PDA

View Full Version : Team List Qualifying Final vs Melbourne, at MCG on Friday 2 September, 7.50pm AEST

Maltopia
21st August 2022, 11:31 PM
Can't wait for the game!

We finished poorly vs St Kilda, but would have had plenty of time to regroup.

We have won seven? on the trot and it is hard to change a winning team but...

McInerney like Samson has lost all his power since his locks were shaven, and maybe he should go back into the 2s until he regrows his hair?

Wicks was awful as the sub. Clarke was not that effective against Sinclair tonight after a fumbly performance last week as well.

Hickey had a poorer game too, whilst Ladhams had 28 possessions in the VFL.

I think everyone else played well enough in patches (or throughout the match, e.g. Rowbottom, Hayward and Stephens) to keep their spot.

We are expecting Papley to be back to full fitness by Friday week.

So I would be ok with Cunningham coming in for McInerney, as he has the quickness to play on Pickett, and Campbell being the sub. If JMac stays, then Cunningham as sub. As for Clarke, I am not sure there is an obvious opponent for him given how tall the Melbourne defence is, nor am I sure of who would replace him, given Wicks was poor, and Bell has not been able to put in a convincing game as a forward. How was Ronke in the 2s this week?

troyjones2525
21st August 2022, 11:59 PM
If Clarke stays (which I suspect he does considering our winning ways) I reckon he should play on Brayshaw who has been pretty damaging as a half back this year.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Markwebbos
22nd August 2022, 12:31 AM
If Clarke stays (which I suspect he does considering our winning ways) I reckon he should play on Brayshaw who has been pretty damaging as a half back this year.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

They’ve moved Brayshaw on ball since he signed the new contract (I think the two are related)

Ludwig
22nd August 2022, 01:44 AM

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk The outside player that needs tagging is Ed Langdon, who usually plays through the midfield. I'm not sure if Clarke is that good a matchup on him. Langdon is very quick.

I doubt that we will drop Clarke. He could play on Hunt or Salem, who is likely to return for the finals.

One option is to replace Clarke with Cunningham, who would play on Pickett. Robbie Fox can play on the wing and tag Langdon. I doubt if this will happen, but they seem better matchups to me.

Harmes has been an effective tagger and is a good chance to take on Chad this time. If this happens, we could try swapping roles of Chad and Heeney to break the tag.

It's going to be a tough game. Pressure, high energy and taking the game on is our only way to break them. Our skills will have to be sharp.

WomblingFree
22nd August 2022, 09:14 AM
I did not feel Wicks had a good game and I’d swap him with Campbell as Med-sub as my only change

royboy42
22nd August 2022, 09:19 AM
Can't wait for the game!

We finished poorly vs St Kilda, but would have had plenty of time to regroup.

We have won seven? on the trot and it is hard to change a winning team but...

McInerney like Samson has lost all his power since his locks were shaven, and maybe he should go back into the 2s until he regrows his hair?

Wicks was awful as the sub. Clarke was not that effective against Sinclair tonight after a fumbly performance last week as well.

Hickey had a poorer game too, whilst Ladhams had 28 possessions in the VFL.

I think everyone else played well enough in patches (or throughout the match, e.g. Rowbottom, Hayward and Stephens) to keep their spot.

We are expecting Papley to be back to full fitness by Friday week.

So I would be ok with Cunningham coming in for McInerney, as he has the quickness to play on Pickett, and Campbell being the sub. If JMac stays, then Cunningham as sub. As for Clarke, I am not sure there is an obvious opponent for him given how tall the Melbourne defence is, nor am I sure of who would replace him, given Wicks was poor, and Bell has not been able to put in a convincing game as a forward. How was Ronke in the 2s this week?

I suspect Papley will not be available due 12 day break compulsory after concussion.
Game needs to be played after midnight on that Friday.
Hope I'm wrong with this.
Have now checked the AFL concussion rule.
He can resume on the 12th day after the cocussion, which is the Friday.
Yea!!Under the Guidelines, the earliest that an AFL or AFLW player can return to play after a concussion is on the 12th day after the day on which the concussion was suffered (noting that in some instances a longer period of recovery and rehabilitation will be needed).

RogueSwan
22nd August 2022, 10:10 AM
I'm expecting a big game out of Parker, he rarely has two quiet(ish) games in a row.

They’ve moved Brayshaw on ball since he signed the new contract (I think the two are related)

Wasn't he tagging Lachie Neal on Friday night? Clarke to tag the tagger?

I wouldn't mind Harry coming in for Clarke but is that too big a step up, in pace and intensity, from VFL to AFL finals?

Will Salem be back for the finals? That would be the obvious match-up for Clarke, wouldn't it?

TheBloods
22nd August 2022, 12:16 PM
Some duds in yesterdays team we cant take into a final or we will get blown away by 10 goals . Top of the list Wicks !

22nd August 2022, 01:10 PM
I did not feel Wicks had a good game and I’d swap him with Campbell as Med-sub as my only change

Wicks will definitely be on his bike back to the 2's

Ludwig
22nd August 2022, 01:47 PM
I don't think a Clarke tagging role will work against Melbourne. They don't depend on a rebounding defender to generate offense. They are very even on the outside. Trying to stop one player won't do much, perhaps with the exception of Ed Langdon, who has been in excellent form this year.

Melbourne are very dangerous with the ball at ground level in their forward line. They have so many players who can bob up and kick a goal, much like us. We need to focus on some of those matchups, like Fritsch and Pickett.

barracuda
22nd August 2022, 05:26 PM
Wicks will definitely be on his bike back to the 2's

You guys love your whipping boys. Wicks played about 40 minutes after not playing seniors for ages. He had 8, yes 8 contested possessions (equal with Mills) and 4 tackles. He was a bit rusty and made some errors but the silly stuff is long gone.

He was tough and courageous and landed some crunching tackles. Clarke on the other hand just trotted around getting a bath from Sinclair. In the end they had the same numbers. (except in contested ball)

Before you start arguing watch the second half again and concentrate on wicks.

Baa Baa to you all

AB Swannie
22nd August 2022, 05:50 PM
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure McInerney ran with Ed Langdon last time. Given Juzzy’s form, a clear defensive role might be good.

Clarke stays in for me and goes to Salem. We are still undefeated this year with him in the team. We don’t need more offence.

22nd August 2022, 07:18 PM
You guys love your whipping boys. Wicks played about 40 minutes after not playing seniors for ages. He had 8, yes 8 contested possessions (equal with Mills) and 4 tackles. He was a bit rusty and made some errors but the silly stuff is long gone.

He was tough and courageous and landed some crunching tackles. Clarke on the other hand just trotted around getting a bath from Sinclair. In the end they had the same numbers. (except in contested ball)

Baa Baa to you all

I have been a supporter of Wicks but his ill discipline this year (not yesterday) and his ordinary form yesterday mean he doesn't get my vote (FWIW!) for a spot in the team. I think we have better options

TheBloods
22nd August 2022, 07:20 PM
What was Clarke doing yesterday !

mcs
22nd August 2022, 07:34 PM

Baa Baa to you allMy worry with Wicks is this year he hasn't done much in front of goals, and his kicking for goal from set shots in particular hasn't been good enough.

I wouldn't have him in the 22, but if he is there it won't be lack of effort if he doesn't have a positive influence.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

Swanny40519
22nd August 2022, 07:35 PM
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure McInerney ran with Ed Langdon last time. Given Juzzy’s form, a clear defensive role might be good.

Clarke stays in for me and goes to Salem. We are still undefeated this year with him in the team. We don’t need more offence.

Gee looking at the way the Demons destroyed Lions we will need all the offence we can get. They are very fast and move the ball quickly.

Clarke and Wicks out. Campbell/Cunningham and Ladhams in - Gawn and particularly Jackson were too strong and mobile for the opposition. I am a bit nervous when Gawn goes forward as Tom McC has had a couple of ordinary games recently.

mcs
22nd August 2022, 07:39 PM
Gee looking at the way the Demons destroyed Lions we will need all the offence we can get. They are very fast and move the ball quickly.

Clarke and Wicks out. Campbell and Ladhams in - Gawn and particularly Jackson were too strong and mobile for the opposition. I am a bit nervous when Gawn goes forward as Tom McC has had a couple of ordinary games recently.We need to be disciplined and patient in possession. They move the ball quickly but if we limit their ability to move quickly on the turnover, we can get the game on our terms.

It will need great pressure up forward and good ball use (ie don't kick long to Gawn every 5 seconds). Collectively as a team we have the tools to do it. Can we execute it in a final - we will just have to find out.

MattW
22nd August 2022, 08:41 PM
My worry with Wicks is this year he hasn't done much in front of goals, and his kicking for goal from set shots in particular hasn't been good enough.

I wouldn't have him in the 22, but if he is there it won't be lack of effort if he doesn't have a positive influence.

Agreed. He has 4.4 in 10 games, which is a substandard return for a small forward His pressure is excellent, but doesn't add enough in attack.

He's down on last year. Fewer possessions (down from 11 to 9), goals (down from 0.8 to 0.4) and tackles (down from 4 to 2.5) per game. His discipline has worsened (down from -0.3 frees per game to -1.3 frees per game).

Clarke's stats this year are pretty much identical to Wicks's. Clarke brings the shut-down role and Wicks brings that general pressure. Both are flawed options, as are Ronke and Bell. We've tried them all this year and understandably the selection committee hasn't really been convinced by any.

gloveski
22nd August 2022, 08:45 PM

Clarke and Wicks out. Campbell/Cunningham and Ladhams in - Gawn and particularly Jackson were too strong and mobile for the opposition. I am a bit nervous when Gawn goes forward as Tom McC has had a couple of ordinary games recently.

You only really have Clarke going out as Wicks was Sub .
Can only see Ladhams replacing a tall and he certainly won’t play as Sub .

Can definitely see Cunningham coming in to play on Kozi , that would mean Florent might push up to a wing to play on Langdon and Mills back in the middle .
Clarke might have to make way for that change .

Clarke /Campbell/ Wicks/Ronke as sub .

Can’t see a spot for Ladhams as it might make us to top heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcs
22nd August 2022, 09:11 PM
Agreed. He has 4.4 in 10 games, which is a substandard return for a small forward His pressure is excellent, but doesn't add enough in attack.

He's down on last year. Fewer possessions (down from 11 to 9), goals (down from 0.8 to 0.4) and tackles (down from 4 to 2.5) per game. His discipline has worsened (down from -0.3 frees per game to -1.3 frees per game).

Clarke's stats this year are pretty much identical to Wicks's. Clarke brings the shut-down role and Wicks brings that general pressure. Both are flawed options, as are Ronke and Bell. We've tried them all this year and understandably the selection committee hasn't really been convinced by any.

I thought Ronke played okay but wasn't given a lot of an opportunity when he did play. But there are challenges for all.

Whoever we pick, we need them to fulfill their role and do their bit on the big stage. Their role is every bit as important as the superstars at the other end of our 22.

Ludwig
23rd August 2022, 12:38 AM
Ronke can go out of games and not contribute much if he's not kicking goals. He's had some big possession games for a small forward in the VFL. On the plus side, he does have an uncanny knack for finding goals. I don't think Ronke hurts our side when he's in the seniors. He also allows Heeney and Papley more time up the ground as Ben is serious goal kicking threat.

bloodspirit
23rd August 2022, 02:18 AM
You only really have Clarke going out as Wicks was Sub .
Can only see Ladhams replacing a tall and he certainly won’t play as Sub .

Can definitely see Cunningham coming in to play on Kozi , that would mean Florent might push up to a wing to play on Langdon and Mills back in the middle .
Clarke might have to make way for that change .

Clarke /Campbell/ Wicks/Ronke as sub .

Can’t see a spot for Ladhams as it might make us to top heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post.

I agree with MattW too. I did not like Wicks' game against the Saints. Was ill disciplined and too gung ho with his pressure. Conversely was not composed with the ball in hand and butchered a straightforward shot at goal. I'd prefer Bell or Ronke - but none of them are ideal. Which is why I see merit in gloveski's suggestion of bringing Cunningham back and pushing Florent up to the wing. The issue with that is that we want to maintain and build the chemistry with the defensive set-up and I'm not sure if now is the time to be messing with it.

barracuda
23rd August 2022, 08:11 AM
Good post.

I agree with MattW too. I did not like Wicks' game against the Saints. Was ill disciplined and too gung ho with his pressure. Conversely was not composed with the ball in hand and butchered a straightforward shot at goal. I'd prefer Bell or Ronke - but none of them are ideal. Which is why I see merit in gloveski's suggestion of bringing Cunningham back and pushing Florent up to the wing. The issue with that is that we want to maintain and build the chemistry with the defensive set-up and I'm not sure if now is the time to be messing with it.

Seriously, ill disciplined and gung ho! Please provide specifics or you have just proved my point.

Buzz13
23rd August 2022, 01:05 PM
Seriously, ill disciplined and gung ho! Please provide specifics or you have just proved my point.

Was def Ill disciplined - had just won a free kick on the wing and went after the player that gave the free kick away. Was surprised it wasn't reversed...something upset him but he has form in those brain fades.

23rd August 2022, 01:47 PM
Was def Ill disciplined - had just won a free kick on the wing and went after the player that gave the free kick away. Was surprised it wasn't reversed...something upset him but he has form in those brain fades.

It’s only really a brain fade if it’s out of character for how he goes about the bulk of his play. Wicks always seems to be throwing his not so ample mass around, trying to intimidate those who aren’t really intimidated by him. He’s given away his fair share of stupid frees and had decisions reversed. He has history of this.

barracuda
23rd August 2022, 02:51 PM
Buzz13, are you serious. He just got smashed in the head resulting in Ben Long getting reported. The umpire kept saying "i've reported him". When finals start it is going to be very physical. It always is. I love Wicks spirit and courage. If you watch his last 6 games with the VFL there is no ill discipline just serious and controlled intent. In the game against St Kilda Wicks came on when half the side had gone to sleep. He absolutely cracked in and created enormous pressure, tackles and turnovers. He made some mistakes as did a number of players in the side. So far none of you have watched the last half to concentrate on his contribution. When the physicality of finals come around just watch the likes of Clarke melt away. Winning finals is going to be about who wants it more. That is always the case.

Roadrunner
23rd August 2022, 03:06 PM
Buzz13, are you serious. He just got smashed in the head resulting in Ben Long getting reported. The umpire kept saying "i've reported him". When finals start it is going to be very physical. It always is. I love Wicks spirit and courage. If you watch his last 6 games with the VFL there is no ill discipline just serious and controlled intent. In the game against St Kilda Wicks came on when half the side had gone to sleep. He absolutely cracked in and created enormous pressure, tackles and turnovers. He made some mistakes as did a number of players in the side. So far none of you have watched the last half to concentrate on his contribution. When the physicality of finals come around just watch the likes of Clarke melt away. Winning finals is going to be about who wants it more. That is always the case.

I’ve not rated Wicks when many here thought he was doing a job for the team with his pressure. Barra, if you think his game against the Saints was ok, your expectations of a player in a top 4 side is pretty low. I’m not saying Clarke was much better but his first 5 games coming back were. For me, neither are good enough and I would rather have Harry or Braeden in the team, with whoever misses out as sub. Maybe the MC will not want to change a winning team, but we need the best players in a final so let’s go with one of those two.

Buzz13
23rd August 2022, 03:15 PM

Yeah I agree he had reason to be aggro, but just saying he has a short fuse and in a low scoring finals grind a goal from a silly reversal or similar could be disaster. Apart from his shank on goal I thought he did ok as sub from 1/2 a match.

stevoswan
23rd August 2022, 05:28 PM
We need to be disciplined and patient in possession. They move the ball quickly but if we limit their ability to move quickly on the turnover, we can get the game on our terms.

Agree.....like we did against Freo.

bandwagon
23rd August 2022, 05:32 PM
Clarke, Wicks, Ronke & Bell have been tried as small forwards and each have strengths and weaknesses. None have really made the position their own (so far). Cunningham or Campbell may well be better footballers, but haven't played that position at AFL or VFL level recently, so how quickly would they pick it up while playing a final? So the MC may well stick with a winning team, perhaps they pick according to match-ups. My preference would be Cunningham - he is quick, disciplined, has decent disposal and heaps of experience playing a shutdown role. Whoever they pick, i hope they play a blinder.

stevoswan
23rd August 2022, 05:33 PM
It’s only really a brain fade if it’s out of character for how he goes about the bulk of his play. Wicks always seems to be throwing his not so ample mass around, trying to intimidate those who aren’t really intimidated by him. He’s given away his fair share of stupid frees and had decisions reversed. He has history of this.

A poor man's Zorko.....faux toughness.

Hotpotato
23rd August 2022, 05:43 PM
Do the others teams (considering our steady improvement in the second half of H&A especially the quiet growth of the youngsters) still under-rate the Swans as an opponent?

Ludwig
23rd August 2022, 05:45 PM
Clarke, Wicks, Ronke & Bell have been tried as small forwards and each have strengths and weaknesses. None have really made the position their own (so far). Cunningham or Campbell may well be better footballers, but haven't played that position at AFL or VFL level recently, so how quickly would they pick it up while playing a final? So the MC may well stick with a winning team, perhaps they pick according to match-ups. My preference would be Cunningham - he is quick, disciplined, has decent disposal and heaps of experience playing a shutdown role. Whoever they pick, i hope they play a blinder.Cunningham has played small forward for us in the AFL before being switched to defender. Campbell played as a forward for the Allies and perhaps for the academy too.

Goal Sneak
23rd August 2022, 06:21 PM
Do the others teams (considering our steady improvement in the second half of H&A especially the quiet growth of the youngsters) still under-rate the Swans as an opponent?

I can't understand why they would? We finished 3rd by a whisker just under the reigning premiers, we've beaten all the best teams this year and have star players across the park. What makes you think they under-rate us?

TheBloods
23rd August 2022, 06:25 PM

No.

They rate us very highly , why do you think they always bring their best against us . Most play like they have nothing to lose against us !

Hotpotato
23rd August 2022, 06:36 PM
I can't understand why they would? We finished 3rd by a whisker just under the reigning premiers, we've beaten all the best teams this year and have star players across the park. What makes you think they under-rate us?

Oh , just that the downside often sticks more than the upside: like that’s the mob that dysfunctional Essendon beat .

Goal Sneak
23rd August 2022, 06:48 PM
Oh , just that the downside often sticks more than the upside: like that’s the mob that dysfunctional Essendon beat .

Any team that underestimates us will do so to their detriment. We're the real deal this year and I would think there wouldn't be any team wanting to come up against us in a final.

Mel_C
23rd August 2022, 08:11 PM
I'm also critical of Wicks when he is undisciplined, however in this case he was smashed in the head so he can be excused for his reaction.

KTigers
23rd August 2022, 09:38 PM

Well I hope so. They can slack off if they want and find themselves six goals down at quarter time.

TheBloods
24th August 2022, 01:10 AM
Longmire on 360 , was raving about Chad and how he will go against the demons midfield . He cant take the smile off his face when he talks about Chad .

A bit like me !

Auntie.Gerald
24th August 2022, 06:43 AM
Our best is good enough against any team

But I always like to contemplate how would you defeat the Swans?

For me I like our backline but you could argue that if Melbourne rotate their talls on us and it is dead even in the midfield battle we will be under too much pressure in a finals game on the MCG.

Gawn and Jackson floating into our back line at a higher frequency is probably our weakest area to counter.

Roadrunner
24th August 2022, 08:40 AM

The Injectors weren’t dysfunctional that day! We played them into a bit of form.😊

Roadrunner
24th August 2022, 08:44 AM
Longmire on 360 , was raving about Chad and how he will go against the demons midfield . He cant take the smile off his face when he talks about Chad .

A bit like me !

Thanks TB- we didn’t know you felt like this about Chad!😊

Agent 86
24th August 2022, 02:19 PM
Our best is good enough against any team…for me I like our backline but you could argue that if Melbourne rotate their talls on us and it is dead even in the midfield battle we will be under too much pressure in a finals game on the MCG.
If they get clearance dominance like Saints we’re in deep do-do.

But… I think the extra week off will be good for us this time around. Our last 2 months have been way beyond what I was expecting, & I can understand us being a bit sloppy in the last game as we’ve had some amazing wins against quality teams & difficult to keep up that effort week-on-week.

Looking forward to a cracking game knowing that a loss won’t be the end of the world.

Kafka's Ghost
24th August 2022, 02:27 PM
The Injectors weren’t dysfunctional that day! We played them into a bit of form.[emoji4]

We kept them in it with awful goal kicking. Should’ve been 42 points in front at 3/4 time.
Not at our best, but should have won comprehensively.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Mel_C
24th August 2022, 08:19 PM

A bit like me !
I remember after the Fremantle game Longmire's reaction when Chad walked into the rooms. He was the last player and the smile on Longmire's face grew bigger and he gave him a huge bear hug! I love watching Longmire react like this because he is normally so reserved.

TheBloods
24th August 2022, 08:38 PM
I remember after the Fremantle game Longmire's reaction when Chad walked into the rooms. He was the last player and the smile on Longmire's face grew bigger and he gave him a huge bear hug! I love watching Longmire react like this because he is normally so reserved.

He is a favourite of Longmires and for good reason . He is a star and will be AA by the end of the night .

i'm-uninformed2
24th August 2022, 08:52 PM
FWIW, Mills finished top 10 in the coaches association award, which I personally rate as the premium award. What a sensational result.

(And for those who speculated in the absence of public results, yes, Rowie polled big votes in the last two rounds.)

TheBloods
24th August 2022, 09:24 PM
FWIW, Mills finished top 10 in the coaches association award, which I personally rate as the premium award. What a sensational result.

(And for those who speculated in the absence of public results, yes, Rowie polled big votes in the last two rounds.)

Isnt it Chad Heeney Mills and Papleys night !

Aaron
24th August 2022, 10:15 PM
R22 Votes:
Sydney v Collingwood 9 Callum Mills (SYD)
8 James Rowbottom (SYD)
5 Josh Daicos (COLL)
5 Paddy McCartin (SYD)
2 Luke Parker (SYD)
1 Lance Franklin (SYD)

R23 Votes:

St Kilda v Sydney 10 Ben Long (STK)
8 Max King (STK)
5 James Rowbottom (SYD)
3 Will Hayward (SYD)
3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
1 Jack Sinclair (STK)

stevoswan
24th August 2022, 11:25 PM
He is a favourite of Longmires and for good reason . He is a star and will be AA by the end of the night .

Maybe next year. Make that likely.

Speaking of Chad: https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1207337/warner-brothers-extend-contracts-with-the-sydney-swans

Hotpotato
25th August 2022, 01:41 PM
Corey Warner will be getting plenty of good advice for his journey ahead from Chad then.

bloodspirit
25th August 2022, 01:42 PM
My thoughts are that only Logan McDonald and Sam Wicks are in any danger of being omitted for the final. I could see them both playing VFL this weekend and fighting for their places, whereas I don't think most of the seniors will be playing in the ressies.

Goal Sneak
25th August 2022, 02:12 PM
My thoughts are that only Logan McDonald and Sam Wicks are in any danger of being omitted for the final. I could see them both playing VFL this weekend and fighting for their places, whereas I don't think most of the seniors will be playing in the ressies.

I really hope Logan retains his spot. He is selfless and all about improving the team performance. His work rate and his footy smarts are his best attributes at this stage, I think he adds a lot to our team.

Matty10
25th August 2022, 07:17 PM
Looking forward to a cracking game knowing that a loss won’t be the end of the world.

It depends how you lose. I would think that Brisbane have scars after their last two encounters with the Dees.

I want us to have a big game, whether we win or lose. But I am definitely nervous.

It is looking like it will be a big crowd, and I imagine it will be a large Melbourne cohort, particularly as they missed out on watching them play in the GF last year. We need to silence their input as early as possible. I really don’t want a close finish with their fans surging them on.

The Dees players and their fans might have the feeling that they are performing for each other this September. I just hope that creates undue pressure from the expectation rather than a confidence that it is their destiny.

We are up against it, but we are also capable of an upset if we don’t wilt to the occasion.

Markwebbos
25th August 2022, 07:22 PM
Don’t we want to win at all costs to avoid the Cats / Tigers / Lions (Feline) side of the draw?

SwanSand
25th August 2022, 08:06 PM
Don’t we want to win at all costs to avoid the Cats / Tigers / Lions (Feline) side of the draw?

Max Gawn was a big factor when we last played. And so was Mays absence. Their forward line looks different with Melksham in there. It will be frenetic at the start. If we are close at nearly halftime we would be close to winning.
Can we avoid their defenders and can we move the ball under defensive pressure without bombing ? If we can, we will win.

Matty10
25th August 2022, 08:06 PM

It’s likely we would have to play one of them to win the flag anyway (although there are also scenarios where we just play those on our side of the draw too - e.g. we could play Melbourne, then Bulldogs and then Melbourne again). Qué será, será.

MattW
25th August 2022, 08:46 PM

I don't see any risk in Logan losing his spot. Since coming last three games he's played well, averaging 10 disposals, 1.25 goals, over 5 score involvements. He's also gotten up the ground nicely. I think his output is clearly superior to his competitors for that position.

On the other hand, Wicks was sub by virtue of it being his turn on the rotation (with Campbell and Ronke). Papley will come back in and Campbell will be sub.

Maltopia
25th August 2022, 08:46 PM
Betting agencies have Melbourne as a heavy favourite, around $1.45 or so.

Melbourne have a very potent midfield that can get the ball into their forward 50 quickly. Then they have the tall marking of Ben Brown, and Gawn/Jackson (whoever is not rucking), and some very accurate chaos ball and on the run goal kickers in Pickett and Fritsch (and they are good set shots too, better than our Sam Reid). They have much more height in the forward line than we have in the McCartins, Rampe and Fox.

Then May (All Australian FB) and Lever with their intercept marking (and Buddy is not a strong pack or overhead mark, and the umpires don't call a lot of the interference on him either).

However, we beat them last time, their form has been inconsistent recently whilst we are in great form, so I am slightly more confident than nervous!

I don't know how the rest of you are going, but eight days is so far away!

RogueSwan
26th August 2022, 10:24 AM
... Can we avoid their defenders and can we move the ball under defensive pressure without bombing ? If we can, we will win.
This is sooo important. We did this against the Aints in the last qtr and our scoring dried up. The lions did it against the Dees and look how that fared

TheBloods
26th August 2022, 11:00 AM
Ha ha , bombing , interesting

Mark26
26th August 2022, 11:35 AM
Ha ha , bombing , interesting

No no, a deliberately ambiguous statement which could be provocative, not so interesting

jono2707
26th August 2022, 12:55 PM
Will to do a job on May perhaps?

The Demons defence works so well when they force teams to bomb it in long and when May has the freedom to clean up said long bombs. Maybe Will will be given the job to keep May occupied.

TheBloods
26th August 2022, 12:58 PM
No no, a deliberately ambiguous statement which could be provocative, not so interesting

Hows it provocative ? It is interesting to me . Who do you think bombs it ? We are a team of great kicks i thought

royboy42
26th August 2022, 01:28 PM
Hows it provocative ? It is interesting to me . Who do you think bombs it ? We are a team of great kicks i thought
Enough!

TheBloods
26th August 2022, 01:38 PM
Enough!

What are you on about . I am confused. Are we a good kicking team or not ? I thought we were but then come in here and everyone thinks we will do nothing but bomb it . I am a nervous supporter but cmon , a bit of faith wouldnt hurt !

Molly dooker
26th August 2022, 01:45 PM

Clarke? Yeah nahhhhhh.

Running, shut down player only. Sorry but he's not a footballer. Cannot dispose of the footy by hand or foot. Goals are by sheer luck.

He will always take that micro moment for the other player to take the ball and not get in first. Bloody frustrating.

He may be able to run with Langdon and negate his influence, that's important but if he could kick and handball effectively........ now I'm dreaming. He's the only weakness.

Gooooooo Swans

KTigers
26th August 2022, 02:14 PM
I don't see any risk in Logan losing his spot. Since coming last three games he's played well, averaging 10 disposals, 1.25 goals, over 5 score involvements. He's also gotten up the ground nicely. I think his output is clearly superior to his competitors for that position.

For sure, he is going fine. There are a few other good players in our forward line. He is only going to get so much of the ball with Bud,
Heeney and Papley all screaming for it. Besides, McDonald is 12 years old or something. His numbers are pretty decent all things
considered and you can't doubt his effort when he doesn't have the ball.

TheBloods
26th August 2022, 03:10 PM
Mcdonald stays in

Mark26
26th August 2022, 03:39 PM

Forgive me for saying so, but given your track record, I thought you were having a go at a particular player.

It seems you were implying that we are a team of great kicks. I'm mistaken and will humbly retract. I'm stoked that I'm wrong.

Goal Sneak
26th August 2022, 03:41 PM
Clarke? Yeah nahhhhhh.

Running, shut down player only. Sorry but he's not a footballer. Cannot dispose of the footy by hand or foot. Goals are by sheer luck.

He will always take that micro moment for the other player to take the ball and not get in first. Bloody frustrating.

He may be able to run with Langdon and negate his influence, that's important but if he could kick and handball effectively........ now I'm dreaming. He's the only weakness.

Gooooooo Swans

While Clarke is probably our least effective user of the ball, to say all his goals are sheer luck is very harsh. He's not in the team to set up or score goals. Any he does provide should be considered a bonus.

He set up Logan with a shot on goal last week with a beautiful forward entry kick, was I dreaming? He is not a weakness, he has been solid in his role and while he has made errors with his disposal, he's not alone.

I think you're expecting too much, they can't all be as silky as Blakey + Errol

barracuda
26th August 2022, 04:13 PM
Goal Sneak, I agree with Molly dooker. Clarke is a bruise free player. To his credit he has absolutely maximized what he has and has a solid role in the team. Ronke, Wicks and Campbell all have way more upside, but none have been able to really harness their talents like Clarke. Ronke is a wonderful crumbing forward with an electric ability to sneak goals. Wicks when he is fully in form can do everything clarke does but also has an ability to be electric and is a hard competitor, Campbell is just elite, silky smooth and always has time. I imagine if any of those three could sort themselves out they would be in the team above clarke any day. But again, full credit to clarke. He has earnt his spot. I do worry though in the tough physical environment of finals whether he can stand up. We saw Sinclair run off him pretty easily last week. Opposition teams will now have studied his tagging approach and will be adjusting.

TheBloods
26th August 2022, 04:16 PM
Forgive me for saying so, but given your track record, I thought you were having a go at a particular player.

It seems you were implying that we are a team of great kicks. I'm mistaken and will humbly retract. I'm stoked that I'm wrong.

Thanks

Are we not a team of great kicks ? We cant have it both ways , Errol , Chad , Blakey, Jmac , Florent, Paddy , Mills, Buddy , Heeney everyone loves their kicking . If we are that good then bombing it to May should be the least of our worries . Getting it in their hands is the problem , how do we do that . Paddy and Blakey getting less of it recently , Chad getting tagged more , Jmac out of form , Florent not getting much of it in the back pocket . These are the ones we need getting the ball in a final and i reckon most of them need to increase their involvement a bit to do that .

Goal Sneak
26th August 2022, 05:06 PM
Goal Sneak, I agree with Molly dooker. Clarke is a bruise free player. To his credit he has absolutely maximized what he has and has a solid role in the team. Ronke, Wicks and Campbell all have way more upside, but none have been able to really harness their talents like Clarke. Ronke is a wonderful crumbing forward with an electric ability to sneak goals. Wicks when he is fully in form can do everything clarke does but also has an ability to be electric and is a hard competitor, Campbell is just elite, silky smooth and always has time. I imagine if any of those three could sort themselves out they would be in the team above clarke any day. But again, full credit to clarke. He has earnt his spot. I do worry though in the tough physical environment of finals whether he can stand up. We saw Sinclair run off him pretty easily last week. Opposition teams will now have studied his tagging approach and will be adjusting.

Clarke gets a tough job every week and he's been very successful. The coaches see and know more than us and they believe he is the best man suited for the task, regardless of how talented players like Campbell are. I see no reason to degrade his performance by stating he cannot kick or handball and that all his goals are sheer luck. It's not true and uncalled for when that's not the reason he's in the team. I'd be more than happy for another player to prove they're more capable but until then, give him the credit he deserves.

i'm-uninformed2
26th August 2022, 05:31 PM
Clarke's a good match for Salem, who doesn't have elite speed but is an an elite kick who opens up space for them.

RogueSwan
26th August 2022, 05:32 PM
Thanks... Are we not a team of great kicks ? We cant have it both ways , Errol , Chad , Blakey, Jmac , Florent, Paddy , Mills, Buddy , Heeney everyone loves their kicking . If we are that good then bombing it to May should be the least of our worries .... .
Yet numerous times last weekend, mainly the last qtr they took the "long down the line" option. Not necessarily the kickers fault if the team isn't providing a better option. It could have been the shorter break, compared to the Saints, and no one was running to space for the kicker.

Jimitron5000
26th August 2022, 06:24 PM
Make of this what you will, I was talking to someone in Melbourne's inner sanctum today and his quote was the they would have preferred to play any other team than the Swans.
We've got 'em worried!

liz
26th August 2022, 07:08 PM
Make of this what you will, I was talking to someone in Melbourne's inner sanctum today and his quote was the they would have preferred to play any other team than the Swans.
We've got 'em worried!

They shoulda lost to the Lions then last Friday.

KTigers
26th August 2022, 09:57 PM
They shoulda lost to the Lions then last Friday.

Where is the cunning and guile of the Demons circa 2009 when you need it?

The Big Cat
27th August 2022, 01:05 AM
We've got 'em worried!

I know several of their supporters who breathed a sigh of relief when GWS knocked us out last year.

Goal Sneak
27th August 2022, 01:33 AM
I know several of their supporters who breathed a sigh of relief when GWS knocked us out last year.

I vaguely remember an interview with Goodwin after the finals last year mentioning they were happy to see us eliminated due to the fact we played a style that was similar to theirs and could trouble them. They will not be underestimating us.

Sandridge
27th August 2022, 09:48 AM
We've got 'em worried!

And I spoke to some Melbourne-mad friends of mine last night and they said they'd rather play us at the SCG. They're worried about playing us on their home ground!

Hotpotato
27th August 2022, 10:45 AM
We will beat Melbourne.

Ludwig
27th August 2022, 12:53 PM
We've got 'em worried!

And I spoke to some Melbourne-mad friends of mine last night and they said they'd rather play us at the SCG. They're worried about playing us on their home ground!

I spoke to some American friends yesterday.

They had no idea what I was talking about.

bloodspirit
27th August 2022, 01:06 PM

That's hilarious!

They should be scared of us. I think we're a great chance of beating them.

Markwebbos
27th August 2022, 02:13 PM
We will beat Melbourne.

Big call. It wouldn’t surprise me if we did. Or if we lost

Melbourne’s form is hard to judge, particularly because of the two games where they destroyed the Lions. And looked ominous, whereas they’ve looked anything but in other games.

Goal Sneak
27th August 2022, 02:22 PM
Big call. It wouldn’t surprise me if we did. Or if we lost

Melbourne’s form is hard to judge, particularly because of the two games where they destroyed the Lions. And looked ominous, whereas they’ll looked anything but in other games.

Agree Melbourne have been shaky over the past few months. They did look good against the Lions but the Lions were pathetic that night. We have the team to beat them but we'll have to execute a very smart game plan

Industrial Fan
27th August 2022, 04:07 PM
I’ve managed to wrangle my work so I’ll be going to the game but trying to book tickets there are only nose bleed seats left.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get better ones or is it close to a sell out? (I’m only looking for 2x)

Meg
27th August 2022, 04:28 PM
I’ve managed to wrangle my work so I’ll be going to the game but trying to book tickets there are only nose bleed seats left.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get better ones or is it close to a sell out? (I’m only looking for 2x)

I suspect there will be a huge presence of Dees’ supporters as they were starved of live finals last year (due to Covid). So nose bleed seats might be all you can get at this stage.

Faunac8
27th August 2022, 04:53 PM

I got two great seats in the medallion club area via gumtree when we came down for the Melbourne game for about 100 each and they were very good seats.
I just had a quick look and I think the same bloke is selling a couple for next week

mcs
27th August 2022, 05:33 PM
I got two great seats in the medallion club area via gumtree when we came down for the Melbourne game for about 100 each and they were very good seats.
I just had a quick look and I think the same bloke is selling a couple for next week

Sometimes try Ebay too I find!

Industrial Fan
27th August 2022, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the tips, just got some off gumtree

I went to every final we played in 2012 so let’s hope it’s a good omen

joeykanga
28th August 2022, 02:43 PM
I just don't see that class you speak of in Wicks, he's tough he puts pressure on but to me he resembles an energiser battery that could do with a little more propping and changing direction, just a single step the other way and just taking a little more time and giving himself more time in order to make the right dish off choices .

Roadrunner
28th August 2022, 07:05 PM
I just don't see that class you speak of in Wicks, he's tough he puts pressure on but to me he resembles an energiser battery that could do with a little more propping and changing direction, just a single step the other way and just taking a little more time and giving himself more time in order to make the right dish off choices .

Wicks shouldn’t be considered at this stage- not good enough. Clarke can do a better job at tagging and doesn’t make me as nervous. Maybe Ronke if we do make a change?

TheBloods
28th August 2022, 07:17 PM
what does Gus have to do to be considered ? if its about age that is crap , have we forgotten what Chad and Errol were doing in their 2nd , 3rd games.?

He has got the talent and he will work hard , that is what you need in finals .

AB Swannie
28th August 2022, 07:49 PM
what does Gus have to do to be considered ? if its about age that is crap , have we forgotten what Chad and Errol were doing in their 2nd , 3rd games.?

He has got the talent and he will work hard , that is what you need in finals .

He probably can't do much more and wouldn't let us down. I'm just unsure who he would replace from a team that has won 7 straight.

TheBloods
28th August 2022, 08:02 PM
He probably can't do much more and wouldn't let us down. I'm just unsure who he would replace from a team that has won 7 straight.

oh i can think of a few, but at worst whats wrong with sub ? Everyone talks about the sub and its dud after dud getting thrown up and no one talks about the ones who have the TALENT , Joeys done his hammy so next best is Gus , he is a future star , we need talent in finals

Goal Sneak
28th August 2022, 08:08 PM
oh i can think of a few, but at worst whats wrong with sub ? Everyone talks about the sub and its dud after dud getting thrown up and no one talks about the ones who have the TALENT , Joeys done his hammy so next best is Gus , he is a future star , we need talent in finals

I think most would be fine with Gus being picked as sub. He's showing plenty. I've made the comment that he needs a bit of time to develop a bigger tank but I now think he's got that ticked off. Who are the players you think he should replace? If you want him in the mids then I don't think there's anyone who deserves to lose their spot at this stage.

TheBloods
28th August 2022, 08:12 PM
I think most would be fine with Gus being picked as sub. He's showing plenty. I've made the comment that he needs a bit of time to develop a bigger tank but I now think he's got that ticked off. Who are the players you think he should replace? If you want him in the mids then I don't think there's anyone who deserves to lose their spot at this stage.

He would be playing fwd would he not , he did on debut. Doesnt need a big tank. Not gonna be going back and forth up the ground is he

Meg
28th August 2022, 08:20 PM

You frequently refer to Swans’ players as ‘duds’. Please don’t, it’s a pejorative term. No Swans’ player is deserving of that.

Goal Sneak
28th August 2022, 08:20 PM
He would be playing fwd would he not , he did on debut. Doesnt need a big tank. Not gonna be going back and forth up the ground is he

So, replacing Clarke?

AB Swannie
28th August 2022, 08:22 PM

A few? Who exactly? I'd be more than happy to have Gus as the sub.

mcs
28th August 2022, 09:26 PM

As always a quality level of respect being shown for players that you don't like..... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be unhappy if he was the sub, likewise I'd be comfortable enough with Ronke or Campbell being given the guernsey either. All well in front of Wicks for the role in my opinion.

Talent alone wins you nothing in finals.

TheBloods
28th August 2022, 10:00 PM
Dont know if it has been mentioned in here but Chad finished with the 2nd most coaches votes for us this year ! What a superstar , he is 21!and of course our fantastic captain Mills led the way .

MattW
28th August 2022, 10:01 PM
You frequently refer to Swans’ players as ‘duds’. Please don’t, it’s a pejorative term. No Swans’ player is deserving of that.

Completely agree.

Hotpotato
28th August 2022, 10:26 PM
Completely agree.

I wholeheartedly agree as well.
How would like to hear that behind your back people were referring to you in this way.

TheBloods
29th August 2022, 01:02 AM
I wholeheartedly agree as well.
How would like to hear that behind your back people were referring to you in this way.

Is dud that bad ? I was called worse and have heard coaches call players a lot worse . Does it not just mean a player is no good , and how is saying they are no good any different from saying they should be delisted , or dropped , or traded ? Im not calling them names or picking on them , its just about the footy . Someone just yesterday commented that Matty roberts is bad and no one said a word ! Bad ! A 19 year old !

But i apologise to anyone i offended , i didnt mean any thing bad by it, that is just what i have been saying for years, I am trying

Goal Sneak
29th August 2022, 01:18 AM
Is dud that bad ? I was called worse and have heard coaches call players a lot worse . Does it not just mean a player is no good , and how is saying they are no good any different from saying they should be delisted , or dropped , or traded ? Im not calling them names or picking on them , its just about the footy . Someone just yesterday commented that Matty roberts is bad and no one said a word ! Bad ! A 19 year old !

But i apologise to anyone i offended , i didnt mean any thing bad by it, that is just what i have been saying for years, I am trying

I agree that "dud" is relatively tame on the scale of insults. The poster you mentioned said Matty Roberts played bad (in that specific game) which is different to labelling someone a dud which infers there is no hope for them. I'm pretty sure the poster was trying to get a rise out of you and it worked.

mcs
29th August 2022, 02:51 AM
There is a clear difference between comments that reflect views about performance of an individual in any given game(s), and broader generalisations that often come with (even if unintended) perceived quite negative connotations about an individual and/or their character.

Using an example of the former to try and justify what some clearly see as the latter doesn't really stack up.

And that is before the juxtaposition of an objection to comments about one young player alongside a demonstrated willingness to rip into other young players time and time again (one in particular), with many comments made having zero to do with performance. Can't really have it both ways.

I don't think it is too hard to show a reasonable level of respect, even if a player isn't ultimately good enough in terms of their performance on the park. And that is all that is really being asked for.

Roadrunner
29th August 2022, 09:11 AM
There is a clear difference between comments that reflect views about performance of an individual in any given game(s), and broader generalisations that often come with (even if unintended) perceived quite negative connotations about an individual and/or their character.

Using an example of the former to try and justify what some clearly see as the latter doesn't really stack up.

And that is before the juxtaposition of an objection to comments about one young player alongside a demonstrated willingness to rip into other young players time and time again (one in particular), with many comments made having zero to do with performance. Can't really have it both ways.

I don't think it is too hard to show a reasonable level of respect, even if a player isn't ultimately good enough in terms of their performance on the park. And that is all that is really being asked for.

Totally agree mcs. I’m sure TB doesn’t mean to be insulting to any player as he explained, but a certain level of respect should be shown to all players who pull on a Swan jumper. We have a few players regularly mentioned here who, in our opinion, have limited ability yet are capable of doing a specific job and hence get selected from time to time. All players have a bad game now and then and that is the proper criticism we can justly level at them and not resort to “labels” which can be derogatory and hurtful.

TheBloods
29th August 2022, 01:10 PM
That dill Barett and his thug mate Matthew Lloyd said Chad will be the one to watch in this game . Said Blakey and Papley were guns . Does Errol exist to these blokes !

RogueSwan
29th August 2022, 01:23 PM
That dill Barett and his thug mate Matthew Lloyd said Chad will be the one to watch in this game . Said Blakey and Papley were guns . Does Errol exist to these blokes !

Maybe not, but I'm sure he does to Goodwin.

i'm-uninformed2
29th August 2022, 01:29 PM
I've got no problems with Gus having a run of games in reserves until now.

One: it's hard to change a team that's gone seven on the trot. Clarke's position is the one most likely up for grabs, but he'd done the role very well until the Saints game.

Two: if he does come in, you want him truly match hardened and fit. We saw last year when we brought Chad in after a long and extended break for the final, he wasn't quite there. That's not to knock him, it's just a fact of being a young footballer. They need to build their resilience, and Gus missed a good chunk of footy this year.

Three: now that's he's had an extended run in reserves, he's more likely going to be cherry ripe if he does get picked. I reckon he's a great candidate for the sub role. And whether he's first 22 or sub, I've got no doubt he'll succeed. He's going to be a total beauty of a footballer.

Ludwig
29th August 2022, 01:54 PM
And what about Mills and Heeney? Why can't the AFL allocate more time to discuss Sydney so the commentators can name every player on the Swans team?

And do we really have to use derogatory terms like 'dill' and 'thug' to describe journalists? Especially Barrett, who has been having a love affair with The Chad. (Is a triangle emerging)? I thought those adjectives were reserved for Gill McLachlan and Toby Greene.

Captain
29th August 2022, 02:26 PM
And what about Mills and Heeney? Why can't the AFL allocate more time to discuss Sydney so the commentators can name every player on the Swans team?

And do we really have to use derogatory terms like 'dill' and 'thug' to describe journalists? Especially Barrett, who has been having a love affair with The Chad. (Is a triangle emerging)? I thought those adjectives were reserved for Gill McLachlan and Toby Greene.

Yep. I don't understand why it's so fashionable on here to slag pretty much all of the Melbourne media.

KTigers
29th August 2022, 03:33 PM
Yep. I don't understand why it's so fashionable on here to slag pretty much all of the Melbourne media.

I think it's because relatively speaking there is no Sydney media, they are all we've got.

crackedactor 01
29th August 2022, 04:22 PM
No Sydney Media and no NSW umpires. Notice in the VFL the free kick count was 13 to 2 in Melbourne's favor at one stage. I can almost guarantee it will be the similar ratio in Friday's night game when the Victorian umpires have their say.! Gil M at work again.

TheBloods
29th August 2022, 04:24 PM
I cant win then

RogueSwan
29th August 2022, 04:26 PM
... And do we really have to use derogatory terms like 'dill' and 'thug' to describe journalists? ...

Do we really have to use the term journalist to describe Matthew Lloyd? :smile:

Goal Sneak
29th August 2022, 04:32 PM

Touche' :rofl:

Ludwig
29th August 2022, 04:32 PM
Do we really have to use the term journalist to describe Matthew Lloyd? :smile: I wanted to call him a dud journalist, but I didn't want to contradict myself.

bloodspirit
29th August 2022, 06:10 PM

Or Damien Barrett.

Footy media really aren't journalists. Unlike actual journalists they don't limit themselves to reporting news. The bulk of their job is editorialising. And, in the case of someone like Barrett, he's not really any more qualified than you or I are to give opinions about footy, never having played or coached professionally (so far as I'm aware). Also, footy media seem to have a much greater licence to deal in rumour in their work than actual journalists do. So, I am quite earnest when I say I don't consider them journalists (even if occasionally some of them (e.g. Caro) do do some proper investigative journalism).

The Big Cat
29th August 2022, 07:15 PM
If we go with an unchanged team this week, then I think we are stronger than when we beat the Dees earlier in the year.

In: Hickey, Franklin, Stephens, Clarke
Out: Ladhams, O'Riordan, Amartey, Wicks.

Of course there is the small matter of Stephen May coming back for the Demons.

liz
29th August 2022, 07:16 PM
We had two separate (but near identical) conversations happening about Ladhams's suspension. I've consolidated all the posts in the other thread (VFL).

joeykanga
29th August 2022, 07:50 PM
I cant win then
Everytime the Swans win you win

TheBloods
30th August 2022, 12:27 PM
We are 4th for points for, 4th for points against , 1st for pressure and 2nd for contested possessions since rd 17 . We have the best profile for a flag because of this says champion data . Our coaches have been fantastic at making this team work

liz
30th August 2022, 02:15 PM
If anyone has convinced themselves we can't win on Friday, listen to the David King segment on Whately's SEN show yesterday, where they run through each of the games and what to expect. I find King a curious mix between the banal and insightful, but there's no doubting he actually watches a lot of footy (unlike many AFL scribes) and makes observations that others aren't capable of (whatever you think of those observations).

King isn't suggesting we will win but certainly that we can, and provides reasons why, and what we need to do.

Whateley | 1116 SEN (https://www.sen.com.au/programs/whateley/)

Scroll down to the section labelled "The Monday Means Test" and click on that to listen (and then the play button above the table of contents).

liz
30th August 2022, 02:45 PM
And also from SEN, here is a discussion with Longmire about Friday's game. I've not listened to this yet. Just about to.

How the Swans are planning for Melbourne’s star-studded midfield (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/30/how-the-swans-are-planning-for-melbournes-star-studded-midfield/)

TheBloods
30th August 2022, 03:14 PM
And also from SEN, here is a discussion with Longmire about Friday's game. I've not listened to this yet. Just about to.

How the Swans are planning for Melbourne’s star-studded midfield (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/30/how-the-swans-are-planning-for-melbournes-star-studded-midfield/)

Will heeney be playing midfield, that would be daft

Industrial Fan
30th August 2022, 03:19 PM
If anyone has convinced themselves we can't win on Friday, listen to the David King segment on Whately's SEN show yesterday, where they run through each of the games and what to expect. I find King a curious mix between the banal and insightful, but there's no doubting he actually watches a lot of footy (unlike many AFL scribes) and makes observations that others aren't capable of (whatever you think of those observations).

King isn't suggesting we will win but certainly that we can, and provides reasons why, and what we need to do.

Whateley | 1116 SEN (https://www.sen.com.au/programs/whateley/)

Scroll down to the section labelled "The Monday Means Test" and click on that to listen (and then the play button above the table of contents).the swans are discussed right near the end in case anyone is interested (maybe 45mins or so)

Interestingly after discussing the swans Whateley doesn’t put them in his top four seeds for the flag.

I’m obviously biased but I think we’re right in this irrespective of whether we win on Friday - if injuries stay on our side.

i'm-uninformed2
30th August 2022, 03:32 PM
Thanks Liz

For me, the game against Melbourne earlier in the year was where we started to lift our midfield and contested work. We'd been ok till then, but notably bashed up once or twice - with the Brisbane game most notable.

We broke even with Melbourne around the ball that day - despite Gawn having a game for the ages - and we've got better since. Chad's gone from good to great since mid season, Paps has gone into the middle at times to give us extra spark, Rowie's added contested ball winning work and more spread to his defensive efforts, we roll Heeney through late in quarters, and Mills has been used more flexibly. (Of course, Parks has been Parks throughout).

As King points out, Melbourne use their wings (not just wingers) well to let their half forwards and wingers bring the ball forward in space - but if we can match or beat them on the inside, and avoid their transition run from d50 by keeping our pressure high, we've got the class elsewhere to do the job.

mcs
30th August 2022, 03:41 PM
the swans are discussed right near the end in case anyone is interested (maybe 45mins or so)

Interestingly after discussing the swans Whateley doesn’t put them in his top four seeds for the flag.

I’m obviously biased but I think we’re right in this irrespective of whether we win on Friday - if injuries stay on our side.

Whateley has generally rated us pretty highly over a long period - I sense he is nervous we might be the ones that could stop his Geelong Flag fairytale hopes dead in their tracks.

I can't see how under any reasonable measure we aren't in the top 4 seeds. I can see an argument for Richmond being in the top 4 given their form and quality of list etc, but I put us well in front of the rest of the bottom half of the eight, and Collingwood at least.

TheBloods
30th August 2022, 03:43 PM
Thanks Liz

For me, the game against Melbourne earlier in the year was where we started to lift our midfield and contested work. We'd been ok till then, but notably bashed up once or twice - with the Brisbane game most notable.

We broke even with Melbourne around the ball that day - despite Gawn having a game for the ages - and we've got better since. Chad's gone from good to great since mid season, Paps has gone into the middle at times to give us extra spark, Rowie's added contested ball winning work and more spread to his defensive efforts, we roll Heeney through late in quarters, and Mills has been used more flexibly. (Of course, Parks has been Parks throughout).

As King points out, Melbourne use their wings (not just wingers) well to let their half forwards and wingers bring the ball forward in space - but if we can match or beat them on the inside, and avoid their transition run from d50 by keeping our pressure high, we've got the class elsewhere to do the job.

Chad was great that night as well not just lately , that play where he sprinted out of half back and drove the ball up the guts for Paps to run onto was fantastic and would 've been play of the match if not for Errol with the sealer !

i'm-uninformed2
30th August 2022, 03:58 PM
Chad was great that night as well not just lately , that play where he sprinted out of half back and drove the ball up the guts for Paps to run onto was fantastic and would 've been play of the match if not for Errol with the sealer !

I personally reckon Ollie bouncing off Viney and tearing off downfield, or the Amartey contest in the second quarter were the moments I went - yep, we're up to our necks in this - but yes, they were two great moments.

And I guess my broader point was that was the first complete midfield game we'd put together this year, and bar Parks and Mills (who were already excellent), every single player in the midfield has just got better and better since that point.

TheBloods
30th August 2022, 04:01 PM
I personally reckon Ollie bouncing off Viney and tearing off downfield, or the Amartey contest in the second quarter were the moments I went - yep, we're up to our necks in this - but yes, they were two great moments.

And I guess my broader point was that was the first complete midfield game we'd put together this year, and bar Parks and Mills (who were already excellent), every single player in the midfield has just got better and better since that point.

Chad was excellent last year , he got injured which wiped out half his season . Did you see him against the Crows last yr , it was Buddys first game with a crowd in over a year but by the end the crowd was louder every time Chad got it than Bud ! And it was his 4th game

stevoswan
30th August 2022, 04:29 PM
No Sydney Media and no NSW umpires. Notice in the VFL the free kick count was 13 to 2 in Melbourne's favor at one stage. I can almost guarantee it will be the similar ratio in Friday's night game when the Victorian umpires have their say.! Gil M at work again.

Gil seems to have anointed Collingwood as this years Victorian AFL fairytale and as such, I do not want us to meet them in any final this year. The free kick counts from all this weeks games will be very interesting to see unfold. Three involve a Victorian team v an interstate team and one involves a Vic team v Gil's 'fairytale' team. It will be very interesting indeed.

mcs
30th August 2022, 04:39 PM
Gil seems to have anointed Collingwood as this years Victorian AFL fairytale and as such, I do not want us to meet them in any final this year. The free kick counts from all this weeks games will be very interesting to see unfold. Three involve a Victorian team v an interstate team and one involves a Vic team v Gil's 'fairytale' team. It will be very interesting indeed.They'll need 100 free kicks to beat the good teams in my opinion.

They will be shown up in finals by any decent team that has bothered to watch how we dismantled them.

They have made huge progress this year, but I don't think they are a genuine challenger for the flag either, even with the top 4 finish.

Faunac8
30th August 2022, 05:01 PM

I posted at the time that this was a turning point of the game the contact happened just in front of me and you could hear the impact quite clearly and to see Ollie bounce off that and head off downfield without any delay made me believe that this is a team that can deliver.

Faunac8
30th August 2022, 05:09 PM
Gil seems to have anointed Collingwood as this years Victorian AFL fairytale and as such, I do not want us to meet them in any final this year. The free kick counts from all this weeks games will be very interesting to see unfold. Three involve a Victorian team v an interstate team and one involves a Vic team v Gil's 'fairytale' team. It will be very interesting indeed.

I genuinely don’t believe that Gill has any input into the free kick counts and to be honest I think that the free kick count is usually a result of the flow of the game .
Unfortunately we seem to be on the opposite side of the free kick count more often than not.

i'm-uninformed2
30th August 2022, 05:51 PM
I posted at the time that this was a turning point of the game the contact happened just in front of me and you could hear the impact quite clearly and to see Ollie bounce off that and head off downfield without any delay made me believe that this is a team that can deliver.

Yep, and as someone who's been frustrated by Ollie at times because I felt he could give us more, I just loved it. It was about the time of his shift down back and he's been very good ever since. Good on the coaches for having the imagination to play him down there, and good on him for seizing the opportunity. I hope he keeps kicking on and those dancing feet of his are a feature of the finals.

TheBloods
30th August 2022, 06:36 PM
Article on Chad and that disgusting incident from last month in the Age, he is a great kid . Jude has also tipped Chad to be the swan made for finals, he loves the way he plays

i'm-uninformed2
30th August 2022, 10:41 PM
I went back and watched the second quarter of the game v Dees earlier this year.

One: our pressure, led by Mills, Rowie, and Gulden, was off the charts.

Two: I’d actually forgotten about one my fave plays of the year. Errol, effectively at fullback, surrounded by three far taller Dees, watching a centred ball, tracing its flight, calmly going I’ve got this, and the fisting it clear, for Chad to go to Paps, to go goal. I’d forgotten the Errol bit that makes the rest happen.

Three: just how well Ben Reid played. Ben was awesome. Luke Darcy consistently called his name. Luke might struggle to spell Luke, or Ben, but boy he thought Ben played well, and Ben did indeed, and Luke is lucky to not be tying shoelaces for a living, because he’d starve.

TheBloods
30th August 2022, 11:44 PM
The Chad is on the backpage of the telegraph tomorrow . good story about him.

Mel
31st August 2022, 10:28 AM
Three: just how well Ben Reid played. Ben was awesome. Luke Darcy consistently called his name. Luke might struggle to spell Luke, or Ben, but boy he thought Ben played well, and Ben did indeed, and Luke is lucky to not be tying shoelaces for a living, because he’d starve.

He's been Ben in our house ever since. Seriously, why it took 3/4s of a game before somebody took him aside and told him that Ben retired years ago and the player was, in fact, SAM Reid astounds me.

liz
31st August 2022, 10:31 AM
He's been Ben in our house ever since. Seriously, why it took 3/4s of a game before somebody took him aside and told him that Ben retired years ago and the player was, in fact, SAM Reid astounds me.

One of the other commentators tried to do it on air, by placing a bit more emphasis on "Sam" that is normal, but Darcy seemed oblivious to this. But yes, you'd think that after the second mention of "Ben" (one might just be an accident, common for Swans fans who've been watching Leroy Jetta, Heath Shaw, Mark McVeigh for as long as I can remember), someone would have put him straight. His own son is Sam. Can't be that hard for him to remember.

Industrial Fan
31st August 2022, 10:48 AM
Someone messaged Darcy (on some social media platform) about the Sam / Ben bit recently which he acknowledged so you’d hope it doesn’t continue.

KTigers
31st August 2022, 11:06 AM

Luke is very sensitive and bringing his gaffes to his attention must be done in a way that won't endanger his mental health.
It's very complicated and none of the other commentators want to potentially have blood on their hands so they never try to
correct him. Besides, some of them thought Sam's name was actually Patrick.

Ludwig
31st August 2022, 11:19 AM
Why don't we all call Freo's Darcy, Sam, and the Dogs' Darcy, Sean? Maybe Kook Darcy will catch on eventually.

RogueSwan
31st August 2022, 11:28 AM
... I hope he keeps kicking on and those dancing feet of his are a feature of the finals.
He probably has the best initial 2-3 step evasion in the game right now (I'm not biased :smile:). There are others that are good at getting out of congestion but often require a (strong) fend off whereas Ollie seems to be able to do it with footwork alone.

Hotpotato
31st August 2022, 12:54 PM
He probably has the best initial 2-3 step evasion in the game right now (I'm not biased :smile:). There are others that are good at getting out of congestion but often require a (strong) fend off whereas Ollie seems to be able to do it with footwork alone.

Weaving, evading, sidestepping, shimmying are the essential skills of the game, however only a few are proficient at it. Buddy is still excellent .

TheBloods
31st August 2022, 12:57 PM
Longmire was asked about Chad in his presser this morning . Hayward also . I like Chad as much as anyone but cmon , its over the top now theres about 2 articles on him every week , coach gets asked about him at every presser . Why not ask about Errol or Blakey , they are also fantastic talents who get overlooked .

Bloods05
31st August 2022, 01:06 PM
Longmire was asked about Chad in his presser this morning . Hayward also . I like Chad as much as anyone but cmon , its over the top now theres about 2 articles on him every week , coach gets asked about him at every presser . Why not ask about Errol or Blakey , they are also fantastic talents who get overlooked .

I laughed out loud.

TheBloods
31st August 2022, 01:11 PM
I laughed out loud.

Why is that amusing ? We have more than 1 star

Goal Sneak
31st August 2022, 01:46 PM
Why is that amusing ? We have more than 1 star

It's amusing because your posts are 95% focussed on Chad and how he can do no wrong, yet you call out the media for focussing on him too much. They're doing the exact thing you've been doing for months. You're getting a taste of what it's like to read your posts and we find it amusing.

mcs
31st August 2022, 01:51 PM
It's amusing because your posts are 95% focussed on Chad and how he can do no wrong, yet you call out the media for focussing on him too much. They're doing the exact thing you've been doing for months. You're getting a taste of what it's like to read your posts and we find it amusing.

:rofl I've been waiting for a RWO post to confim that Chad's bowel movements are okay.... wouldn't want him all blocked up before a big final. We seem to have had all the other updates in recent days :wink:

TheBloods
31st August 2022, 01:52 PM

That is rubbish , i always talk about others . Chad is our best player and my favourite ,naturally i give him a lot of praise .Shouldnt mean others cant get it. Errol and Blakey are two of the best young guns in the comp , the media forget they exist . Mills and Heeney both AA i have only counted 1 article on each of them since . But seems i cant win no matter what i comment on here.

Goal Sneak
31st August 2022, 02:13 PM
That is rubbish , i always talk about others . Chad is our best player and my favourite ,naturally i give him a lot of praise .Shouldnt mean others cant get it. Errol and Blakey are two of the best young guns in the comp , the media forget they exist . Mills and Heeney both AA i have only counted 1 article on each of them since . But seems i cant win no matter what i comment on here.

It would seem Chad is a favourite of the media also as well as the AFL crowd in general.

I'm in fear of being suspended if I reply any further to any more of your questions. I will stop here.

Mel
31st August 2022, 02:45 PM
Chad is exciting, explosive on the field, easy to spot/identify and he has a name that a couple of generations can play with. The Chad (from Charlie's Angel's for the Gen X and Yer's) and A Chad (an alpha or hyper masculine man for the zoomers. All this (and that horrible business a month or so ago) means that he's easy to focus on.

TheBloods
31st August 2022, 03:09 PM
Chad is exciting, explosive on the field, easy to spot/identify and he has a name that a couple of generations can play with. The Chad (from Charlie's Angel's for the Gen X and Yer's) and A Chad (an alpha or hyper masculine man for the zoomers. All this (and that horrible business a month or so ago) means that he's easy to focus on.

I know , i like it . I have even shared updates on him as i love that he is being recognised , but we are in a qualifying final this week but if you read the rags you would think we have only 1 bloke playing . Its a bit over the top , especially when we have other young fellas who have been fantastic in there own right playing in their first finals not being recognised .

Bloods05
31st August 2022, 03:43 PM

Giving us a laugh is a win! Cheer up.

stevoswan
31st August 2022, 04:00 PM
I genuinely don’t believe that Gill has any input into the free kick counts and to be honest I think that the free kick count is usually a result of the flow of the game .
Unfortunately we seem to be on the opposite side of the free kick count more often than not.

I was just implying that whatever he says gets into the umpires heads and may influence their attitude out on the ground. The 'vibe' of Victoria certainly got into their heads in 2016.

i'm-uninformed2
31st August 2022, 06:03 PM
Horse also got asked about Hayward in his presser, and was effusive in his praise - and rightly so. I've always liked Wil. Natural goal kickers aren't easily found, and I thought he does a lot of unrewarded running and work. But his marking, running power and contribution to the team's defensive structure has gone to another level in the second half of the year, while maintaining his ability to bob up for a few goals.

Teams that win finals need their 'stars', but they also depend heavily on the contribution of blokes like Wil.

Blood Fever
31st August 2022, 06:41 PM
Horse also got asked about Hayward in his presser, and was effusive in his praise - and rightly so. I've always liked Wil. Natural goal kickers aren't easily found, and I thought he does a lot of unrewarded running and work. But his marking, running power and contribution to the team's defensive structure has gone to another level in the second half of the year, while maintaining his ability to bob up for a few goals.

Teams that win finals need their 'stars', but they also depend heavily on the contribution of blokes like Wil.

Always feel reassured when I watch a Longmire press confrrence. Rock solid character.

Roadrunner
31st August 2022, 06:57 PM

Spot on uninformed. Will’s game this year has been terrific, together with Ollie who has flourished down back. In fact, our whole team has improved this year and we are very proud of them, irrespective of how we go in the finals- though of course we want to go all the way!

TB’s favourite is key to getting us going when the going gets tough, and I love this trait which is a rare talent. But in fairness we have 22 players giving their all and as supporters we can’t ask for more than that.

Go Swannies!

goswannies
31st August 2022, 07:35 PM
But in fairness we have 22 players giving their all and as supporters we can’t ask for more than that.

Go Swannies!

Yes?

Mel_C
31st August 2022, 08:23 PM
One of the other commentators tried to do it on air, by placing a bit more emphasis on "Sam" that is normal, but Darcy seemed oblivious to this. But yes, you'd think that after the second mention of "Ben" (one might just be an accident, common for Swans fans who've been watching Leroy Jetta, Heath Shaw, Mark McVeigh for as long as I can remember), someone would have put him straight. His own son is Sam. Can't be that hard for him to remember.
The problem with Darcy, (actually he has more than one problem), is that he seems to say the full name of the player instead of just the surname, so he gets himself in trouble. He needs to stick to the basics.

liz
31st August 2022, 09:05 PM
(Darcy) needs to stick to the basics.

Yeah, well he is a ruckman (ex).

TheBloods
31st August 2022, 10:12 PM
ANOTHER article on Chad , afl site

See what i am talking about !

- - - Updated - - -

I love Chad , very obviously , but do we need 4 articles on the 1 kid in 1 week ? What about Mills, he was AA captain . Blakey , robbed of AA , most damaging half back going around . heeney ? Local kid , you would think our media would be all over that . Dylan makes the team finally - not worth giving any time to ?

1st September 2022, 12:03 AM
Always feel reassured when I watch a Longmire press confrrence. Rock solid character.

A statesman who stands above most other coaches, some of them are very ordinary, and we all know who they are

Someone mentioned Will Hayward earlier, has been in cracking form the latter half of the year, so important to us

1st September 2022, 12:18 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I love Chad , very obviously , but do we need 4 articles on the 1 kid in 1 week ? What about Mills, he was AA captain . Blakey , robbed of AA , most damaging half back going around . heeney ? Local kid , you would think our media would be all over that . Dylan makes the team finally - not worth giving any time to ?

We need four articles about Chad more than we need 5 posts by the same person complaining about too many articles about Chad, when that person has posted more about Chad than the rest of RWO combined.

stevoswan
1st September 2022, 03:35 AM

Interesting quote: ""Mum was pretty happy knowing we were both going to be here forever," he said.

Please let it be true.

Meg
1st September 2022, 03:59 AM
Interesting quote: ""Mum was pretty happy knowing we were both going to be here forever," he said.

Please let it be true.

Lol I suspect what Chad actually said was “Mum was pretty happy knowing we were both going to be here together.”

stevoswan
1st September 2022, 12:56 PM
Lol I suspect what Chad actually said was “Mum was pretty happy knowing we were both going to be here together.”

Directly quoted from the article: "Mum was pretty happy knowing we were both going to be here forever," he said.

Sure, he may have been misquoted......but one can dream right?:redface:

Hotpotato
1st September 2022, 01:06 PM
Is Parker the forgotten man, he’s so consistently reliable and moves the ball on so effectively. He’s so important in our line up.

i'm-uninformed2
1st September 2022, 01:22 PM
Oh Christ, we've been given Stevic. (Stephens and Fleer are the other two). Why does the AFL hate us so much?

stevoswan
1st September 2022, 01:45 PM
Oh Christ, we've been given Stevic. (Stephens and Fleer are the other two). Why does the AFL hate us so much?

It seriously cannot be 'just a coincidence' can it? FFS, they just can't stop laying their boots in can they?:hmmmm2:

Goal Sneak
1st September 2022, 03:13 PM

Not sure what the problem is? I've heard he is one of the best in the business!

mcs
1st September 2022, 03:34 PM

Could be worse - we could of copped that utterly inexplicably dreadful Nicholls.

RogueSwan
1st September 2022, 03:35 PM
Could be worse - we could of copped that utterly inexplicably dreadful Nicholls.

Is he the one that gave the confusing and incorrect free against Paddy on the goal line?

stevoswan
1st September 2022, 04:30 PM
Is he the one that gave the confusing and incorrect free against Paddy on the goal line?

No, that was'pretty boy'.... the even worse Nathan Williamson.

crackedactor 01
1st September 2022, 04:44 PM
Not sure what the problem is? I've heard he is one of the best in the business!

Try watching the 2016 GF and then say nothing is wrong with Stevic.

Maltopia
1st September 2022, 04:53 PM

I think Goal Sneak was being ironic, as BT and Luke Darcy, two commentators which RWO do not rate, keep saying he is one of the best in the business.

i'm-uninformed2
1st September 2022, 05:57 PM

Or 2012. Remember we copped 21-10 against (from memory). He was a notorious Hawk lover.

Industrial Fan
1st September 2022, 06:02 PM
The doob against Richards in that game was a shocker - so clearly a miskick, it came off his boot at a right angle yet someone he did it deliberately

stevoswan
1st September 2022, 06:17 PM
The doob against Richards in that game was a shocker - so clearly a miskick, it came off his boot at a right angle yet someone he did it deliberately

Yep, they really don't even try to hide their bias at times.

Goal Sneak
1st September 2022, 06:24 PM
I think Goal Sneak was being ironic, as BT and Luke Darcy, two commentators which RWO do not rate, keep saying he is one of the best in the business.

Yes, thanks Maltopia. I should've added a :tongue:

Maltopia
1st September 2022, 06:43 PM
Or 2012. Remember we copped 21-10 against (from memory). He was a notorious Hawk lover.

He had a Hawks theme on his Facebook page during the Freekick Hawthorn years. Clear conflict of interest, and should never be officiating Hawks games. For anyone who is in not in business/government, conflicts of interest include perceived conflicts of interest, even if the behaviour appears ethical. The fact that he is such a huge Hawthorn supporter means that there is perceived conflict every time a 50-50 call goes the Hawks way, and thus the company (AFL) should apply a strategy, such as removing that risk (e.g., him not officiating any Hawks games).

i'm-uninformed2
1st September 2022, 07:22 PM
We're going in unchanged.

Harry, Campbell, Sinlcair and McLean emergencies. Me thinks Harry for sub.

Goal Sneak
1st September 2022, 07:38 PM
I've just heard Simon Goodwin has come down with gastro leading into the game tomorrow. A dodgy linguine has been blamed but I think it's more likely he's @@@@ting himself at the prospect of playing the Swans :tongue:

Mel_C
1st September 2022, 08:15 PM

- - - Updated - - -

At least for a change there aren't 5 articles about Buddy!

ugg
1st September 2022, 08:20 PM
We're going in unchanged.

Harry, Campbell, Sinlcair and McLean emergencies. Me thinks Harry for sub.

Interesting McLean is an emergency. Didn’t play last week in the VFL.

Mel_C
1st September 2022, 08:23 PM
Even worse it is a milestone game for him. His 50th Final, so he better not "impose" himself on the game.

I'd be very surprised if he was rewarded with a Final after his performance in the Saints game. I just checked and he hasn't been selected. But it would be our luck that he's an emergency for our game and one of the officiating umpires will do his hamstring and then we'll be stuck with Stevic AND Nicholls!

chuckie
1st September 2022, 08:30 PM
I hope there is nothing wrong with Hickey or Reid. It seems odd that there are to talks named as emergencies

Goal Sneak
1st September 2022, 08:36 PM
I hope there is nothing wrong with Hickey or Reid. It seems odd that there are to talks named as emergencies

Not to worry chuckie, both Sinclair and McLean have been named in the emergencies.

1st September 2022, 08:58 PM
Emergencies have to cover all types of players so don't get hung up on the names. Harry as the finals experienced player as medi sub you'd reckon

Scottee
1st September 2022, 09:55 PM
I don't know what Amartey and Ronke need to do to get a mention from the selectors.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

The Big Cat
1st September 2022, 10:36 PM
I don't know what Amartey and Ronke need to do to get a mention from the selectors.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

Play at AFL standard.

Goal Sneak
2nd September 2022, 01:28 AM
Play at AFL standard.

Both played very well against Casey. They are both really good players that are keeping pressure on the best 22 which has been a big factor in our success this year. They are ready as anyone outside a best 22 in the comp.

stevoswan
2nd September 2022, 02:45 PM

They would if there were passengers in our 'seven wins in a row' senior team......but there just isn't. Simple as that. Do you really think the 'like for like' players in the one's deserve to be dropped?

joeykanga
2nd September 2022, 03:30 PM
We need four articles about Chad more than we need 5 posts by the same person complaining about too many articles about Chad, when that person has posted more about Chad than the rest of RWO combined.
Hear hear is it here here ...

i'm-uninformed2
2nd September 2022, 03:48 PM
Is it too early to start drinking to calm the nerves?

aardvark
2nd September 2022, 04:30 PM
I wonder how many times in the clubs history we've won 10 in a row?

RogueSwan
2nd September 2022, 04:36 PM

No, definitely not too early

neilfws
2nd September 2022, 06:01 PM

I spent some time trying to work this out, before realising that it's sure to be at AFL Tables:

Streaks - Sydney (https://afltables.com/afl/teams/swans/streaks.html)

The last run of 10 or more was 12 in 2014...a good sign?

neilfws
2nd September 2022, 06:12 PM

The nerves are coming...but I'm excited for tonight.

If they're good enough to beat Melbourne (I think their best is) and go to a prelim - well, that's pretty exciting.

And if not - they're a good chance against Brisbane surely, so that's also exciting.

It's all exciting!

bandwagon
2nd September 2022, 06:20 PM
I watched last night's match and thought - if we end up with 17 lead changes in the game I will need sedation.

Maltopia
2nd September 2022, 06:21 PM

We only need three in a row (now, or after tonight if we lose to Melbourne).

10 in a row would be so much sweeter and less worry along the way though!

i'm-uninformed2
2nd September 2022, 06:37 PM
I watched last night's match and thought - if we end up with 17 lead changes in the game I will need sedation.

I'd need a defibrillator

Auntie.Gerald
2nd September 2022, 06:44 PM
Formidable opponent the Demons

A backline that is about the best in the comp and mids that are hard to contain when exploding ahead of their match ups.

I suspect we are just a bit off their best but I haven't seen our best yet in 2022. I think we have more to show........so let's bring our best and find out !!!!!

longmile
2nd September 2022, 06:59 PM
Feeling a bit numb about this game. It could easily go either way and I wouldn't be too concerned. I think the week off for winning tonight is a bit of a curse with the new pre-finals bye (dumb invention)

My only fear is that the Swans get thrashed due to our youth and their finals inexperience and it scars them going into next week. Or if Hickey goes down we have no backup... But I also wouldn't be suprised if we handle Melbourne. Our top 4/8 record is superb.

Nico
2nd September 2022, 07:08 PM
Just heard on the news that Buddy is out with a calf injury. Could that be why McLean didn't play 2's last week.

longmile
2nd September 2022, 07:14 PM
Just heard on the news that Buddy is out with a calf injury. Could that be why McLean didn't play 2's last week.

Jeeez that’s no good

Would much rather amartey. McLean has no ground ball game and is slow as. Amartey can clunk marks just as good if not better

Nico
2nd September 2022, 07:16 PM
Jeeez that’s no good

Would much rather amartey. McLean has no ground ball game and is slow as. Amartey can clunk marks just as good if not better

If true, maybe he hurt it today, after the team was announced last night.

Just on the news. Buddy walked into the ground with his gear. Looked ok.

They walked to the ground instead of on the bus.

i'm-uninformed2
2nd September 2022, 07:18 PM

To be clear, we don’t know yet. Journos are running with the ‘there is chatter’ line, but there are also plenty of journos saying they’d heard it, checked it and don’t believe it to be true and expect him to play. Guess we will know in 40 minutes or so.

Goal Sneak
2nd September 2022, 07:18 PM
Jeeez that’s no good

+1.

Amartey also played the last time we played and beat them without Buddy.

Maltopia
2nd September 2022, 07:30 PM
Bet365 have just put out a special on Buddy kicking a goal, paying $2 instead of $1.15. Max bet $10.

They would be looking silly with this promo if Franklin doesn’t play.

MattW
2nd September 2022, 07:31 PM
How naff is it for a 41 yo man to be nervous about other men playing a game of football. Asking for a friend.

KSAS
2nd September 2022, 07:34 PM

News of Franklin being a late withdrawal quickly whipped around social media, but Channel 7's Tom Browne and the Herald Sun's Jon Ralph were quick to silence the rumours.

“A lot of chatter regarding Lance Franklin being out with a calf. Sources indicate that’s not the case. Rumour only. Will play,” Browne tweeted.

AFL Finals live: Melbourne Demons vs Sydney Swans, scores, live updates, video, finals fixture, news | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site (https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-qualifying-final-live-melbourne-vs-sydney-updates/live-coverage/09adde71539ebb0950851db26e28d00e)

Old S.M.Blood
2nd September 2022, 07:37 PM
Bus held up Swans WALKING to MCG 7 news 6 30

KTigers
2nd September 2022, 07:48 PM

Yeah no one told them their Opal cards won't work in Melbourne.

bandwagon
2nd September 2022, 07:48 PM
How naff is it for a 41 yo man to be nervous about other men playing a game of football. Asking for a friend.

:rofl:

Old S.M.Blood
2nd September 2022, 07:54 PM
Bus took WRONG turn. They are at the ground now:adore

bloodspirit
2nd September 2022, 07:56 PM
I'm excited. Re-watched the last time we played in preparation. I think we really profited from May being out AND Petty dealing with injuries. I suspect this was key to us being able to dramatically reduce Melbourne's scores from turnover and also improved our ability to transition out of defence.

I'm glad we've got Hickey for Ladhams and that Wicks isn't playing, even though both had pretty good games when we beat Melbourne in R12.

Interesting to see Gould is there, no doubt as an emergency - but he wasn't listed as one of the emergencies (was he?) so I don't know whether to read anything into that. Is it possible that one of our other defenders is injured and he's coming in? We had a defender debut in a final last night.

Agree with all those who say it would be hard to sit through a match like last night's!

Great post MattW - got a chuckle out of me. :)

neilfws
2nd September 2022, 08:02 PM
News of Franklin being a late withdrawal quickly whipped around social media, but Channel 7's Tom Browne and the Herald Sun's Jon Ralph were quick to silence the rumours.

“A lot of chatter regarding Lance Franklin being out with a calf. Sources indicate that’s not the case. Rumour only. Will play,” Browne tweeted.

The full tweet is classic Tom - it neither confirms nor denies anything in that strange, twisted Twitter prose of his that passes for some kind of English.

liz
2nd September 2022, 08:04 PM
I'm excited. Re-watched the last time we played in preparation. I think we really profited from May being out AND Petty dealing with injuries. I suspect this was key to us being able to dramatically reduce Melbourne's scores from turnover and also improved our ability to transition out of defence.

I'm glad we've got Hickey for Ladhams and that Wicks isn't playing, even though both had pretty good games when we beat Melbourne in R12.

Interesting to see Gould is there, no doubt as an emergency - but he wasn't listed as one of the emergencies (was he?) so I don't know whether to read anything into that. Is it possible that one of our other defenders is injured and he's coming in? We had a defender debut in a final last night.

Agree with all those who say it would be hard to sit through a match like last night's!

Great post MattW - got a chuckle out of me. :)

I commented to a friend a couple of days ago that it would be great if they took the whole squad down, but figured that was unlikely with a game on Sunday to prepare for.

Maybe they have.

Mel_C
2nd September 2022, 08:27 PM
That reminds me about the Collingwood game in 2013 at the MCG. The bus broke down so the players caught a tram to the ground. There were photos of Goodes standing next to supporters in the tram.

Mark26
2nd September 2022, 08:32 PM
I would have liked for us to be wearing the red V tonight. Isn't this an away game for us?

mcs
2nd September 2022, 08:43 PM

Didn't that happen in a big game in recent years - where they ended up getting the tram. I'm sure we won that night too... I'll take any good omens I can find!

Edit just read down and saw Mel_C post - doh!

Nico
2nd September 2022, 09:06 PM
Why did Jmac turn back instead kicking, turnover, goal.

Nico
2nd September 2022, 09:22 PM
Sam Reid! Dead in front and misses and we go in 10 points down. You have to kick those easy set shots.

Agent 86
2nd September 2022, 09:24 PM
Sam Reid! Dead in front and misses and we go in 10 points down. You have to kick those easy set shots.

You can feel when Sam’s gonna do one of those, unfortunately. You can also see it in his eyes. Costly.

& the Lloyd kick at the end was a disaster.