PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat Round 8: the other games.

dejavoodoo44
2nd May 2024, 07:15 PM
Since Port are more of a threat to our ladder position, I feel like I should be going for Adelaide tonight, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that I could be giving myself a long night. I mean, watching them trying to move forward in earlier games was just painful. Hopefully they've improved when I haven't been paying attention.

It's also a bit tough to pick a preference for tomorrow night's game between Carlton and Collingwood. On one hand, I'd quite like Collingwood to miss the finals, but on the other hand, for some reason, I resented Carlton making the finals last year, more than I did with Collingwood winning the premiership.

There's also a couple of games later in the round that I'm keen to have a look at: Melbourne v Geelong and Gold Coast v Brisbane.

dejavoodoo44
2nd May 2024, 10:12 PM
Looks like the upset is on. It's actually Port who've been pretty woeful moving the ball. They've largely been fumbling around, before bombing it long to the disadvantage of their forwards.

i'm-uninformed2
2nd May 2024, 10:57 PM
How should I say this carefully given how much I regard him as the most competitive bastard I’ve ever seen and comparing anyone to him is complete sacrilege: for pure full speed, no compromise, “I wanna win”, singularly focused into and out of contests, Butters reminds me a ‘little bit’ of Paul Kelly.

MattW
2nd May 2024, 11:06 PM
Port are cooked for 2024.

dejavoodoo44
2nd May 2024, 11:25 PM
How should I say this carefully given how much I regard him as the most competitive bastard I’ve ever seen and comparing anyone to him is complete sacrilege: for pure full speed, no compromise, “I wanna win”, singularly focused into and out of contests, Butters reminds me a ‘little bit’ of Paul Kelly.

My thought crime for the night, was wondering if there could be a name change, when Izak Rankine snapped a lovely goal from The Eddie Betts Pocket. But then I did a quick bit of research, and it seems that it hasn't actually been officially named The Eddie Pocket: which seems the real crime. Especially when there's officially a Ricciuto Stand.

Sandridge
3rd May 2024, 08:01 AM
Looks like the upset is on. It's actually Port who've been pretty woeful moving the ball. They've largely been fumbling around, before bombing it long to the disadvantage of their forwards.

Port were awful!

As much as I despise both teams, really looking forward to tonight's Pies/Blues game. Should be a great game to watch!

RogueSwan
3rd May 2024, 09:14 AM
Port were awful!

As much as I despise both teams, really looking forward to tonight's Pies/Blues game. Should be a great game to watch!

Another draw would be nice :clap:

stevoswan
3rd May 2024, 07:04 PM

Agree....with a choc full 'G.

Sandridge
3rd May 2024, 10:47 PM
Carlton have got away with throws and dodgy disposals that the Fairypups would be too embarrassed to claim! 😮

i'm-uninformed2
3rd May 2024, 10:50 PM
It’s close but an otherwise dreadful game. Really ugly, overly defensive footy from both till three quarter time.

stevoswan
3rd May 2024, 11:08 PM
The draw is still a possibility. Come on!

mcs
3rd May 2024, 11:29 PM
Carlton, despite obvious progress, still have a soft underbelly. Don't apply the level of pressure they need to, and the 'blue sea' parted for that winning goal at the end.

Not a bad result for us however - though a draw would arguably have been better.

giant
4th May 2024, 12:21 PM
Carlton, despite obvious progress, still have a soft underbelly. Don't apply the level of pressure they need to, and the 'blue sea' parted for that winning goal at the end.

Not a bad result for us however - though a draw would arguably have been better.

Spot on - I was away for their triumphal march thru September last year, but what I've seen the last two weeks is very much the Blues of old: fabulous personnel with some great individual performances, but a lack of the process, leadership and ticker that separates the great teams.

BTW I think Vossy would agree with me given his comments after the Cats game.

Mel_C
4th May 2024, 01:30 PM
Last night a Collingwood talkback caller bemoaned that all we hear about is Harley Reid this and Harley Reid that. He said we need to be talking more about Nick Daicos 😂.

Thunder Shaker
4th May 2024, 09:06 PM
Port were awful!
I hope Port are just as awful when we play them late in the season. Sydney's the only team that has not beaten Port Adelaide in the last 7 years and that's embarrassing.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm hoping that Melbourne beats Geelong. Any margin will do. The Cats need to lose so Sydney can take their place at the top of the ladder.

mcs
4th May 2024, 09:12 PM
Was embarrassing the whole Daicos Snr dribbling on live TV last night after the game.

No doubting his talent, but give me silky Errol any day.

Mel_C
4th May 2024, 09:53 PM
I'm at the Melbourne v Geelong game wearing my Swans scarf. I've seen 4 other Swans supporters at the game. We are out and about tonight 🙂.

The goal kicking accuracy in this game is terrible. Not one goal was scored in the second quarter. Channel 7 won't be too happy!

The skills from Geelong have been average.

dejavoodoo44
4th May 2024, 10:45 PM
I'm at the Melbourne v Geelong game wearing my Swans scarf. I've seen 4 other Swans supporters at the game. We are out and about tonight 🙂.

The goal kicking accuracy in this game is terrible. Not one goal was scored in the second quarter. Channel 7 won't be too happy!

The skills from Geelong have been average.

Cheering the Demons on, so we can get to top spot?

stevoswan
4th May 2024, 11:04 PM
We will end the round on top! Thanks Dees.

Thunder Shaker
4th May 2024, 11:07 PM
West Coast are only down by nine points against Essendon late in the third quarter. The Eagles have improved quite a bit in the last month.

stevoswan
4th May 2024, 11:13 PM
West Coast are only down by nine points against Essendon late in the third quarter. The Eagles have improved quite a bit in the last month.

That would top the day off nicely, seeing the 'Edgendon' getting beaten!

Hotpotato
4th May 2024, 11:30 PM
Bailey Fritchs goal of the year saw the Cats go down , v long odds to do that (although I guess they practice it heaps).

Thunder Shaker
5th May 2024, 07:03 PM
Sydney will end the round on top of the ladder. It's amazing how many so-called experts are still not taking the Swans seriously while being effusive over Geelong.

Sydney's wins, top 3 teams by ladder position: GWS Giants (3), Melbourne (4), Essendon (5). Percentage 147.0.
Geelong's wins, top 3 teams by ladder position: Carlton (8), Bulldogs (11 - game in progress), Adelaide (12). Percentage 129.5.

longmile
5th May 2024, 07:46 PM
Bulldogs lose to Hawks.

The Beveridge pressure mounts. Would love to see the back of him

i'm-uninformed2
5th May 2024, 07:49 PM
See ya Bevo. It’ll be wonderful to watch them tear themselves apart from here

dejavoodoo44
5th May 2024, 07:52 PM

Time to head to the Bulldogs bigfooty page. It's bound to be a happy and joyous place, full of admiration for dear leader Bevo.

longmile
5th May 2024, 07:56 PM
Wonder when they'll realise they didnt deserve 2016. I don't know what was more crook - our GF, or the Giants prelim

5th May 2024, 07:57 PM
Time to head to the Bulldogs bigfooty page. It's bound to be a happy and joyous place, full of admiration for dear leader Bevo.

Always great to see the Dogs get beaten. I'll never get over the 2016 gift from the AFL. Suffer down the ladder Dogs and I hope you unravel at seasons end!

Sandridge
5th May 2024, 08:14 PM

Yes, we'll sit back and enjoy!!

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder when they'll realise they didnt deserve 2016. I don't know what was more crook - our GF, or the Giants prelim

Both Sydney teams were totally screwed!

- - - Updated - - -

Always great to see the Dogs get beaten. I'll never get over the 2016 gift from the AFL. Suffer down the ladder Dogs and I hope you unravel at seasons end!

I am with you 100%!

dejavoodoo44
5th May 2024, 08:15 PM

Their autopsy thread is kicking off nicely.

dejavoodoo44
5th May 2024, 09:08 PM
Lions thrashing the Suns 47-13 about 5 minutes into the second quarter, but it might be a big achievement if they can win from here. They lost Starcevich in the warm up, which brought in a debutant, Morris, as the sub. Unfortunately he already played a full VFL game this afternoon. Then they lost McCarthy a few minutes into the first with a knee injury. Later in the quarter, Answerth was lost to concussion, courtesy of a Jed Walter knee to the head in a marking contest. Now they appear to have also just lost Gardiner to another knee injury.

So, tough to cope with those injuries, but the Suns are playing terribly.

dejavoodoo44
5th May 2024, 09:24 PM
Suns pressure level has been woeful. As evidenced by the 88-28 mark tally in favour of the Lions.

stevoswan
5th May 2024, 09:56 PM
Bulldogs lose to Hawks.

The Beveridge pressure mounts. Would love to see the back of him

Beveridge.....will go down as the worst premiership coach ever....and didn't even deserve that premiership.

- - - Updated - - -

Both were against NSW teams.....both were crooked as Roger Rogerson.

Thunder Shaker
5th May 2024, 10:29 PM
Lions can't get a goal. 11 behinds in a row. Last week they scored 4 goals 13. Seven and a bit quarters, they've scored 12 goals 31 behinds.

Suns have got a few goals but three since half time is nowhere near enough.

Hotpotato
5th May 2024, 10:48 PM
Beveridge.....will go down as the worst premiership coach ever....and didn't even deserve that premiership.

- - - Updated - - -

Both were against NSW teams.....both were crooked as Roger Rogerson.

Geez
Thats giving Rogerson a leg up.

Thunder Shaker
5th May 2024, 11:55 PM
This week's fixture: 1st vs 4th, 2nd vs 3rd.

Next week's fixture: 1st vs 6th, 2nd vs 7th, 3rd vs 5th, 4th vs 8th.

It's almost as if the AFL have turned the season into a Swiss tournament.

barry
6th May 2024, 02:34 AM
What a great round. 3 debies, a couple of Vic blockbusters, an upset or two. Even WC were competitive.

Kafka's Ghost
6th May 2024, 05:21 AM
Never thought I’d be so pleased to see the Hawks win, and my footy tips (work comp) go to pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kafka's Ghost
6th May 2024, 05:24 AM

They realised it in the bus to the airport after the match. One of their supporters apologised to me and admitted they’d been gifted the match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6th May 2024, 08:01 AM
Great round this coming week. In a rare event, the top 8 all play each other so there's four current top 8 sides that will lose. The bottom ten all play each other so five sides will make progress against tyhe current top 8 incumbents.

The AFL like this :-)

Brisbane, much decimated, take on the Cows in Adelaide so a likely loss could put them out of finals contention and unfortunately reignite the Cows season.

Mountain Man
6th May 2024, 08:31 AM
Pleasing that the 2 "master coaches" rack up 2 losses again

Nasty of me, but nice

stevoswan
6th May 2024, 01:00 PM
Geez
Thats giving Rogerson a leg up.

:rofl Yeah, I was struggling to come up with a good 'crooked' analogy.....I really should have done better.

stevoswan
6th May 2024, 01:03 PM
Never thought I’d be so pleased to see the Hawks win

Oh how we laughed :rofl