PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Paddy McCartin

sharp9
10th July 2022, 03:38 PM
As a few have noted, the commentators last night pointed out that “Our Paddy” leads all-comers for intercept marks…by a stretch. And yet whenever any All-Australian talk comes around, neither he nor Tommy are even mentioned. Why is this? It’s mental. It’s always May, Lever, Grimes, etc…or the single most over-rated player in the history of the AFL Tom “what’s an opponent?” Stewart. But I’m pretty sure that if a couple of AFL Coaches were playing “your pick, my pick” in the school yard, that those two would go first. Particularly because Paddy (and Tommy) have those huge numbers WHILST PLAYING ON ACTUAL 1ST AND 2ND KEY FORWARDS. It’s crazy. Also while I’m on AA form. Heeney does get a mention from time to time but not one commentator mentions Buddy. Same scenario, on current form, you are choosing The Budster over Cameron, Naughton, Curnow, Hawkins or any of the others. Am I right or am I deluded by my RW eye patch? What more does Blakey have to do to at least get a top 40 mention. He’s the most exciting runner in the game bar none, and yet you’ll only hear talk of Saad etc. Also Serong, McGrath, and that bloke from Carlton are good, but the Chad is first pick for super young midfielders. #showsomerespectaflmedia

MattW
10th July 2022, 04:13 PM
As a few have noted, the commentators last night pointed out that “Our Paddy” leads all-comers for intercept marks…by a stretch. And yet whenever any All-Australian talk comes around, neither he nor Tommy are even mentioned. Why is this? It’s mental. It’s always May, Lever, Grimes, etc…or the single most over-rated player in the history of the AFL Tom “what’s an opponent?” Stewart. But I’m pretty sure that if a couple of AFL Coaches were playing “your pick, my pick” in the school yard, that those two would go first. Particularly because Paddy (and Tommy) have those huge numbers WHILST PLAYING ON ACTUAL 1ST AND 2ND KEY FORWARDS. It’s crazy. Also while I’m on AA form. Heeney does get a mention from time to time but not one commentator mentions Buddy. Same scenario, on current form, you are choosing The Budster over Cameron, Naughton, Curnow, Hawkins or any of the others. Am I right or am I deluded by my RW eye patch? What more does Blakey have to do to at least get a top 40 mention. He’s the most exciting runner in the game bar none, and yet you’ll only hear talk of Saad etc. Also Serong, McGrath, and that bloke from Carlton are good, but the Chad is first pick for super young midfielders. #showsomerespectaflmedia

Kane Cornes, a first-time All-Australian selector this year, noted Paddy was in All-Australian contention during The Round So Far video published overnight on the AFL official site.

Markwebbos
10th July 2022, 05:36 PM
#ItsBetterToFlyUnderTheRadar

Nico
10th July 2022, 08:41 PM
Most intercept marks in the comp, reads the play perfectly, a beautiful kick and he is prepared to back himself and move up the ground to pick off defensive kicks by the opposition.

Barret said this morning on The Footy Show that Chad is already a star of the comp. If he keeps up his form how can he be ignored.

Maltopia
11th July 2022, 12:38 AM
Paddy recognised in the Nine Things We Learnt article on the AFL site.

Nine things we learned: The Saints weren't wrong about this Swan (https://www.afl.com.au/news/795159/nine-things-we-learned-the-saints-weren-t-wrong-about-this-swan)

RogueSwan
11th July 2022, 09:25 AM
...Same scenario, on current form, you are choosing The Budster over Cameron, Naughton, Curnow, Hawkins or any of the others. Am I right or am I deluded by my RW eye patch? ...
I would take Curnow over Buddy right now.

Nico
11th July 2022, 11:45 AM
Curnow is the best forward in the game for mine. I won't forget that goal he kicked against us at Marvel from outside 50 rather nonchalantly. Just tapped it onto his boot.

bloodspirit
11th July 2022, 01:28 PM
I would take Curnow over Buddy right now.

Without question once you factor in their respective ages. For the same reason I would trade Buddy for McKay, Naughton or either of the Kings in a heartbeat. None of them are better than Buddy but they have a lot more time left in the game (one hopes).

Ludwig
11th July 2022, 02:54 PM
Without question once you factor in their respective ages. For the same reason I would trade Buddy for McKay, Naughton or either of the Kings in a heartbeat. None of them are better than Buddy but they have a lot more time left in the game (one hopes). Perfectly summarized. Buddy has been the best, but Curnow is the best now.

Thunder Shaker
14th July 2022, 11:36 AM
No.1 in intercept marks: Inspired move has rejuvenated Swan in AA contention (https://www.afl.com.au/news/798693/no-1-in-this-stat-inspired-move-has-rejuvenated-swan-in-aa-contention)

giant
15th July 2022, 11:43 AM
Strikes me that Paddy's contract negotiations are going to be interesting. Pretty certain he was signed for a year on minimal dollars. Elite interceptors earn elite dollars (think May, Lever, McGovern) and I assume Paddy will be looking to make up for lost earning time. I get the emotional arguments for him to accept less, but in theory he would have grounds for a 4-5 year contract at $600K+. I suspect the Swans would like to pay him a lot less than that.

The list management team will earn their keep over the next few years.

bloodspirit
15th July 2022, 11:58 PM
Fair point.

Nico
16th July 2022, 06:24 PM
Strikes me that Paddy's contract negotiations are going to be interesting. Pretty certain he was signed for a year on minimal dollars. Elite interceptors earn elite dollars (think May, Lever, McGovern) and I assume Paddy will be looking to make up for lost earning time. I get the emotional arguments for him to accept less, but in theory he would have grounds for a 4-5 year contract at $600K+. I suspect the Swans would like to pay him a lot less than that.

The list management team will earn their keep over the next few years.

I don't think the club would balk at 600K. Positive they see the value in him. He is absolutely a pillar of the side.

liz
26th July 2022, 07:00 PM
Just in case people haven't seen the trailers, Fox Footy is airing an interview with Paddy this evening. I think Garry Lyon is the interviewer. I believe Lyon is a family friend of the McCartins so it might get a little cringey (in the sense of people letting their personal relationships infiltrate a professional presentation).

The first airing is 6.30pm this evening but I daresay it will be repeated later. And for those without access to Fox Footy, there's a decent chance that the interview will be available on the club website later in the week.

Faunac8
26th July 2022, 08:09 PM
Great interview he is an impressive young man who has overcome many obstacles. Main takeaways from the interview for me were
Toms house mates Logan and Dylan are epic characters 😀
Owned his suspension had no excuse but diabetes was a possible reason for the brain snap.
Diabetes has been challenge for whole life and something that he has had to factor into his career
Playing with Tom highlight of his career and dream come true
Coming to Sydney was one of the best things he has ever done career wise and the club has been very supportive
Hawthorn head knock a earlier this season created more pressure for him than it actually warranted .
Horse one of the great men in footy but he thinks he likes his middle brother ( I think it’s Charley ) more than him and Tom
Bloods culture is real and important and hard to describe when viewed from the outside.

longmile
26th July 2022, 08:37 PM
Just in case people haven't seen the trailers, Fox Footy is airing an interview with Paddy this evening. I think Garry Lyon is the interviewer. I believe Lyon is a family friend of the McCartins so it might get a little cringey (in the sense of people letting their personal relationships infiltrate a professional presentation).

The first airing is 6.30pm this evening but I daresay it will be repeated later. And for those without access to Fox Footy, there's a decent chance that the interview will be available on the club website later in the week.

On a particular show? Wondering if I can rewatch with Kayo

Goal Sneak
26th July 2022, 08:42 PM
On a particular show? Wondering if I can rewatch with Kayo

Yes, I saw it on Kayo earlier, just search "Face to Face" if it's not on the main screen

longmile
26th July 2022, 09:13 PM
Yes, I saw it on Kayo earlier, just search "Face to Face" if it's not on the main screen

Got it! Cheers!

Captain
26th July 2022, 09:38 PM
Agree re Paddy and Tom. Buddy is so far from AA selection it isn't funny.