PDA

View Full Version : Where to sit at the SCG?

CureTheSane
6th May 2004, 09:20 AM
Believe it or not, I have never been to the SCG for a footy game.
I was suppose to be there so many times, but two poorly timed child births, overseas holidays and broken limbs have stuffed up my plans every time.
I've been to Homebush a few times, but am looking forward to the SCG crowd.

I will be up to see the Tigers game with my two kids, so where is the best gate to enter through?
Preferably not somewhere too packed.
Thanls :)

Bart
6th May 2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Believe it or not, I have never been to the SCG for a footy game.
I was suppose to be there so many times, but two poorly timed child births, overseas holidays and broken limbs have stuffed up my plans every time.
I've been to Homebush a few times, but am looking forward to the SCG crowd.

I will be up to see the Tigers game with my two kids, so where is the best gate to enter through?
Preferably not somewhere too packed.
Thanls :)

CTS. Amazing. Should be a huge buzz for you and the kids.

What I suggest is (if you are buying GA tickets or have entry as part of your Melbourne membership) is to enter the public gate at Driver Avenue. If you'd rather not sit behind the goals, simply wander around to the O'Reilly side of the ground and sit on the concourse on the wing. These seats are mainly resevred for members and are more expensive, bit are never policed and I feel Mother's Day will mean a lot of no shows.

Only issue is you're facing into the sun, bring hat shades and sunnies. Otherwise you could try and get a seat on to opposite wing, Brewonlgle concourse. This tends to be a bit more crowded, but is near the players race and is shaded.

The forecast is for showers, so you could sneak up to the Bradman stand. IIRC this is also not policed once the match starts.

CureTheSane
6th May 2004, 10:25 AM
Cool, thanks.
The kids always like to sit behind the goals.
You know at that age the only part of the game that bears any bit of importance is kicking goals :D

I was pissed to have to miss the game where Plugger broke the record :(, that one really hurt, but finally I get to go.

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to this :)

The Boot
6th May 2004, 10:31 AM
Yeah, this is like our version of going to Vic Park if you're a Pies fan, or Princes Park for Blues fans (ok, i'm using the original names for romantic effect). Though the sydney crowd isn't quite as feral .. you're well and truly among your own.

Should be a great day. Praying for dry paddock.
:)

j s
6th May 2004, 10:36 AM
I'm sure Cathy would be happy for you to sit with the cheer squad right behind the goals. Just be prepared to make lots of noise and wave flags.

Failing that the goals at the other end are in the Members reserve (where Kenny and his harem sit) but there's usually a bunch of people standing at the fence there making vision difficult. If you're not a full member you'll need the assistance of one to get into that area.

floppinab
6th May 2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by j s

Failing that the goals at the other end are in the Members reserve (where Kenny and his harem sit) but there's usually a bunch of people standing at the fence there making vision difficult. If you're not a full member you'll need the assistance of one to get into that area.

Again not sure if what you're Melb. membership gets you CTS but if you have to buy tickets let me or someone else who sits in the Members Reserve know as we can buy you tickets that get you into this area. Note only other Swans members can get these for you.

Old Royboy
6th May 2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by j s

Recken the members reserve guest pass is the way for you to go.

Kids can sit with Kenny and his mob behind the goals.
Noble stand behind the goals, (but shelter and elevation) is IMO best seat in the house. Also, shortest bar and food queues in the SCG. People with real problems can even watch from the bar! Aftermatch is also in Noble stand.

Like floppinab I can help too. Not sure of cost, but I don't think it is much different to GA.

JF_Bay22_SCG
6th May 2004, 01:54 PM
Cool, thanks.
The kids always like to sit behind the goals.
You know at that age the only part of the game that bears any bit of importance is kicking goals :D
You have no idea how much I am looking forward to this :)

Mate, if it would make your trip any better, I'd gladly like to invite you and your little uns to come and sit with us behind the goals in the Cheer Squad area. It is right where you enter the ground, and all you need is a GA ticket. Flags and patties can be given out to your kids as well, as they are there to be used.

And as a further enticement (if you wear black trousers) I can see what I can do to get you on the banner with us, as the Swans run out onto the ground. (Can't guarantee the same for the kids though, due to the rules that be.)

Let me know what you say mate, so that I can call Aunty Cath. :D

JF

CureTheSane
6th May 2004, 05:10 PM
Thanks JF, I will most likely sit with the cheer squad.
The kids will enjoy that.

I appreciate the ground offer, but it would be a bit of a pain with the kids.
Last year they were asking people with black trousers on at Colonial to run out with the banner (they were short of people) and low and behold I happened to be wearing black pants.

Only thing was I had a damn walking stick at the time :(

As for the Vic Park likening, well I remember some wild times standing in the outer at Vic Park, back when the only win a Swan had was in a raffle.
One time I remember 5 coppers standing within 3 metres of me in different directions.
lol

This is gonna be great :)

dawson
6th May 2004, 05:13 PM
Thinking of past Richmond - Sydney games at the SCG and only one comes to mind - Round 19 1996.

It was a beautiful August day and the same day that the City to Surf was run.

After having our lead at 3/4 time trimmed to 3 goals we exploded in the final quarter kicking eight goals to three.

Plugga kicked his 100th.

The Kangaroos lost so we were back in top spot.

Richmond dropped out of the eight.

The Richmond coach was one R.Walls. :D

Cher
6th May 2004, 05:49 PM
CTS - i'm travelling up from Melb for the day and sitting in the cheer squad, there's always lots of room and as long as you don't mind sitting behind the goals its great fun, just be sure you introduce yourself to Cathy when you arrive, she likes to know who the 'extras' are in cheer squad seats.

JF_Bay22_SCG
6th May 2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Cher
CTS - i'm travelling up from Melb for the day and sitting in the cheer squad, there's always lots of room and as long as you don't mind sitting behind the goals its great fun, just be sure you introduce yourself to Cathy when you arrive, she likes to know who the 'extras' are in cheer squad seats.

You got it Cher.

But firstly, what is your real name. Can't have to introduce people as "Cure the Sane". I got to meet "Cheer Cheer" last weekend, but god forbid would I not have the faintest what his real name was.

(Cher, with the aftermatch sticker thing, maybe have the RWO and the real name underneath, so we can make friends more easily.)

JF

j s
6th May 2004, 10:13 PM
CTS answers to "Martin"

CureTheSane
6th May 2004, 10:27 PM
I'll answer ro Martin,
Marty,
CTS,
Hey you drunk fool,
**** for brains,
etc

:D

Captain
6th May 2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
And as a further enticement (if you wear black trousers) I can see what I can do to get you on the banner with us

JF

Hey JF

Why do you guys need to wear black pants? Whats the go with the colours? Isn't wearing red and white the main aim???

anniswan
6th May 2004, 11:27 PM
We like to have a standard uniform in the CS to go onto the ground, it make us look a bit more organised. When you compared us to Essendon CS on Saturday I reckon we looked more professional so to speak.

I don't think anyone would wear white pants

wenkytesh
6th May 2004, 11:34 PM
if you feel as though you need a drink your always welcome at the MA noble bar from 11am till the teams run on - just look out for the dude with the long red hair and his co-horts.

Captain
6th May 2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by anniswan
We like to have a standard uniform in the CS to go onto the ground, it make us look a bit more organised. When you compared us to Essendon CS on Saturday I reckon we looked more professional so to speak.

I don't think anyone would wear white pants

Fair point Anni.

Can't say I have ever taken notice of the cheer squads before, let alone their professionalism.

wenkytesh
6th May 2004, 11:58 PM
well thats harsh - i love the cheersqaud, out there doin it or the boys, even the rogues who always suck me into the raffle tickets,
(they know who they are)

swansrock4eva
7th May 2004, 01:05 AM
I appreciate the ground offer, but it would be a bit of a pain with the kids.

Martin,
There are usually a few people around to mind the kids so if you do want to come out with us, let me know so i can remember to put you down :)

Anything else you want to know, just PM me or JF :)

CureTheSane
7th May 2004, 11:30 AM
I PMed you Gem
JF is full of..... messages so I couldn't PM him.

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th May 2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Captain
Hey JF

Why do you guys need to wear black pants? Whats the go with the colours? Isn't wearing red and white the main aim???

As Annie said, we try and create the feeling of having a sort of "uniform". Not only does it appear very smart, but it just looks less like we are a bedraggled bunch of disorganised supporters rather than an highly organised crew of people there to get the banner up, down, then off the field as quickly as we can.

To be brutally honest in individualist Sydney we have had all sorts of trouble trying to enforce the rule. Sometimes I find it a hassle myself (ie the finals when I looked more like a mixture between a drinks waiter and a clown, but still had to wear black pants)

I think they settled on black, because you can't get different shades of black. Had they opted for bone for example, you'd have had people wearing a range of trousers from off-white to light brown, which wouldn't look organised at all.

It is a rule. Sometimes it is annoying. But it is there for a reason. The club's sponsors shell out big money to support the club, so looking professional when on the field helps present the club and indirectly the people who are supporting us with their hard earned in a better light.

We apparently get new jackets on Sunday. At the Melbourne match the old jackets were sold for $20. They went in a snap. Of course I nabbed the one where the zipper had to be completely replaced.:rolleyes:

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th May 2004, 02:54 PM
I PMed you Gem
JF is full of..... messages so I couldn't PM him.

This is weird as at present there aren't any PMs in my PM inbox at all.

Can you have a squizz into this for me please Des?

JF

Mike_B
7th May 2004, 03:11 PM
Julian, my guess would be that you have been choosing to keep copies of sent items which are included in your message quota - try deleting these.

BAM_BAM
7th May 2004, 03:14 PM
the other thing with the black pants, I've always thought it was a similar uniform as to what the players wear match day. They have their black trousers with their designated Swans shirt.

I've noticed It stands out when someone in the C/S isn't wearing black. Well to me it did.