PDA

View Full Version : Training

swansrock4eva
15th January 2003, 02:46 PM
Was out and about near the SCG today so stopped by to have a peek at training. Saw about the last half hour or so.

Things I noticed:

Kells was there with his right arm in plaster
There seemed to be midfield and attack/defense drills happening and Micky O appeared to be doing some "coaching" of sorts for the attack/defense group
BBBH and Sunny and a couple of the younger guys trained separately
Willo is back training with the group and so is Stuey Maxfield, although his problem knee was still well strapped
Adam Goodes was leading them through their warm down stretches today (not sure if it was a one off thing or a regular thing)
Saddo and Tadhg appear to be a little bulkier than they were last year (that i noticed - come to think of it, most of the boys were looking pretty trim and may also have put on a bit more beef but not too much of the xmas or new year cheer type of beef!)
There were some media people there, but a they seemed to be more concerned with Kels than training :p

Most of the boys also did a couple of laps in groups of about 10, split by a few seconds, but it didn't appear to be a competitive thing, just a general "go do something!" sort of thing.

jude_boltons_babe
15th January 2003, 02:51 PM
thanks for the update i hope adam goodes and the others go really well this year

Dpw
16th January 2003, 09:37 PM
These posts are of real interest to me as there's absolutely nothing in the West on the swans.

We did have a surppoters club here when Barrasi was coach, but once Eade took over it got canned. Real shame we had a bout 40 - 50 members and the kids realy loved meeting the players.

So any info on training etc that anyone could post I would appreciate it .

Cheers

desredandwhite
16th January 2003, 09:41 PM
DPW, I reckon those of us over here IN sydney are almost as starved of info as you are :)

So basically, the more reports we have from people, the better!!! Good stuff, Gembo.

(Although the jay is complaining that she got sunburnt while watching and it's all your fault)

swansrock4eva
16th January 2003, 09:58 PM
hey i have sunburnt feet - imagine how that hurts with shoes other than the ones i was wearing!

TheJay
16th January 2003, 11:51 PM
Gembo somehow managed to get me to sit and watch on this rubbish on Wednesday. I think I must have been very sick.

On several ocassions I had the sudden urge to yell in my exceptional loud voice "c'arn the cats" but each time Gembo restrained me. I believe she owes me big for this!!!

As for my opinion of the training session, it was boring and none of the guys were that good looking despite Gembo pointing them out to me. Oh hang on, I'm going to get punched next time I see alot of you if I keep this up....it was...er...really really exciting, no really it was.

Much of the session before I feel alseep was concerntrating on your short ball game and making sure handballs hit their intended destinations. It will be interesting to see if these skills are carried over to the up and coming season.

desredandwhite
17th January 2003, 09:21 AM
She is sooooooooooo asking for it :D

All good. Were they filming the session on the cherrypicker this time Gembo? Very interesting seeing the highly expensive computer equipment they have in there!

TheJay
17th January 2003, 09:50 AM
Your threats don't scare me anymore Des. The water bottle has lost its powers.

swansrock4eva
17th January 2003, 09:51 AM
no the cherrypicker wasn't out, but a couple of handycams were. it seemed to be one of the more "basic" sessions - drills, a few laps etc - nothing like the 100x100's! (and damn i wish i'd seen that!). I'll try to make it over there on tuesday for some of it before the TLM pres.

TheMase
17th January 2003, 09:56 AM
Definetely asking for it :D

I just wish to make an out of the blue, anonymous tip, that Geelong will struggle in 2003 :p ;)

TheJay
17th January 2003, 10:14 AM
TheMase: Please tell me something that I don't already know!!! But I'm ready to support them still. At least they are sticking with the youth policy and hopefully in the long run it will be benificial.

desredandwhite
17th January 2003, 10:26 AM
Take your Geelong-sympathising posts to the General AFL board please :D

j s
17th January 2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
She is sooooooooooo asking for it :D
Asking for what Des?? :confused:

TheMase
17th January 2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by j s
Asking for what Des?? :confused:

Asking for it from Gemma ... giving the Swans players a hard time ... ;)

Mike_B
17th January 2003, 12:44 PM
Now now Gembo....it's not nice picking on people who are shorter than you:D

swansrock4eva
17th January 2003, 03:30 PM
hey she's big enuff to take care of herself! if she's gonna do nasty things whilst we are at training, i shall beat her up! simple as that! *raises fists in warning*

18th January 2003, 08:03 AM
You go girl :)

Ajn
18th January 2003, 10:29 AM
Glad about Sadds and kennelly because they REALLY needed to be more physically imposing, rather than getting brushed aside.

swansrock4eva
18th January 2003, 06:05 PM
Glad about Sadds and kennelly because they REALLY needed to be more physically imposing, rather than getting brushed aside.

I agree with you about Saddo - if we want him to be a KPP backman he needs to be tough, but Tiger i'm not so sure about - towards the end of last yr he was able to have a physical presence on the field, whilst still being a damn good running player. If he bulks up at the expense of his speed and agility, he may have troubles on the field because he is no longer suited to the position he seems to be being trained into. From the little i saw on Wednesday i don't think this is the case atm, but a fine line must be drawn, and I would expect David Misson is on top of it all :)

desredandwhite
18th January 2003, 06:25 PM
With Kennelly, it surprised me how aggressive he was in his first few games - I expect him to take a little longer to get used to the physical contact, but it was almost as if he couldn't wait to get stuck in after growing up playing a non-contact sport.

IMHO with him it is more a case of learning to read the play better, and how to approach the physical contact - ie: how to tackle effectively without giving away free kicks etc. I don't think he is as likely as Saddington to have to hold his ground in a key position - moreso floating about the ground as a midfielder or making cameo appearances in the forward line.

If anything, his pace is his best weapon.

liz
18th January 2003, 06:33 PM
With Kennelly...
If anything, his pace is his best weapon.

that plus his beautiful long kicks onto the chests of forwards

desredandwhite
18th January 2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by lizz
that plus his beautiful long kicks onto the chests of forwards

Too right, Liz. Was somewhat embarrassing last year to admit that one of the players with the best skills was a twig-like Irishman who had never seen a Sherrin 4 years ago! :D

TheMase
18th January 2003, 06:52 PM
Too right, Liz. Was somewhat embarrassing last year to admit that one of the players with the best skills was a twig-like Irishman who had never seen a Sherrin 4 years ago! :D

But this is just it.
With that rapid improvement, he will only get better.

And potentially (rears its ugly head again) it is scary how good he 'could' be.

Mind you I would settle for him being a solid player using that pace and great kick of his :D

Ajn
19th January 2003, 09:12 PM
Kennelly is as the article in the smh link says will be needed to play a combination of attacking and defending and this is where strength will be needed! A balance is the need.:cool:

20th January 2003, 03:53 PM
I don't know about Tadgh continuing with the rapid improvement that we have seen thus far masey. It's all to do with learning curves. His will platau shortly. To expect him to improve exponentially this season, comparatively with last season, is probably expecting a bit too much of the lad. He will improve most definitely, but lets not compare his learning rate season to season.

Rizzo
21st January 2003, 12:03 PM
I was also impressed with Kennelly's frantic arm waving and jumping up and down when on the mark. This lead me to think that the Swans should get Luffy in as the 'mark coach' as I recall that his unorthodox 'man on the mark' style put more than a few opponents kicks wayward ;-)