PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat Round 5: the other games. Form, it's a mysterious thing.

dejavoodoo44
15th April 2021, 06:00 PM
To me, we're entering round 5 and just who the genuine contenders are, is not much clearer than at the start of the season. Some teams that were touted as almost certain finalists, are either mediocre, or may be just slowly arousing after a short offseason. There's only been a few consistent things: the unbeaten teams are probably a bit better than people thought they were; Gold Coast still have an incredible ability to attract injuries, and North have been relentlessly terrible.

Tonight's game is a case in point. Who are the real St Kilda? Are they closer to the team that was thrashed by Essendon and were being soundly beaten by West Coast? Or will they be more like the team, that achieved an incredible comeback against West Coast? Similar for Richmond. Is the crown starting to slip, or are they just having the slow start, that's often typical of teams that go deep into the finals?

Friday night's game is West Coast hosting Collingwood. Collingwood have snuck in a couple of upset wins against West Coast in recent seasons, but the Eagles are strongly favoured to win this one and increase the pressure on Nathan Buckley. Who I almost feel sorry for. Make the long flight over to Perth, and then make a flight back that seems even longer, as he contemplates what crap the Melbourne media will throw at him on arrival.

The first game on Saturday, is the AFLW grand final between Adelaide and Brisbane. Both teams seem worthy contenders, as they've both had solid form throughout the season, and both have seemed to be gathering momentum, as the Grand Final approached. And both have played in two previous grand finals. Although obviously, Adelaide's two wins are better than Brisbane's two losses. Which I guess is why I'll be barracking for the Lions. I really hope that it's not because I'm slowly becoming a Queenslander. But to win, Brisbane have to overcome the sizeable obstacle of Erin Phillips, who already has two grand final BOGs. Though I have a feeling that Brisbane's dangerous forward trio of Davidson, Wardlaw and Hodder, will have big enough games to get them home.

After this, there's two twilight games; at the SCG, we're clear favourites to put the Giants into more early season difficulty, and at Marvel, the Bulldogs are heavy favourites to beat the injury ridden Suns. Personally, I find Gold Coast's continued injury troubles bizarre. Since their inception, they seem to have been endlessly crippled by injuries. And I doubt if that's been due to mismanagement. I mean, I think all clubs would hire highly competent physio and medical staff, who have all effectively absorbed the medical knowledge, that's been taught at Australian universities and which, probably doesn't vary much from university to university. And while Gold Coast might have less soft cap cash to spend on facilities, I doubt that would translate into ten year's worth of devastation? And the Metricon surface usually appears to be in good condition, so that is unlikely to be the culprit. So, maybe it's just year's of relentless bad luck?

In the night games, the odds of the Port v Carlton are closer than I expected, while the loser of the Brisbane v Essendon will slip to 1/4 and will be a worry to their fans.

The first game on Sunday is Adelaide v Fremantle. Fremantle are already establishing a pattern of being good in Perth and not so good away from Perth. Unfortunately for them, this game's in Adelaide.

The next game is Hawthorn v Melbourne. Ladder wise, we should be going for Hawthorn. But I suspect that I won't be the only one, who can't bring themselves to do that.

The final game of the round is Geelong v North. Despite some unconvincing form, Geelong are very short odds to send North to 0/5. While there has been plenty of upsets and mystifying form swings this season, I really can't see an upset here. What I can see, is about 80% of North's more diehard fans, using social media to vitriolically pay out on North's management. The other 20% will be going over NAB League scores and draft predictions, in order to work who they should get with their number one draft pick. Unfortunately for them, the way the club's management have been going, they'll probably trade it away, as part of a cunning plan to get Ben Brown back to the club.

Mel_C
15th April 2021, 08:39 PM
How does Luke Darcy get a job as a commentator? Surely channel 7 can find someone better. Same with Jobe Watson. I wonder if he'll make up another word tonight?

barry
15th April 2021, 09:23 PM
And Joel Selwood?. WTF.

longmile
15th April 2021, 10:12 PM
And Joel Selwood?. WTF.

Wowee. He's a shocker ... hope it's not all the head knocks cause he can barely string a sentence together.

Doctor J.
15th April 2021, 10:18 PM
How does Luke Darcy get a job as a commentator? Surely channel 7 can find someone better. Same with Jobe Watson. I wonder if he'll make up another word tonight?

Interpretate! WTF and then he doubled down with Interpretating! He's supposed to be one of the more intelligent amongst the world of ex footballers, turning their hand to commentating.

I can't deal with such dumbness!!

dejavoodoo44
15th April 2021, 10:19 PM
Wowee. He's a shocker ... hope it's not all the head knocks cause he can barely string a sentence together.
Maybe it's some kind of new AFL deal? If you have to miss a week because of the concussion rule, you get to be a Channel 7 commentator.

rb4x
15th April 2021, 10:40 PM
Tigers 11 goals up on the Saints in Q4. Anybody going to back the Saints on producing a comeback like last week. Not me.

Sandridge
15th April 2021, 10:49 PM
Tigers 11 goals upon the Saints in Q4. Anybody going to back the Saints on producing a comeback like last week. Not me.

Nope! Back to earth with a very big thud for the Saints! They haven't shown much fight, either.

longmile
15th April 2021, 10:57 PM
Nope! Back to earth with a very big thud for the Saints! They haven't shown much fight, either.

Saints will be cellar dwellers in a few years when all there veterans and mercenaries retire

liz
15th April 2021, 11:13 PM
That was a snorefest. And sadly an indication that the Tigers haven't suddenly become crap.

Saints will be cellar dwellers in a few years when all there veterans and mercenaries retire

I was struck watching tonight's game how many of St Kilda's team - their core players - are imports from other clubs. Steele, Crouch, Hill, Higgins, Butler, Membrey, Carlisle, Howard who all played tonight, plus Jones, Hannebery, and Ryder who would all be automatic selections if fit, and McKernan, Frawley and Wood who aren't in their best team but are likely amongst the best of their depth.

Doesn't say much for their drafting nous over the last decade or so. I am struggling to think of many players who were drafted by St Kilda and are now at other clubs, doing well. Acres is one - solid rather than spectacular. Lynch at Adelaide has been an excellent player but its a long, long time since he was drafted by (and left) the Saints. Jamie Cripps at West Coast, also a long time departee. I am sure there are some others but they aren't springing to mind.

dejavoodoo44
15th April 2021, 11:28 PM
That was a snorefest. And sadly an indication that the Tigers haven't suddenly become crap.

I was struck watching tonight's game how many of St Kilda's team - their core players - are imports from other clubs. Steele, Crouch, Hill, Higgins, Butler, Membrey, Carlisle, Howard who all played tonight, plus Jones, Hannebery, and Ryder who would all be automatic selections if fit, and McKernan, Frawley and Wood who aren't in their best team but are likely amongst the best of their depth.

Doesn't say much for their drafting nous over the last decade or so. I am struggling to think of many players who were drafted by St Kilda and are now at other clubs, doing well. Acres is one - solid rather than spectacular. Lynch at Adelaide has been an excellent player but its a long, long time since he was drafted by (and left) the Saints. Jamie Cripps at West Coast, also a long time departee. I am sure there are some others but they aren't springing to mind.
Only listened to a brief bit of the game, but it's probably a good indication that St Kilda's position in the eight is up for grabs.

And with the aid of an AFL Record, Nick Hind was really good for Essendon the other night, but for others, you have to go back further than Cripps, namely Stanley and McEvoy.

Markwebbos
15th April 2021, 11:34 PM
Interpretate! WTF and then he doubled down with Interpretating! He's supposed to be one of the more intelligent amongst the world of ex footballers, turning their hand to commentating.

#interpret-gate ?

Interpretate definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary (https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/interpretate)

KTigers
16th April 2021, 04:34 AM

The thing is Jobe is one of the brighter ex players. It's just the way it is. Best not to expect too much from them, because you won't
get it. And what a boring game, I turned it off at half time.

KTigers
16th April 2021, 08:56 AM

If ever there was a case for someone letting their football do the talking, it's poor old Joel. I've always been worried about him and
early onset dementia, but it might already be a bit late. Or perhaps he's just been mentored by Luke Darcy.

RogueSwan
16th April 2021, 09:01 AM
#interpret-gate ?

Interpretate definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary (https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/interpretate)

Up there with "instinctual"

16th April 2021, 09:31 AM

Doesn't say much for their drafting nous over the last decade or so......................

Read that Carlton are trying to lure Adam Cerra away from Freo. Reading your post about the Saints being a foreign legion of players, without looking at their list, I reckon Carlton is very similar, using cheque book recruiting.

bloodspirit
16th April 2021, 11:53 AM
#interpret-gate ?

Nice one, MW! Love it.

Nico
16th April 2021, 01:34 PM
Heard a St Kilda caller on SEN today scathing of the trading of Hanners and Jones to St Kilda.

liz
16th April 2021, 01:38 PM
Heard a St Kilda caller on SEN today scathing of the trading of Hanners and Jones to St Kilda.

The trading to, or the trading in? Presumably the latter. The trading out is looking like a decent piece of business (albeit slightly sad in the case of Hanners, purely from a sentimental perspective, given he was a warrior for us for several seasons).

O'Reilly Boy
16th April 2021, 02:13 PM
The trading to, or the trading in? Presumably the latter. The trading out is looking like a decent piece of business (albeit slightly sad in the case of Hanners, purely from a sentimental perspective, given he was a warrior for us for several seasons).

Agreed. Very similar to the trading out of Malceski to GC. Devastating on an emotional level; brilliant list management otherwise.

KTigers
16th April 2021, 02:15 PM
Obviously St Kilda trading in Hannebery was a big risk for them considering his body was very much broken at the time. It's not like they
didn't know. I think he has only played about a dozen games for them in two and a bit seasons. His body is wrecked because of what
he did for us over many years. I have a framed photo of the Malceski goal in the 2012 GF and the expression on Hanners face is priceless.
It's hard not to have a soft spot for him.

Ludwig
16th April 2021, 02:48 PM
I've been critical of the Saints' list management strategy, especially the for what they gave up to recruit Brad Hill and the cost of the Hanners contract, but had to admit last year that it all seemed to be coming together for them from their high priced recruits to rookie draft picks, like Rowan Marshall.

This year things have turned on its head. Everything appears to be going wrong, from injuries to poor form. It's hard to believe how a player with Hill's credentials and proven ability can fall off the rails so quickly. It's almost as if he's lost his ability to play footy at the most rudimentary level.

SwanSand
16th April 2021, 04:19 PM
I've been critical of the Saints' list management strategy, especially the for what they gave up to recruit Brad Hill and the cost of the Hanners contract, but had to admit last year that it all seemed to be coming together for them from their high priced recruits to rookie draft picks, like Rowan Marshall.

This year things have turned on its head. Everything appears to be going wrong, from injuries to poor form. It's hard to believe how a player with Hill's credentials and proven ability can fall off the rails so quickly. It's almost as if he's lost his ability to play footy at the most rudimentary level.

I reckon he was supposed to be the icing on the cake. Unfortunately the list is now stacked with players who think that they are all icing on the cake and no one is doing the hard stuff. Again quality of a player doesn’t go down that quickly without losing fitness, so it has to be structural to how they set up and how they are being coached. Maybe there is overcoaching.

They will need to get players who want to go to St kilda coz they think they can play their best footy rather than get the best money.

Blood Fever
16th April 2021, 05:29 PM
Obviously St Kilda trading in Hannebery was a big risk for them considering his body was very much broken at the time. It's not like they
didn't know. I think he has only played about a dozen games for them in two and a bit seasons. His body is wrecked because of what
he did for us over many years. I have a framed photo of the Malceski goal in the 2012 GF and the expression on Hanners face is priceless.
It's hard not to have a soft spot for him.

Great player for us for a decade

Markwebbos
16th April 2021, 05:54 PM
Up there with "instinctual"

I presume the noun form is “interpretatation”

Markwebbos
16th April 2021, 05:57 PM

I thought Hanners was the “big fish” the Saints recruited as a demonstration to other potential trade targets.

In that sense it’s been a success.

liz
16th April 2021, 06:10 PM
I thought Hanners was the “big fish” the Saints recruited as a demonstration to other potential trade targets.

In that sense it’s been a success.

I never understood why the Saints chose to offer Hanners another two years - on the same money, so the media reported - as the three year contract they were taking over from us. Given his injury history that was a pretty significant risk. An option (his option) for an extension if he played a certain number of games might have been smarter. Though I guess that might not have been sufficient to lure him to the Saints.

Mel_C
16th April 2021, 08:19 PM
Maybe it's some kind of new AFL deal? If you have to miss a week because of the concussion rule, you get to be a Channel 7 commentator.
Or it's a way for Selwood to be paid money outside the salary cap so that Geelong can afford to pay all their recruits.

dejavoodoo44
16th April 2021, 08:56 PM
Or it's a way for Selwood to be paid money outside the salary cap so that Geelong can afford to pay all their recruits.
Since the AFL doesn't seem to publish any details about third party player payments and the like, we can only imagine what the rorts might be.

Thunder Shaker
16th April 2021, 09:10 PM
We play the Saints twice in the last 11 rounds, at about the time they're likely to be giving up their season and are starting to play the kids. They could be good for some percentage.

dejavoodoo44
18th April 2021, 06:43 PM
Oh well, looks like Hawthorn will finish the round in 17th. Also handy that Collingwood is 16th.

19th April 2021, 09:21 AM
Since the AFL doesn't seem to publish any details about third party player payments and the like, we can only imagine what the rorts might be.
Geelong is often cited as getting players into very lucrative Geelong region property deals, all above board of course, nothing to see here!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh well, looks like Hawthorn will finish the round in 17th. Also handy that Collingwood is 16th.

and how delicious is that, two teams I dislike as much as the Tullamarine Injectors, both Hawks and Pies have key players close to retirement as well. From a personal perspective, excellent that the Crows got beat, at home, by the hapless Freo, that will shut up my locals for this week at least!

dejavoodoo44
19th April 2021, 11:31 AM
Geelong is often cited as getting players into very lucrative Geelong region property deals, all above board of course, nothing to see here!

- - - Updated - - -

and how delicious is that, two teams I dislike as much as the Tullamarine Injectors, both Hawks and Pies have key players close to retirement as well. From a personal perspective, excellent that the Crows got beat, at home, by the hapless Freo, that will shut up my locals for this week at least!
If we lose, I'm always put in a much cheerier frame of mind, if Hawthorn lose. For a Collingwood loss to be a strong mood enhancer, I generally have to see pictures of Eddie.

i'm-uninformed2
19th April 2021, 12:48 PM
I've said it before on here but St Kilda and Carlton are classic examples of clubs trying to play finals to placate their fans. Neither are building a list to win a flag.

They'll at best win a couple of finals over the next couple of years. And then go back to the bottom as poor, middling Melbourne clubs that refused to do the hard things needed to be truly successful.

Mel_C
20th April 2021, 08:32 PM
Collingwood have been fined $20,000 for the Jordan De Goey and Jeremy Howe mobile phone breach. Buckley said De Goey had concussion and "wasn't thinking straight" when he grabbed the phones. So what was Howe's excuse? A hamstring doesn't affect your brain.

Mountain Man
20th April 2021, 08:40 PM
And, apparently the AFL warned Collingwood earlier in the season to improve their integrity about phones

MattW
20th April 2021, 08:48 PM
Collingwood have been fined $20,000 for the Jordan De Goey and Jeremy Howe mobile phone breach. Buckley said De Goey had concussion and "wasn't thinking straight" when he grabbed the phones. So what was Howe's excuse? A hamstring doesn't affect your brain.

Buckley is full of bogus sounding excuses.

Markwebbos
20th April 2021, 08:52 PM

I thought he didn’t have concussion but a facial injury

Mel_C
21st April 2021, 08:22 PM
And, apparently the AFL warned Collingwood earlier in the season to improve their integrity about phones
They used the reduction in soft cap as an excuse for the box that contained the phones not being locked due to there being less staff now.

I thought he didn’t have concussion but a facial injury
That's what Buckley said. I'm sure I heard after the game he had both.