View Full Version : Leaping Leo to return

SWANSBEST
13th March 2003, 03:27 PM
[http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=78692

'Leaping Leo' to return
12:10:50 PM Thu 13 March, 2003
Karen Collins
afl.com.au

After a 2002 that was memorable for all the wrong reasons, Leo Barry hopes to put some of it behind him and show his ability in an important year for Sydney.

A life-threatening lacerated spleen against Adelaide in round three left him on the sidelines for nine matches, before showing some good form in the second half of the year.

His body felt the effects of a hard season so the coaches gave him more time to recover and get ready, and he will make his return on Saturday against Richmond.

?I?ve had a modified programme after pulling up a bit sore last year, it was designed for me to come back with a couple games before the start of the season, Barry said.

?I will probably be a bit under-done but hopefully I?ll run into some form after I play a few games.?

Although frustrated not to have played so far this year, the defender was keen to look on the bright side.

?It gives these young guys a bit of an opportunity to have a run and I think their development is a positive for the footy club.?

Paul Roos is excited to see an important part of the sides defence return.

?We are looking forward to the return of Leo this weekend as he will further strengthen and add more experience to our backline, Roos said.

?He will, of course, join Jason Ball and Nick Davis in gaining valuable game time prior to the start of the season, after Jason and Nick both made impressive returns last week against Melbourne.?

The 25-year old could have made an earlier return had it not been for a rehab ?hiccup? which will now see him play next week in the reserves for extra match fitness.

?I had a hiccup with a bit of a sore groin so realistically they really wanted me to play last week as the first game,? Barry said.

?I did sort of the same thing last year and came up in the season ok so I am probably one game under-done before the first round, but it?s a pretty long season so I have no doubt I will get my fitness up.?

His aims for the year are simple - to get through the full season after injures in the last couple of years.

?Also being in the leadership group this year?hopefully just improve in the way I play, and as a defensive group gain a lot more respect off other opposition teams.?