PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat Round 10: the other games. Who do we draw a line through?

dejavoodoo44
21st May 2021, 05:33 PM
At a press conference today, Nathan Buckley essentially drew a line through Collingwood's finals chance, by conveying the message, that was more or less; yeah, we've had a good run with finals recently, but now we're resetting. Which had me wondering, who else might be saying goodbye to their finals hopes this weekend.

Tonight's match between Brisbane and Richmond, only has an indirect influence on that scenario; in that, if Richmond win, the bottom team of the eight will be on 6/4. Which will be hard to bridge the gap to, if you've slipped to 3/7. Don't really know who I'd prefer to win that game. On the one hand, if Richmond win, we have a chance of overtaking Brisbane. On the other hand, I'm a bit over Richmond's success.

The early match on Saturday is Carlton v Hawthorn. About ten days ago, Kennett drew a line through Hawthorn's finals chances, by reminiscing on the success of past rebuilds. The players then responded by losing to North. Though of course, if the players have been stung enough by that loss, to come out and produce an upset win over Carlton, then that would probably be an end to Carlton's hopes. Almost enough to have me barracking for Hawthorn. Almost.

The next game is Geelong taking on Gold Coast at the cattery. Don't know what's happened to the Gold Coast side that beat us convincingly, but they better come back this weekend, or else they'll also be at 3/7 and another line will be drawn. While Geelong are short priced favourites at $1.07, I think there's some chance of an upset. Or more accurately, I think the two most likely results are either a Geelong win by 50 plus, or a narrow and stirring Suns victory: depending on how overconfident the Cats are and how desperate the Suns are. Actually, I could probably write almost the exact same thing for the Saturday twilight game: Adelaide v Melbourne.

On Saturday night, we venture to Perth to play Fremantle. The Perth weather forecast for Saturday is rain, rain and more rain. Which might suit us. What I've been most impressed with recently, is our forward pressure. So in the wet conditions, I can see Wicks, Heeney, Papley, etc, keeping the ball in the forward fifty, until we get a score. Alternately, at the other end, for a long time, we've been pretty good at scrambling the ball away from trouble.

The other night game is Western Bulldogs v St Kilda. Earlier in the week, Beveridge made some odd comments about holding the ball. So let's just hope, that the rule of the week is a crackdown on illegal disposal.

The first Sunday game is GWS v West Coast. Should be an absorbing struggle. Can GWS win without Greene? Can West Coast beat a decent side away from Perth?

The next game is Collingwood v Port Adelaide. Maybe Buckley was trying some reverse psychology, by writing off their finals chances? If so, I doubt it will work. Perhaps a better motivator would have been a little wager on the game? As in, the winner gets to wear black and white next season. While the loser has to wear the Hawthorn charity jersey of a few year's back: the one where they boldly mixed their traditional brown, with lurid pink. I think the official shades of that monstrosity were bubblegum and turd?

The final match is Essendon v North. Can't really see North winning two in a row, but if they do, it will be time to get out the texta again. Actually, do people still use the term, texta?

i'm-uninformed2
21st May 2021, 05:46 PM
Of the other games, I want to see Hawthorn win this week. Not because I do anything other than hate Hawthorn, but the thought of Carlton losing to the Hawks the week after the Hawks lost to North - well, that would be just hilarious.

Oh, and if the Bulldogs could lose from a kick after the siren following a free kick paid against them for incorrect disposal, that would be a joy to witness. The only thing that would make it better is if the free kick was incorrectly paid after a Bulldog player had actually handballed for the first time in three years.

dejavoodoo44
21st May 2021, 06:06 PM
Of the other games, I want to see Hawthorn win this week. Not because I do anything other than hate Hawthorn, but the thought of Carlton losing to the Hawks the week after the Hawks lost to North - well, that would be just hilarious.

Oh, and if the Bulldogs could lose from a kick after the siren following a free kick paid against them for incorrect disposal, that would be a joy to witness. The only thing that would make it better is if the free kick was incorrectly paid after a Bulldog player had actually handballed for the first time in three years.

And in his desperation to get the ball away, Libba clatters into the shin of Bontempelli, unfortunately causing a season ending injury.

i'm-uninformed2
21st May 2021, 06:24 PM
And in his desperation to get the ball away, Libba clatters into the shin of Bontempelli, unfortunately causing a season ending injury.

Yes! My kind of man. It'd be better if Easton Wood did it, but he's out injured.

dejavoodoo44
21st May 2021, 06:34 PM
Yes! My kind of man. It'd be better if Easton Wood did it, but he's out injured.
Although, despite being an atheist, I can't help thinking that we might be revving up the karma bus.

liz
21st May 2021, 06:47 PM

I wish our "like" button worked.

dejavoodoo44
21st May 2021, 07:01 PM
I wish our "like" button worked.
I never did the experiment.

Sandridge
21st May 2021, 07:03 PM
For me, the most interesting non-Swans game is Power v Collingwood. Would love to see Port smash the Pies and give them - and Eddie! - further grief!

With McGuire unsurprisingly resorting to threats and personal insults in the Power prison bar jumper stoush, it would be great to see him suffer!

mcs
21st May 2021, 08:23 PM

Yes please on both accounts - but in particular the 2nd one please! :rofl: :rofl:

Thunder Shaker
22nd May 2021, 12:57 AM
For me, the most interesting non-Swans game is Power v Collingwood. Would love to see Port smash the Pies and give them - and Eddie! - further grief!

With McGuire unsurprisingly resorting to threats and personal insults in the Power prison bar jumper stoush, it would be great to see him suffer!

6.15 from Montmorency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5TIIye078o

neilfws
22nd May 2021, 03:43 PM
Enjoyed the Lions comeback and convincing win last night. Looked like they were enjoying themselves, good to see.

Strange (not really) though that all the media focus is on "the Tigers lost, what should they do now" rather than "didn't the Lions do well".

Ludwig
22nd May 2021, 04:05 PM
The Carlton v Hawthorn game is pretty entertaining. I'm not taking sides and am enjoying the game. But. What a shame that Eddie McGuire can make enjoyment so painful. If Napoleon could be sent into exile, why can't something be done about McGuire?

Sandridge
22nd May 2021, 04:29 PM
The Carlton v Hawthorn game is pretty entertaining. I'm not taking sides and am enjoying the game. But. What a shame that Eddie McGuire can make enjoyment so painful. If Napoleon could be sent into exile, why can't something be done about McGuire?

I've put it on mute. Even if he was a good caller - which he ain't - just the sound of his voice is enough to make you feel sick. And the faux excitement is galling because you know he really doesn't care or feel it.

But yes, it's an entertaining game.

Thunder Shaker
22nd May 2021, 05:24 PM
I listened to the end of the match on ABC Radio.

It was Carlton's first win over Hawthorn at the MCG since 2000. A few players playing in today's game were not yet born when that game in 2000 was played. When that game was played, Princes Park was still a current ground. Since 2000, Carlton had beaten Hawthorn only 3 times, because Carlton were winning spoons and Hawthorn were winning premierships. It's now 4 wins.

stevoswan
22nd May 2021, 05:54 PM
Enjoyed the Lions comeback and convincing win last night. Looked like they were enjoying themselves, good to see.

Strange (not really) though that all the media focus is on "the Tigers lost, what should they do now" rather than "didn't the Lions do well".

Sort of understandable considering they have won 3 out of the last 4 premierships....but also not surprising at all, considering they were thoroughly outplayed after quarter time and looked more like Carlton. The Lions do look primed to challenge anyone now.....and that should be the real take out from the match.

dejavoodoo44
22nd May 2021, 08:12 PM
Crows are still hanging in there, with a chance of an upset. 5 points down, with 4 minutes to go.

Faunac8
22nd May 2021, 08:12 PM
Adelaide taking it right up to the Demons . Great last quarter good pressure being applied by the Crows
Big Tex kicking a goal up by a point with a minute to go

Didn’t help with the tipping but a terrific win by the Crows came back from 16 points down

dejavoodoo44
22nd May 2021, 08:20 PM
Adelaide taking it right up to the Demons . Great last quarter good pressure being applied by the Crows
Big Tex kicking a goal up by a point with a minute to go

Didn’t help with the tipping but a terrific win by the Crows came back from 16 points down
Good on the Crows. Looked like their season was slipping away, but they kicked the coffin lid open.

Hotpotato
22nd May 2021, 08:34 PM
Crows v Dees was v exciting footy . Ex Croweater , so I was v one eyed , didn’t think they could do it 16 pts down and 7 mins remaining.

Tex could have easily fumbled that mark low down . So he deserved the crack and said (after) ‘I just imagined I was back in Broken Hill “

23rd May 2021, 01:02 AM
Saints foreign legion were an embarrassment, not playing finals.

Bloody Crows, local media will be sickening all week now, always best that they lose

barry
23rd May 2021, 11:07 AM
Melbourne have started to get ahead of themselves as only Melbourne can.

Well done crows, and Matty nicks. Best game of the round.

i'm-uninformed2
23rd May 2021, 11:24 AM
Posted on this before, but the Saints ain’t gonna be a top four side this year or the next few. They grossly overestimated both the spread of young talent they really have, and the quality of those they brought in as recruits. A middling side who’ll occasionally make the eight, and that’s it.

Nico
23rd May 2021, 12:16 PM
You can put a very, very big black Texta through the mighty "aints".

barry
23rd May 2021, 05:53 PM
Richmond are ninth. Back where they belong

Thunder Shaker
23rd May 2021, 06:02 PM
Richmond are ninth. Back where they belong
I noticed that. I also noticed how close it was between GWS and Richmond: GWS has scored two more points than Richmond and conceded five fewer. The difference amounts to about 0.7%.

Thunder Shaker
23rd May 2021, 07:45 PM
North Melbourne defeated Hawthorn, who defeated Adelaide, who defeated Geelong and Melbourne, who both defeated Richmond, who defeated Western Bulldogs.

Five jumps from the bottom to the top of the ladder.

royboy42
23rd May 2021, 11:49 PM

Of course, Port smashing the pies would have been great. But a one point heartbreak loss is even better. I’ve been ABC for nearly seventy years. I loved it.

Sandridge
24th May 2021, 07:41 AM
Of course, Port smashing the pies would have been great. But a one point heartbreak loss is even better. I’ve been ABC for nearly seventy years. I loved it.

You're right! Especially with Collingwood having the lead for most of the match! :clap:

stevoswan
24th May 2021, 08:17 PM
I have absolutely no faith in this league ever getting things totally right on the field or off it. Did they come to the below decision by listening to the FOX commentary? In the article it says the officiating umpire deemed that there was a team mate in the vicinity, so decided on a throw in. The AFL in their 'wisdom' have deemed the player did not make a sufficient effort to keep the ball in play. If they actually watch the bloody replay properly, they will see that the player actually tries to handball in the direction of said team mate and the ball is knocked in the direction of the boundary line by a Melbourne opponent. It's quite plain to see....if you're not bias.

Much like our 'controversial' win over Geelong and this one here, it is a Victorian team on the end of a supposed wrong decision while playing an interstate opponent. There's seem to be a theme here and we've seen it all before. As is long suspected, the AFL are just apologists to the Victorian football public. It makes me sick.

Deliberate: AFL admits error on crucial late Crows-Dees call (https://www.afl.com.au/news/620543/deliberate-afl-admits-error-on-crucial-late-crows-dees-call)

barry
24th May 2021, 11:08 PM
I agree Steve.

The rule is "sufficient intent to keep the ball in play". Not "deliberate out of bounds" as the commentators keep saying. Quite different meanings.

dejavoodoo44
24th May 2021, 11:23 PM
Yes, and I find it a touch silly, that they seem keen to pontificate on decisions that were made late in games, but largely ignore many dodgy decisions throughout the game.

Thunder Shaker
25th May 2021, 10:23 AM
I have absolutely no faith in this league ever getting things totally right on the field or off it. Did they come to the below decision by listening to the FOX commentary? In the article it says the officiating umpire deemed that there was a team mate in the vicinity, so decided on a throw in. The AFL in their 'wisdom' have deemed the player did not make a sufficient effort to keep the ball in play. If they actually watch the bloody replay properly, they will see that the player actually tries to handball in the direction of said team mate and the ball is knocked in the direction of the boundary line by a Melbourne opponent. It's quite plain to see....if you're not bias.

Much like our 'controversial' win over Geelong and this one here, it is a Victorian team on the end of a supposed wrong decision while playing an interstate opponent. There's seem to be a theme here and we've seen it all before. As is long suspected, the AFL are just apologists to the Victorian football public. It makes me sick.

Deliberate: AFL admits error on crucial late Crows-Dees call (https://www.afl.com.au/news/620543/deliberate-afl-admits-error-on-crucial-late-crows-dees-call)

A counterexample.

AFL admits umpiring error in thrilling finish to Cats-Lions game (https://www.afl.com.au/news/570560/dan-richardson)
Brisbane forward Bailey was not paid a free kick in front of goal in the last minute. Geelong won by one point. AFL admits the free should have been paid.