PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Mid Season Draft

bandwagon
19th May 2022, 09:19 PM
Apologies if I have missed an existing thread..

Well, the Mid-Season Rookie Draft is on 1 June, and we have an available spot on our list. So what sort of player do people think we should be looking at? Or just skip it and save cap space?

I barely watch lower leagues, but was impressed by Mutaz El Nour when we played the Northern Bullants in the VFL. Athletic tall-ish defender - more Alex Johnson than Heath Grundy. Wouldnt mind a proper tall defender to mind the new batch of ruck-size forwards, but i have no idea who is out there.

19th May 2022, 11:30 PM
Hard to gauge who is out there but no doubt Callum Twomey will have a fairly comprehensive list of likely draftees.

I don't particularly like the MSD because it just grabs the best players from second tier sides who are trying to win their own flag.

What it does do however is give those sides on the bottom a chance to grab a player who may have gone in the 20-30 range at the ND, sort of a priority pick for those strugglers without actually having to give them a PP at the ND.

Every team will make a vacancy or two in their lists so they can partake. We won't select until 13-15 so there is highly unlikely to be any gems by then but we'll probably grab a development player like we did last year rather than having to use a late ND pick.

26th May 2022, 08:45 AM
MID SEASON DRAFT - is that the title of this thread?

Ex Hawk Hanrahan was mentioned earlier in the main drafting thread but notice he hasn't even nominated for the MSD.

I've read the MSD previews and don't see any must have players, as usual it will be selecting a development player six months early. Always a possibility we don't even partake given we won't pick until early teens

ugg
26th May 2022, 11:30 AM
Reported after former Swans Academy player Jacob Bauer along with 5 other clubs

Pies, Bombers among six clubs reportedly interested in athletic SANFL forward - AFL News - Zero Hanger (https://www.zerohanger.com/pies-bombers-among-six-clubs-reportedly-interested-in-athletic-sanfl-forward-120928/)

Not sure we have a need for another tallish forward given our glut at the moment, but it does say he started the season in defence so that's where we could be looking at him to play.

bloodspirit
26th May 2022, 01:00 PM
I think of Sinclair and Amartey as ruck-forwards and McLean is serviceable but not A or even B grade so I don't see any glut of tallish forwards.

Markwebbos
26th May 2022, 01:35 PM
I was surprised some of the articles (the Hun in particular) said we were well stocked for KPPs and might need to pick up (inside) midfielders or project ruck men!

Nico
26th May 2022, 04:46 PM
Can they put Kennedy on the long term injury list to open up a spot next week.

COB
26th May 2022, 04:48 PM
Can they put Kennedy on the long term injury list to open up a spot next week.

My understanding is that he would have to go on the inactive list meaning that he couldn't play again this year

bloodspirit
26th May 2022, 05:13 PM
AFL Draft 2022 Chris Doerre Knightmare's - mid-season draft top 10 Power Rankings (https://www.espn.com/afl/story/_/id/33936512/afl-draft-2022-chris-doerre-knightmare-mid-season-draft-top-10-power-rankings)

26th May 2022, 05:33 PM
AFL Draft 2022 Chris Doerre Knightmare's - mid-season draft top 10 Power Rankings (https://www.espn.com/afl/story/_/id/33936512/afl-draft-2022-chris-doerre-knightmare-mid-season-draft-top-10-power-rankings)

Ten players there that all read very well, one even touted as worth a first rounder in the ND.

WC, Norf, Essendon and Crows well placed to grab the cream. Noticed Bauer an ex Swans academy player amongst the ten. Clubs busy putting players on the LTI list so they can participate next week, some have two spots available.

29th May 2022, 09:47 PM
6.30pm Wednesday, we probably have pick 12

The current ladder is very interesting with the next round of matches really important given who teams play

H2F
30th May 2022, 01:11 AM
Please for the love of god a small defender not RESTING MIDS.

You can see how a proper defence nullified Carlton smalls today.

gloveski
30th May 2022, 07:43 AM
Please for the love of god a small defender not RESTING MIDS.

You can see how a proper defence nullified Carlton smalls today.

Agree totally defence is were we need to look . See the difference when we sent Mills back , but that’s robbing Peter to pay Paul as he is our best midfielder . Makes me think surely Gould could play Rampe’s role freeing up Rampe to roam and control the backline like Mills done Friday night Either that or a ready made 6 foot midfielder with leg speed we get slaughtered against taller midfields . But they don’t grow on trees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadrunner
30th May 2022, 09:23 AM
Agree totally defence is were we need to look . See the difference when we sent Mills back , but that’s robbing Peter to pay Paul as he is our best midfielder . Makes me think surely Gould could play Rampe’s role freeing up Rampe to roam and control the backline like Mills done Friday night Either that or a ready made 6 foot midfielder with leg speed we get slaughtered against taller midfields . But they don’t grow on trees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, time to unleash the Gould! Mills back to mid and use Ramps as our sweeper.

bloodspirit
30th May 2022, 09:09 PM
I love that our pick is straight before Geelong. We've gazumped them a number of times over the years and I never get tired of it!

31st May 2022, 12:41 PM
Melbourne, Brisbane and Dogs not participating. Swans and Gold Coast indicated they may pass if preferred players not still available.

We have pick 11

Ex Swans Academy? Jacob Bauer in the mix

i'm-uninformed2
31st May 2022, 02:26 PM
Melbourne, Brisbane and Dogs not participating. Swans and Gold Coast indicated they may pass if preferred players not still available.

We have pick 11

Ex Swans Academy? Jacob Bauer in the mix

I think our approach is fair enough. Our list build is now in a 'needs' phase - where we have particular holes to target (eg: a long-term partner for Logan, a good small forward companion for Paps, a good small defender). If that player is there, great. If not, no point grabbing a run-of-the-mill midfielder who'll spend the next 12 months accumulating possessions alongside Taylor or Clarke in reserves, just because they were there and we 'could' take them.

ugg
1st June 2022, 06:19 PM
Latest 'rumours' from FOX Footy

AFL draft 2022 tracker: Late mail, mock draft, phantom, Oskar Faulkhead Essendon, Josh Carmichael, Jai Culley (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2022-tracker-late-mail-mock-draft-phantom-oskar-faulkhead-essendon-josh-carmichael-jai-culley/news-story/9275b1b649e538bbd98dad911a26f043)

Sydney, which isn’t expected to pass on Wednesday night despite having Pick 11, would also consider Bauer and D’Ambrosio if they were still on the board. The Swans have also shown interest in Hugo Hall-Kahan – an exciting hybrid forward that has great speed and endurance and could fit in anywhere on an AFL field. Should Hall-Kahan still be on the board at Pick 14, expect St Kilda to pounce as it tried to nominate Hall-Kahan as an NGA prospect after discovering late in the picture he was eligible under rules, only for the AFL to deny the club’s application.

Here's an article on HHK

Always injured to mid-season draft prospect: ex-Haileyburian's journey | Dandenong Star Journal (https://dandenong.starcommunity.com.au/news/2022-05-20/always-injured-to-mid-season-draft-prospect-ex-haileyburians-journey/)

liz
1st June 2022, 07:53 PM
That's an awful lot of injuries. Clubs would want to be confident his body will stand up to AFL footy. (Though I guess the mid-season rookie list is relatively low risk from the clubs' perspective.)

bloodspirit
1st June 2022, 08:16 PM
The Tiges have grabbed Bauer - ex Swans Academy.

We get..... Hugo Hall-Kahan.

Jimitron5000
1st June 2022, 08:17 PM
Hope he goes well as we have just drafted him!

bloodspirit
1st June 2022, 08:18 PM
Ranked 7th by Chris Doerre.

Considered to be versatile with an unclear best position.

longmile
1st June 2022, 08:23 PM
Sounds like a decent, but very raw, forward (kicked 11 goals in 4 games in the NAB league) and only 18 years of age. More of a long term than short term prospect

Ludwig
1st June 2022, 08:34 PM
I'm surprised that Mutaz El Nour wasn't selected. He looked pretty good when he played against us in the VFL. Someone to consider in the regulars drafts later this year.

HHK looks a good selection. He could offer another medium forward option in lieu of players like Bell and Stephens, who haven't progressed the way we might have hoped for. It's a shot in the dark, but looks a decent shot.

1st June 2022, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a decent, but very raw, forward (kicked 11 goals in 4 games in the NAB league) and only 18 years of age. More of a long term than short term prospect

This is a free hit. Taken what looks like a very talented and determined player who has battled injury. Still only 18, plenty of time to grow into his body in a professional environment.

Loved the Dandenong write up on him, sounds like a ripping lad.

I assume Dodoro won this MSD?

AB Swannie
1st June 2022, 08:40 PM
Very Swans pick - someone who has heaps of room for improvement due to overcoming injury or bursting on the scene late. Think Gus Sheldrick and Justin McInerney.

Aaron
1st June 2022, 08:49 PM
Hugo Hall-Kahan is on a 18-month contract and so plenty of time to develop.

bloodspirit
1st June 2022, 08:51 PM
He's clearly a 'best available' pick rather than a pick for needs. I like that.

1st June 2022, 08:53 PM
Hugo Hall-Kahan is on a 18-month contract and so plenty of time to develop.

SEVEN potential mid-season draftees have nominated 18-month contracts and one has put extra terms on his head as the full list of nominations has been distributed to clubs ahead of next week's draft.

More than 200 players have nominated for next Wednesday's NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft, with clubs informed that a small group of players have lodged terms that will see them automatically signed until the end of 2023 if they are selected.

They are Jai Culley, Kallan Dawson, Hugo Hall-Kahan, Max Ramsden, Jacob Bauer, James Blanck and former Gold Coast midfielder Jacob Dawson.

So only 7 players nominated 18 month contracts and we were happy to oblige so we see plenty in Hugo to commit to that. St.Kilda BF not happy as they tried to sneak him in the NGA door last draft but AFL denied their attempt.

Ludwig
1st June 2022, 09:15 PM
Will we have Hugomania on RWO? Ludwig is ready.

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.2581482374.4081/ssrco,classic_tee,two_models,fafafa:ca443f4786,fro nt,square_three_quarter,1000x1000.jpg

Scottee
1st June 2022, 09:36 PM
Hugo's the Boss.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

Bloods05
1st June 2022, 09:45 PM
Hugo's the Boss.

Didn't they make Nazi uniforms?

neilfws
1st June 2022, 10:17 PM
We get..... Hugo Hall-Kahan.

First Swans hyphen since Dennis-Lane I believe?

TheBloods
1st June 2022, 10:32 PM
Good pick up , we are light on in that area

Scottee
1st June 2022, 10:43 PM
If any body finds some video of him, please share a link.

i'm-uninformed2
1st June 2022, 10:45 PM
Haven’t seen him in action obviously, but like the description: we need to keep building high impact talent on our list, so if his upside prevails, a good chance to take.

Industrial Fan
1st June 2022, 10:52 PM
I believe I will call him Dirty Harry (Callaghan)

Ludwig
2nd June 2022, 01:36 AM
I think Freo has won the Mid Season draft. Check out the highlights for Sebit Kuek on Freo's AFL website.

Official AFL Website of the Fremantle Dockers (https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/)

liz
2nd June 2022, 01:58 AM
I think Freo has won the Mid Season draft. Check out the highlights for Sebit Kuek on Freo's AFL website.

With the proviso that it is just a highlights reel, he certainly makes it all look very easy, doesn't he. Moves oh-so-smoothly and his kicking looks effortless.

2nd June 2022, 08:31 AM
Always got to laugh at the Winner/Loser articles that appear, within minutes it seems, of trade periods and drafts being completed.

A look at the scribes winners and losers a few years down the track would show a different picture.

The great Dodoro, always a trade week/fortnight winner might look a whole lot less great a few years after his winning was proclaimed!

We are never winners because we don't get the hyped high picks but instead quietly go about turning mid/late picks and rookies into gems.

In my own backyard, Crows were declared winners five years ago getting draft steal Darcy Fogarty at a measly pick 12 and what about the great pick 9/pick 14 pair of Chase Jones and Ned McHenry four years back or pick 6 on Fischer McAsey? I quietly chuckle about the Crows "winning" drafts.

dejavoodoo44
2nd June 2022, 10:31 AM

A bit reminiscent of another number 23. I assume that the knock on him, was that at 75kg, he may have been considered a bit fragile for AFL. But of course, for the bigger boys to hurt him, they have to catch him.

dejavoodoo44
2nd June 2022, 10:35 AM
Always got to laugh at the Winner/Loser articles that appear, within minutes it seems, of trade periods and drafts being completed.

A look at the scribes winners and losers a few years down the track would show a different picture.

The great Dodoro, always a trade week/fortnight winner might look a whole lot less great a few years after his winning was proclaimed!

We are never winners because we don't get the hyped high picks but instead quietly go about turning mid/late picks and rookies into gems.

In my own backyard, Crows were declared winners five years ago getting draft steal Darcy Fogarty at a measly pick 12 and what about the great pick 9/pick 14 pair of Chase Jones and Ned McHenry four years back or pick 6 on Fischer McAsey? I quietly chuckle about the Crows "winning" drafts.

Yes, they're largely opinion 99%, evidence 1%.

Faunac8
2nd June 2022, 10:40 AM
In my opinion a defender would have been a priority but from what I have read the number of quality options available was limited.
Hugo is a good pick for us with plenty of upside given how little football he has played over the last few years. As someone said almost a free hit for us.
Interesting that some of the reviews of him mentioned that he has some potential as an attacking defender and I wonder if this is a possible option for us in drafting him ?
We have had some success previously in turning forwards into defenders 😀
Shout out to Heath, Ted and now Paddy as examples.

Faunac8
2nd June 2022, 10:43 AM
First Swans hyphen since Dennis-Lane I believe?
LRT says hello I mean he was nicknamed the Hyphenator by some 😀

rb4x
2nd June 2022, 12:10 PM
And Tom

liz
2nd June 2022, 12:15 PM
And Tom

And Leo before them all.

stevoswan
2nd June 2022, 01:38 PM
Here's an article on HHK

Always injured to mid-season draft prospect: ex-Haileyburian's journey | Dandenong Star Journal (https://dandenong.starcommunity.com.au/news/2022-05-20/always-injured-to-mid-season-draft-prospect-ex-haileyburians-journey/)

Reading that, I can see why the Swans picked him. He has character. We probably had Bauer in mind but once Richmond swooped on him, HHK was probably a gimme.

stevoswan
2nd June 2022, 01:46 PM

Looks the complete package.

2nd June 2022, 02:35 PM
Reading that, I can see why the Swans picked him. He has character. We probably had Bauer in mind but once Richmond swooped on him, HHK was probably a gimme.

We could have had Bauer for free as a rookie after the 2021 season but passed. I assume we would review how we rated him a pass but that he's been picked up only a handful of games later. Lessons always being learned of course.

Be interesting to know if Bauer was a target for us. It seems HHK was likely the Saints target, they opened up a spot hours before the draft then passed on having a selection. Saints tried to get HHK via the NGA last draft but AFL knocked them back from listing him as an NGA. Thank goodness starting from this years ND, the AFL has embargoed the NGA rort from the first 40 picks.

Mr Magoo
2nd June 2022, 03:54 PM
We could have had Bauer for free as a rookie after the 2021 season but passed. I assume we would review how we rated him a pass but that he's been picked up only a handful of games later. Lessons always being learned of course.

Be interesting to know if Bauer was a target for us. It seems HHK was likely the Saints target, they opened up a spot hours before the draft then passed on having a selection. Saints tried to get HHK via the NGA last draft but AFL knocked them back from listing him as an NGA. Thank goodness starting from this years ND, the AFL has embargoed the NGA rort from the first 40 picks.

I reckon swans underrated Bauer last year. In my opinion was the best tall in the academy games last year but was then overlooked for allies selection for others around him . Great mark who takes ball at its peak , good leap which overcomes him being slightly shorter than many of his peer group and a really nice kick at goal. Also plays well in key defense roles as well.

Ruck'n'Roll
2nd June 2022, 05:11 PM
Presumably we reviewed our decision to pass on Luke Breust as well. No clubs recruiting can be 100%, but our guys to extremely well, especially with late national and rookie draft picks.

bloodspirit
2nd June 2022, 05:20 PM

I like it!
😁

SeanM
2nd June 2022, 06:09 PM
I think it was the best we did not draft Bauer.

I didn't want there to be a situation where we overlooked him once, he goes to SA and plays well enough to attract interest from multiple AFL clubs. Then we draft him and he sits in our reserves for 2 seasons because we have Heeney and Hayward ahead of him.

I feel he is probably going to get more opportunity at Richmond.

Faunac8
2nd June 2022, 06:17 PM

Very impressive highlights reel he looks like he can clunk a mark has a great kick on him and has some pretty good moves at ground level.
However he doesn’t play for us so I am now looking forward to one of the Mac Attacks cleaning him up ( legitimately) in a marking contest when he plays against us.
I do love the athleticism and wow factor that the African / Australian players are bringing to the game.
By 2030 I predict at least 10 % of AFL Players will share that heritage and like our First Nations players we will embrace the unique skill set they bring to the game for us as spectators.

Jimitron5000
2nd June 2022, 06:54 PM
Bauer going to Richmond gives us the opportunity to recruit someone from another club, citing the go home factor. We did it with Nick Davis, but can't remember any others.

liz
2nd June 2022, 07:17 PM
Bauer going to Richmond gives us the opportunity to recruit someone from another club, citing the go home factor. We did it with Nick Davis, but can't remember any others.

Tippett :smile:

neilfws
2nd June 2022, 09:17 PM
LRT says hello I mean he was nicknamed the Hyphenator by some 😀

Sure was! And predated Dennis-Lane by several years as I recall :)

Faunac8
2nd June 2022, 09:51 PM
Sure was! And predated Dennis-Lane by several years as I recall :)
Yes that’s true he was selected by us before him but LRT played on with us for us a couple of years after TDL was traded to the Saints .
I think that’s probably why I overlooked him and to be honest LRT had a slightly more memorable Swans career.

ugg
2nd June 2022, 09:51 PM
The first hyphenated Swan I remember watching was SMC

Faunac8
2nd June 2022, 10:03 PM
The first hyphenated Swan I remember watching was SMC
Ah yes he was a little flicker of positivity during those dark days in the early 90’s
Only played in 4 wins in 46 games over 3 seasons but still kicked 169 goals for us.
He was a pretty accurate kick and served us well until a bloke called Tony came to play for us.

Jimitron5000
2nd June 2022, 10:08 PM
Tippett :smile:

Ah yes, Kurt had a tenuous understanding of geography.

Minton-Connell was a highly underrated footballer.

Meg
2nd June 2022, 10:14 PM
Ah yes, Kurt had a tenuous understanding of geography.

Unfair. He simply had a few-years stopover. He’s home in the Gold Coast now.

ugg
3rd June 2022, 09:12 AM
I can only think of one other hyphenated Swan DRJ. Which makes a total of 4 along with SMC LRT and TDL. It’s quite a small number considering North Melbourne could play 3 in their side this year with LDU JHF and CCJ

Edit: and of course the newest one HHK

Faunac8
3rd June 2022, 11:29 AM
I can only think of one other hyphenated Swan DRJ. Which makes a total of 4 along with SMC LRT and TDL. It’s quite a small number considering North Melbourne could play 3 in their side this year with LDU JHF and CCJ

Edit: and of course the newest one HHK
And didn’t we love it when Rhys-Jones went to Carlton. I seem to recall he copped a bit when he played for them against us.

stevoswan
3rd June 2022, 11:36 AM
And didn’t we love it when Rhys-Jones went to Carlton. I seem to recall he copped a bit when he played for them against us.

Got hit by a Diesel truck!

Markwebbos
3rd June 2022, 12:08 PM
Is there a maximum number of mcs, macs and hyphens that can play in one team?

neilfws
3rd June 2022, 01:28 PM
Is there a maximum number of mcs, macs and hyphens that can play in one team?

I'm happy to report that with the acquisition of Hall-Kahan, the Swans jump into the lead for combined Mcs + Macs + Hyphens!

Update: had to edit the Essendon numbers, thanks to the retirement of McDonald-Tipungwuti which loses both a Mc and a hyphen.

https://i.postimg.cc/NGRD9jZG/silly.png (https://postimages.org/)

ugg
3rd June 2022, 01:29 PM
I'm happy to report that with the acquisition of Hall-Kahan, the Swans jump into the lead for combined Mcs + Macs + Hyphens!

https://i.postimg.cc/BnSqFt6x/silly.png (https://postimages.org/)

What if you include the O’s (COR and BOC)?

neilfws
3rd June 2022, 01:58 PM
What if you include the O’s (COR and BOC)?

Ah, well then we are way out in front, and now all 18 teams are represented as 3 of them have O's but nothing else.

Alright, I probably derailed the thread enough.

https://i.postimg.cc/GmCrvKL8/silly2.png