PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat 2024 Pre Season

Pages : [1] 2

28th November 2023, 05:29 PM
Put it all in here.

Hopefully a local or two can get to training and have a snoop

rickmat
30th November 2023, 05:10 PM
Gee, looking at the pics from the first day of pre-season training, Sheldrick looks unbelievably buffed and fit. He will be one of our stars of the 2024 season given the positive impact of Grundy in the square and around the ground. Go Sheldrick

30th November 2023, 05:20 PM
Hopefully our reserves can have a more stable playing list this season to help with development.

Quite a number of young players had very interrupted seasons this year so could/should have a lot of upside if they stay fit. Konstanty, Mitchell, Sheldrick, Vickery, Magor have an important season ahead - go well

Blood Fever
30th November 2023, 09:11 PM
Gee, looking at the pics from the first day of pre-season training, Sheldrick looks unbelievably buffed and fit. He will be one of our stars of the 2024 season given the positive impact of Grundy in the square and around the ground. Go Sheldrick

He is very strongly built. Hope he can keep his weight at the right level. No reason why not I guess.

neilfws
1st December 2023, 09:48 AM
The first day of preseason gallery:

Swans return for pre-season training (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/albums/1471644/gallery-swans-return-to-pre-season?modal=true&type=gallery&playlistId=1471644&playlistSize=10)

rickmat
1st December 2023, 06:49 PM
Great to read and hear from Grundy and Adams and how they are settling in and getting to know the Swans , players, coaches and great training facilities. I have a feeling these two will add an edge to the Swans in 24 as they have the experience and leadership qualities for our young team. Go Swannied

giant
1st December 2023, 06:51 PM
Gotta say, just from the pics, Taylor Adams looks in fantastic nick, especially given he was injured at the time of the GF. Could end up being a bigger pick up than Grundy!

waswan
1st December 2023, 09:31 PM
Not Swans specific but always amusing how AFL clubs report that senior guys have come back early like its a huge stretch.

Im 40 and train 5 days a week at the gym, for an elite footballer to come in a week or 2 ahead of time it really isnt a thing.

None of them would have had more than a week break, they would all be running and gym work everyday at some capacity

Auntie.Gerald
1st December 2023, 10:10 PM
Waswan mate couldn’t be happier to hear your zeal and passion to train almost every day of the week

I think elite peak performance has a little more intensity though that is very difficult to manage mentally, emotionally and physically

I’m guessing club commitments at AFL levels are 35hrs per week minimum? Vs gym 5 x per week x 90mins = 7.5hrs per week?

When I was playing reps and also trying to train for a marathon at 33yrs of age I was battling niggling injuries all year long every week.

I could only imagine what pro athletes are juggling with re niggling / strained injuries every other day of the week just to keep at 95% if u are lucky?

waswan
1st December 2023, 11:41 PM
Waswan mate couldn’t be happier to hear your zeal and passion to train almost every day of the week

I think elite peak performance has a little more intensity though that is very difficult to manage mentally, emotionally and physically

I’m guessing club commitments at AFL levels are 35hrs per week minimum? Vs gym 5 x per week x 90mins = 7.5hrs per week?

When I was playing reps and also trying to train for a marathon at 33yrs of age I was battling niggling injuries all year long every week.

I could only imagine what pro athletes are juggling with re niggling / strained injuries every other day of the week just to keep at 95% if u are lucky?

My point being its probably easier just to turn up to the club a week or 2 early in December and appear to be "switched on" when in reality the they are doing all that workload whether they are there or not

Auntie.Gerald
2nd December 2023, 06:54 PM
Mate I hear u

But if u have been round the traps for years as a pro athlete and mature player having a bit of extra time with family etc is not two weeks

It’s gold…….it’s invaluable

The season as a high performance pro athlete is insane and no doubt do tricky to navigate when away every second week for games and constantly distracted by the intense event just round the corner

These guys train at such a ridiculous level every single day

sharp9
4th December 2023, 10:04 AM
Edwards is freakin’ huge! 💪

Mel_C
4th December 2023, 07:15 PM
Good to see we are getting some pre season coverage this year due to Adams and Grundy. Normally it would be a 10 second report about Buddy.

The important question is, which player is going to be training the house down this pre season??

waswan
4th December 2023, 08:42 PM
A piece of that coverage had Mills out til "at least" the middle if the year

Is that official and i just missed it ?

liz
4th December 2023, 09:02 PM
A piece of that coverage had Mills out til "at least" the middle if the year

Is that official and i just missed it ?

I think the media has just made up their minds on the timeframe based on medical reports of how long such an injury can take to heal and decided to morph it into "fact".

I've not read anything coming from the club that puts an estimated timeframe on his return. It could well be mid-season but it seems to be just guesswork at this stage.

waswan
4th December 2023, 09:35 PM
I think the media has just made up their minds on the timeframe based on medical reports of how long such an injury can take to heal and decided to morph it into "fact".

I've not read anything coming from the club that puts an estimated timeframe on his return. It could well be mid-season but it seems to be just guesswork at this stage.
🤞 fingers crossed

Auntie.Gerald
5th December 2023, 01:49 PM
It is radio silence though from the club

I’d say with this injury and how it happened smart club move as it can really drag on to heal which wouldn’t be palatable

Mountain Man
5th December 2023, 02:00 PM
One thing hasn't changed - the Club's update of players.

I get that until they allocate jersey numbers they can't complete the players page (though how long it takes to have the relevant discussions), but at least remove the retired, delisted players.

An annual gripe

Dow
5th December 2023, 04:19 PM
It is radio silence though from the club

I’d say with this injury and how it happened smart club move as it can really drag on to heal which wouldn’t be palatable

Alternatively it can heal a lot faster than the media have quoted - Rugby league medicos quoted at the time said a lot would have to go wrong to out as long as was reported - so hopefully 🤞 he’s back before the start of the season

Auntie.Gerald
5th December 2023, 10:18 PM
“Arthroscopic reconstruction of the rotator cuff in overhead athletes is effective for improving function of the shoulder in overhead athletes, with a return to sport in 75.4% of patients within an average of 6.4 months. A total of 62.5% of patients were able to return to sport at pre-injury level.@

A simple google of the Journal of Orthopaedics shows why the media have run with this as worst case scenario - because it ain’t great for quick / rushed returns nor full recovery for pro athletes specifically overhead athletes as above……..it’s a very tricky injury

Hence our launch at Adams when he became available to buffer season 2024 in the mids

Dow
6th December 2023, 11:15 PM
“Arthroscopic reconstruction of the rotator cuff in overhead athletes is effective for improving function of the shoulder in overhead athletes, with a return to sport in 75.4% of patients within an average of 6.4 months. A total of 62.5% of patients were able to return to sport at pre-injury level.@

A simple google of the Journal of Orthopaedics shows why the media have run with this as worst case scenario - because it ain’t great for quick / rushed returns nor full recovery for pro athletes specifically overhead athletes as above……..it’s a very tricky injury

Hence our launch at Adams when he became available to buffer season 2024 in the mids

So it is quite possible he good be ready to go early stages of the season, I don’t think the adams deal was based on the Mills injury, although I am sure it was a bonus

Nico
7th December 2023, 11:17 AM
With the bolstering of our midfield I would suggest that Mills will play in defence.

waswan
7th December 2023, 07:20 PM
With the bolstering of our midfield I would suggest that Mills will play in defence.

I know there are a few to fit in and I hope Angus gets a good crack but Mills is our best player as a Midfielder

The Big Cat
7th December 2023, 08:00 PM

I get that until they allocate jersey numbers

Jumper or guernsey, never jersey.

Auntie.Gerald
8th December 2023, 02:45 PM
muscle shirt ? :)

Maltopia
9th December 2023, 05:18 PM
Zero Hanger’s top/starting 23 for the Swans

Every AFL team's best 23 for the 2024 season: Sydney Swans (https://apple.news/A0FEi6caASe66L__D_UT1oA)

They have Taylor Adams at HF - not where he came to play for us, so pretty bad analysis. I think Parker probably needs to go forward for us. They also have Fox out of the lineup for Hamling, Mills in defence (ignoring his injury) and no mention of Sheldrick at all…

Final 23
FB: Jake Lloyd, Tom McCartin, Dane Rampe.

HB: Callum Mills, Joel Hamling, Nick Blakey.

C: Errol Gulden, Chad Warner, Braeden Campbell.

HF: Isaac Heeney, Joel Amartey, Taylor Adams.

FF: Hayden McLean, Logan McDonald, Tom Papley.

FO: Brodie Grundy, James Rowbottom, Luke Parker.

I/C: Will Hayward, Justin McInerney, James Jordon, Oliver Florent.

SUB: Harry Cunningham.

Also in the mix: Robbie Fox, Sam Wicks, Aaron Francis, Jacob Konstanty, Lewis Melican, and Jack Buller.

Blood Fever
9th December 2023, 07:06 PM
Fox in if Mills missing first game. Harry C will probably start as lockdown on small forwards. Not sure who he replaces if everyone is fit, which is unlikely. Horse will be pushing for Reid! Loves him.

Auntie.Gerald
9th December 2023, 07:58 PM
Either way
Wow
It is a different squad and an enthusiastic 23
I likey 🤓

10th December 2023, 09:37 AM
A healthy list has quality depth.

Any posters getting to training?

BRS328
10th December 2023, 11:15 AM
You would have to include in the mix Reid, Shelderick, Robert’s, and if he can eliminate his brain fades Ladhams

- - - Updated - - -

You would have to include in the mix Reid, Shelderick, Robert’s, and if he can eliminate his brain fades Ladhams, and possibly Corey Warner

chalbilto
10th December 2023, 02:27 PM
You would have to include in the mix Reid, Shelderick, Robert’s, and if he can eliminate his brain fades Ladhams

- - - Updated - - -

You would have to include in the mix Reid, Shelderick, Robert’s, and if he can eliminate his brain fades Ladhams, and possibly Corey Warner

Plus Wicks & Melican. Depth looking good.

Blood Fever
10th December 2023, 03:02 PM
I would like Sheldrick in. Not sure who he replaces. Roberts is promising as well.

- - - Updated - - -

VFL team will be strong.

Auntie.Gerald
10th December 2023, 03:05 PM
Watch out for JJ and Cleary even

Maltopia
11th December 2023, 01:14 AM
We have amazing depth!

A genuine top 23 (using their list, once Mills is recovered) with another eight players (Reid, Sheldrick, Roberts, Wicks, Francis, Ladhams, Corey Warner, Melican) who can slot in for injuries or push players out.

Plus Konstanty and Cleary who might push for a sub spot too.

It looks exciting!

11th December 2023, 06:43 AM
Haven't got obvious retirements looming either, so competition will be fierce, injuries aside, for senior berths. In all discussions so far, no mention of Sam Reid who injuries aside is best 22 if fit.

Fingers crossed this might be the opportunity to genuinely rest players during the season so we hit finals healthy rather than limping in, as we've done with a few campaigns in the last decade.

Auntie.Gerald
11th December 2023, 02:03 PM
Five tips to improve your own 2km time trial (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1474902/five-tips-2km-time-trial)

Bloody hell

I have never seen such an intent large group behind the top2 or 3 runners

BJ, Gulden, Lloyd, Indhi, JJ, Cor Warner all together almost just behind Fox, Cleary and Jmac

That is almost 10 guys around that 6min to 6min 15 seconds for the 2km.............amazing !!!!!!

i'm-uninformed2
11th December 2023, 04:28 PM
Five tips to improve your own 2km time trial (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1474902/five-tips-2km-time-trial)

Bloody hell

I have never seen such an intent large group behind the top2 or 3 runners

BJ, Gulden, Lloyd, Indhi, JJ, Cor Warner all together almost just behind Fox, Cleary and Jmac

That is almost 10 guys around that 6min to 6min 15 seconds for the 2km.............amazing !!!!!!

The one that caught my eye in the top 10 was Campbell - basically finishing alongside two renowned runners in Errol and Lloyd.

As mentioned on here before, Campbell's had to develop his tank and that result suggests he keeps doing so. I thought he was good to very good last year, and his final against Carlton one of his better games.

But he hasn't yet dominated a game, the way a Chad or Errol can. I wouldn't be surprised based on his trajectory so far if this is the year he starts to do so on occasions. Same with Logan.

giant
11th December 2023, 08:13 PM
A healthy list has quality depth.

Any posters getting to training?

Is that possible (getting to training)? Anyone have times/venues where one can watch?

stevoswan
12th December 2023, 12:24 PM
Haven't got obvious retirements looming either, so competition will be fierce, injuries aside, for senior berths. In all discussions so far, no mention of Sam Reid who injuries aside is best 22 if fit.

Fingers crossed this might be the opportunity to genuinely rest players during the season so we hit finals healthy rather than limping in, as we've done with a few campaigns in the last decade.

Agree with you on Reid.....and you're right, with our healthy depth, some 2022 Geelong style player management may be in order.....we'll see how things unfold.

chalbilto
13th December 2023, 04:53 PM
After reading that Bailey Smith has done an acl injury at training, do other posters worry that our players have serious injuries during pre season training? I know that can’t be wrapped up in cotton wool but it doesn’t stop worrying.

dejavoodoo44
13th December 2023, 05:17 PM
After reading that Bailey Smith has done an acl injury at training, do other posters worry that our players have serious injuries during pre season training? I know that can’t be wrapped up in cotton wool but it doesn’t stop worrying.

I tend to think that you can't really win a premiership without a good run with injuries. Not just for getting your best players on the field, but also for developing the understanding and teamwork that's necessary, to perform well in a game that's hugely complex. So I am concerned about injuries, but of course, me worrying about injuries has absolutely no effect on whether players get injured or not, so that tends to keep me from stressing too much.

Mel_C
13th December 2023, 07:19 PM
I'm more worried about non training injuries. Rampe tripping while trying to jump a chain fence. Mills tripping on a drain and Mills wrestling!

waswan
14th December 2023, 10:19 AM

I think what that injury does is put the risk front and centre to guys wanting to play the free agency game.

If you are a player wanting to move clubs its the risk you take while you have to wait.

Id say Bailey would have had at least 7yrs at 800k in front of him.
Anyones guess now

Roadrunner
14th December 2023, 11:07 AM
I think what that injury does is put the risk front and centre to guys wanting to play the free agency game.

If you are a player wanting to move clubs its the risk you take while you have to wait.

Id say Bailey would have had at least 7yrs at 800k in front of him.
Anyones guess now

Not sure what you mean by that, waswan. Can you please elaborate?

Auntie.Gerald
14th December 2023, 11:39 AM
ie holding off extending at your current club to wait for FA?

the risk being you could have taken 5 years guaranteed at your current club.........but that could be watered down if injury strikes that compromises a new contract at another club

waswan
14th December 2023, 01:21 PM
ie holding off extending at your current club to wait for FA?

the risk being you could have taken 5 years guaranteed at your current club.........but that could be watered down if injury strikes that compromises a new contract at another club

exactly

giant
14th December 2023, 02:28 PM
Is that possible (getting to training)? Anyone have times/venues where one can watch?

Anyone got any thoughts about how/when to watch training?

liz
14th December 2023, 06:20 PM
Anyone got any thoughts about how/when to watch training?

I suspect you need to get lucky to catch them at the moment. They seem to be using Bat & Ball as their main base at the moment (with Lakeside undergoing renovation) but I daresay they can decide to go elsewhere on a whim. Like Centennial Park. And even the time of training could well be flexible at the moment to fit in with the heat.

Markwebbos
14th December 2023, 11:31 PM
The one that caught my eye in the top 10 was Campbell - basically finishing alongside two renowned runners in Errol and Lloyd.

As mentioned on here before, Campbell's had to develop his tank and that result suggests he keeps doing so. I thought he was good to very good last year, and his final against Carlton one of his better games.

But he hasn't yet dominated a game, the way a Chad or Errol can. I wouldn't be surprised based on his trajectory so far if this is the year he starts to do so on occasions. Same with Logan.

Great observation

giant
15th December 2023, 08:26 AM
I suspect you need to get lucky to catch them at the moment. They seem to be using Bat & Ball as their main base at the moment (with Lakeside undergoing renovation) but I daresay they can decide to go elsewhere on a whim. Like Centennial Park. And even the time of training could well be flexible at the moment to fit in with the heat.

Thanks Liz, makes sense.

stellation
15th December 2023, 10:40 AM

I'm sure this is just where my brain is when it comes to the end of the year/bothering to choof into the office, but I read Bat & Ball as The Bat & Ball and my first thought was "footy players- they're just like us".

15th December 2023, 11:28 AM
Saints looking to poach Dalrymple after yet another sacking at the Saints.

liz
15th December 2023, 12:34 PM

I thought they'd made the post redundant after "restructuring" their list management / recruiting team. Doesn't seem to make sense that they would then go looking for another highly experienced person to add to the team. Or was that just spin?

I rarely understand how the various list management and recruitment roles fit together at different clubs, but would anyone (senior) want to go to a club where Silvagni is involved? He seems to have more than his fair share of "quirks" or hang-ups when it comes to list management.

i'm-uninformed2
15th December 2023, 01:11 PM
I thought they'd made the post redundant after "restructuring" their list management / recruiting team. Doesn't seem to make sense that they would then go looking for another highly experienced person to add to the team. Or was that just spin?

I rarely understand how the various list management and recruitment roles fit together at different clubs, but would anyone (senior) want to go to a club where Silvagni is involved? He seems to have more than his fair share of "quirks" or hang-ups when it comes to list management.

The weird thing about them shoving off their recruiting manager is I reckon for the first time in years, the Saints have nailed their last two or three drafts. They've got a way to go to recover from the disastrous list decisions in 18 and 19, but they've finally got a batch of excellent young players onto their list.

liz
15th December 2023, 02:35 PM
The weird thing about them shoving off their recruiting manager is I reckon for the first time in years, the Saints have nailed their last two or three drafts. They've got a way to go to recover from the disastrous list decisions in 18 and 19, but they've finally got a batch of excellent young players onto their list.

They have, and I'd love any (or all) of Owens, Phillipou, Windhagen and Wanganeen Milera on our list - though two of them were no-brainers via their NGA academy (in the same way Gulden, Mills et al were gifts to our recruiting managers) and Phillipou kind of fell into their hands after all the clubs ahead of them passed on him. Some (including himself) would have had him as the number one pick that year.

stevoswan
18th December 2023, 06:38 PM

Yeah, I read this in the Hun, written as if it was going to happen. Something along the lines of 'rumour has Dalrymple landing at the Saints' but the word rumour wasn't used, something else like 'gossip' or 'inside info' or similar.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's a fait accompli and I for one hopes he stays.

stevoswan
19th December 2023, 07:55 PM
A new 'Inside Sydney' episode dropped yesterday, highlighting fitness and conditioning.....let's hope the boys are getting properly fit this season:

Inside Sydney - Episode Two: Building a base - YouTube (https://youtu.be/Bwug5M2UjQQ?si=tUUQTs6Elgmp2hWJ)

wolftone57
21st December 2023, 05:47 PM
They have, and I'd love any (or all) of Owens, Phillipou, Windhagen and Wanganeen Milera on our list - though two of them were no-brainers via their NGA academy (in the same way Gulden, Mills et al were gifts to our recruiting managers) and Phillipou kind of fell into their hands after all the clubs ahead of them passed on him. Some (including himself) would have had him as the number one pick that year.

Yes they are good picks. But they stuffed themselves for a few years by bringing in injury plagued players like Dan.

24th December 2023, 12:18 PM
I'm sure Bedford on BF won't mind me re-posting his obsevation "8 of our boys spotted at an oval in Hampton training very hard this week, including Blakey, MacLean and Papley"

Nice that players are not letting up on their break. I know Collingwood players committed last pre season to doing a lot of extra work and that paid off - unfortunately.

liz
24th December 2023, 12:20 PM
I wondered for a split second why New South Welshman Blakey would be training down in Melbourne. Then I remembered his family is now in Victoria, so I suppose he's down to spend the holidays with the folks.

stevoswan
24th December 2023, 08:36 PM
I'm sure Bedford on BF won't mind me re-posting his obsevation "8 of our boys spotted at an oval in Hampton training very hard this week, including Blakey, MacLean and Papley"

Nice that players are not letting up on their break.

I like this a lot. It seems that the lads have acknowledged that they were not fit enough and conditioned enough last season and are set to atone in 2024.

Also, I agree 100% with the following assessment of our 'wishlist':

"The dream for Swans fans would be for Sam Reid to stay fit for the whole season. So important has Reid been to Sydney's structure that the Swans picked him for the 2022 Grand Final, which John Longmire later conceded was a mistake due to the injury he carried into the game. That match remains the most recent Reid has played at AFL level after his 2023 was ruined by yet another injury but he's back on the rookie list for 2024. When fit, the versatile tall can be a matchwinner. Getting him on the park will be the main challenge."

All I want for Christmas is... every club's 2024 wishlist (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1071196/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-every-clubs-2024-wishlist)

liz
24th December 2023, 09:37 PM
I like this a lot. It seems that the lads have acknowledged that they were not fit enough and conditioned enough last season and are set to atone in 2024.

Except that we don't know if this behaviour (ie training over the Christmas break) is any different to past seasons. My guess is that it's not. Though that's totally a guess.

We also don't know, for sure, that they "were not fit enough and conditioned enough last season". Certainly there was an issue running out games, but there are other possible explanations.

Mountain Man
24th December 2023, 09:50 PM
I have posted a couple of times that key position players tend to play the most minutes in a game - often 100% time on ground.

The run of injuries to our KPD (in particular) meant that our midfield played much longer periods, and I am of the view that led to a cumulative workload that was a major reason for the fade outs late in the season.

liz
24th December 2023, 09:56 PM
I have posted a couple of times that key position players tend to play the most minutes in a game - often 100% time on ground.

The run of injuries to our KPD (in particular) meant that our midfield played much longer periods, and I am of the view that led to a cumulative workload that was a major reason for the fade outs late in the season.

That's certainly plausible. The club would have detailed, granular GPS and other data that would provide them with some clues.

It's also possible that we had more than an ideal number of players carrying niggles in the second half of the season, possibly as a result of having to work harder early on because of KP injuries. That might have meant other players were having to work even harder early on in games, contributing to late game fade outs.

While our eyes told us that there was an issue with late game fade outs, it never quite made sense to me that a club with a good track record of running out games well would suddenly get an off-season programme so wrong that the conditioning across the squad wasn't adequate.

stevoswan
26th December 2023, 02:13 PM
Weirdly, in regard to the above comments, most of our last quarter fade outs were earlier in the season, where a lot of us on here were questioning our pre season fitness program. Also, our early season injuries had us questioning our off season conditioning.

In actuality, it was in the second half of the season or even the last quarter of the season that we appeared to be fitter, running out games better and allowing us to win more games to subsequently make the finals.

i'm-uninformed2
27th December 2023, 10:53 AM
It wasn’t just running out games. You only had to watch the team in early games to see it lacked that capacity for surge or power running that was a feature of our game in 2022.

Now, it could have been a function of a few things, or combination of a lot of little things adding up. You only need a few blokes to have an injury interrupted pre season (which apparently a few like Papley did and carried through the early rounds), the compound effect of players getting injured during games forcing others to carry an extra load, a bit going wrong in the pre season training program, and it’s hard to both do buckets of surge running during games and then finish games off.

The two examples for me were Paps, as mentioned above, and Heeney. Paps had a season of two halves and he noticeably hit form once over the rib issue he had, and Isaac at his best runs as hard and long as anyone, but seemed inhibited last year.

Blood Fever
30th December 2023, 01:53 PM
Dalrymple off to the Saints to head up recruiting. We might have to extend The Godfather.

i'm-uninformed2
30th December 2023, 07:20 PM
Dalrymple's record is mixed, to be honest.

It's skewed to a degree by the challenges of the COVID years, and the access to Academy talent we've had. You'd call the 2018 draft a success, '19 a bust offset by the exceptional upside of Chad, finding Hayden McLean a total gem, and you'd give Sheldrick a tick. Otherwise, meh or to be determined.

One thing that's a downside from his time - and I know the way the rookie list is used has changed a lot - but we traditionally were a club that found a bucket of talent via that method. From Nick Smith to Heath Grundy to Ramps. I know McLean wasn't technically a rookie, but I can't think of another great find outside the main draft during his time. Or am I having a brain fade?

Then again, that's all life of a recruiter.

stevoswan
30th December 2023, 09:48 PM
Apparently Dalrymple was with us for six years.....wow, that went quick.

Blood Fever
30th December 2023, 10:20 PM
Beatson was more high profile during that time but you're right about how quick it seems.

Ruck'n'Roll
31st December 2023, 04:19 AM
Dalrymple off to the Saints to head up recruiting. We might have to extend The Godfather.

Same job title so it doesn't look like he's leaving for promotion, maybe just shifting home?

i'm-uninformed2
31st December 2023, 09:59 AM

It's skewed to a degree by the challenges of the COVID years, and the access to Academy talent we've had. You'd call the 2018 draft a success, '19 a bust offset by the exceptional upside of Chad, finding Hayden McLean a total gem, and you'd give Sheldrick a tick. Otherwise, meh or to be determined.

One thing that's a downside from his time - and I know the way the rookie list is used has changed a lot - but we traditionally were a club that found a bucket of talent via that method. From Nick Smith to Heath Grundy to Ramps. I know McLean wasn't technically a rookie, but I can't think of another great find outside the main draft during his time. Or am I having a brain fade?

Lord, I’m a moron. Clearly out of conditioning in the off season. I forgot what may well be his finest selection in Logan! Was both obvious, but given our track record with high draft picks, a stellar success.

dejavoodoo44
31st December 2023, 10:48 AM
It wasn’t just running out games. You only had to watch the team in early games to see it lacked that capacity for surge or power running that was a feature of our game in 2022.

Now, it could have been a function of a few things, or combination of a lot of little things adding up. You only need a few blokes to have an injury interrupted pre season (which apparently a few like Papley did and carried through the early rounds), the compound effect of players getting injured during games forcing others to carry an extra load, a bit going wrong in the pre season training program, and it’s hard to both do buckets of surge running during games and then finish games off.

The two examples for me were Paps, as mentioned above, and Heeney. Paps had a season of two halves and he noticeably hit form once over the rib issue he had, and Isaac at his best runs as hard and long as anyone, but seemed inhibited last year.
Yes, I do wonder how much difference there is between teams, when it comes to fitness levels. As you say, other onfield factors can contribute to the ability to run out games. For instance, with Collingwood's recent record of making late comebacks, it would appear that they might be fitter than many other teams. But I wonder how much of a role their game style plays in that? That is, they often move the ball faster and more smoothly than other sides. Which is more likely to tire their opposition, as it requires a fair bit of manic defensive scrambling, to try to counteract the ball being transferred efficiently around the ground.

Conversely, last season I don't think we won as much clean possession around the contests, as we had in the past. So, that probably meant that less ball was being dished out to our skilful outside players, and in turn, that decreased their ability to run the opposition ragged.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows if there's that much difference between the fitness programs of the AFL clubs? Personally, I can think of reasons why there might be and why there might not be.

On the might not be side. I suspect the large majority of the people overseeing the fitness programs, are high achieving graduates of the Australian university system, where they studied much the same ideas in subjects like physiotherapy and medical science. Since graduating, they've probably used similar sources to keep up to date with new research and new technologies. So, maybe the approach is pretty similar from club to club? Also, I think the soft cap is there, to prevent the wealthier clubs from spending a lot more on fitness staff and gaining an advantage that way.

On the other hand, Brisbane have had hardly any injuries for the last four or five seasons: so maybe it's not just luck and they're doing something significantly different from the other clubs? And I think most people in the system would want to innovate to some extent, to give them a point of difference on their rivals. But how much innovation can you do, before it becomes a touch foolhardy? I mean, I'm sure that people at Essendon thought that Stephen Dank and Dean Lance were great innovators.

I suspect that one area in which there would be a difference, is in the uptake of new technology. Firstly, the wealthier clubs would be able to afford more of the latest gizmos. While being new, there's going to be a certain amount of experimentation involved, and after a while, it becomes clearer which investments are worth the money and which don't quite live up to the sales pitch. Therefore, buying the right equipment, either through good luck or good planning, could lead to healthier players. So, let's just hope that our new training facility, has plenty of examples of money well spent.

Auntie.Gerald
1st January 2024, 08:35 PM
For me it is a web approach re success for recruitment and many are hard to judge just yet. I think there are 7 stand outs from 22 still on our list recruited last 5 years or and may turn the corner next 18months in their ability to be a true AFL player at the Swans.

Between trades, main draft, supplementary drafts, mid season drafts it is a juggling act to keep or spend draft currency to improve the list year after year.

I feel we are not far off a pretty healthy top4 contending list for the next two to three seasons. Yet equally you could argue 8 other clubs are right in the mix and some a serious force.

STRONG CHOICES SO FAR - 7 players?
Gulden
Logan
Chad
Patch
Brodie
McLean
McInerney

YET to be PROVEN week in week out but there are arguably 15 players on the fringe with upside and maybe some significant upside. That is good pressure on the list to peak perform:

JJ
Sheldrick
Konstanty
Snell
Green
Edwards
Vickery
Corey Warner
Cleary
Hamling
Arnold
Buller
Ladhams
Magor
Roberts

giant
2nd January 2024, 06:41 PM
Apparently Dalrymple was with us for six years.....wow, that went quick.

I know right, go figger.

I'm with IU2 on his assessment of the Dalrymple Years - even with the asterisk of Covid, his efforts have been ambiguous at best. Still, it's hard to find these people, will be a good first up test for our new Head of Football.

Auntie.Gerald
2nd January 2024, 09:17 PM
Giant do u mean that Simon came back and informed that if u can make the trades for

Brodie
Patch
Hamming
JJ

Just go for it

as I have minimal to add except for Green and well Cleary and Indi all coaching staff are well aware of at the Swans

So if we discount 2023 recruitments he has had minimal contribution at a net positive impact level ?

giant
2nd January 2024, 10:17 PM
Giant do u mean that Simon came back and informed that if u can make the trades for

Brodie
Patch
Hamming
JJ

Just go for it

as I have minimal to add except for Green and well Cleary and Indi all coaching staff are well aware of at the Swans

So if we discount 2023 recruitments he has had minimal contribution at a net positive impact level ?

I'm not entirely sure I've followed all of that, but yes, my view is that it's not clear to me that Dalrymple has significantly & positively shaped our squad. I don't really get the demarcation of his role versus Beatson's, but his name wasn't prominent in what we heard from our trades (as opposed to the roles played by Longmire, Harley & others) - that doesn't mean of course he played no role, just that he doesn't appear to have been the reason that those deals happened.

My assessment is mainly based on those draft years covered by IU2 in his post - a lot of draft picks for little payback to date.

Auntie.Gerald
3rd January 2024, 05:57 AM
Giant my gut feeling is that it may also have been that where we had picks he was NOT seeing a stack of talent in the drafts?

Ie no matter what…..u need a Simon Darymple to be out there reviewing all emerging draft players in Vic, SA, WA, Tassie etc as much as possible..

It could have been that Simon didn’t see great reasons to move up in the draft some years versus what was on offer? Or that our Academy players trumped similar picks anyway ?

It could have been we were not confident of landing a Patch Adams and or Brodie and we got very very lucky? Supposedly we were after Naughton 10yr contract ? Beatson did indicate we were interested.

We also had to go a couple of inside mids to replace Parker next couple of years and the options were not that standout in a couple drafts were we had picks. Maybe sheldrick is going to be a Lachie Neale or Luke Parker type gem…..too early to say either way.

Obviously the opportunity came along to add a couple proven elite players with great experience we jumped at that in 2023 but that doesn’t mean a talent scout is not doing their job.

The trades were better and we were ready to pounce on some serious trades after a fair few years of going to the draft.

If you can add two to three serious players to your best 22 each year that means over 8-10 years you have turned over your whole best 22. That is an amazing achievement in recruitment.

The other 5 are in my list above that had (7 players as standouts) are very strong talent identification and you could be adding Campbell to that list by end of 2024 season that makes 8.

But I suspect by end of 2024 we could have another 6 players from my list of 15 that would bump the recruitment efforts up to 14 plus players last 6 years being great acquisitions. Thats on track.

My gut feeling is also that we have a few slow burn players deliberately to hit their straps at more mature stages of their development like we saw with Dawso needing 3 to 4 pre seasons to get his tank to the level required.

This allows us to manage our cap and also play them in AFL at that 22/23 yrs old when really ready at all levels of AFL footy and truly can compete week in week out at a cardio body management level.

Only a small amount of players in each squad had out and out superior biomechanics.

80% plus of athletes are managing so many niggles just to get thru a season let alone a pre season - hence some players like Konstanty, Sheldrick etc can take longer to get to AFL and be a certain “yes” that was a good choice by a Simon Darymple

i'm-uninformed2
3rd January 2024, 10:18 AM
My understanding of the distinction in roles is Kinnear shapes the list, and Dalrymple the draft list.

So the trades would be lead by Kinnear. He’d also have a role in shaping the management of draft picks to accommodate trades, Academy requirements a year or two ahead, etc. Kinnear also has a lead responsibility in balancing between the two roles - for example, knowing what Dalrymple has in mind with the draft, looking at options for depth needs in roles using the whole set of tools available. I think given his length of tenure, he also has a philosophy that informs all elements. He’s been quite open in saying he believes best available in first round - which I personally don’t disagree with - and a premium is placed on character.

Dalrymple very much led the draft intelligence, analysis and ultimate selection of our draft order. So, on the plus side for example, you can give Dalrymple credit for picking Logan over Denver Grainger Barrass. We will be thanking him for that selection for the next decade. But the Stephens pick also sits on his head. He missed something about Stephen’s mental resilience, as it wasn’t raw talent that was the problem.

wolftone57
3rd January 2024, 02:43 PM
Except that we don't know if this behaviour (ie training over the Christmas break) is any different to past seasons. My guess is that it's not. Though that's totally a guess.

We also don't know, for sure, that they "were not fit enough and conditioned enough last season". Certainly there was an issue running out games, but there are other possible explanations.

I think the coaching staff decided to forgo the extra fitness training for skills work last year. We were into the ball work VERY early. Our skills did improve but our fitness was a HUGE worry. Injury, not running out games, lulls in games letting opponents back. They are all symptoms of low fitness levels.

I am hoping this year the fitness coaches can get a greater early season portion and get our blokes to optimum levels. Then the ball work will take care of itself because if fit you concentrate more, have more energy & are able to more easily perform skills training.

wolftone57
3rd January 2024, 04:18 PM

2023; Too early to know
2022; not one draftee payed a single game
2021; McAndrew, Sheldrick, Roberts & Corey Warner all played games. Rankin did not & Lewis Taylor was only rookied because he had a contract
2020; McDonald, Campbell & Gulden have all become good players. The Rookie, Carruthers was delisted
2019; Mid Season rookies both delisted. Stephens at North. Gould delisted. E Taylor sacked. Chad Warner 60 & Rookie McLean 53, Rookies, Rowles & Maibaum delisted
2018; Blakey, Rowbottom & McInerney have combines for 267 games. Foot, tucker, Reynolds all delisted. Sam Wicks was a Rookie that year 50 games.

The ex Rookies or Rookies on the list;
Haydon McLean (Dalrymple)
Harry Cunningham (a Rookie out of Wagga at the recommendation of Paul Kelly)
Tom Papley (Pick 12 in 2016)
Sam Wicks (Dalrymple Acad)
Will Edwards (Dalrymple Acad)
Tom McCartin (Dalrymple but on the Swans VFL list)
Indi Kirk (Dalrymple Acad)
Jayden Maigor (Dalrymple)
Joel Amartey (2017)
Harrison Arnold (Dalrymple)
Jack Buller (Dalrymple)
Robbie Fox (2016)
Jake lloyd (2013 Rookie Draft, what a bloody bargain)
Lachlan McAndrew (Dalrymple Acad)

Only 2 Rookies that are directly from Dalrymple have played games. McLean & Buller. I do not count the Academy players as they are evident to Blind Freddy & any recruiter would easily get them.

BRS328
3rd January 2024, 09:15 PM
I’m and Ag
You are both right in your assessment’s, but I think everyone needs to understand that Dalrymple’s role as recruiting manager is to focus on the under age competitions around the country. He has a staff of paid assistants do the spotting and he collates the data.
Dalrymple reports directly to the list manager (Beatson) who in turn works closely with the coaches, football manager etc and formulate their needs.
I recently had a discussion with Kinnear who was saying how difficult it was for the recruiting manager during the Covid period because clubs were forced to reduce costs in their football departments. Part time recruiters were made redundant, and this affected all clubs as it was a matter of survival.
What made it worse, due to travel restrictions they could not travel interstate to look at prospective players, so they were relying on video footage which only tells part of the story.
Recruiting is a team effort, and you see it firsthand on draft night. Everyone has input.

wolftone57
4th January 2024, 09:47 PM
Giant my gut feeling is that it may also have been that where we had picks he was NOT seeing a stack of talent in the drafts?

Ie no matter what…..u need a Simon Darymple to be out there reviewing all emerging draft players in Vic, SA, WA, Tassie etc as much as possible..

It could have been that Simon didn’t see great reasons to move up in the draft some years versus what was on offer? Or that our Academy players trumped similar picks anyway ?

It could have been we were not confident of landing a Patch Adams and or Brodie and we got very very lucky? Supposedly we were after Naughton 10yr contract ? Beatson did indicate we were interested.

We also had to go a couple of inside mids to replace Parker next couple of years and the options were not that standout in a couple drafts were we had picks. Maybe sheldrick is going to be a Lachie Neale or Luke Parker type gem…..too early to say either way.

Obviously the opportunity came along to add a couple proven elite players with great experience we jumped at that in 2023 but that doesn’t mean a talent scout is not doing their job.

The trades were better and we were ready to pounce on some serious trades after a fair few years of going to the draft.

If you can add two to three serious players to your best 22 each year that means over 8-10 years you have turned over your whole best 22. That is an amazing achievement in recruitment.

The other 5 are in my list above that had (7 players as standouts) are very strong talent identification and you could be adding Campbell to that list by end of 2024 season that makes 8.

But I suspect by end of 2024 we could have another 6 players from my list of 15 that would bump the recruitment efforts up to 14 plus players last 6 years being great acquisitions. Thats on track.

My gut feeling is also that we have a few slow burn players deliberately to hit their straps at more mature stages of their development like we saw with Dawso needing 3 to 4 pre seasons to get his tank to the level required.

This allows us to manage our cap and also play them in AFL at that 22/23 yrs old when really ready at all levels of AFL footy and truly can compete week in week out at a cardio body management level.

Only a small amount of players in each squad had out and out superior biomechanics.

80% plus of athletes are managing so many niggles just to get thru a season let alone a pre season - hence some players like Konstanty, Sheldrick etc can take longer to get to AFL and be a certain “yes” that was a good choice by a Simon Darymple

Everyone has offered Naughton 7 years @ great money.

Dawson was ready in his second season

I think Green & Snell will be top picks

Auntie.Gerald
7th January 2024, 06:06 AM
Totally agree re Green and Snell show some qualities that are strongly in alignment with AFL footy in the future……..I’m sure Snelll has some significant area of improvement being a pick 50ish but he looks like a serious competitor and athlete for 194cm his ground ball and marking was 110% committed.

Dawso had played a total of 5 AFL games prior to entering his 4th season at the Swans

Re Naughton what I meant was mid season we were still negotiating and or sounding out whether he was a possibility to move clubs…….so I genuinely believe we may have been able to achieve Grundy and Naughton but it showed how late Patch really was to be a real possibility to trade for.

The post I did above was just indicating some of the complicating factors when assessing the youth head of recruitment as they can be trumped by seismic opportunities like Patch, Naughton, Grundy etc suddenly being available and a better fit for the cycle we are entering into as a squad.

Or that some players just are not quite ready at a tank vs positionally flexible for the 22 and or they have had a @@@@ty run of injuries and missed this critical pre seasons in the first couple years at the club.

I suspect a fairer point in time to assess will be another 12-18months from now.

Auntie.Gerald
7th January 2024, 07:49 AM
In 2023 the 22yr old James Rowbottom broke Brett Kirk’s record set in 2009 for most tackles - 171.

James ranked fifth in the League through the home-and-away season behind Gold Coast’s Matt Rowell (190), Adelaide’s Rory Laird and Geelong’s Tom Atkins (185), and Western Bulldogs’ Marcus Bontempelli (172).

And he was Sydney’s No.1 tackler by a long way from Errol Gulden (116) and Luke Parker (110).

James played 12 games in his first year at the Swans which was a great effort for any 18year old.

I’m wondering if James role will evolve a little with the emergence of pick 24 Caiden Cleary and Sheldrick? Ie can James play a little more on the offensive if there is talent pushing for AFL footy?

Cleary similar skill levels in his draft year to James but Caiden looks quite strong and powerful already and his run time for 2km is exceptional. Top5at the club year 1 and top5 in the draft combine.

Caiden had the big benefit of a lot of footy last year in VFL but also interstate games for the draft. Plus knowing and training with the squad has been huge in adopting game awareness expected for AFL.

From what I saw of Caiden it will be hard to keep him out of the side by mid season if he has a simplified role ie tagging tackling / run with.

I can’t wait to see him more at pre season playing a similar role to Rowbottom on the other side and comparing their impact / influence around the contested ball.

Patch
Parker
Mills
Rowbottom
Cleary
Sheldrick
Grundy
Etc all scrapping for the loose ball and the tackle pressure.

Can’t help but think Wicks will be under some serious pressure to make the 22 given his limited role that can be a transitional role for a new emerging talent.

dejavoodoo44
7th January 2024, 11:25 AM
In 2023 the 22yr old James Rowbottom broke Brett Kirk’s record set in 2009 for most tackles - 171.

James ranked fifth in the League through the home-and-away season behind Gold Coast’s Matt Rowell (190), Adelaide’s Rory Laird and Geelong’s Tom Atkins (185), and Western Bulldogs’ Marcus Bontempelli (172).

And he was Sydney’s No.1 tackler by a long way from Errol Gulden (116) and Luke Parker (110).

James played 12 games in his first year at the Swans which was a great effort for any 18year old.

I’m wondering if James role will evolve a little with the emergence of pick 24 Caiden Cleary and Sheldrick? Ie can James play a little more on the offensive if there is talent pushing for AFL footy?

Cleary similar skill levels in his draft year to James but Caiden looks quite strong and powerful already and his run time for 2km is exceptional. Top5at the club year 1 and top5 in the draft combine.

Caiden had the big benefit of a lot of footy last year in VFL but also interstate games for the draft. Plus knowing and training with the squad has been huge in adopting game awareness expected for AFL.

From what I saw of Caiden it will be hard to keep him out of the side by mid season if he has a simplified role ie tagging tackling / run with.

I can’t wait to see him more at pre season playing a similar role to Rowbottom on the other side and comparing their impact / influence around the contested ball.

Patch
Parker
Mills
Rowbottom
Cleary
Sheldrick
Grundy

Can’t help but think Wicks will be under some serious pressure to make the 22 given his limited role that can be a transitional role for a new emerging talent.

If Cleary was drafted in 2020, I possibly would have said that he was every chance to make his debut in round one, 2021, along with Gulden, Campbell and McDonald. However, with the depth we have now, I expect him to bide his time in the VFL, and only come into the side if we have plenty of injuries, or if he kicks the door down. Nothing against him. In his junior career, I thought that he continually rose to the challenge, and I expect that forcing his way into a very strong AFL side, will be another challenge that he successfully completes.

And just to stress our midfield depth, you left Chad Warner off your list, while Papley, Heeney and perhaps Campbell, should spend a bit of time in the inside mid rotation. Roberts and Corey Warner are probably AFL level, as well.

On Wicks: I think Konstanty will be the major danger to his place in the side, as the main reason that he was a top twenty pick, was his forward pressure game. While injuries prevented Konstanty from doing much last season, late on, I thought he was starting to show why our recruiters rated him. But since I thought Wicks played well last season, Konstanty will have to perform in the pre-season to claim his spot.

Captain
7th January 2024, 05:25 PM
I'm of the view that Rowbottom would be one of the most under pressure in the team. Not because of poor form but purely because of the strong midfield depth we have.

Clearly Warner, Gulden, Mills, Parker and Adams would all be ahead of him. Then you have Sheldrick who I think is going to be a gun, Jordan who the coaches obviously must like and Heeney/Papley who can run through.

They all can't fit in the one team. Realistically it probably won't be too much of an issue as unlikely to have them all fit at once, but if they are fit, I think it comes down to Rowbottom v Sheldrick/Jordan. Would have him ahead of Jordan but would prefer Sheldrick in the team at all costs.

7th January 2024, 05:51 PM
Ah, what a lovely problem to have.

VFL side should be very strong if the list is sound, a lot more depth than last year, quite a lot

BRS328
7th January 2024, 07:51 PM
Captain
I wouldn’t be too quick to right Rowbottom off. But remember we do have two aging small defenders to replace in Cunningham and Lloyd over the not too distant future, and Rowy may well be suited to one of those roles.
I do get your point about an abundance of talented midfielders, and agree with your overall assessment

i'm-uninformed2
7th January 2024, 08:58 PM
As a well known fan of Rowie, I’ll say this.

His grunt work is better than many appreciate, and not just his tackling. His stoppage clearances are first class, he’s probably the best ‘one percenter’ per player in our side, the coaches clearly love the role he plays and he’s utterly selfless, as well as an all round total hard arse. He’s also usually someone who uses the ball aware of his limitations and will deliver the right kick, as opposed to trying the Errol like lace out. Even his old nemesis on here The Bloods used to remark how he’d always find a spot up for Buddy.

Where I think there is a challenge is his centre clearance possessions are low compared to his work at stoppages. Whether that’s a function of the defensive task he’s given, or it’s not his natural skill set, not sure. Though I felt when he first played he was a bit better at bursting through contests and getting a release away. Either way, he will never be like Chad, but I’m sure he could do a bit more in there than he currently does.

I do think where he has another challenge is there’s not a lot of versatility to his game. He plays tight at the contest, and that’s that. He seemed to cover the ground a bit better when he first arrived and seemed to get back to some of that in the second half of both ‘22 and ‘23. So he’ll need to maintain that, as you’re not likely to play him at half forward, or as small defender (not sure he has the leg speed for that ).

For me, he is still easily best 22. You don’t come top three in the B&F two years in a row if you’re not. I think it was the Gold Coast game at the SCG in 2023 where he and Parker just went to work inside and at the contest, and bashed their terrific midfield into submission. They absolutely went body hunting. It was brutal, a joy to watch two hard heads at work, and a reminder of why Rowie is so valued. But of course there are things for him to keep working on.

But isn’t the debate about his place ‘maybe’ coming under some pressure a great sign of the depth we’re building. So exciting.

Captain
7th January 2024, 11:56 PM
Absolutely agree with all of the above. Not writing him off but am acknowledging he is under pressure due to this extra midfield depth we now have.

I actually really like the idea of him becoming a defender, suits his natural style and would be the ideal replacement of Cunningham or Lloyd.

giant
8th January 2024, 10:04 AM
As a well known fan of Rowie, I’ll say this.

His grunt work is better than many appreciate, and not just his tackling. His stoppage clearances are first class, he’s probably the best ‘one percenter’ per player in our side, the coaches clearly love the role he plays and he’s utterly selfless, as well as an all round total hard arse. He’s also usually someone who uses the ball aware of his limitations and will deliver the right kick, as opposed to trying the Errol like lace out. Even his old nemesis on here The Bloods used to remark how he’d always find a spot up for Buddy.

Where I think there is a challenge is his centre clearance possessions are low compared to his work at stoppages. Whether that’s a function of the defensive task he’s given, or it’s not his natural skill set, not sure. Though I felt when he first played he was a bit better at bursting through contests and getting a release away. Either way, he will never be like Chad, but I’m sure he could do a bit more in there than he currently does.

I do think where he has another challenge is there’s not a lot of versatility to his game. He plays tight at the contest, and that’s that. He seemed to cover the ground a bit better when he first arrived and seemed to get back to some of that in the second half of both ‘22 and ‘23. So he’ll need to maintain that, as you’re not likely to play him at half forward, or as small defender (not sure he has the leg speed for that ).

For me, he is still easily best 22. You don’t come top three in the B&F two years in a row if you’re not. I think it was the Gold Coast game at the SCG in 2023 where he and Parker just went to work inside and at the contest, and bashed their terrific midfield into submission. They absolutely went body hunting. It was brutal, a joy to watch two hard heads at work, and a reminder of why Rowie is so valued. But of course there are things for him to keep working on.

But isn’t the debate about his place ‘maybe’ coming under some pressure a great sign of the depth we’re building. So exciting.

I too am a big JR fan, but if he needs inspiration about where his improvement will come from, a look at the four above him in the tackle count stats would be a good place to start - all highly effective multi-dimensional midfield players. Geez, what a player the Bont is.

Auntie.Gerald
8th January 2024, 03:40 PM
Gulden leads the way in 2km time trial (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1480150/gulden-leads-the-way-in-2km-time-trial)

Heeney !!!!!!!

and image 5 in the gallery "Roberts transformation" looks like an athlete !!!!

and just behind Lloyd after Lloyds 10 pre seasons.........not bad Matt Roberts !

8th January 2024, 04:07 PM
Gulden leads the way in 2km time trial (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1480150/gulden-leads-the-way-in-2km-time-trial)

Heeney !!!!!!!

and just behind Lloyd after Lloyds 10 pre seasons.........not bad Matt Roberts !

Maybe after 10 years Heeney is finally injury free during a pre-season? Augers well finishing in high un-chartered TT territory

i'm-uninformed2
8th January 2024, 05:04 PM

Heeney !!!!!!!

Nice re Heeney, and good to see Jordan is such a great runner.

Is anyone else worried re Chad's hair cut. We don't wanna see a JMac style form decline.

Auntie.Gerald
8th January 2024, 05:09 PM
his mum is a hairdresser

it must driver her crazy !!!!!!

The Chad !!!!

Blood Fever
8th January 2024, 07:14 PM
Might be imagining it, but the guys look very fit.

Nico
9th January 2024, 01:57 PM
Absolutely agree with all of the above. Not writing him off but am acknowledging he is under pressure due to this extra midfield depth we now have.

I actually really like the idea of him becoming a defender, suits his natural style and would be the ideal replacement of Cunningham or Lloyd.

I think his poor kicking and composure disqualifies him from being a defender.

9th January 2024, 06:31 PM
his mum is a hairdresser

it must driver her crazy !!!!!!

The Chad !!!!
The third brother Ashton Warner is eligible for this years draft, his haircut on the WAFL website is a shocker, Mum needs to pull rank and get him looking draftable.

Maltopia
9th January 2024, 06:40 PM
The third brother Ashton Warner is eligible for this years draft, his haircut on the WAFL website is a shocker, Mum needs to pull rank and get him looking draftable.

So we need about pick 41 for him, going by his two older brothers.

That's about a top two finish after academy and father son selections.

That would be nice :)

dejavoodoo44
9th January 2024, 06:56 PM
I'm fairly sure that the previous haircuts of Chad and Corey were the creations of Mrs Warner, so I'm guessing that Ashton's cut is her work as well.

Despite the McInerney precedent, I'm hoping for better hair, better form, from Chad and Corey this season. Actually, I'm pretty confident.

sharp9
13th January 2024, 05:12 PM
I’m over the moon that Sheldrick has matched it with Blakeyband Chad in the 2km! Going places 😁

Dow
14th January 2024, 11:31 AM
I’m over the moon that Sheldrick has matched it with Blakeyband Chad in the 2km! Going places 😁

Yeah I am a hoping as well 😀I am also praying Chad can lift his game another level and find some consistency

graemed
16th January 2024, 10:59 AM
I’m just wondering if I’ve missed something. Many respondents have been naming Mills in the mid-field whilst it’s been my understanding that he will be sidelined for the year.
On another point can anyone tell me what days the groups are training

dejavoodoo44
16th January 2024, 12:42 PM
I’m just wondering if I’ve missed something. Many respondents have been naming Mills in the mid-field whilst it’s been my understanding that he will be sidelined for the year.
After he did the injury, I don't think anyone was giving a definitive answer about how long he would be out for, but perhaps the general vibe was that he'd miss the start of the season and then return a month or two later. I've noticed him in a few of the training pics, but I'm not sure how hard he's been training.

16th January 2024, 02:36 PM
Had 30 minutes to kill waiting for a tradie to show up, so had a look through the Swans website player profiles.

Good is that they have (somewhat) updated them, albeit in rough fashion and can't seem to find a photo of the 2023 draftees

Bad is the actual writing. They should not have allowed a poorly skilled primary kid to write them. Some of the sentences read very poorly, almost nonsense, and the use of the paste function has sentences repeated.

Surely this does not match the quality of the rest of the club? If anyone knows someone of authority in the club, reckon a few on here could produce much higher quality profiles - for free!

Auntie.Gerald
16th January 2024, 04:09 PM
up to 9months for Mills worst case and fairly often

Best case 6months game ready

Bugger of an injury to heal and knit 100% strong. Chance of re injuring is high.

not unlike an ACL reco where you can jog slowly after 8 weeks generally....... but almost every athlete takes 12month before playing full contact

Dow
17th January 2024, 09:15 AM
up to 9months for Mills worst case and fairly often

Best case 6months game ready

Bugger of an injury to heal and knit 100% strong. Chance of re injuring is high.

not unlike an ACL reco where you can jog slowly after 8 weeks generally....... but almost every athlete takes 12month before playing full contact

Let’s hope it’s best case 👍 I am more optimistic than you given, how many rugby players have had the same injury and made it back well under 12 mths, but unfortunately worst case is 12 mths and the chance of reinjury is really high and Mills may never be the same player again.

stevoswan
17th January 2024, 07:23 PM
Let’s hope it’s best case 👍 I am more optimistic than you given, how many rugby players have had the same injury and made it back well under 12 mths, but unfortunately worst case is 12 mths and the chance of reinjury is really high and Mills may never be the same player again.

How do the rugby players go on their return, given rugby is a greater 'impact' sport?

Dow
17th January 2024, 07:55 PM
I wish I could answer - I will endeavour to find out

Auntie.Gerald
17th January 2024, 08:24 PM
Conclusion
Arthroscopic reconstruction of the rotator cuff in overhead athletes is effective for improving function of the shoulder in overhead athletes, with a return to sport in 75.4% of patients within an average of 6.4 months. A total of 62.5% of patients were able to return to sport at pre-injury level.

https://jorthoptraumatol.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s10195-023-00683-w#:~:text=Arthroscopic%20reconstruction%20of%20the %20rotator%20cuff%20in%20overhead%20athletes%20is, sport%20at%20pre%2Dinjury%20level.

Dow
18th January 2024, 11:38 AM
Conclusion
Arthroscopic reconstruction of the rotator cuff in overhead athletes is effective for improving function of the shoulder in overhead athletes, with a return to sport in 75.4% of patients within an average of 6.4 months. A total of 62.5% of patients were able to return to sport at pre-injury level.

https://jorthoptraumatol.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s10195-023-00683-w#:~:text=Arthroscopic%20reconstruction%20of%20the %20rotator%20cuff%20in%20overhead%20athletes%20is, sport%20at%20pre%2Dinjury%20level.

Thats pretty positive :) If he was able to get back early April, we would take that as win surely....

Thanks Auntie for finding that and saving me the hassle :)

Auntie.Gerald
18th January 2024, 01:54 PM
TIME TRIAL RESULTS ARE IN! 🏃 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/shorts/78ZFD2j0dRw)

and the last 2km training results are in :

Foxy
CC
Jmac
Warner Jnr
Indhi
JJ
Errol
Lloydy
BJ

the best news was 9th placed was only 14 seconds behind

that is a bloody good cluster of 9 guys all around that 6min x 2kms

- - - Updated - - -

and the mighty Chad

The Chad starting 2024 off with a 💥 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ggrTMljZ59E)

fending off the old heads !!!

God I hope someone is running off HBF this year so The Chad is not getting pinned from behind when he throws off tacklers and comes to a stop.

Auntie.Gerald
18th January 2024, 01:59 PM
btw how much does Patch Adams look like Christian Slater

Bit of fun on team photo day 📸 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8wGKFIoUa88)

stevoswan
18th January 2024, 10:07 PM
Deleted....already done.....the short Chad video. Impressive!

19th January 2024, 09:29 PM
James Jordan the most impressive in today's internal trial game.

Got him for free because Dees delisted him temporarily a couple of seasons ago to do something with their list. (To the music of Dire Straits) Grundy for peanuts and James Jordan for free. We may owe the Dees, but let's give them a touch up in opening round anyway.

Feeling buoyant at present

liz
19th January 2024, 10:53 PM
James Jordan the most impressive in today's internal trial game.

Where did you watch them? The occasional training photo galleries published on the Swans' site suggest they are not yet on Lakeside, but there's not enough perspective in the photos to distinguish whether they're at Bat and Ball or somewhere in Centennial Park. It's just evident that they are surrounded by trees.

i'm-uninformed2
20th January 2024, 09:02 AM
This contains a link to a story in the Tele, for those with a subscription.

But some highlights - JJ one of the standouts and impressed the other players in match sim, Adams doing the grunt work fantastically, Errol and Chad looking great, Ladhams looking good and Hayden McLean showing strong hands again.

Two other things to note: Heeney spent a lot of time on ball, and coaches are shocked by how impressive Green is already. Apparently already bulking up too. Oh, and a largely healthy list.

I get the reports this time of year are full of hype, but some encouraging stuff in there just the same.

https://x.com/lmckirdy7/status/1748218793745355006?s=61

Dow
20th January 2024, 11:40 AM
This contains a link to a story in the Tele, for those with a subscription.

But some highlights - JJ one of the standouts and impressed the other players in match sim, Adams doing the grunt work fantastically, Errol and Chad looking great, Ladhams looking good and Hayden McLean showing strong hands again.

Two other things to note: Heeney spent a lot of time on ball, and coaches are shocked by how impressive Green is already. Apparently already bulking up too. Oh, and a largely healthy list.

I get the reports this time of year are full of hype, but some encouraging stuff in there just the same.

https://x.com/lmckirdy7/status/1748218793745355006?s=61

Thanks for the updates, please if anybody has any I always enjoy reading them

Auntie.Gerald
20th January 2024, 01:17 PM
https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/1748148947808620749?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1748148947808620749%7Ctwgr% 5Ed384c3c27ac64b9d8b3c441d24d138498daafc7c%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https://d-39023076562423135792.ampproject.net/2312191621000/frame.html

- - - Updated - - -

https://archive.is/SEnYQ

wolftone57
20th January 2024, 01:18 PM

Patch
Parker
Mills
Rowbottom
Cleary
Sheldrick
Grundy

In his first season Wicks kicked a lot of goals. Last year he didn't kick enough. His forward defence improved on 2022. But he is still not giving enough and is a limited player.

Konstanty, Cleary, Sheldrick, Jordan etc are going to make it difficult for him to retain his spot. Using luke Parker forward more, as there are plenty of mids now, will also make it hard for him.

wolftone57
20th January 2024, 01:22 PM
Ah, what a lovely problem to have.

VFL side should be very strong if the list is sound, a lot more depth than last year, quite a lot

Yes it should be & trusslove had better get the best out of them or he will be looking for a new appointment next year.

wolftone57
20th January 2024, 01:28 PM
Captain
I wouldn’t be too quick to right Rowbottom off. But remember we do have two aging small defenders to replace in Cunningham and Lloyd over the not too distant future, and Rowy may well be suited to one of those roles.
I do get your point about an abundance of talented midfielders, and agree with your overall assessment

I think Longmire likes Rowbottom. I do too. Because much of what he does is not on the stats sheet. His aggressive attack on the ball & player often turn the tide for us. his tackles are bone crunchers. His ability to feed the ball out by any means possible is a starting point for many attacks. Many of those feeds do not get a stat because he pushes, knocks or forces the ball out to a teammate. I think he is a very good value mid. I would put Parker forward this year. We finally have the depth to allow him to go forward permanently. He is a very good mark, kicks goals and has really good goal sense. He is able to feed the ball to others for goal opportunities. He is also a great crumber & he & Paps will make a deadly team of small forwards to compliment the medium & tall forwards.

wolftone57
20th January 2024, 01:46 PM

Not for the year. The first calculation was mid season but the recovery has been faster than expected from what I'm hearing. So, maybe early season, before the break hopefully

Dow
20th January 2024, 03:30 PM
https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/1748148947808620749?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1748148947808620749%7Ctwgr% 5Ed384c3c27ac64b9d8b3c441d24d138498daafc7c%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https://d-39023076562423135792.ampproject.net/2312191621000/frame.html

- - - Updated - - -

https://archive.is/SEnYQ

Thank Auntie, I really appreciate that.

Auntie.Gerald
21st January 2024, 09:39 PM
And the new gun ruck tapping to JJ

Patch
JJ
Grundy
Familiarity

Nico
22nd January 2024, 09:15 AM
Has everyone forgotten about Chad? He should be ready to peak.

Ruck'n'Roll
22nd January 2024, 12:19 PM

The mongrel punt preview had a chapter on the Chad.

Unfortunately cutting and pasting such a big chunk is an copyright issue however I am however allowed to offer a precis:

Warner's attack on the footy and the way he is hell-bent on making a a straight line from the contest toward the goal is both a blessing and curse for the Swans. When it comes off, Warner is able to pump the footy deep inside 50 and give his forwards a genuine chance at a one-out contest. However last year a lot of the time the pressure he was under had a severely adverse effect on his disposal.
Many disposals became “nothing” kicks and that tneeds to change. You don’t want to dissuade him from taking the game on, but you also don’t want him spraying the footy around like he is a drunk guy at a urinal trying to write his name. So composure will be the key for Warner in 2024. Perhaps the arrival of Adams will help in that regard?

Auntie.Gerald
22nd January 2024, 02:28 PM
It did feel that way at times compared to the season before where he ran really nice angles and kicked on angles also to find great options

I wonder if it backs up in stats vs players in other teams with similar roles?

i'm-uninformed2
22nd January 2024, 03:51 PM
I suspect it was partly a function of sides had a clear eye on his exits and worked hard to shut them down; partly a function of him needing to work his way through something he'd have never have experienced before; and partly a function of the way he was used.

He seemed, at least to the eye, to spend a fraction too much time under the ball at the contest and part of the inner ring.

I think I posted on here before ideally you have a mix that is something like: inner: Mills/Adams/Rowie/Parker/Sheldrick; one step removed with the ability to take space on offer: Chad, Errol, suspect JJ will fall into this bucket -Heeney and Paps when they are on the ball; outer: Campbell, JMac types. And of course players mix and match at times. But there were times last year Chad seemed to need to play in the inner ring for extended stretches.

The arrival of Adams and emergence of Sheldrick should hopefully give him that fraction of extra space and time, and given players of his calibre work in half-seconds and half-metres, it'll mean a lot. For a solid beast, Chad covers the ground very well (even if he could work a little harder defensively at times) and whilst he is never going to be an elite kick of the class of Blakey or Errol, he did show in 2022 he can be a powerful kick and is quite astute with a bit of space at hitting the 30-40m kick quite well.

Nico
22nd January 2024, 05:47 PM
Teams played on his right hand side that forced him to go left and kick either sideways or inside out. They tried to stop him running in a straight line on his right hand side.

Dow
22nd January 2024, 07:55 PM

He has a lot of upside, but last year showed he has plenty to work on. I am hoping having some new friends in the midfield takes the pressure off and he feels he doesn't have to do it all by himself. (Nico I feel your right teams worked him out)

Auntie.Gerald
23rd January 2024, 06:54 AM
Team photo day and Bloods training | Inside Sydney Episode 3 - YouTube (https://youtu.be/j-VQseZr0y8?si=3NWsQmMRAaKUqRDQ)

Great footage of the bloods pre season

Just released 11hrs ago

MadCanuck
23rd January 2024, 03:56 PM
Look like a happy, relaxed bunch, especially the newbies. Gotta be a good sign.

rickmat
23rd January 2024, 04:14 PM
It's great that the Swans have now become proactive with these clips showing the boys training and simulated games. It's so much more than what has been peddled out by the Swans in previous years. It shows the camaraderie we are building up, the competition between players and how fit the boys are looking at this stage in pre season (fingers crossed no major injuries). One thing that stands out even at this early stage is how awesome Grundy is looking in the simulated games and in confidence he is giving the boys around him. Grundy will be a game changer for the Swans in my eyes, maybe that missing link towards a premiership.

Maltopia
23rd January 2024, 05:45 PM
Team photo day and Bloods training | Inside Sydney Episode 3 - YouTube (https://youtu.be/j-VQseZr0y8?si=3NWsQmMRAaKUqRDQ)

Great footage of the bloods pre season

Just released 11hrs ago

Ah, here is the proof. We must have offered Grundy some work as a physio as part of our recruitment pitch :D

23rd January 2024, 06:00 PM
Do we know when the pre season game against a rival club is programmed? VFL trial games as well?

Over here the Crows pre season dates and times are known.

Auntie.Gerald
23rd January 2024, 06:12 PM
good to see Grundy clearing out the ear holes of his team mates :)

He is a character

But he he is miles behind Wicks and Jmac when it comes to stirring up the clowns

Mel_C
23rd January 2024, 07:54 PM
Do we know when the pre season game against a rival club is programmed? VFL trial games as well?

Over here the Crows pre season dates and times are known.
Yes there was an article on the Swans app posted in December. We are playing Brisbane:

Thursday, February 29, 2024
Blacktown International Sportspark
4:10pm

It's a crap day/time.

Not sure about VFL trial games.

Aaron
23rd January 2024, 09:50 PM
Swans will also take on the Giants a week prior to their Community Series match with the Lions, taking on their crosstown rival on Thursday, February 22 at Tramway Oval at 10am AEDT.The matchup will be open to the public and free of charge.

Molly dooker
24th January 2024, 03:57 PM
Watched training this morning and noticed a few things:

1 - Callum did lots of lap running and then joined in on a marking and kicking session. I asked him how it was progressing and if he was pushing his shoulder too hard and he said "no, it feels good".
2 - The only other not doing all the drills was Cooper V and he said he had a slight niggle in the groin which didn't seem to bother him and it looks like he didn't join in as a precaution.
3 - Nick B does look a lot bigger
4 - Corey W looked fit, bigger and fast
5 - Cleary looks great as does Sheldrick
6 - Quite a few different drills than observed a few years back. Hand ball game, short kick game and half field 10 - 7 player kicking forward match kinda sims.

They all looked sharp and like they were having fun.

Amon B kicked his runner off when kicking the ball and continued using his left foot to kick some big kicks, he is starting to look a little on the Stewie Dew side. Aaahhh, life after footy hey!!!

Exciting for sure

Mark26
24th January 2024, 04:26 PM

1 - Callum did lots of lap running and then joined in on a marking and kicking session. I asked him how it was progressing and if he was pushing his shoulder too hard and he said "no, it feels good".
2 - The only other not doing all the drills was Cooper V and he said he had a slight niggle in the groin which didn't seem to bother him and it looks like he didn't join in as a precaution.
6 - Quite a few different drills than observed a few years back. Hand ball game, short kick game and half field 10 - 7 player kicking forward match kinda sims.

Amon B kicked his runner off when kicking the ball and continued using his left foot to kick some big kicks, he is starting to look a little on the Stewie Dew side. Aaahhh, life after footy hey!!!

Exciting for sure

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

Auntie.Gerald
24th January 2024, 09:04 PM
And it’s before me seeing Cat Empire at Taronga Zoo that evening

Maybe both can happen?

Dow
25th January 2024, 02:27 PM

Exciting for sure

Thanks for the update and keep them coming please

Ruck'n'Roll
30th January 2024, 08:18 AM
AAP piece on Mills MSN (https://www.msn.com/en-au/health/other/injured-swans-co-captain-mills-pushing-for-quick-return/ar-BB1hpuMs?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=b366fe0320e346c9aec08bcc5bed3492&ei=19)
The phrase "Doubts were cast over whether club officials would strip Mills of the captain's armband" has me casting doubt on the journalists credability, but presumably the rest of the article is a feed from the Swans.

liz
30th January 2024, 08:48 AM
AAP piece on Mills MSN (https://www.msn.com/en-au/health/other/injured-swans-co-captain-mills-pushing-for-quick-return/ar-BB1hpuMs?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=b366fe0320e346c9aec08bcc5bed3492&ei=19)
The phrase "Doubts were cast over whether club officials would strip Mills of the captain's armband" has me casting doubt on the journalists credability, but presumably the rest of the article is a feed from the Swans.

Credibility, maybe. Clarity of expression, definitely.

Dow
30th January 2024, 09:09 AM
Hopefully he maybe back early than thought which would be a real positive

Blood Fever
30th January 2024, 09:40 AM
Credibility, maybe. Clarity of expression, definitely.

Article had him 29 years old as well. Fair bit over the odds.

30th January 2024, 11:40 AM
Article had him 29 years old as well. Fair bit over the odds.

Mills is 26 currently, turns 27 early in the season.

I'd like to tell you how much he weighs, but pffft, the AFL has decided to keep that secret LOL

Been reading a few other clubs BF pre season threads, the AFL needs to expand the final 8, way too many teams to squeeze in there! But of course, this is the time of year for dreaming

Auntie.Gerald
30th January 2024, 02:55 PM
AFL 2023: Callum Mills injury, shoulder surgery, mad monday accident, fight with teammate, Sydney Swans, miss start of next season (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/sydney-swans/afl-2023-callum-mills-injury-shoulder-surgery-mad-monday-accident-fight-with-teammate-sydney-swans-miss-start-of-next-season/news-story/64a44be927ca16fddb4c00f812d84a35)

So after 4months almost to the day he has just returned to running.

Hmmm I’m still leaning closer towards 9months vs 6months for a return to footy

2months form now for such a tricky op rehab injury to start playing footy would be a miracle

If it does happen that Mills is playing within 6months from injury that is awesome 🙌

giant
30th January 2024, 03:57 PM

Exciting for sure

Thanks for this - may I ask how you found out about this or was it serendipitous?

Goal Sneak
30th January 2024, 04:54 PM
AFL 2023: Callum Mills injury, shoulder surgery, mad monday accident, fight with teammate, Sydney Swans, miss start of next season (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/sydney-swans/afl-2023-callum-mills-injury-shoulder-surgery-mad-monday-accident-fight-with-teammate-sydney-swans-miss-start-of-next-season/news-story/64a44be927ca16fddb4c00f812d84a35)

So after 4months almost to the day he has just returned to running.

Hmmm I’m still leaning closer towards 9months vs 6months for a return to footy

2months form now for such a tricky op rehab injury to start playing footy would be a miracle

If it does happen that Mills is playing within 6months from injury that is awesome 🙌

6 months seems optimistic. Reading that Calum has not run for 4 months made me think of the disastrous covid quarantine a couple of years back. The brief interruption to training affected his tendonitis and he ended up missing a whole bunch of games. Hoping for a fast recovery but I'm not too confident.

waswan
30th January 2024, 08:34 PM
Callum swinging a golf club today ?

giant
30th January 2024, 09:59 PM
6 months seems optimistic. Reading that Calum has not run for 4 months made me think of the disastrous covid quarantine a couple of years back. The brief interruption to training affected his tendonitis and he ended up missing a whole bunch of games. Hoping for a fast recovery but I'm not too confident.

There was a much more optimistic article on AFL.com on this with Heeney talking up a "miraculous" rehab. I guess time will tell.

Auntie.Gerald
31st January 2024, 02:23 PM
"We have loved every minute of it" - Cox - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8guHkvvWBUE)

Matty Roberts standing out in his 3rd pre season as per interview with Coxy

Thunder Shaker
31st January 2024, 06:29 PM
'Unbelievable' recruit makes instant impact, young Swan turns heads (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1074202/hes-been-unbelievable-sydney-swans-recruit-brodie-grundy-makes-instant-impact)
Interview with ruck coach Dean Cox discussing Grundy and Green. Also mentions Amartey, McDonald and Roberts.

rb4x
1st February 2024, 07:02 PM
Hearing so much how Roberts, Sheldrick, Heeney,, Cleary, Fox, Gulden, Papley, MacDonald, Amartey, Cleary, Blakey etc plus of course Grundy, Adams and Jordon are dominating at training yet there is one group that we hear virtually nothing about. I refer to our second year contingent namely; Konstanty, Vickery, Mitchell, Magor, Edwards and also Arnold and Buller. Is that group a total bust. It also includes Owen who is already history. Can someone give us a good news story about anyone in that group. All I have heard is that Vickery has a niggle and that Konstanty wiped out our co-captain for a significant amount of this year. Is Dalrymple leaving related to this or are the two stories totally unrelated?

Mel_C
1st February 2024, 07:12 PM
We are playing GWS in a match simulation. Details of our 2 pre season games:

Match Simulations (live on Kayo)
Thursday, February 22
Sydney v Greater Western Sydney, Tramway Oval (opposite SCG), 10am AEDT

2024 AFL Community Series fixture (live on Fox Footy & Kayo)
Thursday, February 29
Sydney v Brisbane, Blacktown International Sportspark, 4.10pm AEDT

Maltopia
2nd February 2024, 04:16 AM
Funny video of Grundy with young supporters "Do you know who Brodie Grundy is?" - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWmN2uqzdjQ)

giant
2nd February 2024, 03:49 PM
Hearing so much how Roberts, Sheldrick, Heeney,, Cleary, Fox, Gulden, Papley, MacDonald, Amartey, Cleary, Blakey etc plus of course Grundy, Adams and Jordon are dominating at training yet there is one group that we hear virtually nothing about. I refer to our second year contingent namely; Konstanty, Vickery, Mitchell, Magor, Edwards and also Arnold and Buller. Is that group a total bust. It also includes Owen who is already history. Can someone give us a good news story about anyone in that group. All I have heard is that Vickery has a niggle and that Konstanty wiped out our co-captain for a significant amount of this year. Is Dalrymple leaving related to this or are the two stories totally unrelated?

Bloody good question(s).

wolftone57
3rd February 2024, 01:55 PM

I have seen footage of Arnold, he looked good. There was some talk about Buller having a pretty strong showing in the match sim at Coffs. A little about Konstanty but not much. Magor is still playing in the backs according to a watcher. One watcher at Coffs said Roberts was electric but he said he might have also mistaken Roberts for Mitchell a few times. But they move very differently & Roberts is a super kick, whereas that is a skill Mitchell has to work on.

I think Dalrymple wanted to move back to Victoria.

wolftone57
3rd February 2024, 02:08 PM
"We have loved every minute of it" - Cox - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8guHkvvWBUE)

Matty Roberts standing out in his 3rd pre season as per interview with Coxy

Good interview. With a healthy list we will be far better than last year. I love how Dean said our forwards are starting to grow inti their bodies, he specifically mentioned Amartey & McDonald

BRS328
3rd February 2024, 02:11 PM
I think you need to put some perspective into this.
Very few players come out from the under 19 drafts and have an immediate impact. There are exceptions such as Gulden and Daicos,
But the majority build their strength and fitness via the VFL, and generally with limited minutes. Remember they have not undergone a full preseason conditioning program, and in some cases it takes two to three years to get fully conditioned. The example of Robert’s is exactly that as he commences his third season. Dawson was another good example.
For that reason all clubs give primary draft picks a minimum of two years before a a decision as the second year is their first year of a full preseason.
Owen was a different story, he was a rookie pick with a 12 month contract, and obviously the club considered he was not going to make it.

wolftone57
3rd February 2024, 02:56 PM
We are playing GWS in a match simulation. Details of our 2 pre season games:

Match Simulations (live on Kayo)
Thursday, February 22
Sydney v Greater Western Sydney, Tramway Oval (opposite SCG), 10am AEDT

2024 AFL Community Series fixture (live on Fox Footy & Kayo)
Thursday, February 29
Sydney v Brisbane, Blacktown International Sportspark, 4.10pm AEDT

I hope they give all the boys who are a chance a run. In the past they have had a record of not playing potential A Grader until after another start in the 'Twos'. Allir, Dawson, Hewett etc were not used much in trials & started the years of hard slog to make the A's. Funnily, Paps played a quarter & a half in a trial & was picked for the first game of the season. He did kick 4 in that trial against GWS. It is really weird how some players get trialed & some get little or no time. Melican got plenty of trial time & showed a lot in the intra club. Then in the club trial the week after. But we were playing him mainly as a running defender, same role as Blakey plays now. He took a couple of sensational marks, one backing into an oncoming pack, Jonno Brown style. Brave indeed.

I would like to see how Konstanty, Green, Snell, Cleary, Kirk, Roberts, Buller, Arnold, McAndrew etc in the first trial at least.

liz
3rd February 2024, 04:09 PM
It is really weird how some players get trialed & some get little or no time.

It's not weird at all. The coaches have a few months of training form and a knowledge of players ' physical capabilities/development on which to base their decisions of who to play in pre-season games and who to hold back.

Blood Fever
3rd February 2024, 05:42 PM
Saw some photos of the Coffs Harbour training camp. Blakey looks a fair bit bigger. Not a goanna yet but noticeably stronger.

The Big Cat
4th February 2024, 08:14 PM
Blakey looks a fair bit bigger. Not a goanna yet but noticeably stronger.

We'll have to monitor him!

Blood Fever
5th February 2024, 05:23 AM
We'll have to monitor him!

LOL. Will keep checking his scales.

Auntie.Gerald
5th February 2024, 02:08 PM
Really goanna miss the humour in here one day

😂 😜

giant
5th February 2024, 02:16 PM
I think you need to put some perspective into this.
Very few players come out from the under 19 drafts and have an immediate impact. There are exceptions such as Gulden and Daicos,
But the majority build their strength and fitness via the VFL, and generally with limited minutes. Remember they have not undergone a full preseason conditioning program, and in some cases it takes two to three years to get fully conditioned. The example of Robert’s is exactly that as he commences his third season. Dawson was another good example.
For that reason all clubs give primary draft picks a minimum of two years before a a decision as the second year is their first year of a full preseason.
Owen was a different story, he was a rookie pick with a 12 month contract, and obviously the club considered he was not going to make it.

Yep, fair point - reviewing that draft, there are in fact very few players after pick 18 that have played seniors yet. I'm sure as a Covid graduate class, results will vary from previous years too.

Maltopia
5th February 2024, 05:46 PM
Yep, fair point - reviewing that draft, there are in fact very few players after pick 18 that have played seniors yet. I'm sure as a Covid graduate class, results will vary from previous years too.

In previous National drafts:

Hewitt (pick 32) debuted round 1 in his third year and played all but two games.

Tom McCartin (pick 33) debuted round 8 in his first season.

Will Hayward (pick 21) debuted round 2 in his first season.

McInerney (pick 44) debuted round 4 in his first season.

Chad Warner (pick 39) debuted round 8 in his first year.

Roberts (pick 34) debuted round 11 in his first year

Corey Warner (pick 40) debuted round 5 in his second year.

There are others I haven’t looked up. So from our own record, our 2021 draft after pick 18 is looking under par, whilst acknowledging COVID impacts and other clubs apparently have also had very limited success.

Maybe it was comparatively a very shallow draft. Not writing the players off, and hope some develop for us, but it might just be a bad draft for us (and other teams).

6th February 2024, 02:00 PM
Callum Mills now sole captain despite all the muck raking media innuendo that he may be dropped just because of the super strength of Konstanty

Need a vice captain to fill the role until Mills returns

Blood Fever
6th February 2024, 02:49 PM
Callum Mills now sole captain despite all the muck raking media innuendo that he may be dropped just because of the super strength of Konstanty

Need a vice captain to fill the role until Mills returns

Great decision. Club shows its maturity by ignoring over the top reaction from both media and some fans.

i'm-uninformed2
6th February 2024, 02:52 PM
Good on him. He's been destined to do it since he was in the Academy. And as someone who was less offended by the offseason incident, as stuff happens, I'm glad we have a club that is mature enough to go past the short term to look at the big picture.

Two other things: I wouldn't be surprised if Papley is vice captain, and acting captain during the period Cal is out. Just a personal instinct, and I reckon he'll be a beauty.

And major thanks to Parker and Ramps. We've been blessed as a club to have a long line of stellar captains, as both footballers and people. The work Parks and Ramps did to carry us from the 'down period' when they consistently maintained their standards on the field and the training park was remarkable. Both great servants of our club, and they get to focus on their football for however long their careers have left.

BRS328
6th February 2024, 02:56 PM
Very well said. I like your thinking on Papley

Bloods05
6th February 2024, 03:27 PM
Really goanna miss the humour in here one day

😂 😜

Where's it going?

Sandridge
6th February 2024, 05:14 PM
Great decision. Club shows its maturity by ignoring over the top reaction from both media and some fans.

Totally agree.

Captain
6th February 2024, 08:21 PM
Given he is meant to miss half the season, I find it slightly strange that they didn't persist with the same 3 captains this year before moving to Mills as sole captain next year.

Nico
6th February 2024, 09:53 PM
I have seen little about Hayden McLean. I think he will be a real wild card for us. He really came on in the 2nd half of the season and if he continues on from his Qualifying Final form he will be a real bonus given the inclusion of Grundy. He got himself super fit and went from a lumbering big man with a turning circle bigger than the Queen Mary, to a versatile around the ground ruckman taking stacks of marks.

i'm-uninformed2
7th February 2024, 09:39 AM
In previous National drafts:

Hewitt (pick 32) debuted round 1 in his third year and played all but two games.

Tom McCartin (pick 33) debuted round 8 in his first season.

Will Hayward (pick 21) debuted round 2 in his first season.

McInerney (pick 44) debuted round 4 in his first season.

Chad Warner (pick 39) debuted round 8 in his first year.

Roberts (pick 34) debuted round 11 in his first year

Corey Warner (pick 40) debuted round 5 in his second year.

There are others I haven’t looked up. So from our own record, our 2021 draft after pick 18 is looking under par, whilst acknowledging COVID impacts and other clubs apparently have also had very limited success.

Maybe it was comparatively a very shallow draft. Not writing the players off, and hope some develop for us, but it might just be a bad draft for us (and other teams).

This is a good post and also a good reminder of why we need to be a bit careful about judging players too early.

The player on the list that had - by a clear margin in terms of pure production - the best first two years was Hayward. He kicked 50 goals over them, and in fact his second year was probably his best year stats wise bar 2022.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/W/Will_Hayward.html

Now as much as I rate the selfless role he’s usually asked to play, you wouldn’t argue for a second he’s gone on to be the best of that batch. It’s a clear competition between Chad and Tom Mc for that title. Both of them showed great signs in their first two years but either due to their bodies or whatever, took a while to mature. And that’s ok.

If none of the 2021 crop show much this year, I’d be getting a little more nervous. But I don’t think we’re there yet.

Auntie.Gerald
7th February 2024, 02:38 PM
Coffs Intraclub: Umpire Cam (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/1486463/coffs-intraclub-umpire-cam?videoId=1486463&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1707195753001)

ok footage

more importantly below

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/1486493/announcing-our-captain-for-2024?videoId=1486493&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1707198152001

wow cat out of the bag

Longmire said mid season for Mills return

That settles that

O'Reilly Boy
7th February 2024, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=Auntie.Gerald;880778]Coffs Intraclub: Umpire Cam (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/1486463/coffs-intraclub-umpire-cam?videoId=1486463&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1707195753001)

ok footage

love the 'F@&k me!' 42 seconds in

Maltopia
7th February 2024, 03:29 PM
Coffs Intraclub: Umpire Cam (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/1486463/coffs-intraclub-umpire-cam?videoId=1486463&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1707195753001)

ok footage

Saw this on YouTube where a commenter said something like “Pistol Pete MVP”. Maybe someone who saw the session and thought Ladhams was a standout?

Mark26
7th February 2024, 03:42 PM

ok footage

more importantly below

Announcing our captain for 2024 (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/1486493/announcing-our-captain-for-2024?videoId=1486493&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1707198152001)

wow cat out of the bag

Longmire said mid season for Mills return

That settles that

I'd be surprised if he doesn't return sooner than that. It doesn't make sense to me to elect him solely as our captain and not have him play fifty percent of the time in 2024.

Auntie.Gerald
7th February 2024, 04:15 PM
just going with what Longmire said earnestly.......

he also said that no big deal using the other guys as captains until Mills returns

agree Mark26 it is a strange call half way through rehab

i struggle to see the upside ?

7th February 2024, 05:25 PM
AFL.com.au's chief football correspondent, Damian Barrett, says he "cannot reconcile" Sydney's decision to elevate Callum Mills to the club's captaincy given the midfielder's self-inflicted shoulder injury that will see him miss the first half the season.

Well that's settled the argument, with the Mills announcement, the club is officially a shambles, as it's been bagged by Barrett. What a wanchor LOL

Mark26
7th February 2024, 07:03 PM

he also said that no big deal using the other guys as captains until Mills returns

Maybe Horse has been reading Kinnear's book of misdirection? On the other hand, Isaac hinted in a clip not too long ago that it wouldn't surprise him to see Mills play earlier than expected.

I certainly hope Isaac is right!

Blood Fever
7th February 2024, 07:17 PM
AFL.com.au's chief football correspondent, Damian Barrett, says he "cannot reconcile" Sydney's decision to elevate Callum Mills to the club's captaincy given the midfielder's self-inflicted shoulder injury that will see him miss the first half the season.

Well that's settled the argument, with the Mills announcement, the club is officially a shambles, as it's been bagged by Barrett. What a wanchor LOL

Longmire and the club will be tossing and turning every night from now on.

Captain
7th February 2024, 08:30 PM
I'd be surprised if he doesn't return sooner than that. It doesn't make sense to me to elect him solely as our captain and not have him play fifty percent of the time in 2024.

Absolutely. Will be interesting to see when he does come back.

- - - Updated - - -

Was he saying Mills shouldn't be captain at all or shouldn't be the sole captain? Two very different takes. One I would disagree with and one I would agree with.

Dow
7th February 2024, 11:31 PM
I am happy for Mills to return mid-year - last year they had him missing the whole season

Maltopia
7th February 2024, 11:40 PM

I watched the announcement by Horse and it seemed like it was decided already last year that Mills would take over as but they decided to delay the announcement given the injury.

If that is correct then, Ramps and Parker may have stepped down last year but the club also kept that news until now as well.

Roadrunner
8th February 2024, 08:24 AM
I watched the announcement by Horse and it seemed like it was decided already last year that Mills would take over as but they decided to delay the announcement given the injury.

If that is correct then, Ramps and Parker may have stepped down last year but the club also kept that news until now as well.

My guess is that the club decided to go with one captain- Mills- for 2024 before his injury and when it became obvious that he may miss a chunk of the session, they felt that there was no need to make any change to that original decision. After all, any player can get injured at any time. We have Ramps and Parks as past co- captains, but have we announced a vice- captain for 2024 as yet?

Dow
8th February 2024, 09:51 AM

Just a thought and a thought only maybe this year Ramps and Parker become vulnerable to being dropped IF form drops away like it has for both of them during parts of last year and you don't want to be in a position where you have to drop a co-captain, just a thought

dejavoodoo44
8th February 2024, 10:47 AM
Just a thought and a thought only maybe this year Ramps and Parker become vulnerable to being dropped IF form drops away like it has for both of them during parts of last year and you don't want to be in a position where you have to drop a co-captain, just a thought
Yes, as someone who prefers the three captain model, I was also wondering that. As in, perhaps it was decided that Rampe and Parker would be better off just concentrating on their own form, rather than continuing with any extra responsibilities that captaincy might bring?

Also, looking at the leadership group from last year of: Franklin, Papley, Lloyd, Heeney and Hayward; I'm not sure if any of them is really a long-term and immediate captaincy option? Obviously Franklin has retired. Papley is probably a decent option, but there does seem to be a bit of loose cannon to his personality. So, perhaps they'll be assessing how he goes while Mills is injured, with an eye on a future promotion to co-captain? Lloyd might be an option, but he seems a touch introverted to me (which may or may not be correct). Heeney has been reluctant to take on a leadership role in the past, so it's possible that he's not all that keen to expand his role? And while Hayward seems popular around the club, with our added depth, I'm not sure if his spot is totally secure?

Of other options, I suspect that almost everyone would consider Gulden to be a future captain, but maybe they think he's currently too young to be a co-captain? Though I think that it's likely he'll replace Franklin in the leadership group.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who does the coin tossing in the absence of Mills, and it'll also be interesting if they revert to the co-captaincy model next year.

Auntie.Gerald
8th February 2024, 02:01 PM
maybe Mills will have plenty of time to do the media first10 rounds :)

i'm-uninformed2
8th February 2024, 03:43 PM
Yes, as someone who prefers the three captain model, I was also wondering that. As in, perhaps it was decided that Rampe and Parker would be better off just concentrating on their own form, rather than continuing with any extra responsibilities that captaincy might bring?

Also, looking at the leadership group from last year of: Franklin, Papley, Lloyd, Heeney and Hayward; I'm not sure if any of them is really a long-term and immediate captaincy option? Obviously Franklin has retired. Papley is probably a decent option, but there does seem to be a bit of loose cannon to his personality. So, perhaps they'll be assessing how he goes while Mills is injured, with an eye on a future promotion to co-captain? Lloyd might be an option, but he seems a touch introverted to me (which may or may not be correct). Heeney has been reluctant to take on a leadership role in the past, so it's possible that he's not all that keen to expand his role? And while Hayward seems popular around the club, with our added depth, I'm not sure if his spot is totally secure?

Of other options, I suspect that almost everyone would consider Gulden to be a future captain, but maybe they think he's currently too young to be a co-captain? Though I think that it's likely he'll replace Franklin in the leadership group.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who does the coin tossing in the absence of Mills, and it'll also be interesting if they revert to the co-captaincy model next year.

All fair enough. I suspect Paps will definitely stay, Heeney in the leadership group at least, and sometimes people like Hayward are in these groups for what they do off the field as much as on.

My instinct re Errol is let him be him for now, but who knows - I suspect they could ask him to Chair the Board and play fullback, and he'd go cool and cool and by the way, anything else?

I wouldn't be surprised if Blakey was added to the leadership group. He really has blossomed over the past two years, does a lot more onfield talking and direction these days, and struck me as a bloke whose standards stayed high during our rough patch last year - which always gets high marks from me and I reckon would internally too.

liz
8th February 2024, 03:49 PM
I won’t be surprised if Grundy and/or Adams is added to the leadership group. Might depend on how big a group they go with this year.

dejavoodoo44
8th February 2024, 05:56 PM
All fair enough. I suspect Paps will definitely stay, Heeney in the leadership group at least, and sometimes people like Hayward are in these groups for what they do off the field as much as on.

My instinct re Errol is let him be him for now, but who knows - I suspect they could ask him to Chair the Board and play fullback, and he'd go cool and cool and by the way, anything else?

I wouldn't be surprised if Blakey was added to the leadership group. He really has blossomed over the past two years, does a lot more onfield talking and direction these days, and struck me as a bloke whose standards stayed high during our rough patch last year - which always gets high marks from me and I reckon would internally too.
Now that you've mentioned Blakey, he does seem a reasonable option. Especially as he's the son of a long term coach. Which means that there's a good chance that he's been discussing football tactics for much of his life.

- - - Updated - - -

I won’t be surprised if Grundy and/or Adams is added to the leadership group. Might depend on how big a group they go with this year.

Wouldn't surprise me either. Haven't heard much of Adams speaking, but I get the feeling that he might like to lead by example. While there does seem to be a bit of depth to Grundy's thinking.

i'm-uninformed2
8th February 2024, 06:27 PM

Adams is the other one I should have mentioned and a good call from you. Grundy has had a lot of attention but it’s easily forgotten Adams was vice captain at the Pies and often led them on the rare occasions Benjamin Button was out.

dejavoodoo44
8th February 2024, 08:16 PM
maybe Mills will have plenty of time to do the media first10 rounds :)

Maybe fill in for Longmire at the occasional post-match press conference?

"Yeah, the boys really put in, but honestly, the game plan was crap."

Auntie.Gerald
9th February 2024, 05:52 AM
But the game plan was good with Don Pyke :)

O'Reilly Boy
9th February 2024, 08:40 AM
Really enjoyed the extended footage of the match play in episode 4 of Inside Sydney. Brodie Grundy runs like a midfielder and is such a good user. very exciting.

i'm-uninformed2
9th February 2024, 10:36 AM
Really enjoyed the extended footage of the match play in episode 4 of Inside Sydney. Brodie Grundy runs like a midfielder and is such a good user. very exciting.

Very good. It's his one wood actually. He is serviceable as a tap ruckman, but his real point of difference has always been playing as an extra midfielder and his ground ball work is first class.

There's also a very funny moment in the video where Rowie marks the ball in space and then has Ladhams looping around next to him, followed by Blakey. He opts for Ladhams and someone yells 'why give it to him'. But Ladhams then nails a 40m pass and yells 'that's why'.

As for the golf swings, let's just say I'm glad Parks, Blakey, Ladhams and Grundy can play footy. Harry C looks the winner, closely followed by Errol.

Auntie.Gerald
9th February 2024, 01:07 PM
Caleb Mitchell was doing it easy running freely in the inter game...........good anticipation, change of pace.............and he appears to have arms down to his knees...........seems much taller then 186cm?

Good to see Gus in the thick of it

Grundy follow up work outstanding and even Pete Ladhams looking sharp

9th February 2024, 07:31 PM
Caleb Mitchell was doing it easy running freely in the inter game...........good anticipation, change of pace.............and he appears to have arms down to his knees...........seems much taller then 186cm?........

Mitchell pick 40, a rich area of the draft over the years for us. Same pick as Micky O and Parker, other notables Reid at 38, Chad at 39, Goodes at 43, so go Caleb, be another pick 40 gun.

Don't think I've ever been so keen before to see trial games, such intrigue surrounds the make up of the side.

Who will be the other KPD's as only Tom and Rampe (third tall) are locks. Blakey will take one HBF plus Lloyd, but what about the other medium/small backs, anyone pushing out encumbents?

Three KPF needed, assume McL and McD are locks, Amartey, Ladhams, Buller jostling for the third spot.

Midfield and wings, Errol, Chad, Parker, Adams, McInerney probably locks, Rowbottom, JJ, Roberts, Campbell?

So much to play out, trial games will be full bore as players attempt to get their name into the lock column.

Mel_C
9th February 2024, 07:45 PM
There's also a very funny moment in the video where Rowie marks the ball in space and then has Ladhams looping around next to him, followed by Blakey. He opts for Ladhams and someone yells 'why give it to him'. But Ladhams then nails a 40m pass and yells 'that's why'.

I laughed when I saw/heard that. But I missed when Ladhams responded with "That's why". I was thinking the same reply when I saw his pass. He looked impressive in the footage shown. Hopefully he has left his brain farts behind!

rojo
10th February 2024, 03:02 PM
Recently I was idly looking at a few players' stats on the Swans website comparing a few to see how they matched up with each other. I know that stats are just part of the picture! However I had a look at those of Ladhams and McLean to see how they matched up and my eyes opened wide. They both scored below average for 'hit outs to advantage' and McLean also for 'hitouts', while Ladhams got an average for that - phew! The real surprise was that Ladhams followed up with an above average for all other stats ie disposals, kicks, handballs, total clearances!

Who is this player? His weakest point lies in his ruck work! As with Mel here's hoping he can have a year free from injury and stuff ups. One or two 'elites' may be hiding there which would be good.

i'm-uninformed2
10th February 2024, 03:52 PM
Recently I was idly looking at a few players' stats on the Swans website comparing a few to see how they matched up with each other. I know that stats are just part of the picture! However I had a look at those of Ladhams and McLean to see how they matched up and my eyes opened wide. They both scored below average for 'hit outs to advantage' and McLean also for 'hitouts', while Ladhams got an average for that - phew! The real surprise was that Ladhams followed up with an above average for all other stats ie disposals, kicks, handballs, total clearances!

Who is this player? His weakest point lies in his ruck work! As with Mel here's hoping he can have a year free from injury and stuff ups. One or two 'elites' may be hiding there which would be good.

That doesn’t surprise me. Ladhams has had some games with good numbers, and actually has good skills for a ruckman. Watch his hands in general play for example. It’s his brain and injuries that have hurt him.

Auntie.Gerald
10th February 2024, 05:15 PM
also sometimes our game plan likes years gone past was to tap down to a scramble and our mids matched up on the outside

especially if our Ruck was not dominant and or the centre mids just had too much break speed

old game plan vs West Coast in the Roos days

doesnt reflect well for the Rucks stats but locks the contest in

Nico
10th February 2024, 09:48 PM
also sometimes our game plan likes years gone past was to tap down to a scramble and our mids matched up on the outside

especially if our Ruck was not dominant and or the centre mids just had too much break speed

old game plan vs West Coast in the Roos days

doesnt reflect well for the Rucks stats but locks the contest in

The Roos ploy was to force a secondary ball up so more players could come into the square to contest the stoppage.

Auntie.Gerald
14th February 2024, 06:48 AM
Gallery: Training (Under one month to Opening Night) (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/albums/1488683/gallery-training-under-one-month-to-opening-night?modal=true&type=gallery&playlistId=1488683&playlistSize=10)

strangely only just noticed this update of training

Auntie.Gerald
14th February 2024, 06:51 AM
Loving see Greeny up front

The guy is a special and has a few years until serious option for ruck................ie only 18yrs old.....skinny and behind Grundy and Ladhams etc

But he could be an interesting Forward in the interim?

Either way honing his forward skills and ruck skills now is a scary future player for the Swans !!!

Auntie.Gerald
14th February 2024, 01:41 PM
Given we are technically in the pre season

Is it time to have Kennedy and Bud taken down from the banner on this website as the players that represent the current Swans?

Time to have a vote on two new players?

A vote?

should be interesting lol

Shall I dare to kick start two names?

Mills and Gulden ?

chalbilto
14th February 2024, 02:11 PM

Is it time to have Kennedy and Bud taken down from the banner on this website as the players that represent the current Swans?

A vote?

Mills and Gulden ?

Worthy selection.

Maltopia
14th February 2024, 03:53 PM

A vote?

Mills and Gulden ?

I recall suggesting a rotating banner with a few different players. This was some time ago, maybe even in 2022.

My recollection is that Danzar replied along the lines of m, if someone wanted to do the work to update the banner, they were welcome to do so (for his review). That is, I got the vibe that it wasn’t high on his list of priorities at that time.

If anyone is good at graphics, maybe they can mock up some banners for his consideration?

As for who should be on the banner, I nominate Rowie in honour of TheBloods :D.

Seriously though, he reminds me of Brett Kirk who was one of my favourite players, and his efforts do resonate with the Bloods’ culture.

He is also very recognisable as there are only a handful of players with the longer hair and headband.

I also think any of Mills, Heeney, Papley, Warner, Gulden and Blakey would be great (who says we can only have two players?).

stevoswan
15th February 2024, 09:56 PM

A vote?

Mills and Gulden ?

Yes, Mills and Gulden. Exactly what I thought as soon as I read 'time to have a vote on two new players'.

Current captain and future captain. Spot on.

neilfws
16th February 2024, 08:42 AM

Mills and Gulden ?

No argument from me!

I note also that the current banner uses the 1997-2020 logo; the current logo has the larger swan and no Opera House.

Logopedia - Sydney Swans (https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Sydney_Swans)

Thunder Shaker
16th February 2024, 09:13 AM

Why only two? Three players can fit comfortably on a banner and it's possible to squeeze in as many as five.

Maltopia
16th February 2024, 03:11 PM
And why only players from the men’s team?

Auntie.Gerald
20th February 2024, 06:07 AM
fair point Mal

Everyone pumped !!!!

I definitely can watch the replay on Kayo but super keen to get there this thurs !!!

Community Series match with the swans taking on Lions, Thursday, February 22 at Tramway Oval at 10am AEDT.The matchup will be open to the public and free of charge.

stevoswan
20th February 2024, 12:54 PM
No argument from me!

I note also that the current banner uses the 1997-2020 logo; the current logo has the larger swan and no Opera House.

Logopedia - Sydney Swans (https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Sydney_Swans)

But they've cleverly and cheekily snuck in a sort of Opera House outline on the back of the swans head on the new logo.:wink:

Dow
20th February 2024, 03:32 PM
fair point Mal

Everyone pumped !!!!

I definitely can watch the replay on Kayo but super keen to get there this thurs !!!

Community Series match with the swans taking on Lions, Thursday, February 22 at Tramway Oval at 10am AEDT.The matchup will be open to the public and free of charge.

Fully Pumped ! I will have to watch replay on KAYO as I wont get back to camp till after 6pm - its been a long wait

graemed
20th February 2024, 03:35 PM
Auntie I'm pretty certain that we're trialing against GWS on Thursday and Brisbane the following official practice match out at Blacktown

20th February 2024, 03:58 PM
Auntie I'm pretty certain that we're trialing against GWS on Thursday and Brisbane the following official practice match out at Blacktown
Any RWO'ers going to the trial game against GWS 10am this Thursday? Be interesting to see which fringe players get a solid work out and may be in the senior frame going forward. Also centre square combinations

Always need an honest appraisal by an RWO'er or two of what happens, rather than the normal media takes. I assume there will be a segue into a reserves hit out as well?

Auntie.Gerald
20th February 2024, 05:26 PM

ooops I dont know why the Lions were in my cut and paste for this Thursday

I think i cut and paste from Foxsports with out checking teams?

apologies

Dow
21st February 2024, 09:13 AM
ooops I dont know why the Lions were in my cut and paste for this Thursday

I think i cut and paste from Foxsports with out checking teams?

apologies

Hahah Easy done mate ! I honestly thought the same as well lol - like you I am caught up in the excitement of a new season

Blood Fever
21st February 2024, 04:02 PM
Just watched video of Mills captain speech at jumper presentation. Very poised and authentic.

giant
21st February 2024, 04:35 PM
Any RWO'ers going to the trial game against GWS 10am this Thursday? Be interesting to see which fringe players get a solid work out and may be in the senior frame going forward. Also centre square combinations

Always need an honest appraisal by an RWO'er or two of what happens, rather than the normal media takes. I assume there will be a segue into a reserves hit out as well?

Weather permitting I'll be there and happy to share thoughts. Fair warning though, I'm usually pretty hopeless at identifying the lesser lights of the squadron.

Dow
21st February 2024, 05:20 PM
Weather permitting I'll be there and happy to share thoughts. Fair warning though, I'm usually pretty hopeless at identifying the lesser lights of the squadron.

Would appreciate that if you could

dejavoodoo44
21st February 2024, 05:45 PM
This is the squad for tomorrow. Strangely, after it seemed that he was training the house down, Adams isn't named. No reason was given, so I don't know if he's picked up an injury, or some other reason?

1. Chad Warner, 2. Hayden McLean, 4. Brodie Grundy, 5. Isaac Heeney, 6. Logan McDonald, 7. Harry Cunningham, 8. James Rowbottom, 9. Will Hayward, 11. Tom Papley, 12. Angus Sheldrick, 13. Oliver Florent, 15. Sam Wicks, 16. Braeden Campbell, 17. James Jordon, 19. Peter Ladhams, 21. Errol Gulden, 22. Nick Blakey, 24. Dane Rampe, 26. Luke Parker, 27. Justin McInerney, 28. Will Edwards, 30. Tom McCartin, 34. Matt Roberts, 36. Joel Amartey, 42. Robbie Fox, 44. Jake Lloyd

Notable absentees: Taylor Adams, Sam Reid, Callum Mills, Joel Hamling, Aaron Francis, Lewis Melican.

It also makes me a touch nervous, that Hamling, Francis and Melican aren't named, as I was hoping for one of them to establish themselves as McCartin's defensive partner. Oh well, perhaps a chance for Edwards to stake a claim.

Still, it's a strong squad, and with GWS having more players out, we should pick up a win. Not that it really matters at this time of year.

Auntie.Gerald
21st February 2024, 06:18 PM
I blocked it out in the calendar but the house has come down with a cold after friends from Germany stayed with us the last week or so.

Man our family cant take a trick lately with colds and long covid19

enough complaining...............but seriously it has been 4 months of crap health post covid...........its nuts !

cant wait to see the updates from our forum :)

many thanks in advance

Good on Edwards
only outlier i suppose for a small list

i'm-uninformed2
21st February 2024, 06:41 PM
Edwards does intrigue me. From the bits I saw, he improved a lot last year - which is all you can ask for from someone who’s essentially a project player - albeit it with a way to go. He struck me as someone with reasonable closing speed, a taste for the contest, and making strides in reading the play. He’s also exactly what we need in the era of 200+cm tall forwards if he can make it.

But more regular ressie watchers than me, and those that can watch live (I’ve only seen one game in person) will have a better sense of precisely what he still needs to do to close the gap to being an AFL player.

Auntie.Gerald
21st February 2024, 06:55 PM
i suspect time developing the little skills from what i have seen

He is an athlete and he does appear seriously committed........ so he has two thirds of Roos loved...................he might be a slow burner just ticking over those intercept and tie down skills to the next level along with the exit rebounds which are so bloody critical

I mean a weak kick of the ball is a piranha festival by the opposition picking off cheap turnovers.

Maltopia
21st February 2024, 08:12 PM
This is the squad for tomorrow. Strangely, after it seemed that he was training the house down, Adams isn't named. No reason was given, so I don't know if he's picked up an injury, or some other reason?

1. Chad Warner, 2. Hayden McLean, 4. Brodie Grundy, 5. Isaac Heeney, 6. Logan McDonald, 7. Harry Cunningham, 8. James Rowbottom, 9. Will Hayward, 11. Tom Papley, 12. Angus Sheldrick, 13. Oliver Florent, 15. Sam Wicks, 16. Braeden Campbell, 17. James Jordon, 19. Peter Ladhams, 21. Errol Gulden, 22. Nick Blakey, 24. Dane Rampe, 26. Luke Parker, 27. Justin McInerney, 28. Will Edwards, 30. Tom McCartin, 34. Matt Roberts, 36. Joel Amartey, 42. Robbie Fox, 44. Jake Lloyd

Notable absentees: Taylor Adams, Sam Reid, Callum Mills, Joel Hamling, Aaron Francis, Lewis Melican.

It also makes me a touch nervous, that Hamling, Francis and Melican aren't named, as I was hoping for one of them to establish themselves as McCartin's defensive partner. Oh well, perhaps a chance for Edwards to stake a claim.

Still, it's a strong squad, and with GWS having more players out, we should pick up a win. Not that it really matters at this time of year.

Is it normal selection rules (23+ 3 emergencies) or does everyone get to play since it is a practice game?

liz
21st February 2024, 08:15 PM
Edwards delivered a very quick time for the 20m sprint at the State Combine in his draft year. It was under 3 seconds; it may have been under 2.9 seconds. That would be considered quick for any draftee testing, let alone a nearly 200cm "big lump of a lad".

Based on watching him last year, he still had some way to go in reading the play. It doesn't matter how good someone's closing speed is if their opponent anticipates the ball coming in better than the defender. It's impossible to stop some leads if they are well timed and the delivered forward, but he was probably below par in the proportion he was able to contest. When he did get to make a contest he was pretty good, though - as with any big, not-quite-fully-co-ordinated young backman - he was prone to give away frees here and there.

His disposal was mixed. I got the impression he's a sound enough kick but sometimes he'd muff them.

I'm intrigued and excited that he's been named in the side tomorrow ahead of more obvious candidates. He's not someone we've heard coaches or team mates gushing about during the pre-season. Maybe they were keeping his progress hush-hush.

Edit: I've found his Rookie Me Central profile. His 20m sprint time was under 2.9 seconds.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/will-edwards/

chalbilto
21st February 2024, 09:59 PM
Looking forward to seeing how Sheldrick and Jordon go and I hope Warner gets his blond tips back as they made him easy to spot.

Scottee
21st February 2024, 10:18 PM
Edwards delivered a very quick time for the 20m sprint at the State Combine in his draft year. It was under 3 seconds; it may have been under 2.9 seconds. That would be considered quick for any draftee testing, let alone a nearly 200cm "big lump of a lad".

Based on watching him last year, he still had some way to go in reading the play. It doesn't matter how good someone's closing speed is if their opponent anticipates the ball coming in better than the defender. It's impossible to stop some leads if they are well timed and the delivered forward, but he was probably below par in the proportion he was able to contest. When he did get to make a contest he was pretty good, though - as with any big, not-quite-fully-co-ordinated young backman - he was prone to give away frees here and there.

His disposal was mixed. I got the impression he's a sound enough kick but sometimes he'd muff them.

I'm intrigued and excited that he's been named in the side tomorrow ahead of more obvious candidates. He's not someone we've heard coaches or team mates gushing about during the pre-season. Maybe they were keeping his progress hush-hush.

Edit: I've found his Rookie Me Central profile. His 20m sprint time was under 2.9 seconds.

Will Edwards Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central) (https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/will-edwards/) Interesting post Liz.
It's very intriguing that he is playing whilst the four other KP backs are not.

I must admit to having been somewhat excited at the prospect of him developing into a senior player and seeing him get a game is a pleasant surprise.

Last year he had plenty of experience defending given that the team was being belted nearly every week. His opponent was often getting good delivery and it would have taught him a lot.

His main problem, as you say Liz, has been reading the play. He also had some trouble with his decision making when moving the ball out of defence.

I have a sneaking feeling he would love to play forward and use his speed, marking power, and long kicking to kick goals.

It should be interesting to see how he goes.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Scottee
21st February 2024, 10:31 PM
I have found that , due to the good recruiting and the development of the young players, trying to pick the best 23 is now a real headache.It seems that thoroughly deserving players are going to miss out on games given the list now runs as deep as the Mariana trench.

So I thought that with a number of players being rested, it would be easier to pick the side. Nope. Still there are really good players not making the cut.

It's a very good problem to have, but I hope it doesn't lead to any disillusionment amongst the up and comers.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

22nd February 2024, 12:33 AM
Edwards selected in front of reserves gamers Melican and Hamling is indeed intriguing.

Reports from last year suggested Edwards was quite raw, so he's either had a really impressive but unreported pre season, or there's time management of Melican and Hamling hence those guys in the ressies practice game.

Looking forward to reports from the game.

Maltopia
22nd February 2024, 01:55 AM
2024 Guernsey Presentation - John Longmire Coach's address

2024 Guernsey Presentation - John Longmire Coaches' Address - YouTube (https://youtu.be/Aiusesqw9Zg?si=2kMLy9LYcfortV9S)

Great speech!

rickmat
22nd February 2024, 09:13 AM
There will be a VFL practise match after the main game. Will be interesting who plays well in that game to put pressure on the main squad

dejavoodoo44
22nd February 2024, 09:20 AM
By the way, these players have been named as our VFL squad for the season.

Toby Alker, Benjamin Ashley-Cooper, Jake Bartholomaeus, Hugo Birks, Lachlan Cabor,
Ben Edwards, Jordan Endemann, Tye Gander,
Max Geddes, Koby Grass, William Kelly, Byron Laws, Tom Longmire, Phill Moi Moi, Harry Morrison, Hamish Morrison, Josh Nicholls
Bili Robertson, Pierce Roseby, Nic Shipley,
Monty Velthuis.

Seems quite a lot of players, so I imagine some will get very little game time and perhaps drop out of the system, while other prospects might get a game, if they show strong form in the Talent League or the SFL.

Cabor is the only player from the most recent academy cohort, while Alker, Endemann, Gander, Geddes, Longmire, Hamish Morrison, Nicholls, Robertson and Roseby have all been involved with our academy. And William Kelly is the former Collingwood player and son of Craig Kelly.

wolftone57
22nd February 2024, 09:49 AM
It is almost 6am here in Laos. I am going to watch the Practice Match. Why do they have to come up with American @@@@e to put a name on our PRACTICE MATCHES. They have been PRACTICEW MATCHES for over 100 years why change the name to an Americanism?

Blood Fever
22nd February 2024, 10:32 AM
It is almost 6am here in Laos. I am going to watch the Practice Match. Why do they have to come up with American @@@@e to put a name on our PRACTICE MATCHES. They have been PRACTICEW MATCHES for over 100 years why change the name to an Americanism?

Because we have been seemingly hypnotised by the USA to follow blindly and bow down to their every request.

Auntie.Gerald
22nd February 2024, 10:56 AM
Not many players off the pace despite a bit scrappy which is expected first trial

Maybe only Roberts unfortunately that has stood oat not handling the decision making, anticipation and cleanness expected in the AFL

i'm-uninformed2
22nd February 2024, 11:27 AM
Isaac moves like a cat when he's fit and firing. He's so balanced, clean and helps immensely with my personal bug bear - that kick forward of centre. A big off season has helped him greatly (touch wood).

wolftone57
22nd February 2024, 12:15 PM
A few take aways

1. Brodie Grundy is still the equal of Max Gawn. He is incredible. Briggs is a very good ruck.
2. We are keeping the ball lower, even the high kicks are flatter & give the forwards a better chance. Unfortunately, some of the forward entries were untidy & were not to our advantage.
3. Jordan will play both inside & on a wing same as Gulden. He has been very good
4. In the second quarter we had all the momentum. Then we decided to slow the game down and that let them back in. Slowing the game down allowed them to get loose players ahead of the play as our players were flat footed. I would lose the slow down, it is not effective and is a negative tactic.
5. Interesting to see Heeney & Papley spending more minutes in the middle, Heeney even on a wing & HB running forward at times.
6. Matt Roberts looks very comfortable back.
7. Who needs you know who?
8. It looks like they are preferring Edwards to Hamling. Gave away a free almost immediately he came on lol.
9. loose kicking, Parker several times terrible disposal, kicks & handball, that turned the ball over & leaked goals.
10. GWS defence is very good. They are very organised. Our defence looked a little loose at times & allowed the ball over the back. I don't think that is going to happen so much in games. If they are not going to impact the contest positively don't go up. knocking the ball into the goal square is not a positive.
11. we are doing what we should do against this GWS side, they are down on a lot of experience today. I am glad we are actually doing it & not being played close. That would worry me.
12. Our midfield is going to look interesting this year. Grundy & Jordan have started very well. Jordan playing a mix of mids & wing. A lot of rotating through the mids. I like that. It means the mids don't get tired & we can have far more strength for a whole game.

Maltopia
22nd February 2024, 02:37 PM
How were we with Almartey, Logan and McLean plus Grundy/Ladhams all on the ground at the same time?

Seemed very tall up front on paper.

Auntie.Gerald
22nd February 2024, 02:39 PM
1. Florent was one of the best on field

2. Campbell first half was very dangerous with some lovely angled kicking from both wings were he and a hungry to work hard JJ both had impact

3. Chad was at the top his game and some of his long kicks were sensational

4. McInerney was more off the HBF rotation as well as wing a little like last year

5. Gulden only played second half and was ok only vs his standards

6. Robert’s as mentioned fid ok in the backline but took half a game to start really reacting to the speed of the game. Made mistakes and broke links in the chain with slow movement first half. Looks much fitter and leaner. Atleast his mindset and actions looked better second half but no obvious spot to put him in the best 23

7. Gus didn’t appear to play

8. Grundy was strong and really helps our drive out of the contest as another midfielder when on the deck etc

9. McDonald was the standout of McLean and JAmartey.

10. Heeney played much more in the middle and did well. First half Parker played more upfront and some mid.

11. Tom Mac looked strong and lizard and Rampes both played well.

12. Edwards struggles to position himself well and not real clean with the footy and or body shape / angles around the ball for safe exits.

13. Paps, Lloyd, Cunningham, Rowbottom, Hayward etc all did their normal solid efforts as expected didn’t miss a beat

14. Wicks and Foxy a little clunky but Fox was moved around a lot

15. I did t see last 15mins of the last qtr and no Ladhams by that stage from memory

liz
22nd February 2024, 02:42 PM
How were we with Almartey, Logan and McLean plus Grundy/Ladhams all on the ground at the same time?

Seemed very tall up front on paper.

Not nearly as tall as the VFL side. I only stayed for the first five or so minutes of the VFL game (very very hot and the VFL couldn’t be bothered to pay for any goal umpires) but Ladhams, McAndrew, Green, Reid, Buller, Melican, Monty V and Hamling (I think) should have been collectively playing for the giants. Didn’t see Green do much but he moves oh-so smoothly for such a young ganglyster.