PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Vale Ron Barassi

i'm-uninformed2
16th September 2023, 06:45 PM
His family have announced his passing at age 87.

One of the giants of the game, and what he did to put his hand up to help get our club off its knees was a seminal moment in our fortunes.

Blood Fever
16th September 2023, 06:53 PM
Legendary figure

Captain
16th September 2023, 06:57 PM
Absolute legend. One of the all time greats for the competition and our club

liz
16th September 2023, 06:59 PM
That's sad news.

There are probably a dozen or so people who can be credited for huge contributions in taking Our Club from where it was in the early 1990s to where it is today. He's on that list. His time contribution may have been less than many others, but he gave us a credibility that was lacking and provided some foundations for others to build on.

cruiser
16th September 2023, 07:17 PM
Sad news. It’s a shame the Dees couldn’t have won for him last night before he died. As coach turned Sydney from the team that lost 26 games in a row to the team that has hardly ever missed a finals series. Vale Ron Barassi.

troyjones2525
16th September 2023, 07:59 PM
Still no post from the Swans acknowledging it yet... It's pretty ordinary considering what an important part he played in our recent history and survival in Sydney. I'm sure they will in due course, but there's been a hell of a lot of social media posts already from many football outlets.

R.I.P. Ron.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Foreign Legion
16th September 2023, 07:59 PM
I spoke to him at the SCG in the "Aftermatch" room which would be at the Kenny Williams end. He would laser focus on what you said and considered all of it.

I also bough him a double bundy and coke and he then bought me a schooner of beer. A true thinker on the game but passion was probably no. 1 with Ron.

Possibly the greatest name in Australian Football - Vale.

Mel_C
16th September 2023, 08:01 PM
I was so shocked when I read the news about his passing. As has been mentioned, he was only with the Swans for a short time. But that time was a crucial step towards the successful club we are today.

I'll always remember when a player kissed him after that last game we won in 1995!

Nico
16th September 2023, 08:04 PM
That's sad news.

There are probably a dozen or so people who can be credited for huge contributions in taking Our Club from where it was in the early 1990s to where it is today. He's on that list. His time contribution may have been less than many others, but he gave us a credibility that was lacking and provided some foundations for others to build on.

A great football brain and a good bloke to boot. When he came to the Swans the first thing he noticed was how unfit we were. When the fitness started to turn around so did our fortunes.

stevoswan
16th September 2023, 08:05 PM
Wow, I just heard this after turning over to tonight's game on Seven. The Swans owe this man many thanks for dragging us from despair to respect. A giant of the VFL/AFL world.

Born just down the road from me in Guilford, Victoria. There is a cairn just outside that town recognising their most famous son. Vale Ronald Dale.

Thunder Shaker
16th September 2023, 08:08 PM
A great loss for the football world.

I have always appreciated his stint as coach that helped turn the club around. In a few months, he took the club from a basket case that got belted by 20 goals in a half by the second-bottom side, to a more competitive club that lost to one of the Grand Finalists by one point. While he was coach, the club recruited Lockett, Roos, and O'Loughlin. As coach, he left the club in much better shape than he found it.

Thanks, Ron.

Sandridge
16th September 2023, 08:23 PM
That's sad news.

So right, Liz. The arrival of Ronald Dale at our club gave us the credibility we lacked and he was one of the many people who helped transform us from a basket case to the successful, well respected club we are today.

Legendary for his playing, coaching, influence on and passion for the game. Vale Ron Barassi.

Dow
16th September 2023, 09:27 PM
Instrumental in starting the WA Supporters club, I will never personally forget what he idid for us ! RIP

KSAS
17th September 2023, 01:40 AM
I was so shocked when I read the news about his passing. As has been mentioned, he was only with the Swans for a short time. But that time was a crucial step towards the successful club we are today.

I'll always remember when a player kissed him after that last game we won in 1995!
+1 Shocked & sad when I heard the news. Coached our team in its darkest hour. Monumental figure in the halycon 70's when I began going to the footy.

I recall him living around the corner from our family run Milk Bar in South Melbourne when he was coach of North in the mid 70's. Came in one day during the summer in his North footy shorts, white singlet & barefoot to buy a packet of cigarettes, I was alone as a young teenager behind the counter. Trembling as I handed him his change, fearing he would scream and make me do 100 push ups if I got it wrong (manual tills back then). Still remember the smirk on his face as he sensed my fear. (It started a rumour in my family at the time, that he moved into South Melbourne as it would be the next club he would coach. That didn't happen till 20 years later in Sydney!).

IIRC it was Dean McRae (who we recruited from North) who kissed Barassi after that last game in 1995?

MarshallG
17th September 2023, 01:59 AM
Since 1874, few people sit above RB in terms of single-handed contribution to The Red and White

KTigers
17th September 2023, 02:31 AM
I think his first year (93) we only won one game (it snapped the 26 game losing streak). Then in 94 we won 4. But the real turning
point was 95 when we brought in Plugger, Roos and Stuey Maxfield and won 8 games. I'm not sure of his tactical skills as a coach
back then but he gave the club crediibility due this stature with the game. And I think because of him the players started to
believe in themselves and so the likes of Kelly, Dunkley, Cresswell, Bayes, Lewis lifted to career best form. It was a unique combination
and in a way laid the groundwork for where we are today. I don't know for sure, but he always seemed like a decent guy too.

KTigers
17th September 2023, 02:38 AM
I think his first year (93) we only won one game (it snapped the 26 game losing streak). Then in 94 we won 4. But the real turning
point was 95 when we brought in Plugger, Roos and Stuey Maxfield and won 8 games. I'm not sure of his tactical skills as a coach
back then but he gave the club crediibility due this stature with the game. And I think because of him the players started to
believe in themselves and so the likes of Kelly, Dunkley, Cresswell, Bayes, Lewis lifted to career best form. It was a unique combination
and in a way laid the groundwork for where we are today. I don't know for sure, but he always seemed like a decent guy too.

KSAS
17th September 2023, 09:54 AM
Well described KT. Barassi did come to the rescue of a woman who was being bashed up in St Kilda in 2009. She said Barassi (72yo) saved her life. Barassi got hit in the head for his troubles which affected his memory ever since. He was awarded a Bravery medal.

KTigers
17th September 2023, 10:28 AM
It was an interesting time when he came in. It was almost like we were starting again as a club after the weirdness of the Edelsten
period then the dark times of very early 90s. There were changes at the board / admin / organisational level as well at the time.
We got serious about being a successful footy club. I think too the eventual success of Barassi at the Swans was also the playbook
for the AFL to install Kevin Sheedy as the inaugural coach at GWS even though it was almost 20 years later.

royboy42
17th September 2023, 11:19 AM
One of the (few) advantages of being over 80 is having the memories of seeing great players in their prime live. Not on grainy , old , black and white film , but right in front of your eyes, as it happened.Barass was awesome, in the literal sense of the word.I don't remember anyone who could turn a game off his own boot, as often and seemingly as effortlessly as he did.The Demons played in so many finals in the fifties that I saw a lot of him, much more than the couple of times he routinely tore the 'Roys apart each season.He'd rest in the back pocket as ruckmen did then...no interchanges.Melbourne would get in a bit of trouble; he'd come onto the ball, restore order in blistering 15/20 minutes bursts, then back to the pocket.And the team that Roos took to the flag in '05 was created from Barassi's nucleus.R.I.P Ron.

Blood Fever
17th September 2023, 12:17 PM
Thanks RB. Didn't get to see him in his prime. Perhaps his greatest feat was coaching North to their first ever flag with some help from the short lived '10 year' rule.

Mountain Man
17th September 2023, 12:45 PM
I was working at the Sydney Showgrounds, which was where the Swans were then located and trained. There was a substantial canteen there for staff, tenants and exhibitors. Barassi seemed quite old and stooped and was quite unknown to the fellow diners.

I lunched with him a couple of times, and he was indeed a gentleman.

Bloods05
17th September 2023, 04:19 PM
One of the (few) advantages of being over 80 is having the memories of seeing great players in their prime live. Not on grainy , old , black and white film , but right in front of your eyes, as it happened.Barass was awesome, in the literal sense of the word.I don't remember anyone who could turn a game off his own boot, as often and seemingly as effortlessly as he did.The Demons played in so many finals in the fifties that I saw a lot of him, much more than the couple of times he routinely tore the 'Roys apart each season.He'd rest in the back pocket as ruckmen did then...no interchanges.Melbourne would get in a bit of trouble; he'd come onto the ball, restore order in blistering 15/20 minutes bursts, then back to the pocket.And the team that Roos took to the flag in '05 was created from Barassi's nucleus.R.I.P Ron.

He had a dynamism about him that he retained long after his playing days.

Roadrunner
18th September 2023, 10:52 AM
He had a dynamism about him that he retained long after his playing days.

An amazing player and coach. He had an office furniture business in Melbourne and one day when I walked in he was playing chess with one of his staff. Can’t recall who won!
R.I.P. Ron- a true Legend.

Nico
18th September 2023, 02:54 PM
An amazing player and coach. He had an office furniture business in Melbourne and one day when I walked in he was playing chess with one of his staff. Can’t recall who won!
R.I.P. Ron- a true Legend.

From memory the office furniture business got torched.

lwjoyner
19th September 2023, 02:17 PM
what a great peice on the swans wbsite about RDB worth reading.

Roadrunner
19th September 2023, 02:38 PM
From memory the office furniture business got torched.

Not sure what happened Nico but it closed not much later!

KTigers
20th September 2023, 06:23 AM
Not sure what happened Nico but it closed not much later!

I suspect the failure rate for businesses started by ex-footballers is even higher than the normal failure rate,
and that's saying something. Someone needs to tell them being good at football only means one thing.
They are good at football.

Roadrunner
20th September 2023, 08:58 AM
I suspect the failure rate for businesses started by ex-footballers is even higher than the normal failure rate,
and that's saying something. Someone needs to tell them being good at football only means one thing.
They are good at football.

Exactly. Of course, they were not full professionals back then and the money wasn’t what it is today. Some went on to own pubs and so traded on their identity and renown which was fair enough. A footballer’s career is not very long on average but I would have loved to play at that level if I had the ability!😊

Ronald Dale was unbelievable and helped us during a very difficult period. Thank you Ron!

stevoswan
20th September 2023, 10:15 PM
Renaming premiership cup one of several options discussed to remember Barassi's legacy (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/18/renaming-premiership-cup-one-of-several-options-discussed-to-remember/)

I know the Hun in Melbourne can be a very annoying paper (it's basically Murdoch trash) but on Monday (I think) it had a great full page article on Barrasi saving the Swans in their hour of need and the influence he had on the club.....complete with a great photo of him in full Swans playing kit taken before his final coaching session with the team. A great read.

PS: I support the the renaming of the Premiership Cup, The Barrasi Cup.....or even a stand at the MCG to be named in his honour.

Blood Fever
11th November 2023, 06:09 AM
Watched some of the Ron Barassi memorial service yesterday. Paul Kelly spoke in a pre recorded segment and Richard Colless spoke live at the MCG. Kelly was good but Colless was outstanding. Hasn't missed a beat since he retired some years ago.

KSAS
11th November 2023, 07:44 AM
Watched Barassi's state funeral at the MCG on tv yesterday, hosted by Eddie. Noticed John Longmire was present, which was good to see our club represented.

Barassi's son speech was revealing in growing up havi g such a famous father & the pain Ron endured towards the end.

Lots of great tributes & antidodal stories.

Found interesting article on the club's website, highlighting a newspaper clip back in 1975, where Barassi suggested we should move to Sydney for our long term security & expansion of the code. Didn't recall this at the time!

Barassi was the coach of North at the time, who would go on and win their first flag that year.

He was a such a huge figure in the game. Hope they do name a stand after him in his honour.

i'm-uninformed2
11th November 2023, 01:31 PM
Watched some of the Ron Barassi memorial service yesterday. Paul Kelly spoke in a pre recorded segment and Richard Colless spoke live at the MCG. Kelly was good but Colless was outstanding. Hasn't missed a beat since he retired some years ago.

Colless was outstanding, wasn’t he.

I know this is a thread about Barassi and he deserves every accolade he gets, and I’m a bit biased as I got to know Colless socially quite a bit.

But when the history of our club is written, Colless’ influence and contribution was as great and crucial as anyone on the football side of things. We are blessed to have had him.

BRS328
11th November 2023, 02:10 PM
You could not have said it better. Richard Colless is a true gentleman in every way. His contribution to the club has been enormous and ranked with the very best

Blood Fever
11th November 2023, 02:35 PM
Colless was outstanding, wasn’t he.

I know this is a thread about Barassi and he deserves every accolade he gets, and I’m a bit biased as I got to know Colless socially quite a bit.

But when the history of our club is written, Colless’ influence and contribution was as great and crucial as anyone on the football side of things. We are blessed to have had him.

Articulate and very warm communicator. A real warrior for the Bloods as well.

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 11:22 PM
My aunty told me tonight that after Colless finished speaking, Eddie made some dig at the Swans. Something like they should be investigated by ASIC. Is this true? If so that is so disrespectful to Barassi.

i'm-uninformed2
12th November 2023, 07:45 AM
My aunty told me tonight that after Colless finished speaking, Eddie made some dig at the Swans. Something like they should be investigated by ASIC. Is this true? If so that is so disrespectful to Barassi.

I hate Eddie as much as anyone, but it was a joke after another joking reference Colless made in his speech to the lack of ASIC records re Barassi’s retirement as a director.

Blood Fever
12th November 2023, 08:56 AM
No fan of McGuire but there was zero malice in his comments this time.

Mel_C
12th November 2023, 07:29 PM
I hate Eddie as much as anyone, but it was a joke after another joking reference Colless made in his speech to the lack of ASIC records re Barassi’s retirement as a director.

No fan of McGuire but there was zero malice in his comments this time.
Thanks...I'm glad that Eddie didn't do another Eddie. My aunt's dislike of McGuire probably took over and she misinterpreted the comment.

Blood Fever
12th November 2023, 07:31 PM
There's a lot of mental scar tissue with all of us in relation to the rubbish he has spouted about the Swans over the years.

KSAS
14th November 2023, 06:52 AM
Barassi's Memorial Service can be seen in full here. Paul Kelly & Richard Colless speeches at 1hr 17m -1hr 28m (recomennded).

IN FULL: State Memorial Service for AFL legend Ron Barassi at the MCG | ABC News - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/live/mmm3gqMyfrw?si=Pjv1btwj9mnAF4T7)