PDA

View Full Version : AFLW R8 2023: Sydney Swans v Western Bulldogs, 1.05pm EST Sat 21 Oct Whitten Oval

liz
20th October 2023, 10:08 PM
So, we're into the home stretch now, with just three games remaining of season 2023. This week we travel back down to Melbourne to take on the winless Western Bulldogs. It's been a horrid season for the Bulldogs who, as a foundation team and past winner, you'd expect to see up at the other end of the table, battling away with the likes of Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne. But they've had a bad run with injury, and also attracted comments from their coach, Nathan Burke, that maybe they didn't attack pre-season in the most professional manner.

We should expect our women to face a highly focused Bulldogs. They will be desperate to avoid a winless season, and they have this week and next to register a win (facing the Kangaroos in the final round). And I imagine they will be buoyed by what has left us so despondent this week - the absence of Morphett. This will have ramifications across the ground. Not only will we miss her ruck work, her follow up work, and her around-the-ground presence, our forward line will likely be robbed to cover her, with Bella Smith and Lexi Hamilton the two most likely to share the ruck duties in Ally's absence.

We do welcome back Brooke Lochland this week, but Aliesha Newman misses another week. Hopefully the club is just being ultra-cautious with her concussion suffered two weeks ago against Port.

Elsewhere, Lauren Szigeti, Jaide Anthony and Amy Whelan lose their spots. We welcome back two of the Irishwomen: Julie O'Sullivan, who was unlucky to lose her spot a couple of weeks back, and Paris McCarthy, who played a couple of games in the middle of the season. Sargent-Wilson also returns for her first game since round 2.

TEAM: Gowans confirms multiple changes for Bulldogs clash (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1453990/team-gowans-confirms-multiple-changes-for-bulldogs-clash)

dejavoodoo44
21st October 2023, 01:16 PM
Good start. Hope we can maintain it better than last week.

liz
21st October 2023, 01:29 PM
Ally who? (Only kidding!) But that was far more impressive than I had feared without our not-so-secret weapon. I'm so glad Chloe finally nailed that goal after the siren, because it felt we were a couple of goals short of where we should have been after the play over the course of that quarter.

dejavoodoo44
21st October 2023, 01:31 PM
Glad that Molloy put it through on the siren, to give us a handy lead, after wasting a few previous chances. I thought some of the ball movement was really good in that quarter. Hope we can keep it up, running against the breeze in the second quarter.

stellation
21st October 2023, 02:03 PM
Wonderful quarter of footy, truly dominant.

dejavoodoo44
21st October 2023, 02:03 PM
I really didn't expect five goals to one in that quarter, but it was fun to watch. Some of the ball movement and overlap run was very good. Also put on more tackling pressure than the Bulldogs. Perhaps a telling stat is an 8 to 1 lead in marks inside 50.

liz
21st October 2023, 02:04 PM
Wow!

dejavoodoo44
21st October 2023, 02:15 PM
Continuing on our merry way, but I'm getting the impression that the Bulldogs are pretty terrible.

mcs
21st October 2023, 02:24 PM
Yes that was holding the ball - but surely that is also a dangerous tackle, effectively slamming her head into the ground like that (whether accidental or not). We saw players in ALFM suspended for a lot less this season.

liz
21st October 2023, 02:34 PM
Those were some confuddling comments from the commentators at the start of the third quarter, wondering whether Laura Gardiner "might" be in AA contention. Huh?

mcs
21st October 2023, 02:38 PM
You could be mistaken this is being broadcast on Fairypuppies TV, such is the commentary team and the focus on one team at times haha.

Finish them off Swannies Ladies - get the ton up in the process too!

dejavoodoo44
21st October 2023, 02:38 PM
By the way, our biggest ever AFLW win is the 15 point win against Port a couple of weeks ago.

mcs
21st October 2023, 03:00 PM
Didn't quite crack the ton, but gee that was a lot of fun! Love the way we are trying to play their footy - it is fun and exciting to watch, especially when we run in waves and move it quickly!

Loving the growth we are seeing in so many players. Great nucleus for a really good team being built!

liz
21st October 2023, 03:11 PM
Bummed that Kennedy couldn’t nail that late shot. Partly to bring up the ton but also, as my favourite pen, I really want her to kick a goal.

dejavoodoo44
21st October 2023, 03:20 PM
Bummed that Kennedy couldn’t nail that late shot. Partly to bring up the ton but also, as my favourite pen, I really want her to kick a goal.

Yes, I think that she spent most of the game lined up against either Blackburn or Lamb and did a pretty good job of moderating their influence.

Plenty of good performances. Molloy possibly our best, as some of her better possessions put the game beyond doubt, although Gardiner was popping up everywhere. Hurley was classy on the outside, while Heads and Tarrant were effective in defence when needed. And I think pretty well everyone in the forward line had some good moments.

Blood Fever
21st October 2023, 03:33 PM
Wow!

Went to the game with my daughter. Swans played brilliantly. Pressure and tackling were great as well as the disposal. Handballing a bit over the top at times but the surge footy they play cuts teams up. Molloy's solo effort where she exploded with 2 or 3 bounces and then set up the goal was phenomenal.

Surprised at the number of Swans fans there. 40% of the crowd I reckon.

liz
21st October 2023, 03:41 PM
Watching them play like that makes last week's "effort" all the more frustrating. Without taking anything away from Hawthorn, that performance was all in the head. Maybe they got ahead of themselves after the strong win against Port the week before, and kicking the first two goals in the opening minutes maybe persuaded them that they'd account for Hawthorn easily. From that point on, barely a kick hit a target and the pressure was soggy.

On the other hand, maybe games like that are an important step along the way to becoming a strong, consistent team. But it might turn out to be the difference between making finals or not. (Not that I think making the finals is that relevant to us this season, given we've had a softish draw. And we'll be doing well to win even one of the two remaining games, let alone both. So maybe that Hawks game won't matter in the end.)

Maltopia
21st October 2023, 05:05 PM
Great to see us progressing so far in our second year, and to beat the Bulldogs is so sweet!

Mel_C
21st October 2023, 07:32 PM
I am away this weekend so couldn't watch the game. I was out in the garden trimming the Peach tree and Lemon tree and my brother was texting me updates. I was receiving alot of texts!

I can't wait to watch the recording of the match. I think we seem to play better when I don't watch the game live!

I was concerned when Morphett was ruled out, especially after how we played last week.

Apparently there were 7 50 metre penalties! Were we the undisciplined ones?

liz
21st October 2023, 07:49 PM
Apparently there were 7 50 metre penalties! Were we the undisciplined ones?

We received more than we gave away. I can recall two we did give away - one after CHamilton encroached on the mark deep in our forward line. And another after a very heavy tackle on Sheppard that left her on the ground groggy and for which the Dogs won a HTB free. I didn't quite see what the 50m was for but I suspect there was some remonstration against the tackler that held up play.

I can't for sure say we didn't give away a third. I do recall us getting a few but I wasn't keeping count. One was against a Dogs player running through the mark. Another was while Molloy was taking a set shot (and missing), which gave her another opportunity from the goal square. I didn't really see what that infringement was.

We lost the overall free kick count comfortably (15-9) but I don't think that reflects a lack of discipline. The Dogs seemed to get a few soft ones, whereas soft ones to us were let go. It wouldn't be a game against the Dogs if it landed any other way. And they won a handful of blatant HTB frees against us, which is something we still give away too often when players think they have more time or less pressure than they do, and don't take the first option. Ham and LHamilton were guilty parties today, Molloy might have given one such away, and there was the one against Sheppard noted above.

Sandridge
22nd October 2023, 08:57 AM
Went to the game with my daughter. Swans played brilliantly. Pressure and tackling were great as well as the disposal. Handballing a bit over the top at times but the surge footy they play cuts teams up. Molloy's solo effort where she exploded with 2 or 3 bounces and then set up the goal was phenomenal.

Surprised at the number of Swans fans there. 40% of the crowd I reckon.

My niece went to the game and she also says that the crowd support for our Bloods was fantastic!

Loving what the team is doing this season.

GO BLOODS!!

Sandridge
22nd October 2023, 09:01 AM
We lost the overall free kick count comfortably (15-9) but I don't think that reflects a lack of discipline. The Dogs seemed to get a few soft ones, whereas soft ones to us were let go. It wouldn't be a game against the Dogs if it landed any other way. And they won a handful of blatant HTB frees against us, which is something we still give away too often when players think they have more time or less pressure than they do, and don't take the first option. Ham and LHamilton were guilty parties today, Molloy might have given one such away, and there was the one against Sheppard noted above.

We lost the free kick count against the Bulldogs? Surely not!

ootf
22nd October 2023, 10:34 AM
Laura Gardiner was just so good around the packs - I love the way she doesn't just take the first option but has the skill to stop/prop and find her way out of congestion. She must surely have exceeded the expectations of the coaching team when she was traded in.

Molloy of course is the real spark they needed, McEvoy is just so solid/reliable. Good recruiting and natural progression has made all the difference.

Mark26
22nd October 2023, 10:40 AM
I can't believe I missed our best result of the season! Does anyone know how long it typically takes for there to be a full replay?

liz
22nd October 2023, 10:42 AM
I can't believe I missed our best result of the season! Does anyone know how long it typically takes for there to be a full replay?

At my place it's available on demand!

Mark26
22nd October 2023, 03:20 PM
At my place it's available on demand!

That sounds like an open invitation to all RWO members. What should I bring Liz? 😂

Mel_C
22nd October 2023, 07:25 PM
We received more than we gave away. I can recall two we did give away - one after CHamilton encroached on the mark deep in our forward line. And another after a very heavy tackle on Sheppard that left her on the ground groggy and for which the Dogs won a HTB free. I didn't quite see what the 50m was for but I suspect there was some remonstration against the tackler that held up play.

I can't for sure say we didn't give away a third. I do recall us getting a few but I wasn't keeping count. One was against a Dogs player running through the mark. Another was while Molloy was taking a set shot (and missing), which gave her another opportunity from the goal square. I didn't really see what that infringement was.

I will keep an eye out when I watch the match. I saw the Sheppard tackle on the news. I'm not surprised if we remonstrated.

No surprise that the Bulldogs won the free kick count!

stellation
23rd October 2023, 09:20 AM
Those were some confuddling comments from the commentators at the start of the third quarter, wondering whether Laura Gardiner "might" be in AA contention. Huh?

That discussion had Stella Jr and I more than just a tad bemused- particularly when it was asked, then followed up with "she's second in coaches' voting". She's been outstanding this season, and a genuine two way player- top 5 in both disposals and tackles, the only other player doing that is Ebony Marinoff (pretty good company to be keeping, particularly when you're discussing AA).

liz
23rd October 2023, 03:36 PM
Unsurprisingly Malloy nailed ten votes in this week's AFLCA voting. The next two highest vote-getters - Gardiner and Hurley (seven and five votes respectively) should come as no surprise either. Hurley has been solid all season and you can see her getting more assured each week. I imagine working alongside Gardiner is helping her heaps. The two of them are pretty similar in height and build and the way they play, and you can see them becoming a quietly potent double-act in years to come as they gain more experience.

Coaches' votes, R8: Lion chasing down Roo, six perfect 10s (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1057023/coaches-votes-r8)

They tweaked the RS nomination criteria at the start of the season (possibly just for this year) to allow players who have previously been nominated to be nominated again this season so long as they meet the other criteria. That means Hurley is eligible to be nominated again this year. Fingers crossed that Saturday's performance - her best of the year, notwithstanding the quality of the opposition - might see her get the nod in an hour or two.

Sarah Black included her last week in a list of players in with a shot of claiming one of the remaining nominations.

Young guns still with a shot: Best remaining Rising Star hopes (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1054807/young-guns-still-with-a-shot-best-remaining-rising-star-hopes)

liz
23rd October 2023, 05:37 PM
Yay! My wish has been granted. Well deserved, Sofia.

Hurley earns second Rising Star Nomination (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1455872/hurley-earned-rising-star-nomination)

liz
23rd October 2023, 07:27 PM
And in more news arising out of Saturday's game, the Bulldog who lay the tackle on Sheppard has been charged with rough conduct and sent straight to the tribunal. The tackle that the commentary team spent the next fifteen minutes telling us was perfectly fair.

Admittedly it wasn't typical of the kind of tackle that has been penalised at the tribunal in that it wasn't a double-action or even really a sling. But if the standard applied is that a player has a duty of care to her opponent, and should not tackle in a manner likely to cause head injury, this one doesn't pass muster. It should matter not that Sheppard was unaware that the tackle was coming and so didn't "brace herself" for contact.

MATCH REVIEW: Western Bulldog Britney Gutknecht sent to Tribunal, Giant and Sun banned (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1057069/match-review-western-bulldog-britney-gutknecht-sent-to-tribunal-giant-and-sun-banned)

Mark26
23rd October 2023, 08:56 PM
And in more news arising out of Saturday's game, the Bulldog who lay the tackle on Sheppard has been charged with rough conduct and sent straight to the tribunal. The tackle that the commentary team spent the next fifteen minutes telling us was perfectly fair.

Admittedly it wasn't typical of the kind of tackle that has been penalised at the tribunal in that it wasn't a double-action or even really a sling, if the standard applied is that a player has a duty of care to her opponent, and should not tackle in a manner likely to cause head injury, this one doesn't pass muster. It should matter not that Sheppard was unaware that the tackle was coming and so didn't "brace herself" for contact.

MATCH REVIEW: Western Bulldog Britney Gutknecht sent to Tribunal, Giant and Sun banned (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1057069/match-review-western-bulldog-britney-gutknecht-sent-to-tribunal-giant-and-sun-banned)

I finally watched the match and it was a disgusting moment imo. I don't mind an aggressive tackle, but Sheppard was blindsided and very vulnerable. Therefore, the tackler needs to show some duty of care, which she did not.

What was even more abhorrent were the biased commentary team who kept raving about it, even after it was clear that Sheppard was being assessed for concussion. What we are beginning to discover about such head knocks is no joke and the long term effects are scary.

I hope the offender gets the full penalty. She needs to miss games. More than that, I hope Sheppard is okay and can bounce back quickly.

Mel_C
24th October 2023, 07:26 PM

Admittedly it wasn't typical of the kind of tackle that has been penalised at the tribunal in that it wasn't a double-action or even really a sling. But if the standard applied is that a player has a duty of care to her opponent, and should not tackle in a manner likely to cause head injury, this one doesn't pass muster. It should matter not that Sheppard was unaware that the tackle was coming and so didn't "brace herself" for contact.

She got off 😤

Mark26
25th October 2023, 07:44 AM
She got off 😤

It's a disgusting outcome. A sniper tackle that results in a concussion and the result is nothing to see here.

stevoswan
25th October 2023, 10:39 PM
It's a disgusting outcome. A sniper tackle that results in a concussion and the result is nothing to see here.

Again (this is three times at least...Hickey, Blakey and now Sheppard) it seems that if you tackle a Swan player....there is nothing to see here. It is disgusting.