PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Saddo?

Sid
25th April 2004, 12:24 PM
I wasnt too please with saddo yesterday. i thought the good game against the Roos would have boosted his confidence. But that got into shatters when he was put in defence again. He let neitz have everything, a kick out on the full from back pocket.

He took a couple of good marks but I dont think last week did anything for him. A bit disappointing.

Captain
25th April 2004, 12:29 PM
At the game, I thought he must have been injured as I hardly saw him.

Seeing today that he was ok, then what a shocker he had.

I blame the fact he was played back in defence again. Saddo played brilliantly upforward against the Roos so why not leave him there. Disappointing coaching for my mind. Stick him in the goal square and leave him there. Lets talk bout moving him once he gets some confidence back.

Charlie
25th April 2004, 12:33 PM
I didn't like the idea of him going forward at first, but really, he exploits the opposition excellently... this is the potential forward line when Magic comes back...

Saddington Hall Schneider
Davis O'Loughlin O'Keefe

Saddo can still roam up the ground a bit if he needs to find the ball, but... one of Saddington, Davis and O'Loughlin is going to end up with a 4th defender! It doesn't rob Peter to pay Paul, either... leaves Goodes up the ground where he belongs.

stellation
25th April 2004, 12:39 PM
I'm not willing yet to believe that his good game against North was just a fluke. He played well in that game when given the opportunity in a new part of the ground and then last night he was just thrown back into defence and didn't get another full run in the forwards. The return of Andrew Schauble will not only give us our premier defender and the man who directs the backline, it will also give us the chance to have Saddo run in the forwards.

Bleed Red Blood
25th April 2004, 01:08 PM
I thought he should have been forward last night not Goodes.

motorace_182
25th April 2004, 01:55 PM
Why does everyone say Goodes is suited up forward?? The bloke can not kick at goal to save himself, he got a fair chunk of his votes lsat year ripping it up playing in the ruck and then roving, why not keep him there?

sharpie
25th April 2004, 06:05 PM
While it is all good and well to say that Saddo should be playing forward at the moment, who else was there to take Neitz and others down back last night. Not everyone can play in our forward line.

Nico
25th April 2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
While it is all good and well to say that Saddo should be playing forward at the moment, who else was there to take Neitz and others down back last night. Not everyone can play in our forward line.

What's the point about talking about Saddo. This subject has been done to death over the past few months.

Lets give it a rest for next 6 seasons please.

Sanecow
26th April 2004, 04:21 PM
I was going to start this thread myself. I'm glad Saddo Bash 2004 has come to a stop. It's just a shame it's given way to the Drop Maxfield drive. Mind you, if Saddo drops a couple of marks next week or kicks 5 goals 10 he'll be back in the fire.

Bring back Nicks!

floppinab
26th April 2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by stellation
I'm not willing yet to believe that his good game against North was just a fluke. He played well in that game when given the opportunity in a new part of the ground and then last night he was just thrown back into defence and didn't get another full run in the forwards.

I don't believe it was a fluke but the North defence were so far off their game that day a monkey could've kicked 3 or 4 I reckon.
IMO most are seriously overrating his performance that day and IMO a stint in ressies is what is required.

sharpie
26th April 2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
I don't believe it was a fluke but the North defence were so far off their game that day a monkey could've kicked 3 or 4 I reckon.
IMO most are seriously overrating his performance that day and IMO a stint in ressies is what is required.

I am sorry, but that is just ridiculous.

What would that achieve. His game against the Roos, if nothing else, showed that it is just confidence, and not skill or otherwise, which Saddo is lacking. What exactly would dropping him to the 2s do for his confidence? Absolute @@@@@@ all. It would be likely that he would be so bored out there that he would not even play well, further denting his confidence and would receive even more wrath from supporters.

But I am not worried, because Roos knows better than that. Anyway, who was required to go into defense on Saturday night when the other tall defenders were struggling? Now he didnt play well there, but it will take time for him to get his confidence. He just needs that time up forward and floating around a wing for longer than he has been given so far.

NMWBloods
26th April 2004, 08:15 PM
Firstly, I don't think putting Saddo into the reserves would achieve much - probably be more detrimental if anything.

Secondly, I don't think his game against North was quite as spectacular as some were making out. It was good, but let's keep it in perspective - he still has a lot more to do, which he didn't on the weekend.

Thirdly, I think the midfield was a much bigger problem on Saturday than our defence. It wasn't like they were bombing it long and their forwards killing us. There was a heap of space for the forwards to lead into and the Melbourne midfielders had plenty of time to delive to the right spot.