PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Swans season 2022 - Bring it on! (List, hopes, dreams)

Markwebbos
1st December 2021, 06:40 PM
The Mongrel Punt points out JPK is about to be have the most clearances and the most contested possessions in AFL history. At around the round 3-5 mark next year.

The Other Milestone Man - The Mongrel Punt (https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2022/2021/11/30/the-other-milestone-man/)

i'm-uninformed2
1st December 2021, 08:23 PM
The Mongrel Punt points out JPK is about to be have the most clearances and the most contested possessions in AFL history. At around the round 3-5 mark next year.

The Other Milestone Man - The Mongrel Punt (https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2022/2021/11/30/the-other-milestone-man/)

Thanks so much for sharing. We’re biased here, obviously, but it’s pretty rarified air to have a claim to being the greatest contested ball player of our time, and for an entire decade - and I don’t mean for the Swans, but the entire competition.

They should build him a goddamn shrine.

When we talk bout the legends of the Swans, we rightly go to Skilton, Plugger, Goodes, Kelly and maybe a couple of others. This bloke sits right on their tail.

If this his last season, let’s enjoy every freaking bit of it.

TheBloods
5th December 2021, 10:33 AM
Blakey , Florent, McCartin and Chad our most likely to become stars next year on AFL piece . They were especially positive about Chad

Guess they already consider Gulden , Jmac stars

bloodspirit
5th December 2021, 11:06 AM
Blakey , Florent, McCartin and Chad our most likely to become stars next year on AFL piece . They were especially positive about Chad

Guess they already consider Gulden , Jmac stars

Good point. Gulden and Jmac are my favourites of those players.

i'm-uninformed2
5th December 2021, 11:57 AM
Gulden couldn’t have had a better first year really, bar the injury. And JMac is the clear clubhouse leader of our years 1-3 players.

My only surprise on that list was suggesting McCartin might have a break out year. I’m not sure what footy the writers watched this year, but it can’t have been the Swans. He was stellar.

liz
5th December 2021, 12:41 PM
Gulden couldn’t have had a better first year really, bar the injury. And JMac is the clear clubhouse leader of our years 1-3 players.

My only surprise on that list was suggesting McCartin might have a break out year. I’m not sure what footy the writers watched this year, but it can’t have been the Swans. He was stellar.

I think it depends on what the journos mean by break-out year. If it's a player being in contention for AA selection, all our younger players (younger than Mills) are yet to reach that level. If it's just becoming regular contributors in a decent team, most of them are already there.

I suspect the omission of Gulden from the short-list is because it usually takes players until their third year to really take that step up to consistent performer - with second year "blues" all too common. McInerney's omission? That can only be because the journo wasn't paying attention.

NeonBible
5th December 2021, 03:25 PM
Could it be we just have too many possible stars to include? If the reporter wrote Blakey, McCartin, Florent, Warner, Gulden, McInerney, Hayward, Campbell, McDonald etc. then it would be pretty pointless doing an article where you have to select only a couple! Heh..

They picked good choices. Ollie is the one about to enter his prime, Blakey is the one with the most raw athleticism of that lot, McCartin was our lone selection in the 22under22 team this year, and "The Chad" is our most exciting young midfield prospect (unless you count Millsy as young, which he technically still is!!)

It's a great young squad and a recurring theme with the media reporting around the state of our list seems to be.. how hard it is to pick a favourite!! (That would make for a great thread idea..?)

The Runner
5th December 2021, 06:12 PM
Blakey's 4-6 weeks before injury were as good as any of our young brigade. When he went down, we all generally felt that it had a significant impact on our finals chances. His dash and run will be huge next year, i think he might be a smokey for the AA larger squad

bloodspirit
6th December 2021, 10:03 AM
There are number of teams with very promising young lists: Bulldogs (glut of mids, plus McNaughton, JUH and Darcy!) and Fremantle particularly come to mind. But the premiers, Brisbane, Port and Gold Coast also have strong, young lists. So while I abound in hope for us, I am conscious that the competition is hot too.

dejavoodoo44
7th December 2021, 10:13 AM
There are number of teams with very promising young lists: Bulldogs (glut of mids, plus McNaughton, JUH and Darcy!) and Fremantle particularly come to mind. But the premiers, Brisbane, Port and Gold Coast also have strong, young lists. So while I abound in hope for us, I am conscious that the competition is hot too.
All good lists, but my hunch is that the Bulldogs may slump this season, in much the same way that GWS slumped in 2020, after they were thrashed in the 2019 GF. I think that both the 2019 GWS and the 2021 Bulldogs sides, had the core belief that they had so much talent, that if they gave a 100% effort, then no one could go with them. Richmond comprehensively dented that perception and the following year, GWS never really looked a premiership threat. The manner in which the Demons took the Bulldogs apart in the second half, suggests to me, that the Bulldogs will no longer have last year's swagger.

Of the other teams, I tend to think that the Suns will get their act together enough, to make their first finals, but that will largely be mission accomplished. I'd like to see Fremantle put some more runs on the board, before I rate them a genuine threat. And that both Port and Brisbane are likely to be our main rivals. But of course, a lot can happen between now and the start of the season.

KSAS
7th December 2021, 11:13 AM
I so hope you're right with your Bulldogs prediction Deja for obvious reasons!

I'm bemused at some media predictions that Richmond will bounce back into premiership contention next year. Top 8 at best I would think, given their list profile & having already scaled the mountain several times.

dejavoodoo44
7th December 2021, 11:58 AM
I so hope you're right with your Bulldogs prediction Deja for obvious reasons!

I'm bemused at some media predictions that Richmond will bounce back into premiership contention next year. Top 8 at best I would think, given their list profile & having already scaled the mountain several times.
Of course, I could be letting personal prejudice influence my thoughts; but I reckon there's a reasonable chance that I'm right. A belting, like the one that the Bulldogs copped, tends to leave psychological scars.

Maltopia
8th December 2021, 01:51 AM
Of course, I could be letting personal prejudice influence my thoughts; but I reckon there's a reasonable chance that I'm right. A belting, like the one that the Bulldogs copped, tends to leave psychological scars.

We will find out in the R1 GF rematch. I would like to see the Bulldogs win to help Melbourne finish lower so we get a better draft pick :D

dejavoodoo44
8th December 2021, 08:46 AM
We will find out in the R1 GF rematch. I would like to see the Bulldogs win to help Melbourne finish lower so we get a better draft pick :D
I also suspect that Melbourne might have a fairly lengthy premiership hangover. Perhaps not quite as bad as the traditional Melbourne off year. More along the lines of, they might enter the finals in the bottom part of the eight.

stevoswan
8th December 2021, 09:37 AM
I suspect the Melbourne boys realise they have a dynasty looming if they want it.....and as nice as it was reaching the pinnacle this year, they will want more. I think they will be on song from the get go.....besides, I used to somehow play really well after a hangover (from the night before!).;)

mcs
8th December 2021, 10:46 AM

I never want the fairypuppies to win unless it is an absolute need in terms of our season. Would love them to not win a game ever again and fold and disappear off the face of the earth.

Harsh sure, but fair if you ask me. :rofl

KSAS
9th December 2021, 10:16 AM
Hawthorn are my tip for the spoon next year. All the ingredients are there: dodgy re-build after unsuccessful attempts to clear out some players during the trade period, replacing legendary coach with a untried favourite son who knifed his mentor in the back doing so, along with how it all badly played out publicly. Expect Norf to improve significantly & GC to win enough games to finish above the Hawks & possibly Crows before the AFL appoint Clarkson as their coach for 2023.

Auntie.Gerald
9th December 2021, 05:13 PM
I was just reflecting on what contributed to our 2021, 6th place finish and our 15 wins ........which was probably above all of our expectations

- Buddy on the field more along with Kennedy ie key players in key spots in the oval

- nice blend of goals between Bud, Paps, Hayward, Heeney, Wicks etc

- at least 8 young guys jumping ahead in their ability to not just compete but leave their mark on games ie Warner, Campbo, Gulden, McInerney, McLean, Amartey, Wicks, TMcCartin........that is a huge amount of players in one season to level jump significantly !

- Hickey as our Ruckman quite an impact !

- easier draw very helpful

- But for a slightly higher weighting for me ----the game plan in attack and defence that really works well with our squad. We have some fairly serious kicking ability in this squad. Dangerous some might say and we brought that into our style of attack via short sharp kicking to uncontested positions that gave more opportunity to break down opposition defensive lines.

I wonder where we will see the impact areas for 2022?

- Ladhams if Hickey injured and or needing KP role

- ?

- ?

Ralph Dawg
9th December 2021, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know anything about our academy player Lachlan Cabor from Shellharbour? He's the only player linked to us who has been selected in the AFL Academy Squad for 2022.

liz
9th December 2021, 06:30 PM

I don't think our easier draw had much to do with it. We played pretty well against the better teams.

Our three worst performances were against three teams that didn't make the finals - Hawks, Suns and Saints.

Our losses against Port and Melbourne were creditable.

Our loss to Freo wasn't too bad - I think they were the better team over the course of the game but we were in the lead with not long to go. And the first game against the Giants we probably would have won had Hickey not been injured.

I reckon the team got themselves up mentally for games against the good sides, and it showed in the performances. The awful performances against the Suns (in particular) and the Saints were maybe down to not bringing the right attitude into games against sides they thought they "should" beat (even if that was sub-conscious). Who knows what happened against the Hawks. There may have been a bit of that, but fatigue could also have been a factor.

Auntie.Gerald
9th December 2021, 06:38 PM
Liz i must admit I dont totally agree re the draw

In any sport I have played when you have to compete against the best in the comp it can take it out of you even if you win

.....and sometimes that doesnt show the next week............sometimes it is against a team lower on the table..........via a loss !

Scottee
9th December 2021, 07:12 PM
I don't think our easier draw had much to do with it. We played pretty well against the better teams.

Our three worst performances were against three teams that didn't make the finals - Hawks, Suns and Saints.

Our losses against Port and Melbourne were creditable.

Our loss to Freo wasn't too bad - I think they were the better team over the course of the game but we were in the lead with not long to go. And the first game against the Giants we probably would have won had Hickey not been injured.

I reckon the team got themselves up mentally for games against the good sides, and it showed in the performances. The awful performances against the Suns (in particular) and the Saints were maybe down to not bringing the right attitude into games against sides they thought they "should" beat (even if that was sub-conscious). Who knows what happened against the Hawks. There may have been a bit of that, but fatigue could also have been a factor.Hi Liz, I just watched the replay of the Hawks loss. I think that as well as fatigue caused by two 6 day breaks and a tough win against the Saints the week before, there was the double factor of the Hawks coming back fresh from a bye, and us going into a bye.I think psychological factors kicked in and deprived the boys of focus.
The Hawks were also playing for pride after only a few wins to that point.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

liz
9th December 2021, 07:25 PM
Hi Liz, I just watched the replay of the Hawks loss. I think that as well as fatigue caused by two 6 day breaks and a tough win against the Saints the week before, there was the double factor of the Hawks coming back fresh from a bye, and us going into a bye.I think psychological factors kicked in and deprived the boys of focus.

Gee, you're a sucker for punishment. I delete most of our losses from my IQ box as soon as I get home (or the game finishes on TV). Sometimes I keep our more honorable losses for a while (eg Port and Melbourne last year) but then delete them - unwatched - a couple of months later, or while doing off-season box spring-cleaning.

I sense you are desperately trying not to use the U word in your description above. As I had to grit my teeth not to (but have now succumbed).

I think the (or my) general point is that there are ups and downs in any team's season, depending all sorts of factors, some identifiable, some mysterious. But there is nothing in the data of last season's results that indicates we earned our ladder position by beating up on lower placed sides (double-ups or otherwise) but were outclassed by the better sides in the competition.

Mr Magoo
10th December 2021, 08:58 AM
Does anyone know anything about our academy player Lachlan Cabor from Shellharbour? He's the only player linked to us who has been selected in the AFL Academy Squad for 2022.

Swans academy rate him - very smart footballer who was selected as one of the few underage players in last years NSW Rams U17 team (unfortunately they didnt play a game due to covid). Pacey midfield type and runs the lines well.

i'm-uninformed2
10th December 2021, 10:16 AM
Hi Liz, I just watched the replay of the Hawks loss. I think that as well as fatigue caused by two 6 day breaks and a tough win against the Saints the week before, there was the double factor of the Hawks coming back fresh from a bye, and us going into a bye.I think psychological factors kicked in and deprived the boys of focus.

I told a Hawks fan depressed by their performance last year who wasn't going to go to the game that week they should go to the game as we were ripe for the picking that week. He's eternally thankful (unfortunately).

Scottee
10th December 2021, 03:11 PM
Gee, you're a sucker for punishment. I delete most of our losses from my IQ box as soon as I get home (or the game finishes on TV). Sometimes I keep our more honorable losses for a while (eg Port and Melbourne last year) but then delete them - unwatched - a couple of months later, or while doing off-season box spring-cleaning.

I sense you are desperately trying not to use the U word in your description above. As I had to grit my teeth not to (but have now succumbed).

I think the (or my) general point is that there are ups and downs in any team's season, depending all sorts of factors, some identifiable, some mysterious. But there is nothing in the data of last season's results that indicates we earned our ladder position by beating up on lower placed sides (double-ups or otherwise) but were outclassed by the better sides in the competition.

No gain without pain Liz. I can't ask the boys to review each loss with the coaching staff if I can't do it myself. I must admit it took me this long to bring myself to watch it after watching all the victories about 4 times : )

I agree on your ups and downs comment and also feel that overall it was a very encouraging season, beating the top sides on a regular basis showed we are no pretenders.

NeonBible
12th December 2021, 06:35 PM
I was just reflecting on what contributed to our 2021, 6th place finish and our 15 wins ........which was probably above all of our expectations

- Buddy on the field more along with Kennedy ie key players in key spots in the oval

- nice blend of goals between Bud, Paps, Hayward, Heeney, Wicks etc

- at least 8 young guys jumping ahead in their ability to not just compete but leave their mark on games ie Warner, Campbo, Gulden, McInerney, McLean, Amartey, Wicks, TMcCartin........that is a huge amount of players in one season to level jump significantly !

- Hickey as our Ruckman quite an impact !

- But for a slightly higher weighting for me ----the game plan in attack and defence that really works well with our squad. We have some fairly serious kicking ability in this squad. Dangerous some might say and we brought that into our style of attack via short sharp kicking to uncontested positions that gave more opportunity to break down opposition defensive lines.

I wonder where we will see the impact areas for 2022?

- Ladhams if Hickey injured and or needing KP role

- ?

- ?

Hi Auntie Gerald,

I had rewatched all of our wins from this season, so went back even further to watch our 2020 season all over again. Tough viewing, i won't lie. We were not anywhere near as cohesive as a team, and the shortened quarters i believe really hurt the young teams chances to get themselves back into the games..

Your point about where we can see areas of improvement next year, it is hard to gauge where the improvement will come from from our 2021 season, because so many of our players had wonderful seasons already. They will need a few more to jump on board and take that next step. So i went back to the 2020 games to see who could possibly be difference-makers, and i identified three players:

- Oli Florent.. I am a big fan of this young man, but think he still has a level to go to. Early in the piece in 2020 he was spectacular. Not just good.. but spectacular! He's so zippy. Loves to use his feet and weave in and out of traffic. Reminds me of a young Cyril Rioli when he would go into the midfield.. Oli seemed to play really well when in the action, at the feet of a ruckman.. is it possible he doesnt get to show his best assets when he is out on the wing?? Does he need to be able to extract the ball himself rather than wait on the outside for it to come to him?? This is a possibility for him. He might need more inside time. I would be especially interested to see him paired up with The Chad.. two shorter mids with a lower centre of gravity but great speed to do some damage at centre bounces.

- Lewis Melican.. i was thinking the outlook for Melican was grim, but as i got towards the end of the 2020 season, he came into the team from what i think was a hamstring injury?? He was very solid. There was a GWS derby where he was like a brick wall. There was a moment in the game vs Melbourne in Cairns where he completely out-muscled Steven May, who is a fantastic player and a brute who can go with the best of them. There was also a moment in the Port Adelaide game where he did the same to Charlie Dixon, who then rang rings around him just a few minutes later.. I realised the pattern with Melican. In aerial contests when he can out-body his opponent, he is great. A fantastic defender when it comes to body-work. He turns to water when opposed to athletic forwards, who work him over with leading patterns and repeated sprints. Jesse Hogan did this in the EF. If we can find Melican the right match up.. put the big brutes on Melican and let him stifle them, and give the less strong but more athletic opponents to Tommy Mac and Rampe, that could be a defensive set-up that works.

- James Rowbottom.. hopefully i won't open a can of worms here. I did not have him in my 22 for next season and i still don't, but i think if he gets his chance (which he surely will, with injuries always a problem in footy these days!!) i believe he can be a difference maker. In the middle of the 2020 season our midfield was in dire straits. Kennedy was out, Hewett was out, Heeney was out, Blakey and Florent were woefully out of form. To his credit Jimmy Rowbottom was one of only two (Parker the other, but that is no surprise!) who relished that challenge and took on the responsibility. There was a block of six games where his numbers read as follows: avg. 18 disposals, 4 tackles, 19 pressure acts, 12 contested possessions, 6 clearances, 4 inside 50s and 341 metres gained a match. Remembering that these are with shortened quarters.. if he had the same numbers next year with the normal length matches, he would be averaging 24 disposals, 5 tackles a game, 25 pressure acts, 16 contested possessions, 8 clearances, 5 inside 50s and 455 metres gained a match..

in regards to where that would put him with the rest of the mids in the comp, he already improved his tackles to 6.5 a match, so top 6 in the comp, which makes him elite.
His 25 pressure acts would have him top 7 in the comp - elite.
His 16 contested possessions would have him top 2 in the comp (behind Clarry Oliver) - elite.
His 8 clearances would have him 1st in the comp - elite.
His 5 inside 50s would have him top 16 in the comp - elite.
& his 455 metres gained would have him in the top 25 in the comp - above average to elite.

Certainly plenty of potential, it was only 6 games but it was a sign of what he could be capable of.

So with Ollie getting more time on the ball and forming a bit of a mosquito fleet on the inside with The Chad, Melican stepping up to the plate and giving our defence some support with more consistent performances and the right match-ups, and Paddlebum waiting in the wings as more than serviceable depth in the case of an injury crisis - like we had in the elimination final with no Mills, JPK, Blakey - i think those 3 can elevate us right into contention!

As well as the new faces of course.. excited to see what Sheldrick can do, must rate him highly to have used a 1st rounder on him, earlier than expected too. Roberts looks a big boy who can have immediate impact, and Ladhams as you have already pointed to.

Exciting times!

CHEER CHEER

stevoswan
12th December 2021, 07:25 PM
Hi Auntie Gerald,

I had rewatched all of our wins from this season, so went back even further to watch our 2020 season all over again. Tough viewing, i won't lie. We were not anywhere near as cohesive as a team, and the shortened quarters i believe really hurt the young teams chances to get themselves back into the games..

Your point about where we can see areas of improvement next year, it is hard to gauge where the improvement will come from from our 2021 season, because so many of our players had wonderful seasons already. They will need a few more to jump on board and take that next step. So i went back to the 2020 games to see who could possibly be difference-makers, and i identified three players:

- Oli Florent.. I am a big fan of this young man, but think he still has a level to go to. Early in the piece in 2020 he was spectacular. Not just good.. but spectacular! He's so zippy. Loves to use his feet and weave in and out of traffic. Reminds me of a young Cyril Rioli when he would go into the midfield.. Oli seemed to play really well when in the action, at the feet of a ruckman.. is it possible he doesnt get to show his best assets when he is out on the wing?? Does he need to be able to extract the ball himself rather than wait on the outside for it to come to him?? This is a possibility for him. He might need more inside time. I would be especially interested to see him paired up with The Chad.. two shorter mids with a lower centre of gravity but great speed to do some damage at centre bounces.

- Lewis Melican.. i was thinking the outlook for Melican was grim, but as i got towards the end of the 2020 season, he came into the team from what i think was a hamstring injury?? He was very solid. There was a GWS derby where he was like a brick wall. There was a moment in the game vs Melbourne in Cairns where he completely out-muscled Steven May, who is a fantastic player and a brute who can go with the best of them. There was also a moment in the Port Adelaide game where he did the same to Charlie Dixon, who then rang rings around him just a few minutes later.. I realised the pattern with Melican. In aerial contests when he can out-body his opponent, he is great. A fantastic defender when it comes to body-work. He turns to water when opposed to athletic forwards, who work him over with leading patterns and repeated sprints. Jesse Hogan did this in the EF. If we can find Melican the right match up.. put the big brutes on Melican and let him stifle them, and give the less strong but more athletic opponents to Tommy Mac and Rampe, that could be a defensive set-up that works.

- James Rowbottom.. hopefully i won't open a can of worms here. I did not have him in my 22 for next season and i still don't, but i think if he gets his chance (which he surely will, with injuries always a problem in footy these days!!) i believe he can be a difference maker. In the middle of the 2020 season our midfield was in dire straits. Kennedy was out, Hewett was out, Heeney was out, Blakey and Florent were woefully out of form. To his credit Jimmy Rowbottom was one of only two (Parker the other, but that is no surprise!) who relished that challenge and took on the responsibility. There was a block of six games where his numbers read as follows: avg. 18 disposals, 4 tackles, 19 pressure acts, 12 contested possessions, 6 clearances, 4 inside 50s and 341 metres gained a match. Remembering that these are with shortened quarters.. if he had the same numbers next year with the normal length matches, he would be averaging 24 disposals, 5 tackles a game, 25 pressure acts, 16 contested possessions, 8 clearances, 5 inside 50s and 455 metres gained a match..

in regards to where that would put him with the rest of the mids in the comp, he already improved his tackles to 6.5 a match, so top 6 in the comp, which makes him elite.
His 25 pressure acts would have him top 7 in the comp - elite.
His 16 contested possessions would have him top 2 in the comp (behind Clarry Oliver) - elite.
His 8 clearances would have him 1st in the comp - elite.
His 5 inside 50s would have him top 16 in the comp - elite.
& his 455 metres gained would have him in the top 25 in the comp - above average to elite.

Certainly plenty of potential, it was only 6 games but it was a sign of what he could be capable of.

So with Ollie getting more time on the ball and forming a bit of a mosquito fleet on the inside with The Chad, Melican stepping up to the plate and giving our defence some support with more consistent performances and the right match-ups, and Paddlebum waiting in the wings as more than serviceable depth in the case of an injury crisis - like we had in the elimination final with no Mills, JPK, Blakey - i think those 3 can elevate us right into contention!

As well as the new faces of course.. excited to see what Sheldrick can do, must rate him highly to have used a 1st rounder on him, earlier than expected too. Roberts looks a big boy who can have immediate impact, and Ladhams as you have already pointed to.

Exciting times!

CHEER CHEER

Great post! Much to be excited about indeed.

The Runner
12th December 2021, 10:01 PM
Lewis Melican takes us on the same arc every season.
He has an interrupted pre season. People don't think he's in the 22. He gets a start, and we deride him. He has some terrible games but somehow holds his spot. Then, he has a 2-3 week window where he's All Australian quality, and we start to remind ourselves why we like him. Then he gets an injury, and misses 6 weeks. And the cycle starts again.

If he can stay on the park for 22 games, he's our best full back. But, it's a rather large if.

royboy42
13th December 2021, 08:27 AM
Well done, Neon. A strong , thoughtful post.
It would be lovely to see it all come to pass.
Even parts would be great.

RogueSwan
13th December 2021, 08:56 AM
List - remain injury free
Hopes - Hayward becomes a regular 2 goal/game forward with a few of 5 goal games thrown in too.
Dreams - well, that's obvious isn't it?

i'm-uninformed2
13th December 2021, 11:40 AM
Thanks Neon - a very good piece, and very insightful.

It also points to where I think we can make major gains: in 2020, as a very young side, injuries helped cook us; but in 2021, we had a reasonable run with them till the end of the season.

In 2022, we're going to have richer depth, and blokes pushing each other for spots if they step up.

Up forward, won't it be nice to see how we squeeze in Ladhams and McDonald and even McLean and Amartey at their best in besides Buddy. You want Wicks to keep getting even better, but it'll be good to Sheather on his tail perhaps. And if Hickey goes down, it's good to know we have Ladhams as a strong back up.

In the mids, you want more from Ollie and having Stephens and Rowbottom and others improve, and Heeney and JMac rolling in, is the best way to make or break him.

You want Gould and Melican putting the pressure on for spots in defence, against the likes of a Fox. And if (and still think it's only an if) Paddy and Reid can make a fist of it as a defender, that's better again.

Anyway, you can name a lot of names (where, across the field, does Campbell start the season?) but you get the point.

bloodspirit
13th December 2021, 12:32 PM
As others have said: great, thoughtful post NeonBible! Thanks for making and sharing your effort.

Roadrunner
13th December 2021, 01:18 PM
Thanks Neon - a very good piece, and very insightful.

It also points to where I think we can make major gains: in 2020, as a very young side, injuries helped cook us; but in 2021, we had a reasonable run with them till the end of the season.

In 2022, we're going to have richer depth, and blokes pushing each other for spots if they step up.

Up forward, won't it be nice to see how we squeeze in Ladhams and McDonald and even McLean and Amartey at their best in besides Buddy. You want Wicks to keep getting even better, but it'll be good to Sheather on his tail perhaps. And if Hickey goes down, it's good to know we have Ladhams as a strong back up.

In the mids, you want more from Ollie and having Stephens and Rowbottom and others improve, and Heeney and JMac rolling in, is the best way to make or break him.

You want Gould and Melican putting the pressure on for spots in defence, against the likes of a Fox. And if (and still think it's only an if) Paddy and Reid can make a fist of it as a defender, that's better again.

Anyway, you can name a lot of names (where, across the field, does Campbell start the season?) but you get the point.

Two excellent posts- thank you! Please keep our injuries to a minimum and never serious. I’m confident there will be improvements all round and we will be a genuine title threat in 2022.

Scottee
13th December 2021, 02:44 PM
Thanks Neon, appreciate your thoughts.

Goal Sneak
13th December 2021, 04:17 PM
Great dedication going back to watch 2020 NB!

Excellent analysis, I agree that Florent is primed to go to another level. If he can utilise his experience and find that extra little bit of composure, he could play a very valuable part in our plans. I'd be happy for him to see some more time on the ball, at stages, to see how he goes.

Let's hope Melican can put a full season of solid football into his repertoire. I'd like to see what he could do when putting consistent games together. Agility is definitely not his strong suit, he needs to play on the slowest opponent where possible.

Very interesting to see how James' stats hold up when accounting for the shortened quarters (even if for a short period of 6 games). My memories at the end of 2020 held him in high regard, intriguing to see how his 2022 plays out. If he's not in the best 22 then we are doing very well indeed.

Plenty to be excited about!

Auntie.Gerald
13th December 2021, 05:10 PM
I have also been thinking about the weak points ie the players you cant easily function with out. The players when missing for significant parts of the season allow the opposition to break you down more easily.

Lloyd - not playing would be a serious challenge ie we would miss his massively high involvement in our exits and transitions. The guy is effortless and dependable for our players to runs lines and move into space.

Rampe - just a critical player for an assault on a top4 in 2022

Bud - what a difference when he is up and about. 2021 and donking 51 goals from 17 games...........priceless and turns games when they matter most !.....nothing like averaging 3 goals a game and stretching opposition tactics

i'm-uninformed2
14th December 2021, 10:51 AM
I have also been thinking about the weak points ie the players you cant easily function with out. The players when missing for significant parts of the season allow the opposition to break you down more easily.

Lloyd - not playing would be a serious challenge ie we would miss his massively high involvement in our exits and transitions. The guy is effortless and dependable for our players to runs lines and move into space.

Bud - what a difference when he is up and about. 2021 and donking 51 goals from 17 games...........priceless and turns games when they matter most !.....nothing like averaging 3 goals a game and stretching opposition tactics

I'd definitely put Tom McCartin in the 'can't do without' as much as any player, simply because of the lack of a clearly viable alternative.

Others may be indispensable in their own way, so no knock on anyone mentioned above. But we really don't have another high class, true tall defender - full stop. Ramps has been remarkable, and may well be for another couple of seasons, but he needs a companion down back. Others 'may' step up, but right now, there is no sure bet.

The Runner
14th December 2021, 02:08 PM

Disagree on Lloyd. His kicking lacks penetration and is not really damaging. Isn't it weird to see a guy who averages close to 30 touches a game never tagged?

TheBloods
14th December 2021, 02:21 PM
Disagree on Lloyd. His kicking lacks penetration and is not really damaging. Isn't it weird to see a guy who averages close to 30 touches a game never tagged?

He was tagged in the elim final champ

Auntie.Gerald
14th December 2021, 05:27 PM
Score involvements is a fascinating area also to review because the swans had 3 "rising stars" in the "rising star" top 20 in 2021

Gulden 4th most at 89 from only 18 games

Justin McInerny 6th at 87 from 21 games

THE CHAD 15th at 64 from 13 games

Both Chad and Errol sitting at 5 score involvements per game vs say Dustin Martin 6.6 Score involvements per game from 2010 to 2016 then Dusty breaking out to 7.8 per game from 2017 to 2021

Ps the only player higher per game than Dustin is.....drum roll.....Lance Franklin at 8.4 between 2017 to 2021 which is another reason we value Bud so highly

Pss can not wait to see Errols 2022 the kid is a serious post up player. You just want to get the footy in his hands because he maximises opportunity just as the stat's show.

Auntie.Gerald
14th December 2021, 05:39 PM
One last interesting fact

Harry Schoenberg at 20yrs of age (Draft pick 24 for Adelaide Crows) was no2 for score involvements in the "rising star" category.

Harry at 180cm and 78kg reminds me alot in his draft year to our young Angus 179cm and 88kg......gutsy players that battle the inside mid work..... who will lean down but have a body that can combat AFL in their first and second year very well......like Parks etc

I suspect Angus will bring also his insatiable desire to get his hands on the footy and be involved in scoring opportunities die to his quick movement out of the pack.

i'm-uninformed2
15th December 2021, 08:15 AM
One last interesting fact

Harry Schoenberg at 20yrs of age (Draft pick 24 for Adelaide Crows) was no2 for score involvements in the "rising star" category.

Harry at 180cm and 78kg reminds me alot in his draft year to our young Angus 179cm and 88kg......gutsy players that battle the inside mid work..... who will lean down but have a body that can combat AFL in their first and second year very well......like Parks etc

I suspect Angus will bring also his insatiable desire to get his hands on the footy and be involved in scoring opportunities die to his quick movement out of the pack.

Yep. And made that comparison on here when we drafted him. Some people are just pure footballers and Schoenberg is one, despite looking like a short, stocky, unathletic type. If Angus tracks on the same trajectory, we’ll have a good one on our hands.

Rod_
15th December 2021, 11:48 AM
While 2021 met and exceeded my expectations, a top 4 and successful finals series is my 22 hopes!

Go well Swans

Cheers

Maltopia
15th December 2021, 04:59 PM
I’d like to see Reid give us a good final year with any games missed due to outstanding form of Almartey etc, instead of injury.

KSAS
4th January 2022, 08:17 AM
As touched upon by Auntie Gerald in the pre-season thread, 2022 will present more covid challenges in light of the omicron spread. Taking note of how it's hitting the Melb Stars list in the BBL, is potentially the same blue print AFL will also adopt in the "show must go on" policy.

In that regard, every chance all players on our list may get a run at some point, which is exciting in some respects as I reckon we bat deep. All clubs will be in same boat with perhaps the exception of WA with their tightened borders. (Interesting the Scorchers are playing all their BBL games away as a result).

Auntie.Gerald
4th January 2022, 12:32 PM
Dylan Stephens | AFL (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/players/3734/dylan-stephens)

And it also appears bigger and stronger

Stephens at 184cm and 78kg !!!!!

McDonald ar 196cm and 92kg

Seems like alot of the player profiles have been updated.

Auntie.Gerald
4th January 2022, 12:41 PM
43 player profiles

rickmat
4th January 2022, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately the profiles have not been updated as commentary still talking about the 20 season for most players. This is typical of the Swans

Auntie.Gerald
4th January 2022, 04:09 PM
Hi Rickmat I think if have a look thru some you will find weight height etc has been updated for almost all players

Logan didnt join at 96kg nor did Stephens at 78kg etc

stevoswan
4th January 2022, 05:30 PM
If Stephens 184cm and 78kg's stats are correct, I still reckon he's down on bulk. I am 183cm tall and in my playing days my weight was steady at around 85kg's (now hovers around 77kg's....34 yrs after retirement:tongue:) and I reckoned then that I was still to light to mix it with the big boys, although I did pretty well:wink:, playing mainly in KP roles. Even though he seems to have bulked up more, in my estimation, Dylan still needs at least another 5 to 10kg's of muscle.

rickmat
4th January 2022, 05:37 PM
If the Swans are updating the players weight etc, then surely they can update their bio. Most are very dated. Swans have used the excuse that the AFL update the player profiles and pics (which you can see are still lacking for draftees). Sad that player profiles still talk about what they did in 2020 and their hopes for 2021. We have requested that Swans update this info but to no avail.

Blood Fever
5th January 2022, 08:32 AM
If Stephens 184cm and 78kg's stats are correct, I still reckon he's down on bulk. I am 183cm tall and in my playing days my weight was steady at around 85kg's (now hovers around 77kg's....34 yrs after retirement:tongue:) and I reckoned then that I was still to light to mix it with the big boys, although I did pretty well:wink:, playing mainly in KP roles. Even though he seems to have bulked up more, in my estimation, Dylan still needs at least another 5 to 10kg's of muscle.

He's a similar build to McVeigh who probably weighed the same or even less at the same age. McVeigh ended up at 81kg so on a similar trajectory.

Rod_
6th January 2022, 09:44 AM
What am I looking for in 22 from the players.
2 players I am looking forward to making an impact are Stevens and Gould. They are possible replacements for Hewitt and Dawson.. While Hewitt was a tagging mid I feel that Stevens can improve in that area. We have been taking the game on a lot more last year.. Perhaps the tagger is old school... or Harry, Clarke, Bell Kennedy or ?? can step up to tag if needed. My thoughts are there is no need to tag, if they haven't got the ball.. Keep the ball in possession above 60% of the time. For us to improve, they need to equal or better the players we lost. (Presuming they are the replacements - Grab hold of the opportunity and make it their own!) Break even and then improve later in the year.
Ladhams and Hickey - looking forward to seeing both of them on the field at the same time. Been a long while since the Swans had a key pair, in the rucks. - Likely improvement in the rucks. Expectations high in this area!
#2.1
Amartey and Mclean - Wondering how they fit into the side with the above. (Reid - in the back line or return to fitness in the forwards.) With Buddy we would be to tall.. Sorry for Naismith and Sinclair as they will have a lot of time in the seconds or recovering. Truly excited with the prospect of these 2 players and what they can do. Logan McDonald may displace one or both.
Can Melican break into the team, and hold a key defensive position? Will Blakey return to fit and be a running half back flanker? Can he replace part of what Dawson gave us? Can O'Riordan and Fox provide good service. Our defenders have not gone backwards and expect we will maintain - improve.
Campbell and Gulden - Excited all year by these pair. May suffer year 2 blues, however if they improve so will the Swans. (You can add Warner Snr, McInerney and some other new kids to this list. No Idea what the new kids can do but based on previous years likely one or 2 will make an impact)
McCartin and McCartin - Will we or won't we. Mostly likely to have 2 of them in the backline. If we get them working together, the All Australian selection committee to have a hard time only selecting one!
More of the same from the old and faithful. Buddy to kick 1000 goals in the first round, (Everyone that invades the playing arena wears a mask and it is not a super spreader event) Parker and Rampe to pay all game and the same high level. Papley and Buddy go goal for goal towards the Coleman (Buddy for sentimental reason and signs as a rookie for 2023 - looking to 2024 but will see how he goes.)
Joey retires with a cup in hand!
Rise of the Swans golden era, and commentators are suggesting back to back is possible.

End of hopes, wishes and desires.

Go Swans

Love off season posturing.

Goal Sneak
6th January 2022, 01:34 PM
I agree Rod. If we're talking hopes and dreams, might as well go big!

liz
6th January 2022, 01:46 PM
Buddy to kick 1000 goals in the first round,

That would be some feat.

Rod_
6th January 2022, 06:45 PM
That would be some feat.
And the week after kick 6 more to make 2000…. Lol

I guess I was thinking / hoping a total of 1000 in week one.

Maltopia
14th January 2022, 02:55 PM
That would be some feat.

Imagine our percentage for the season LOL