PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat Round 3: the other games. So, just how crap are Geelong?

dejavoodoo44
30th March 2023, 11:48 AM
While there's been a certain amount of media interest in Clarkson coaching against his former club, the more interesting aspect of that game for me is, just how much suffering are the Hawthorn fans due this year? I mean, a thrashing by North and the general consensus is likely to be that it's going to be a very long season. A part of me quite likes that idea, but strangely, I think I prefer a Hawthorn win. That is, a convincing North win and we'll undoubtedly have more converts to the cult of Clarkson: which like any cult, might have some sort of initial appeal, but in the long term, tends to dissolve into a saga of recriminations, faction fights and madness, when people try to defend their hero, while it becomes more apparent that their hero has issues. So, is that what we really want for the AFL?
Perhaps another interesting aside to the game is that it's being played in Tasmania. It seems that the AFL have realised that there should be a team in Tasmania, but they haven't realised that there's probably too many teams in Victoria. So, since both teams already have a presence in Tasmania, then perhaps a bit more spice can added to matches between the two? For instance, if the hypothetical timetable for a team to start in Tasmania is 2026, then every match between Hawthorn and North could count in their own league table, and whoever is behind at the end of 2025, has to permanently relocate to Hobart or Launceston. Sounds fair to me.

Anyway, tonight's match is between the Western Bulldogs and Brisbane. When starting this thread, I noticed that a heading from this time last season was, "Ooh, Mr Beveridge has just exploded". Which I assume refers to a press conference blow up from the Bulldogs coach. And I'm also assuming that there's a fair chance of another blow up, if they lose tonight. And those of you who've been reading my ramblings over the years, know that I wouldn't mind seeing the more temperamental coaches, being assisted to become even more temperamental.
So, some suggested questions for tonight would be: "0 and 3, you've got no chance now, have you", "Dunkley was great tonight, wasn't he?" and "Do you think that you're still attracting negative karma from the 2016 grand final?"

The Friday night game is Collingwood v Richmond. Strangely, Richmond seemed to play better last week when Dusty was taken off. So, I guess there'll be some desperate Richmond fans, hoping that Dusty missing the whole game will improve their chances. Unfortunately for them, Hopper is also missing, so there's every likelihood that the Collingwood bandwagon will keep on rolling.

After the previously mentioned Hawthorn v North game, the other Saturday afternoon game is GWS v Carlton. A few years back, when I viewed GWS as the AFL's bloated, spoilt rotten, love child, I would've gone for their opposition in pretty well every game. But now, that affection seems to have been removed and their report cards document a troubling history of exam failures, so I'm starting to warm to them. So, go Giants.

Next up is St Kilda v Essendon. I suppose that St Kilda fans would have been feeling quite optimistic, after they overcame a very lengthy injury list to thrash the Bulldogs. But then it was announced, that arguably their most important player, Jack Steele, had broken his collarbone. Even I can see how cruel that is, so if Ross Lyon can keep his side winning, I might be tempted to take back all the nasty things that I've said about him in the past.

The other Saturday is the Adelaide showdown. Which I'm quite apathetic about, but I suppose a Port loss would be better for us.

The first Sunday game is Gold Coast hosting Geelong. The loser of this goes 0/3 and will be in a fair bit of early season trouble. Let us all hope that it is Geelong.

Next up, we play Melbourne. Strangely, the betting all week has had Melbourne as clear favourites. I might be biased, but I don't really understand that? Are they basing it on Melbourne being quite impressive after the lights went out and the game as a contest was well and truly over? Do they consider a clear loss against Brisbane to be better form than thrashing Hawthorn? Do they reason that the loss of Gawn is less of a disadvantage than the return of Franklin? Who knows.

The Western derby closes the round. Once again, I'm a touch apathetic about the result. I guess that a Fremantle loss would be better for us, but their fans aren't quite as the West Coast fans, so, again, who knows?

bloodspirit
30th March 2023, 03:06 PM
Thanks deja, entertaining and enjoyable intro!

After winning our own match the results I would most love to see are:

1. Gold Coast beat Geelong.
2. Saints beat Essendon.
3. Daylight
4. More daylight
5. Lions beat Dogs.

Don't much mind about the rest, but I might care if/when I start watching. I guess it could help if Collingwood get taken down a notch, then again I like the idea of them spending all their petrol tickets in the first half of the season.

Maltopia
30th March 2023, 05:04 PM
Next up, we play Melbourne. Strangely, the betting all week has had Melbourne as clear favourites. I might be biased, but I don't really understand that? Are they basing it on Melbourne being quite impressive after the lights went out and the game as a contest was well and truly over? Do they consider a clear loss against Brisbane to be better form than thrashing Hawthorn? Do they reason that the loss of Gawn is less of a disadvantage than the return of Franklin?

Melbourne is at home and has All Australian ruck in Grundy.

So they don’t figure Gawn being out will be a major issue. They have also won a recent premiership and there is still a suspicion by some that we won’t recover from the GF thrashing (first two games were not against top 8 sides so too early to tell).

Now if Steven May doesn’t get up on Sunday (he was listed as “Test”), then I can see the odds really closing, as he has nullified Franklin’s scoring quite well in recent games.

Nico
30th March 2023, 05:09 PM
With the newly arrogant Collingwood supporters getting into some fiesty crowd behaviour last week, I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the crowd and after the game.

Sandridge
30th March 2023, 06:44 PM
Thanks deja for starting us off again!

I sooo want the Lions to make the Poodles start to the year even worse! Go Brissy! Please!
Don't care too much about Pies/Tigers as I dislike both but Collingwood are looking very, very good.
Hate both Hawthorn and North so don't care.
Giants to beat Carlton please!
Don't really like Essendon but hate St.Kilda more so go Bombers.
Ambivalent about Power/Crows.
Would love to see the Suns beat Geelong.
Ambivalent about the western Derby.

GO YOU MIGHTY BLOODS!

dejavoodoo44
30th March 2023, 06:57 PM
Melbourne is at home and has All Australian ruck in Grundy.

So they don’t figure Gawn being out will be a major issue. They have also won a recent premiership and there is still a suspicion by some that we won’t recover from the GF thrashing (first two games were not against top 8 sides so too early to tell).

Now if Steven May doesn’t get up on Sunday (he was listed as “Test”), then I can see the odds really closing, as he has nullified Franklin’s scoring quite well in recent games.
Sure, but I dunno? While I know that there's a trend of sides that get thrashed in the GF, not doing all that well next season, I wonder if it's any better for teams that went out in straight sets. Which happened to Melbourne last year, including a QF loss to us. Which was their second loss to us; both of which were at the MCG.

i'm-uninformed2
30th March 2023, 07:49 PM
Watching the first quarter, both sides have popped some speed. All helter skelter, no method, just “aaaaaggggghhhhh”.

wolftone57
30th March 2023, 07:50 PM
I think the more pertinent question is;

How crap are the Bullies. They are 17th for defensive actions, 17 for contested possession, 17th for pressure, their much vaunted mids have been demolished in 16th. You don't turn that around in 1 week generally. There are major problems. I think they are the most overrated side in the AFL. If things go their way the turn it on and pressure. If they don't then they fold. I think Lions, who have a similar problem with team defence, will smash them because they can score.

Hawks are crap but so are any side that has a drastic rebuild forced on them by a stupid coach who was trying to win the unwinnable 5th premiership by buying in dross. Gunston saw the writing on the wall and bailed. I wonder if anyone has ever called him Norman?

I think the Eagles win was a flash in the pan. GWS were as soft as butter and seemed off.

Saints are going very well, especially considering their injury toll. Ross has gotten them playing a decent brand of footy. In saying that the Bombers have been good.

I think Tigers are way overrated. Yes, they have a few stars and some talent but there is a huge gap between them and the next tier. They rely on everyone doing their job. If someone, a star or a soldier, do not perform it stuffs them completely and it only needs as little as one or two.

Cats a giving everyone a wedgie. I think they have a few injuries and are betting on them coming back at the right time. Hawkins is not the player he was and is having trouble finding fitness. That happens when your body gives out and you do not pre-season, ask Lance he missed a whole season because the coaches excused him from training. I'd love to see the Suns gut them like a fish but I can't see it

Freo or Eagles ho hum. Too far away to care. I suppose closer to me than you guys but still far too far in the only state with a KKK branch. I refused to visit after I heard that.

Power outage? Crow cull? Never mind.

GWS v Blues. The Blues have half of GWS playing for them anyway, the other half that is any good is ex Swans hehe. I mean, they could just call themselves the Sydney Blues. But if they don't get it done against the developing Migits then they are mugs.

As for us v The Dinner Plain (it's OK I'd never heard of this ski resort until now either) Dees well, we had better be on our toes. We need to bring INTENSITY. Our pressure has been off the dial. We need to maintain that pressure. We need to keep hitting players up. No @@@@ty mistakes in fumling the ball like last week. If we had not fumbled so much, night games there are excuses, we would have won by 200.

stevoswan
30th March 2023, 08:31 PM
I think the more pertinent question is;

How crap are the Bullies. They are 17th for defensive actions, 17 for contested possession, 17th for pressure, their much vaunted mids have been demolished in 16th. You don't turn that around in 1 week generally. There are major problems. I think they are the most overrated side in the AFL. If things go their way the turn it on and pressure. If they don't then they fold. I think Lions, who have a similar problem with team defence, will smash them because they can score.

This isn't aging well.....even though I love the sentiment! :)

Dogs out pressuring and out scoring the Lions......for now. Let's hope they fall in a heap.

Maltopia
30th March 2023, 08:35 PM
I tipped the Lions to win by 22. They haven’t even scored 20 points by half time is not a good sign.

Sandridge
30th March 2023, 08:42 PM
The Poodles have been ordinary but Brisbane have been awful! Let's hope the Lions can rally in the second half and consign the Poodles to a 0 - 3 start to the season!

dejavoodoo44
30th March 2023, 08:43 PM
You'd think that with both Dale Thomas and Daisy Pearce in the commentary team, then the other commentators would resist the urge to call Thomas, Daisy. But no.

Kafka's Ghost
30th March 2023, 09:08 PM
Are Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood two of the most overrated forwards in the game, or am I just relieved the Swans didn’t put big money out there to get Daniher?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

i'm-uninformed2
30th March 2023, 09:17 PM
You'd think that with both Dale Thomas and Daisy Pearce in the commentary team, then the other commentators would resist the urge to call Thomas, Daisy. But no.

Ha! Imagine the results if Luke Darcy got involved.

dejavoodoo44
30th March 2023, 09:28 PM
Ha! Imagine the results if Luke Darcy got involved.
He'd start calling himself Daisy.

longmile
30th March 2023, 09:43 PM
Pretty ugly high turn over, high umpire involvement kind of game

Sandridge
30th March 2023, 09:44 PM
Lions back within 2pts with 5 to go. Come on Lions!

Lions not up to it! Hate to admit it but the Bulldogs were better. Lions aimless and awful.

i'm-uninformed2
What’s with Beveridge picking boogers in the coaches box?

stevoswan
Two points now.....go Lions!

dejavoodoo44
30th March 2023, 09:45 PM
Is a draw a good result?

longmile
30th March 2023, 09:48 PM
So happy we don't have Daniher

stevoswan
30th March 2023, 09:52 PM
Dogs will win.....frustrating a-holes!

Sandridge
30th March 2023, 09:56 PM
Yeah, stevo, they weren't good tonight but were better than Brisbane who were terrible!

i'm-uninformed2
30th March 2023, 09:57 PM
I will say, good on Ugle-Hagan after the week he’s had.

dejavoodoo44
30th March 2023, 09:57 PM
Probably a deserved win, as I thought Brisbane's attack was pretty dire. I'd say it was totally predictable where they were going, except they missed too many targets, for it to be totally predictable.

dejavoodoo44
30th March 2023, 10:07 PM
It's nice to see how happy Arthur Jones is.

RogueSwan
31st March 2023, 09:01 AM
What’s with Beveridge picking boogers in the coaches box?

when everyone knows you save that for the car :smile:

stevoswan
31st March 2023, 05:41 PM

Absolutely! I know we don't like the Dogs around here much but I tip my hat to Jamara after last night, 5 classy goals is a great response to the ignorance directed at him and I hail his Winmar moment. It was great to see.

Velour&Ruffles
31st March 2023, 06:51 PM
So happy we don't have Daniher

Yep. In practical terms it was Daniher or Papley. We won.

stevoswan
1st April 2023, 03:26 PM
So how crap are Hawthorn?

Not as crap as Norf apparently! Not over yet but Dawks up by 25 pts mid third quarter. The form guide is all over the shop this season.:rolleyes:

Sandridge
1st April 2023, 03:30 PM
Hawks up by 19 nearing 3/4 time.

I hate both clubs with a passion and both teams are coached by grubs.

Disconcertingly, I'm finding myself preferring a Hawthorn win so that some of the wind is taken out of Clarkson's sails.

Ludwig
1st April 2023, 06:40 PM
I feel for those GWS players. Playing in front of a packed stadium of rabid screaming fans, expecting first round draft picks to be able to hit an open target. The pressure is getting to them.

dejavoodoo44
1st April 2023, 07:17 PM
I feel for those GWS players. Playing in front of a packed stadium of rabid screaming fans, expecting first round draft picks to be able to hit an open target. The pressure is getting to them.
I tuned into ABC Radio with about five minutes to go, because it appeared that the Giants might do us a favour. In that time, I don't think they had a forward 50 entry until about ten seconds before the siren. Which left me wondering why I bothered.

Mel_C
1st April 2023, 08:05 PM
Saints are smashing the Bombers. I gave up and have switched to the Showdown.

Today in the Hawthorn game Kellie Underwood was talking about the players missing for the Hawks and she mentioned Chad Warner instead of Chad Wingard. She has our Chad on her mind 🙂.

dejavoodoo44
1st April 2023, 08:25 PM

Today in the Hawthorn game Kellie Underwood was talking about the players missing for the Hawks and she mentioned Chad Warner instead of Chad Wingard. She has our Chad on her mind 🙂.
Yes, pretty sure that our Chad is the Chad.

dejavoodoo44
1st April 2023, 09:51 PM
St Kilda are a lot more fun to watch, than what I was expecting from them this season.

Mark26
1st April 2023, 10:09 PM
St Kilda are a lot more fun to watch, than what I was expecting from them this season.

It's got to be down to their coach. Ross Lyon has been around the block a few times. It's amazing what an experienced coach can do. Clarko is another who is having immediate impact. Scott too. I don't particularly like them, but they do know what they're doing and should give their supporters some joy this year.

Southern Swan15
1st April 2023, 10:54 PM
David King, my god, that bloke is out of touch...

First, he said Rankin is the best small forward by a long way in the AFL... then he says Nicks the the missing piece to take ADL to the finals...

Just complete and utter garbage from a so called "expert commentator"

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Ludwig
1st April 2023, 11:11 PM
David King, my god, that bloke is out of touch...

First, he said Rankin is the best small forward by a long way in the AFL... then he says Nicks the the missing piece to take ADL to the finals...

Just complete and utter garbage from a so called "expert commentator"

David King is jealous of meteoric rise of Kane Cornes and believes has has to become more farcical to stay in touch, but it doesn't suit him. Kane is a natural buffoon with endearing obtrusiveness.

dejavoodoo44
2nd April 2023, 09:54 AM
It's got to be down to their coach. Ross Lyon has been around the block a few times. It's amazing what an experienced coach can do. Clarko is another who is having immediate impact. Scott too. I don't particularly like them, but they do know what they're doing and should give their supporters some joy this year.
Yes, but that wasn't what I was expecting from a Lyon coached team, as I tend to think of his teams playing quite dour football and him as a coach much more interested in defensive systems than attacking flair. So, either my perceptions were a little unfair or he's lightened up in his time away from the game. And now, with St Kilda's long injury list and 3/0 record, he'd be my early favourite for coach of the year.

2nd April 2023, 10:17 AM
Dawson BOG in the Showdown. I really miss him in our colours :-(

Crows did the smart thing making him captain.

Nico
2nd April 2023, 10:38 AM

She is making a number of mistakes in her broadcasting.

Mel_C
2nd April 2023, 02:57 PM
I agree. Their young players have been really impressive. And what about Mason Woods? Normally he only plays well against us.

dejavoodoo44
2nd April 2023, 04:21 PM
Suns just in front of Geelong at half time. Should be a bit more, but the forwards have missed a lot of shots and King seems to have forgotten how to catch during his long injury break.

mcs
2nd April 2023, 05:30 PM
Suns every chance to roll Geelong and leave them 0-3. Come on Suns.

dejavoodoo44
2nd April 2023, 05:34 PM
Suns every chance to roll Geelong and leave them 0-3. Come on Suns.

25 points in front now with less than five minutes to go. Can't see Geelong getting back from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Although, Rohan just cut the margin back to 19.

Sandridge
2nd April 2023, 05:39 PM
Wow! Suns!!

mcs
2nd April 2023, 05:40 PM
What a shame the old age pensioners are zero and three. Said no-one ever.

dejavoodoo44
2nd April 2023, 05:41 PM
Geelong officially 0/3. Looks like Rowell, Miller and Anderson smashed them at the clearances. Weller was playing beautifully when I was watching the first half. Good celebration for David Swallow, the first Sun to reach 200 games.

Danzar
2nd April 2023, 05:46 PM
Thread title updated [emoji16]

dejavoodoo44
2nd April 2023, 06:22 PM
Thread title updated [emoji16]

If Fremantle beat West Coast, Geelong will be the only winless team.

Danzar
2nd April 2023, 07:35 PM
If Fremantle beat West Coast, Geelong will be the only winless team.Looking prospective

3rd April 2023, 03:44 PM
Geelong about to play a number of lesser teams and will scoot up the ladder. Hawks, WCE, us at Kardinia, Essendon, Cows at Kardinia .....

Good to see GC win, if they went 0-3 it would have been difficult to make finals.

bloodspirit
3rd April 2023, 07:18 PM
It's so nice to see that all the teams have a win after 3 rounds. :redface: Except for Geelong, of course! :rofl:

crackedactor 01
4th April 2023, 11:28 AM
Geelong about to play a number of lesser teams and will scoot up the ladder. Hawks, WCE, us at Kardinia, Essendon, Cows at Kardinia .....

Good to see GC win, if they went 0-3 it would have been difficult to make finals.

Geelong won't make the finals.

Nico
4th April 2023, 01:20 PM
Can't wait for Geelong to ask for a priority pick.