PDA

View Full Version : AFLW Sydney Swans End of Season 2022 Wrap-Up

Meg
13th November 2022, 06:50 PM
Three teenagers, each in their AFLW debut year, dominated in the Swans AFLW Best & Fairest award: Cynthia Hamilton the winner, Montana Ham and Sofia Hurley. All three were also Rising Star nominees during the year, so very positive for our future.

Montana Ham also won the Player’s Player Award, while Alana Woodward was recognised as the Best Club Person.

Sydney Swans AFLW Club Champion 2022 – Top Votes

Cynthia Hamilton 81 (maximum 20 votes for Round 10 v Geelong)
Montana Ham 71 (maximum 20 votes for Round 4 v Port Adelaide)
Sofia Hurley 62 (maximum 20 votes for Round 8 vs Essendon)
Brooke Lochland 42
Ella Heads 38
Lauren Szigeti 33
Molly Eastman 31
Paige Sheppard 31
Lisa Steane 30

The Sydney Swans four AFLW coaches vote 5,4,3,2,1 at the completion of each game. The maximum amount of votes a player can receive each game is 20 votes.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1246588/hamilton-crowned-inaugural-aflw-club-champion

Scott Gowans has provided a positive review of the season at:

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/1246451/2022-aflw-season-review

13th November 2022, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the summary Meg

longmile
13th November 2022, 08:53 PM
Thought Ella Heads would be up there for club champion. Obviously a bit of a hard ask being a club champion as a defender but thought she was one of our most consistent and impressive

bloodspirit
13th November 2022, 10:44 PM
I think that is a really outstanding result for Ella Heads!

None of those names are surprising, having seen the season but it's impressive to see not only Heads but also Eastman and Sheppard in the top 10. I couldn't have predicted any of them before the season (not that I had heard of any of them - but just based on what I read about their experience etc.).

aardvark
18th November 2022, 10:26 AM
Congratulations to Swans Academy members Olivia Morris and Marnie Robinson who have been selected in the AFL Academy for 2023. Hopefully we'll get to see them in senior Swans uniforms at the end of 2023.

Ruck'n'Roll
27th November 2022, 03:26 PM
Story in Zero Hanger, says the Swans have the most AFLW members of any club (7,757)
I wonder if the pre-first season Foundation Membership helped with this - either way I think this is an astonishing achievement and hope we hang onto these members.

Mel_C
27th November 2022, 07:28 PM
Story in Zero Hanger, says the Swans have the most AFLW members of any club (7,757)
I wonder if the pre-first season Foundation Membership helped with this - either way I think this is an astonishing achievement and hope we hang onto these members.
This is great news. I agree that the Foundation Membership would have helped as you only had to pay $25 this season. I read the article on the Swans app and it said we had 4388 Foundation members last season.

The article said the top three clubs were Sydney Swans (7,757), Adelaide Crows (6,706) and Geelong Cats (5,938).

I was actually surprised that the successful teams like Brisbane and Melbourne had low membership numbers.

Ruck'n'Roll
27th November 2022, 07:47 PM
My understanding is that next season it will be $75 or possibly a bit more.
I can't see that being too much of a deterrent Mel C, but I could be wrong.

Meg
28th November 2022, 01:34 PM
Is anyone able to clarify if next season’s AFLW membership is on sale?

There is a link at the bottom of the Swans article on the record AFLW numbers this year (on Swans website) but as far as I can see it only takes me to renewal of the men’s membership.

I’ve already had my (men’s only?) membership renewed by automatic rollover with payment debited to my credit card. But I don’t know what the payment amount covers. I can’t get the total amount to tally with what I expected to be the component parts and Ticketmaster don’t provide a detailed invoice.

Does the automatic rollover include the AFLW membership? And if not, why not?

bloodspirit
28th November 2022, 01:44 PM
I doubt the next season AFLW membership is on sale yet. They don't even know when it will be yet.

However, I did learn today that their pre-season is going to start in May and that they have off-season programs to keep them going in the meantime.

Meg
28th November 2022, 01:57 PM
Thanks bs you are probably right that AFLW memberships are not yet on sale.

But it is remiss of the Swans not to make that explicit in their membership marketing. Particularly in a link at the bottom of an AFLW article…..

Mel_C
28th November 2022, 07:30 PM
My understanding is that next season it will be $35 or possibly a bit more.
I can't see that being too much of a deterrent Mel C, but I could be wrong.
I think the total this year was $75, which included game access. I paid $50 as a Foundation member and then $25 this year to upgrade my membership to game access. I didn't attend any games but I'm happy to contribute to the Women's team 🙂.

Edit: I was checking my emails about AFLW membership renewal due to Meg's question above, and it says the 2023 membership price is $50.

Meg
28th November 2022, 07:47 PM
I think the total this year was $75, which included game access. I paid $50 as a Foundation member and then $25 this year to upgrade my membership to game access. I didn't attend any games but I'm happy to contribute to the Women's team [emoji846].

Edit: I was checking my emails about AFLW membership renewal due to Meg's question above, and it says the 2023 membership price is $50.

Thanks Mel. I too paid the $50 foundation + &25 game access this year.

I am very happy to pay $50 for 2023 AFLW membership but am not aware of the email you refer to. I must have skipped over the detail. I’d be grateful if you can tell me a bit more - does the email say when the AFLW memberships will go on sale?

Mel_C
28th November 2022, 07:57 PM

There is a link at the bottom of the Swans article on the record AFLW numbers this year (on Swans website) but as far as I can see it only takes me to renewal of the men’s membership.

I’ve already had my (men’s only?) membership renewed by automatic rollover with payment debited to my credit card. But I don’t know what the payment amount covers. I can’t get the total amount to tally with what I expected to be the component parts and Ticketmaster don’t provide a detailed invoice.

Does the automatic rollover include the AFLW membership? And if not, why not?

I checked my emails because I remember receiving something about membership renewals. On October 21 I received the email, but it reads more like it's for renewing membership for the men's team. As I am an AFL Member with Swans Club Support, I don't pay AFL membership through the club. But I do have AFLW membership and that is listed in the email for me to renew. When I click on the link and sign in, it takes me to a page to pay my AFLW invoice of $50.

mcs
28th November 2022, 10:30 PM

Does the automatic rollover include the AFLW membership? And if not, why not?Yes it does. My rollover includes $50 for basic women's membership for next season.

Sent from my CPH2307 using Tapatalk

Meg
28th November 2022, 10:32 PM
Thanks Mel.

I know I paid for a men’s Platinum + Premiership Club membership. I supposedly also received $35 credit for a finals seat return. But I seem to have paid $75 more than those should equate to.

The AFLW membership might be all or part of this? Lol, would have been nice to get a detailed invoice (I can’t find one in my online Swans membership account).

I’ll send a query to the club.

They should elevate the marketing of sales of AFLW membership though, if it is indeed on sale for 2023.

Ps: just saw MCS post above, so perhaps the $75 includes basic $50 AFLW membership + $25 for seats???

Meg
28th November 2022, 10:48 PM
Ok, I dug around a bit more in my online Swans membership account and I have found details.

I have paid for 2023: Premiership Club Platinum 11 Adult PLUS AFLW Admission Membership Adult - with the AFLW membership = $75.

So the $50 membership must exclude admission to games, I think.

mcs
28th November 2022, 10:49 PM
Ok, I dug around a bit more in my online Swans membership account and I have found details.

I have paid for 2023: Premiership Club Platinum 11 Adult PLUS AFLW Admission Membership Adult - with the AFLW membership = $75.

So the $50 membership must exclude admission to games, I think.Yep that sounds right. I just had basic foundation membership but didn't add game element in, so assume it rolled over like that.

Sent from my CPH2307 using Tapatalk

bloodspirit
12th December 2022, 04:27 PM
Winless Sydney Swans find their own way to gauge their AFLW credentials through season seven (theinnersanctum.com.au) (https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/winless-sydney-swans-find-their-own-way-to-gauge-their-aflw-credentials-through-season-seven/)