PDA

View Full Version : AFLW 2022 Round 3: Sydney Swans v GWS Marn Grook 2.40pm Sat Sept 10 SGG

Meg
8th September 2022, 06:34 PM
Our Sydney Swans women’s team will host the GWS Giants in Round 3 of the AFLW competition in Marn Grook at the SCG at 2.40pm on Saturday.

This will be the inaugural AFLW Sydney Derby, with both teams striving for their first win for the season.

Adding to the Swans’ AFLW rivalry with GWS, three former Giants - forward Rebecca Privitelli, midfielder Lisa Steane and ruck Ally Morphett - moved to the Swans in this our first season.

The AFLW is celebrating Indigenous Round across Round 3 and Round 4, with all eighteen AFLW clubs wearing specially designed Indigenous Round guernseys.

Our women will wear the Swans’ original indigenous jumper designed by Lisa Sansbury, mother of Adam Goodes. The design depicts the meeting of the city with the sea, telling the story of Indigenous people coming together around Sydney’s harbour and estuaries.

Small forward Aliesha Newman, a proud Ningy Ningy woman, will be the first Indigenous woman to play for the Sydney Swans. Newman is Sydney's most experienced player, with 41 AFLW games since debuting in the inaugural 2017 season for Melbourne and then with Collingwood before her move to the Swans.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220908/7c1ba687943f9d85c01668da94e5ac21.jpg

Aliesha Newman (left) and Jade Anthony

This should be a fun day at the SCG with lots of activities for kids in the Swans Fan Zone (including face painting, red and white hair braiding, footy and Cyggy) plus Kick to Kick after the match.

There will be plenty of time to attend/watch our women’s match with no timing clash with men’s AFL to divide our loyalties.

Tickets are available from Ticketek at $10 per adult and free for kids under 18 years of age. However kids will still require a ticket to gain entry (simply redeem a $0 child's ticket on the Ticketek site). All access is general admission with no reserved seating option.

All entry to the SCG will be via Gates A and H.

The match will also be broadcast live on the Seven Network, FOX FOOTY and Kayo.

Full details can be read here:

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/matchday/aflw?spMailingID=8661855&spUserID=Mjg5OTE4MTMzMTA3S0&spJobID=1580148976&spReportId=MTU4MDE0ODk3NgS2

mcs
8th September 2022, 07:43 PM
Good luck to the Ladies in our first AFLW Derby.

I am hoping we see a more consistent performance across the four quarters. And maybe a little less of what feels like 'kamikaze' football with moving it quickly almost at all costs. I'd prefer a more conservative approach with ball in hand that gives us more chance to play to our current relative strengths.

I hope a good crowd gets out there on the weekend!

Meg
8th September 2022, 07:49 PM
Good luck to the Ladies in our first AFLW Derby.

I hope a good crowd gets out there on the weekend!

Good weather forecast: mostly sunny, max 22 degrees, no rain expected. Ideal for Saturday afternoon footy.

Meg
10th September 2022, 02:45 AM
Team announcements for the Sydney derby:

The Swans have made three changes, with Sarah Dargan, Eliza Vale and Tiarne Cavanagh coming into the side at the expense of Sarah Skinner, Sarah Ford and an injured Aimee Whelan.

Sarah Dargan (midfielder) is an experienced AFLW player having played since 2018, firstly with Collingwood and then with Richmond.

Eliza Vale (defender) is on debut in the AFLW after an outstanding season last year with the Western Bulldogs VFL team.

Tiarne Cavanagh (midfielder) is a rookie on debut in AFLW having crossed codes from Rugby 7s.

Sydney v Greater Western Sydney at the SCG, 2.40pm AEST

SYDNEY

B: Molly Eastman 9 Alana Woodward 13
HB: Genevieve Lawson-Tavan 24 Alexia Hamilton 30 Ella Heads 12
C: Sofia Hurley 25 Lauren Szigeti 28 Lisa Steane 21
HF: Rebecca Privitelli 19 Bella Smith 11 Aliesha Newman 16
F: Cynthia Hamilton 10 Ally Morphett 7
Foll: Kate Reynolds 34 Brooke Lochland (C) 1 Paige Sheppard 4
I/C: Brenna Tarrant 20 Sarah Dargan 5 Bridie Kennedy 2 Eliza Vale 23 Tiarne Cavanagh 27

Emerg: Sarah Skinner 15 Sarah Ford 3 Zoe Hurrell 17

In: Sarah Dargan, Eliza Vale, Tiarne Cavanagh
Out: Sarah Skinner (omitted), Aimee Whelan (injured), Sarah Ford (omitted)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B: T.Hetherington 9 A.Lister 14
HB: B.Stack 15 J.Grierson 10 J.Hicks 29
C: A.Eva - C 2 A.Dallaway 30 M.Brazendale 23
HF: N.Barr 8 G.Garnett 17 C.Staunton 13
F: Z.Goldsworthy 7 H.Zreika 24
Foll: C.McCormick 25 A.Parker 3 E.Pease 33
I/C: K.Smith 4 T.Evans 18 B.Mowbray 31 M.Gaffney 22 J.Doyle 5

Emerg: G.Fowler 26 T.Cattle 40 Z.Hamilton 35

In: N.Barr, Z.Goldsworthy, M.Gaffney
Out: P.Randall (injured), C.Dalton (injured), T.Mackrill (injured)

bloodspirit
10th September 2022, 01:11 PM
Very exciting for Tiarne to be getting her first game. The scrimmage we had against the Giants in the pre-season was her first ever game of footy at any level. Unbelievable she's being given a chance in the AFLW already!

I like how GWS are keeping T(he) Cattle in reserve.

Meg
10th September 2022, 01:28 PM
Very exciting for Tiarne to be getting her first game.

Gowans described Tiarne as having ‘speed and agility’. I just hope she remembers she needs to bounce the ball every 15m [emoji3].

bloodspirit
10th September 2022, 02:08 PM
I hope she knows how to bounce the ball!

Meg
10th September 2022, 03:46 PM
Wow, lots of forward entries early by Swans, just lack the polish to finish off.

Meg
10th September 2022, 04:02 PM
Swans had a promising opening 5 minutes but GWS experienced players then took over the first quarter.

Q1:
Swans 0.2 (2)
GWS 3.4 (22)

Ps: The Swans women look great in our original indigenous jumpers.

Mel_C
10th September 2022, 04:03 PM
We started well but just couldn't kick a goal. GWS are way on top now. Every time the ball goes to ground there are more GWS players and their runners are moving the ball too easily.

Last week and this week you can really see the difference playing against experienced teams.

Meg
10th September 2022, 04:15 PM
And ... our first goal kicked in 2nd quarter by Alexia Hamilton after a lovely mark in front of goal.

Meg
10th September 2022, 04:28 PM
Swans looked better in second quarter but only kicked the one goal.

Q2:
Swans 1.4 (10)
GWS 5.5 (35)

Meg
10th September 2022, 04:51 PM
Brooke Lochland kicks Swans second goal after an excellent mark followed by a 50m penalty when she was held on to by the GWS defender.

Mel_C
10th September 2022, 04:57 PM
What a brain fade after taking a great mark.

bloodspirit
10th September 2022, 05:00 PM
Disappointing. Our execution of the basics leaves a lot to be desired. But there's been a nice rainbow over the ground! 🌈🌈🌈

Meg
10th September 2022, 05:02 PM
Swans women not giving up but the difference in experience between the two teams is clear.

Q3:
Swans 2.5 (17)
GWS 8.6 (54)

Meg
10th September 2022, 05:29 PM
A comprehensive win to GWS. Their players experience, skills and fitness made them too good for our new team. Lots for our women to learn.

Final score:
Swans 2.6 (18)
GWS 9.11 (65)

longmile
10th September 2022, 05:32 PM
I feel like we're not a bad team - its just fitness (and giving sloppy frees)

We play with heart and do some good things but often can't get numbers to the ball making us uncompetitive for patches

bloodspirit
10th September 2022, 06:01 PM
I think we've got a fair way to go. But we've got some good players and I have faith in our coaches and other staff. We're going to get there. Just gotta be patient and show our support.

I've been there cheering at both our home games (and both our pre-season fixtures too). I'm looking forward to becoming competitive.

giant
11th September 2022, 01:46 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed my first AFLW game, made more pleasant by lovely weather and an enthusiastic crowd. Giants way too good (at times, they were very good!), but no doubt we'll improve quickly.

joeykanga
11th September 2022, 03:17 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed my first AFLW game, made more pleasant by lovely weather and an enthusiastic crowd. Giants way too good (at times, they were very good!), but no doubt we'll improve quickly.
I came up with my daughter and niece who's doing a convi van surfing trip around Oz from her home in Cairns.
My niece is a very talented sportswoman having represented Qld in soccer and played some afl.
They loved it and so did I.
I think she's very interested now in trying out that option if AFLW
The ladies Pavilion was open to all and the atmosphere was great...everyone just being happy and enthusiastic.
And it was a pleasure to see all the young AFL players from maybe local teams really excited to march past and perhaps joining the AFLW in the not too distant future.
People stayed around for ages lots of family and friends and a good vibe probably the first game for all at the SCG.
And I saw Montana Ham looking happy and healthy on the way out...they were both impressed I knew her..my niece and daughter

Roadrunner
14th September 2022, 08:50 PM

Guys, I’ve just heard the AFLW have decided NOT to observe a minute’s silence on the passing of the Queen.

This is absolutely disgusting and they should hang their heads in shame. WTF? No matter what your views are re the monarchy, the Queen was a remarkable lady who devoted her life to her people for 70 years. If you can’t show respect for such a person please don’t bother administering our great game- I’m sure the girls playing were not asked about this and if they were and agreed, they should all quit.

mcs
14th September 2022, 09:11 PM
Guys, I’ve just heard the AFLW have decided NOT to observe a minute’s silence on the passing of the Queen.

This is absolutely disgusting and they should hang their heads in shame. WTF? No matter what your views are re the monarchy, the Queen was a remarkable lady who devoted her life to her people for 70 years. If you can’t show respect for such a person please don’t bother administering our great game- I’m sure the girls playing were not asked about this and if they were and agreed, they should all quit.

Only really mentioning half the story aren't you RR?

That was last round, and the decision to not observe it was because it was also Indigenous Round. That creates clear complexity that I'm sure you can perfectly comprehend.

I can certainly understand how they came to make such a decision It was handled poorly by the AFLW, but I don't see the actual decision (the process was a mess) as being as outrageous as you want to make it out to be.

On the broader issue all I will say is - there are many great people in the world that deserve to be remembered. What we have seen the last week is how the power created by heredity and wealth allows the narrative to be controlled, and in my honest opinion the myth to be blown way out of proportion.

Blood Fever
14th September 2022, 09:12 PM

Queen did a great job as queen of the United Kingdom. Ridiculous in this day and age that she was our head of state. Embarrassing. I admired her as a person but there is enough over the top coverage going on that missing a minutes silence will make no difference. Not to mention the effect the British Empire had on indigenous people.

Roadrunner
14th September 2022, 09:31 PM
Only really mentioning half the story aren't you RR?

That was last round, and the decision to not observe it was because it was also Indigenous Round. That creates clear complexity that I'm sure you can perfectly comprehend.

I can certainly understand how they came to make such a decision It was handled poorly by the AFLW, but I don't see the actual decision (the process was a mess) as being as outrageous as you want to make it out to be.

On the broader issue all I will say is - there are many great people in the world that deserve to be remembered. What we have seen the last week is how the power created by heredity and wealth allows the narrative to be controlled, and in my honest opinion the myth to be blown way out of proportion.

I disagree mcs. She chose to put her people and a sense of duty first for the major part of her life. That is more than we can say for our political leaders and a minute’s silence is just a token of recognition. No need to raise issues that occurred centuries ago and to connect it with the indegineous round.

Roadrunner
14th September 2022, 09:42 PM
Queen did a great job as queen of the United Kingdom. Ridiculous in this day and age that she was our head of state. Embarrassing. I admired her as a person but there is enough over the top coverage going on that missing a minutes silence will make no difference. Not to mention the effect the British Empire had on indigenous people.

Blood Fever, are you seriously saying that our girls playing our great game can’t bring themselves to give a minute’s silence for a woman who was respected all over the world? Let’s put politics aside for now.

Blood Fever
14th September 2022, 09:50 PM
Blood Fever, are you seriously saying that our girls playing our great game can’t bring themselves to give a minute’s silence for a woman who was respected all over the world? Let’s put politics aside for now.

Shouldn't be compulsory for someone who really had no effect on our country. Understand the tradition in the UK. Not relevant here IMO. Many unsung heroes who gave much greater service to this country. No minutes silence for them.

mcs
14th September 2022, 10:25 PM
No need to raise issues that occurred centuries ago and to connect it with the indegineous round.

The decision to not observe the minutes silence absolutely was connected to the fact it was Indigenous Round. What on earth are you on about?

And frankly, I consider your comment to be exceptionally disrepectful to the Indigenous Community. Just because you clearly hold a view they should just 'get over it' because of the passage of time, doesn't mean they have to. I can fully understand why, for many in the Indigenous community, they do not share you love of the British Monarchy and its born to rule leaders.

bloodspirit
14th September 2022, 11:33 PM
What did the Queen have to do with AFLW?? Plenty of other opportunities to commemorate her Majesty. I'm glad they are not doing a minute's silence, Indigenous round or no.

I'm also not in favour of the national anthem when the match is not international. What's it got to do with watching footy?

Roadrunner
15th September 2022, 09:53 AM
The decision to not observe the minutes silence absolutely was connected to the fact it was Indigenous Round. What on earth are you on about?

And frankly, I consider your comment to be exceptionally disrepectful to the Indigenous Community. Just because you clearly hold a view they should just 'get over it' because of the passage of time, doesn't mean they have to. I can fully understand why, for many in the Indigenous community, they do not share you love of the British Monarchy and its born to rule leaders.

I don’t mean to be disrespectful to anybody. My view is that we can’t correct events in past history and therefore we need to make the most of life as we live it now. I never said “they should just get over it” but blaming the poms or anybody else for that matter is totally non productive as people living today can’t undo all the wrongs that happened in the distant past.

Otherwise where do you draw the line? Every nation on Earth was invaded at some stage- so do we all hold a grudge for the rest of our lives?

RogueSwan
15th September 2022, 10:08 AM
...I'm also not in favour of the national anthem when the match is not international. What's it got to do with watching footy?
I don't mind it for the finals as long as it is sung in a manner that the crowd can join in. You don't want someone that "thinks the notes in the song are just a serving suggestion".
https://youtu.be/1W2tByqHEbE

Roadrunner
15th September 2022, 10:27 AM
What did the Queen have to do with AFLW?? Plenty of other opportunities to commemorate her Majesty. I'm glad they are not doing a minute's silence, Indigenous round or no.

I'm also not in favour of the national anthem when the match is not international. What's it got to do with watching footy?

You’re missing the point bloodspirit. She was a special lady- you don’t have to be directly connected to AFL to be respected by a minute’s silence! Is that really going to offend anyone? Even people who are staunch Republicans recognise her contributions and are paying their respects. Our young ladies should have done the same.

As for playing the anthem- finals are special and the closest we can get to international matches and it helps to create the atmosphere. We’ve had it since year dot and the crowd loves it!

bloodspirit
15th September 2022, 01:28 PM
You’re missing the point bloodspirit. She was a special lady- you don’t have to be directly connected to AFL to be respected by a minute’s silence! Is that really going to offend anyone? Even people who are staunch Republicans recognise her contributions and are paying their respects. Our young ladies should have done the same.

As for playing the anthem- finals are special and the closest we can get to international matches and it helps to create the atmosphere. We’ve had it since year dot and the crowd loves it!

I'm not missing your point. Possibly you're missing mine. My point is that irrespective of how special HM was there are plenty of other more appropriate fora to show respect. I can't see any reason to acknowledge formally the Queen's passing at an AFLW match any more than I do in my workplace. If she had had some special connection to the sport then I could understand the sport wishing to reciprocate the affection and acknowledge her - but she didn't - so it just doesn't seem vaguely appropriate to me.

As regards your sentiment about what "our young ladies should [do]", I don't agree either. While ER has plenty of admirers, monarchists and republicans alike, the admiration is not universal and it is not something anyone should have to feel, let alone by virtue of the fact they play AFLW.

As regards the national anthem being played at finals, I agree it adds to a sense of occasion and I don't mind it for that reason, but I see no logic to it and it feels vaguely inappropriate to me. I'm not losing sleep over it.

bloodspirit
15th September 2022, 08:01 PM
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-15/daisy-pearce-indigenous-round-minute-silence-queen-aflw/101443846

RogueSwan
16th September 2022, 10:18 AM
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-15/daisy-pearce-indigenous-round-minute-silence-queen-aflw/101443846

We need more "commentators" like Daisy. Her insights into games and things happening around them are always insightful.