PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat Round 22: the other games. Have the elimination finals started?

dejavoodoo44
13th August 2021, 05:34 PM
Usually at this time of year, the cliche is that some games are elimination finals, with the loser being knocked out of finals contention. But with the way that the race for the last couple of finals spots has been going, I'm not really sure. I mean, lose a crucial game, and maybe most of your main rivals also lose, and hey, the zombie picks itself up off the ground and stumbles on.

Tonight's game between GWS and Richmond is a case in point. Generally, you'd think that a Richmond loss would be, that's it, dynasty definitely over. However, if results then went their way, they could enter the final round one win out of the eight, with a superior percentage and a possible percentage booster against Hawthorn.

The early Saturday game is Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs. I suppose we can hope for an upset? I mean, I doubt if Clarkson is even contemplating tanking; since Hawthorn draft picks would have absolutely no relevance for him.

Next up is Port v Carlton. Probably no chance of an upset here, as Carlton have just booked a number of players in for surgery and are already conducting the postseason review. Apparently the review is in three parts, entitled: Urgghhhh!; WTF, and Who To Blame.

At the same time, Geelong are hosting St Kilda. Since I don't think we can catch Geelong, it might be better if they made it almost impossible for St Kilda to make it. On a good day, St Kilda are still capable of beating almost anyone and after their recent victory, I don't really fancy facing them in an elimination final.

At the Gabba, Brisbane should continue Collingwood's misery. Pies fans don't even have the solace of looking forward to an early draft pick, since after last year's fire sale, their first pick is currently at 36.

We should then ensure that North wrap up the number one pick. Which hopefully they'll use to bid on Daicos and then Darcy.

In the first Sunday game, Melbourne should also keep Adelaide at the pointy end of the draft.

Next up, Gold Coast host Essendon at, umm, Geelong. With a final round match against Collingwood, Essendon fans will be confident of winning this and then sneaking into the finals. Just out of idle curiosity, with all the covid testing that the AFL have been doing, do they still test for things like steroids and peptides?

Covid permitting, the final game of the round should be a packed western derby in Perth. I sort of hope Fremantle win this: which will leave West Coast needing to win their final match away to Brisbane, in order to make the finals. Either way, it will be nice to finish the round, in a stadium crowded with rabid fans.

Maltopia
13th August 2021, 07:10 PM
Covid permitting, the final game of the round should be a packed western derby in Perth. I sort of hope Fremantle win this: which will leave West Coast needing to win their final match away to Brisbane, in order to make the finals. Either way, it will be nice to finish the round, in a stadium crowded with rabid fans.

I live in Perth and like other AFL fans here, am very aware of the Eagles winning the last 11 derbies in a row.

The Dockers without Fyfe beating the Eagles at Optus would be the biggest upset of the year, but Victorian centric and east coast fans probably wouldn’t realise it.

Dockers and Eagles news dominate our sports reporting here as we don’t have rugby league and we only have two teams, so we are very aware of the derby history here hehe.

dejavoodoo44
13th August 2021, 08:14 PM
I live in Perth and like other AFL fans here, am very aware of the Eagles winning the last 11 derbies in a row.

The Dockers without Fyfe beating the Eagles at Optus would be the biggest upset of the year, but Victorian centric and east coast fans probably wouldn’t realise it.

Dockers and Eagles news dominate our sports reporting here as we don’t have rugby league and we only have two teams, so we are very aware of the derby history here hehe.
Yes, valid points. Though balancing that, West Coast have been pretty ordinary over the last couple of months. Losses to North and Collingwood, and a 92 point thumping from us. Not that Fremantle have been much better.

Hopefully, it will be a close contest that the crowd can get into. Sometimes, when I'm not that invested in who wins, I enjoy the crowd going off, more than I enjoy the football.

Sandridge
13th August 2021, 08:16 PM
I'm concerned that we'll meet Essendon, Richmond or St.Kilda in the first final.

Therefore, hoping that Giants beat Tigers, Eagles beat Freo, Cats beat Saints and Suns beat Injectors. Essendon have a real chance of winning their last 2 games. :frown

joeykanga
13th August 2021, 08:25 PM
I'm concerned that we'll meet Essendon, Richmond or St.Kilda in the first final.

Therefore, hoping that Giants beat Tigers, Eagles beat Freo, Cats beat Saints and Suns beat Injectors. Essendon have a real chance of winning their last 2 games. :frown

Just please Giants follow up last week’s gutsy win albeit they’re without Toby Greene tonight and put us out of the misery of the Richmond discussion in the press…I’m so tired of the its the Richmond DNA talk and the ever so sensitive Hardwick..the response to Jonathan Brown’s critique this week was so privileged ..we don’t deserved to be questioned hail Ceasar

Just let Richmond slide away back to their pre dynasty customary 9th spot

barry
13th August 2021, 09:14 PM
Tonight's game will once and for all decide who is the better ex-Sydney ruckman.

Sandridge
13th August 2021, 09:24 PM
Just please Giants follow up last week’s gutsy win albeit they’re without Toby Greene tonight and put us out of the misery of the Richmond discussion in the press…I’m so tired of the its the Richmond DNA talk and the ever so sensitive Hardwick..the response to Jonathan Brown’s critique this week was so privileged ..we don’t deserved to be questioned hail Ceasar

Just let Richmond slide away back to their pre dynasty customary 9th spot

Getting your wish at the moment. :smile:

Really entertaining first quarter with both teams on the attack but the Giants are playing spectacularly well! Hope they can keep it up!

i'm-uninformed2
13th August 2021, 09:49 PM
Richmond a rabble so far. But in terms of their decline, one bloke stands out: Cotchin. Can’t compete at the clearances, field kicking woeful, can’t run defensively. Boy, when it is over, it is over.

barry
13th August 2021, 10:15 PM
I never rated him.

i'm-uninformed2
13th August 2021, 10:24 PM
I never rated him.

I always thought he was overrated, but boy, he looks like a total hack. Reduced to cheapies out the back, and his turnover kicking and defensive running has given GWS at least four goals.

joeykanga
13th August 2021, 10:44 PM
Getting your wish at the moment. :smile:

Really entertaining first quarter with both teams on the attack but the Giants are playing spectacularly well! Hope they can keep it up!

How good is it to see Brian Taylor be so unenthusiastic and now trying to rustle up excitement in his call
Did he play for Richmond

- - - Updated - - -

Can’t wait for please have respect for us Damien Hardwick presser ..how dare you ask that question ..we’re champions

dejavoodoo44
13th August 2021, 10:48 PM
How good is it to see Brian Taylor be so unenthusiastic and now trying to rustle up excitement in his call
Did he play for Richmond
I almost feel sorry for Richmond fans. The dynasty is coming to an end, to the accompaniment of BT droning on in the background.

Although strangely, there's still a very long shot of them making the finals. It's so long shot, that I can't be bothered writing it down, but it's there.

joeykanga
13th August 2021, 11:22 PM
I almost feel sorry for Richmond fans. The dynasty is coming to an end, to the accompaniment of BT droning on in the background.

Although strangely, there's still a very long shot of them making the finals. It's so long shot, that I can't be bothered writing it down, but it's there.

Who’s this Lippa commentating …he seems to be a little bit of an an acolyte at the Richmond altar also

Yes there is a very small chance ..the DNA stays alive unfortunately

Love Connor Bruhn ..great pickup

- - - Updated - - -

Or Tanner Bruhn ..Bruhn he’s good

joeykanga
13th August 2021, 11:27 PM
Please find a little bit of form West Coast
We don’t want Gws in seventh although I guess we could still head Brisbane

stevoswan
13th August 2021, 11:39 PM
Tonight's game will once and for all decide who is the better ex-Sydney ruckman.

Mummy was huge tonight....admittedly I didn't watch the whole game but in the bits I saw, he was killing it.

KTigers
14th August 2021, 12:40 AM

The biggest question in football. Around the dinner table here we talk of little else.

barry
14th August 2021, 10:43 AM
The biggest question in football. Around the dinner table here we talk of little else.

I don't think we are any closer to the answer.

KTigers
14th August 2021, 11:04 AM
I don't think we are any closer to the answer.

I think you're right man. The answer remains as elusive as ever.

wolftone57
14th August 2021, 11:55 AM
Richmond are in denial. Too much arrogance from coach, players. The game plan has been found out. The tall towers are easily controlled if you get the match ups right. Their backs do not like playing man on man they like to zone and you can create space from this. We were the team that pulled their game plan to pieces and murdered them.

If you don't recognise your failures as well as you achievements then you will drown in mediocracy. They have been elite but now they aren't. Their players do not have the hunger any more. Get rid of some of the players. Regenerate the list a bit with players hungry for the same success. But most importantly they must change the game plan.

I think GWS were very good. Have been the last two weeks. The Cats game told me something, not about GWS but about the Cats. They will not win the premiership because if they come up against several sides they WILL lose. Dees, GWS, Swans & Dogs. Even Port run them. That means Cats are close to the end of their run. They will need to retire almost half their side after 2022.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

14th August 2021, 12:47 PM
That's Richmond gone, can't stand that smug Hardwick.

What will be interesting now will be the actual match ups in the first round of finals, chance that some of the round 23 matches could be repeated the following week in the finals, Brisbane WC, Cats Melb, Fairypups Power.

barry
14th August 2021, 01:31 PM
Richmond have just got lazy with success. Some of the hard "workers" have left, and the high reputation ones remaining don't want to roll there sleeves up.

Funny thing is, hardwick doesn't have anywhere near the reputation of other premiership coaches.

Aprilbr
14th August 2021, 01:32 PM
That's Richmond gone, can't stand that smug Hardwick.

What will be interesting now will be the actual match ups in the first round of finals, chance that some of the round 23 matches could be repeated the following week in the finals, Brisbane WC, Cats Melb, Fairypups Power.Hardwick claimed in the after-match press conference that Richmond will challenge for the flag again next year! They might try the Hawthorn trick of buying in experienced players from other teams with the hope of prolonging the dynasty. We all know where that leads. Best to bite the bullet now, recognise that youth is needed and start to go back to the draft while gradually offloading older players.

KSAS
14th August 2021, 01:43 PM
Hardwick claimed in the after-match press conference that Richmond will challenge for the flag again next year! They might try the Hawthorn trick of buying in experienced players from other teams with the hope of prolonging the dynasty. We all know where that leads. Best to bite the bullet now, recognise that youth is needed and start to go back to the draft while gradually offloading older players.
A close mate who is a mad Tigers fan has been advocating this (re-build) since half way through the season. He thinks Cotchin, Houli and few others should give it away at year's end and trade a few out, to go to the Draft with a good hand (Rioli was one he called to be traded).

joeykanga
14th August 2021, 04:45 PM
Richmond are in denial. Too much arrogance from coach, players. The game plan has been found out. The tall towers are easily controlled if you get the match ups right. Their backs do not like playing man on man they like to zone and you can create space from this. We were the team that pulled their game plan to pieces and murdered them.

If you don't recognise your failures as well as you achievements then you will drown in mediocracy. They have been elite but now they aren't. Their players do not have the hunger any more. Get rid of some of the players. Regenerate the list a bit with players hungry for the same success. But most importantly they must change the game plan.

I think GWS were very good. Have been the last two weeks. The Cats game told me something, not about GWS but about the Cats. They will not win the premiership because if they come up against several sides they WILL lose. Dees, GWS, Swans & Dogs. Even Port run them. That means Cats are close to the end of their run. They will need to retire almost half their side after 2022.

Good post +1

On a separate note
I don’t usually like Hawthorn ..now that there’s a few unknowns playing it’s hard to dislike them as much as when you knew Hodge and Roughie were playing ..they’re actually looking pretty good ..it’s high pressure and plenty of good ball movement ..
That loss we had against them stacks up well with their from since ..they did come off a bye and we were backing up after five days

Bangalore Swans
14th August 2021, 04:53 PM
Hawks up by 20 points early in last quarter.

It’s clear that the Hawks are playing for Clarko.

The competition is very even.

The bottom 6 sides deserve a big congratulations. They are all playing hard to win and want to knock some medium and top teams off.

Sandridge
14th August 2021, 05:20 PM
You have to feel for the Bulldogs. They lost the free kick count today. Hard to compete with that sort of injustice.

dejavoodoo44
14th August 2021, 05:26 PM
Good post +1

On a separate note
I don’t usually like Hawthorn ..now that there’s a few unknowns playing it’s hard to dislike them as much as when you knew Hodge and Roughie were playing ..they’re actually looking pretty good ..it’s high pressure and plenty of good ball movement ..
That loss we had against them stacks up well with their from since ..they did come off a bye and we were backing up after five days
Well, I can tolerate them when they're beating teams like the Bulldogs. And I don't mind them moving further away from the pointy end of the draft, but once the new season starts, my traditional antagonism is bound to resurface.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to feel for the Bulldogs. They lost the free kick count today. Hard to compete with that sort of injustice.

Must be distressing for them. Perhaps a cup of tea, some fentanyl and a nice lie down.

KTigers
14th August 2021, 05:30 PM

That is outrageous. Surely the AFL will launch an investigation. I thought they lost because they only kicked five goals, and Hawthorn played
better, but now the truth behind their loss has been revealed.

KTigers
14th August 2021, 05:58 PM
Saints up and about. 5.1.31 to Geelong 0.0.0 with 4 mins to go in the first quarter.

14th August 2021, 05:58 PM

Noooooooo!

Dreadful state of affairs, poor pups :-(

Remind me again why the Hawks are giving Clarko the flick, still the best tactician in the game.

barry
14th August 2021, 06:20 PM
I'm putting a line through the dogs. They were lacking talls before Bruce did his knee, now very beatable. Out in straight sets.

Sandridge
14th August 2021, 06:22 PM
I'm putting a line through the dogs. They were lacking talls before Bruce did his knee, now very beatable. Out in straight sets.

Fingers crossed!!

i'm-uninformed2
14th August 2021, 06:25 PM

Nothing would give me greater joy. Well, one thing. But you get the point.

wolftone57
14th August 2021, 08:07 PM

Now they don't have Hogan to save them

stevoswan
14th August 2021, 08:09 PM
Blues are already on their end of season footy trip......Port by 84 pts, late in last quarter.

Cats get it done by 14.

Mel_C
14th August 2021, 08:14 PM
It's because Stevic was umpiring. He was conflicted who to pay free kicks for!

dejavoodoo44
14th August 2021, 08:16 PM
With that loss, the Saints are pretty much gone. Their only path is for West Coast and Essendon to lose both their final two games and for Richmond to lose their last. Even then, they would have to make up 7% on West Coast.

Sandridge
14th August 2021, 08:18 PM
With that loss, the Saints are pretty much gone. Their only path is for West Coast and Essendon to lose both their final two games and for Richmond to lose their last. Even then, they would have to make up 7% on West Coast.

More than happy to have them out of the equation!

wolftone57
14th August 2021, 08:36 PM
In the end Port scored 140 to Blues paltry 45. Teague is not only gone he's shot out of a cannon, or by a cannon I don't know which. Saints could not maintain their run against Cats. I hate watching Cats games. I hate the way they play. They strangle the football out of the game. It becomes a putridly boring keep the ball off the opponent and bore them into submission game. If you break their control of the ball, like GWS did you can kill them with pace. The reason they play slow, tempo footy is because they a @@@@ing slow.

I hope the Cats get bundled out in straight sets. That would be best for ratings. If they make the GF it will be the most boring match of the century. Come to think of it last years was almost the most boring of all time. The fact that Richmond are not much more exciting didn't help. The slow and steady Cats v the Balmain Tigers, oops Richmond Tigers.

stevoswan
14th August 2021, 11:08 PM
Suddenly Geelong and Port are top two on the ladder. Dogs down to fourth with Dees able to retake top spot tomorrow. It's tight at the top.....and had we not dropped certain games to low sides, we could have been right up there with them.

barry
15th August 2021, 12:43 AM
GWS only beat Geelong because they kicked straight.
But losing Stewart is a big loss for the Cats.

KTigers
15th August 2021, 06:11 AM
We somehow need West Coast to get to seventh rather than the Giants. But that is unlikely on account of them (WC) being useless.
Though a Swans-Giants final could be interesting as both teams now playing identical game styles.

i'm-uninformed2
15th August 2021, 09:16 AM
Posted yesterday on the potential joy of the Dogs losing in straight sets in the finals.

They are now at real risk of finishing fifth. One final. Out. Please.

Make it happen.

Buzz13
15th August 2021, 05:23 PM
We somehow need West Coast to get to seventh rather than the Giants. But that is unlikely on account of them (WC) being useless.
Though a Swans-Giants final could be interesting as both teams now playing identical game styles.

Because the Eagles play Brisbane in the last round and the ladder flips us up to 5th if Eagles win, it pretty much guarantees us either playing GWS or Essendon in an elimination final. I know we would never tank in the final round however if we lost to Gold Coast it is a much better scenario where we possibly play West Coast in first week of finals.

stevoswan
15th August 2021, 05:46 PM

I would rather avoid them. WC in Victoria could almost be chalked in as a comfortable win.....not so sure about GWS, who are very dangerous atm.

Markwebbos
15th August 2021, 06:41 PM
Don't think Weagles are going to be playing finals even if they beat the violet crumbles tonight

troyjones2525
15th August 2021, 06:42 PM
Really want them in as I don't want Essendon to make it!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

MattW
15th August 2021, 06:46 PM
Don't think Weagles are going to be playing finals even if they beat the violet crumbles tonight

50 point first quarter from Fremantle.

Essendon and GWS are the 7th and 8th best teams and both will be a challenge in the first week. It doesn't matter if we finish 5th or 6th.

Sandridge
15th August 2021, 06:48 PM
Really want them in as I don't want Essendon to make it!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Absolutely! Don't want Essendon in and don't want to play them! However, Eagles are being smacked at the moment by Freo! 5 goals down at quarter time.

Aprilbr
15th August 2021, 06:56 PM
Weagles are looking like crashing out of the finals with Freo on top in the Derby. Giants and Essendon have very winnable games next week while Weagles need to beat Brisbane. Given their talent and experience, the Weagles have significantly under-achieved this season.

dejavoodoo44
15th August 2021, 06:59 PM
Weagles are looking like crashing out of the finals with Freo on top in the Derby. Giants and Essendon have very winnable games next week while Weagles need to beat Brisbane. Given their talent and experience, the Weagles have significantly under-achieved this season.
I like to think that the 92 point thumping that we gave them, traumatised them for rest of the season.

dejavoodoo44
15th August 2021, 07:07 PM
That big win by Essendon definitely knocks out St Kilda and almost certainly gets rid of Richmond. For Richmond to get back above Essendon, they need to beat Hawthorn by around 80 points, while Essendon loses to Collingwood by around the same margin.

Kafka's Ghost
15th August 2021, 07:09 PM
WC are playing like 2022 spooners at the moment, and Freo are kicking straight! Things can always change, though.

i'm-uninformed2
15th August 2021, 07:16 PM
We’re now down to 9, given Richmond are dead on percentage. And GWS and Essendon certainly have the easier draw next week.

Sandridge
15th August 2021, 07:22 PM
Presuming they go on to win today, Freo are still in it, aren't they? Highly unlikely but not impossible?

MattW
15th August 2021, 07:30 PM
Presuming they go on to win today, Freo are still in it, aren't they? Highly unlikely but not impossible?

Yes, they would need to beat St Kilda and Collingwood would need to beat Essendon. Reckon about a one in five chance.

i'm-uninformed2
15th August 2021, 07:32 PM

Oops. You are correct

Aprilbr
15th August 2021, 07:46 PM
A first final against GWS or Essendon will certainly be a good challenge for us. I would slightly prefer to play GWS as Essendon seem so dangerous at present. I wonder where the game will be played and will there be a pre-finals bye? The answer seems to now be no which is disappointing.

crackedactor 01
15th August 2021, 08:11 PM
That big win by Essendon definitely knocks out St Kilda and almost certainly gets rid of Richmond. For Richmond to get back above Essendon, they need to beat Hawthorn by around 80 points, while Essendon loses to Collingwood by around the same margin.

Just on that match the Gold Coast suns were woeful. Honestly if they beat us next week, as they usually do, they should all hang their heads in shame and forgo their finals position.

joeykanga
15th August 2021, 08:11 PM
A first final against GWS or Essendon will certainly be a good challenge for us. I would slightly prefer to play GWS as Essendon seem so dangerous at present. I wonder where the game will be played and will there be a pre-finals bye? The answer seems to now be no which is disappointing.

What happens if West Coast do manage to come back and win this one and then win the next and they finish seventh
We finish above them and are meant to get a home final ..would the AFL chase the money and make us give up and have us play the weagles in Perth before a big crowd
That would be mighty unfair ..I’m presuming we’d also have to quarantine

I know there’s a lot of water under the bridge frost ..they have to make a comeback today and then do the unthinkable and beat the Lions ..

Maybe by then the Melbourne lockdown will have finished and some limited crowds can appear in Melbourne some of our great Swans supporters down there ..I’m presuming we’d choose Gmhba stadium

A lot of ifs

neilfws
15th August 2021, 08:15 PM
Interesting weekend. Tigers are a rabble now, but GWS looked very good on Friday, even without a few key players. Bring that to the finals and a few teams could be in trouble.

Wouldn't put it past Gold Coast to bounce back and end on a high against us next week, especially if the Swans have stopped caring about H&A results.

Mel_C
15th August 2021, 08:22 PM
What happens if West Coast do manage to come back and win this one and then win the next and they finish seventh
We finish above them and are meant to get a home final ..would the AFL chase the money and make us give up and have us play the weagles in Perth before a big crowd
That would be mighty unfair ..I’m presuming we’d also have to quarantine

I know there’s a lot of water under the bridge frost ..they have to make a comeback today and then do the unthinkable and beat the Lions ..

Maybe by then the Melbourne lockdown will have finished and some limited crowds can appear in Melbourne some of our great Swans supporters down there ..I’m presuming we’d choose Gmhba stadium

A lot of ifs

I read somewhere that if we were to play the Eagles in the first week and there were no crowds allowed in Melbourne, the match would be played in Adelaide.

Markwebbos
15th August 2021, 08:24 PM
Can't believe I'm barracking for the Weagles

Sandridge
15th August 2021, 08:28 PM
Can't believe I'm barracking for the Weagles

The game is turning into a real clinker!!

Mark26
15th August 2021, 08:29 PM
The game is turning into a real clinker!!

It's down to a goal in the final quarter. I'm hoping the Eagles get over Freo.

Sandridge
15th August 2021, 08:32 PM
Might have just seen Goal of the Year to Serong!

KTigers
15th August 2021, 08:36 PM
Wow. Talk about pressure footy. This game is thru the roof right now.

barry
15th August 2021, 08:55 PM
Essendon and GWS are the form teams at the moment, and we are going to meet one of them in the first week. :(

Markwebbos
15th August 2021, 09:13 PM
Essendon and GWS are the form teams at the moment, and we are going to meet one of them in the first week. :(

We've beaten both of them in the last month or so

15th August 2021, 09:20 PM
Who could have scripted the final round? Even 2 weeks ago?

Port need to beat the Dogs for a chance at top (pending 2 other games and winning by significantly more than the Cats who they need to just get over the top), Dogs need to win to secure at least 3rd

Cats need to beat the Dees for a shot at top, Dees need to win to stay on top (the maths is simple for Melbourne)

Bombers need to beat Collingwood to almost certainly finish in the 8 (save some record breaking wins from sides below them)

Giants need a win against the Blues to cement a finals place. Blues need a win for Teague to have any faint hope of keeping the CPR going on his AFL coaching career

Lions need a big win for a chance at the double chance (but it’s as much in the Dog’s paws as the Lions). Eagles need a win (& a Bombers loss) to sneak into the finals

Richmond need the greatest win of all time (and then some) against the Hawks (and massive losses for West Coast and Essendon) to make a bigger comeback than Seven Bradbury, Lazarus and Jesus combined to fall into 8th. Clarko just needs to keep doing what he’s been doing since he was shown the door to embarrass the Hawks and Sam Mitchell.

StKilda is in the same boat as Richmond but their boat is the titanic. If they win (by a stupidly big margin) they will be praying for Richmond to lose, the Eagles to be belted by the biggest margin in history (at any footballing level) and ASADA to come knocking on Essendon’s door otherwise they get their Mad Monday prep started. Freo a fair bit bit better off - they win, Bombers lose, Eagles lose and Freo are September bound.

North will want to keep up their recent form to give their supporters hope for 2022. The Crows might want to let them, so they can secure Pick 2 in the draft.

And the Swans are a highly improbable mathematical chance at 4th, can’t finish lower than 6th and their final position might have already been determined by other results anyway.

Strap in!

Aprilbr
15th August 2021, 10:07 PM
A couple of predictions for early this week, possibly tomorrow:
1. Carlton will announce that Teague won't be coaching their team next season.
2. Eddie Betts will announce this Saturday will be his last AFL game.

16th August 2021, 01:30 AM
Might have just seen Goal of the Year to Serong!That's the Swans barracking Serong who many of us were hoping we would select with pick 5 in the 2019 draft?

Sandridge
16th August 2021, 09:33 AM
That's the Swans barracking Serong who many of us were hoping we would select with pick 5 in the 2019 draft?

It was the sort of goal Eddie Betts would've been proud to call his own!

lwjoyner
16th August 2021, 09:35 AM
sertongs goal may have been good. But did you all notice the non call by the boundary umpire just before it. player and ball were miles over the line. shows all umpires are bad.

Markwebbos
16th August 2021, 09:58 AM
A couple of predictions for early this week, possibly tomorrow:
1. Carlton will announce that Teague won't be coaching their team next season.
2. Eddie Betts will announce this Saturday will be his last AFL game.

It would be handy if Carlton could beat GWS. The only hope I can see of that happening is with a different coach. I suspect they’ll wait one more week, but very happy to be proved wrong.

KSAS
16th August 2021, 10:19 AM
I do feel sorry for Teague. Tough initiation coaching in 2 covid ravaged seasons. Even though club has hardly progressed in his short tenure, those who appointed him should also take the fall should the axe fall. Think they had too high expectations for this season. They were allured with the Teague train when as caretaker, same as Rhyce at Norf. Looks like Roos is the exception successfully graduating from caretaker to premier coach.

i'm-uninformed2
16th August 2021, 10:32 AM
Carlton are a bad joke. They will have sacked four coaches in a decade.

Maybe, just maybe, the problem starts with a board that makes these decisions, the inability to structure a good footy program that can support the coach(es), the obvious deficiency in developing players, the dreadful recruitment and list management, and overall ordinariness of everything to do with that footy club.

I saw the outgoing chair tick off a list of achievements - debt reduction, profitability, membership numbers, etc. Fine. But not a single one of them, even according to him, related to footy.

David Teague may or may not be able to coach; but how would you honestly know?

barry
16th August 2021, 10:34 AM
You're being very kind to Teague. Their list is not too bad. Its the game plan that kills them.

However, if they sack Teague this week, GWS will need to be very careful.

dimelb
16th August 2021, 10:38 AM
sertongs goal may have been good. But did you all notice the non call by the boundary umpire just before it. player and ball were miles over the line. shows all umpires are bad.

I saw that and was peeved. Fortunately not all umps are bad!

i'm-uninformed2
16th August 2021, 11:10 AM
You're being very kind to Teague. Their list is not too bad. Its the game plan that kills them.

However, if they sack Teague this week, GWS will need to be very careful.

Don't disagree that they have a bad game plan.

I think my point was this was the board that sacked a promising coach in Ratten, who'd made finals. Then they made a bad call thinking Malthouse's best days were still ahead of him. Then they whiplashed to Bolton and gave him no support. Then they rushed a process to appoint Teague based on the false illusion of a 'fresh voice' response from the players.

Meanwhile, they can't develop high draft picks (think Dow, O'Brien, SPS, etc etc). They made a mammoth blue on McGovern. Saad has been ok, but Martin and Williams have been very underwhelming.

Above all, though - what is their footy direction and plan? I have no idea. I don't think they do either.

Markwebbos
16th August 2021, 11:38 AM
There was an interesting piece on The Mongrel Punt laying the blame squarely with the players

The Next Victim? - The Mongrel Punt (https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2021/2021/08/15/the-next-victim/)

The way the players checked out against Port this week was a disgrace, and indicative of the culture that has become the driver of the Carlton Football Club over the past 21 years... Whether it was Denis Pagan being pushed into weekly debriefs with the father of a player after games, Mick Malthouse’s demands on his senior players becoming a little too much for some of their leaders to handle ...

Sandridge
16th August 2021, 11:52 AM
There was an interesting piece on The Mongrel Punt laying the blame squarely with the players

The Next Victim? - The Mongrel Punt (https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2021/2021/08/15/the-next-victim/)

The way the players checked out against Port this week was a disgrace, and indicative of the culture that has become the driver of the Carlton Football Club over the past 21 years... Whether it was Denis Pagan being pushed into weekly debriefs with the father of a player after games, Mick Malthouse’s demands on his senior players becoming a little too much for some of their leaders to handle ...

Wow! That article is vicious! Makes you wonder if the author is a disillusioned Carlton supporter who's "had enough" of the what's happened at the club.

As someone old enough to remember Carlton's attitude towards us in the early 90s, I say, long may the Blues' era of failure continue!

Buzz13
16th August 2021, 12:28 PM
Ideal scenario would be for Eagles to beat Lions and one of either GWS or Essendon to lose which would have us playing West Coast 5 v 8

mcs
16th August 2021, 12:42 PM
Wow! That article is vicious! Makes you wonder if the author is a disillusioned Carlton supporter who's "had enough" of the what's happened at the club.

As someone old enough to remember Carlton's attitude towards us in the early 90s, I say, long may the Blues' era of failure continue!

Totally agree. Lets hope this conversation of ongoing Blues failure is still going in 2121, 100 years from now. They can rot for all I care.

barry
16th August 2021, 02:31 PM
Ideal scenario would be for Eagles to beat Lions and one of either GWS or Essendon to lose which would have us playing West Coast 5 v 8
What if all the finals are in WA?

16th August 2021, 02:45 PM
Final 8 is now set, GWS our match up first week. We owe them a payback!

KTigers
16th August 2021, 02:58 PM

It will be a dark time for football, our country and the future of the planet.

Markwebbos
16th August 2021, 03:01 PM
I’m hoping they’ll schedule our game on Saturday and GWS Sunday to give us a day’s extra rest in place of a home final.

Where do we want to play the Giants. I would say Kardinia Park but the Giants play that ground as well as we do.

barry
16th August 2021, 03:28 PM
It would be pig headed madness if they played the finals to empty stadiums in Vic. Move the lot to WA. Assuming WC don't make it, every game will be neutral venue. Fairest finals ever.

- - - Updated - - -

5,000 fans at Optus > no fans at GMHBA

Buzz13
16th August 2021, 03:32 PM

Well that would change it haha. But I heard it would be played in Adelaide if that was the case.

goswannies
16th August 2021, 03:41 PM
Well that would change it haha. But I heard it would be played in Adelaide if that was the case.
Sounds good to me!

dejavoodoo44
16th August 2021, 03:58 PM
It will be a dark time for football, our country and the future of the planet.
Yes, was that mentioned in the book of revelations, as one the signs of the approaching apocalypse?

16th August 2021, 07:03 PM
Perth or Adelaide, we get good support at both venues and both grounds suit our play.

Kardinia Park highly likely to be cold, wet and windy - no thanks

Mark26
16th August 2021, 07:58 PM
Yes, was that mentioned in the book of revelations, as one the signs of the approaching apocalypse?

Now that explains why they brought in the 6-6-6 rule.

Sandridge
16th August 2021, 08:29 PM

Well played, sir, well played! :clap:

bandwagon
16th August 2021, 08:34 PM
And behold, I saw a black horse; and he that sat thereon had a eagles scarf in his hand...

dejavoodoo44
16th August 2021, 08:50 PM

Somebody better check Gillon McLachlan for birthmarks.

KTigers
16th August 2021, 08:51 PM

Well what really enlightened me was listening to "The End" by the Doors whilst the Freo-WC game was on. Jimbo (that was Jim
Morrisons high school football nickname apparently) was singing "the west is the best" lyric just as Jack Darling kicked a goal.
Darling's jumper number is 27, and Morrison died when he was 27. Anyway, you can see now why I'm so concerned about what
might happen.

dejavoodoo44
16th August 2021, 08:54 PM
Well what really enlightened me was listening to "The End" by the Doors whilst the Freo-WC game was on. Jimbo (that was Jim
Morrisons high school football nickname apparently) was singing "the west is the best" lyric just as Jack Darling kicked a goal.
Darling's jumper number is 27, and Morrison died when he was 27. Anyway, you can see now why I'm so concerned about what
might happen.

Apocalypse Now?

KTigers
16th August 2021, 09:03 PM
Apocalypse Now?

Exactly. Its terrifying. I've contacted the AFL to warn them.

dejavoodoo44
16th August 2021, 09:37 PM
Exactly. Its terrifying. I've contacted the AFL to warn them.
I must start a Change.org petition. A Metricon grand final or we're all doomed.

dejavoodoo44
16th August 2021, 10:32 PM
Bit of a shame that Eddie Betts has retired. While he's obviously at retirement age, he was still capable of producing some magic moments. Has often been one of my favourite non-Swans players.

MattW
17th August 2021, 01:06 AM
might happen.

Haha.

KTigers
17th August 2021, 10:41 AM
Bit of a shame that Eddie Betts has retired. While he's obviously at retirement age, he was still capable of producing some magic moments. Has often been one of my favourite non-Swans players.

Yes. An incredible career. His interview last week on Fox talking about racism was as powerful as I've ever seen.

neilfws
17th August 2021, 03:54 PM

There aren't too many players who are almost universally liked and admired by fans of other clubs. I'd suggest that he's one of them. I was sat behind the goal at the SCG last time we played Carlton, he kicked one of his trademark "impossible angle" goals and everyone in that area went "ooooh", as one.

He's a great story and I hope he has continued success, keeps fighting for indigenous respect and doesn't suffer the fate of others who took on that fight.

snajik
17th August 2021, 04:04 PM
There aren't too many players who are almost universally liked and admired by fans of other clubs. I'd suggest that he's one of them. I was sat behind the goal at the SCG last time we played Carlton, he kicked one of his trademark "impossible angle" goals and everyone in that area went "ooooh", as one.

He's a great story and I hope he has continued success, keeps fighting for indigenous respect and doesn't suffer the fate of others who took on that fight.

I was one of those 'oooohers.' Great goal. Wonderful man. He'll be missed.

dejavoodoo44
17th August 2021, 04:50 PM
Yes. An incredible career. His interview last week on Fox talking about racism was as powerful as I've ever seen.

Yes, he did get his point across. Though at the same time, it was uncomfortable to see Eddie seemingly worn down by racist trolls; when his onfield presence usually conveyed an air of youthful exuberance. There was the trademark oversized shorts, the neatly parted hair and the impish grin, that was most likely to flash, after he had just slotted another almost impossible goal. And his joy at pulling off the audacious, would instantly spread to those in the crowd. And as others in the thread have pointed out, his feats were often admired almost as much by rival supporters.

Which suggests to me, that maybe the best way to appreciate his career, is to watch one of is highlights reels, and pay attention to the crowd reactions. Of course there's Adelaide and Carlton fans madly celebrating, but invariably, there's opposition fans quietly applauding, with facial expressions that suggest that they're thinking, "Yep, I'll give him that, that was something special".

stevoswan
17th August 2021, 06:40 PM

+1

i'm-uninformed2
17th August 2021, 06:59 PM
You want a highlights reel, check this out. It's truly nuts, and only Bud and Cyril would come near it.

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1285442548387856385?s=20

dejavoodoo44
17th August 2021, 08:56 PM
You want a highlights reel, check this out. It's truly nuts, and only Bud and Cyril would come near it.

Amazing isn't it. I do like the ones where he seems to beat a couple of opponents twice and then comes back to beat them again, just for the fun of it.

bloodspirit
18th August 2021, 11:12 AM
What an incredible player with an unbeatable highlights reel! Loved the many where he dances around the opposition players and the boundary line and then kicks a goal from the pocket. What a gift to the footy loving public he's been.

Maltopia
18th August 2021, 11:58 AM

He is amazing as so many of his goals were from contested possessions.

Also of the 24 goals in that package, 10 were left foot kicks and 13 were right foot (couldn’t tell what the last one was)! A very difficult player to defend as you can not rely on corralling him to his non-preferred side.

dimelb
18th August 2021, 04:03 PM
Unbelievable! And watch the adoring crowds!

Hotpotato
18th August 2021, 11:26 PM
Clarko was hard to dislike on 360 tonight .

Rod_
19th August 2021, 05:08 PM

Yep - Agree, hard to dislike.. well based on interview..

Watched in full and very grounded (well that is my word for him)

19th August 2021, 06:10 PM

Agree, first time I've actually warmed to him.

Now tell me again why Hawthorn are giving him the flick?