players and other staff members more of a say. Much the same thing happened at an underperforming Geelong, before they went on a premiership run. That is, less control to the coach at the time, Mark Thompson, and more open communication and democracy. In both cases, it's more or less what Roosy did on his own initiative, when he took over from Eade.

dejavoodoo44
5th August 2020, 01:35 PM
And further to that, I think they found that Hardwick was being to much of a control freak, so it was decided to broaden the power structure. This gave the players and other staff members more of a say. Much the same thing happened at an underperforming Geelong, before they went on a premiership run. That is, less control to the coach at the time, Mark Thompson, and more open communication and democracy. In both cases, it's more or less what Roosy did on his own initiative, when he took over from Eade.

Too much of a control freak, not "to much".

Ludwig
5th August 2020, 02:07 PM

Why is the reason not what you say in the first part of your sentence, that they had a good young list that matured. Cotchin, Martin, Rance and Riewoldt makes a pretty good core of players. They also made a few good recruiting moves that got players like Grieg and Houli, that weren't considered top tier players at the time. That's a typical story of how a team becomes successful. The good coaching and tactics part goes with recognising what your list can do and adjust the playing style to suit the list. They didn't have a good ruckman or much height, in general, so got the ball moving quickly forward at ground level, rather than high and long.

So a team can go from a laughing stock to great in a short time, when finally, a group of players that were hopefuls turn into genuine stars. I hope we are following the same path, but only the passage of time will tell if it all works out.

The Richmond story shows that success can take a long time. Those key players were well into their mid twenties before things really stated clicking.

barry
5th August 2020, 02:27 PM
Why is the reason not what you say in the first part of your sentence, that they had a good young list that matured. Cotchin, Martin, Rance and Riewoldt makes a pretty good core of players. They also made a few good recruiting moves that got players like Grieg and Houli, that weren't considered top tier players at the time. That's a typical story of how a team becomes successful. The good coaching and tactics part goes with recognising what your list can do and adjust the playing style to suit the list. They didn't have a good ruckman or much height, in general, so got the ball moving quickly forward at ground level, rather than high and long.

So a team can go from a laughing stock to great in a short time, when finally, a group of players that were hopefuls turn into genuine stars. I hope we are following the same path, but only the passage of time will tell if it all works out.

The Richmond story shows that success can take a long time. Those key players were well into their mid twenties before things really stated clicking.

Yeah, nah. I prefer the soul selling narative. It went a bit like this...

The devil went down to Punt Road.
He was lookin' for a soul to steal
He was in a bind
'Cause he was way behind
And he was willin' to make a deal

When he came across this young man
Sawin' on a magnetic board and playin' it hot
And the devil jumped up on a hickory stump
And said, "boy, let me tell you what"

"I guess you didn't know it
But I'm a level 3 AFL accredited coach too
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you
Now you coach a pretty good team, boy
But give the devil his due
I'll bet an AFL dynasty
Against your soul
'Cause I think I'm better than you."

The boy said, "my name's Damo
And it might be a sin
But I'll take your bet, you're gonna regret
'Cause I'm about to get the sack soon"

Damo, rosin up your board and shuffle your players hard
'Cause Hell's broke loose in tiger land, and the devil deals the cards
And if you win, you get this shiny team made of gold
But if you lose, the devil gets your soul

The devil opened up his duffle bag
And he said, "I'll start this show."
And fire flew from his fingertips
As he rosined up the list
And he pulled the pen across the paper
And it made an evil hiss
Then a band of demons joined in
And it sounded something like this

"lots of scratching noises"

When the devil finished
Damo said, "well, you're pretty good, ol' son
But sit down in that chair right there
And let me show you how it's done."

"Fire on the Mountain" run boys, run
The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun
Chicken in a bread pan pickin' out dough
Granny, does your dog bite? No, child, no

Damo bowed his head
Because he knew that he'd been beat
And he laid out his soul
On the ground at the Devils feet
The Devil said, "Damo, just come on back
If you ever wanna try again
I done told you once you son of a bitch
I've got the best match day tactics that's ever been."

He played "Fire on the Mountain" run boys, run
The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun
The chicken in a bread pan pickin' out dough
Granny, will be yours son, now off you go

Meg
5th August 2020, 03:14 PM
Lol Barry.

RIP Charlie Daniels. And check out the keyboard player - must be Dane Rampe!

The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia - YouTube (https://youtu.be/wBjPAqmnvGA)

barry
5th August 2020, 04:21 PM
Lol Barry.

The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia - YouTube (https://youtu.be/wBjPAqmnvGA)

A devil is in the detail of the last few lines.

He played "Fire on the Mountain" run boys, run -- Run and apply manic pressure
The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun -- Get a heap of good players from the Gold Coast Suns
The chicken in a bread pan pickin' out dough -- Forget about the salary cap.
Granny, will be yours son, now off you go -- Even though Ive won your soul, I'll give you a couple of cheapy grand finals against non-vic teams at your home ground, now get out of my sight!

5th August 2020, 04:23 PM
Lol Barry.

Wrong hand!

Nice work Barry

Ludwig
5th August 2020, 04:46 PM
Very clever Barry.

Good to see someone with more time on his hands than me.

stevoswan
5th August 2020, 04:59 PM
A devil is in the detail of the last few lines.

He played "Fire on the Mountain" run boys, run -- Run and apply manic pressure
The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun -- Get a heap of good players from the Gold Coast Suns
The chicken in a bread pan pickin' out dough -- Forget about the salary cap.
Granny, will be yours son, now off you go -- Even though Ive won your soul, I'll give you a couple of cheapy grand finals against non-vic teams at your home ground, now get out of my sight!

I'll pay that.👍

Markwebbos
5th August 2020, 06:42 PM

Except that’s not how it happened. Tigers underperformed for years and made major changes to assistant coaches, list, game plan at the end of 2016. Without those changes they’d not be a dual premiership side.

It wasn’t evolution it was revolution.

Meg
5th August 2020, 09:23 PM
Wrong hand!

Nice work Barry

Ah, but that’s the cunning ploy by Dane The Keyboard Player to trick the opposition into targeting the uninjured hand - bandage the healthy hand in a sling.

Nico
5th August 2020, 09:27 PM
They have to throw the book at that Melbourne player who did the double sling tackle.

bloodspirit
5th August 2020, 09:28 PM
barry on 🔥
I'm loving the new barry!

Meg
5th August 2020, 09:52 PM
Melbourne just lost the opportunity to kick for a goal 20m out straight in front after the siren due to another Melbourne player shoving a Crows player in the back on to the ground. The umpire cancelled Melbourne’s free kick, first quarter over.

Shows how lucky we were not to lose the second Papley goal couple of weeks ago when Sinclair knocked over a Hawthorn player. I suspect umps have been told to tighten up on this sort of gratuitous and unnecessary aggression.

Hope all Swans players take note - Sinclair I’m looking at you in particular.

KTigers
5th August 2020, 10:03 PM
Melbourne just lost the opportunity to kick for a goal 20m out straight in front after the siren due to another Melbourne player shoving a Crows player in the back on to the ground. The umpire cancelled Melbourne’s free kick, first quarter over.

Shows how lucky we were not to lose the second Papley goal couple of weeks ago when Sinclair knocked over a Hawthorn player. I suspect umps have been told to tighten up on this sort of gratuitous and unnecessary aggression.

Hope all Swans players take note - Sinclair I’m looking at you in particular.

Yep, tough guy Melbourne player shoving the Adelaide guy as he lay on the ground, and costs his team a certain goal.
What a moron.

Nico
5th August 2020, 10:48 PM
Never seen so many high tackles.

Thunder Shaker
5th August 2020, 11:36 PM
With Adelaide's loss to the Dees, it is now 12 months since Adelaide last won a game.

Adelaide's last win: Round 20, 2019. Adelaide 14.8 (92) St Kilda 10.10 (70) 3/8/2019.

Nico
6th August 2020, 09:10 PM
Stewie Dew has lost a lot of puddin'.

stevoswan
6th August 2020, 10:19 PM

Again the AFL read the Vic press (Nick Reiwolts whining article on this matter) and tinker.....if it's not Clarkson they're being influenced by, it's Vic-centric journo's.
Having said that, I do agree with any crackdown on this behaviour.😁

stevoswan
6th August 2020, 10:24 PM
The GC v Saints game is nicely poised at half time with GC up by 3 pts. Quality game so far.

jono2707
6th August 2020, 10:33 PM
Again the AFL read the Vic press (Nick Reiwolts whining article on this matter) and tinker.....if it's not Clarkson they're being influenced by, it's Vic-centric journo's.

Some sort of 'unsportsmanlike conduct' infraction is probably on its way for next year. Will hopefully rub the silliness out of the game.

stevoswan
6th August 2020, 11:29 PM
GC v Saints is a cracker....4 pts in it, Saints up, minutes left....and Rankine is the new Acker. GOTY contender just then.

stevoswan
6th August 2020, 11:45 PM
One thing that is really ticking me off is watching other games and thinking "this seems to be being umpired quite well" with the occasional mistake which is to be expected....then seeing an even count on the stats (tonights game StK 18 GC 19).....them comparing that with what we witnessed tonight in our game.
23-11 and countless non paid frees.
I realise many have said on the match thread that Collingwood did outplay us tonight but if the frees were actually paid as they should be, maybe it wouldn't look that way.
We also have an amazing strike rate of getting umpires that history suggests don't like us.
It's infuriating.....

neilfws
7th August 2020, 09:31 AM
GC v Saints is a cracker....4 pts in it, Saints up, minutes left....and Rankine is the new Acker. GOTY contender just then.

I really enjoyed the Suns/Saints game. Great skills from both sides, fast. Suns look like they enjoy their footy, lots of mutual respect at the end, good to see. Butler's 4 goals all very different, some talent there.

KTigers
7th August 2020, 10:13 AM

I think Reiwoldt's article is just the culmination of what a lot people think is just a really poor and unnecessary part of the game. Paul Roos
spoke about it yesterday, saying it has crept in the game over the last five or ten years. I agree with him. I just think it's pathetic. It's
a form of sledging. Which reminds me of a comment from an ex-Australian cricketer from the 70s & 80s (I forget who it was) talking about
sledging who was asked "What did you say to Viv Richards?". He replied, "Nothing, we didn't want to wake up the bear".

dejavoodoo44
7th August 2020, 11:12 AM
I think Reiwoldt's article is just the culmination of what a lot people think is just a really poor and unnecessary part of the game. Paul Roos
spoke about it yesterday, saying it has crept in the game over the last five or ten years. I agree with him. I just think it's pathetic. It's
a form of sledging. Which reminds me of a comment from an ex-Australian cricketer from the 70s & 80s (I forget who it was) talking about
sledging who was asked "What did you say to Viv Richards?". He replied, "Nothing, we didn't want to wake up the bear".
Which reminds me of this famous incident:

'After playing and missing at successive deliveries, Glamorgan paceman Greg Thomas made the brave decision to give Viv some verbals as to the appearance of the ball.

"It’s red, round and weighs about five ounces, in case you were wondering."

Of course, the next ball was launched out of the ground by the West Indian legend accompanied with the following words:

"Greg, you know what it looks like. Now go and find it." '

Nico
7th August 2020, 09:10 PM
A GWS player took a Papley "dive" early in tonights game. I wonder if he will be fined.

Melbourne_Blood
7th August 2020, 09:19 PM
A GWS player took a Papley "dive" early in tonights game. I wonder if he will be fined.

It was @@@@house from paps, I don’t like it. But Tom Lynch got the same fine for pushing a players face into the ground ? Plus I hope they crack down on all staging now, not just ones that Lord Clarkson Vader points out to the Empire .

Nico
7th August 2020, 11:12 PM
Did anyone see the stage by Ward. Made Tommy's look tame.

dejavoodoo44
7th August 2020, 11:18 PM
Yes, I just tuned in for the last couple of minutes of that game. If Papley's was worth $500, then that should be at least a grand. From seemingly minimal contact, he managed to helicopter his body through the air, almost 360 degrees, with a mid-flight twist for good measure.

Blood Fever
7th August 2020, 11:20 PM

Agree. Worse than Papley. Academy Award. Must be fined. But will they weaken as usual?

Hotpotato
7th August 2020, 11:21 PM
Yep, Ward milked that one until the whistle went .
Nevertheless, I like watching GWS .

Ludwig
7th August 2020, 11:21 PM
Callan Ward's winning goal is a great advertisement for staging ---- if you can kick the goal. If a missed goal staging is worth $500 then what's the price of game winning stage?

Nico
7th August 2020, 11:24 PM
Callan Ward's winning goal is a great advertisement for staging ---- if you can kick the goal. If a missed goal staging is worth $500 then what's the price of game winning stage?

It looked to me that it was shoulder contact. The flogs on Fox say it wasn't as bad as Papley.

Ludwig
7th August 2020, 11:30 PM
Most people don't know that while Ward was recuperating from his ACL injury he used to time to graduate from the Alex Rance School of Flopping ---- with honours, mind you. He's got a future after footy.

Hotpotato
8th August 2020, 12:16 AM
Heath Shaw interviewing Callan Ward about the controversy erupting over his staging .
I’ve never seen that before .

KTigers
8th August 2020, 08:48 AM
A couple good games later today. Port v Richmond, Brisbane v Dogs. Also I have to wonder how the turf at the Gabba and Metricon
is holding up. As much as I'd like the see the Grand Final in Sydney, I think the Queenslanders deserve it. Man, they have saved the
comp so far. Hosting so many games and putting up (and putting up with) the players, team officials and their families. I promise
not to make any Queensland jokes anymore. Well, for a while anyway.

stevoswan
8th August 2020, 01:02 PM
Yes, as magnificent and GF worthy as Perth Stadium is, I think Queensland has earned the right to host the Grand Final. They have saved the season....and IMO the Gabba is still a great stadium.

stevoswan
8th August 2020, 01:33 PM
Most people don't know that while Ward was recuperating from his ACL injury he used to time to graduate from the Alex Rance School of Flopping ---- with honours, mind you. He's got a future after footy.

As usual, Titus sets the record straight.
AFL Mad Scramble: Day Eleven - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself (https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/afl-mad-scramble-day-eleven)
"Just when we thought that Tom Papley had the best actor oscar sewn up, along comes Callum Ward, with a performance so over the top it had Al Pacino's later work look positively restrained.
"After a light glance, Ward went down so hard, that if he was being shot by a sniper in a movie, the director would have told him to tone it down a bit."

Will be interesting to see how much Ward gets fined.....if at all.

The Big Cat
8th August 2020, 01:38 PM
As usual, Titus sets the record straight.
AFL Mad Scramble: Day Eleven - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself (https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/afl-mad-scramble-day-eleven)
"Just when we thought that Tom Papley had the best actor oscar sewn up, along comes Callum Ward, with a performance so over the top it had Al Pacino's later work look positively restrained.
"After a light glance, Ward went down so hard, that if he was being shot by a sniper in a movie, the director would have told him to tone it down a bit."

Will be interesting to see how much Ward gets fined.....if at all.

Especially when the free kick won the game.

Sandridge
8th August 2020, 02:15 PM
Ward is saying he's received death threats on social media following the free kick/goal. :frown

Ludwig
8th August 2020, 02:25 PM
Ward is saying he's received death threats on social media following the free kick/goal. :frownFrom Tom Papley?

For stealing his Academy Award?

snajik
8th August 2020, 02:26 PM
Social media - a sanctuary for real tough guys with an abundance of perspective.

KTigers
8th August 2020, 02:50 PM
Ward is saying he's received death threats on social media following the free kick/goal. :frown

Death threats? Jesus, what is wrong with these people? It's a bloody football game!

stevoswan
8th August 2020, 03:09 PM
Death threats? Jesus, what is wrong with these people? It's a bloody football game!

I understand a certain level of anger from Bomber fans but reactions like that are frankly unhinged....but in this Covid era we've seen a lot of that lately haven't we?
Footy obviously has its Chads and Karens.....

barry
8th August 2020, 11:45 PM
I don't think there is any doubt ward got contact to the head...

https://images.app.goo.gl/tvxVC9Qws6ScPijt7

- - - Updated - - -

Callan Ward targeted by social media trolls after controversial free kick (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/08/callan-ward-targeted-by-social-media-trolls-after-controversial-free-kick/)

Melbourne_Blood
9th August 2020, 12:37 AM
I don't think there is any doubt ward got contact to the head...

https://images.app.goo.gl/tvxVC9Qws6ScPijt7

- - - Updated - - -

Callan Ward targeted by social media trolls after controversial free kick (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/08/callan-ward-targeted-by-social-media-trolls-after-controversial-free-kick/)

Nor am I. It’s more the 360’ double twist pike he pulled afterward that’s the issue.

Same as paps, he definitely had some hands in his back. Not enough to shove him 2 meters forward through the air though.

KTigers
9th August 2020, 07:47 AM
I really like Ward, and was surprised he exaggerated the contact the way he did. Seems out of character for him, but I guess he's
played footy for a long time and is basically a wily old pro these days.

barry
9th August 2020, 09:03 AM
Ward got hit in the head, got a deserved free kick. That should have been the end of it.
Three things went wrong:
- he exaggerated the pain. Didn't need to.
- the commentators focused on it, and never said the free was there regardless.
- he admitted playing it up afterwards.

These actions invite death that's against your family now days.

KTigers
9th August 2020, 09:32 AM
Yep, social media. What an incredible advance for society that has been. We really get to see the best of humanity.

snajik
9th August 2020, 09:39 AM
Nor am I. It’s more the 360’ double twist pike he pulled afterward that’s the issue.

Same as paps, he definitely had some hands in his back. Not enough to shove him 2 meters forward through the air though.

Yep, both free kicks were definitely there. Perhaps Papley's thinking was along the lines of 'My word, Eleni sure has missed a lot of frees for us today. Better make sure she sees this one.'

stellation
9th August 2020, 12:29 PM
Cal copped a fair whack, it was definitely a free kick.
https://i.imgur.com/kMVFJVx.jpg

Clubs need to apply the same rigour to poor behaviour on social media as they do to poor behaviour at a ground. The treatment of Tayla Harris should have already lead to relevant policies being in place at AFL HQ that were pushed out to all clubs.

Ocker
9th August 2020, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=stellation;799225]Cal copped a fair whack, it was definitely a free kick.

Both Papley and Ward were free kicks for me.

Papley also copped a $500 fine but nothing for Ward. Assume the thought process was that Papley had already had a warning about this behaviour from Clarkson, Ward had not been cautioned before his performance.

stevoswan
9th August 2020, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=stellation;799225]Cal copped a fair whack, it was definitely a free kick.

Papley also copped a $500 fine but nothing for Ward. Assume the thought process was that Papley had already had a warning about this behaviour from Clarkson, Ward had not been cautioned before his performance.

.....and as far as we know, Tom received no death threats and that was probably only because we lost. So, the AFL didn't want to add to poor Cal's misery after the supposed death threats? Weak IMO....

royboy42
9th August 2020, 05:24 PM
Watching WCE/Car reminds me I had the privilege of seeing Polly Farmer play live a few times.

Nick Natanui is the best ruckman I have ever seen.

The only near equal is the great Farmer.

Nichols, Madden, Schultz, even crazy Sam Newman...plenty terrific players, including some of the last 5 or 10 years, but my opinion.

stevoswan
9th August 2020, 05:53 PM
Nik Nat's tap work is sublime.....I agree, he is definitely up there with Polly in that regard.👍

Mel_C
9th August 2020, 08:33 PM
Yep, both free kicks were definitely there. Perhaps Papley's thinking was along the lines of 'My word, Eleni sure has missed a lot of frees for us today. Better make sure she sees this one.'
I was thinking the exact same thing. We weren't receiving many frees so when he felt the push he exaggerated the impact.

But the thing is there was no staging in the incident in the Hawthorn game. Clarkson was wrong and it's frustrating that his comments have led to Papley being fined.

barry
9th August 2020, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=Ocker;799233]

.....and as far as we know, Tom received no death threats and that was probably only because we lost. So, the AFL didn't want to add to poor Cal's misery after the supposed death threats? Weak IMO....

Supposed? . Really?

aardvark
10th August 2020, 12:41 AM
Nik Nat's tap work is sublime.....I agree, he is definitely up there with Polly in that regard.👍

When fit he is just completely dominant. He is fun to watch.