PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat Round 1 1/2: the other games.

dejavoodoo44
14th March 2024, 07:25 PM
Not sure if there's too many games to get excited about this round. Maybe the Saturday game between the Suns and the Crows will be the best of them? Possibly the Demons v the Bulldogs, or the Dockers hosting the Lions?

I suspect tonight's game will be a bit one-sided, but who knows, maybe first half Carlton will show up, rather than second half?

MattW
14th March 2024, 07:34 PM
Not sure if there's too many games to get excited about this round. Maybe the Saturday game between the Suns and the Crows will be the best of them? Possibly the Demons v the Bulldogs, or the Dockers hosting the Lions?

I suspect tonight's game will be a bit one-sided, but who knows, maybe first half Carlton will show up, rather than second half?

Decent ins for Richmond.

dejavoodoo44
14th March 2024, 07:52 PM
Decent ins for Richmond.
Yes, but I suspect that Richmond are on a downward slide, while I suspect that Carlton are flagrantly rorting the salary cap.

But hey, the umpires seem keen to give Tom Lynch shots at goal.

mcs
14th March 2024, 08:23 PM
I'm sure the brown visy bags are getting a workout again......may that club never win a thing again!

dejavoodoo44
14th March 2024, 08:40 PM
I'm sure the brown visy bags are getting a workout again......may that club never win a thing again!

And I'm sure that we'll soon get some AFL media guff, along the lines of: oh no, Carlton have actually got plenty of salary cap space, due to all their star players being paid unders, because they really love the cafes on Lygon Street. Or some such crap. Similar crap to how the Geelong players were never getting as much as people thought, because of their love of country air or whatever.

Sandridge
14th March 2024, 09:23 PM
Tigers in huge injury trouble but holding a small lead half way through the first quarter.

They deserve to win - but probably won't be able to hang on.

dejavoodoo44
14th March 2024, 09:36 PM
I was just about to type that the upset is looking good and then Mansell whacked it into the post from 5 metres out.

dejavoodoo44
14th March 2024, 09:51 PM
I suspect that the Richmond fans are currently a touch unhappy with the umpiring.

Sandridge
14th March 2024, 09:54 PM
I suspect that the Richmond fans are currently a touch unhappy with the umpiring.

23 - 13 Carlton's way so far.

They won the count 20 -16 last week.

They're not going to be this year's Bulldogs, are they?

Thunder Shaker
14th March 2024, 10:21 PM
Carlton win by 5 points. A shame Richmond couldn't get up with several scoring opportunities late and not getting anything from them.

Carlton' last 6 wins have been by 5 points, 1 point, 2 points, 6 points (against Sydney in a final, boo), 4 points and 4 points. They also had 2 losses in that time, by 16 and 32 points.

Barracking for whoever is playing against Carlton is not working very well lately.

The Big Cat
14th March 2024, 10:24 PM
I hope I live long enough to see a free paid against Cripps!

dejavoodoo44
14th March 2024, 10:29 PM
I hope I live long enough to see a free paid against Cripps!

He does seem to have perfected the mystifying art of the one handed handball.

KTigers
16th March 2024, 07:21 AM
And I'm sure that we'll soon get some AFL media guff, along the lines of: oh no, Carlton have actually got plenty of salary cap space, due to all their star players being paid unders, because they really love the cafes on Lygon Street. Or some such crap. Similar crap to how the Geelong players were never getting as much as people thought, because of their love of country air or whatever.

I've always found it interesting that it is widely understood that every club in the NRL is rorting the salary cap, yet somehow magically all the
AFL clubs are as pure as driven snow. All of them.

i'm-uninformed2
16th March 2024, 06:27 PM
Watching the Giants v Norf game. It looks like there’s about ten people there. GWS keep touting increased membership but they must just be giveaways. The crowd is truly embarrassing.

As for the ex Swans - Toby Pink keeps at it, but is having the moments you’d expect from a first game player in defence in a weak side. I think I saw Dylan Stephens run through the screen at some point but otherwise, the poor man’s woes continue.

KTigers
16th March 2024, 08:29 PM
Watching the Giants v Norf game. It looks like there’s about ten people there. GWS keep touting increased membership but they must just be giveaways. The crowd is truly embarrassing.

As for the ex Swans - Toby Pink keeps at it, but is having the moments you’d expect from a first game player in defence in a weak side. I think I saw Dylan Stephens run through the screen at some point but otherwise, the poor man’s woes continue.

We went to the game. It looked like around 9,000-10,000 to us. Probably about 10% of them were North fans based on what they
were wearing. Jesse Hogan has to be one of the best pick ups by any team in recent years. Another six goals tonight. He can play.

aardvark
16th March 2024, 11:18 PM

Dylan needs to find a non contact sport to play. I'm guessing Clarkson won't put up with him for long.

Nico
16th March 2024, 11:59 PM
Watched the Cats/Saints game. I know it was the first round but it was pretty pedestrian.

KTigers
17th March 2024, 04:23 AM
Dylan needs to find a non contact sport to play. I'm guessing Clarkson won't put up with him for long.

I didn't notice Stephens there. I did see Clarko and he wasn't moving well. Perhaps he is coaching injured, all those foot
in mouth injuries have finally caught up with him.

crackedactor 01
17th March 2024, 06:11 AM
Watched the Cats/Saints game. I know it was the first round but it was pretty pedestrian.

I also watched most of the game and I thought the standard was very average as it was played in perfect conditions. I automatically thought how could either of these sides match the Swans?? But it was the first round.

Nico
17th March 2024, 04:56 PM
Nice to see Melbourne gave the Dogs a nice old towelling.

i'm-uninformed2
17th March 2024, 05:46 PM

If you wanna finish your weekend with a smile, wander over to the dogs bigfooty page

dejavoodoo44
17th March 2024, 06:05 PM
If you wanna finish your weekend with a smile, wander over to the dogs bigfooty page
Strangely, I was just thinking of doing that. Are they continuing on the general theme of late last season and calling for Beveridge to be sacked? Personally, I suspect he'll be the first to go.

Sandridge
17th March 2024, 06:07 PM

Highly enjoyable, wasn't it!

dejavoodoo44
17th March 2024, 06:26 PM
I actually find these moves quite reminiscent of the Daicos brothers, when they were being tackled on Friday night.

💥💥💥💥💥 #アバンギャルディ #avantgardey - YouTube (https://youtube.com/shorts/g3qO84f0SK4?si=ZC5BjQpjcJu_4Vbm)

Thunder Shaker
17th March 2024, 06:53 PM
It's a shame that the Demons couldn't manage one more point against the Dogs, or the Eagles lose by one point fewer. If that had happened, then the Pup Throwers would be on the bottom after round 1.

barry
17th March 2024, 08:06 PM
Much as I love the grand old lady, anz stadium, the precinct around could do a lot better for big events. Giants v north at late afternoon. Then pink in the evening. Parking sold out by pink supporters. Event buses only running for pink timeframe, kind of kills it for AFL fans.
Even some basic stuff like a few event buses at 3pm, or safe storage sheds for pushbikes. Or heaven forbid, a train station that's used by more than one line.

dejavoodoo44
17th March 2024, 08:36 PM
Starting to look like last year's grand finalists will be collectively 0-4 at the end of the round. Possibly not a huge concern for them at this stage, but it should ensure that their match in two weeks time will be something of a cage fight.

KTigers
17th March 2024, 09:04 PM
Much as I love the grand old lady, anz stadium, the precinct around could do a lot better for big events. Giants v north at late afternoon. Then pink in the evening. Parking sold out by pink supporters. Event buses only running for pink timeframe, kind of kills it for AFL fans.
Even some basic stuff like a few event buses at 3pm, or safe storage sheds for pushbikes. Or heaven forbid, a train station that's used by more than one line.

There was plenty of parking in P3 Barry. It wasn't sold out. It was a 4:35 game, the Pink concert was on at night.
Don't the special buses they have at the SCG only go to Central. There is a train station at Olympic Park. Who goes to
the footy on a pushbike? Not really sure GWS v North is what is considered a major event like 60,000 people watching
another grand old lady, Pink. I think you need to embrace the new name Accor too. Mega French hotel chain conglomerates
have done so much for sport, we should all get behind them.

KTigers
17th March 2024, 09:11 PM
Starting to look like last year's grand finalists will be collectively 0-4 at the end of the round. Possibly not a huge concern for them at this stage, but it should ensure that their match in two weeks time will be something of a cage fight.

In this weeks Footy Record, 10 of the 12 "experts" tipped the Lions to win the flag (we got one vote and so did the Magpies).
We got one vote as the likely runner up, and GWS and Carlton got 4 runner-up votes each.

dejavoodoo44
17th March 2024, 09:45 PM
In this weeks Footy Record, 10 of the 12 "experts" tipped the Lions to win the flag (we got one vote and so did the Magpies).
We got one vote as the likely runner up, and GWS and Carlton got 4 runner-up votes each.

The lowest position I've seen tipped for us was by journalist, Jonathan Horn, who reckoned we'd finish 13th. I think he's also a Collingwood supporter, so I suspect a few people might be reminding him of that prediction, in the comments section of his regular Monday column.

Maltopia
17th March 2024, 09:49 PM
It’s great to be 2-0, and for Collingwood and Pies to be 0-2.

But it is a long season and a lot can change.

We have been 2-0 (though not always against top 4 teams from previous years) after two rounds in the three previous years as well, and we didn’t go deep in the finals for two of them.

stevoswan
17th March 2024, 11:44 PM

As much as I admire your love for the 'grand old lady' Barry, surely she's not a 'grand old lady'....opened in March 1999, she's barely 25 years old. :tongue: :)

barry
17th March 2024, 11:58 PM
There was plenty of parking in P3 Barry. It wasn't sold out. It was a 4:35 game, the Pink concert was on at night.
Don't the special buses they have at the SCG only go to Central. There is a train station at Olympic Park. Who goes to
the footy on a pushbike? Not really sure GWS v North is what is considered a major event like 60,000 people watching
another grand old lady, Pink. I think you need to embrace the new name Accor too. Mega French hotel chain conglomerates
have done so much for sport, we should all get behind them.
It's not an event on its own, but it's caught up with the other event, so gets all the bad and none of the good.

I have a secret parking spot so don't worry about me. But all week they were telling AFL fans parking was sold out.

The location lets itself down to often on logistics

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I admire your love for the 'grand old lady' Barry, surely she's not a 'grand old lady'....opened in March 1999, she's barely 25 years old. :tongue: :)

In some cultures that's spinster age.

stevoswan
18th March 2024, 12:08 AM
In some cultures that's spinster age.

:wink:

i'm-uninformed2
18th March 2024, 08:52 AM

And one of them will be in deep doo doo soon. They play each other in round 3. Whoever loses that game will be chasing their tail all season.